Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,038 | Hads: 2,058
4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours out a dark brown cola colour that lights up a rich ruby wine red under the light. Quite clear and typical lager carbonation. A nice bubbly tan head of sizeable hight puffs up quickly and fades to a more modest covering pretty quickly.

Rauchbiers might be the one type of beer where I look forward to the smell even more than the taste. Beautiful woody smoke pours from the glass like a campfire. Roasted pig, smoked bacon, smoked trout, salty leather, sweet honey glaze. This aroma makes you hungry more than thirsty. There is a nice sweetness present thanks to the malts and it rounds out the smokiness nicely. A beast in the nose i just want to keep sniffing at the glass. Scent is highly associated with memory the dejavu phenomenon - smelling Schlenkerla is like immediately being transported to a roaring fire in an 18th century library amongst the dank air, centuries old leather couches and tomes of literature reeking age and character. I swear this aroma is going to influence my dreams tonight!

It gets better when you drink though, as you'd swear this is a marvel of modern gastronomic chemistry where they managed to convert smoked sausage and smoked salmon with honey glaze into alcoholic liquid beer form, too good to be true!!! The smoke is omnipresent but rich and rounded, not ashy or drying, and well complemented by the malt backbone that lends a foundation and sweet balance. Never overpowering, just intoxicating. Drinks like a typical lager with some extra viscosity.

Some beers are "an experience" without being all that enjoyable or something you would go back to again and again. Thats not this. The Aecht Schlenkerla is a peoples beer, a commoner, a local, an old regular, your grandfather with a thousand stories to tell. Its making me damn near poetic its that good! (1,805 characters)

4.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Service: Bottle
Best before: Jun-2016

A:
Pours a clear ruddy brown with a tight finger of beige foam that sticks pretty well at a film with a ring. OK retention; specks of lacing. (3.75)

S:
Smoked meat/sausage. Very 'together' smoky aroma camping, bacon, sugar, some hard water and a hint of caramel. (4)

T:
Smooth mineraly smoke flavor. Campfire, sausage with a little even-handed dark bread flavor in the background and the faintest hint of spicy hops. (4)

M:
Little bubbles, full creamy fell, medium body, lingering aromatic finish. (4.25)

O:
Very tasty, interesting beer with a smoky character.
What is most interesting/enjoyable is that the smoke is just about all there is, but is there in such a way as to not be intrusive or unenjoyable in any way. Might not drink a six-pack of them and I can understand why some people wouldn't like it; but it is a damn tasty, well-made beer. Pairs great with a wide variety of foods, too.
Will have again; worth trying. (4.25) (998 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Poured into a large pilsner glass. Pours a beautiful dark red to brown with thin white head.

S: Smells like liquid camp fire.

T: Smell melts into great flavor. Almost bacony.

F: Silky, oily.

O: Impressed with my first Rauchbier. (242 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A Rauchbier/Marzen?? Say it ain't so! Thanks ozzylizzard!

A : Pours a muddy brown earthy color with cranberry hues popping through with direct light. The opacity is about 90%. The head is creamy and tightly knit, frothy, sort of like a Guinness. 3 fingers to start, and then receding to a milky ring leaving hilly lace on the sides.

S : Oh. My. Goodness. Bacon, smoked brisket, and fire pit breaths with a background of roasted chocolate malts and a hint of buttermilk. I keep thinking of an iceberg wedge with bacon ranch. The sharp smoke aromas fade at the end, softening with more malts.

T : Slightly washed out compared to the nose, but with heavy roasted malts at the front (rice and barley), with a backing of smoke, pulled pork, dry short ribs, some molasses, cardamom, and a slight alcohol burn.

F : Slightly watery but still retains density, with a buzzing under current and a dried smokey finish.

O : This was a fantastic, completely original, out-of-the-box beer. Week after week I have beers that are similar, and while most are good, some are not...but this was truly a different experience. I need to find more of this, ASAP. This is beer and ribs in a bottle. Fabulous. (1,193 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

500ml bottle bought on sale (I couldn't find a date on the bottle, but I assume it was at least a little old). Reasonable carbonation when opening. Poured a dark brown, with a beautiful foamy light-brown head. I could smell smoke in the aroma, and I could taste the smoke in the beer as well. It was a decent tasting German beer, and I liked the smoke in the flavor. I enjoyed drinking it for the first few sips, but then I found myself drinking it simply because it was the only beer in front of me at the moment. It turns out, I decide not to finish it. It tasted a little old, and so my guess is it would taste better fresh. I had the dopplebock version of this beer earlier this summer, and I liked that one much better. (724 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark, reddish-brown with a thin, off-white head. A small amount of carbonation, little to no lacing. A very smoky, malty smell. Smoked meat smell. Spicy peppery with a meaty finish is predominant. Pepper and smoke right up the nose. A hop presence in the end. I have not had many smokey beers, and oh boy is this unique. A thinner medium body. A slight hop bite to finish with a hint of black licorice. As it warms, it becomes smoother and even more enjoyable. This is one that an acquired taste will help. (525 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

When I bought this beer, some guy told me this beer is like drinking a smoky sausage. I laughed at the moment, but I can assure you now I know what he was talking about. Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass

A: Dark caramel color with a dirty snow head of around 1 finger. The head slowly melts into a thin layer after a while. Clear, and without that many bubbles, the look that the beer offers is very tempting.

S: The moment I opened the bottle, the room was filled by a smoky ham/meat/sausage smell. After pouring it, one can discover notes of bread, although the smoky sausage smell almost takes over the rest of the aromas.

T: The taste is mainly smoked meat. You feel this from the very beginning to the after taste. There are some notes of bread, perhaps some caramel at the beginning, but I could not taste any hops, sorry. However, these disappear quite fast, and suddenly, all you taste is smoky sausage. I have to say, it is exactly as this guy told me, and that was a huge surprise.

F: The feeling in the mouth is full bodied, with medium to high carbonation.

O: This beer... I can say its the weirdest beer I have ever tried so far(I still have to see if Lambic beer will be stranger than this). The smoky meat smell and flavour surprised me so much. I really recommend it, because I think its such a big difference with the rest of the beers, and such a big experience to drink it. However, I don't think I will buy it again, as the meaty flavour in a beer is not something I'm looking for. (1,518 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Not as smoke forward as some other Schlenkerla beers but still very much so. Some caramel and chocolate sweetness is also around with just enough hop bitterness to keep things interesting. (188 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice amber colour with a very nice head, slightly cloudy.

S:Classic Blackforest Ham aroma. A touch of malty sweetness

T: The flavor of bready/grain and toffee flavor, layerd with with a complex but not over powering smoke presence. Clean dry finish.

M: Nice medium higher carbonation.

O: A great Germany beer, probably the best commercial example you can find in America. (379 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1%

When I first popped the cap the smoked meat smell permeated the the table. When I poured the head went dissipated pretty quickly. The beer itself it pitch black. Taste wise it had a strong smoked pork taste. I had this beer with a heavy meal and I wouldn't recommend it. Its better drank as a standalone or maybe with a light snack. (332 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%

Hmm I personally find the smoke character of this beer to be somewhat of a disappointment for something which is apparently made from 100% smoked malt. THAT BEING SAID this is a very delicious beer. I could drink this by the liter. (231 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

I have wanted this guy for quite some time. Finally found it at a price that wouldn't ass rape me, plus it was local

Look - Pours as black as the.night sky, only penetrable if you hold it up to the light. Leaves no lacing.

Smell - A touch of roasted pork with some mahongany wood smoke and dark cherries.

Taste - Bacon. B-A-C-O-N. Period. Bacon. Some sweet cherry on the finish.

Feel - Medium body with a touch of carbonation.

Overall - Do you like bacon? Yes? Drink it. No? Avoid. Fuck it. I love bacon so I'm biased on this one. Great...GREAT Rauchbier if it is a prime example of the style. (599 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -31%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Almost opaque dark brown color with a copper hue and faint activity. Light brown 2 finger head, lasting around 10 minutes, with average legs.

Aromas of bacon and smoked salmon on wood. Flavors of smoky meat, tobacco, roasted coffee, caramel, and herbal spices. Feels like bread mixed with wood and bacon. Well balanced between sweetness and bitterness.

Full body with prickly carbonation. Strong finish of medium length, ending with a spicy smoky meaty beef jerky feel, still with a nice balance from the sweet and sour.

Overall this is my first of this style and not really a fan. Incredible experience to try, yes, but is it a beer that I enjoy or would I drink it again, no. Still perfectly drinkable to the last drop with complex and interesting flavors. The smoky meaty bacon taste is overwhelming the other flavors. The body is flat and missing some freshness. Sure I'm a bacon lover but not in my beer! (912 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours from a 500ml bottle into a stange. Pours with a half singer's worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a quarter's worth within 30 seconds. Very dark brown in color with a ruby tint. Plenty of bubbles (wonder why the head isn't bigger). Lacing is practically absent. Has very strong aromas of.... BACON?! Was not expecting that at all. This smells like hickory smoked bacon. Mild black pepper aromas also included with a hint of maple syrup. Initial taste is strong with hickory smoked bacon and mild black pepper flavors (no surprise there). Mild barley malt flavors enter shortly afterwards along with very subtle maple syrup flavors. As all flavors except for maple syrup persist in their respected magnitudes, a mild copper flavor enters the final symphony of taste (this somewhat ruins the taste as I don't like drinking metal or metal flavored beverages). Full bodied with a mild syrupy feel, mildly carbonated with a slightly dry finish. My first Rauchbier (clearly from my reaction) and definitively not my last. (1,032 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +18.5%

I bought one 500-ml bottle at a store of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, the provincial agency that regulates the sale of wine for off-site consumption in Ontario.

Look: I poured the beer into a Cervoise glass. The body is slightly similar to that of a strong dark ale. The extremities have an amber hue while the rest of the body is pitch black. The head, which is light brown, is a finger long. Unfortunately, the head tends to vanish quickly leaving a creamy ring near the glass's rim. As I drank the beer, I also noticed sediments of an oily-like texture on the surface.

Smell: The beer delivers in this department! Its aromas is close to the smoke of a flame that was slightly perfumed. Think of a BBQ smoke without the smell of a liquid gas used to fan the flame.

Taste: It is very consistent with the smell. What makes this beer stand out from others is the fact that it tastes like smoked hops. As a result of that, you are under the impression you are tasting meat smoked on the grill without marinade or oil. Moreover, because your mouth will salivate upon drinking this beer, you also feel some notes of lemon.

Feel: The carbonation is very low. Hence, the quick disappearance of the head after less than five minutes. However, we trade one trade-off for an advantage. In fact, this puts the emphasis on the hints of meats smoked on the grill. Moreover, the beer slightly warms your tongue, your head and your rib cage upon entering your wind pipe.

Overall: It is a beer that goes quite well with a homemade hamburger. It can also be drank alone. Although I heard that there are other stronger smoke beers, Schlenkerla Marzen is a new favourite of my mine. (1,677 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Schlenkerla, what can we say about them that hasn’t already been said? They are the undisputed kings of the Rauchbier genre... well they may be a little disputed, HaandBryggeriet’s Norwegian Wood for example is a really good Rauch... anyway, it’s time to finally review the Märzen, which was actually the first Rauchbier I tried, lost my Rauch-ginity to Schlenkerla, and TBH I did not like it the first time. Now that I’m a seasoned Rauch drinker Schlenkerla Urbock is my go to glass of liquid bacon, let’s see if this revisit to the Märzen is as good.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Presents a deep slight-hazed Bole brown body with a tight-packed 2cm beige head that settles to half a centimetre. Looks a real dark smoky treat, wunderbar! 8/10.

S: Bacon, yes you’ve been expected, probably the biggest difference between this and the Urbock is this one trends towards sweetness in the aroma with an almost icing sugar/cake frosting sweetness lingering in the background. Apart from that it is Beechwood FTW. 8/10.

T: Not as bold as the Urbock... actually I’m surprised by how shocked I recall being when I first tried this many moons ago - yes it is smoky, but not quite as smoky as the Urbock, and this is well balanced with notes of Bacon, sweet honey malt and a twist of lemon. This is the Märzen cousin of Urbock (remember that Märzens are bottom-fermented, in other words; a Lager, even though they don’t often come across as Lagers). Finish is Dry Munich Helles dry with a touch of yeast sourness. 8/10.

M: Mid to light bodied (a bit watery compared to the Urbock) with a light but dense carbonation - fits the Märzen bill well, not great. 7/10.

D: Overall this is wunderbar compared to the Urbock’s ehrfürchtige. A class act of a Rauch that is overshadowed by THE best Rauchbier in the world (Schlenkerla’s own Urbock). If I had to pick a cured meat to compare this Märzen to (as is my tradition for all Schlenkerla beer reviews) I would say this is: Smoked honey ham. If you like smoked honey ham you will like this offering from Bamberg (the unofficial home of sexual relations). Bam. 9/10.

Food match: Who needs food when you have a glass of this glorious smoked honey ham delight? Seriously though: Bavarian pork knuckle with fried potato and onions and sauerkraut... damn I’m hungry now. (2,350 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

This is an unbelievable beer experience. I thought this would taste like smoked salami or jerky but this is in a category of its own. Wow! A must try. It is a must to serve at cellar temp 40 degrees to 45. (208 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Overall an amazing beer that is pure meaty smoke. Like bacon. The problem is that it is so flavorful and aggressive that the big bottle is simply too much. Other than that, everyone needs to try this beer at least once. (219 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle, unknown date, limited review:
Pours cola brown, lots of carbonation sustaining head at the edges (not self-sustaining, it appears).
Nose is as expected, smokey wood in a smokehouse sense. Downside, little else in this pour.
Feel is a little thinner than I recall the other beers from this brewer. The malts don't add a lot to the brew, a dark bread like flavor is about all I get, maybe a light toffee sweetness. Of course, the smoke is there, and it's far from overpowering as expected. However, the lack of other components to the flavor lead me to think this seems more smokey.
Might have to give this one more try to be certain, but otherwise I'll favor the Urbock when fancying a rauchbier. (707 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy brown color. Pale head, very fine foam, light.

Smell is kind of awesome actually. Malt, smoke, bacon. Happiness.

Taste is lighter than the smell suggests. Easy to drink. Malt, smoke. Not sweet. Not much bitterness. Almost sessionable, really, if not for the smoke.

Feels fine, consistent with the taste.

Overall this is just kind of compelling and awesome. I don't think I'd want it daily, maybe not weekly, but I think I'll stock at least one or two of these. (472 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

My first smoked beer
-Big amount of smoked meat is tasted first
-Typical Märzen flavors then follow like dark fruits (plums,Feigs,dates),big malts
-Nice,hoppy finish
-carbonation couldve been a little more

Pretty awesome shit,esp. for lunch/dinner
-Beer gets more awesome with every sip (288 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a tankard.

Appearance: It's a fairly clear dark copper with a two-finger off-white head that dissipates to film fairly quickly.

Aroma: Smoke! Smells like all manner of smoked meat, with maybe a little smoked mozzarella, too. Some wood chips and bonfire-type smells, too.

Taste: Big, smokey, earthy flavor here. Tastes almost like a smoked ham paired with some roasted nuts. Lots of malt flavor, too. Those wood chip-type aromas from the nose are noticeable, too.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Surprisingly easy to drink for having such a pronounced flavor profile.

Overall: Terrific smoked beer. Perfect for a cool day; will be revisiting this when fall rolls around for sure. (703 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Coming from a man completely estranged from the "smokebeer" category, I find this undrinkable. I'm hoping there's a more approachable beer in the category, because this simply tasted like smoke (193 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Fantastic rauchbier. The smell is so intense that capture you. You can feel the smell of burning wood. If you know italian kitchen tradition you can feel "scamorza affumicata" smell. The taste mantain the same characteristics and explodes in tour mouth. This beer is zone of my favourite. (288 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This beer displays a body that isn't heavy, shining a light-medium brown with a bit of orange and not heavier than translucent. The head is a tan one, small but tight and creamy. Lacing sticks nicely to the glass as the beer recedes.
This fantastic rauch smells like smoked meats without being heavy or overly meaty, emphasizing the smoke with no char or acridity. It just has a strong but even smell that doesn't overpower the nose but balances well, displaying what it should and making me want to both smell it longer and drink it immediately. The malty base is built upon very nicely, and there's a definite savory note.
The taste follows suit, beautifully and deliciously. There's a very gentle spiciness to the smoke, which is the main component but followed through with some very light fruity and extremely gentle acidity that complements almost perfectly and a sort of dark cocoa / nutty taste underlying. Smoke, though. Smooth, peaty, delicious smoke from beginning to end, combined with all its elements and balanced so well, makes this one of the best Rauchbiers in the world.
Appropriately, the body doesn't verge past medium, if even very far into it. It's smooth, slightly mineral, and a touch tangy with a twang in the back but building up no harshness at all. It ends dry as it picks up a bit of ash into the end. (1,341 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla