Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,059 | Hads: 2,116
3.99/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark, reddish-brown with a thin, off-white head. A small amount of carbonation, little to no lacing. A very smoky, malty smell. Smoked meat smell. Spicy peppery with a meaty finish is predominant. Pepper and smoke right up the nose. A hop presence in the end. I have not had many smokey beers, and oh boy is this unique. A thinner medium body. A slight hop bite to finish with a hint of black licorice. As it warms, it becomes smoother and even more enjoyable. This is one that an acquired taste will help.

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

When I bought this beer, some guy told me this beer is like drinking a smoky sausage. I laughed at the moment, but I can assure you now I know what he was talking about. Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass

A: Dark caramel color with a dirty snow head of around 1 finger. The head slowly melts into a thin layer after a while. Clear, and without that many bubbles, the look that the beer offers is very tempting.

S: The moment I opened the bottle, the room was filled by a smoky ham/meat/sausage smell. After pouring it, one can discover notes of bread, although the smoky sausage smell almost takes over the rest of the aromas.

T: The taste is mainly smoked meat. You feel this from the very beginning to the after taste. There are some notes of bread, perhaps some caramel at the beginning, but I could not taste any hops, sorry. However, these disappear quite fast, and suddenly, all you taste is smoky sausage. I have to say, it is exactly as this guy told me, and that was a huge surprise.

F: The feeling in the mouth is full bodied, with medium to high carbonation.

O: This beer... I can say its the weirdest beer I have ever tried so far(I still have to see if Lambic beer will be stranger than this). The smoky meat smell and flavour surprised me so much. I really recommend it, because I think its such a big difference with the rest of the beers, and such a big experience to drink it. However, I don't think I will buy it again, as the meaty flavour in a beer is not something I'm looking for.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Not as smoke forward as some other Schlenkerla beers but still very much so. Some caramel and chocolate sweetness is also around with just enough hop bitterness to keep things interesting.

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice amber colour with a very nice head, slightly cloudy.

S:Classic Blackforest Ham aroma. A touch of malty sweetness

T: The flavor of bready/grain and toffee flavor, layerd with with a complex but not over powering smoke presence. Clean dry finish.

M: Nice medium higher carbonation.

O: A great Germany beer, probably the best commercial example you can find in America.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

When I first popped the cap the smoked meat smell permeated the the table. When I poured the head went dissipated pretty quickly. The beer itself it pitch black. Taste wise it had a strong smoked pork taste. I had this beer with a heavy meal and I wouldn't recommend it. Its better drank as a standalone or maybe with a light snack.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%

Hmm I personally find the smoke character of this beer to be somewhat of a disappointment for something which is apparently made from 100% smoked malt. THAT BEING SAID this is a very delicious beer. I could drink this by the liter.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

I have wanted this guy for quite some time. Finally found it at a price that wouldn't ass rape me, plus it was local

Look - Pours as black as the.night sky, only penetrable if you hold it up to the light. Leaves no lacing.

Smell - A touch of roasted pork with some mahongany wood smoke and dark cherries.

Taste - Bacon. B-A-C-O-N. Period. Bacon. Some sweet cherry on the finish.

Feel - Medium body with a touch of carbonation.

Overall - Do you like bacon? Yes? Drink it. No? Avoid. Fuck it. I love bacon so I'm biased on this one. Great...GREAT Rauchbier if it is a prime example of the style.

2.8/5  rDev -31%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Almost opaque dark brown color with a copper hue and faint activity. Light brown 2 finger head, lasting around 10 minutes, with average legs.

Aromas of bacon and smoked salmon on wood. Flavors of smoky meat, tobacco, roasted coffee, caramel, and herbal spices. Feels like bread mixed with wood and bacon. Well balanced between sweetness and bitterness.

Full body with prickly carbonation. Strong finish of medium length, ending with a spicy smoky meaty beef jerky feel, still with a nice balance from the sweet and sour.

Overall this is my first of this style and not really a fan. Incredible experience to try, yes, but is it a beer that I enjoy or would I drink it again, no. Still perfectly drinkable to the last drop with complex and interesting flavors. The smoky meaty bacon taste is overwhelming the other flavors. The body is flat and missing some freshness. Sure I'm a bacon lover but not in my beer!

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours from a 500ml bottle into a stange. Pours with a half singer's worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a quarter's worth within 30 seconds. Very dark brown in color with a ruby tint. Plenty of bubbles (wonder why the head isn't bigger). Lacing is practically absent. Has very strong aromas of.... BACON?! Was not expecting that at all. This smells like hickory smoked bacon. Mild black pepper aromas also included with a hint of maple syrup. Initial taste is strong with hickory smoked bacon and mild black pepper flavors (no surprise there). Mild barley malt flavors enter shortly afterwards along with very subtle maple syrup flavors. As all flavors except for maple syrup persist in their respected magnitudes, a mild copper flavor enters the final symphony of taste (this somewhat ruins the taste as I don't like drinking metal or metal flavored beverages). Full bodied with a mild syrupy feel, mildly carbonated with a slightly dry finish. My first Rauchbier (clearly from my reaction) and definitively not my last.

4.81/5  rDev +18.5%

I bought one 500-ml bottle at a store of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, the provincial agency that regulates the sale of wine for off-site consumption in Ontario.

Look: I poured the beer into a Cervoise glass. The body is slightly similar to that of a strong dark ale. The extremities have an amber hue while the rest of the body is pitch black. The head, which is light brown, is a finger long. Unfortunately, the head tends to vanish quickly leaving a creamy ring near the glass's rim. As I drank the beer, I also noticed sediments of an oily-like texture on the surface.

Smell: The beer delivers in this department! Its aromas is close to the smoke of a flame that was slightly perfumed. Think of a BBQ smoke without the smell of a liquid gas used to fan the flame.

Taste: It is very consistent with the smell. What makes this beer stand out from others is the fact that it tastes like smoked hops. As a result of that, you are under the impression you are tasting meat smoked on the grill without marinade or oil. Moreover, because your mouth will salivate upon drinking this beer, you also feel some notes of lemon.

Feel: The carbonation is very low. Hence, the quick disappearance of the head after less than five minutes. However, we trade one trade-off for an advantage. In fact, this puts the emphasis on the hints of meats smoked on the grill. Moreover, the beer slightly warms your tongue, your head and your rib cage upon entering your wind pipe.

Overall: It is a beer that goes quite well with a homemade hamburger. It can also be drank alone. Although I heard that there are other stronger smoke beers, Schlenkerla Marzen is a new favourite of my mine.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Schlenkerla, what can we say about them that hasn’t already been said? They are the undisputed kings of the Rauchbier genre... well they may be a little disputed, HaandBryggeriet’s Norwegian Wood for example is a really good Rauch... anyway, it’s time to finally review the Märzen, which was actually the first Rauchbier I tried, lost my Rauch-ginity to Schlenkerla, and TBH I did not like it the first time. Now that I’m a seasoned Rauch drinker Schlenkerla Urbock is my go to glass of liquid bacon, let’s see if this revisit to the Märzen is as good.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Presents a deep slight-hazed Bole brown body with a tight-packed 2cm beige head that settles to half a centimetre. Looks a real dark smoky treat, wunderbar! 8/10.

S: Bacon, yes you’ve been expected, probably the biggest difference between this and the Urbock is this one trends towards sweetness in the aroma with an almost icing sugar/cake frosting sweetness lingering in the background. Apart from that it is Beechwood FTW. 8/10.

T: Not as bold as the Urbock... actually I’m surprised by how shocked I recall being when I first tried this many moons ago - yes it is smoky, but not quite as smoky as the Urbock, and this is well balanced with notes of Bacon, sweet honey malt and a twist of lemon. This is the Märzen cousin of Urbock (remember that Märzens are bottom-fermented, in other words; a Lager, even though they don’t often come across as Lagers). Finish is Dry Munich Helles dry with a touch of yeast sourness. 8/10.

M: Mid to light bodied (a bit watery compared to the Urbock) with a light but dense carbonation - fits the Märzen bill well, not great. 7/10.

D: Overall this is wunderbar compared to the Urbock’s ehrfürchtige. A class act of a Rauch that is overshadowed by THE best Rauchbier in the world (Schlenkerla’s own Urbock). If I had to pick a cured meat to compare this Märzen to (as is my tradition for all Schlenkerla beer reviews) I would say this is: Smoked honey ham. If you like smoked honey ham you will like this offering from Bamberg (the unofficial home of sexual relations). Bam. 9/10.

Food match: Who needs food when you have a glass of this glorious smoked honey ham delight? Seriously though: Bavarian pork knuckle with fried potato and onions and sauerkraut... damn I’m hungry now.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

This is an unbelievable beer experience. I thought this would taste like smoked salami or jerky but this is in a category of its own. Wow! A must try. It is a must to serve at cellar temp 40 degrees to 45.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Overall an amazing beer that is pure meaty smoke. Like bacon. The problem is that it is so flavorful and aggressive that the big bottle is simply too much. Other than that, everyone needs to try this beer at least once.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle, unknown date, limited review:
Pours cola brown, lots of carbonation sustaining head at the edges (not self-sustaining, it appears).
Nose is as expected, smokey wood in a smokehouse sense. Downside, little else in this pour.
Feel is a little thinner than I recall the other beers from this brewer. The malts don't add a lot to the brew, a dark bread like flavor is about all I get, maybe a light toffee sweetness. Of course, the smoke is there, and it's far from overpowering as expected. However, the lack of other components to the flavor lead me to think this seems more smokey.
Might have to give this one more try to be certain, but otherwise I'll favor the Urbock when fancying a rauchbier.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy brown color. Pale head, very fine foam, light.

Smell is kind of awesome actually. Malt, smoke, bacon. Happiness.

Taste is lighter than the smell suggests. Easy to drink. Malt, smoke. Not sweet. Not much bitterness. Almost sessionable, really, if not for the smoke.

Feels fine, consistent with the taste.

Overall this is just kind of compelling and awesome. I don't think I'd want it daily, maybe not weekly, but I think I'll stock at least one or two of these.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

-pours a copper-ruby with a medium,creamy,beige head
-medium carbonation visible

My first smoked beer
-Big amount of smoked meat is tasted first
-Typical Märzen flavors then follow like dark fruits (plums,Feigs,dates),big malts
-Nice,hoppy finish
-carbonation couldve been a little more

Pretty awesome shit,esp. for lunch/dinner
-Beer gets more awesome with every sip

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a tankard.

Appearance: It's a fairly clear dark copper with a two-finger off-white head that dissipates to film fairly quickly.

Aroma: Smoke! Smells like all manner of smoked meat, with maybe a little smoked mozzarella, too. Some wood chips and bonfire-type smells, too.

Taste: Big, smokey, earthy flavor here. Tastes almost like a smoked ham paired with some roasted nuts. Lots of malt flavor, too. Those wood chip-type aromas from the nose are noticeable, too.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Surprisingly easy to drink for having such a pronounced flavor profile.

Overall: Terrific smoked beer. Perfect for a cool day; will be revisiting this when fall rolls around for sure.

2.32/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Coming from a man completely estranged from the "smokebeer" category, I find this undrinkable. I'm hoping there's a more approachable beer in the category, because this simply tasted like smoke

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Fantastic rauchbier. The smell is so intense that capture you. You can feel the smell of burning wood. If you know italian kitchen tradition you can feel "scamorza affumicata" smell. The taste mantain the same characteristics and explodes in tour mouth. This beer is zone of my favourite.

4.63/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This beer displays a body that isn't heavy, shining a light-medium brown with a bit of orange and not heavier than translucent. The head is a tan one, small but tight and creamy. Lacing sticks nicely to the glass as the beer recedes.
This fantastic rauch smells like smoked meats without being heavy or overly meaty, emphasizing the smoke with no char or acridity. It just has a strong but even smell that doesn't overpower the nose but balances well, displaying what it should and making me want to both smell it longer and drink it immediately. The malty base is built upon very nicely, and there's a definite savory note.
The taste follows suit, beautifully and deliciously. There's a very gentle spiciness to the smoke, which is the main component but followed through with some very light fruity and extremely gentle acidity that complements almost perfectly and a sort of dark cocoa / nutty taste underlying. Smoke, though. Smooth, peaty, delicious smoke from beginning to end, combined with all its elements and balanced so well, makes this one of the best Rauchbiers in the world.
Appropriately, the body doesn't verge past medium, if even very far into it. It's smooth, slightly mineral, and a touch tangy with a twang in the back but building up no harshness at all. It ends dry as it picks up a bit of ash into the end.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured with a beautiful light brown head. Gorgeous beer.
The aroma hits you like a smoker full of salmon.
The taste, amazing smokiness.
Makes me want to fire up my smoker.
Amazing beer!!!!

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours, with almost no head, a deep, luscious brown, almost black. One whiff and you know what you're in for - Smoke City, USA...or Germany, rather. Smells like bacon, smoked turkey, with just a hint of bitterness and some sweet malts.

Tastes like liquid smoke, in the best way possible. Less meaty in flavor than scent, but I'm also tasting a lot barley malts, caramel, and still just a hint of hops to counter the rich, sweet flavor. It's also remarkably smooth with only a little bit of fizz and a fairly low ABV content. Yeah, this one is really well balanced, and really good. And not too strong that I couldn't see myself having more than one - well, aside the from the $8 price tag on the bottle.

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish brown color with a good sized light brown head. Recedes quickly, leaving a thin head and a small ring of lacing around the edges, but nothing sticks to the glass.

Aroma is great. Smoked sausage and bacon, fired wood, smoke, and some roasted malts, with the slightest hint of roasted coffee.

Some very sweet, earthy and caramel malts lead it off. A surprising amount of bitterness. Notes of molasses peak through. Followed by some woody flavors (what I imagine a smoked wood chip would taste like, though not in a bad way). The smoked bacon and sausage are still present, leaning a bit more towards bacon. A slight metallic taste. Finishes with a moderate amount of hop bitterness, which pairs nicely with the sweet malts.

Medium bodied. Smooth. Crazy easy to drink. FInished a pint of this in no time.

This was a fantastic beer. FIrst rauchbier. Looking forward to trying more. They totally nailed all the flavors with this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

500 ml bottle poured into a 2 Gingers stange glass.

Pours a clear, dark brown with a creamy, two-finger head that dissipates to a thin ring, leaving lots of lacing in its passing. The smell is of smoked ham and treacle, roasted malt and caramel. The flavor reflects the aromas in perfect harmony. Moderate carbonation and silken mouth feel round out this classic Marzen based rauchsbier. A very enjoyable experience to be repeated before too long, especially with Surly Smoke now on the shelves.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Whoa. Smokey; a touch of leather? Dark in the glass and aromatic.

LOOK: Poured into a 16 oz. shaker. Dark brown, with reddish hues throughout. Pretty clarified. Nice foamy head, though it doesn't stick around. And/but it almost looks like a cola in the glass?

SMELL: wood smoke and leather.

TASTE: sweet malts at the start, but smoke and leather dominate. Mild hop bitterness in the finish. Slightly metallic. (But mostly it's smoke smoke smoke.)

FEEL: medium-bodied, a little chewy. Really coats the mouth. Highly carbonated. Brightens up on the tongue a bit, brings out those smoke flavors.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla