Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
stopmakingsteve

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I bought this on a whim at Selfridge's in London because the description they had posted sounded interesting. It's a 500 mL bottle, with all the labels in German, and some sort of freshness dating on the back that is either not legibly filled out or is too complicated for me to understand. It pours a dark reddish brown, with not too much head, into a normal pint glass.

The smell immediately reminds me of bacon or smoked ham. The sign at the store said it would, and it recommended drinking with smoked meat or barbeque. I don't have a grill or any meat, but I perservere onward.

It's creamy and smooth, very easy to drink, and the smokiness is readily apparent. It reminds me of eating jerky. It's a bit fruity, but not very sweet, and it's reminiscent of the less bitter bitters I've had. I like it a lot. At this point I really wish I were eating barbeque.

05-06-2005 23:54:15 | More by stopmakingsteve
Natural510

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

500ml bottle, no freshness dating.

Pours a dark, dark brown with ruby highlights. Thick mountain of dense, off-white head. Very inviting.
Smells strongly of smoked jerky and wood-fire, prototypical to the style.
Flavor is similar to the aroma: heavy, wooded peat-smoke with a sweet malty edge, which I suppose is what puts this in the marzen category. Juicy, medium-bodied, with a dry, pine-hop finish.
The best rauchbier I've tasted. You certainly have to be in the mood for one of these, but when that time comes, this is the most delicious, not to mention drinkable, of the lot. Perfect for the autumn season.

10-20-2009 13:29:51 | More by Natural510
DaPan

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle from the LCBO. Found this beer in the book titled "1000 Beers you must taste before you die", now known as my bucket list.

Popped the cap and was immediately greeted by the smell of smoked ham! The pour was perfect, nice tight pale head, dissipated slowly. Dark brownish red colour, clear, filtered.

Aromas of smoked ham, dense malt and bacon on the nose. Definitely a different experience for me. Didn’t know what to expect with this one.

Taste reminded me of the aftermath of a great open fire, where chunks of bacon were roasted over the open flame. Hard core smokiness, bacon and malty goodness. Very little bitterness on the front.

Long, lingering smoke, malty sweetness in the finish.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the smoked Marzen, but this was a very nice taste experience.

02-09-2012 04:01:42 | More by DaPan
orangemoustache

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I've saved this bottle for my 100th review and now i'm glad that I did.This pours dark and almost purple looking until held to direct light then it reveals deep mahogany with lots of red,the cap is almond and leaves polka dot lacing as it dissapates.The smell is almost all smoke(like a jumbo smoked turkey leg) with hints of fresh cut oak timbers and leather.This tastes like smoked ham and suttle clove,it's mostly malty with burnt tobacco notes,the flavors sound overwhelming but are anything but,this is a medium body brew,not heavy like I expected,I am impressed.

04-27-2008 19:50:18 | More by orangemoustache
ummswimmin

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

This chubby bottle (500ml) came when I was trying something new. I had a rauchbeer once before at a German restaurant in Queens, and I looked forward to trying something new.

I poured the bottle into a pint glass. There was a one finger head.

I could smell the smoke coming from the beer right off the pour. The smell was very strong, but it wasn't unpleasant. I took a sniff shortly after the pour, and I smelled campfire. It reminded me of when I used to go camping. All I could smell was the smoke. Having been warned that this was coming, the smell was not over whelming.

Took a first drink, surprisingly thin body. I expected a little heavier than that, but the thinner body balances out the very strong flavor. The smoke comes through each drink. I also taste pork/bacon in the flavors, which comes from the smoke and other ingredients... at least I hope I didn't just have meat during lent on a Friday.

I liked the beer, and I want to try it again with some German sausage or roast saurbraaten. I just don't want a splinter from all the charred wook making this (just a joke, that isn't possible).

04-03-2011 01:36:43 | More by ummswimmin
thatothermitch

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Deep, rich brown, clear with little head

S / T: Amazingly smoky aroma, reminiscent of bacon, bbq, or wood-fires.

M: The smoky taste lingered on my palate for quite some time

D: I don't think I could have more than one bottle on its own; perhaps i'd make it into my second with some fine bbq to go along with it

11-06-2008 04:59:48 | More by thatothermitch
loving44

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

This is one wild style!!

I have been going on a smoked beer kick for a while and this one was recommended by Jason at Naja's.

Pours dark, almost like a porter or a darker than usual English Brown Ale.

The smell is WONDERFUL!! There is no mistaking the smoke, as a previous reviewer had stated, it's just like a campfire ( not a weird hobo palet-burning campfire, but a campfire you would want to eat hahaha).

This beer tastes like smoked meat... strange but also very nice! This would go great with some bbq, or strong cheese.

Mouthfeel was light and slightly creamy.

I'm going to give this a little above average on drinkability... I could have had another one... but the flavors are so strong and unique I had to stop myself at just one!

Give this one a try!!

04-07-2006 21:39:28 | More by loving44
likestoswallow

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

500 ml bottle from Bevmo. This beer pours a very dark bark brown, with a cream colored head that slowly dissipates. The aroma is very strong with smoke and roasted malts. Flavor is very smoke forward, there is a character of smoked kielbasa, bacon, coffee and some earthy notes. Hops are well integrated and barely noticeable(no surprise considering the strong smoke flavor). The mouthfeel is silky but thin, carbonation is light but adequate. Finishes long with more smoke flavor. Overall I really like this beer, it has big bold flavors. Recommended

11-03-2007 16:10:44 | More by likestoswallow
BrewMan13

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Mmmm...smoke! This beer is a classic example, for me, of how tastes can change. The 1st time, I thought the idea of a beer that had flavors of bacon drippings sounded great, but I didnt like its execution. Fast forward like 1.5-2 years later and I love it. In fact, I wish it was smokier! As it is, its hard to decide my favorite of the Heller-Trum Rauchbiers, likely this one as its probably the smokiest one of the bunch (Urbock is the other contender).
Decent appearance, good clarity. Sort of a dark-orange, but without much head staying power.
Smells like campfire smoke. Tastes the same, but not as "in-your-face" as I remembered. I mean, the smokiness is the only really noticeable aspect (maybe a hint of caramel malt under there), but its not overpowering, to me. Then again I loved smoked meats, smoked peppers, smoked cheeses, etc.
Its light bodied and with a low abv. Definitely highly sessionable, though I dont session much of anything too often.
This is great, I wish there were more smoked beers around. I've been drinking them up lately, but there arent many others. Guess I'll have to buy this whenever I want a smoke fix.

06-05-2006 03:01:58 | More by BrewMan13
krunchie

Sweden

Served in a Chimay glass at 13.3°C

A: Very dark red. Almost like red wine around the edges. Looks very elegant! Tan head, doesn't last for long - fine lacing though.

S: Coffee and tobacco. Smoked malt (no shit), smoked ham and dark meat dishes. A bit salty nose.

T: Woah! I'm usually not a big fan of smoked beers (my Nils Oscar Rökporter review, for example, were among my worst reviews), but this one is...just wow. Once again coffee and smoked ham. Salty roastiness and very subtle bittering hops. Outstanding to say the least

M: Thick, but mild despite the saltiness. Usually I think the smoke flavor takes too much space in rauchbiers, but it never does with this beer imho.

D: Very good for this style, but you can't drink too many in one sitting

Conclusion: Great rauchbier! It's beers like Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier that make beer tasting so exciting, inspiring and fascinating! Dark red liquid with tan lacing and coffee and tobacco smell. Smokey overall smell/aroma/flavor, but not overwhelming compared to other brews in the style. Smoked ham, salty meat dishes and coffee are the greatest characteristics of the taste. Would work great with (obviously) smoked dishes, pork and fish (smoked mackerel comes to mind) or even ye ole' BBQ.

02-26-2009 21:26:14 | More by krunchie
plaid75

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a medium amber hue with a one finger rocky white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a meaty smoke that seemingly hovered over the rim if the glass like an autumn fog.

The taste was also smoke driven with the same thick chewy smoke leaping from the glass. Secondary grainy malts were detected along with a touch of caramel.

The mouthfeel was full with a fine tingling sensation added from the smoke.

Overall a superior rauchbier.

09-20-2011 16:04:41 | More by plaid75
CHickman

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a clear amber brown color with a 2 inch thick creamy tan head that took a while to go down; smells like smoked bacon, charcoal, sweet roasted malt, chocolate and smoked hickory - a very unique odor which reminds me more of brunch than a beer. Could be one of the best smelling beers I've encountered if for nothing else it's pleasant aroma and my association with having a nice meal at an outdoor event with a massive fire pit.

Tastes just like it smells: sweet roasted malt, chocolate or coffee, smoked hickory, caramel, smoked bacon, toast, charcoal...it's a campfire flavored beer in a very good way. The beer is surprisingly light and crisp considering the smoky nose, and it actually finishes dry with some malt and hop flavors.

I want to thank my friend Jim for giving me this beer as this was a great and unique brew that I could enjoy once or twice a year. This beer is not for everyone, but for the adventurous beer drinker this is a must try beer as it was so aromatic that it almost overwhelms the senses, but the flavor is very good and not nearly as dramatic as the smell. A very good beer which is a nice one to sip and savor. I can imagine this going quite well with some bread and cheese.

10-28-2009 02:41:39 | More by CHickman
JayS2629

Alabama

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

I can't help but to compare this to their urbock which was much more dominant in smoke but counterbalanced well with a honey taste. This was still top notch, just not as balanced or smokey as the other. Still...here goes the review.

It poured a fairly dark amber with a medium tan head that stuck around ok and left some sea foam lacing.

The aroma up front was of bacon with an underlying caramel and toffee smell. Some earthy notes, campfire, and woody notes.

The taste starts out with a cut of bacon that drifts into a nice malty caramel, and toffee blend. A nice touch of earthy hops is in the finish and the campfire, smokey, baked ham flavor comes through in the afterbreath. Overall it is a nicely balanced flavor that isn't overbearing. The Marzen beer shines only highlighted with a start and finish of a nice smokey flavor.

It was a little thin, but a nice warmth and dry finish. Overall it was delicious. This is a sipper to enjoy with a smokey meal. Perhaps a meatlovers pizza?

07-09-2011 00:43:13 | More by JayS2629
DaveHS

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

A very nice rauchbier, that I recently had the privelege of trying in a party ball (miniature keg). For my PA people, you can get them at SHANGY's in Emmaus for $22.00. Francisweizen and I are enjoying one right now. Strong rich smokey flavor. Very mellow, warm mouthfeel. One of the tastiest marzens I have had. The initial flavor comes smooth and slow, and builds to a full, minutely bitter finish. If you are in the market for a nice Rauchbier, this is probably one of your best options.

03-28-2008 04:39:38 | More by DaveHS
neenerzig

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Reviewed from notes as I drank this close to 3 months ago now when I was at the Publick House while visiting my twin sister in Boston. Poured into a tall glass, a unique looking glass that I have never seen quite anything like before. The glass sort of curves. Anyways, this beer was a clear, dark amber color with a white head 1/3 inch thick when poured. This beer is a clear dark amber color. Good lace. Has a nice roasted caramel malt and spice aroma. Also has a nice caramel malt flavor along with a bit of spice, like sweet barbecued meat being cooked over a wood fire. Has a nice smooth and frothy, slightly crisp mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink. A good beer here from what I remember.

Eric

01-12-2009 04:50:09 | More by neenerzig
granger10

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

I don't know what to think of this beer. It is different than anything I have ever tried. I've had some smoked beers in the past, but these Rauchbiers are on another level. Personally, I can't handle this beer! Too strong of a smoked flavor for me. It is hard for me to rate this beer so low because it seems to be a high quality crafted beer. But this is my first Rauchbier so I can't compare it to others. Tastes like smoked salmon, esp. in the aftertaste. Malts are there at the beginning and middle but dissapear after that leaving only a strong smoked flavor. I might try this again later when my palate is more advanced, but for now the rating stays.

Ok, that first review was a few years ago and since then I have tried the Marzen numerous times and I really do love it. I have come to embrace the smokiness and almost crave it when smoking meats on the grill. I like the sweetness of the malts and how they balance the smoke flavors a bit. I would love to try this or the Urbock from the cask at the brewery.

07-23-2003 13:58:36 | More by granger10
juju7

Australia

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

God I love these beers. If you like things smoked (cheese, salmon, ribs, BBQ sauce etc) you can't go past this. Mind you, it isn't some kind of novelty beer. This has structure, balance and flavour in spades. Beautiful smokey, tar, coffee on the nose with a very pleasant dry, charcoal-like presence on the palate. Enjoyed this with a rump steak with wild mmushrooms and peppercorns and it rocked the house.

12-17-2009 09:13:59 | More by juju7
nrpellegrini

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a clear brown color with a small tan head that faded fast. Smelled of steak and meat, a little A1 sauce in there. The taste was the same, I picked up a lot of smoked flavors and a steak or burger merinade. Some smoked wood going on as well. It had a very clean finish, nothing lingered for a bad aftertaste. Smooth and easy to drink.

10-11-2008 15:44:34 | More by nrpellegrini
roadhouse

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a pilsener glass.

Appears a dark brownish mahogany color with a one inch off-white head.

Aroma is straight up smoked ham. Maybe a little beef jerky in there as well. Camp fire smokiness is right there with the meat.

Taste is not as intense in the meat department as the aroma but it's still there for sure. It starts off with a mild sweetness with a bit of toast and then the smoked meat flavor comes more as an aftertaste alongside the caramel maltiness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, and surprisingly it still has the clean lager character despite the crazy meat flavor. Surprisingly drinkable as well after that smell.

This is my first of the style and I am rating it as best I can but damn this stuff is different. Really interesting style and I think I might have to get another of their offerings.

11-21-2008 06:03:45 | More by roadhouse
botham

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

pint bottle poured into a nonic pint. pours a clear deep garnet/brown color with garnet highlights. a half finger of tan head tops it off after a hard pour. no lacings.

aroma is distinctly smoked, and is reminiscent of barbacue sauce in character. a note of hickory and black pepper give the brew a tangy profile, while a distant malt note is the nly evidence that this is a beer.

taste is smoked and of caramel malt up front, while the finish is lightly tangy and spicy from the hickory and pepper notes. like a summer BBQ in a bottle. the smoke adds a wonderful feel to the profile, while the caramel malts give it a base. nicely proportioned, with just enough smoke.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and semi dry from the smoke, with a smooth and silky texture. finishes semi dry with residual smoke and spice.

drinkability is great. this is a very distinct and unique brew. the smoked flavors give it a meaty profile, while the malts balance out the spice from the smoke. the aftertaste is reminiscent of beef jerky. this could very well be a polarizing brew because of the flavors present, but the proportioning and profile are excellent nonetheless. cheers!

05-28-2008 01:39:08 | More by botham
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

Served from a 500ml bottle

A: A deep amber/brown color topped with a finger and a half of slightly off white khaki head. Clarity is very good.

S: Smokey malts reminiscent of a smoked ham or even bacon.

T: Very smokey but not overly so. Very malt forward as a marzen should be but the smokiness remains king and is the dominant flavor. The hops provide a nice balance and come into play keeping the beer nicely balanced. The smokiness brings memories of a smoky flavored ham, bacon, or even smoked salmon all of which I am very partial to.

M: Crisp, clean, and refreshing. Really not overbearing and heavy which is great for a lager.

O: Amazing beer. My first Rauchbier and I absolutely loved the style. One of the few really great beers I've had in a long time.

09-27-2013 02:21:25 | More by Haydn-Juby
bennetj17

Arizona

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Dark amber color, almost brown, with some transparency. Creamy foam head, off-white, long-lasting. The aroma is a wonderfully smokey bouquet. It's like charred meat of the grill, or burnt bacon. Rich and inviting.

The flavor is relatively unsweetened and is dominated by the smoke. The smoke is nice, and actually you get used to it after a few sips, allowing you to taste some of the other character of the beer. The toasty, bread-like malt begins to come through and does have a mild sweetness. Ah yes, this is like Octoberfest. The mouthfeel holds up nicely, good carbonation, smooth, not thin.

Don't know what took me so long to try this beer. I think other smoke beers I have tried were not nearly this good, so I wasn't interested. I highly recommend this one, and I will be having it again soon...

07-05-2009 16:59:37 | More by bennetj17
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Squatty 500mL bottle for $4.79 at Amity Wine & Spirits in New Haven CT. Label gives the ABV at 5.1%. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Clear dark umber brew gives a thin creamy beige head. The smell is really thick with leather and smoke, like a tobacconist shop. The bulk of the flavor (leather, tobacco, and smoke) comes right from the smell, but it adds a faint vanilla creaminess that's balanced by a slightly acidic bite of smoke and hop. The feel is mostly dry and somewhat astringent, but there's a touch of sweetness left over, like burnt molasses hiding amongst the smoke and leather. The body is moderately thick, carbo is appropriate, alcohol not detected. The finish is nice and long with lingering leather and smoke, and the astringency has faded so it's very smooth and almost a little sweet. Awesome finish.

Very very tasty, like Highland Park scotch in beer form.

10-24-2010 23:09:49 | More by BeerNinja007
Skidz

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours out light brown and sits a dark, reddish brown in the glass with a good sized off-white head on top.

Smells of smoked fish/sausage, with a hickory/maple base. A bit of caramel and malt lie underneath the incredibly smoky aroma.

Tastes initially sweet with dark sugars and a light apply flavor. Quickly moves on into smoke country where a billow of rich flavors move across your mouth. Maple, caramel and that hickory smoked flavor run all over; a good combination of sweet and salty. A very tasty smoked beer, the first I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth with great carbonation levels, nothing overpowering. Leaves a slightly oily feel behind that reminds me of eating smoked salmon. Great hearty beer, perfect for a meal with burgers.

05-24-2004 02:46:36 | More by Skidz
Offa

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a nice rauchbier to me, with a smokey taste and aroma reminiscent of Lapsang Souchong tea or Islay Malt Scotch, yet with a lot of other elements to round out the character.

Very dark brown, almost black, it has a small, creamy tan head that shrinks very slowly to a thick, foamy ring and leaves some weak lace.

The aroma is smoke with hints of toasted grain, bread.

The taste is more complex, with smokey grain, Lapsang Souchong tea, up front, soon mellowing and joined by light toasted grain, hay, cola, general toasty-herbal-spice dunkel qualities. The smokeiness lingers, though lightly, after the finish. It's light in body, but tatsy, interesting, and drinkable, with the smoke just tame enough and just balanced enough so as not to be overpowering.

10-21-2008 18:33:52 | More by Offa