2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,566 | Reviews: 963 | Show All Ratings:
mwrseeley

1.1/5  rDev -72.8%

I have never tried a beer that I couldn't finish. My brother is the same. Well, yesterday we tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and neither of us could drink it.

What an experience! I must admit I am not a big fan of smoked food and I realize that this beer is probably an acquired taste but I will give Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen credit for initiating a lesson in recognizing excessive hubris on my part. I generally pride myself in my ability to eat or drink things that would make a billygoat sick but this stuff slapped me hard and put me in my place.

We did, however, put the beer to good use as a marinade for our barbecued chicken. Now that I can handle.

06-11-2006 22:24:39 | More by mwrseeley
tsbuttry

District of Columbia

1.15/5  rDev -71.5%

A friend of mine got this at a local bar (his review is actually somewhere below) and after punishing himself with a few sips, managed to goad me into indulging my own morbid curiosity.

While it has the appearance of any number of great German beers, that is where the praise ends for this beast.

Smell: I'm a smoker and I thought the smoky odor was overwhelming. Simply an assault upon the olfactory glands. It's the kind of smell that makes me desperately reach for a febreeze bottle, hoping that my parents don't notice that all of my clothes smell smokey.

Taste: To quote Barney Gumble "Someone spilled beer in this ashtray!"

Mouthfeel: See above.

Drinkability: I had about two sips before my carcrash fascination wore off and I pushed it back to my friend.

12-18-2007 22:28:36 | More by tsbuttry
dvb

Washington

1.2/5  rDev -70.3%

I hate to slam a beer, but this was amazingly bad. I've had a smoked porter before and didn't like that either, but this was far worse. My wife said it "smells like Band-Aids" and she has a point. This beer smells smoky (obviously) and at the same time medicinal. For me, it was like someone scooped up the coals of a burned down building and made a tea out of them by steeping them in beer. Truly awful.

10-15-2009 03:13:25 | More by dvb
SaintMarysGirl

1.2/5  rDev -70.3%

No head smells like beef jerky taste like a campfire or beechwood lingers in the cup as well has a heavy mouthfill it stays in your mouth after a few swallows I wouldn't recommend this beer it has a very bitter taste but the smoke makes it hard to get past anything else the smell hits you right away not a good beer

01-27-2012 03:00:51 | More by SaintMarysGirl
edmedina

1.27/5  rDev -68.6%

Oh god...what was I thinking. This is a smokebeer. I don't know I didn't catch that before. I smelled and tasted like bacon. I am not a fan of bacon. The pour was ok. It was a light brown really. However, the hint of smoke or as I call it bacon was just over powering. After my first sip I was tempted to pour it out. However, I stuck it out and was left with the same feeling. It wasn't that good.

03-17-2007 04:49:29 | More by edmedina
Ardon

1.3/5  rDev -67.8%

Well, what can I say. This is definantly the most unique beer I have ever tried. However in this case it is not a good thing. This beer would make a wonderful cooking beer but for drinking it is possibly one of the worst I have ever tasted. The smell and flavour are just not something I want to drink. Very hickory smoked ham. Used to flavour a chili it would be wonderful, but like I said, as a drink the nastiest thing in the world. Literally like drinking smoked ham.

02-01-2004 04:02:49 | More by Ardon
clvand0

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -66.6%

This beer pours a brown color with minimal head and lacing. The aroma is the weirdest that I've noticed - smells like honey hickory smoke barbecue sauce - wonderful aroma. The taste wasn't very good though. It tasted just like it smelled, but for some reason the taste wasn't good at all. Can't say much more, but the taste was terrible.

08-15-2003 18:18:07 | More by clvand0
kimcgolf

Georgia

1.63/5  rDev -59.7%

I tried this beer’s Urbock cousin last year, and thought it was the worst crap I have ever had. However, I drank it without food on a cool afternoon, so I decided to try again.

This time, I had the Marzen with grilled brats on a hot summer’s eve, complete with spicy mustard and kraut. If I’m ever going to like it, now’s the time, I figured.

Unfortunately, the intense smoky aspect totally dominated the aroma, flavor and finish, to the point where I was alternating bites of Brat with sips of beer, just to get it down.

I have somewhat enjoyed beers with a smoky tint (Great Lakes Engine 20 comes to mind), but the smoke is much too dominant in this Aecht Schlenkerla line for me.

I REALLY tried on this one, but it can best be summed up like this:

Set a pile of old clothes on fire, extinguish it with a bucket of water and drink the runoff.

07-08-2007 14:01:30 | More by kimcgolf
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

1.78/5  rDev -55.9%

I sampled this recently and although it was my first Rauchbier and I try to be respectful to style, etc, I just have to put up a review of this because it struck me so strongly.

A: Pours brown with red hues when held to the light, about an 1.5 inch off-white head that slowly dissipates.

S: Smoke, smoke, and more smoke. Smells exactly like the hickory liquid smoke I use in cooking. I can't distinguish anything from the smoke and wood.

T: Just like the nose, it's liquid smoke on wood. I really don't get any hop flavors and I get just a little brown bread malt. It's like drinking hickory liquid smoke. Seriously.

M: This is easily the best thing about this beer. There's light carbonation and the body is surprisingly viscous for the ABV. It's a pleasant texture.

O: I really tried to give this style and beer a fair chance, but it's just repulsive. Don't get me wrong, I love smoked food and I used liquid smoke a ton, but this is JUST smoke. This is the first beer I nearly spit out upon first contact...

03-23-2011 03:46:50 | More by Satchboogie
cro250klr

1.8/5  rDev -55.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Saw the bottle in the cooler and had to try it. A good looking bottle has to have good beer in it. Not at all what I had expected. I love Stone Smoked Porter. I figured since this was a German offering it had to be as good if not better. Alas, there are some things the Germans aren't good at. The pour looked real good, deep dark with a light head. The carbonation seemed nice. I'm not a fan of high carbed brews like Saisons. Then came the nose. Wow! I've thrown wet newspapers on a fire that had a better smell. A cross between Kipper snacks and smoked oysters. While I love both of those, that kind of smoke flavor doesn't work here. The taste, the same, that same nauceous smoke is on the tongue now. The mouth was extremely light. I had a hard time with this one so, needless to say, drinkability didn't impress me at all. I've had other smoke brews since, always going at them a little gun shy after this. However, none have been this bad. I'll stick to a Stone from now on.

03-29-2005 18:33:59 | More by cro250klr
kbnooshay

1.83/5  rDev -54.7%

After a good review from a friend and seeing a story on the brewery on tv i was excited to try this beer. I could not have imagined that after 350 reviews that this would be my first drain pour. Maybe I have weird taste buts but this almost made me sick.

This poured a beautiful dark ruby with a thin white head. The smell was of super strong wood smoke. It smelled liek burning rubber and at times it smelled like burnt BBQ. THe flavor was of burnt BBQ ribs. While the taste was not quite as bad as the smell it was still nasty. Tasted like rubber that was burnt to shit.
Feel was thin and carbonated.

This isn't working for me.

Again, maybe my tastebuds were weird that night or maybe it was a bad bottle.

02-12-2009 06:45:11 | More by kbnooshay
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.9/5  rDev -53%

500ml Bottle from Peckhams, Glasgow (£2.75):
Reddish brown to mahogany colour with an inch tall, slightly off -white head that is quite bubbly and manages to stay quite well with only a slight reduction in size over the course of a few minutes.

The strangest smelling beer I have ever had and that was my opinion without giving it a proper whiff. There was an overpowering ham aroma right off the bat and that was almost putting me off trying it. It was quite smoky and had a little bit of wood in there once it began to open up a little. The only thing that was noticeable without really close inspection was the strong smell of cured ham and it wasn't all that pleasant.

A strong smoked taste to begin with, there is also some of the cured ham but thankfully it wasn't as strong as the aroma. There was a malty base to it along with some peat and wood to it. The meaty taste is one that lingers for some time after the sip and overall it was quite a strong flavoured beer and has quite a strong oak flavour to it.

Smooth and medium bodied with a strong wood feel to it. There is also a lingering meat and bitter flavour.

Not a good beer at all, this one had such a strange and unusual taste that it wasn't enjoyable at all. It was a hard one to get your head round as it basically tasted like a ham or broth and nothing like a beer for the most part. There was a smoky flavour in there but it wasn't a beer that I liked at all.

11-05-2012 15:59:59 | More by flyingpig
ElGrecoVerde

1.98/5  rDev -51%

I like bacon, and I like beer. But I don't like bacon in my beer.

The first thing I noticed while pouring this brown beer was the overwhelming smoked smell. This was my first smoked beer, and I was taken by surprise. Hickory bacon and barbecue sauce dominate the nose.

The taste was extremely smoky. Again, bacon, and lots of it, cooked over a campfire. Am I drinking beer or having a drunk cowboy's breakfast? I just needed to slap on some spurs and start telling folk stories around the campfire.

I couldn't finish this beer. I'll be sure to keep away from beers labeled "smoked" in the near future. Maybe when I'm older I'll revisit them. And maybe I'll look for ones in smaller bottles.

02-06-2008 14:44:19 | More by ElGrecoVerde
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

This was my first smoked beer to review and I must say that is not a favorite class for me. The poor review is more a reflection of the dislike of the class than the quality of beer itself.

A. A deep amber color with a healthy head. The head dissipates while leaving good lacing.

S. Like liquid smoke. Burnt malt.

T. Wow, hard to handle. like licking a smoked porkchop.

M. Except for the taste not bad.

D. Not great. However, over in Germany is was often said that you must have more than one. Follow the first with a shot of schnapps and then it gets better.

07-04-2007 18:30:50 | More by MarkSCCOT
Bierfreund

2.1/5  rDev -48%

My wife is German, but from the North. There they have all kinds of local Pilsner, but not specialties like Icebeer or Smoked Beers. So when we found this Franconian specialty, of course the temptation was huge to try this. Other beer connaisseurs warned us, but she could not resist and bought it. Luckily just one single bottle!

Poured darkred-brown into mug, thick off-white head crowning. The smokey aroma is noticeable already.

The first sip hits, full smokey now.

Foam is thick and creamy, but is vanishing fast. After 2 minutes it is completely gone, leaving behind a very thin layer. But there is a lot of lacing.

The taste is so heavily smokey, it is overwhelming any other tastes and aromas.

Mouthfeel is ashtray-y.

Taste is not improving with time.

Bitter aftertaste, but smoke is still overwhelmingly on top. I imagine I drank from an ashtray.

I wonder how this beer would taste if it was blended with something milder?

This reminds me of Tarry Lapsang Souchong, a chinese smoked tea that tastes very similar to this beer. That tea cannot be enjoyed purely, but when blended 20/80 with milder teas from China, India and Ceylon, it becomes a wonderful delicassy.
Now I really wonder how this Franconian beer would perform if it was blended with milder beers, or even sodas.

If I ever get another bottle of this brew, I will definately mix it to try some improvements. It is not enjoyable to drink this pure. You might as well lick an ashtray.

05-08-2008 04:37:37 | More by Bierfreund
tone77

2.13/5  rDev -47.3%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a very dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of smoked meats. Taste is unlike anything I have had before. Smoke, bacon, meaty, I can see where it would appeal to some but I was unable to finish it. Feels medium bodied and unpleasant in the mouth and overall I did not enjoy it at all.

03-10-2012 14:13:33 | More by tone77
specksnreds

2.17/5  rDev -46.3%

Not a fan. But it's probably me, and not the beer. Beautiful dark brown, nearly black, pour with a nice medium bubble carbonation. Smell was smokey and pleasant. I was a bit startled at the level of smoke aroma and it was all I could detect. Taste was unbearably of cough medicine. I'm talking the stuff from the 60's that made no attempt to hide its medicinal qualities. I tried to pick out other flavors, but I just couldn't. A little thin on the palate.

This is by far one of the most unique beers I've ever tried. I REALLY wanted to like it, but I couldn't. Again, "It's not you, baby, It's me."

07-10-2010 21:20:48 | More by specksnreds
DaveBar

2.24/5  rDev -44.6%

Purchased this 500ml bottle at the LCBO for just under $4.00.

A- Excellent! Opened very well, poured high with head with a very dark rich looking foam

S- Very good. Hints of smoke shine through along with herbs

T- Absolutely horrible. Worst beer by far I have had. I tried but ended up pouring down the sink after 5 sips. This one is smoky in a fake flavor sort of way

M- Pretty good but it just doesn't help the taste factor

O- The taste dragged this one down badly. Just a personal choice

Food Pairing

I didn't even want to have a 6th sip let alone eat something.

01-28-2014 00:08:26 | More by DaveBar
canadianbarman

Alberta (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -43.1%

--Regular 1 pint brown bottle, no freshness date to be found.
--Poured a dark ruby like in color. Started out with a nice head that quickly dissipated to almost nothing.
--Smelled a smell I have never had before. Obviously a smoky smell that was comparable to smoked salmon.

This was my first foray into a rauchbier and, as one of the brothers stated, either you like it or you don't. Unfortunataly I am not quite ready for this taste yet. It tasted like it smelled and was almost overpowering to me. Maybe I am naive but I have tried smoked beers and that is the taste that I expected. This was just too much for me as the smell and taste still lingered long after I had finished the beer. Later on, as my skills progress, I would like to try another one.
Thx

10-03-2003 16:37:32 | More by canadianbarman
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

Well first of all, I'm not a rauchbier fan, so take this review as a review from an outsider.

The beer looks good. A little thin dark brown pour. Smells decent. If salty had a smell, it would be it. The taste is tough to swallow. Salty smoked sausage? Maybe some bacon. Tastes like beer made with day old breakfast meat. Mouthfeel comes off the same way, like you've got old liquid meat in your mouth. As a result its not very drinkable.

The weird thing, I love grilling, bacon, sausage. Just not as part of my beer. Who knows, maybe I'll try this again when my palate is more developed. Heaven knows SN porter and stout were tough for me 10 years ago, now I love them. . .

11-28-2009 16:16:05 | More by Beerandraiderfan
blackc5

Washington

2.42/5  rDev -40.1%

Well, I am perhaps just not a real smoke beer fan, but I had higher hopes for this. In this case, the smoke simply overpowers any other flavor elements of the beer. I like a subtle smokiness in porters, but for me at least this is just too much smoke. The nose is nice - definitely smells interesting - like a rustic campfire. The taste is just too much like a mix of smoked bacon and cigarettes for me. I love smoked bacon, all smoked foods actually, but can't say I really enjoyed it in liquid form... Perhaps with food it would be better, but by itself, the flavor is almost repulsive actually.

As for mouthfeel, it is light and fairly smooth, but I can practically sense the carcinogens suspended in this as I swallow. Needless to say, drinkability suffers because of the offputting flavors. Definitely a unique experience, and surely an acquired taste - one I can't really see myself trying to hard to develop.

08-13-2009 04:35:36 | More by blackc5
jackndan

2.45/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier A very smoked German marzen. I had a small sample of this on tap, and thank god, because there was no way I could have finished a pint. Heavily smoked flavor and aroma. Do not think a roaring fire in your fireplace smoked, think great Chicago fire smoked. Just a hint of molasses taste, but to me it way to much smoke. Not for the faint of heart. I tweaked the numbers up, a little because this is clearly a well made beer, but It reminded me off dgging through my friends apartment after it had been burnt to the ground.

09-17-2002 11:11:59 | More by jackndan
Boto

Connecticut

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

Imperial Pint Bottle: This beer pours an almost clear, brown color. There was about no head to it, although it was a little carbonated. The aroma was smokey, even bordering on the aroma of smoked fish. Nothing else seems to be able to get through. The taste is smokey also. A bit of maltiness in the background. This just doesn’t get it for me.

04-30-2004 20:35:00 | More by Boto
Guinness4me

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%

I thought I'd at least try this without reviewing, but I feel compelled after tasting. It looks like a decent dark beer, but the the description of the smell is not easily broken down into the choices given. It's anything but average, but to some I'm sure it's wonderful As aromas go, I'm sure this is a very good smell for smoked beers. It just happens to be my first and I'm a bit shocked.

The taste is that of the liquid at the bottom of the pan from when you've baked a nice, juicy smoked ham. I'm not sure if I'm appalled or intrigued. I keep trying it again to see if it really tastes as it does.

It's a non-offensive mouthfeel. It tastes like my hair smells when I've sat around a camp fire for hours.

Drinkability? I'll drink it. But I feel like I should be eating beef jerky, too. Maybe it would be nice with a full country breakfast.

08-16-2004 01:28:59 | More by Guinness4me
Spidey13

Kentucky

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%

This beer pours a very pretty, clear, deep amber/red with a small white head. The nose has lots of bacon and smoke and that's about it.

The tastes starts off with lots of bacon and/or country ham. There is a bit of hop flavor afterwards and some bitterness, followed by some smokiness in the back of your nostrils afterwards. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit slick with medium/high carbonation.

Overall, I really couldn't stomach much of this beer. It felt like drinking bacon grease or something. It was interesting, and fun to try, but not a beer I can drink much of.

02-26-2009 03:14:33 | More by Spidey13