1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Ratings: 1,561 | Reviews: 963 | Show All Ratings:
BuckyBeerBeaver

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

While wandering the aisles of his 'happy place', Bucky spotted a German smokebeer, and never having sampled this style picked up a bottle. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier ("ASR") came in a brown 500 ml bottle with a best before date of October 2013 stamped on the reverse label, and was 5.1% alcohol by volume. ASR is produced by Brauerei Heller in Bamberg, Germany. A little historical beer trivia for you...the roots of the word Schlenkerla in the beer's name lie in the Frankish vernacular, in which "schlenkern" is an expression for walking not straight.

ASR poured an attractive chestnut brown colour with a large, slightly off-white head that lasted for several minutes before fading to a 1/8" cap of foam, leaving some modest lacing and spotting down the glass. Its aroma was strong and made up of wood smoke and back bacon. The beer's flavour was distinct but somewhat more subtle than its aroma, beginning, continuing and ending with wood smoke, with a mild bitterness noticeable at the finish. Both the smokiness and slight bitterness continued as a long lasting aftertaste. I found the carbonation to be quite moderate but well suited to the beer, and would describe ASR as medium bodied. Though I was a bit nervous at the start due to past experience with a couple of overpowering smoky beers, this was a refreshing change of pace. Not a style that I would drink every week, but a bit of a flashback to a bygone age when all malt for brewing in Germany was dried over a wood fire, and quite reasonably priced at $3.15 per bottle.

04-13-2014 22:47:48 | More by BuckyBeerBeaver
polloenfuego

3.86/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 500 ml bottle to a pint glass.

A: pours a chestnut brown with a two finger head that breaks quickly but leaves fantastic lacing.

S: beautiful smoke smell along with some malts and a perception of smoked meats.

T: the smoke carries over from the nose but is more subtle. Caramels, light roasts and a slight saltiness.

M: medium carbonation and body.

O: my first experience with the rauchbier style, though not my first smoked beer. That being said, I have had better smoked beers but overall this was an enjoyable drink. More of a winter or early spring beer than any other time I would think.

04-12-2014 16:45:49 | More by polloenfuego
Richardbeerlover

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice dark brownish red with a decent head that dissipated fairly quickly. Smells smokey of course and the taste is a bit smokey but not nearly as strong it smells. Was a fairly easy beer for me too drink. It's got a lot going on but not so much that it feels too complex. Was a simple beer IMO. I enjoyed it very much but it does take a little getting used to.

03-30-2014 03:45:27 | More by Richardbeerlover
Swettenham_Shire

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up as a recommendation from my local beer store. First time trying a smoked brew.

Advice: take your time and don't drink it cold! The flavors really come out when it's at room temp

Appearance: pours a dark brown with 3 finger head
Smell: musty, reminds me of a stout; the most unexciting part of this beer
Taste: gets better after each sip; aftertaste of campfire/bacon/cigar smoke
Mouthfeel: smoother than expected; the smoky bacon flavor lingered for a few hours
Overall: very good, but not something I will drink often... prefer to share this pint with a friend in the winter months

03-25-2014 15:40:08 | More by Swettenham_Shire
TheOneCleanHippy

Connecticut

Quite literally the best beer I've ever tasted. Smooth, but very very full and rich taste without being overwhelming. The smokey tones really make this beer unique. For those of us that like dark and complex beers, this is an absolutely wonderful experience.

03-18-2014 02:01:04 | More by TheOneCleanHippy
tviz33

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle in to a snifter.

A- Pours a clear dark brown body with some red around the edges. Head consists of a frothy gray cap which disappears in just seconds.

S- Smokey! Smoked, salty meats. Bacon. Pancetta. Brown sugar ham. A little campfire-like smoke, but it's mostly meat-like.

T- You guessed it... smoked meat all the way. Lighter flavor than the Urbock if I remember correctly. I can easily drink the whole bottle to myself without the flavor raping my taste buds.

M- Light body and medium-light carbonation. I wish it was a little chewier.

O- Pretty tasty overall. I'll definitely be having this and the Urbock sometime in the future.

02-23-2014 06:49:48 | More by tviz33
StoutHunter

I picked up a bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla's Rauchbier Marzen a month ago for $4.59 at The Lager Mill. I Like Rauchbier's but I don't drink them very often and I thought it's about time I finally give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 16.9oz bottle into a German style mug.

A- The label looks ok, it's got an old look to it like they haven't ever changed the label which isn't a bad thing but it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice slightly ruby brown color that took on more of a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with medium amount of sweetness with the smoke being the first to show up and it pretty much dominates this beer with a huge smokey aroma, there's a little bit of campfire smokiness to it, but it's the smoked meat and ham like aromas that seem to stick out the most. Up next comes a noticeable herbal aroma but other than that it's pretty much a smoke bomb. The aroma is pretty good and I like the smoked meat aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice grainy, toasted malt, caramel malt, and a slight nutty flavor. Up next comes the smoke which still sticks out the most and imparts a nice 50/50 mixture of campfire and smoked meat like flavors. On the finish comes some of the herbal aspects that I picked up in the aroma and it's followed by a lower amount of bitterness with a pretty smokey aftertaste that lingers just for a little bit. This was a pretty good tasting beer, It was much more balanced than the aroma and I liked that.

M- Smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty good and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of the style, I haven't gotten that Smoked meat flavor in many smoked beersand I thought that it worked well with the campfire smoke aspect and it helped the smoke not wear on the palate. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, fairly crisp, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I thought the smoke would start to wear on me, but it doesn't and I think I could drink a couple pints of this but that may be my limit. For some reason I think this would be a nice fall time beer, maybe because of the smokey aspect. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, the smoke really showed up, but it wasn't too overpowering and it let some of the nice Marzen flavors come through. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I can of think that would improve this beer, it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who likes smoked beers. I like the style but in my experience some of them wear on me quickly with the harsher smoke flavor, but this beer kept all aspects pretty balanced and it was more drinkable than i thought it would. This beer made a good first impression for Aecht Schlenkerla, I'll be looking for more of their beer and so far this is my favorite traditional German Rauchbier, Nice job guys, this is one tasty and drinkable Rauchbier, keep up the good work.

02-11-2014 04:41:43 | More by StoutHunter
Demhoppz

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up on a whim. Not too familiar with german beers and was rated phenomenally so I gave it a shot.

Picked up a bottle for 5.99, which I thought would be fair for how great this thing appeared to be.

The appearance after the pour is great. Heavy, dark, brownish head, just looks like a man's beer that's waiting to be sipped on and slowly enjoyed. Just a fine specimen.

After the poor I took a great big wiff, and my god. It smells like someone brewed this through their armpit hair. The "smoke" scent was horrid. Had I spoke or been able to read german I probably would have known this was a smoked beer and expected a smoke scent..but its forever in my brain as what BO smells like.

The taste was much better than the smell...but the smell still kills it and it lingers with the taste. I'm afraid to hold it in my mouth for more than a few seconds but when I do I don't regret it. I can taste the charred wood and the piss smell starts to dissipate...its not bad whatsoever until the aftertaste kicks in at least.

The mouth feel is phenomenal. Heavy, thick, but smooth and feel good. Much comfort in my gums and underside of my tongue. I almost don't want to swallow.

Overall this brew is overhyped in my opinion. Its a work of art, but the scent just destroys it. It smells like piss, I'm sorry but it does. I'm going to try and finish it though, we'll see where my opinion takes me towards the end of it.

02-05-2014 06:04:04 | More by Demhoppz
artoolemomo

Oregon

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head which has okay retention. The head is a very dull, almost dirty, light beige while the body is a chestnut to chocolate brown that appears as a mix of burgundy and garnet when held up to the light.

Nose- Definitely cannot regard the nose as boring. Definitely, lots of smoke and very reminiscent of barbecue. Big fruity esters that range from citrus (lots of orange) to white grapes to even slight raisins notes. The interaction between the smoke and the esters seem to indicate tomatoes and barbecue sauce. Some cloves and some burnt qualities, toast. Some woodiness as well from the beech wood. Very nice. Interestingly enough, swirling seems to diminish most of these notes.

Taste- Starts off with smoke over a big base of fruity and juicy esters. Very reflective of the nose in that citrus and raisins appear to suggest tomato that in combination with the smoke suggests barbecue sauce. Some woodiness but this is a pretty sweet beer. Not overly sweet by any means; the smoke definitely keeps that in check but it does have its vinous qualities. I think the sweeter malts associated with the Marzen might have some play in this. Some caramel sits under the fruitier sweetness. Some cloves on the finish which match very well with the smoke and the wood. Slight melanoidin flavors. Mostly good in regard to presence, complexity, and balance. No note overreaches and nothing dazzles but everything works together to make a really good beer.

Mouthfeel- Almost medium bodied with a good amount of syrup to the texture. Carbonation is appropriate and there's definitely some zing to it but it works well with the flavor profile.

Drinkability- Very sessionable if you choose not to think about it but also very interesting if you do. Pretty much the best of two worlds. It is a little pricy for a session beer though. 4.49 for a 500 mL is a good price nonetheless and I could see myself buying this again.

Overall- Pretty good beer that is a very good example of the style. Aecht Schlenkerla is definitely where it is at for rauchbiers. Definitely worth a try even if you don't like smoky beers. This is sweet and fruity enough that it might just change your mind.

01-30-2014 03:26:50 | More by artoolemomo
CDAtkinson

Maryland

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It was a welcome treat after I biked home in the winter cold: a single bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. Or, in English, an “Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer Pale-Lager.” According to Schlenkerla, for one of their smokebeers (rauchbier) to earn the name and achieve the taste, the malt is exposed “to the intense, aromatic smoke of burning beech-wood logs.” It was exactly the taste for capping a day’s work and a nippy bike ride. This drink got pretty damn close to actualizing the phrase “it warms the cockles of your heart.”

The rauchbier had toasty, camp-fire, tobacco tastes and surprisingly medium-body smoothness and it deliciously complemented the smoky fish chowder and salty crackers I ate for dinner.

01-29-2014 18:26:37 | More by CDAtkinson
DaveBar

2.24/5  rDev -44.6%

Purchased this 500ml bottle at the LCBO for just under $4.00.

A- Excellent! Opened very well, poured high with head with a very dark rich looking foam

S- Very good. Hints of smoke shine through along with herbs

T- Absolutely horrible. Worst beer by far I have had. I tried but ended up pouring down the sink after 5 sips. This one is smoky in a fake flavor sort of way

M- Pretty good but it just doesn't help the taste factor

O- The taste dragged this one down badly. Just a personal choice

Food Pairing

I didn't even want to have a 6th sip let alone eat something.

01-28-2014 00:08:26 | More by DaveBar
rtrasr

Arkansas

This is the best German brew ever in my humble opinion. Pours the color of brown sugar, you immediately smell the smoky aroma. Delicious. Mouthful is substantial but not too full. The taste is smoky brown sugar, like a perfectly cured ham. This is my favorite German import, cannot get enough. It is perfection.

01-15-2014 00:23:04 | More by rtrasr
tmzl

Slovenia

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

Look: Pours with a huge frothy light-brown head, medium sized bubbles. Slow retention, mostly diminishing. A thin unequal layer stays on top. Leaves good amount of sticky lacing. Lots of visible carbonation. Color is clear dark brownish/black with strong red hue.

Smell: Holy shit. Bacon. Read about it, but didn't really believe it. Fun and interesting. Also some light smokiness, caramel sweetness and herbal freshness underneath.

Taste: Light/medium pleasant caramel, light herbal spike, lightly roasted bitterness and then full-on bacon at the end. Maybe some hop in the bitterness and a hint of tart.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium creamy body, fair amount of carbonation - makes it lighter and very easy to drink.

Overall: Sexy bacon beer. Fo real. Try it.

01-09-2014 22:21:17 | More by tmzl
Ozzylizard

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

no date bottle, cellar temp, into goblet
Aroma - light smokiness, slight malt
Head small (1.5 cm), creamy, light brown, mostly diminishing
Lacing good
Body clear, dark red-amber
Flavor begins with a light smokey maltiness, slightly sweet, with no hint of hops
Gradually fades until only the smokiness remains, no diacetyl
This is a medium palate, creamy beer with lively carbonation.

This is one of my favorite beers, being the premier example of a rauch beer. Easy drinking, almost a session beer.

12-22-2013 12:50:43 | More by Ozzylizard
Maximot

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing from a perspective of this being my first beer of this kind and respecting ALL types of beer, and keeping comparisons within categories. I apologize if this review does not adequately describe the beer from a more seasoned palate.

Initial impression:
-Smell- smoked meat: awkward at first having the smell of smoked meats emanating from a beer glass. Very intriguing. Made me pleasantly anxious to see if taste matched smell

- Taste- Smoked meat! Was unable to adequately decipher all of the complex flavors but the smoked meat is what stands out initially. Not too heavy a beer. Each sip I could only describe as "intriguing". There is more than a smokey meat flavor and smell but it will take further "investigation" for this beginners palate to unravel the intricacies of this beer. Given its history, it is at very least a MUST TRY for any beer lover. It is easy to see how one of these could be enough for a beer drinker, but it is equally easy to see how one could become slave to the uniqueness of this style of beer. I for one have no choice but to delve deeper into the mysteriousness of the flavors and smells of these beers.

12-19-2013 06:48:13 | More by Maximot
Archimetez

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Clear dark brown with a white head, mild lacing on edge of glass

S: Smoke hickory ham almost bacon. Phenomenal

T: Campfire smoke taste that cannot be denied that finishes with a hint of caramel malt

M: Smooth clean and lingers.

O: Granted this is my first Rauchbier, but this beer is great. Great change up from the normal and the smoked pork flavor is phenomenal !

12-08-2013 01:46:44 | More by Archimetez
cavedave

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours an impressive looking clear brown with an inch of dark beige head. Beauty.

Smell is sweet grain and caramel with some light smoke and righteous tang.

What a clean blast of campfire and smoked pork that cradles the flavors of malty caramel and yeastily rounded tart. The balance here is the work of a master, heavy flavors made to float, darkest flavors made to sing.

Nicely spritzy, beautiful cling, not too much of that smoke resin to dull the palate, quite light in fact, even refreshing, though it is full of the acrid flavors sans harshness.

The work of masters, this beer is a beer opera of deep emotional taste.

12-02-2013 04:18:46 | More by cavedave
GMB

Japan

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A standard pour of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen yields a translucent mahogany body; this beer is darker than I expected it to be. When the beer is held to light, a spectrum of highlights appears with colors ranging from sandy yellow to copper. The inch-and-a-half-high, light ecru head has lots of staying power. It takes about 2 minutes for the head to settle, and when it does, it leaves behind a sticky ring and some islands of viscous foam on the top of the brew.

The nose is expectedly smokey, but not overpoweringly so. Sweet smells of caramel and toasted butterscotch cut through the smoke. Earthier aromas mix with the smoke and suggest roasted meats, particularly bacon and fatty brisket. I even pick up hints of herbs and spices. I can't wait to see how this all plays on the palate…

Like a symphony, that's how. Where to begin? Smoke and rich, toasted flavors assert themselves immediately, and are closely followed by a welcome bitterness and some herbal notes that persist through the hang and into subsequent sips. The beer's primary flavor is Smoked pork belly drizzled with a bit of toasted butterscotch, then seasoned with a touch of thyme and black pepper. Attendant flavors, which disappear and reappear at random as I make my way through the bottle, include burnt ends (of brisket), and smoked lavender and sage.

My only complaint is that the mouthfeel is just a bit too thin. The carbonation is slightly astringent, and the foam isn't quite as viscous and creamy as I want it to be. I'm nitpicking.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier's Märzen has the kind of complex flavor profile to which even days of repeated sipping and note-taking couldn't do justice. The addition of roasted malts makes this beer darker than most Märzens, but their presence is perhaps what makes this beer so outstanding. I'll be sure to pick up another bottle next year.

11-22-2013 19:26:08 | More by GMB
Rast

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Warmed by amidst a dark, cold eve late in November.

Back to that smoky German cellar I return, and I will return soon. Pours a deep reddish, a visual foreshadowing of the burning timber herein. Light tan head with superb longevity, casting a storm cloud on the libation beneath. Smell wells up with smoke and victory. Taste is surprisingly light on the onset , with the wave of misty malts striking especially post swallow. My companion for such a short time, though it seems like ages.

Ges. gesch. rauchgeschmack!

11-21-2013 00:40:39 | More by Rast
andyfrancis

4.16/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a tall tumbler.

Nearly opaque chocolatey body with a thin off-white head settling into what looks like a map of Pangea on the surface. I admittedly just grabbed this around Oktoberfest because I wanted to have a few Marzens around. Just getting around to drinking it now and realized on pouring that it's a Rauchbier.

Smells like smoke with a hint of sweet brandy. Seriously smokey though, like someone poured some liquid smoke seasoning in it.

Wow. Really, really interesting. Again, so smokey that you think you're bringing some scotch to your lips, then...surprise it's more like an easy drinking porter.

Medium bodied and clean finishing other than the lingering smoke breath.

Full disclosure...I mentioned I bought this among a few other Marzens around Oktoberfest, but this one was still around only because it just looked like something I wouldn't really like. So it's safe to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the aroma and flavor. Would go great with any smoky gouda, sausage or grilled meat.

11-14-2013 04:26:29 | More by andyfrancis
FrostBlast

Quebec (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

500mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Deep dark mahogany with a slightly mocha head that rises to a fair height on pour and drops down to a relatively above-average stable height. The foam looks thick and pretty sturdy - looks which are confirmed by the very fine amount of lacing left behind.

SMELL : First nose is rich malt and rich smoke on a pretty 50-50 equilibrium. No real hop presence at this point. Second nose follows through but adds in a definite floral element - so there's our hops popping up. Very smooth and aromatic - most definitely a noble varietal, as can be expected from a German beer. Third nose has yet more flowery hops coming out and the clearly lager origin of the beer becomes obvious.

TASTE : Sweet-ish malts, smoke, a nice floral hop tinge, lots of fruit that are a bit of a surprise judging from the nose. White flowers and an almost peach side to the fruit profile. Very, very interesting. I'm especially digging the mix of the malt, smoke and peach aromas. Works amazingly well for me.

MOUTHFEEL : This is just what it needs to be, in my opinion. The round feel that the slightly sweet malts bring help support and complement the smoke. A "normal" lager would be much too thin and delicate for that smoke profile. Carbonation is spot on after a few swings around the glass for the sake of smelling the stuff right.

OVERALL : I've known people who felt the smoke in this brew was overwhelming, but to me it's nearly perfectly balanced. Everything works amazingly well. The smoke attack quickly calms down and the fruit profile slowly begins to dominate, although always leaving a healthy amount of room for the smoke. I haven't had many rauchbiers, but I keep coming back to this one. Great stuff.

11-05-2013 20:37:11 | More by FrostBlast
BeerDocT

Georgia

4.19/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance 4.0: Striking, deep brown color. Almost as if the beer starts at black on the top and then fades into brown at the bottom. Very little to no head and I really cranked the pour.

Smell 4.25: Wow, very unusual bouquet. The standard barley and hop aromas, but with an additional depth from a deep smokiness. This is an unusual smoke scent as well, almost like some type of fruit wood: cherry or apple.

Taste 4.25: Front is almost flavorless, but inbetween the front and the middle a delicious, almost smoked bleu cheese flavor pops up and then fades away quickly. The middle is dry, with hints of slight sweetness and a big kick of the smokiness. Finish is dry, slightly smoky and I can almost taste a subdued hop flavor in there somewhere. Aftertaste is short and clean with just the slightest hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Mouthfeel is somewhat flat and watery. Interestingly, this does not detract from the enjoyment of the beer.

Overall 4.0: Definitely not for the unadventurous, this beer is unusual and highly rewarding. Smooth, refined and certainly not something that was brewed as a "one off" or an experiment, this brew is expertly balanced and just fantastic. It matches perfectly with certain foods: the slight bleu cheese taste led me to try it with bleu cheese and I was very impressed with the results. If you find it and are on the fence, invest the paltry amount of money and try this brew out.

11-03-2013 04:24:02 | More by BeerDocT
spoony

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

From a 500 ml bottle into a nonic glass. Bottle says 5.1% ABV.

A-A normal pour produces two fingers of milky-tan head. The retention is good with more than two-minutes having passed and a cap remaining. The brew is dark, walnut brown with ruby highlights. No real lacing.

S-The smell is...wait for it...smokey. The smoke is a pleasing mixture of charcoal, light peat, and roasted barley. There is also a bit of toffee caramel sweetness. No hops.

T-The taste is less smokey than the smell, but smoke is certainly the most prominent flavor. There is just a hint of sweetness underneath, as well as a bit of grain. Nice balance.

M-The feel is medium body with a soft to moderate carbonation. The brew is drinkable despite the smokiness and heft.

O-This is a really tasty example of the style. The smoke is strong, but it never overpowers things, and provides a nice complex flavor. The flavors are balanced and smooth. Even though the feel is a little soft and heavy, drinkability is high, as well.

10-08-2013 02:34:43 | More by spoony
EspressoGuy

British Columbia (Canada)

4.66/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml - "best Before 01/2014" - 5.1%
A: brown with hints of copper; almost opaque
S: root beer/cola/smoke -- a beautiful combination in balance. Not aggressive smokiness!
T: From beginning to end this beer is in perfect balance. The smokiness is there but so is cola, root beer, and bitterness in the finish. It's not a big, "whack you over the head" kind of beer but one with character and depth. Gorgeous! And I love that it's just 5.1%.
M: medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice.
O: an amazing beer. Like a fine bordeaux rather than a big brooding Shiraz or Zin. So much taste and complexity without being aggressive. A recalibration of my tastebuds.

09-29-2013 00:26:53 | More by EspressoGuy
DeFaz

3.23/5  rDev -20%

Look, this is the my first of the style, and if this beer is supposedly as good as others say it is, it will be my last. It pours a nice color with a medium head and very good lacing. The smell is all smoke--so much so that I can barely taste the "bacon" and "meat" that others rave about. But then again, if I wanted to smell meat, I would buy meat. The taste, in my [maybe naïve and unsophisticated}opinion is drowned out by smokiness. Some reviewers have congratulated this beer for its complexity and for the smoke flavor for being nuanced, but what I find is smokiness that has gotten out of control. I love a beer with some character, and there's nothing more attractive than a beer that compliments both a campfire and a steak at the same time. But this just seems to go too far and in the process loses the complexity that some are convinced that it has.

09-28-2013 06:05:33 | More by DeFaz