1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
1.98/5  rDev -51%

I like bacon, and I like beer. But I don't like bacon in my beer.

The first thing I noticed while pouring this brown beer was the overwhelming smoked smell. This was my first smoked beer, and I was taken by surprise. Hickory bacon and barbecue sauce dominate the nose.

The taste was extremely smoky. Again, bacon, and lots of it, cooked over a campfire. Am I drinking beer or having a drunk cowboy's breakfast? I just needed to slap on some spurs and start telling folk stories around the campfire.

I couldn't finish this beer. I'll be sure to keep away from beers labeled "smoked" in the near future. Maybe when I'm older I'll revisit them. And maybe I'll look for ones in smaller bottles.

ElGrecoVerde, Feb 06, 2008

elBecko, Feb 27, 2012

atlbravsrno1, Sep 11, 2014

leinie13, Dec 04, 2011

Illmaticzx, Nov 14, 2012

hopkrid, Oct 20, 2013

Tagsg, Jan 26, 2012

This was my first smoked beer to review and I must say that is not a favorite class for me. The poor review is more a reflection of the dislike of the class than the quality of beer itself.

A. A deep amber color with a healthy head. The head dissipates while leaving good lacing.

S. Like liquid smoke. Burnt malt.

T. Wow, hard to handle. like licking a smoked porkchop.

M. Except for the taste not bad.

D. Not great. However, over in Germany is was often said that you must have more than one. Follow the first with a shot of schnapps and then it gets better.

MarkSCCOT, Jul 04, 2007

xnapshot, Mar 01, 2012

wmickdds32, Feb 11, 2012

SonOfKyuss, Oct 14, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -48%

My wife is German, but from the North. There they have all kinds of local Pilsner, but not specialties like Icebeer or Smoked Beers. So when we found this Franconian specialty, of course the temptation was huge to try this. Other beer connaisseurs warned us, but she could not resist and bought it. Luckily just one single bottle!

Poured darkred-brown into mug, thick off-white head crowning. The smokey aroma is noticeable already.

The first sip hits, full smokey now.

Foam is thick and creamy, but is vanishing fast. After 2 minutes it is completely gone, leaving behind a very thin layer. But there is a lot of lacing.

The taste is so heavily smokey, it is overwhelming any other tastes and aromas.

Mouthfeel is ashtray-y.

Taste is not improving with time.

Bitter aftertaste, but smoke is still overwhelmingly on top. I imagine I drank from an ashtray.

I wonder how this beer would taste if it was blended with something milder?

This reminds me of Tarry Lapsang Souchong, a chinese smoked tea that tastes very similar to this beer. That tea cannot be enjoyed purely, but when blended 20/80 with milder teas from China, India and Ceylon, it becomes a wonderful delicassy.
Now I really wonder how this Franconian beer would perform if it was blended with milder beers, or even sodas.

If I ever get another bottle of this brew, I will definately mix it to try some improvements. It is not enjoyable to drink this pure. You might as well lick an ashtray.

Bierfreund, May 08, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -47.3%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a very dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of smoked meats. Taste is unlike anything I have had before. Smoke, bacon, meaty, I can see where it would appeal to some but I was unable to finish it. Feels medium bodied and unpleasant in the mouth and overall I did not enjoy it at all.

tone77, Mar 10, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -46.3%

Not a fan. But it's probably me, and not the beer. Beautiful dark brown, nearly black, pour with a nice medium bubble carbonation. Smell was smokey and pleasant. I was a bit startled at the level of smoke aroma and it was all I could detect. Taste was unbearably of cough medicine. I'm talking the stuff from the 60's that made no attempt to hide its medicinal qualities. I tried to pick out other flavors, but I just couldn't. A little thin on the palate.

This is by far one of the most unique beers I've ever tried. I REALLY wanted to like it, but I couldn't. Again, "It's not you, baby, It's me."

specksnreds, Jul 10, 2010
2.24/5  rDev -44.6%

Purchased this 500ml bottle at the LCBO for just under $4.00.

A- Excellent! Opened very well, poured high with head with a very dark rich looking foam

S- Very good. Hints of smoke shine through along with herbs

T- Absolutely horrible. Worst beer by far I have had. I tried but ended up pouring down the sink after 5 sips. This one is smoky in a fake flavor sort of way

M- Pretty good but it just doesn't help the taste factor

O- The taste dragged this one down badly. Just a personal choice

Food Pairing

I didn't even want to have a 6th sip let alone eat something.

DaveBar, Jan 28, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

sgttibbs, Feb 08, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

allbrigs, Mar 12, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -43.1%

--Regular 1 pint brown bottle, no freshness date to be found.
--Poured a dark ruby like in color. Started out with a nice head that quickly dissipated to almost nothing.
--Smelled a smell I have never had before. Obviously a smoky smell that was comparable to smoked salmon.

This was my first foray into a rauchbier and, as one of the brothers stated, either you like it or you don't. Unfortunataly I am not quite ready for this taste yet. It tasted like it smelled and was almost overpowering to me. Maybe I am naive but I have tried smoked beers and that is the taste that I expected. This was just too much for me as the smell and taste still lingered long after I had finished the beer. Later on, as my skills progress, I would like to try another one.
Thx

canadianbarman, Oct 03, 2003
2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

Well first of all, I'm not a rauchbier fan, so take this review as a review from an outsider.

The beer looks good. A little thin dark brown pour. Smells decent. If salty had a smell, it would be it. The taste is tough to swallow. Salty smoked sausage? Maybe some bacon. Tastes like beer made with day old breakfast meat. Mouthfeel comes off the same way, like you've got old liquid meat in your mouth. As a result its not very drinkable.

The weird thing, I love grilling, bacon, sausage. Just not as part of my beer. Who knows, maybe I'll try this again when my palate is more developed. Heaven knows SN porter and stout were tough for me 10 years ago, now I love them. . .

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 28, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -40.1%

Well, I am perhaps just not a real smoke beer fan, but I had higher hopes for this. In this case, the smoke simply overpowers any other flavor elements of the beer. I like a subtle smokiness in porters, but for me at least this is just too much smoke. The nose is nice - definitely smells interesting - like a rustic campfire. The taste is just too much like a mix of smoked bacon and cigarettes for me. I love smoked bacon, all smoked foods actually, but can't say I really enjoyed it in liquid form... Perhaps with food it would be better, but by itself, the flavor is almost repulsive actually.

As for mouthfeel, it is light and fairly smooth, but I can practically sense the carcinogens suspended in this as I swallow. Needless to say, drinkability suffers because of the offputting flavors. Definitely a unique experience, and surely an acquired taste - one I can't really see myself trying to hard to develop.

blackc5, Aug 13, 2009