Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros

kilobees, May 09, 2014

Urik, Sep 21, 2014

cfalovo97, Nov 07, 2012

kabritz, Sep 22, 2013

SoCaliC8, Jan 17, 2014
1.1/5  rDev -72.8%

I have never tried a beer that I couldn't finish. My brother is the same. Well, yesterday we tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and neither of us could drink it.

What an experience! I must admit I am not a big fan of smoked food and I realize that this beer is probably an acquired taste but I will give Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen credit for initiating a lesson in recognizing excessive hubris on my part. I generally pride myself in my ability to eat or drink things that would make a billygoat sick but this stuff slapped me hard and put me in my place.

We did, however, put the beer to good use as a marinade for our barbecued chicken. Now that I can handle.

mwrseeley, Jun 11, 2006
1.15/5  rDev -71.5%

A friend of mine got this at a local bar (his review is actually somewhere below) and after punishing himself with a few sips, managed to goad me into indulging my own morbid curiosity.

While it has the appearance of any number of great German beers, that is where the praise ends for this beast.

Smell: I'm a smoker and I thought the smoky odor was overwhelming. Simply an assault upon the olfactory glands. It's the kind of smell that makes me desperately reach for a febreeze bottle, hoping that my parents don't notice that all of my clothes smell smokey.

Taste: To quote Barney Gumble "Someone spilled beer in this ashtray!"

Mouthfeel: See above.

Drinkability: I had about two sips before my carcrash fascination wore off and I pushed it back to my friend.

tsbuttry, Dec 18, 2007
1.2/5  rDev -70.3%

I hate to slam a beer, but this was amazingly bad. I've had a smoked porter before and didn't like that either, but this was far worse. My wife said it "smells like Band-Aids" and she has a point. This beer smells smoky (obviously) and at the same time medicinal. For me, it was like someone scooped up the coals of a burned down building and made a tea out of them by steeping them in beer. Truly awful.

dvb, Oct 15, 2009
1.2/5  rDev -70.3%

No head smells like beef jerky taste like a campfire or beechwood lingers in the cup as well has a heavy mouthfill it stays in your mouth after a few swallows I wouldn't recommend this beer it has a very bitter taste but the smoke makes it hard to get past anything else the smell hits you right away not a good beer

SaintMarysGirl, Jan 27, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -69.1%

jonmikel, May 18, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -69.1%

TheBeeraholic, Jun 15, 2013
1.27/5  rDev -68.6%

Oh god...what was I thinking. This is a smokebeer. I don't know I didn't catch that before. I smelled and tasted like bacon. I am not a fan of bacon. The pour was ok. It was a light brown really. However, the hint of smoke or as I call it bacon was just over powering. After my first sip I was tempted to pour it out. However, I stuck it out and was left with the same feeling. It wasn't that good.

edmedina, Mar 17, 2007
1.3/5  rDev -67.8%

Well, what can I say. This is definantly the most unique beer I have ever tried. However in this case it is not a good thing. This beer would make a wonderful cooking beer but for drinking it is possibly one of the worst I have ever tasted. The smell and flavour are just not something I want to drink. Very hickory smoked ham. Used to flavour a chili it would be wonderful, but like I said, as a drink the nastiest thing in the world. Literally like drinking smoked ham.

Ardon, Feb 01, 2004
1.35/5  rDev -66.6%

This beer pours a brown color with minimal head and lacing. The aroma is the weirdest that I've noticed - smells like honey hickory smoke barbecue sauce - wonderful aroma. The taste wasn't very good though. It tasted just like it smelled, but for some reason the taste wasn't good at all. Can't say much more, but the taste was terrible.

clvand0, Aug 15, 2003

Dayman766, Jan 03, 2014

suckaj, Aug 03, 2014

jryanj927, Aug 11, 2013

heytomcat, Aug 22, 2013
1.63/5  rDev -59.7%

I tried this beer’s Urbock cousin last year, and thought it was the worst crap I have ever had. However, I drank it without food on a cool afternoon, so I decided to try again.

This time, I had the Marzen with grilled brats on a hot summer’s eve, complete with spicy mustard and kraut. If I’m ever going to like it, now’s the time, I figured.

Unfortunately, the intense smoky aspect totally dominated the aroma, flavor and finish, to the point where I was alternating bites of Brat with sips of beer, just to get it down.

I have somewhat enjoyed beers with a smoky tint (Great Lakes Engine 20 comes to mind), but the smoke is much too dominant in this Aecht Schlenkerla line for me.

I REALLY tried on this one, but it can best be summed up like this:

Set a pile of old clothes on fire, extinguish it with a bucket of water and drink the runoff.

kimcgolf, Jul 08, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

XenonX, Oct 14, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

jborg, Aug 02, 2013
1.78/5  rDev -55.9%

I sampled this recently and although it was my first Rauchbier and I try to be respectful to style, etc, I just have to put up a review of this because it struck me so strongly.

A: Pours brown with red hues when held to the light, about an 1.5 inch off-white head that slowly dissipates.

S: Smoke, smoke, and more smoke. Smells exactly like the hickory liquid smoke I use in cooking. I can't distinguish anything from the smoke and wood.

T: Just like the nose, it's liquid smoke on wood. I really don't get any hop flavors and I get just a little brown bread malt. It's like drinking hickory liquid smoke. Seriously.

M: This is easily the best thing about this beer. There's light carbonation and the body is surprisingly viscous for the ABV. It's a pleasant texture.

O: I really tried to give this style and beer a fair chance, but it's just repulsive. Don't get me wrong, I love smoked food and I used liquid smoke a ton, but this is JUST smoke. This is the first beer I nearly spit out upon first contact...

Satchboogie, Mar 23, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -55.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Saw the bottle in the cooler and had to try it. A good looking bottle has to have good beer in it. Not at all what I had expected. I love Stone Smoked Porter. I figured since this was a German offering it had to be as good if not better. Alas, there are some things the Germans aren't good at. The pour looked real good, deep dark with a light head. The carbonation seemed nice. I'm not a fan of high carbed brews like Saisons. Then came the nose. Wow! I've thrown wet newspapers on a fire that had a better smell. A cross between Kipper snacks and smoked oysters. While I love both of those, that kind of smoke flavor doesn't work here. The taste, the same, that same nauceous smoke is on the tongue now. The mouth was extremely light. I had a hard time with this one so, needless to say, drinkability didn't impress me at all. I've had other smoke brews since, always going at them a little gun shy after this. However, none have been this bad. I'll stick to a Stone from now on.

cro250klr, Mar 29, 2005
1.83/5  rDev -54.7%

After a good review from a friend and seeing a story on the brewery on tv i was excited to try this beer. I could not have imagined that after 350 reviews that this would be my first drain pour. Maybe I have weird taste buts but this almost made me sick.

This poured a beautiful dark ruby with a thin white head. The smell was of super strong wood smoke. It smelled liek burning rubber and at times it smelled like burnt BBQ. THe flavor was of burnt BBQ ribs. While the taste was not quite as bad as the smell it was still nasty. Tasted like rubber that was burnt to shit.
Feel was thin and carbonated.

This isn't working for me.

Again, maybe my tastebuds were weird that night or maybe it was a bad bottle.

kbnooshay, Feb 12, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -53%

500ml Bottle from Peckhams, Glasgow (£2.75):
Reddish brown to mahogany colour with an inch tall, slightly off -white head that is quite bubbly and manages to stay quite well with only a slight reduction in size over the course of a few minutes.

The strangest smelling beer I have ever had and that was my opinion without giving it a proper whiff. There was an overpowering ham aroma right off the bat and that was almost putting me off trying it. It was quite smoky and had a little bit of wood in there once it began to open up a little. The only thing that was noticeable without really close inspection was the strong smell of cured ham and it wasn't all that pleasant.

A strong smoked taste to begin with, there is also some of the cured ham but thankfully it wasn't as strong as the aroma. There was a malty base to it along with some peat and wood to it. The meaty taste is one that lingers for some time after the sip and overall it was quite a strong flavoured beer and has quite a strong oak flavour to it.

Smooth and medium bodied with a strong wood feel to it. There is also a lingering meat and bitter flavour.

Not a good beer at all, this one had such a strange and unusual taste that it wasn't enjoyable at all. It was a hard one to get your head round as it basically tasted like a ham or broth and nothing like a beer for the most part. There was a smoky flavour in there but it wasn't a beer that I liked at all.

flyingpig, Nov 05, 2012