Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Amazing beer, I have been dreaming of it for days... imagine if some gouda cheese got it on with a beer and had its love child, THIS would be that love child and i would want to drink it and wait for the cheese and beer to get it on again....

Seriously, if you ever have the opportunity to try this beer do not hesitate. Extremely tasty, amazing smell, and it even looks good to boot!

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

This pours a very dark brown with a thick head and lots of lacing. The first thing I noticed was the heavy smoked scent. I immediately got excited because I love that smell and I couldn't wait to taste how it would translate into a beer. I was not let down! There was a heavy, yet not overpowering (in my opinion) taste of smokiness. It blended well with the maltiness of the underlying beer and the hit of hops in the background. It isn't something I would drink every day, but I have had a couple since my first taste.

4.84/5  rDev +19.8%

Among the 6 other taste testers on the beer in my group, I was the only one that enjoyed it: and boy did I ever- ranked as one of my all time favorites it has an outstanding smell, the initial taste is an earth shaker. If you like smoky flavor- please don't die before you sample this. Outstanding from start to finish- I can't rain enough accolades on this gem.

4.87/5  rDev +20.5%

This is one of the first rauchbiers that I tasted, and remains one of my favorite. Pours a dark ruby with low head retention. Smells like campfire with a subtle malt background. Tastes like bacon! Mouthfeel is perfectly smooth. Really one of my favorite German beers.

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Poured into a tulip glass. Copper color, almost opaque. Nice inch and half of dirty-white head.

S - Well, as I poured it I could smell the smoke. It is like being at a campfire as only the embers are glowing with no flames. Amazing.

T - Smoky grain taste, light hop bitterness at the end. Very smooth flavor.

M - Soft, medium body, moderate carbonation. A little less carbonation would be nicer for me, but it does not hold the beer back at all.

D - Excellent. Easy to drink and hits the Rauchbier notes perfectly (it is the original apparently).

3.84/5  rDev -5%

Appearance - Dark red amber

Smell - Wonderful beech wood smoke

Taste - Wonderful smoke flavor

Mouth Feel - Smooth malt mouth feel

Drinkability - Wow - the beech wood smoke is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, the Marzen beer style is too bland for me personally. I guess that is what makes this beer so awesome - wonderful beech wood smoke in a beer style that let's the smoke be the highlight.

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed 07/01/10
Poured from bottle to new belgium tulip.

A: Dark brown and deep ruby. No head. No visible bubbles. Excellent clarity.

S: Smells like a campfire. Very comforting and embodying of outdoors experience. I would argue, for the style, over smoked.

T: Super smokey. Great for pairing with sausage lunch. Would pair well with sauerkraut or other acidic foods. Mostly like liquid smoke.

M: When chilled, a bit awkward as the body is medium light with quite a dry finish. Much more enjoyable as the beer warms - the smoke is more appropriate as it warms.

D: Good beer for times when longing for the outdoors, childhood memories and for occassional novelty beer. Nice, nice beer. Not among the top of the smoke beers IMO. Although, having been to Geramany, the rauchbier's are much better there.

3.13/5  rDev -22.5%

Tasted alongside the urbock. Pours a deep brown with a finger of quickly dying head and wisps of lacing.

The aroma is pure campfire smoke. Waking up at 7 am after a night of drinking by the fire hair smell. Some coffee grinds in there as well.

The flavor is a bit lighter on the smokiness. Somewhat watery actually underneath the initial layer of smoke. Not as deep as the urbock and truthfully not really noteworthy. No "off" flavors at all which is a positive, but not really many "on" flavors either.

The body is medium and a bit watery. Carbonation is high but not stinging.

Overall this is a decent enough beer, but not one that I would really feel the desire to drink again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I liked it but apparently no one else I was with could really appreciate this one. Pours inky black with a tall, white head that lingers. The smell is indeed smokey. It almost seems like the smell is ridiculously strong, since my friend across our small table said he could smell smoke when I poured this brew. In reality, it was malty and smokey, and the taste was much the same. Smoke is the dominant thing here, people. If you somehow came upon this brew and were unaware that this was a large component of the beer, you would completely thrown, I think. To be honest, several hours afterward, I would "taste" the smoke smell in the back of my throat. It has a smooth mouthfeel, but due to the unusual experience with the overwhelming smoke-quality, I'd say it's not an easy beer to drink. I'd order it again, but it absolutely scared my friends off and would not recommend it to people who are not used to strong and/or odd beers.

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%

WOW!

Probably the best beer I have had so far. Would make a great grilling beer. Tastes exactly like it smells! T,he taste is like nothing I have had before. You can definitely tell that this is a smoked beer. has a meaty taste to it. A few that tried it with me thought they tasted smoked hot dogs. The smell and taste are almost exactly the same. Amazing.

TRY THIS BEER IF YOU LIKE MARZENs or SMOKED BEERS!!!!

First had: bottle at The Pour House, Westmont, NJ

A: Very dark with a foamy, off-white head.

S: Strong and smoky.

T: Strong yet smooth maltiness of a märzen that is quickly overcome by the bitter smokiness of a moderately hopped rauchbier.

M: Medium body with some carbonation.

D: Pretty easily drinkable, especially if you like smokey brews.

4.16/5  rDev +3%

500 ml bottle. Pours chestnut with a big, fluffy, off-white, long lasting head. Lots of lacing. Aroma is rich smoked (lox) malt with hints of piny hops. Medium, smooth body. The flavor is initially a sweet smoky malt, brown sugar balanced by earthy, piny hops. Long lasting, balanced finish. Great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow a three finger head of light brown head with lots of clinging lace. Color is a 28 on the SRM chart. Smell of smoke, chocolate, coffee, and fruit. Taste of chocolate, smoked fish, coffee, caramel, and malt. Very rich and full in my mouth, a great creamy texture. Very fine flavor and really fills my sense with pleasure, I will have to pick up more my next beer buying adventure.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours with a loose creamy tan root beer head that rings when poured quickly (as recommended) and ruby brown body. Kabanossi nose, with some wood, spiced plum, and Band-aids - deep. Smoke but also prune, cherry and brown sugar with prickly allspice and herbal hops. Astringent smoke finish. Light, crisp, round, creamy.

Pretty big and sweet for a Marzen. For such a non-traditional (or more traditional, actually) beer, spectacularly balanced, layered and drinkable. I've forgotten the smoke by the 3rd sip. Is this the best smoked beer out there?

3.66/5  rDev -9.4%

Chilled 0.5l bottle poured into a Weihenstephaner glass.

Pours with a dark coffee cola-like colored body with a ruby to mahogany glow when held to the light. From the pour the beer generates a thick and tan 3 finger collar of foam. Fine head retention with the mass falling away gradually with patches of clingy lace.

Aromatically this beer is a part masterpiece part mutant beast, either way though the aroma given off is a beautiful and definitely something to behold. If you love smokey bbq then you're going to be in love, even if you don't enjoy smoked flavors - the fact this beer can generate notes such as these - will have you amazed.

The smoked small goods and bbq flavors does come through in the taste however it is not as tightly permeated as one may expect. Driven largely by malts and supplemented with floral hops and light spices.

The body is comfortably weighted and moderately carbonated. Very smooth tastes and soft spice notes in the finish. The smokey bacon, roasted honey and fried pork fat flavors that dominate the aroma is one thing but the smooth translation from nose to the taste and the smooth finish brings this beer together very nicely.

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a Spaten 0.5l mug. Served at cellar temp. Fizzy carbonation, sounds like soda, and the brown body looks like root beer. Smell is probably the most unique you'll find in a bottle. It reminds me of a smoldering campfire, or a smoked ham at Easter. Just wonderful; anything smoked is just plain better. Taste is a bit more subtle than the nose would portray. Lots of notes of bacon, wood, peat, and ash. Also, this beer is not very chewy, as it is quite smooth on the palate. It became a bit more mellow as it warmed to room temp. Granted, I like this beer a lot, but it's not one to drink several at a time. The smell and flavor could be overpowering if you are not in the right mood. But one bottle is a perfect size to enjoy. I dare you to find a better made rauchbier. There is a reason this one is called the original.

4.26/5  rDev +5.4%

I was not expecting to like this beer so much. Really delicious. I served it warm as I am currently freezing my ass off. I was anticipating liquid smoke, as in tremendously oversmoked. But actually it has delectable smoky tones to the beer. camp fire ashey wood flavors. A wonderful base beer under the rauch flavor. It would have been successful beer regardless of the smoked malt addition. Caramel dark malt character. Good germen yeast with what tastes like a perfect fermentation. would definitely have another sometime.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Pours a clear deep mahogany color, with a small off-white head.

S: Has a nice wood smoke aroma with a hint of roasted malt.

T: Has a wood smoke flavor with a nice touch of malty sweetness and a fairly dry finish.

F: medium body, smooth and very well balanced. The smoke does does not overpower but seems to enhance the character of the beer.

Great beer for the style. Easy drinker although I might tire of the smoke after a few. Well worth a try.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

A- Poured into a DFH snifter... starts with a white head aobut 1/4" thick that slowly disappears leaving some light lacing. Beer is black in color, with very little color change or light showing through when held up to the ceiling

S- Well, I don't have anything to judge this against, but it smells unbeliveably like smoked meat or campfire

T- Has a smooth caramel malty taste with a weak bittering and very distinct smokey finish... though not as pronounced as in the smell

M- Medium body with light/medium carbonation

D- I wasn't sure about this one going in, but I loved it. Not to ridiculously priced and at 5.4% it's pretty sessionable

CHEERS!!

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Was pan frying some pork schnitzel and decided this would be a perfect beer to go with dinner-- also serving German potato salad and sour kraut.

A deep red-- classic marzen color. Almost white head-- nice lacing.

Wow. This is smokey. Like bacon. I love it. This is miles ahead of a standard marzen. The taste has a light sweetness, a slight cola flavor, big roastiness, and a fried bacon/pork fat flavor. This is quite interesting.

Finish is nice and smokey. Full and robust... Good carbonation.

Wow I really like this. Awesome beer for the style. Much smokies and bacon-like than Mikeller Beer Geek Bacon.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a mini-keg received from neorunner as part of the Blind Beers BIF. Poured into a weizen glass, because I assumed from the German writing on the top of the keg that it would be a wheat beer of some kind. This is also review number 300 -- a milestone!

Looks: foamy. I probably should've let sit and settle a little longer, but I just couldn't wait. The beer rockets from the opened tap, filling the glass completely with cascading light tan bubbles. The glass o'foam eventually fizzles and becomes a nice-looking drink, decorating the walls of the glass heavily with sticky webs of lace, though it remains about two-fingers thick and doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon. The beer itself is deeply hazy, the color of cherry wood, and speckled with oodles of tiny floating flecks. All in all, pretty good-looking.

Smells: salty. I was WAY off on my style guess. This may be one of the smokiest beers to ever grace my nostrils, with notes of campfire fumes amidst salty beef jerky, caramelized pork and a background of cocoa powder. It's captivating; I can't stop dipping my nose in to take huge whiffs.

Tastes: like licking a charred campfire log. The flavor follows the nose fairly well: lots of smoked malt and salty bacon paired with faint hints of cocoa and a subtle sweetness that follows through into the finish. The flavor's not quite as intense as the aroma, but considering the power of that beast, that might be a good thing.

Feels: fairly flat, though that may be the fault of the explosive pour. Regardless, it's got a smooth medium-light body and a light, pleasant finish that works well with the flavor.

Drinks: easily, despite the potent flavor and aroma. Schlenkerla has long been my favorite rauchbier for the simple fact that they do it better than anyone else. No other brewer can deliver the complexity and the pure, unadulterated liquid smokiness and drinkability I find in these.

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer poured a slightly clear dark brown color with a two finger high off-white head. The initial smell of the beer was smoked wood, malts, and of course, BACON. The initial taste of the beer was the bacon flavoring of the smoked beech wood, followed by a light woodiness and malts. This is a very well balanced beer, everything works together to make the flavor pop. The beer has a medium to full body and medium carbonation.

Overall, this is an excellent beer. I recently read about this beer and its history in Brew magazine and read of this bacon flavor. I just figured, "sure it's maybe a hint of bacon." But no, this is more of a dominant characteristic of the beer. As much as I enjoyed this, I can't say this will be a frequented beer by me. This might be something saved for special occasions during the winter time. Overall, I highly recommend trying this one.

4.46/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a glass from a bottle.

A - Pours a deep copper, forming a thin off-white head. Light lacing on the glass.

S - Strong aroma of smoked malts and spices!!

T - The smoked malts completely dominate the palate with maybe a hint of floral hops in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carboantion. Very smooth with the taste staying on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Just flat out amazing taste!! It just doesnt get any better than this as far as rauchbiers go. Full flavor, body and aroma. Its all here. Highly sessionable. I really wish Texas would start importing this.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a dark, clear, brown ruby colour with a good amount of head in the Samuel Smith pint glass. A lot of smoke flavours as one would guess with this beer. A good malty finish to go along with the smoked flavours. Drinks down pretty smooth and the smoke isn't overpowering at all as I was worried about. Decent beer.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

500ml bottle, shared, into 8oz glass: from notes.
A: A good head retention, with a deep brownish body, that was dull and cloudy. lacing present.
S: The main aroma was a smoky, roasted nutty malt. Deep, medium aroma, off aromas of cooked food, meat or vegetables.
M/T: The body is a medium to full bodied taste, no real sweet flavors. Good amount of carbonation, with a nice malty character. Smoky off tastes, a very good intense smoked beer.
D: This is a smoked beer that is not over the top smoke to the point that it would not be enjoyable. Good example of the style.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla