Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
rye726

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Nose has beige head. Nose has big smoke presence over crisp malts, toffee and caramel. Taste also quite smokey yet still well balanced. Clean body is quite refreshing. I'm really starting to enjoy this style and these guys do a great job.

09-11-2009 16:51:20 | More by rye726
julian1117

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Visual Appeal: dark, misty brown with a maroon tinge like sunlight in a dark wood
Smell: wonderful smokiness, like an autumn breeze
Flavour: noticeable malt presence, earthy
Mouthfeel: well-carbonated, but not as strongly as I would like
Drinkability: above average, not overpowering like so many yank brews but not underdone either

Sat on the patio with The Cantankerous for this one and watched the birds playing in the woods behind our house. The smell of the Aecht Schlenkerla was especially pleasing. Surprised by how much I liked this.

09-09-2009 15:06:56 | More by julian1117
Tolnik

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer was poured into a pint glass. As the coloration is that of deep brown color it is actually a good deep red tone to it as well. The smell of smoke aroma is the over tones of smell. It reminds me of meet curing to be jerked. The taste is that of smoke and nice deep caramel tones as well. Makes me want to try more smoked beers.

09-07-2009 02:52:16 | More by Tolnik
stakem

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a very dark amber with 2 finger head of barely off-white foam. Leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. As soon as you crack this beast open you know you are dealing with something a little different. You don't even have to breath through your nose and you can easily pick up on the smokiness in the nose. I can't fight my way through it, all I smell is delicious smokey... nay very smokey bacon. Taking a sip, I am immediately thinking of a delicous roast beef dinner with gravy. What the hell is this, dinner in a bottle? Finish is a little bitter but the smoke remains in your mouth long after you have taken a sip. Another noticable feature is a bit of a metallic taste. The bottle is labled as a marzen but you could easily lie to me and tell me it is something else. I guess if you took away the smokey flavor it might taste like a marzen but I am too caught up in the beefy taste to tell what it is. About all this beer has to offer that is like a marzen is the color, and even that looks like it has been set on fire and burnt a little.

09-04-2009 01:21:00 | More by stakem
Monsteruss

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

My first experience was an explosion of dark wheat colored, thick foam all over - a mess. The color was a beautiful mahogany amber with cola highlights. The smell was VERY dominate smoked or even burnt wood aroma, maybe cedar with a slight chocolate accent and other potent spices. The taste was the same as the smell. Mouthfeel - deep medium-bodied and smooth. Drinkability - It was real good, but the smokiness was a little overpowering.

09-04-2009 00:20:59 | More by Monsteruss
Darkhorse09

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Very dark copper, but leans to the red side when held to light. The head is foamy, dark tan and disappears pretty quickly. Even on a very hard pour, only an inch or two of head.

You smell this beer the minute you crack open the bottle. Big meaty, smokey aroma. Once I put my nose to it though, I couldnt help but get split pea soup. I don't know if anyone else has smelled that on the nose, but it was uncanny to me. Bacon, smoked meat and a slight malt background as well.

Taste follows suit. A lighter smokiness in the flavor, reminscent of campfire and wet leaves. Nice malty marzen underneath.

Mouthfeel is a little light, in my opinion. Obvious smoke could have been bulstered up with a touch more beer flavor. Drinks fast due to this point. Otherwise, it has a pretty good balance.

The nose and flavor is so unique, I'd stick to one of these, unless I had a real taste for another.

This is a unique beer that every BA should try at least once.

09-02-2009 18:07:53 | More by Darkhorse09
tvljr

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

16.9 ounce bottle poured into a German pint glass.

A: Dark red color with a deep reddish brown head that remains long after the pour.

S: Deep smoky aroma that's almost overpowering but alerts the senses that you're about to drink something special.

T: Full-bodied German beer. Smoother than you'd expect after witnessing the dark color and powerful aroma.

M: Medium body with low carbonation. One of my favorite combinations.

One of a kind beer that is well worth the high price. Makes me remember why I so enjoyed living in Germany for four years.

08-30-2009 02:26:11 | More by tvljr
gabe23

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A - Deep ruby red color that looks black until held up to a bright light. No real head or lacing to speak of - only a tiny ring of bubbles.

S - Of course the smokiness dominates the aroma, but some grainy malt comes through as well. Very rich and pleasant smell if you are one who loves bacon, smoked cheese, or barbecued meat.

T - Again you are met with the smoky goodness, reminiscent of smoked gouda and bacon. But the smoke isn't overpowering, and there is some real complexity to the flavor. Some spicy and nutty notes are detectable once the initial blast of smoke subsides. There really isn't much malt sweetness there, but the finish does have a bit of hops bite to it.

M - Medium body but I'd like a bit more carbonation.

D - I'm still developing a palate for this style, but I really liked this beer. I can't say that I'd be able to put away several pints at a sitting, but paired with the right smoky/spicy foods, this beer provides a unique drinking experience.

08-23-2009 01:39:07 | More by gabe23
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

A- pours copper penny brown with a nice head that quickly settles.

S- Maplewood smoked bacon....mmmm. Serious smoke comes off of this one. Unmistakable. Hint of sandalwood? Possibly.

T- Follows the nose. I love this beer. The toasted and roasted malts provide a solid body behind the smoky flavor. A sweetness is noted, and is a nice contrast to the smoke. But that's what this beer is all about, and I loooove it.

M- Rich, smoky, wonderful. This beer is a delight.

D- Moderately high. The smoke can get to you, but for me, I f'ing LOVE this beer. In my opinion, this is a unique, fantastic, and one-of-a-kind beer that is prefect for stretching your concepts of what a beer can be. Although it's an old-world technique, this beer can hold its own and even teach a thing or two to modern brewers. Fan-f'ing-tastic, my passion for this beer is almost unrivaled. One of the best beers I've ever had.

08-18-2009 00:14:59 | More by ShogoKawada
brownbeer

Missouri

I decided to open this to pair with bratwurst but I reviewed it mostly before food interfered.

It smells like a good smoke beer should; bacon fat, campfire. Not too much going on but nice.

Taste is smokey with a little bit of sweet malt and coffee as it warms and finishes off-dry.

I wouldn't drink too many of these on their own but pairing it is wonderful and I would
recommend it. Great for the style but not everyday.

08-14-2009 02:26:07 | More by brownbeer
blackc5

Washington

2.42/5  rDev -40.1%

Well, I am perhaps just not a real smoke beer fan, but I had higher hopes for this. In this case, the smoke simply overpowers any other flavor elements of the beer. I like a subtle smokiness in porters, but for me at least this is just too much smoke. The nose is nice - definitely smells interesting - like a rustic campfire. The taste is just too much like a mix of smoked bacon and cigarettes for me. I love smoked bacon, all smoked foods actually, but can't say I really enjoyed it in liquid form... Perhaps with food it would be better, but by itself, the flavor is almost repulsive actually.

As for mouthfeel, it is light and fairly smooth, but I can practically sense the carcinogens suspended in this as I swallow. Needless to say, drinkability suffers because of the offputting flavors. Definitely a unique experience, and surely an acquired taste - one I can't really see myself trying to hard to develop.

08-13-2009 04:35:36 | More by blackc5
Beerbythepool

Missouri

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from bottle into Nonic pint glass.

I could smell smoke and meat as soon as I removed the cap. Probably the strongest nose I have experienced from a beer to date.

Dark mahogany color with a 2 finger head which disapates fairly quickly. Smells like smoked sausage. Very little lacing.

Dries out my tongue right away with smokey taste in the back of my throat. The mouthfeel is very different because of the meat flavor. Makes me want to chew. I also smell alcohol through the smoke.

Not my favorite beer, but fits the style well and will make fans of this style very happy. Don't think you would throw back more than one of these per night though. Fun to try.

08-12-2009 02:00:34 | More by Beerbythepool
meatyard

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours out a clear, dark amber with a 2-finger, light tan head that leaves bits of splotchy lacing.
The smell is smoky, smoked meats. It's the kind of smell you get when you walk behind a deli counter that sells a few smoked meats especially smoked Salmon.
The taste is still some of the same smoked meat/fish but fills out a bit to include some malt sweetness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is medium/light and quite smooth with just enough carbonation, barely.
Drinkability-drinking one is terrific, it might be harder to finish two bottles one after another though two in a row on tap might be very nice.

I really enjoy various amounts of smoke in a beer. This one has the most of any that I've had and I like it. This is one of those beers that I like but wouldn't want every day (like Sculpin) but once every two weeks would be pleasant.

08-11-2009 22:26:59 | More by meatyard
FloppyDog

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The appearance is a crystal clear deep amber with glimmers of brown. A half inch head comprised of tiny bubbles has lingered since I poured it a few minutes ago.

Smoked meat in the aroma along with a hint of chocolate. Nothing in terms of hops that I can tell. A slight woodiness intermingled with the smoked meat as well.

Upfront in the taste, I get chocolate malt that then mingles with the smoke in the middle and finishes all smoky on the way down. The smoke even lingers after the sip is done. I am also getting some caramel sweetish notes in the middle, but much more of an after thought in comparison to the chocolate and smoke.

Very light bodied and smooth. The smoke decreases drinkability for me, but I understand that this is the style, so I won't let it affect my scoring too much.

Overall, an interesting and complex beer that I think every beer fan should try at least once to see if they like it. I would drink another if given the opportunity.

08-03-2009 03:19:54 | More by FloppyDog
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a clear ruddy black with a nice, light tan head that dies down and gets splotchy. It laces in a similarly spotty fashion.

It smells like Pat Nixons' ashtray and a lead pipe at first, but both of these aromas slowly fade as the head dies down. It's woody, also, and the malt sweetness is a bit of a wallflower.

It tastes like freshly squeezed cross country ski wax, but when the palate acclimates to the smoky, peaty flavors, some nice sweet malt and a hit of noble hops and metallic bitterness kick in to play. There's an overall dryness form start to finish. The mouthfeel is a little light bodied, which seems underdone for such rich smoky flavors, but probably makes the smokiness more bearable.

Overall I'm surprised. I'm not a fan of smokiness and yet I kind of really dig this beer. Huh.

08-01-2009 00:16:32 | More by MeisterBurger
KTCamm

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured 500ml bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep reddish brown color with some white foam and minimal lacing.

Smell - wow. Never smelled a beverage quite like this. Liquid smoke, beef jerky, bacon, you name it, its in there. Smells like your clothes after a night of sitting around a campfire. Made me worried for the taste, but...

Taste - smooth, creamy, none of the smokiness that the smell smacks you in the face with. Some fruits buried in there, other sweetness - maybe caramel, from hints of a nut brown style. A wonderful mixture that stays smooth and creamy throughout the taste.

Very drinkable - if the smell doesn't bother you, you can out down many of these. A unique style definietly worth trying.

07-29-2009 23:14:57 | More by KTCamm
Onenote81

Pour into my stange (first time I've ever used it; cool glass) a dark brownish red, like watered-down coffee. Big light tan head on top. Excellent retention, leaves some spotty lacing. Smells like smoked ham, a dirty grill, and faint sweet maltiness.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a moderate amount of carbonation present. Flavor is smoke, smoke, meat, smoke, smoked meat, slight bitter hops, and smoke. Wow. I was a little hesitant going into this one, but I dig it. I wouldn't want to drink one after the other, as it is a bit different, but I can drink this one plenty fine.

07-17-2009 19:12:47 | More by Onenote81
twiggamortis420

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Pours a clear brown color with a creamy, dense beige head. Nice retention and sticky lacing. Very dark for a marzen, but I am guessing that smoking the malt makes it a bit darker.

I can smell it from 3 feet away...smoky, salty bacon goodness. I get some rye bread and some cracked wheat aromas as well.

While not as smoky as the Urbock, it still has a perceived strong smoke flavor due to the lighter, creamier body. Some notes of roasted pecans and mild chocolate are also noticeable. Even with very little hop presence, it still tastes pretty complex. I like it, but not as much as the Urbock.

Smoked BBQ does not do much for rauchbiers, as I first imagined. I have found chili to be really tasty with it though.

07-08-2009 03:01:24 | More by twiggamortis420
Brad007

Vermont

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a dark red color with a thick and fluffy head into my glass. Nice shade of red and looks right for the style.

Aroma is nice and smoky with a hint of smoked/charred wood and sweet malt underneath.

Taste is smoky with smoked/charred wood and sweet malt underneath. Like drinking liquid smoke, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel is that of smoke but it mellows out towards the back. Consistent and has a nice texture to it. Malt is still present but it comes out more at the back as the smoke fades.

Would go well with grilled or spicy foods. I couldn't drink more than one in a sitting though. Definitely something different and worth a try.

07-05-2009 18:19:48 | More by Brad007
bennetj17

Arizona

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Dark amber color, almost brown, with some transparency. Creamy foam head, off-white, long-lasting. The aroma is a wonderfully smokey bouquet. It's like charred meat of the grill, or burnt bacon. Rich and inviting.

The flavor is relatively unsweetened and is dominated by the smoke. The smoke is nice, and actually you get used to it after a few sips, allowing you to taste some of the other character of the beer. The toasty, bread-like malt begins to come through and does have a mild sweetness. Ah yes, this is like Octoberfest. The mouthfeel holds up nicely, good carbonation, smooth, not thin.

Don't know what took me so long to try this beer. I think other smoke beers I have tried were not nearly this good, so I wasn't interested. I highly recommend this one, and I will be having it again soon...

07-05-2009 16:59:37 | More by bennetj17
jbro434

Switzerland

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

My Dad's all time favorite. I could not wait to finally get to the bier garden in Bamberg to try it other than the bottle that I found on occasion in the US.
Dark brown, nice creamy dense head. Persistent leaving a bit of lacing with each sip.
The smoke is really light and not overpowering. The sweetness is upfront, reminds me of BBQ. Spicy and very complex in the middle. The malt is thick and rich, lightly hopped. Finishes clean, not grainy, sweetness is on the tip of the tongue and extremely dry throughout. Taste lingers until the next sip. I see why Dad loves this. He was based in Bamberg in the 50's and 60's. The bier garden is the place to try this if you are ever in Bamberg.

06-27-2009 08:00:56 | More by jbro434
Lars3

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Rauchbiers are one of my favorite styles so I may be biased with my scoring of this beer, but I love this beer.

The smell greats you as soon as you open the bottle. It is smokey, without being smoke like. It is more akin to smoked salmon or meats than sitting next to a bonfire. If you keep your face planted in the beer the whole time you'll loose the scent, but step away for a minute or two and it greets you all over again.

The flavor is what keeps me coming back. There is no style of beer that goes as well with spicy food as a Rauchbier. Be it Indian, Buffalo Wings, Thai or BBQ, the combo of spice and smoke is only natural. I would caution you to not eat something too spicy, you'll lose the flavor of the beer.

50cL bottle into a half maß.

06-27-2009 00:57:34 | More by Lars3
rayjay

Hawaii

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Deep copper appearance with a firm white foam cap. Haze free and great retention.

Smells like your clothes after a night by the campfire. Strong but tastefully done.

Wild smoke flavors that dominate over all else. Even a bit salty and fishy like smoked salmon. Also soft water.

Light to moderate body that is refreshing to drink, but I wouldn't want it on a hot summer day. Lightly carbonated.

A joy to drink but not all the time.

06-22-2009 01:18:23 | More by rayjay
NightINgale

Russian Federation

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Pours a clear dark brown colour, with a light brown frothy head. Some smaller bubbles on the sides are visible at first, but they disappear promptly enough. Good lacing and head retention.

S - Very smoky, meaty aroma (bratwurst, ribs, bacon, you name it!), with loads of caramel maltiness, a touch of hops and dark fruits.

T - Smokiness sticks around for the entire duration of the drinking. This beer has just enough sweetness, some bitterness. I was also able to get some caramel and chocolate notes. Very rich and satisfying. The finish is smoky, a bit bitter, with some mild sweetness and nice breadiness.

M - Medium (or slightly below medium) body to it. Some carbonation. Loads of that nice meaty smokiness, very satisfying.

D - Goes down very smooth! The smoke does not seem to negatively affect drinkability. In fact, this would be amazing paired with some smoked sausages or ribs!

06-18-2009 23:09:31 | More by NightINgale
erz316

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

1 pt 6 floz bottle into POM stange.

A - dark translucent brown body, with a creamy white head. a dark ruby/copper colour like a cola, but more diaphanous. dead settles down to a very thing coating quickly.

S - smells strongly of smoked wood, almost like smoked jerky or ham. some malt character in the mid ground.

T - initial flavour is a strong malt sensation of dark malt savoriness rather than the the sweetness. the carbonation along with the bold face of the malts gives it the illusion of being chewy, but the body is far to thin to be anything near that. there is a bit of hoppy twang that comes out with the smoke, almost equal at first but then the smoke character is dominant. the finish keeps the hops along for the ride while the smoke does its job. after taste at first is purely smoke flavour, like I just had some really strongly smoked Canadian bacon. the flavour lessens in strength but remains noticeable.

MF&D - a thin body with a big taste, carbonation is good and makes up for any misgivings the body itself would have allowed.

When I first had this beer as a teenager I was utterly horrified that a beer could be smoked, then again I didnt know German at that age, so Rauchbier was inaptly translated as something-or-other-beer. but now, I knew what was coming and I can say that I love it.

06-13-2009 20:29:27 | More by erz316