Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Dark amber/ruby, clear, slightly with a beautiful 3 finger head that really sticks

S: Smoked ham is most dominant but i also get other smoked meats like bacon. There is some nice bready malts also in the mix but the aroma is mostly smoked ham

T: Delicious smoked ham and pork. Some caramel, but mostly smoked ham.

M: Medium viscosity with some creaminess

D: One of these is all you need. Too intense for more

O: Probably my favorite from the brewery.

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours pretty dark, good amount of head. Smells malty and pretty smoky. Tasting it tastes like a bonfire in my mouth, its very smokey no joke. Not bad either but its kind of boring its just a TON of smoke with some malts and it feels like it could use some other kick. Otherwise glad I bought this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

A: The pour is very dark brown in color with an off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: This is one damn smokey beer. Intense char, smoke, and burnt wood. There's a definite salty and meaty character to the nose. Sort of sweet underneath with a little bit of toffee.

T: More of the same smoke on the palate. Intensely smokey with lots of char, salt, and meat flavors. A bit like campfire. Luckily there is a bit of sweetness of bread and toffee hiding in the background.

M: Medium in body with a somewhat low level of carbonation.

O: This wasn't as bad as I had remembered it being, but I still wouldn't drink more than a few ounces of it.

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a three inch, rocky offwhite head that dissipates slowly leaving thick lacing. Pours a dark brown and leaves a few lines of short-lasting lacing.

Smell: Some smoke and toast. Subtle, mild smell. Some bland maltiness underneath the smoke.

Taste: Follows the nose. Smooth bland lager then tons of campfire / wood burning stove smoke that's savory and complex, lasting into a long, surprisingly dry finish. The smoke is bold but not palate wrecking or mouthcoating or anything; for such a strong flavor, it's quite delicate.

While the non-smoke flavors unfortunately don't get past bland, white-bread maltiness, the smoke develops quite a bit; there's charcoal, ash, burnt bacon, and more. The other aspects of the beer don't "fail to stand up to the smoke," but rather are just 1-dimensional to begin with. White bread and a hint of lager-y tartness. Some bitterness would really set this beer off.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied, but with some creaminess. Unexpectedly (and unwelcomely) dry finish. Too low carbonation.

Overall: Nice flavor. While on its own there's a lot of things that leave me a bit unsatisfied, the beer earns an extra point in "Overall" for how well it pairs with food. If this were "Pairing-food-with-beer-advocate," this one would get an easy 5.

I generally don't like to drink beer while I eat, but I had a hunch that this would pair well with a veggie burger (w/ onions, mustard, ketchup, salt, pepper, tomatoes, garlic powder) and vegetable soup (lots of salt, herbs, freshly cracked black pepper). My hunch was right. If you're looking for a beer to drink with burgers and/or aggressively seasoned soups, look no further. The delicate flavors in this beer don't just stand up to salt and spices, they beautifully compliment them while themselves getting more intense.

I can't think of a better beer for a barbecue. Pairs amazingly.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a wide-mouth glass, slightly chilled.

A: Dark amber, clear, slightly effervescent. Thick, retained head.

S: Smoke! (Duh.) Malty, bready. This is my first rauchbier, so I'm having trouble identifying the more subtle scents.

T: More smoke, some caramel, slight sweetness. Initial aggressiveness on the palate (the smokiness being the main culprit), light through the middle, dry and slightly bitter finish.

M: Somewhat light and thin for such a flavor-forward beer. Waterier than I was expecting, some creaminess. Could have a fuller body.

O: A very interesting and unique beer. Much more palatable than anticipated. Successfully fills both roles as a rauchbier and a marzen. Probably not a favorite, but would have again.

2.83/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- Reddish brown appearance almost raison prune like. Slight clearness, head dissipates quickly, little carbonation.
S- Very Smokey, hints of caramel and bacon as well as wood.
T- Very unusual, first smoked beer I've tried. Very Smokey, like eating bacon. Hints of sweetness as well.
M- Medium mouth feel, light carbonation.
O- Overall it was not very enjoyable to drink at least for me. Felt like I was drinking bacon juice.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin off white head.

Smoke is very prominent. You can smell it as soon as you uncap and pour it. Smells of smoked meats, not much else.

Smoke again dominates the flavor. Taste is akin to that of smoked pork salami. Some sweet malt characteristics balance it out better than the nose does, adding a nice bready taste to it. One of the more interesting beers I've had.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium-bodied with average carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. Based on the smell alone, I thought this was going to be much worse, but the smokiness in the flavor, although powerful, is well-balanced with the rest of the flavors.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

This chubby bottle (500ml) came when I was trying something new. I had a rauchbeer once before at a German restaurant in Queens, and I looked forward to trying something new.

I poured the bottle into a pint glass. There was a one finger head.

I could smell the smoke coming from the beer right off the pour. The smell was very strong, but it wasn't unpleasant. I took a sniff shortly after the pour, and I smelled campfire. It reminded me of when I used to go camping. All I could smell was the smoke. Having been warned that this was coming, the smell was not over whelming.

Took a first drink, surprisingly thin body. I expected a little heavier than that, but the thinner body balances out the very strong flavor. The smoke comes through each drink. I also taste pork/bacon in the flavors, which comes from the smoke and other ingredients... at least I hope I didn't just have meat during lent on a Friday.

I liked the beer, and I want to try it again with some German sausage or roast saurbraaten. I just don't want a splinter from all the charred wook making this (just a joke, that isn't possible).

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

On tap at Church Key into a tumbler.

Having had this in the bottle the biggest difference is the appearance and smell. This beer's retention and head staying power is insane. Super sheets of lacing and the head doesn't go anywhere. The head even on tilt sticks to the glass in chunks so much that this beer looks like a freak show.

The smell is intensely more smokey and bacony than from the bottle. But it has all the great qualities (smoke, bacon, jerky, some mild salt) out of the bottle also but a little more dense body.

Overall on tap or in the bottle this beer just delivers in spades. Super drinkable and just meets expectations in feel all around.

1.85/5  rDev -54.2%

I sampled this recently and although it was my first Rauchbier and I try to be respectful to style, etc, I just have to put up a review of this because it struck me so strongly.

A: Pours brown with red hues when held to the light, about an 1.5 inch off-white head that slowly dissipates.

S: Smoke, smoke, and more smoke. Smells exactly like the hickory liquid smoke I use in cooking. I can't distinguish anything from the smoke and wood.

T: Just like the nose, it's liquid smoke on wood. I really don't get any hop flavors and I get just a little brown bread malt. It's like drinking hickory liquid smoke. Seriously.

M: This is easily the best thing about this beer. There's light carbonation and the body is surprisingly viscous for the ABV. It's a pleasant texture.

O: I really tried to give this style and beer a fair chance, but it's just repulsive. Don't get me wrong, I love smoked food and I used liquid smoke a ton, but this is JUST smoke. This is the first beer I nearly spit out upon first contact...

2.72/5  rDev -32.7%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

Poured a clear medium brown with an average sized off-white creamy head that was mostly lasting and had fair lacing. The aroma was of smoked malts a moldy yeast with a heavy note of smoke and meat (Like a smoked ham). It tasted a little acidic that had a mild malt flavor and an intense smokey flavor from start to finish with the flavor lingering on the taste buds for a long while. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and watery yet creamy in texture with a soft carbonation. Overall a very different brew than what I am used to, kind of like drinking liquid smoke. Not all beers are for everyone and this one is definitely not for me!!

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a heavy dark cherry brown and left a tall beige head. The lacing was good while it lasted, thinning to a strip. Absolutely clear against artificial light, minimal rising carbonation

So my first smoked beer and evaluating on the style its aroma absolutely lives up to the name. A strong yet pleasant burnt wood/bread crust odor is immediate, much like a fire just put out with water. After a short wait i can now smell the malt still mixed behind the smokiness. Absolutely nothing on hop side for me.

Much subtler on taste than smell. The smoky flavor is soft and sweet malty character is evident on the swallow, same sweetness I see in dopplebocks. A fair balance. A super slight astringency on the back of tongue, not sure if its hop oil or tannins. The smoke wins in the aftertaste in the back of nose and throat.

Much like a Dopplebock to me its medium body and not carbonated too heavily. A very light palette coating remains half way through the bottle but is not taking away from enjoyment.

Very impressed with my first smoked beer and did not allow personal tastes to shy me away. Not very thirst quenching nor crisp in the least bit but agree that this should be paired with fatty foods, maybe meats but i enjoyed half of it before some crispy chicken artichoke pizza made it all the better. I will buy this again as a treat or to break someone else into smoke beers.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Rauchbier Märzen pours a very dark ruby color that is a weird cross between brown and red. The head is tan and very similar to what you might find on a porter or stout. It has great retention and leaves some sticky gobs of lace.

The aroma is a full on smoke fest. Plenty of smoke cured meat scents mix with some sweet bready malt and a bit of toffee like sweetness. Smoke is definitely the strongest aroma though and there is little else going on.

The flavor is much more beer like with a base that is quite enjoyable with plenty of sweet malty character. It is caramely with some toffee and nice bready notes. This is supposed to be a Marzen style smoked beer and I can definitely appreciate that in the flavor. Along with all of the malty Marzen goodness is a definite smoked character that, similar to the aroma, is more smoked meats than campfire. I have to say that after smelling this I was worried about how smoky the taste would be, but they seem to have not gone too overboard.

The mouthfeel is medium with a very nice amount of carbonation. It is both smooth and lively in the mouth and the finish is slightly sweet with more of that smoked meat goodness from the aroma.

This is a surprisingly drinkable beer that may be a bit of an acquired taste. I think it would be best paired with some smoked meats (turkey butts or something) and you could maybe even make it a night with some rice and things.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Single finger head that quickly dissolves into a thin skim coat. Rich dark mahogany with the occasional red highlight. Hefty and thick appearance.

Smell - As expected, strongly smoky and malty. Like smelling good barbecue with a hint of caramel.

Taste - Initially a surprisingly subtle smoke flavor and light malty bitterness. The smoke intensifies after swallowing. The smoke is not overpowering and comes through more in the smell than the taste.

Mouthfeel - The unexpected again. Surprisingly, light on the tongue for a beer with not much carbonation.

Drinkability - Much greater than expected. This beer excels because it does not beat you over the head with its smoke. The smoke is a strong highlight but not necessarily the only thing going on with this beer. Despite its relatively-low 5.4% APV it is not an easily drinkable beer on its own. This beer calls out to be paired with food and I felt it would be difficult to get through an entire beer without food to cut some of the smoke and act as a counterpoint. That being said it is magnificently drinkable beer with food.

Pairings - I don't see this beer working with smoked foods. I see this beer shining when paired with hearty food that would provide a contrast to the beechwood smoke. Try - mac 'n' cheese; beef stew; grilled steak; Cobb Salad; pasta carbonara. A sharp cheddar is the perfect accompaniment.

I expected a 2 x 4 of smoke to the head but what this beer gave me was more subtle, clean and light than expected. Sometimes less is more.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

17oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Deep brown with ruby highlights, brilliant clarity, moderately large light tan head with good retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Layered nuanced smoke aromas-firewood, meaty (bacon), sweet adobe chiles, and some toasted, bready malts. No hops.

Flavor-Somewhat sweet toasted, bready malt flavors are overtaken by a smooth, complex smoke flavor, which is pleasant, but not overwhelming. Smoky, charred wood and charcoal flavors carry long into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, moderate, carbonation, smooth.

This is a fantastically crafted smoke beer. Pretty tasty on its own, but it pairs phenomenally with so many foods-a great beer to have on hand at all times.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Deep mahogany brown with a thin bubbled head.

S: A deep rich woody smokiness. The smell is reminiscent of oak grilled meats. The malty backbone is barely noticeable.

T: The Smokey meats perceived in the smell doesn't translate as well in the flavor which isn't a bad thing. The beer is extremely well balanced with the smokiness and nutty brown malts.

M/D: The mouth feel is a bit watery although nice and coating. No alcohol flavor with a nice mixture of sweet and smoky bitterness. The smoke intermingles perfectly with the light bittering hops and sweet base. This is the best smoked beer I've tried so far. The smoke flavors don't muddle the beer and instead refine it to a nicely balanced sweet and smoky experience.

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

This is my first review, and also my first taste of this style beer, so take it with a grain of salt. Poured from a bottle into a 1 pint beer stein.

Very dark mahogany-brown color with a thick yellow/tan head. The head hangs around for maybe three minutes before receding and leaving some decent lacing.

The smell is strong and smokey. It actually smells like some kind of smoked cheese, which is offputting at first, but it grows on me.

It has a very strong smokey/chickory flavor which is almost too much at first, but it mellows. The aftertaste is slightly sweet and malty and is very nice.

Just the right amount of carbonation, not too blatant but gives it a nice little sharpness. It's got a nice smooth texture which is almost buttery, but I know that's not quite the right word.

Fairly easygoing and drinkable with a low ABV at 5.1%, although the beer is not something I would pick for a session. I would drink this again, and would be curious to see how it pairs with food.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, this will be my very first review, so bear with me.

1 pint 0.9 fl oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, ruby body with a nice two fingered tan head. Bits of lace cling to the glass with each sip.

Smell: Beef jerky and hints of blue diamond smoked almonds.

Taste: Smokey, caramel with a slightly bitter finish. I'm reminded of a smokey Guinness Extra Stout.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy with a bite at the end.

I was supprised at how good this beer tasted. Not only was this my first BA review, this was my first Rauchbier and I'll admit to being a bit intimidated by the "smokebeer" label. The smokey characteristics are quite subtle, and lend themselves to a fine brew.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

The Rauchbier style is one of my favorites and Schlenkerla defines it. The style seemingly complies with the Reinheitsgebot, but through its unique manufacturing process it adds another level of complexity.

An off-white two finger head sits atop a dark brown/red body. The head retention is excellent, subsiding to a bubbly ring that plays around the inside of the glass for the whole experience.

The smell is, you guessed it, smoky. It reminds me of how a jacket would smell after a camping trip, or a roasted Bavarian ham hock (Schweinshaxe).

The taste starts out slightly acidic. Soon after it punches you with smoke, then a grainy/husky malt. Bittering hops punctuate this beer quite nicely. A mellow smokiness and citrusy hops aftertaste to leave you wanting more... forever.

The mouthfeel is superior. It's creamy without being overly carbonated.

Given the circumstances, I would happily drink a boatload.

4.34/5  rDev +7.4%

1 pint, 9 oz poured into Pint glass

A: Pours a very healthy tan head with heavy lacing.

S: Smell of bacon, smoked wood, light marzen yeast aromas.

T: Taste of smokey light marzen. Taste starts off with Alder smoke, bacon, and a light malt presence that is quickly overtaken with smoke assaulting your tastebuds.

M: There is a light mouthfeel with heavy carbonation. Slightly watery in flavor, which is due the style. This is a slightly refreshing beer even with smoke in the flavor which is odd to say the least, but very enjoyable.

D: Highly drinkable. I presume your tastebuds slowly acclimate to the smokiness and after one of these, the next would become more highly drinkable.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

A: Light brown, clear, slight head.

S: Heavenly...to me! Obviously a smoky filled juggernaut.

T: The first few sips have the smoky, malty notes...I feel like I'm consuming some juicy bacon! Then afterward, the beer settles in nicely with the same richness.

M: Moderate body and carbonation.

D: One of my favorite beers probably because the smokiness aromas and flavors drive me crazy. Overall, the beer makes my mouth water and then settles in quite nicely and pairs well with cheese such as gouda.

3.84/5  rDev -5%

M-Pours a dark red amber brown, nice carbonation leave a small head that fades to lacing and sits nicely on top for a while. Translucent
S- smoky wood, oaky, wood oven pizza smoke. There is little bit of malt but this is all about the smoke
T- you can taste the malts upfront a little more tha the smell let's on but Stijl, smoke, barbecue
M- nice carbination, light body with a smooth finish

This is a good beer, great with wings, smokiness is almost overwhelming. Tasty treat but not an every day drinker

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a thin beige head, over a clear reddish brown black body. Aroma is primarily smoke, with a bit of grilled meat, and sweet malts. Taste initially is toffee, then balanced by smoke and then mild hop bitterness Mouthfeel is relatively light, carbonation low. Smoked beers are interestingly different from each other. This one is a campfire in a glass. Can't stay this is my style of beer.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Very nice fully translucent brown color. Nice, big beige head with good retention and good lacing.

S: Obviously smoke is the main ingredient here. Really like wood smoke. Some light caramel malts and brown sugar. Toasted multi grain bread. Almonds are present with cashews. A little bit mineral and some herbal hops.

T: Well, this is not as smoky as what I expected, and I'm glad of it. There is a solid sweet and lightly burnt malt foundation giving off smells of caramel, molasses and toasted bread. Still quite nutty with the almonds and cashews. Mineral water fit the style pretty well. Light herbal hops at the end as expected.

M: medium feel with medium carbonation. Very creamy on the palate. What you'd expect.

D: Very easy to drink. Could go very well with barbecue food.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: pours a drak brown color with a 2" off-white colored head. Some mild lace develops.

Smell: loads of smokey goodness and caramel are pleasant on the nose.

Taste: caramel, some ripe dark fruits, and a moderate and well balanced smokey flavor. Bitterness is moderate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness arriving late.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable beer that goes perfectly with BBQ. Easy to quaff this beer.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla