Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,059 | Hads: 2,116

I picked up a bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla's Rauchbier Marzen a month ago for $4.59 at The Lager Mill. I Like Rauchbier's but I don't drink them very often and I thought it's about time I finally give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 16.9oz bottle into a German style mug.

A- The label looks ok, it's got an old look to it like they haven't ever changed the label which isn't a bad thing but it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice slightly ruby brown color that took on more of a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with medium amount of sweetness with the smoke being the first to show up and it pretty much dominates this beer with a huge smokey aroma, there's a little bit of campfire smokiness to it, but it's the smoked meat and ham like aromas that seem to stick out the most. Up next comes a noticeable herbal aroma but other than that it's pretty much a smoke bomb. The aroma is pretty good and I like the smoked meat aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice grainy, toasted malt, caramel malt, and a slight nutty flavor. Up next comes the smoke which still sticks out the most and imparts a nice 50/50 mixture of campfire and smoked meat like flavors. On the finish comes some of the herbal aspects that I picked up in the aroma and it's followed by a lower amount of bitterness with a pretty smokey aftertaste that lingers just for a little bit. This was a pretty good tasting beer, It was much more balanced than the aroma and I liked that.

M- Smooth, clean, fairly crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty good and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of the style, I haven't gotten that Smoked meat flavor in many smoked beersand I thought that it worked well with the campfire smoke aspect and it helped the smoke not wear on the palate. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, fairly crisp, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I thought the smoke would start to wear on me, but it doesn't and I think I could drink a couple pints of this but that may be my limit. For some reason I think this would be a nice fall time beer, maybe because of the smokey aspect. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, the smoke really showed up, but it wasn't too overpowering and it let some of the nice Marzen flavors come through. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I can of think that would improve this beer, it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who likes smoked beers. I like the style but in my experience some of them wear on me quickly with the harsher smoke flavor, but this beer kept all aspects pretty balanced and it was more drinkable than i thought it would. This beer made a good first impression for Aecht Schlenkerla, I'll be looking for more of their beer and so far this is my favorite traditional German Rauchbier, Nice job guys, this is one tasty and drinkable Rauchbier, keep up the good work.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Although there is a decent malt backbone to somewhat counteract the smokiness here, I find the smoke far too overpowering. It dulls the taste of everything and really kills any hop character. I like it slightly more than the Weizen version because of the more robust malts, but neither are particularly to my taste.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up on a whim. Not too familiar with german beers and was rated phenomenally so I gave it a shot.

Picked up a bottle for 5.99, which I thought would be fair for how great this thing appeared to be.

The appearance after the pour is great. Heavy, dark, brownish head, just looks like a man's beer that's waiting to be sipped on and slowly enjoyed. Just a fine specimen.

After the poor I took a great big wiff, and my god. It smells like someone brewed this through their armpit hair. The "smoke" scent was horrid. Had I spoke or been able to read german I probably would have known this was a smoked beer and expected a smoke scent..but its forever in my brain as what BO smells like.

The taste was much better than the smell...but the smell still kills it and it lingers with the taste. I'm afraid to hold it in my mouth for more than a few seconds but when I do I don't regret it. I can taste the charred wood and the piss smell starts to dissipate...its not bad whatsoever until the aftertaste kicks in at least.

The mouth feel is phenomenal. Heavy, thick, but smooth and feel good. Much comfort in my gums and underside of my tongue. I almost don't want to swallow.

Overall this brew is overhyped in my opinion. Its a work of art, but the scent just destroys it. It smells like piss, I'm sorry but it does. I'm going to try and finish it though, we'll see where my opinion takes me towards the end of it.

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head which has okay retention. The head is a very dull, almost dirty, light beige while the body is a chestnut to chocolate brown that appears as a mix of burgundy and garnet when held up to the light.

Nose- Definitely cannot regard the nose as boring. Definitely, lots of smoke and very reminiscent of barbecue. Big fruity esters that range from citrus (lots of orange) to white grapes to even slight raisins notes. The interaction between the smoke and the esters seem to indicate tomatoes and barbecue sauce. Some cloves and some burnt qualities, toast. Some woodiness as well from the beech wood. Very nice. Interestingly enough, swirling seems to diminish most of these notes.

Taste- Starts off with smoke over a big base of fruity and juicy esters. Very reflective of the nose in that citrus and raisins appear to suggest tomato that in combination with the smoke suggests barbecue sauce. Some woodiness but this is a pretty sweet beer. Not overly sweet by any means; the smoke definitely keeps that in check but it does have its vinous qualities. I think the sweeter malts associated with the Marzen might have some play in this. Some caramel sits under the fruitier sweetness. Some cloves on the finish which match very well with the smoke and the wood. Slight melanoidin flavors. Mostly good in regard to presence, complexity, and balance. No note overreaches and nothing dazzles but everything works together to make a really good beer.

Mouthfeel- Almost medium bodied with a good amount of syrup to the texture. Carbonation is appropriate and there's definitely some zing to it but it works well with the flavor profile.

Drinkability- Very sessionable if you choose not to think about it but also very interesting if you do. Pretty much the best of two worlds. It is a little pricy for a session beer though. 4.49 for a 500 mL is a good price nonetheless and I could see myself buying this again.

Overall- Pretty good beer that is a very good example of the style. Aecht Schlenkerla is definitely where it is at for rauchbiers. Definitely worth a try even if you don't like smoky beers. This is sweet and fruity enough that it might just change your mind.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It was a welcome treat after I biked home in the winter cold: a single bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen. Or, in English, an “Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer Pale-Lager.” According to Schlenkerla, for one of their smokebeers (rauchbier) to earn the name and achieve the taste, the malt is exposed “to the intense, aromatic smoke of burning beech-wood logs.” It was exactly the taste for capping a day’s work and a nippy bike ride. This drink got pretty damn close to actualizing the phrase “it warms the cockles of your heart.”

The rauchbier had toasty, camp-fire, tobacco tastes and surprisingly medium-body smoothness and it deliciously complemented the smoky fish chowder and salty crackers I ate for dinner.

2.39/5  rDev -41.1%

Purchased this 500ml bottle at the LCBO for just under $4.00.

A- Excellent! Opened very well, poured high with head with a very dark rich looking foam

S- Very good. Hints of smoke shine through along with herbs

T- Absolutely horrible. Worst beer by far I have had. I tried but ended up pouring down the sink after 5 sips. This one is smoky in a fake flavor sort of way

M- Pretty good but it just doesn't help the taste factor

O- The taste dragged this one down badly. Just a personal choice

Food Pairing

I didn't even want to have a 6th sip let alone eat something.

This is the best German brew ever in my humble opinion. Pours the color of brown sugar, you immediately smell the smoky aroma. Delicious. Mouthful is substantial but not too full. The taste is smoky brown sugar, like a perfectly cured ham. This is my favorite German import, cannot get enough. It is perfection.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Look: Pours with a huge frothy light-brown head, medium sized bubbles. Slow retention, mostly diminishing. A thin unequal layer stays on top. Leaves good amount of sticky lacing. Lots of visible carbonation. Color is clear dark brownish/black with strong red hue.

Smell: Holy shit. Bacon. Read about it, but didn't really believe it. Fun and interesting. Also some light smokiness, caramel sweetness and herbal freshness underneath.

Taste: Light/medium pleasant caramel, light herbal spike, lightly roasted bitterness and then full-on bacon at the end. Maybe some hop in the bitterness and a hint of tart.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium creamy body, fair amount of carbonation - makes it lighter and very easy to drink.

Overall: Sexy bacon beer. Fo real. Try it.

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

no date bottle, cellar temp, into goblet
Aroma - light smokiness, slight malt
Head small (1.5 cm), creamy, light brown, mostly diminishing
Lacing good
Body clear, dark red-amber
Flavor begins with a light smokey maltiness, slightly sweet, with no hint of hops
Gradually fades until only the smokiness remains, no diacetyl
This is a medium palate, creamy beer with lively carbonation.

This is one of my favorite beers, being the premier example of a rauch beer. Easy drinking, almost a session beer.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing from a perspective of this being my first beer of this kind and respecting ALL types of beer, and keeping comparisons within categories. I apologize if this review does not adequately describe the beer from a more seasoned palate.

Initial impression:
-Smell- smoked meat: awkward at first having the smell of smoked meats emanating from a beer glass. Very intriguing. Made me pleasantly anxious to see if taste matched smell

- Taste- Smoked meat! Was unable to adequately decipher all of the complex flavors but the smoked meat is what stands out initially. Not too heavy a beer. Each sip I could only describe as "intriguing". There is more than a smokey meat flavor and smell but it will take further "investigation" for this beginners palate to unravel the intricacies of this beer. Given its history, it is at very least a MUST TRY for any beer lover. It is easy to see how one of these could be enough for a beer drinker, but it is equally easy to see how one could become slave to the uniqueness of this style of beer. I for one have no choice but to delve deeper into the mysteriousness of the flavors and smells of these beers.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Clear dark brown with a white head, mild lacing on edge of glass

S: Smoke hickory ham almost bacon. Phenomenal

T: Campfire smoke taste that cannot be denied that finishes with a hint of caramel malt

M: Smooth clean and lingers.

O: Granted this is my first Rauchbier, but this beer is great. Great change up from the normal and the smoked pork flavor is phenomenal !

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours an impressive looking clear brown with an inch of dark beige head. Beauty.

Smell is sweet grain and caramel with some light smoke and righteous tang.

What a clean blast of campfire and smoked pork that cradles the flavors of malty caramel and yeastily rounded tart. The balance here is the work of a master, heavy flavors made to float, darkest flavors made to sing.

Nicely spritzy, beautiful cling, not too much of that smoke resin to dull the palate, quite light in fact, even refreshing, though it is full of the acrid flavors sans harshness.

The work of masters, this beer is a beer opera of deep emotional taste.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A standard pour of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen yields a translucent mahogany body; this beer is darker than I expected it to be. When the beer is held to light, a spectrum of highlights appears with colors ranging from sandy yellow to copper. The inch-and-a-half-high, light ecru head has lots of staying power. It takes about 2 minutes for the head to settle, and when it does, it leaves behind a sticky ring and some islands of viscous foam on the top of the brew.

The nose is expectedly smokey, but not overpoweringly so. Sweet smells of caramel and toasted butterscotch cut through the smoke. Earthier aromas mix with the smoke and suggest roasted meats, particularly bacon and fatty brisket. I even pick up hints of herbs and spices. I can't wait to see how this all plays on the palate…

Like a symphony, that's how. Where to begin? Smoke and rich, toasted flavors assert themselves immediately, and are closely followed by a welcome bitterness and some herbal notes that persist through the hang and into subsequent sips. The beer's primary flavor is Smoked pork belly drizzled with a bit of toasted butterscotch, then seasoned with a touch of thyme and black pepper. Attendant flavors, which disappear and reappear at random as I make my way through the bottle, include burnt ends (of brisket), and smoked lavender and sage.

My only complaint is that the mouthfeel is just a bit too thin. The carbonation is slightly astringent, and the foam isn't quite as viscous and creamy as I want it to be. I'm nitpicking.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier's Märzen has the kind of complex flavor profile to which even days of repeated sipping and note-taking couldn't do justice. The addition of roasted malts makes this beer darker than most Märzens, but their presence is perhaps what makes this beer so outstanding. I'll be sure to pick up another bottle next year.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Warmed by amidst a dark, cold eve late in November.

Back to that smoky German cellar I return, and I will return soon. Pours a deep reddish, a visual foreshadowing of the burning timber herein. Light tan head with superb longevity, casting a storm cloud on the libation beneath. Smell wells up with smoke and victory. Taste is surprisingly light on the onset , with the wave of misty malts striking especially post swallow. My companion for such a short time, though it seems like ages.

Ges. gesch. rauchgeschmack!

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a tall tumbler.

Nearly opaque chocolatey body with a thin off-white head settling into what looks like a map of Pangea on the surface. I admittedly just grabbed this around Oktoberfest because I wanted to have a few Marzens around. Just getting around to drinking it now and realized on pouring that it's a Rauchbier.

Smells like smoke with a hint of sweet brandy. Seriously smokey though, like someone poured some liquid smoke seasoning in it.

Wow. Really, really interesting. Again, so smokey that you think you're bringing some scotch to your lips, then...surprise it's more like an easy drinking porter.

Medium bodied and clean finishing other than the lingering smoke breath.

Full disclosure...I mentioned I bought this among a few other Marzens around Oktoberfest, but this one was still around only because it just looked like something I wouldn't really like. So it's safe to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the aroma and flavor. Would go great with any smoky gouda, sausage or grilled meat.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

500mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-

APPEARANCE : Deep dark mahogany with a slightly mocha head that rises to a fair height on pour and drops down to a relatively above-average stable height. The foam looks thick and pretty sturdy - looks which are confirmed by the very fine amount of lacing left behind.

SMELL : First nose is rich malt and rich smoke on a pretty 50-50 equilibrium. No real hop presence at this point. Second nose follows through but adds in a definite floral element - so there's our hops popping up. Very smooth and aromatic - most definitely a noble varietal, as can be expected from a German beer. Third nose has yet more flowery hops coming out and the clearly lager origin of the beer becomes obvious.

TASTE : Sweet-ish malts, smoke, a nice floral hop tinge, lots of fruit that are a bit of a surprise judging from the nose. White flowers and an almost peach side to the fruit profile. Very, very interesting. I'm especially digging the mix of the malt, smoke and peach aromas. Works amazingly well for me.

MOUTHFEEL : This is just what it needs to be, in my opinion. The round feel that the slightly sweet malts bring help support and complement the smoke. A "normal" lager would be much too thin and delicate for that smoke profile. Carbonation is spot on after a few swings around the glass for the sake of smelling the stuff right.

OVERALL : I've known people who felt the smoke in this brew was overwhelming, but to me it's nearly perfectly balanced. Everything works amazingly well. The smoke attack quickly calms down and the fruit profile slowly begins to dominate, although always leaving a healthy amount of room for the smoke. I haven't had many rauchbiers, but I keep coming back to this one. Great stuff.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance 4.0: Striking, deep brown color. Almost as if the beer starts at black on the top and then fades into brown at the bottom. Very little to no head and I really cranked the pour.

Smell 4.25: Wow, very unusual bouquet. The standard barley and hop aromas, but with an additional depth from a deep smokiness. This is an unusual smoke scent as well, almost like some type of fruit wood: cherry or apple.

Taste 4.25: Front is almost flavorless, but inbetween the front and the middle a delicious, almost smoked bleu cheese flavor pops up and then fades away quickly. The middle is dry, with hints of slight sweetness and a big kick of the smokiness. Finish is dry, slightly smoky and I can almost taste a subdued hop flavor in there somewhere. Aftertaste is short and clean with just the slightest hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Mouthfeel is somewhat flat and watery. Interestingly, this does not detract from the enjoyment of the beer.

Overall 4.0: Definitely not for the unadventurous, this beer is unusual and highly rewarding. Smooth, refined and certainly not something that was brewed as a "one off" or an experiment, this brew is expertly balanced and just fantastic. It matches perfectly with certain foods: the slight bleu cheese taste led me to try it with bleu cheese and I was very impressed with the results. If you find it and are on the fence, invest the paltry amount of money and try this brew out.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Millwright's Tavern in Simsbury, CT. Amber color, but two tone colored, a bit darker toward the top. Thick fine head that settles out slowly and leaves sheets of lace up the sides of the glass. Malty and rich aroma. Rich flavor of biscuit malt laced with peat smoked malt. Good balance, rich and malty with a nice even smokiness. Rich and full mouthfeel. been wanting to try this one for a while, and pleasantly surprised to see it on tap right in my home town. Very good beer.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

From a 500 ml bottle into a nonic glass. Bottle says 5.1% ABV.

A-A normal pour produces two fingers of milky-tan head. The retention is good with more than two-minutes having passed and a cap remaining. The brew is dark, walnut brown with ruby highlights. No real lacing.

S-The smell is...wait for it...smokey. The smoke is a pleasing mixture of charcoal, light peat, and roasted barley. There is also a bit of toffee caramel sweetness. No hops.

T-The taste is less smokey than the smell, but smoke is certainly the most prominent flavor. There is just a hint of sweetness underneath, as well as a bit of grain. Nice balance.

M-The feel is medium body with a soft to moderate carbonation. The brew is drinkable despite the smokiness and heft.

O-This is a really tasty example of the style. The smoke is strong, but it never overpowers things, and provides a nice complex flavor. The flavors are balanced and smooth. Even though the feel is a little soft and heavy, drinkability is high, as well.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml - "best Before 01/2014" - 5.1%
A: brown with hints of copper; almost opaque
S: root beer/cola/smoke -- a beautiful combination in balance. Not aggressive smokiness!
T: From beginning to end this beer is in perfect balance. The smokiness is there but so is cola, root beer, and bitterness in the finish. It's not a big, "whack you over the head" kind of beer but one with character and depth. Gorgeous! And I love that it's just 5.1%.
M: medium bodied, medium carbonation. Nice.
O: an amazing beer. Like a fine bordeaux rather than a big brooding Shiraz or Zin. So much taste and complexity without being aggressive. A recalibration of my tastebuds.

3.24/5  rDev -20.2%

Look, this is the my first of the style, and if this beer is supposedly as good as others say it is, it will be my last. It pours a nice color with a medium head and very good lacing. The smell is all smoke--so much so that I can barely taste the "bacon" and "meat" that others rave about. But then again, if I wanted to smell meat, I would buy meat. The taste, in my [maybe naïve and unsophisticated}opinion is drowned out by smokiness. Some reviewers have congratulated this beer for its complexity and for the smoke flavor for being nuanced, but what I find is smokiness that has gotten out of control. I love a beer with some character, and there's nothing more attractive than a beer that compliments both a campfire and a steak at the same time. But this just seems to go too far and in the process loses the complexity that some are convinced that it has.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

Served from a 500ml bottle

A: A deep amber/brown color topped with a finger and a half of slightly off white khaki head. Clarity is very good.

S: Smokey malts reminiscent of a smoked ham or even bacon.

T: Very smokey but not overly so. Very malt forward as a marzen should be but the smokiness remains king and is the dominant flavor. The hops provide a nice balance and come into play keeping the beer nicely balanced. The smokiness brings memories of a smoky flavored ham, bacon, or even smoked salmon all of which I am very partial to.

M: Crisp, clean, and refreshing. Really not overbearing and heavy which is great for a lager.

O: Amazing beer. My first Rauchbier and I absolutely loved the style. One of the few really great beers I've had in a long time.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: 4.25
Dark brown semi-opaque body with white-brown head 1-2'.

Smell: 4.25
Rich campfire smoke with background of toffee and roasted malt and slightly earth Noble hops.

Taste: 4
Initially, a dry, nutty malt with slight sweetness later in taste. Smooth smokiness with notes almost akin hickey smokiness of bacon. Mid to late, increasing mild to moderate bitterness becomes detectable via hops. Finishes with a slight mild malt presence and a thin coating of roast/smoke on palate.

Mouthfeel: 3.5
Slight thinness to body with mild carbonation. Almost English ale'ish in mouthfell.

Overall: 4.25
Great dynamic beer with strong smoke notes, but manages to still be balanced and drinkable. Pairs well with food, esp BBQ.
Recommend to try.

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from the bottle into a stange.

A- Deep dark brown in color. Pours with a beautiful, thick frothy cream colored head.

S- Smoked ham!

T- The smokiness remains at the beginning of the palate, then gives way to sweet caramelly malt flavor.

M- Smooth, low carbonation, slightly thick on the tongue.

O- A truly unique beer, yet it manages to be more than just a great aroma. The sweeter aspects of the beer are completely unexpected after the intense smoky nose and ham and bacon hints and this makes the beer all the more impressive. Easily could become a regular beer for me.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Pours an opaque deep brown with a thick khaki head that lingers.

Beechwood, smoke, and toasted malt form the initial aroma. Smoke is dominant, rich, and reminiscent of bbq meat. Nuttiness surfaces.

Flavor is unexpectedly sweet and malty, overly toasted and smoky, with woody notes. The finish is earthy and slightly bitter, with rubbery phenolic notes and ash.

Body is a touch light, with moderate carbonation.

Smoke dominant, but with enough malty sweetness to counter. Very intriguing flavor profile. Would go great with bbq.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla