Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
alkemy

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Dark copper/brown color with ruby highlighting. Pretty thin light tan head, but it does have some staying power. Lots of smokiness in the aroma. Reminded me of a strong smoked cheese and smoked salmon. Smoke dominates the flavor as well. Has some bitterness in the finish, but I'm really having trouble discerning much beyond the smokiness. This stuff is super smooth and goes down very easy. I wish I'd have drank this with my philly sandwich I had for lunch. I'm generally not much for beer with food, but I think this would be perfect with the right meal.

03-22-2010 23:06:37 | More by alkemy

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

07-21-2012 11:27:35 | More by GoGators
Ozzylizard

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

no date bottle, cellar temp, into goblet
Aroma - light smokiness, slight malt
Head small (1.5 cm), creamy, light brown, mostly diminishing
Lacing good
Body clear, dark red-amber
Flavor begins with a light smokey maltiness, slightly sweet, with no hint of hops
Gradually fades until only the smokiness remains, no diacetyl
This is a medium palate, creamy beer with lively carbonation.

This is one of my favorite beers, being the premier example of a rauch beer. Easy drinking, almost a session beer.

12-22-2013 12:50:43 | More by Ozzylizard
KDawg

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

this was poured into a big stein. Pours a rich and dark orange color with a nice and smaller head

really good and complex nose of smoke, malts, oranges and some bits of caramel as well

rich but smooth medium/full feel with deep tones. Shows off more of a malty side, though the smoke is very much there as well

This was perfect for an afternoon of grilling. The smoke added another level of complexity to the beer along with the good depth and complexity to begin with. This was a really good beer that was very easy to drink

10-08-2011 04:28:41 | More by KDawg
pburland23

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 1 pint 0.9 fluid ounce bottle into a mug.

Pours a deep, dark brown with a lingering beige head that produces some nice lacing.

Boy does this smell different than your average beer and a good way. The wood smoke smell wafts from the glass and reminds me of sitting next to a bbq pit or campfire. Pleasing memories abound.

The taste is smokey too like a smoked meat. I feel like this beer should have a pink smoke ring in it like barbecued meat. I taste the malty backbone once the initial smoke flavor passes. However, the smoke is pervasive and the taste lasts on your tongue.

The mouthfeel was smooth, but not overly carbonated. As for drinkability, I can't see myself having more than one at the moment. The smoke seems to be a touch overpowering, but I would definitely try this beer and again other rauchbiers for that matter.

11-05-2010 23:05:44 | More by pburland23
Beerzebub

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Attractive reddish brown color. Only a film of off-white head. Finely textured tendrils of lace.

Smells mainly of smoke, like smoked salmon and bacon, with toasty grain, honey, earth, fruit leather, and spicy grassy hops. Rich and appetizing.

Tastes of smooth smoked malt, moderately sweet, with some toast and honey. Very well balanced with fresh hop flavor - grassy, spicy, and earthy - and moderate bitterness. Dries out entirely for a fairly long smoky finish.

Lightly carbonated. The tiny size of the bubbles makes for a nice smooth texture. Very drinkable, the smoke doesn't interfere at all.

Plenty of smoke, but perfectly integrated. Very tasty and balanced beer, with no shortage of character.

01-14-2008 07:27:41 | More by Beerzebub
alalvarez75

12-12-2011 19:48:33 | More by alalvarez75
Portertime

4.93/5  rDev +22%

I first saw this style of beer at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL. As I attempted to pronounce the phlegm inducing, tongue twister of a name I thought to myself, "Smoke beer? Is this going to taste like dear old Grandma Abigail's ashes?" It was nothing like that at all! I slowly poured the rich tawny brew into a pilsener stlye glass (I had never heard of rauchbeir before then so I had no idea what vessel to enjoy it in.) I put my nostril up to the rim and inhaled deeply. Fresh smokey hardwood wafted into my nose. It reminded me of a summer barbeque with weiners on the grill. I took a swig and swished it around my pallet. What a symphony of smoked meat flavoring and faint oak. It was absolutely delectable! I had never experienced anything close to it. Now I live in Gainesville and I am totally craving the Jimmy Dean goodness that is rauchbeir. I have already ordered a case for the liquor store I work at.

04-08-2008 21:33:47 | More by Portertime
MystikCelt

03-25-2012 05:21:18 | More by MystikCelt
Brian700

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

I'd like to say thanks to mcallister for send me this small collection of smoked beers. This is my first one ever and I'm blown away. This Marzen pours a deep brown with a slightly off-white head. Lovely looking beer.

The aroma is nice and smokey. Reminds me of so many things I love like BBQing and Camping.

The taste is nice and malty with heavy smoke presence. The smoke aroma is intensified after you breathe out after the swallow. Simply amazing. This is a great style of beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I think this is a very drinkable beer even with the smokiness of it. I can see how others would disagree with me but if this is your style of beer--very drinkable.
The mouthfeel is

04-28-2006 04:43:58 | More by Brian700
ThaBobfather

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a brown, burnt color with a couple inches of tan head. Nearly opaque.
Our smell here is extremely smokey like the smell of frying bacon.
Taste is very smoked with some hints of malt, chocolate, and most definitely smoked meat/bacon.
Extremely bold flavor, the bacon flavor stays will me and under the right conditions is good that way.
Very smooth, the bacon flavor may hold some up.

05-01-2009 20:41:48 | More by ThaBobfather
DaveBlack

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Molasses-like in color, slightly transparent. There's a thin layer of off-white head that falls into a thin layer and stays. Almost no lacing to speak of.

S: I don't know that I could walk into the room without smelling this beer. The smoke aroma is huge, bringing the smells of campfire and smoked bacon. Underneath that there's a sweetness, presumably from the malts.

T: The taste is really nice. I was a little skeptical after smelling the beer that it would taste like nothing but a campfire, but it's really well balanced. Sweet caramel malts up front, a flavor reminiscent of smoked ham follows, but then it fades fairly quickly and a hop bitterness brings the beer to a close. Leaves the mouth with a slightly smoky aftertaste.

M: Creamy and moderate-heavy body with a fair amount of carbonation.

O: This is what a smoked beer should taste like. The smoke is ever-present but not overwhelming. Obviously not for someone who's not a fan of the rauchbier style, it's by far the best that I've ever had.

10-25-2011 21:48:07 | More by DaveBlack
chickenflea

look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My first smoked beer. Chestnut in color with a small fizzy white head that disappears quickly. Smokey and meaty in aroma with some freshly tanned leather. Taste is malty with a lingering flavor like bark and grain. Mild bitterness finishes very dry. Mouthfeel is light and watery with medium-low carbonation. An interesting beer. The quality seems fine, but it may take a few of these to develop my palate for them. My first one was not that enjoyable and I have tried most styles.

04-25-2014 10:49:44 | More by chickenflea
timontheroad

Colorado

05-17-2014 03:53:42 | More by timontheroad
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

A - dark red with amber highlights, brilliantly clear, beige creamy head, good retention, leaves some chunky lace behind.

S - smoke mixed with sweet bready malt. The malt is not easy to pick out, but it's there, kind of a layered aroma thing.

T - taste is pretty neat, leave it at the front of your mouth, and all you get is bready malt, move it to the back, swish it around, and you pick up the smoke. Aftertaste is smooth smoke.

M - Not overly rich, lean and smooth, well attenuated, med high carbonation, keeps the smoke from bogging things down.

D - not offensive at all, a tasty specialty offering

It is pretty amazing how the smoked malt carries over from the mash, boil, fermentation and lagering period into the finished beer. It is a very pleasing smoke character, and it's not like you can't pick up the character of the base beer. I've been waiting a long time to try this beer, it was well worth the wait.

Thanks to NASH for the bottle!

11-14-2008 01:09:41 | More by markaberrant
djcira

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

06-07-2014 19:18:18 | More by djcira
nasty15108

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 1pt .9oz bottle into a pint.

A - Dark brown with ruby edges. The pour produced a head of thick tan foam.

S - Smoke, Malt and BACON!!!!

T - Slightly sweet and very smokey. Slightly herbal.

MF&D - Medium bodied and smooth. My clear cut favorite from Aecht Schlenkerla. Give it a try.

12-01-2009 22:32:03 | More by nasty15108
2neardead

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

11-30-2012 02:13:57 | More by 2neardead
jskennedy

01-25-2012 06:13:10 | More by jskennedy
GreatPondBrewer

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Some people like this style some people hate it. I think I fall into the former catagory. On tap at the Toad, whcih was a pleasent surprise. Poured a hazy muddy brown color with a little bit of a grey head. Smelled of nothing but smoke. The kind of smoke that clings to your clothes after sitting around a campfire for a couple nights. Deep woody flavors and a bit of smoked salmos as well. Taste had more of that huge herby smokiness, but the finish was almost cracker like in its toastiness. very interesting blend of tastes. I would say that you should definitely try this beer even if you don't like smoked anything. it will be worth it.

03-16-2004 22:59:48 | More by GreatPondBrewer
Parrotbeak

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Light mohagany with a thin white head. Good amount of lacing as it goes down.
Smell is bacon, sausage, barbeque, smoke, and burnt malts. In a perfect world, this beer would accompany an everyday decadent breakfast that includes syrup-drenched sausage and bacon.
Taste is smokey sausage, beef jerky, smokey malts, and BBQ. Very nice.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a perfect level of carbonation.
Very drinkable--I recommend this one before a meatlover's pizza or some german sausage. Excellent beer.

02-24-2010 01:58:30 | More by Parrotbeak
Neorebel

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a dark, yet translucent cocoa brown with a sliver of a cream-colored head. The froth clings nicely to the glass as it goes down. Very appropriate look.

The nose is very pleasant with brown sugar, and a smoked umami characteristic. The caramelized and smoky taste intermingled well with the saltiness of my German-style brunch. It was also light bodied and low enough in alcohol to consume early in the day.

The finish is that of dry, woody charcoal and mild, but earthy hops. If you are a fan of Rauchbiers, this is one of the finest examples of the style.

04-23-2013 16:44:36 | More by Neorebel