Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,027 | Hads: 2,033
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark, clear, coppery color, the perfect hue for a marzen, with abundant foam atop, creamy, and leaving lace. Beautiful looking glass of beer.
Aroma: bacon. Big malt, sweetness, but mostly smoke, cured ham, smoked salmon, memories of meat.
This continues into the taste, and joins the palate most pleasantly. Crowds the mouth with sensation. Juicy malt, a fine marzen lies underneath, and is treated well with the smoking.
Much milder than other rauchbiers, the smoke playing gently, it's at the fore, but never too much.
Medium bodied, but fully flavored, with a mild, malty finish. Tasty.
A remarkable experience, and unforgettable beer. (644 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

I told everyone that I would give these beers another chance, figure out what's great about them and re-review them accordingly so here it begins. Available on draft at a local beer bar, I had to try it again, even though I have nothing but horrible bad memories of this beer, lets do it again.

Beer is dark brown, but still see through, minimal head, tiny bubbles, sticks close to glass, some lacing on the glass.

This beer smells like bacon, hickory, salt, smoke, smoke, smoke.

This beer tastes like salted and smoked pork. It is relatively smooth, not as bad as I recalled. Medium body, drinkability average, I still don't think I could get through a whole lot of this.

So this is probably the best rauch I've ever had and I may be coming around on this style and these beers because I finished it and I understood it. I still didn't rank it as high as most but I think I'm beginning to understand the general appeal. (925 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours deep reddish amber with a thick off-white head. Lacing sticks to the glass.

A strong smokiness, like smoked pork is the first obvious aroma. A hint of caramel sweetness lies underneath.

The taste is very smoky. Smoked, lightly salted, pork with a woody touch, remains firm throughout the drink. It mixes with sweet caramel. Just enough earthy hops keep it in balance. It finishes clean, and the smokiness lasts in a long aftertaste.

It's very smooth. Medium-bodied. Has a nice texture to it.

This is a great accompaniment to a smoked sausage or other meats. A nice fall barbecue beer. I've had it alone, and it's good for what it is - can be a bit much, but to complement the right food, it's very good. (721 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

500 ml bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours fairly clear medium reddish brown color with a dense 2 finger cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Dense spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of huge smoked wood, caramel, brown sugar, toast, bacon, ham, light roasted malt, brown bread, and smoked earthiness. Fantastic aromas with very prominent smoke character; with great balance and complexity of malt and smoke notes. Taste of smoked wood, caramel, brown sugar, toast, ham, brown bread, bacon, floral, light roasted malt, light clove, and smoked earthiness. Lingering notes of smoked wood, ham, caramel, brown sugar, toast, light roasted malt, brown bread, and smoke earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of malt and smoked flavors; with nice robustness and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent Rauchbier style! Great balance and complexity of smoke and malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A highly enjoyable offering. (1,269 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%

Note at the outset that, as a whole, rauch beers are not my favorites and that they too often seem to me to have too much smoke flavor. This particular version is certainly above average and great looking, but does border on too much smoke flavor. In this case, my objection is more the masking of the other flavors rather than the sheer quantity of smokiness.

The clear brown body has a lasting tan head that leaves exceptional lacing. As suggested above, the aroma is very smokey; ominously so IMO. [Fortuantely, there is proportionately less smoke in the flavor and some malt and light spice shows. Still, the primary impression is more similar to smoked meat than to a 'typical' lager. [3.75]

M: medium body; Medium+ carbonation.
O: nice, Bamberg style brew. (766 characters)

4.06/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours an opaque yet still clear very dark brownish amber in color with light to moderate amounts of fine active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and a moderate amount of cola brown and garnet highlights. The beer has a half finger tall foamy light beige head that reduces to a large patch of thick film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of smoked malts, specifically a smoke that is similar to what I would expect when smoking sausages or bacon.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of roasted and caramel malts with a moderate to strong flavor of smoked malts. Light notes of leather and just a hint of iodine flavors from the smoking of the malts. Light bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Very smooth.

O: Very interesting smoke aromas and flavors in this beer without being overwhelming. Very enjoyable, especially for someone that enjoys smoke and pretty easy to drink. Pairs well with smoked sausages. (1,084 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It smells like beef jerky. I can't get enough of these beers! The taste is great as well. It has a deep, smokey flavor that's laid over pale and crystal malts. It goes down smooth with a dry lager yeast finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. I love the aroma and taste. I wish this style was more available; a good drinker. (518 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours a hazy reddish brown color with a tan head. The aroma is very smokey with some meaty notes. I also get a little dark fruit in the aroma. The flavor is smoke, roasted malt, chocolate, dark fruit and ash. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This beer was similar to the Urbock, but I feel this one was a little less smoky, but also more complex in the flavor department. (388 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a very dark amber with 2 finger head of barely off-white foam. Leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. As soon as you crack this beast open you know you are dealing with something a little different. You don't even have to breath through your nose and you can easily pick up on the smokiness in the nose. I can't fight my way through it, all I smell is delicious smokey... nay very smokey bacon. Taking a sip, I am immediately thinking of a delicous roast beef dinner with gravy. What the hell is this, dinner in a bottle? Finish is a little bitter but the smoke remains in your mouth long after you have taken a sip. Another noticable feature is a bit of a metallic taste. The bottle is labled as a marzen but you could easily lie to me and tell me it is something else. I guess if you took away the smokey flavor it might taste like a marzen but I am too caught up in the beefy taste to tell what it is. About all this beer has to offer that is like a marzen is the color, and even that looks like it has been set on fire and burnt a little. (1,052 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer appears a mahogany brown hue with crimson highlights. The head is about an inch thick and leaves some good lacing on the glass.

S: The beer smells like a campfire, similar to an Islay scotch, but not nearly as boozy, of course. Scents include smoke, malt, peat, earth.

T: The flavor is fantastic, with a prominent smoke taste that is right on the money. Well balanced and delicious.

M: The feel is fairly thin bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

D: This brewery sets the bar for rauchbiers. When I have a hankering for a rauchbier, Schlenkerla brews are the first thing that comes to mind. (613 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It was Veterans' Day 2013 and my buddy, Justin Chlan had off due to working for a DoD contractor and knew that I take the day off because I feel that I should have it off as a USN veteran. He invited me along on an excursion to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD where I came across this in a 5L mini-keg, or CAN, according to this site, since it is not pressurized. A CAN?!? I was really excited, even when they told me its cost. I put it in my basement, inverted, per the directions on the side and yesterday, SU, 15 March 2015, I brought it over to The Fridge for another of Bro. Woody's Pop-Up B&G episodes.

From the CAN: "Brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law"; ""; "Brauhaus for Schlenkerla with Dominifanerflaue [sic?] <1310>"; "During transport and storage, please this side up. (Turn for tapping)"; "For optimal pouring please tap at 40F."; "Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer Specialty since 1678"; "Aecht Original Schenkerla Maerzen Smokebeer, considered the classic example in its category, has been brewed for centuries in the baroque town of Bamberg in Franconia (Bavaria/Germany). Following the most ancient malting traditions, all its select barley malts are kilned over a fire of beech wood logs at the Schlenkerla maltings. Brewed in classic copper vessels and matured for months in historic cellars, Aecht Schlenkerla is a truly unique smoky beer experience."

Once I had it vented and the tap pulled out and ready to engage, I tried to hold the glasses three-to-four inches away to try and create some head. We were seeing about a finger of soapy, light-tan head that pretty quickly fell to wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with a dense cloudiness that made it look like a cup of mess decks mud (coffee). Clarity? None. Zero. Zilch. Nose had a sweet, smoky scent like cured bacon or sweet Lebanon bologna, if that means anything to people outside of my hometown area in central PA. Mouthfeel was surprisingly light, given the turbidity that was visible. Light as in medium, but not what I was expecting. As to the taste, it was smoky, but not as smoky as their Ur-Bock or some other famous commercial examples, like Alaskan Smoked Porter. It was really kind of cool to go around and turn people onto this style and get their reactions. Most people were pleasantly surprised and wanted to try other iterations of either Aecht Shlenkerla's Rauchbiers or other rauchbiers in general. The finish had a smoky sweetness that was very evocative of sweet Lebanon bologna, which if you have never tried it, you should because it is hard to explain otherwise. I am glad that I CAN add it to The CANQuest (tm), but I prefer a bit more smokiness, thank you. (2,689 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A very dark beer for a Marzen, a dark amber in color. This one is quite dry tasting, with a very pronounced smokiness to it. The dryness seems to accentuate and focus your tastebuds upon the smoke flavor. This beer has quite a good amount of Body, a certain fullness that comes through even though it is quite dry tasting. There is not much in the way of hop flavor, which is good, as it allows the subdued malt and, of course, the smoke to come through. (454 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: pours a drak brown color with a 2" off-white colored head. Some mild lace develops.

Smell: loads of smokey goodness and caramel are pleasant on the nose.

Taste: caramel, some ripe dark fruits, and a moderate and well balanced smokey flavor. Bitterness is moderate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness arriving late.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable beer that goes perfectly with BBQ. Easy to quaff this beer. (461 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

500 mL bottle,

A: Pours a dark red almost black looking, with a full white head, great retention and good lacing. Seen this beer out of the olde wooden cask too, looks phenomenal.

S: Smoke, maple syrup and bacon.

T: Munich malt, very much marzen like of course with is the main backbone, has some sweetness. Smoke is prominent, but not as over the top as I remember when I first had it, perhaps it was just so new back then. Smoky tasty lager, not much more to say, quite good.

M: Not as robust maybe as I would like, could make the beer extraordinary, medium-bodied, smoky aftertaste, you'll taste the beer for a long time.

D: The classic of the style and the beer to have if you want to now what rauchbier is all about. A throwback to the early lagers and one of the most traditional flavours you're going to get. (820 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 ouncer, poured a rich shade of almond, tan head, clear, malty smokey nose, taste here obviously is smokey. Basically tastes like a smoke house. Interesting, complex stuff, I doubt this brew is for everybody, but as I like smoked food, smoking foods and BBQ in general, I enjoy this stuff. I doubt I'd enjoy more then one or two. (333 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Popped into a local pub last night because they were having a two week Octoberfest type thing: pleased I did because there were bottles of this for £3.20.

Sadly they didn't have any of the correct glasses or steins, so I poured it into a Beck's Vier glass which actually suited it well. It showed off the body and head nicely and allowed the smoky aromas to waft out.

Really is an acquired taste and my wife hates this beer (we've been to Bamberg a few times). I am not a smoked bacon guy, nor do I smoke or eat much smoked ham or cheeses, but I do like this beer. (567 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Found this in a little store in Denver, not sure if I've ever seen it before. 1pt 6oz bottle.
Pours a very dark brown, just shy of black. Medium to small brown head, looks a bit thin when compared with the body. Used a Duvel snifter glass, wasn't sure which glass to use with a smoked beer.
Smell is amazing. A huge jerky smell, yet not so dry. That's really about it. Maybe some raisin.
Taste is liquid jerky, a bit of alcohol. Chewy, yet smooth. Is not as thick as it looks or smells. Drank very well. Good for pairing with grilled meats, I'd imagine (555 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14%

On tap at Church Key into a tumbler.

Having had this in the bottle the biggest difference is the appearance and smell. This beer's retention and head staying power is insane. Super sheets of lacing and the head doesn't go anywhere. The head even on tilt sticks to the glass in chunks so much that this beer looks like a freak show.

The smell is intensely more smokey and bacony than from the bottle. But it has all the great qualities (smoke, bacon, jerky, some mild salt) out of the bottle also but a little more dense body.

Overall on tap or in the bottle this beer just delivers in spades. Super drinkable and just meets expectations in feel all around. (659 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen

Poured from a 500 ml bottle. A dark brown brew with a sizable head and some lace sticking to the glass. Aroma of most delicious bbq meat and smoke, obviously from the beechwood smoked malts. A lush caramel underbody is a great palate for the smoke to dance on. Malty, roasty, smokey, fantastic. Kind of tastes like how a dying fire smells. There is a subtle malt sweetness that works with the smoke. Malt comes off roasted, a seperate flavor from the smoke. Hops are lightly bitter, but barely percievable until the finish. There is a lingering smoked meat flavor that sticks with you as it sticks to the beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonation is about right, moderate. Overall, a great Rauch, epitomizes the style. Went well with grilled steak quesadillas and smoked poblano salsa. (825 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

I had a big feast earlier tonight which includes 'lil smokies and bacon from a local German deli. There's a faint juicy smoke flavor on my tongue as I prepare myself for a match with this famous rauchbier. Well, on to it:

The whole bottle has filled my stange glass. A ruby brown color, hues of orange a the edges. Maybe it's more of a cola-brown. Good white head on top, solid retention. Smell: it's bacon! and...sausages! There's even a hint of chocolate underneath it, but compliments the smoke flavor well. My mouth is watering and I think my new kitten wants some.

Not even close to the intensity of the urbock, but certainly more easier going down. Perfumy smoked bacon flavor mostly, there is some marzen-like sweetness which goes with the smoke. Unsweetened chocolate emergres. I liked the taste before, but now I'm liking it more.

Who needs coffee stouts for breakfast when you can drink this instead? Or have this with a coffee stout for breakfast without having any food? Downright yummy....now I want more 'lil smokies and German deli bacon. (1,057 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Had a half-liter bottle with my burger at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. I remembered this beer being super-smokey, and I was not mistaken. It's not like most American smoke beers, however, that drink like liquid bacon (not that that's a bad thing). This flavor is rich with smoked wood flavor more in line with what you get in home-made jerkey - it's a big, but smooth roasted taste that reminds you of a fireplace. The malt provide sweet, crust and caramel background, but mostly just props up the smoked beechwood. The body, despite the strong flavor, is very drinkable. Overall, this is a classic rauchbier. (609 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

I've always really liked the beer from this brewery, and I think they set the standards for Rauchbier for everyone else. These beers are international treasures and should be appreciated for what they are. Pours a slightly reddish dark brown with a very loosely beaded head that fades to a ring. Absolutely scrumptious aroma of ethereal woodsmoke and tangy malt. The taste has plenty of that same woodsmoke as well as a slightly sour graininess and a long bitter, almost tannic finish. At mid taste the malts are smooth and creamy. Quite lovely, and very firm. Great by itself, but a wonderful food beer. Try it with somke roast pork and potatos or with some sharp cheddar cheese. (680 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a very dar brown with white head. Aroma of roasted malts but dmoinated by a smokey charcoal bbq scent. This beer has a very complex taste that is dominated by a smoked charcoal taste. Burnt malt accompanied by hickory bbq. Very unique and original but not for everyone. (275 characters)

Pours a clear dark brown with ruby highlights and a creamy beige head that recedes to a cap but sticks around forever. Smells like a brisket that's been smoking away for 14 hours. Well actually it smells more like the smoke than the brisket. I strain and maybe think I find some caramel or toffee underneath, but the smoke is powerful and hides anything else that is in there. I now understand why some people say smoked smells like bacon. The taste is rich malty and creamy with a heavy hand of smoke. There are some sweet malts in there; caramel, toffee, and maybe some brown sugar in the taste. Lightly carbonated, medium body. I would have to say this must be an acquired taste. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I can't imagine myself enjoying many of these. I think its very well done, but not for me. (813 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Nice dark amber/ruby colour, slightly cloudy with nice languous fine-bubbled carbonation. Excellent body, and a firm head of light brown foam. Superb lacing. A wonderful looking beer.

Amazing, overpowering smell of woodsmoke - reminds me of camping out in the forest. It almost dominates everything, but there is, hidden in there, a slight spiciness, like rum-soaked raisins or Christmas pudding. Pretty intense.

There is smokiness on the palate too, but it's tempered by a very welcome roasted bitterness. This, with the scent of smoke still spiralling around my sinuses, almost throws me into sensory overload. Mouthfeel is quite light, but much more would have been overkill. Lots of subtle complexity to explore behind the brash, overzealous smoked character. The beer is the more drinkable for this complexity.

A powerful beer, not something for everybody, but something that's worth seeking out. I will definitely be drinking this again. (946 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla