Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Xandrose

Maryland

02-08-2014 03:43:20 | More by Xandrose
jreitman

Smoked bacon and other meat in the aroma... seriously, how can you go wrong with bacon? Ruby colored with a white head that fades faast. Smoked ham comes though in the flavor with the marzen characteristics coming through on the front of the tongue and initially in the profile. Very nice overall and something I would definitely consider buying again.

07-05-2003 10:15:18 | More by jreitman
Andrew041180

08-09-2014 16:20:43 | More by Andrew041180
mintjellie

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Deep, intense, and dark ruby brown colour. It's large dense head looks like beige meringue and leaves behind some little patches of lace on my glass. Good head retention. It smells intensely smoky, like a campfire with smoked meat nuances. It's meaty in the sense of having that same kind of smoke aroma you get from smoked salmon or bacon. There's a bit of sweet malt underneath it all, but the aroma is ultimately all about the smoke. It's a very rich and savoury kind of aroma. It has a clean toasty malt character with a bit of sweetness, and a strong (but not overpowering) smoke flavour. Very mild hop bitterness in the finish.

Medium bodied with a fair amount of fine carbonation. Feels pillowly and soft in the mouth. The first time I had this it was a bit of a shock, but after giving it some time and a second chance knowing what I'm getting into, this is a damned good beer. This is a drinkable piece of living history, the process of malting the barley over a beechwood fire dating back to a time before someone had the idea of malting the barley in a kiln. I think I want to hunt for more rauchbiers.

07-18-2010 23:44:25 | More by mintjellie
lstokes

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

I had a bottle at Aufsturz in Berlin, and the man who asked for a sip at my table said it was like drinking smoked salmon, which is as good of a description I think I'm likely to hit upon.

It smells like smokey sweet caramel malt, and the taste is similar, the märzen is a familiar taste and the smoke brings it to a new level of complexity. Although you might think the smoke would "dry out" the palate, it's actually very juicy and smooth and a hell of a drinker. I had it without accompaniment--I suspect smoked meats would be too much, but I can imagine some nice cheese pairings.

Will definitely be buying again.

01-08-2010 13:54:00 | More by lstokes
Shawnspl

Rhode Island

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

07-27-2013 22:11:46 | More by Shawnspl
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. I got this via a trade, but I can't remember with who!

Dark, mostly opaque with some brownish-red highlights. Big 1 1/2 inch head off a vigorous pour. Medium-low carbonation from what I can tell, and lots of lace with good retention. Aroma is as advertised, smoky. My immediate thought is "meaty", because the only thing I've smelled this smoked is sausage. There's some background earth notes, some subtle floweriness, but it's all obscured by the smoky goodness.

Taste is wildly earthy and untamed, like the outdoors. Campfire smoke, and more smoke, sausage, some sweet malty caramel notes to balance, heathery sweetness as well. Some cocoa bitterness and lots of woody flavour as well with a good crackery malt base. Mouthfeel is awesome with a smooth, soft water feel, mellow, carbonation is just spot on, very mild and subtle. Light sticky driness in the finish, but creamy in the mouth. Well done, and I wish I had access to this beer in MB, it's just a natural pairing for so much good Eastern European food!

09-21-2007 03:09:16 | More by trevorwideman
plfahey

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

17oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Deep brown with ruby highlights, brilliant clarity, moderately large light tan head with good retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Layered nuanced smoke aromas-firewood, meaty (bacon), sweet adobe chiles, and some toasted, bready malts. No hops.

Flavor-Somewhat sweet toasted, bready malt flavors are overtaken by a smooth, complex smoke flavor, which is pleasant, but not overwhelming. Smoky, charred wood and charcoal flavors carry long into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, moderate, carbonation, smooth.

This is a fantastically crafted smoke beer. Pretty tasty on its own, but it pairs phenomenally with so many foods-a great beer to have on hand at all times.

02-21-2011 01:32:12 | More by plfahey
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

03-05-2014 20:49:07 | More by Seanniek91
cameraman

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

A deep, dark amber color, with a three finger thick, cream colored head forms on top. The head laces slowly down the glass. The smokiness is an incredible scent, it blends itself with a malty sweetness and doughiness. There is no real hop aroma in this beer. The malt hits the palate with a mild sweetness and the smoky flavor, that dominates and envelopes around every taste bud. Then a surprisingly mild citrus bitterness finishes the taste out. A very smooth feel, with a mild crispness, and is very silky along the palate. This is an incredible beer, there are styles that you have to taste from the source, this beer is it. Throw this at some smoked ribs or a pulled pork sandwhich. Plus, why doesn't barbaque places have this beer on tap or bottle.

09-26-2008 04:40:57 | More by cameraman
janubio

Spain

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

500 ml. bottle, red - amber colour, with a small off white head with not much retention and a small ring of lace. Smell of smoked salmon domintaing it all in the beginning, with some notes of malts, caramel and toffee later. Light creamy body, taste of smoked salmon, but malts are more noticeable here: toffee, caramel. It will be great of course with a smoked salmon of some other smoked fish, but great too with sausages. Not for everyone's palate (maybe even for mine), but a good beer indeed.

07-31-2013 16:20:12 | More by janubio
yen157

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Gorgeous looking beer, nice lasting head on top of liquid that could be a fine bourbon. Big smokey nose with a bit of toasted grains and grassy hops. No surprises when it came to the taste. It was smoke all the way at first, followed but bread crusts, malt, and a little bitterness at the end. Delicate carbonation made for a creamy beer and nearly perfect mouthfeel.

Between this beer, their Urbock, and Weizen, I prefer this second to the Weizen. This was a very nicely balanced Marzen underneath the smoke. However, the complexity of the smoke layered on top of the wheat makes the Weizen that much more interesting.

11-10-2002 16:03:46 | More by yen157
alkemy

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Dark copper/brown color with ruby highlighting. Pretty thin light tan head, but it does have some staying power. Lots of smokiness in the aroma. Reminded me of a strong smoked cheese and smoked salmon. Smoke dominates the flavor as well. Has some bitterness in the finish, but I'm really having trouble discerning much beyond the smokiness. This stuff is super smooth and goes down very easy. I wish I'd have drank this with my philly sandwich I had for lunch. I'm generally not much for beer with food, but I think this would be perfect with the right meal.

03-22-2010 23:06:37 | More by alkemy

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

07-21-2012 11:27:35 | More by GoGators
KDawg

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

this was poured into a big stein. Pours a rich and dark orange color with a nice and smaller head

really good and complex nose of smoke, malts, oranges and some bits of caramel as well

rich but smooth medium/full feel with deep tones. Shows off more of a malty side, though the smoke is very much there as well

This was perfect for an afternoon of grilling. The smoke added another level of complexity to the beer along with the good depth and complexity to begin with. This was a really good beer that was very easy to drink

10-08-2011 04:28:41 | More by KDawg
pburland23

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 1 pint 0.9 fluid ounce bottle into a mug.

Pours a deep, dark brown with a lingering beige head that produces some nice lacing.

Boy does this smell different than your average beer and a good way. The wood smoke smell wafts from the glass and reminds me of sitting next to a bbq pit or campfire. Pleasing memories abound.

The taste is smokey too like a smoked meat. I feel like this beer should have a pink smoke ring in it like barbecued meat. I taste the malty backbone once the initial smoke flavor passes. However, the smoke is pervasive and the taste lasts on your tongue.

The mouthfeel was smooth, but not overly carbonated. As for drinkability, I can't see myself having more than one at the moment. The smoke seems to be a touch overpowering, but I would definitely try this beer and again other rauchbiers for that matter.

11-05-2010 23:05:44 | More by pburland23

Cooper

06-28-2012 20:33:33 | More by Cooper
Beerzebub

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Attractive reddish brown color. Only a film of off-white head. Finely textured tendrils of lace.

Smells mainly of smoke, like smoked salmon and bacon, with toasty grain, honey, earth, fruit leather, and spicy grassy hops. Rich and appetizing.

Tastes of smooth smoked malt, moderately sweet, with some toast and honey. Very well balanced with fresh hop flavor - grassy, spicy, and earthy - and moderate bitterness. Dries out entirely for a fairly long smoky finish.

Lightly carbonated. The tiny size of the bubbles makes for a nice smooth texture. Very drinkable, the smoke doesn't interfere at all.

Plenty of smoke, but perfectly integrated. Very tasty and balanced beer, with no shortage of character.

01-14-2008 07:27:41 | More by Beerzebub
djcira

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

06-07-2014 19:18:18 | More by djcira
alalvarez75

12-12-2011 19:48:33 | More by alalvarez75
Portertime

4.93/5  rDev +22%

I first saw this style of beer at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL. As I attempted to pronounce the phlegm inducing, tongue twister of a name I thought to myself, "Smoke beer? Is this going to taste like dear old Grandma Abigail's ashes?" It was nothing like that at all! I slowly poured the rich tawny brew into a pilsener stlye glass (I had never heard of rauchbeir before then so I had no idea what vessel to enjoy it in.) I put my nostril up to the rim and inhaled deeply. Fresh smokey hardwood wafted into my nose. It reminded me of a summer barbeque with weiners on the grill. I took a swig and swished it around my pallet. What a symphony of smoked meat flavoring and faint oak. It was absolutely delectable! I had never experienced anything close to it. Now I live in Gainesville and I am totally craving the Jimmy Dean goodness that is rauchbeir. I have already ordered a case for the liquor store I work at.

04-08-2008 21:33:47 | More by Portertime
Brian700

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

I'd like to say thanks to mcallister for send me this small collection of smoked beers. This is my first one ever and I'm blown away. This Marzen pours a deep brown with a slightly off-white head. Lovely looking beer.

The aroma is nice and smokey. Reminds me of so many things I love like BBQing and Camping.

The taste is nice and malty with heavy smoke presence. The smoke aroma is intensified after you breathe out after the swallow. Simply amazing. This is a great style of beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I think this is a very drinkable beer even with the smokiness of it. I can see how others would disagree with me but if this is your style of beer--very drinkable.
The mouthfeel is