Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,038 | Hads: 2,058
2.71/5  rDev -33.3%

This beer pours a very pretty, clear, deep amber/red with a small white head. The nose has lots of bacon and smoke and that's about it.

The tastes starts off with lots of bacon and/or country ham. There is a bit of hop flavor afterwards and some bitterness, followed by some smokiness in the back of your nostrils afterwards. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit slick with medium/high carbonation.

Overall, I really couldn't stomach much of this beer. It felt like drinking bacon grease or something. It was interesting, and fun to try, but not a beer I can drink much of. (573 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -33%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

Poured a clear medium brown with an average sized off-white creamy head that was mostly lasting and had fair lacing. The aroma was of smoked malts a moldy yeast with a heavy note of smoke and meat (Like a smoked ham). It tasted a little acidic that had a mild malt flavor and an intense smokey flavor from start to finish with the flavor lingering on the taste buds for a long while. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and watery yet creamy in texture with a soft carbonation. Overall a very different brew than what I am used to, kind of like drinking liquid smoke. Not all beers are for everyone and this one is definitely not for me!! (672 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

My first smokebeer.

L: Dark brown with a reddish hue. Small head,disappeared quickly.

S: Extreme smoke,overwhelming. Bacon?

T: Extremely smokey, hard to taste anything else through the overpowering smoke.

F: Surprisingly nice. Hard to believe the abv is this low.

O: Not what I expected, all smoke and nothing else. Not balanced at all

I like smoked food, but I can't handle this. (386 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

Picked this up at a local store, and did not realize the whole thing with this beer is a "smoked" flavor. I can't stand the smoked flavor, so I am trying to be nice, but this just isn't my thing.

Bottle looks old, I feel like I am back in time.

Cracked the bottle, and it literally smells like dip to me. I am scared to drink it. Good pour, nice head, dark color but light at the same time, not a heavy beer.

1st sip, tastes very smokey. Very malty, but nice and light, if they got rid of the smokedness I would probably really dig this beer. I am a little disappointed, but more with myself because I should not have purchased this beer. Seems like other people like it so I think it's just personal preference, but I feel like I am drinking beer, with a BK Smokehouse burger mixed in. Not for me, Sorry. I usually dig the German beer too.

One thing I will say is that the smokey flavor tastes more authentic than I have had in American beers, so they probably did this right. (981 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -31%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Almost opaque dark brown color with a copper hue and faint activity. Light brown 2 finger head, lasting around 10 minutes, with average legs.

Aromas of bacon and smoked salmon on wood. Flavors of smoky meat, tobacco, roasted coffee, caramel, and herbal spices. Feels like bread mixed with wood and bacon. Well balanced between sweetness and bitterness.

Full body with prickly carbonation. Strong finish of medium length, ending with a spicy smoky meaty beef jerky feel, still with a nice balance from the sweet and sour.

Overall this is my first of this style and not really a fan. Incredible experience to try, yes, but is it a beer that I enjoy or would I drink it again, no. Still perfectly drinkable to the last drop with complex and interesting flavors. The smoky meaty bacon taste is overwhelming the other flavors. The body is flat and missing some freshness. Sure I'm a bacon lover but not in my beer! (912 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured a red brown with little head. Strong aroma of smoke and little else.As for taste, this is my first try of a smoked beer. I can't decide if this is good or not, because the smokiness is overpowering! There just doesn't seem to be anything else there. The smell reminds me of a campfire that has been doused with water, and the smell of the hot steaming coals. Not something I think I'd try again. (402 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Wow. Being a fan of American smoked porters, I was excited to try a rauchbier. I don't think anything could have prepared me for this one, save a bottle of KC Masterpiece. The beer pours a transparent dark brown/red color with a thin white head. Good retention and lacing. The smell is pure smoked hickory, jerky, and anything else you would find at a barbecue pit.

Unfortunately the taste is the same. It is straight-up smoked meat, hickory, and barbecue sauce. I tried very hard to decipher "beer" qualities (like hops or malt) and just couldn't find them. I'm sorry to say I had a very difficult time even finishing this beer. The taste is that pungent. But I do understand what this beer is trying to accomplish, and appreciate its uniqueness, which is why I didn't slam its score. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp.

If you know what you're getting into, love barbecued food (enough to drink it), or want a completely new beer experience, try this rauchbier. Personally it was a little too much for me to handle, and has probably made me gun shy toward other rauchbiers out there. I'll stick to the American smoked. (1,122 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's better to state this from the beginning: I prefer my cured meats on the side and not in the brew. The rauchbier poured with two fingers of beige foam. It has a nice brown color and smells of cured meats and burned wood. The taste is smokey, of cured meats and some metal with a bitter bite of hops in the end. It has a creamy mouthfeel although it feels a bit weird to drink. I think it is an interesting beer but drinking it will never be a habit of mine. (461 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- Reddish brown appearance almost raison prune like. Slight clearness, head dissipates quickly, little carbonation.
S- Very Smokey, hints of caramel and bacon as well as wood.
T- Very unusual, first smoked beer I've tried. Very Smokey, like eating bacon. Hints of sweetness as well.
M- Medium mouth feel, light carbonation.
O- Overall it was not very enjoyable to drink at least for me. Felt like I was drinking bacon juice. (464 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Limpid deep chestnut brown coloured liquid poured into the glass yielding rich crimson highlights. A rather abundant off white head of fluffy foam topped the beer but did not stick around long. Had good adherence to the glass.

Solid aromas of beechwood smoke dominate a faint trace of caramel malt which only manages to manifest itself for a brief moment, until it is once again overpowered by the smoke.

A sporadic bead rises from the sides of the glass but erupts in the mouth into a sustained carbonation. The beer is rather light in body and slightly astringent. Faint signs of malt briefly grace the tastebuds and are surrounded by big notes of smoke... but not much more. A very weak taste experience that finishes with a jumble of smoky bitterness.

My memories were of a beer which was much more intense on all levels of appreciation. I remember it more rounded without being heavy and, although smoke dominated past samples, more of the caramel and malt expressed themselves. I must have gotten an old bottle. (1,026 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -30%

A- Pours a really dark ruby red. Pretty much no head just a few bubbles. Same goes for lacing.

S- Smoke everywhere here and can't pick up much else.

T- Again smoke everywhere on this one and that's all I taste.

M- Medium in both body and carbonation.

D- Read about the style and it says acquired taste, well isn't that the truth. (335 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29.6%

This one will definately be revisited, interesting I think. I was expecting something on the lines os smokey scotch whisky, which I love (think Lavagulin or Talisker). The smell was promising, just enough smoke with malts. All I get on the pallete is smoke, like a barbecue or smokehouse, or my fireplace. I would probably enjoy aout 4 oz of this at the right time. To me this is definately not a quaffer. I will try it again paired with food. (443 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29.6%

This was the smokiest rauchbier I've ever had, and that isn't necessarily a good thing! It is very substantial, and has a flavor remiscent of eating fresh bacon inside a smokehouse, but not enough beer character for me. Not very drinkable, but very interesting.

It boured a sparkling red color with a medium amount of head from a mini-keg. It had a salty, smokey, meaty smell. It was downright bacon-like in flavor, but I wish had more beer character. I felt the beer-flavor in this beer was totally overwhelmed by this bacon flavor. It had a salty mouthfeel, like a mouthful of seawater. Not very drinkable. (611 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

500ml Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a clear dark brown colour with a large size frothy light coloured head. I can't tell how much carbonation is there due to the darkness and there is some average lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - smoke, meat, earthy, malts, burnt nuts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and it feels somewhat creamy. I had a feeling I wouldn't like the taste but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways. I could taste smoke, malts and pepperoni.. yes, pepperoni. There were also notes of burnt wood/nuts and an earthiness. It finished with a malty/smoky aftertaste.

Drink - Well, I gave it a shot. This is definitely not the style of beer for me. I see that others have mentioned how well this beer compliments certain foods.. but to me, this beer is a food on its own. It actually tasted like meat. I tried to get through the bottle but unfortunately I had to drain pour. I even had to break out my last Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale just to cleanse my palette. (1,081 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

This is one dark beer - can't see through it, to be sure. Minimal cream-colored head that last for more than two minutes.

Smells of smoke and burnt malt. Wow.

Here's how I describe the taste: Take your house and burn it down. Then take a piece of the burnt wood, add a drop of caramel to it, dunk it in a glass of water, and suck on it. This is the smokiest beer I've had to this point - holy cow!

This just did not work well in my mouth; you have to be a fan of rauchbiers to enjoy this one. If you are, this will rank pretty well with you.

To drinkability, this is a beer I just couldn't finish. Not even on a bet. (647 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

This brew poured a quick dissolving head and left virtually no lacing on the sides of my mug. It has a strong smoky aroma which absolutely turned me off. It had an aftertaste to it. It poured a dark amber color. It has too smoky of a taste for my personal enjoyment. I just could not acquire a taste for this brew. (314 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

The Rauchbier style is an old German beer style, its origins go back to the 1500's and to the district of Franconia and the town of Bamberg. It's typically of dark colour and has similarities of the Oktoberfestbier. Green malts are literally dried over an open fire of beech wood, imparting a unique smokiness ("rauch" is German for smoke), the usage of which produces beers of an acquired taste. Imagine a smokiness so robust, so assertive, that it tastes of spiced, smoked meat.

Well, this has to be my first smoke beer from Germany or anywhere by that matter. When I pop the top on this beast I actually smell smoked beer, dying to try it now because my mouth is watering. Let me taste it now.
Ok thats different so where's the ham and chesse?
This would defintely fit in with ham and chesse group.

The pour, Huge head but didn't last long, bummer.

This says a pint and 9 oz. good becuse the last ber was 11.2 oz.

Dark but you can see through it with light.

I need to look up what Marzen means.

Brewed back in the 1500's, hmm don't really get into them much.
Well it's thick and chewy so I like that but something is throwing it off for me.
The days would have to be colder for me to enjoy this one more.
So if you like meat really bad you will like this one. (1,292 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -27.1%

The aroma is very smokey and covers any other smells that might be there save a hint of malt. The appearance is dark brown and the head is persistent. The flavor is also very smokey and not unlike beef jerky. The palate was not as thick as I wanted but still its not thin. A very unique beer that's a must try, like it or not. (326 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

Clear reddish-brown, big frothy head.

Smoky malt in the smell.

Holy smoked flavor batman. Tastes like, bacon, ham, smoked fish, with a sweet malty finish. Very interesting. Probably an acquired taste.

Medium-light mouthfeel.

I guess this is what rauchbiers are like. I generally like smoked things, but the combination of the smoked meats with the sweetness got to be too much for me quickly. Very interesting, but I didn't find it very drinkable. (451 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Thick, substantial 2-finger beige head that lasts. Dark brown and clear. Very nice first impression.

S - Subtly smoked wet leather with undertones of well-toasted malts.

T - Here's where the smoke really shows up. Smoked and burnt caramel sugars (think an over-charred top of a creme brulee). Smoke dominates throughout and lingers on the finish. Unbalanced - difficult to find anything else in the taste, especially hops.

M - Good carbonation gives it a nicely defined structure that's papered with smoke. Smooth to start with a clean palate on the finish.

D - Smoke really dominates every aspect of this beer. While I enjoy a well-balanced smoked porter like Alaskan, I felt that the malts are too smoked and burnt for a Marzen. (787 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

A - Deep brown color slightly red at the edges. Small head that left no lacing behind.

S - This is my first smoked beer and it smells like bacon. Some slight sweet scent but most of it is overpowered by a smokey meat aroma.

T - Think I'm going to have to drink more of these before I'm able to accurately get a handle on what I'm picking out. A smokey meat taste is the main thing I notice. A little sweetness but it's mostly bacon.

M - Medium bodied, a little oily.

D - I can't really do this, maybe it's an acquired taste, maybe I'll acquire it, but for now I like my meat on a plate. (590 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

I tried this beer in a Brooklyn Beer House who had just gotten it on tap. Knowing little about Rauchbier; I was surely excited and loved the dark brown color of the brew when it was served; hardly any foam to show. The smell made me chuckle already, and the first zip made me shake. I thought I just ate pork-roast. It is surely unique; but definetly no drink you can enjoy an evening long. One with a harty meal would be all I can imagine! (440 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

16.9 oz bottle. Pours amber brown with a medium creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is smokey malts of the liquid smoke variety with some sweet BBQ.

The flavor is sweet plasticky (esp in the finish) caramel malts and smoke (a little BBQ) with charred roast. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, lots of smoke, but it's a bit thin with some off notes. (421 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice two finger creamy head which lasts a long time, nice sticky lacing throughout the drink. The nose is malty, smoked big time, toffee, and caramel. The taste is malty, smokey, with nice touch of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, the taste reminds me of sardines, so because of this I would not buy again. (350 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a bottle into my Duvel tulip glass.

Smell: This was immediately noticeable and the first thing to strike me. The beer smells like smoked meat. Worchestire and liquid smoke. This will either be really bad, or surprisingly good. I'll try to rate it based on what this style is supposed to be, not personal preference.

Appearance: Dark like a dopplebock, ruby brown in color, practically no head, no lacing. The beer leaves a film when swirled, as if there will be a lot of sugary malts.

Taste: Have you ever had baby back pork ribs grilled over an open beach fire? Thats what this beer tastes like. It's semi sweet, very smokey. The taste and immediate aftertaste would be fine if the longer aftertaste didn't leave a lingering bitterness that seems out of place with the smoothe smoke and sweeter foretaste.

Mouthfeel: Average. It's a bit bubbly, nothing special nor horrible.

Drinkability: I won't finish this bottle. This is either a taste I have not yet acquired, or the beer itself just isn't enjoyable enough. I'll likely try the style again in the future to see if I like it more, but this one is mediocre at best. (1,146 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla