Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
ktrillionaire

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

A – Dark with an amber hue, nice off-white head. The common appearance belies a furious interior

S – Smoked mullet. I grew up in Coastal Florida, I know 547812469 mullet fisherman. This is grade A smoked mullet. Not smoked Salmon, mind you. Not smoked Mackerel, mind you. Not smoked Amberjack, mind you. Ted Peters Smoked Fish House has nothing on this.

T – Overall, this beer is among the most strictly savory. Like smoked mullet; if you like it, you'll love this. Mullet is a mild, grainy white fish, and this beer is ridiculously similar. In other words, this beer has heavy smoke, light grain, and a great smooth body and finish.

M – Medium-thin, and very complimentary to the flavor. If it had more viscosity it would be less palatable.

D – Very complementary to certain foods, and extremely delicious as a stand-alone.

01-03-2010 00:47:06 | More by ktrillionaire
senojkram

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Can't really say too much about this beer other than it is tasty.
The appearance is a dark brown color. The head was a cream color but dissapated very quickly.
Very strong smokey smell as if you just opened up some smoked cheddar. Almost a meaty smell like sausage or bacon.
Very strong overpowering but good smoke flavor.
Light and dry mouthfeel. Almost like chanpagne. Not what you would expect.
I only gave the drinkablilty a 3.5 considering I couldnt drink much of it. One bottle was just about right but I would definately drink it again.

01-02-2010 00:09:50 | More by senojkram
jwinship83

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

500ml bottle picked up on sale for $2.99. drank out of a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out a dark brown colored body with ruby red around the edges when held up to the light. a small cream colored head sits on which leaves small spots of lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- this beer has an extremely strong odor. lots of smoke/campfire can be detected even a few feet away. very meaty smelling.

T- the taste yields just as much smoke as the smell did. it also reminds me of smoked sausage. very odd for a beer.

M- not as heavily bodied as i was expecting. leaves my mouth feeling dry.

D- definitely a smoked beer. almost so over the top that it becomes a novelty. something id come back to sometime down the road but not for a while.

12-30-2009 04:21:30 | More by jwinship83
realbama

3.13/5  rDev -22.5%

I was really looking forward to this one after reading the reviews. In short, a must try. But, I couldn't drink more than one. It poured a beautiful dark amber with a 2 inch creamy head. It smelled of smoke. Like others have said, imagine the smell of a BBQ. The taste was OK. VERY unique. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't incredible either. The aftertaste is what turned me off. It really left a taste of smoke in my mouth that I couldn't help but associate with a tailgate. Hours later, I still tasted it. Overall, this is a "must try at least once" beer.

12-26-2009 20:54:12 | More by realbama
fsimcox

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

I could smell the smoke from two feet away.

Pours a clear rich dark brown. Thick 1-inch white foamy head that dissipates quickly to ¼ inch. Some lacing.

Smells of smoked sausage, a strong smell. Some malt.

A smooth smoky taste, some hop bitterness, but not overpowering. A hint of creaminess up front, lightly toasted malt behind the smoke. Finish is smoke and hops, with a bitter hop aftertaste that lingers.

Mouthfeel is creaminess, medium body even though it looks rich. Some carbonation hits the back of my throat.

I remember this beer being awesome from the gravity feed barrels at the brewery in Bamberg. I still enjoy it, but needs to be paired with some robust food.

12-25-2009 21:25:45 | More by fsimcox
WorldWideStout

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance was a rich, dark brown.

Smell was smoky, of course. Smoked peat, smoked bacon, and all the best parts of what a campfire smell like. Lovely.

Taste was similar, though I didn't get the peat as much.

Good level of carbonation, beer was somewhat thin, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be thicker.

The flavor is so intense, I can't give it too high a mark. This was the last beer in a tasting I held, so I didn't drink a whole pint of it. I think one would have been enough though.

Only had one or two other rauchbiers, but this one was great, and really makes me want to explore this category more.

12-24-2009 17:38:02 | More by WorldWideStout
aubuc1

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a clear, rich brown with a thick light tan head.

Huge smell of smoked salty sausage. Some slight sweet malty, but mainly a bite of sausage.

Taste is smokey and malty. The smell is relentless. A dry finish with some slight hops.

Mouthfeel is good.

This beer is drinkabile despite its intense smell. The dry finish doesn't linger.

12-20-2009 20:51:38 | More by aubuc1
hardy008

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Dark ruby color with a small tan head, some lacing. Smell is smoked ham or bacon, some sweet malt is also present. The flavor is just like smoked ham or bacon with a little bit of sweetness at the end. Quite good.

This is a very smooth beer to drink. Not too much carbonation, medium bodied. The sweetness of this beer comes through more as it warms. I would buy this again.

12-19-2009 03:44:00 | More by hardy008
juju7

Australia

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

God I love these beers. If you like things smoked (cheese, salmon, ribs, BBQ sauce etc) you can't go past this. Mind you, it isn't some kind of novelty beer. This has structure, balance and flavour in spades. Beautiful smokey, tar, coffee on the nose with a very pleasant dry, charcoal-like presence on the palate. Enjoyed this with a rump steak with wild mmushrooms and peppercorns and it rocked the house.

12-17-2009 09:13:59 | More by juju7
tegelaar

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Poured from bottle into a german style mug.

A - Dark brown - can barely see through the beer. Bit of red and copper colors. Lots of lacing that sticks for awhile.

S - A sweet smokey smell. Hints of meat.

T - Very smokey but also quite sweet. Very balanced.

M - Medium to light bodied despite the appearance. Medium to low carbonation.

D - Goes down very smooth for me. Might be a tad rich to have too many.

12-08-2009 04:27:21 | More by tegelaar
taigor

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from bottle into mug.

A - Dark brown turning ruby when held up to light with big tan head that dissipates very slowly leaving lots of lacing around the glass.

S - Smoked fish and bacon, roasted malts.

T - Bitter at first then turning smoky and sweet due to malts.

M - Medium bodied with lots of carbonation.

D - Good to have one drink but more than one is a little bit pushy because you feel like you ate more than a pound of bacon.

12-07-2009 21:51:22 | More by taigor
champ103

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. At first a white head slowly rises to about two fingers. The foam gently recedes in an instant. Light lace is left behind.
S: Smoke salmon invades the nose as soon as a crack the cap. Some light toasted malt.
T: Again, smoked salmon is front and center. Sweet, and lightly toasted malt.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Not hard to drink. The huge smoke flavor really makes this a one and done though.

Not bad at all. I am just not a huge fan of Rauchbier's I guess. I really appreciate the craft that goes into a beer like this. Though I prefer the smoke flavor to compliment the malt, not the other way around. If you like the style, or interested in any way this is the place to start.

12-04-2009 21:22:24 | More by champ103
nasty15108

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 1pt .9oz bottle into a pint.

A - Dark brown with ruby edges. The pour produced a head of thick tan foam.

S - Smoke, Malt and BACON!!!!

T - Slightly sweet and very smokey. Slightly herbal.

MF&D - Medium bodied and smooth. My clear cut favorite from Aecht Schlenkerla. Give it a try.

12-01-2009 22:32:03 | More by nasty15108
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

Well first of all, I'm not a rauchbier fan, so take this review as a review from an outsider.

The beer looks good. A little thin dark brown pour. Smells decent. If salty had a smell, it would be it. The taste is tough to swallow. Salty smoked sausage? Maybe some bacon. Tastes like beer made with day old breakfast meat. Mouthfeel comes off the same way, like you've got old liquid meat in your mouth. As a result its not very drinkable.

The weird thing, I love grilling, bacon, sausage. Just not as part of my beer. Who knows, maybe I'll try this again when my palate is more developed. Heaven knows SN porter and stout were tough for me 10 years ago, now I love them. . .

11-28-2009 16:16:05 | More by Beerandraiderfan
DerBayer

Germany

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

This is much better on tap than from the bottle. I just had this in the rake and man this is amazing.
The smoked barley gives it such a full body that it can easily match up to any stout or porter in fact potentially one of the fullest bodies ever.
At the same time there is none of that ale staleness but a crisp refreshingness mixed with sweet malt flavours - OUTSTANDING

11-28-2009 15:17:01 | More by DerBayer
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

I've never had a rauchbier before, I'm told it's Ham flavored, which isn't something I normally equate with beer. Anyways, got it from my buddy Ludachris, so here goes!

Appearance: Poured with two solid thumbs of head that retain admirably and lace somewhat. The body is an very dark red color with hints of brown that is too dark to detect any carbonation.

Smell: The strong smell of pepperettes dominate the nose with a smoky malt background. It is certainly not what you would expect if you didn't know much about beer, but it is very nice, given the beer should have a spiced, smoked meat smell.

Taste: Starts with a bit of a salty bacon flavor that seems a bit out of place but thankfully turns to a smokey, robust smoked sausage flavor with small notes of caramelized malt. It then finishes with a well balanced kick of smoky bitterness that masks hops.

Mouthfeel: This one is tough to gauge, the aftertaste is a smoked meat aftertaste which is nice, but leaves a dry and salty undertone. Transitioning is decent, and the carbonation isn't bad. Doesn't overstay it welcome which is good.

Drinkability: Well, I'll be honest there aren't many times that I want to drink liquid smoked ham. The saltiness doesn't make the beer very refreshing but it does go down easy enough and leaves no gas or bloating.

Final Thoughts: Certainly a good experience, and I would recommend trying it at least once. If I wanted something odd, I'd buy it again sure. Really though, there isn't much I'd pair this beer with and seems to be more of a novelty then anything. Try it, it's certainly different.

11-27-2009 21:02:58 | More by TheHammer
brewtal

Quebec (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Found this WAY back the fridge in a Haweskbury LCBO. My bro saw that classy, vintage-looking bottle and we took the two last ones with us.

Pours great, tough the head diminishes fairly quiclky. Great lace. Very dark brown, hues akin to some thick, thick maple syrup.

I have trouble with Rauchbiers and smoked beers in general for that matter. But this just might be it! Smells yummy. Smoky maple-flavored bacon and bbq ribs. Some charcoal and lots of caramelised malts to go around.

I love the burnt/charcoal slap. Very malty and somewhat fruity, with rasperry and elderberry flavors. Finishes bitter. Almost astringent, like the more burnt pieces off a grilled steak.

Chewy with a shy, but appropriate carbonation.

From my experience (about half a dozen different smoked beers), i could barely finish a glass of Rauchbier. But i'll have no problem going trough this 500ml bottle. Amazing.

11-23-2009 00:29:05 | More by brewtal
advill88

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a very dark reddish color with a thick white three finger head.

The smell is very smoky, almost to exclusion of much of anything else. It almost reminds me of the campfires I used to build when I was a Boy Scout.

The taste combines that same strong smokiness with some hop bitterness at the back end, but the smoke flavor has a slight sweetness that keeps it all balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium with a light carbonation, and a nice creamy texture.

This is an extraordinarily unique beer style that I've never had before. I've heard that people generally either really hate it or love it, and I definitely love it. I couldn't drink too many of these in a row, though, because of the strong smokiness. This is a great sipping beer.

11-22-2009 01:35:11 | More by advill88
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to Bobsy for sending one my way.

A: Brown color, very dark with some red notes on the edge. The head is beige, very small bubbles. Sticks well to the glass.
S: Smoke! Smokiness... reminds me of smoke salmon. It is intense, I don't smell any roasted malts, no hops too. But the smell is so good.
T: Smoke right up-front. A little bitter in the after-taste. I like this. I could get some light notes of caramel in the taste.
M: Medium body with some carbonation. A good drink.
D: Wouldn't drink more than one per day, however, I would seek this one out to get some more!

Thanks Bobsy for another great beer.

11-19-2009 02:37:35 | More by ZorPrime
fightingwords

Kentucky

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

S--smells like a campfire or a burnt out oak tree. Really could not distinguish any of the bready malts that would be in a standard marzen. Smoke is just such a powerful profile to have much complexity.

A--deep walnut stained color. Tan head. Fluffy with okay retention.

T-- smoked salted ham. Some type of raw nuttiness was present.

M--smooth and dry not unlike a scotch, but not quite as intense.

D--it's a slower sipper for me.

To be honest I hate this style and didn't like this beer, but I did it because it's always good to be open. Based on the reviews and comments on other rauchbiers this is exactly what they taste like and is a good reproduction.

11-18-2009 02:40:43 | More by fightingwords
drabmuh

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

I told everyone that I would give these beers another chance, figure out what's great about them and re-review them accordingly so here it begins. Available on draft at a local beer bar, I had to try it again, even though I have nothing but horrible bad memories of this beer, lets do it again.

Beer is dark brown, but still see through, minimal head, tiny bubbles, sticks close to glass, some lacing on the glass.

This beer smells like bacon, hickory, salt, smoke, smoke, smoke.

This beer tastes like salted and smoked pork. It is relatively smooth, not as bad as I recalled. Medium body, drinkability average, I still don't think I could get through a whole lot of this.

So this is probably the best rauch I've ever had and I may be coming around on this style and these beers because I finished it and I understood it. I still didn't rank it as high as most but I think I'm beginning to understand the general appeal.

11-16-2009 19:11:19 | More by drabmuh
cynicgiraffe

District of Columbia

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a very dark brown. No head, minimal lacing. Oily surface. Smell is pure smoke. Smells like charcoal plus good pork bbq. Front is puuure smoked bacon. Back doesn't taste much different than the front. Very nice mouthfeel, not thick, but substantial. Overall really good if you can get it and love pork.

11-16-2009 02:27:11 | More by cynicgiraffe
dananabanana

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Dark brown with a rim of light brown foam.

S: VERY smoky (well, it should be!), with a little sweetness.

T: More smoke, almost overpowering at times. A dark, malty taste reminiscent of other marzens.

M: Very little carbonation.

D: Excellent for sipping. The taste is too strong for more than one.

11-16-2009 00:02:44 | More by dananabanana
Kristing

Sweden

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a tall German beer glass, this beer is opaque black and has a thick white head that retains well. This all makes for a very beautiful drink indeed.

The aroma is full of smokiness, and therefore brings a beechwood fire to mind. There are also some burned notes present.

When it comes to taste, this beer is far less heavy than I had expected, in a good way. There is fair deal of smokiness that goes up to the palate, but there is by no means as much of it as there is in the bouquet. The general taste in the mouth is very mellow like a schwarzbier, and the malty goodness is very present and tasty, with a slight burnt tone in the after taste.

The complex smokiness, the malty sweetness and the, relatively, light lager character creates a wonderful mélange that makes for a very drinkable and moderately complex beer. I imagine that I could easily quaff a couple of pints of this beer, one after another.

11-15-2009 16:30:57 | More by Kristing
Travlr

District of Columbia

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance was very dark maroon with a thin white head and great lacing.
Smell was modern ashtray and oak.
Taste was subtle smoke, much more subtle than the bottled version (which is difficult to finish).
Much more drinkable than the bottled version, this one is fairly complex and definitely unique. If you're going to try a rauchbier, it has to be one from Bamberg.

11-14-2009 01:24:02 | More by Travlr