Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,032 | Hads: 2,049
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Dark brown-black clear lager with a white bubbly head on top. Smells very smoky, but with the familiar sweet and clean german malt coming through, no hop odor in the smell (perhaps I couldn't smell it due to the smoke). Smooth, clean, and malty taste, with an unstoppable smoked character throughout. Looking past this, I taste a well crafted, and very clean German Lager. Very quaffable with some good old bbq spare ribs and pulled pork, it practically drank itself. (467 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

I studied in Bamberg, Germany for a year and this was by far the best and most distinct beer to come out of that famous brewing town. Many brews in Europe and abroad have tried to replicate this recipe, but it's quite exceptional. The color is mostly brown with some reddish-brown elements and a rather large head. The smell is immediately the first thing to truly reach your senses and smells like bacon or pork. It goes down smooth and has exceptional taste, but beware it definitely leaves a strong reminder in your mouth long after consumption. I highly recommend drinking this beer with a traditional German pork dish, such as Schweinebraten, Wuerstchen or Haxe. The beer can also be used to flavor foods when cooking. This beer is truly one of a kind. (757 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours pretty dark, good amount of head. Smells malty and pretty smoky. Tasting it tastes like a bonfire in my mouth, its very smokey no joke. Not bad either but its kind of boring its just a TON of smoke with some malts and it feels like it could use some other kick. Otherwise glad I bought this beer. (302 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Hold the bacon with my eggs, I'll have a Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen!!!

Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights and a thick tan head that leaves nice lacing.

Aromas of a Slim Jim over campfire with background hints of berries.

Taste has a frontal assault of smokiness, but has a lot of nice subtle notes, including sweet caramel, berry sweet and light malts. Campfire smokiness lingers and lingers...

Mouthfeel is medium with nice carbonation, with a dry finish.

This is a situational brew to the tee! Very nice if you are ready for it but I could see a terrible review if you popped this at the wrong time. The immense smokiness in the nose and flavor leaves this as a situational brew at best.

This one needs a second review! (742 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

This is an unbelievable beer experience. I thought this would taste like smoked salami or jerky but this is in a category of its own. Wow! A must try. It is a must to serve at cellar temp 40 degrees to 45. (208 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Dark brown, deep red and clear when held up to light, poured with a thick foamy head that receded to a thick layer of sticky head, leaving substantial lace.

S: Smoke. Sweet, but definite smoked-meat type smoke. Some peat. Very appealing to me as a BBQ lover.

T: Smooth and gentle, sweet subtle smokiness. Don't get me wrong, this beer has a substantial amount of smoke, but it is not overpowering at all, very pleasant and appealing. The smokiness hits first and sustains, but there is a great caramel malt flavor that joins in the middle to balance out the bitter smoky flavors. Awesome.

M: Very smooth, carbonation perfect, medium/thick bodied, excellent.

D: I can't wait to have a few of these with ribs or pulled pork. I wouldn't want more than a few, but hard to stop once you start. (795 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark reddish brown with a thin off white head.

Smoke is very prominent. You can smell it as soon as you uncap and pour it. Smells of smoked meats, not much else.

Smoke again dominates the flavor. Taste is akin to that of smoked pork salami. Some sweet malt characteristics balance it out better than the nose does, adding a nice bready taste to it. One of the more interesting beers I've had.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium-bodied with average carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. Based on the smell alone, I thought this was going to be much worse, but the smokiness in the flavor, although powerful, is well-balanced with the rest of the flavors. (704 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

Consumed 11 April 2011.

Reddish brown body with an off-white whippy head. Extremely uniform bubbles that remind me of a fly eye. Lacing looks like a more interesting cross-section of the Earth. That sounds like a 5...

Hammy aroma, super smoky, cured meats. A touch metallic.

Taste is of wrinkly cured meats, dry sausage, again mildly metallic. The smoky meatiness is soon softened. Bummer. With that, a little bit of raisin, chocolate, caramel, and seltzer water become evident.

Watery body, carbonation is vital to keep it from boring [me]. Slightly dry and fleeting. Taste barely lingers.

Light, but unique. A greater concentration of flavors would improve this for me. The wateriness was disappointing.  (720 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Best before date of 05/2013, beer description on the back in German. I wonder how long of a shelf life they give this beer?
ABV: 5.1%

Deep red, almost black, but when held up to a light it's a perfectly transparent copper. The head holds up well and leaves a solid thick lacing on the way down.

An intoxicating sweet smoky woody aroma. A little dark malt in there too. My first time tasting this I was reminded only of my parents' old fireplace the morning after a fire.

The taste follows the aroma, at least at first. The sweet wood and smoke dominate upfront and then diminish, leaving a drier beer than expected. It has a nice flavor of some darker malts after the smoke, similar to a chocolate or carafa. The dry finish keeps you coming back for more; each seidla is better than the last.

Lightly carbonated.

The archetypal smoke beer from a fantastic brewery.

Drink it fresh. (890 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Dark amber/ruby, clear, slightly with a beautiful 3 finger head that really sticks

S: Smoked ham is most dominant but i also get other smoked meats like bacon. There is some nice bready malts also in the mix but the aroma is mostly smoked ham

T: Delicious smoked ham and pork. Some caramel, but mostly smoked ham.

M: Medium viscosity with some creaminess

D: One of these is all you need. Too intense for more

O: Probably my favorite from the brewery. (458 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

First had this 11 years ago, back when I thought Heineken was a craft beer. Didn't like it then, thought it was a slim Jim in a bottle.

Poured into a British pint glass, nice head that lasted for a while.

Smell: Smokey, spicy and meaty. Might even have a little peat as well.

Taste: Had a nice smokey essence, but not overpowering like you might think it would. Had a slight malty sweetness and also a slight hoppy bitterness at the end.

My palate has definitely changed over the years, because I really enjoyed this beer. (526 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -13.3%

My first rauchbier. Poured it into a rather wide hefeweizen glass.
A - Deep brown color. Short tan head, don't think I poured this correctly.
S - smokey aged meat. Like beef jerky.
T - Tastes smokey... I even coughed a little after drinking it haha. Well it's more meaty in the smell than the flavor. The malts are well smokey and the hops provide a slight tingly finish.
M - Feels thin in comparison to its flavor and smell.
D - Goes down fairly well... Damn I wish I had some bbq with this. Certainly an experience.

Edit: had to lower my drinkability score; on a more opinionated note I found it harder to drink this as it warmed and the flavors intensified, just a bit too intense for me and not sessionable, turned into a sipper... however, again because this is such an interesting style and more likely a great interpretation of it, it is a decent brew, just not something I would look too hard for, but if I was at a bbq this would be a nice surprise to accompany some well cooked meats... (997 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear copper color. Small head that fades quickly.
The smell of this beer is absolutely exquisite. Like Barbie Q ribs over a camp fire. Sure, Camp Leader S. Johannson might be tutoring Kenny J. With the Lisp out in the woods, but I can't worry about that right now. I'm smelling something wonderful.
Taste is smokey, wonderful, BBQ ribs. Campfire smoke up my nose, and onto my tongue. This beer is lovely.
The mouthfeel is good- smooth and crisp.
I could drink this all night, so long as I was hungry, and in the mood for an exceptionally tasty beer. (576 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

I was very happy to get a hold of this beer. Let's see how this goes.

A- The beer pours a dark caramel brown. There is a very small layer of head with some mild lacing.

S- Wow. I'm not really new to the style but this beer has intense aromas. The first thing I get is smokiness. I'm also getting a faint liquor smell and mild florals scents. Smoky is really an understatement here.

T- The beer tastes much like it smells; like smoke. I'd say it's somewhat like mesquite but not quite the same. It was perhaps a bit overcarbonated. I also get a caramel flavor. The beer actually tasted a bit better as it warmed. I may have served it too cold.

M- The beer has a moderate body and feels great in the mouth. After a while, it can be a drain on your taste buds though.

D- This is the ultimate beer to enjoy with barbeque. As with the style, I think it should be enjoyed sparingly and correctly. Highly recommended. (927 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a unique bottle into a pint, fills the glass well with a one finger head up top that settles, leaving excellent lace. Color is off-black: very dark with hints of red and brown. I don't think I've ever quite smelled a beer like this. To say the roasted quality is coming through in high definition would be an understatement. It smells like charcoal- a true Rauchbier. Subtle hints of lemon come through, but mostly a deep burnt quality. Cool.

Taste follows through with the nose, although there is a rich porter-like quality of mild hops, barley, and molasses. Mouthfeel is excellent. Full, creamy without being cloying, and smooth without being watery. Drinkability is high, although this style might not agree with everyone, and I think about 1 beer will do it for me because of the intensity. For the style, though, this is a very good 'bier.' (862 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Aroma
Nice smokiness in the aroma, as expected. I may be getting more used to rauchbier, but I think this is more muted than I remember the first time I was exposed to it. Also believe there's a light grassy scent from the hops.

Mouthfeel
Medium to higher levels of carbonation, not much presence on the palette with a slight watery feel.

Appearance
Deep mahogany red in an imperial pint glass with a nice initial head with medium large carbonation bubbles which are hanging around and lacing the glass nicely.

Taste
Not sure if b/c of travel but getting some coppery hints in taste. Grassy bitterness in finish in the back of the mouth, smoky flavor lingers. I like this, not as good as Aecht's weizen though.

Drinkability
If used to smoky flavor seems as if 4-5 pints would be easy enough, I'm gradually liking rauchbier more and look forward to more.

Overall
Could be the difference in my preference b/w weizen and marzen (I like weizen beers better and liked it better overall). Good taste and aroma, I'm a bit bothered by the lingering hop grassy taste at the finish. (1,083 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -55.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Saw the bottle in the cooler and had to try it. A good looking bottle has to have good beer in it. Not at all what I had expected. I love Stone Smoked Porter. I figured since this was a German offering it had to be as good if not better. Alas, there are some things the Germans aren't good at. The pour looked real good, deep dark with a light head. The carbonation seemed nice. I'm not a fan of high carbed brews like Saisons. Then came the nose. Wow! I've thrown wet newspapers on a fire that had a better smell. A cross between Kipper snacks and smoked oysters. While I love both of those, that kind of smoke flavor doesn't work here. The taste, the same, that same nauceous smoke is on the tongue now. The mouth was extremely light. I had a hard time with this one so, needless to say, drinkability didn't impress me at all. I've had other smoke brews since, always going at them a little gun shy after this. However, none have been this bad. I'll stick to a Stone from now on. (981 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Brownish red with one finger head, quickly fading. Aroma is malty with overtone of smoked meats. Opens with sweet, caramel maltiness; spicy hops bitterness at the back; smoke on the edges of the aftertaste. Medium body, decent carbonation. Easy to drink. (254 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 500ml bottle. No freshness date.

A - A fantastic cherry red hue with a nice pearl head. Slightly frothy and lacy. Beautiful.

S - I smell a campfire on the beach. A sun sets... the air has a cool breeze... oh! The scent is pungent, but not over bearing. It is quite welcoming to say the least. There is a hint of roasted twig tea, and the mild aroma of something sweet from the malts.

T - A nice slick texture that feels clean and smooth. The smoke flavor opens the sinuses instantly. The smokey flavoring hits you right up front, followed nicely with a mild sweetness that trails behind. I taste a nice maple flavor and balanced with the hops that give it zip. The more I drink this the more I taste some walnut flavor.

M - Smooth, a medium body that is silky, not too carbonated.

D - I will be buying more of this. It was more than a pleasure to drink. This would go very well with a veggie burger grilled on an old coal bbq topped with caramelized onions. (977 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: 1 pint 9oz bottle with a wicked looking font, poured into a mug.

Appearance: Clear, orange/amber with a frothy white head that disippates to a ring of lace.

Aroma: Has the smell of caramel, light chocolate and malt and some light hops, but the highlight is the smoke. It's not as strong as I was expecting. In fact, it blends very nicely with the malt to produce a very nice flavor. It was a bit odd at the very first, but by the end of the first sip, I was ready for more. Has a very nice, smooth mouthfeel.

Notes: At the time of this review, it was my first rauchbier. I didn't know what to expect, but I ended up really enjoying this beer. I'm looking forward to more.

This also paired very nicely with homemade, smoked barbeque ribs. (763 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -67.5%

Oh god...what was I thinking. This is a smokebeer. I don't know I didn't catch that before. I smelled and tasted like bacon. I am not a fan of bacon. The pour was ok. It was a light brown really. However, the hint of smoke or as I call it bacon was just over powering. After my first sip I was tempted to pour it out. However, I stuck it out and was left with the same feeling. It wasn't that good. (398 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark brown with reddish hues, nice head with spotty lacing.

Smells like a barbeque. Barbequed meats, smokey bacon, some sweetness, and a slight metallic edge.

Nice caramel and smoke duo throughout. The smoke increases towards the end. Finish is quite long. Meaty and bacon like as well.

Nice medium body with good carbonation.

Very tasty stuff. Went down real easy. This was my first rauchbier and will definitely not be my last. Pretty well balanced and great drinkability. You gotta try this stuff if you have not already. Yum. (541 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +2%

Watching the Michael Jackson Beer Hunter episode on Germany the other night I immediately became intrigued with smoked beers. The idea was appealing and as it's cooled down a bit here in Tokyo, I thought it was a good time to see if my local specialty shop had one - naturally, they came through!

The appearance is nice - a solid dark color, but slightly transparent.

The smell is what blows you away. I took a quick spin through some of the other reviews and have to agree: a wonderful smoky wood fire smell with hints of bacon. This powerful smell, as others suggest, might not be conducive to drinking more than a couple of these in a sitting.

The taste is good - a bit sweet with hints of that woodsy smell, but definitely not overwhelming.

A very intriguing beer and one I'd like to try again, and/or other examples of this unique style. I think I'll be revisiting this beer as the colder months approach. (915 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Dark brown with a small head which left minimal lacing.

S-Smelled of burnt wood, reminiscent of mesquite barbecue.

T-More smoky barbecue flavor. Like smoked sausage. Aftertaste is pleasant, but due to the strength of the smoke flavor, it's hard to detect nuances in the finish.

M-Average medium body with light carbonation.

D-Not too alcoholic, and very light on the palate. After the first couple, smoke taste stops being so overwhelming and the taste is not quite as enjoyable, but still definitely drinkable. (517 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Looks like your average dark lager, minimal head, nothing too spec....whoa! Yep, definitely smells like the bottle is filled with bacon grease, with some Marzen undertones of course. Definitely tastes smoked, but not in the bacon-grease way that the nose let on, and not as overpowering as I was expecting. It's actually quite a pleasant smokiness, lending a sweetness to the already unique malt character. All of this is built on the solid Marzen base, which is surprisingly bitter on the finish.

As a big fan of dark German-style lagers I found the mouthfeel to be maybe a bit light for my taste. But overall this is a brilliant rauchbier; an enjoyable sipper! (663 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla