2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,566 | Reviews: 963 | Show All Ratings:
Bierfreund

2.1/5  rDev -48%

My wife is German, but from the North. There they have all kinds of local Pilsner, but not specialties like Icebeer or Smoked Beers. So when we found this Franconian specialty, of course the temptation was huge to try this. Other beer connaisseurs warned us, but she could not resist and bought it. Luckily just one single bottle!

Poured darkred-brown into mug, thick off-white head crowning. The smokey aroma is noticeable already.

The first sip hits, full smokey now.

Foam is thick and creamy, but is vanishing fast. After 2 minutes it is completely gone, leaving behind a very thin layer. But there is a lot of lacing.

The taste is so heavily smokey, it is overwhelming any other tastes and aromas.

Mouthfeel is ashtray-y.

Taste is not improving with time.

Bitter aftertaste, but smoke is still overwhelmingly on top. I imagine I drank from an ashtray.

I wonder how this beer would taste if it was blended with something milder?

This reminds me of Tarry Lapsang Souchong, a chinese smoked tea that tastes very similar to this beer. That tea cannot be enjoyed purely, but when blended 20/80 with milder teas from China, India and Ceylon, it becomes a wonderful delicassy.
Now I really wonder how this Franconian beer would perform if it was blended with milder beers, or even sodas.

If I ever get another bottle of this brew, I will definately mix it to try some improvements. It is not enjoyable to drink this pure. You might as well lick an ashtray.

05-08-2008 04:37:37 | More by Bierfreund
julian1117

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Visual Appeal: dark, misty brown with a maroon tinge like sunlight in a dark wood
Smell: wonderful smokiness, like an autumn breeze
Flavour: noticeable malt presence, earthy
Mouthfeel: well-carbonated, but not as strongly as I would like
Drinkability: above average, not overpowering like so many yank brews but not underdone either

Sat on the patio with The Cantankerous for this one and watched the birds playing in the woods behind our house. The smell of the Aecht Schlenkerla was especially pleasing. Surprised by how much I liked this.

09-09-2009 15:06:56 | More by julian1117
MyGoodness

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I liked it but apparently no one else I was with could really appreciate this one. Pours inky black with a tall, white head that lingers. The smell is indeed smokey. It almost seems like the smell is ridiculously strong, since my friend across our small table said he could smell smoke when I poured this brew. In reality, it was malty and smokey, and the taste was much the same. Smoke is the dominant thing here, people. If you somehow came upon this brew and were unaware that this was a large component of the beer, you would completely thrown, I think. To be honest, several hours afterward, I would "taste" the smoke smell in the back of my throat. It has a smooth mouthfeel, but due to the unusual experience with the overwhelming smoke-quality, I'd say it's not an easy beer to drink. I'd order it again, but it absolutely scared my friends off and would not recommend it to people who are not used to strong and/or odd beers.

12-13-2010 05:08:48 | More by MyGoodness
iguenard

Quebec (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

( 38/50, 5.1% alc/vol, Home) Beautiful red with a slight hue of brownish orange at the bottom. Deep and somewhat clouded by suspended sediment. Traces of yeast still in the glass. Head is sticky, brown and laces nicely. No carbonation to be seen though. For a beer that has been sitting in my fridge for a year, it smells awesome. No trace of the dreaded cardboard oxydation. Then again, it smells so powerfully of smoked ham, riverbed rocks, some oak and firewood that even age cannot surely harm it. The flavours of firewood last forever. You drink this and immediately remember those camping nights, the hot rock stoves of scandinavian baths and the warm plates of bavarian ham. Smoked flavours, oak, finesse. The age has served this beer extremely well. Taken down a notch, this smoked beer is actually very easy to drink. Not too complex, but still very nuanced. Cold, somewhat inactive drink. Not too sure about this one as a winter beer. Glides very well and does not linger too long. Apart, of course, of the burnt firewood, ashes on rock texture that lingers forever. Medium to thick ashen body. Mostly lifeless though. As far as rauchbier goes, this aged version of schlenkerla's marzen is impossibly beautiful, fine, nuanced and full of rock-smokey firewood. Not too harsh nor lasting, it dies nicely, and timely due to age. Not meant to be this soft, but I love it even more this way.

05-07-2011 19:46:14 | More by iguenard
Beerbythepool

Missouri

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from bottle into Nonic pint glass.

I could smell smoke and meat as soon as I removed the cap. Probably the strongest nose I have experienced from a beer to date.

Dark mahogany color with a 2 finger head which disapates fairly quickly. Smells like smoked sausage. Very little lacing.

Dries out my tongue right away with smokey taste in the back of my throat. The mouthfeel is very different because of the meat flavor. Makes me want to chew. I also smell alcohol through the smoke.

Not my favorite beer, but fits the style well and will make fans of this style very happy. Don't think you would throw back more than one of these per night though. Fun to try.

08-12-2009 02:00:34 | More by Beerbythepool
lowbrau

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

There was a strong but smooth smoke aroma immediately upon opening the bottle. It has a very pretty reddish brown color, and a thin off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells like bacon on a campfire. Very smooth mouthfeel. The smoky flavor gives way to a buttery, nutty flavor that hangs in your mouth long after finishing the beer. This is the most drinkable rauchbeer I've had, and definitely one of my favorites.

01-19-2008 23:11:02 | More by lowbrau
slammo

4.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A true smoky beer experience as billed. Bacon,sausage and meaty favors come to mind. A mild slight caramel as well. The amber -black hue imparts a final touch of campfire goodness. I really enjoy this style and want to revisit the offerings from Schlenkerla.

01-21-2013 22:54:24 | More by slammo
hollicetales

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

i really enjoyed the aecht schlenkerla rauchbier urboch so i decided to try out the marzen, it poured a nice medium brown with a medium tan foamy head...it wasn't as pungent as the urboch but the camp fire smell was definietly there as was the wonderful tasted of smokey meat...we paired this with a mild white cheddar on a cold night and it was excellent...i could drink it straight...but sip it slowly it's a savoring beer not a chugging beer. Nice balance of flavors just enough hoppinees and malt to balance the smokiness and definitely alot milder than the marzen. Definitely reommend pairing it with a mild to sharp cheddar or perhaps some gouda.

02-09-2004 17:41:53 | More by hollicetales
Reiksguard

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark, brown clear beer with minimal head that dissipates without any lacing.

S: Wonderful malt character intermixing with a smokey-sweet nose.

T: Has a very malt-forward initial taste (from the Marzen) that slowly fades into the smokey flavor that rides out the rest of the taste. Minimal hop flavor. Finished dry with a considerably clean edge. Minimal carbonation with a mid-body feel to it.

O: I am very preferrential to this beer. While Marzens are probably my favorite style, the addition of the Rauch malt to this makes it even better. Smokey, but not over the top. Take the chance - give it a try.

03-05-2009 01:44:49 | More by Reiksguard
Kristing

Sweden

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a tall German beer glass, this beer is opaque black and has a thick white head that retains well. This all makes for a very beautiful drink indeed.

The aroma is full of smokiness, and therefore brings a beechwood fire to mind. There are also some burned notes present.

When it comes to taste, this beer is far less heavy than I had expected, in a good way. There is fair deal of smokiness that goes up to the palate, but there is by no means as much of it as there is in the bouquet. The general taste in the mouth is very mellow like a schwarzbier, and the malty goodness is very present and tasty, with a slight burnt tone in the after taste.

The complex smokiness, the malty sweetness and the, relatively, light lager character creates a wonderful mélange that makes for a very drinkable and moderately complex beer. I imagine that I could easily quaff a couple of pints of this beer, one after another.

11-15-2009 16:30:57 | More by Kristing
Rast

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Warmed by amidst a dark, cold eve late in November.

Back to that smoky German cellar I return, and I will return soon. Pours a deep reddish, a visual foreshadowing of the burning timber herein. Light tan head with superb longevity, casting a storm cloud on the libation beneath. Smell wells up with smoke and victory. Taste is surprisingly light on the onset , with the wave of misty malts striking especially post swallow. My companion for such a short time, though it seems like ages.

Ges. gesch. rauchgeschmack!

11-21-2013 00:40:39 | More by Rast
rtrasr

Arkansas

This is the best German brew ever in my humble opinion. Pours the color of brown sugar, you immediately smell the smoky aroma. Delicious. Mouthful is substantial but not too full. The taste is smoky brown sugar, like a perfectly cured ham. This is my favorite German import, cannot get enough. It is perfection.

01-15-2014 00:23:04 | More by rtrasr
Swettenham_Shire

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up as a recommendation from my local beer store. First time trying a smoked brew.

Advice: take your time and don't drink it cold! The flavors really come out when it's at room temp

Appearance: pours a dark brown with 3 finger head
Smell: musty, reminds me of a stout; the most unexciting part of this beer
Taste: gets better after each sip; aftertaste of campfire/bacon/cigar smoke
Mouthfeel: smoother than expected; the smoky bacon flavor lingered for a few hours
Overall: very good, but not something I will drink often... prefer to share this pint with a friend in the winter months

03-25-2014 15:40:08 | More by Swettenham_Shire
ChicoraBoy

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Deep smoky aroma, like smoked sausage or bologna or other fatty smoked meats. Brown to darkish red in color with small off-white head. Medium carb with medium oily palate. Sweetish start (like a light maerzen) with medium hops character. Sweet smoky fatty finish and after. One of the best smoked beers I've tried (though I haven't tried many yet).

08-05-2003 03:39:19 | More by ChicoraBoy
BAbaracus

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours medium-to-dark brown wtih about 3/4-finger head. Only two apparent smells are dark roasted malt and smoked pork. You may think you don’t want your beer smelling like meat but this one’s kosher, believe me. Thin and watery on the tongue, moderate carbonation - the smoke flavor picks up immediately before you’ve even had a chance to swallow. Tastes almost entirely of smoky, roasted malt - almost no hop presence whatsoever (nor any trace of meat flavoring, thank Whomever). Altogether extremely smoky, but not in a "burnt" sort of way. I could probably drink a number of these in one sitting. Maybe not quite a session beer, but something that I can imagine myself jonesing for in the future.

07-26-2006 01:51:22 | More by BAbaracus
rhollman

Nebraska

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance - Dark red amber

Smell - Wonderful beech wood smoke

Taste - Wonderful smoke flavor

Mouth Feel - Smooth malt mouth feel

Drinkability - Wow - the beech wood smoke is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, the Marzen beer style is too bland for me personally. I guess that is what makes this beer so awesome - wonderful beech wood smoke in a beer style that let's the smoke be the highlight.

12-24-2010 01:42:51 | More by rhollman
chimaylvr

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap in nonic at Track 84

App: reddish brown, two finger foam, almost nitro-like

Smell: amazing aroma of peaty roasted husk, hickory beef jerky, smoked bacon or pulled pork bbq

Taste: smoked meat, subtle hop undertones, caramel malt twang, not too buttery, good balance overall

Mouthfeel: medium carb level, somewhat syrupy malt, not as clean as ales, not bad though

Overall: Though the friend I'm with doesn't like this beer, since his palate cannot wrap itself around this bold style, I really like it. I will admit that I've only tried Sam Adams' version but as a beer, on itself, it holds up very well

08-08-2012 21:29:20 | More by chimaylvr
cocojoe

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

A: dark amber brown color, little head

S: sweet, floral, smokey caramel

T: the smokey notes are much stronger in the aroma than they are in the flavor. Flavor is ver clean, crisp, darker malt qualities. Toasty, nutty, light, refreshing.

M: light body, clean and crisp.

O: very much enjoyed this beer. Truly hit the spot. Sets a high bar for smoked beer. Satisfies a want for a savory quality yet balances itself out with that clean, refreshing quality.

Highly suggest this.

12-23-2012 08:35:10 | More by cocojoe
tvljr

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

16.9 ounce bottle poured into a German pint glass.

A: Dark red color with a deep reddish brown head that remains long after the pour.

S: Deep smoky aroma that's almost overpowering but alerts the senses that you're about to drink something special.

T: Full-bodied German beer. Smoother than you'd expect after witnessing the dark color and powerful aroma.

M: Medium body with low carbonation. One of my favorite combinations.

One of a kind beer that is well worth the high price. Makes me remember why I so enjoyed living in Germany for four years.

08-30-2009 02:26:11 | More by tvljr
TWHartman

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Dark deep red with a not-quite tan head, nice and thick with good retention. Beautiful beer.

S- Smells like smoked meat, like a spiced ham. Faint malt in background. Fantastic.

T- Very smooth, spicy smoke flavor, not at all overwhelming. An almost salty finish, makes me want to make another gulp. Malt roast flavor in the finish as well.

M- Nice dry finish makes this very drinkable despite the full flavor

O- This is the best smoke beer I have ever had, it defines the style for a reason. Most smoke beers I drink are way too heavy handed, this is subtle, balanced and delicious.

06-06-2013 03:34:05 | More by TWHartman
Archimetez

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Clear dark brown with a white head, mild lacing on edge of glass

S: Smoke hickory ham almost bacon. Phenomenal

T: Campfire smoke taste that cannot be denied that finishes with a hint of caramel malt

M: Smooth clean and lingers.

O: Granted this is my first Rauchbier, but this beer is great. Great change up from the normal and the smoked pork flavor is phenomenal !

12-08-2013 01:46:44 | More by Archimetez
cedricwarner

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

This is one of the beers that completely changed my perceptions about what a beer could be. My brother takes a few of these with sandwiches when he goes ice fishing in Fargo. A deep dark appearance with a rich thick mouth feel are nice, but the flavor is really incredible. Rich smoke, like that found in smoked Gouda cheese overwhelms the palate (in a good way). A tasty meal in a bottle. I've found that the Marzen goes best with the smoked flavor out of the three Aecht Schenkerlas.

04-02-2004 16:37:44 | More by cedricwarner
Lars3

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Rauchbiers are one of my favorite styles so I may be biased with my scoring of this beer, but I love this beer.

The smell greats you as soon as you open the bottle. It is smokey, without being smoke like. It is more akin to smoked salmon or meats than sitting next to a bonfire. If you keep your face planted in the beer the whole time you'll loose the scent, but step away for a minute or two and it greets you all over again.

The flavor is what keeps me coming back. There is no style of beer that goes as well with spicy food as a Rauchbier. Be it Indian, Buffalo Wings, Thai or BBQ, the combo of spice and smoke is only natural. I would caution you to not eat something too spicy, you'll lose the flavor of the beer.

50cL bottle into a half maß.

06-27-2009 00:57:34 | More by Lars3
Samichlaus

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

1pt poured into stein.

A: Pours a clear honey brown with a thick two finger tan head.

S: Hickory and maple smoke. A touch of mint. Grassy, spicy hops.

T: Malty sweetness. Smoky jerky like taste. Bready. Grassy hop bitterness.

M: Smooth crisp and clean with a light body and mild carbonation.

D: Good drinkability if you can handle the strong smokey smell and flavor.

01-03-2010 02:29:33 | More by Samichlaus
BayerischBier

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

I had it at the brewery as on-tap, had in Finland, and in the States as bottles.

In short, think of liquid smoked bacon!
Or you would experience a smoke chamber/ cold campfire on your taste buds.

The smoke smell is just slighty and gives away that something new to your taste will happen. Freshly tap'ed the smoke strikes much better than in the bottle but it is dominant in the background.

Touch of maltiness is on top of the dark smoked beer.

Schlenkerla is a beer for food!
Real german leverwurst, or smoked bacon, fresh dark bread (wodden fire), or simply a bretzel and butter.

The on-tap experience is worth to travel to Bamberg!

04-04-2010 16:10:00 | More by BayerischBier