Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Found this gem at The Wine Seller in Williamsburg. Poured into a Lowenbrau mug.

A - Deep chestnut/ruby coloration which glows brightly in the light. Somewhat transparent. Made a two tip head which displayed great retention, the lacing was spotty and at points did a spiderweb effect.

S - Zomg. Smoked sausage, bacon, fire, smoke, absolutely yummily amazing.

T - Definite Oktoberfest-style malt base and flavor profile initially, even a substantially watery body, then very subtly at first the smokiness creeps in. After a mere moment the flavors flood the palate and overtake the body. Delicious.

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation level, smokey (duh) aftertaste.

D - I truly love this beer. I can imagine how perfect it would be with pulled pork bbq and smoked ribs, unfortunately I currently only have baked potato pringles. I need more, and you need to try it. Just do it.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

I could smell the embers immediately upon opening. Wow! Super smoky and much more than the Weizen I tried recently. Dark and brown reminds me of a glass of coke with the ice melted. Same exact color. Short fluffy head but dissapears quickly. Taste is smoky, malty and sweet. I can't find any hops in this one. Again, aroma is real smoky like a smoked bacon or beef. I like this beer but I also am a fan of smoked foods. You'll most likely have to be in order to appreciate this style.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

1 pt 09 fl oz bottle, cold, poured into wide-mouthed brandy snifter type glass. This beer is much darker than it's Weizen relative, and the head seems much thinner. This beer is nearly black with just a little hint of amber at the edges. Correspondingly, the aroma is even deeper and more inviting than the Weizen. I've reviewed this beer before on tap at last year's GBBF, so I'll focus this review on the differences between this version and the bottled Weizen Rauchbier of the same make.

This beer is much more bitter. In that regard, it's actually flatter than the otherwise inferior Weizen version (coincidentally, it's also less fizzy, which works in its favor, in my opinion). The bitterness is of burnt malt and some German hops as well, and whereas the Weizen reminded me of tea, this reminds me more of particular smokey coffees (I like Allegro's Sulawesi Toraja, but my coffee-fu is not yet up to the standard of my Beer- or Tea-fu, so you may have to forgive my lack of vocabulary here).

Finally, there's a bit of an acidic of even iodine note in the very back of the flavor. Of the two, I prefer the Marzen, but both are great. No yeast in this bottle either.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours crystal clear mahogany with half inch of creamy head that slowly recedes to film and medium lace. Smells fragrantly smoky, a bit greasy, grainy. Light malt sweetness on the front of the tongue. Slightly chewy grains in the center. Finishes with very clean and appetizing smokiness that isn't overwhelming. The dichotomy between the smoke and cool clean finish is shocking at first, but quite mouth-watering after a few sips. Taste light and well-balanced between cream and carbonation. My favorite of the Heller-Trum beers so far. Delicious and easy-drinking.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

This has to be the most fascinating things i've ever had. Being the first Rauchbier i've had, i'm very very fascinated. This looks good, dark brown with a nice amount of lacing. Smell is like, campfire. With hints of a smoked sausage, totally delicious. Taste is absolutely phenomenal. This would go so so well with a side of summer sausage. carbonation is just right and delivers the aromas just perfectly. Drinkability is pretty good, but for some the aftertaste might be a bit too much. Personally this ranks among the best i've ever tasted. Very unique and quite flavorful. I'm getting some of these next time I have a barbecue.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

I do not like the smell from start, it smells like smoked kielbasa. I like kielbasa but this smell burned my nose hairs. I love Marzen beer but the smoked effect is not my style. I still recognize this beer is a clasic for the smoked type, that's why I gave it a curved score. It is smooth and goes down easy and the finish is also good, but that smell get's to me.

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%

Wow. Being a fan of American smoked porters, I was excited to try a rauchbier. I don't think anything could have prepared me for this one, save a bottle of KC Masterpiece. The beer pours a transparent dark brown/red color with a thin white head. Good retention and lacing. The smell is pure smoked hickory, jerky, and anything else you would find at a barbecue pit.

Unfortunately the taste is the same. It is straight-up smoked meat, hickory, and barbecue sauce. I tried very hard to decipher "beer" qualities (like hops or malt) and just couldn't find them. I'm sorry to say I had a very difficult time even finishing this beer. The taste is that pungent. But I do understand what this beer is trying to accomplish, and appreciate its uniqueness, which is why I didn't slam its score. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp.

If you know what you're getting into, love barbecued food (enough to drink it), or want a completely new beer experience, try this rauchbier. Personally it was a little too much for me to handle, and has probably made me gun shy toward other rauchbiers out there. I'll stick to the American smoked.

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance- Darker brown though still transparent enough to see through, thin quickly disappearing white head, light carbonation

Smell- Lots of smoke and faint smells of malts trying to kick through as best they can

Taste- Smoked campfire taste matching the smell, slight maltiness, as smoke fades you pick up bit of malts and even tad of hops on the finish, THIS IS A LONG FINISHING BEER,

Mouthfeel- Smooth lingering feeling

Drinkability- I imagine this could be a good sipping beer paired with the proper foods, not something personal I could see drinking often or alot but definitely and interesting try

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into a pint glass.

color appears to be a lighter brown, but when held to a light reveals itself to be a deep, deep garnet. a standard pour gets me a pinky of tan head that calms to a thin film. no lace in this one.

smells strongly of campfire with herbal notes and maybe just a bit of coffee.

taste is much more refined and complex than i was expecting. starts off with a nutty and carmely malt sweetness, then comes right in with the smoked malt. herbal hop character is present with a bit of spiciness, and the bitterness hangs on tongue for a short while before fading back into smoke. very well balanced.

feel is on the lighter side of medium with enough carbonation to lend a pleasing smoothness to the beer. seems to me that the lightness helps to mellow out the flavors a bit.

very drinkable and goes down smooth. this is a well constructed beer that is true to style. i'm not normally into smoke flavors in my beer, but i would definitely buy this again.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- Reddish brown appearance almost raison prune like. Slight clearness, head dissipates quickly, little carbonation.
S- Very Smokey, hints of caramel and bacon as well as wood.
T- Very unusual, first smoked beer I've tried. Very Smokey, like eating bacon. Hints of sweetness as well.
M- Medium mouth feel, light carbonation.
O- Overall it was not very enjoyable to drink at least for me. Felt like I was drinking bacon juice.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla