Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros

Aecht Schlenkeria Rauchbier Marzen into imperial pint glass

Pours a dark cola brown that is deep red and very clear when held to
light. A small sand colored head of mainly tiny bubbles sits atop for
a decent length.

Aroma is charcoal, fire pit, smoked sausages, black pepper. Smells
like summertime BBQ, oh yes.

I feel like I'm drinking smoked sausage. Lots of similarity to the
nose, charcoal, burnt woodchips, ground black pepper, a soft malt
sweetness, grilled sausages, honey glazed ham. This shit is crazy.

Mouthfeel is moderate with a fairly aggressive carbonation which gives
it a feel similar to a soda.

This is actually pretty easy drinking stuff. I was a little reluctant
to try this, just because I've never tried a Rauch before, but I dig
it. I would love to pair this up with some grilled brats and burgers.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

I had it at the brewery as on-tap, had in Finland, and in the States as bottles.

In short, think of liquid smoked bacon!
Or you would experience a smoke chamber/ cold campfire on your taste buds.

The smoke smell is just slighty and gives away that something new to your taste will happen. Freshly tap'ed the smoke strikes much better than in the bottle but it is dominant in the background.

Touch of maltiness is on top of the dark smoked beer.

Schlenkerla is a beer for food!
Real german leverwurst, or smoked bacon, fresh dark bread (wodden fire), or simply a bretzel and butter.

The on-tap experience is worth to travel to Bamberg!

4.49/5  rDev +11.1%

I liked the Urbock, this Marzen comes hot on its heels.

Poured into a Stella glass an appealing deep red. The off-white foam retains well, eventually settling to a fine layer.

Nose is of smoked sausage, charcoal, the smell of hot dogs cooking over mesquite coals. Has a primal, universal "meat cooking over open fire" aroma.

The smoked malts land on the palate with a surprisingly deft touch. It's biting, crisply woody, dare I say it, refreshing. Very tasty, this is really good.

While great by itself, would be an obvious pairing for all manner of meats, BBQ'd, smoked or otherwise.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Schlenkerla RauchBier
Smoked Lager
ABV 5.1%

L= 4.5 Deep mahogany brown with a brown 2 finger foamy head.

S= 4.5 There is a ton of things going on with the nose here. There is BBQ on a hot day, charcoal and even hints of lighter fluid! Amazing

T= 4.0 Malty sweetness like a dobblebock up front that leads into smoke, flame, and charcoal

F= 4.5 Surprising light to medium bodied. From the nose you would think that this beer is going to be huge but thank god the flavors back down from the nose.

D= 4.0 (non-session) I could drink this beer next to a campfire all night. The best of its style thus far along my smoked beer journey. It has everything that a smoked beer should have. A true must try for those who have not tried it before.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Dark copper/brown color with ruby highlighting. Pretty thin light tan head, but it does have some staying power. Lots of smokiness in the aroma. Reminded me of a strong smoked cheese and smoked salmon. Smoke dominates the flavor as well. Has some bitterness in the finish, but I'm really having trouble discerning much beyond the smokiness. This stuff is super smooth and goes down very easy. I wish I'd have drank this with my philly sandwich I had for lunch. I'm generally not much for beer with food, but I think this would be perfect with the right meal.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Pours a dark molasses brown color with some moderate tan head that fades rapidly. Bubbles a little... seems carbonated like a soda. Smell is huge as soon the bottle is opened. At first it's almost all smoke, like smoked pork or bacon. Rolls into some darker malts, but still big smoke. Taste follows with some smokeiness and chocolate malt, very interesting. I've never really had anything like this, and I really like it. The smoke is big, though not overpowering. The rye toast/roasted malts come come through as it warms. Big flavors, really good. MF is a bit thin, though not overcarbonated as I expected. Great drinkability, very smooth and interesting. Great beer.

4.16/5  rDev +3%

first off, what an interesting beer. been on my mind for days. so different, so odd, so good?
pours a murky, chocolate color with a one finger tan head. BOOM! that smell hits ya. right away, im reminded of my summer quests involving over smoked venison meat. haha. beef jerky, strong hickory? (it says beechwood on the bottle but it smells just like hickory to me), leather, sausage, pepper, tons of spices and clove. oddly appealing to me. like picking up a dirty shirt and smelling it twice. thankfully the taste is not as strong as the aroma. smoke on the water. light, malty, and slightly sweet. BBQ beer for sure. unique and cool. i wouldn't call this one a sipper, more like a sniffer. ha. get this one if you see it.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Served with a sticky, fluffy head of two fingers, tanned, over a mahogany body. Not much lace. Nose is strongly bacon-like, with notes of open flame and burned wood. Slight sweetness in the flavor that's not present in the nose, some roasted barley in there. The rest of the flavor is heavily smoked, lightly bitter. Herbal hopping component is also noted. Light body with high carbonation. Not so easy to drink due to the unusual nature of the beer, but a solid drink for when you're in the mood for a super-smoky sip.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Light mohagany with a thin white head. Good amount of lacing as it goes down.
Smell is bacon, sausage, barbeque, smoke, and burnt malts. In a perfect world, this beer would accompany an everyday decadent breakfast that includes syrup-drenched sausage and bacon.
Taste is smokey sausage, beef jerky, smokey malts, and BBQ. Very nice.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a perfect level of carbonation.
Very drinkable--I recommend this one before a meatlover's pizza or some german sausage. Excellent beer.

4.69/5  rDev +16.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple fingers of tan head. The aroma is smokey bacon with sweet caramel malt in the background. On the taste I get the caramel malt upfront. The smokiness is subdued in the background but grows as I consume this wonderful beverage. The more I drink the more dark malt flavor comes through as well. The taste of this beer just reminds me of bacon or ham, salty pork.

This is just a fantastic all around beer. I can't help but think of firing up the grill while I'm drinking this. It's too bad there's two feet of snow on the ground with more coming down. I will actively seek out this beer to pair with my cookouts this year. Maybe it's the carnivore in me, but this beer makes me want to consume some lower inhabitants of the food chain!

Happy Mardi Gras!

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Dark copper and ruby. Pretty full, cream colored head.

S - Reminds me of smoked bacon or pork of some kind.

T - Follows the scent, smoked meat (specifically bacon or pork) is dominating flavor. There is a touch of woodiness that comes from the smoky flavor. The background/base of this is caramel/toffee and some roasted malt. This gives a slight sweetness that goes pretty well with the smokiness.

M - Medium body. Fairly creamy, with medium to low carbonation.

D - I had trouble with this. I think that the smokiness would get to be a bit much if I drank more than one or two in a sitting. However, one a day to day basis this would be drinkable.

Notes: I really liked the smoked meat aspect of this beer, but it seems like that would be a bit more subject on the person. I could see this going well in the summer with a barbecue or just some meat in general.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a snifter. Dark brown in appearance with a reddish tint. One finger of white foamy head leaves subtle lacing.

Lots of smokey, roasted malts in the aroma. Almost meaty, with some grains and a hint of sweet port like character. No mistaking that this is a rauchbier.

The flavor follows the aroma with toasted malts, lots of smokey campfire taste and smoked/grilled meat. Graininess comes through a bit, along with hints of chocolate and wood. Most likely the smokiest beer I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is good. Creamy, yet well carbonated and an ample body. Leaves a woody, smokey presence in your mouth.

Drinkability is also pretty good. Quite smokey, so you probably wouldn't want more than a pint or a bottle, but if you're in the mood for this style then you won't be disappointed. I just paired this beer with some well marinated ribs and the combo was excellent.

Overall, this rauchbier delivers. If you're looking for a smoked marzen, then look no further. This brewery hits the nail on the head in terms of staying true to the style. Definitely give it a try if you're at all interested in this type of beer.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked up a bottle of this to bake with some ribs, a bottle to try. Poured into a snifter, revealing ashen white head and a chestnut brown body. Smells like campfire smoke and very strong at that. Some sweet malts come through underneath, but for the most part this is exactly what I'd want a rauchbier to smell like.

Tastes like liquid smoke with a soft malt backbone, slightly sweet and watery smooth. Hints of bitterness come through at the end with burnt smoked tinges. The carbonation is small and pointed at first, but with the light body dies quickly. Decent mouthfeel which also smacks of liquid smoke. Because of the overwhelming smokiness which kills your taste buds, I can't drink more than one. I will, however, enjoy the one I drink.

Overall, this brew is a contender for best in class. Plus, it goes great with/in BBQ.

4.04/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a .5L bottle with a best before date of April 2010 into an imperial pint glass. The appearance is primarily dark brown with a feint redish hue. Head has a nice 2-finger with creamy top. This one really sticks to the glass as the head starts to go down. The smell is mouth-watering. Smoke and more smoke. Smoked sausage. Hickory smoked bacon. A wet, delicious smoke aroma. Did I mention smoke?

The taste certainly measures up to the smell. Delicious smoked malt flavor coats the mouth as the beer swirls across the tongue. Some caramel malt flavors are present in this beer as well. The smoke flavor does not by any means overwhelm, but rather provides a solid overall foundation to the beer. As I drink, conjures up images of smoked breakfast meats. Probably would be a great way to wash down a hearty weekend breakfast. Some other smoked meat flavors in there as well--beef jerkey, for example.

Mouthfeel is nice, although the brew is not quite as thick as the smell might lead one to believe. Nice overall combination of carbonation and smoothness. Drinkability is excellent. A great late morning/early afternoon hearty smoke bomb!

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A very dark beer, black with a hint of brown, seems clear. The head is light beige and leaves rather much lacing.

The smell is mostly burnt moist wood, some dark roasted coffee and a hint of stable and earth.

A sweet tone at first, from dark syrup and dark bread. A hint of coffee and smoked sausage.

The liquid is soft, mild carbonation and overall smoth.

Something to drink by the fire!

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%

Dated: N/A
From LCBO, 500ml

G: Chalice

A: Dark opaque red body with one finger of off white head. Head dissipates rather quickly, but leaves decent lacing.

S: Strong aromas of hickory, raw bacon and burnt wood. This is not something you'd want to smell everyday in a drink, but it doesn't scream breakfast.

T: Follows the aromas quite well but not as strong. Smoked hickory and bacon dominate this brew. I get some sweet maltiness in the back too. I was expecting it to taste strong, but I'm glad it didn't because that would be overkill.

M: Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Silky smooth in the mouth and leaves a dry-smoky aftertaste.

D: I wouldn't be able to drink this unless I'm in the mood for it. As a breakfast beer paired with the obvious bacon I could see this being even better. All in all, it tastes good and if you like or want to try out a smoked beer this is the one.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

I quite eager to pop open my first Rauchbier...

A - Two fingers of perfectly level tightly compact tan head with just a brief moment of retention before fizzing away leaving a full veil of lacing which is thinner in the center with a fuller ring around the edge of the glass... A deep dark brown color... Minimal carbonation with sporadic moderate paced carbonation throughout...

S - No joke here... There is a strong smoked meat aroma... Bacon, Ham, and Lox all come to mind... It's kind of of surprising an overwhelming at first, but quite appealing and less daunting once you get used to it...

T - No surprise, but the hickory smoke dominates the palette... It's kind of hard to detect much else, but deep down there is a layer of typical marzen sweet maltiness... A hint of seltzer...

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied with almost no discernible carbonation... The smokiness permeates and lingers...

D - This one really challenges the senses... It's an enjoying offering and one that I'm happy I tried, but I'm not sure it's repeatable or one that I would seek out purposefully seek out in the future...

4.66/5  rDev +15.3%

$8 at Lord Hobo, Somerville MA. 2/3/10. Served in a Radenburger nonic.

Looks like a beautiful marzen: dark amber color and a large white head. The head quickly collars and dies. Smells like a hickory tree campfire. Tastes like a rich and malty marzen with mesquite BBQ flavors. I love this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a wheat type glass. Dark mahogany with light tan head the hangs around very slowly disapates. Laces somewhat. That great smokey aroma masks any others that might be present. This was the best of the three rauchbiers Aecht offers here. As much as I loved the bock, I thought this was a better melding of smoke and flavors. If you are only going to sample one of these make sure it is this one.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

pour is a deep brown with a touch of red hues, bubbly egg-shell head, more than average carbonation.

smell is definite smokey, beef jerky, hickory, just a bit of something sweet in the background, toffee or caramel.

taste is of smoke, smoke, smoke, malt, wood, oily feel, each taste is a little better than the last, it is shocking at first and then as your taste-buds form to the unique taste it mellows out and is quite pleasant.

From notes 1-12-09

Eye: Crystal clear body, nut brown in color with ruby hightlights. Creamy-frothy tan head that could use better retention but still looks nice enough. Nice lacing, sheets of lace with rings where the beer used to be.

Nose: Definitely smoke...unmistakeable. General wood smokiness, reminds me of smoked meat, but not a specific smoked meat. Kinda like the perfect campfire smoke, like the aroma of clothing after a campfire. You don't like the smoke blowing in your face but you like the way it smells from a distance and the way that your jacket and jeans smell the next day after campfire songs and cooking.

Tongue: Implications of smoked mean...kinda like the smokiness and idea of beef jerky. Just smoke, smoke is big, but it doesn't taste like liquid smoke. Sweet malt underneath supports it all. Some roasted grain bitterness right on the back...works well with the smokiness. Smoke lingers on in the aftertaste, but not like cigarette or cigar smoke, this is pleasant and I'm not anxious to get it out of my mouth or off my palate. Very easy drinking.

Feel and Drinkability: Light leaning towards medium-light in body. Much lighter than what the color would leave you to believe. Spritzy carbonation for something that you'd not thing to have higher and spritzy carbonation. Feels great in the mouth. Levels of the carbonation are in agreement with the weight of the body. It all works. Very nice. Definitely something to check out.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

500ml bottle poured into a Mill St. pint glass.

It's difficult to add to what others have already written for this beer I find, but I'll do a quick run down and add personal touches best I can.

A: dark red amber, clear when held up to the light. Nice light tan head that stick around and leaves some spider web lacing.

S: Yep. Smoked pork. Others have written ham, or smoked salmon, but I think double smoked maple bacon.

T: More bacon! This time though the there's a bready taste going on. Sweet in the middle, but ONLY in the middle. The smoke comes back and there is a lingering breadiness.

M: Medium, but like the taste, there a bready yeastiness that takes over the smoke in the middle.

D: Really good, but slow at first I find. You certainly can't crush this beer no matter how familiar you are with smoke beers. The sweetness and the smokiness demand (I think) that you sip it.

I drank this on its own. And I'd like to try it paired with some spicy food.

I was once at a fancy shmantsy Indian restaurant, and ordered a curried lamb shank. The waiter suggested a smoked Shiraz from India to pair it with. At first I was put off (not knowing much about smoked drinks at the time) and it turned out to be perfect. That's something I'd like to try this with. The sweetness of this beer (and I loves me sweet beers!) needs to be balanced with something spicy, I think. Or maybe some intense German food like a good Bratwurst with spicy saurkraut...just thinking...

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a medium brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very smoky and also contains caramelized malts, lager yeast and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is likewise very smoky as you would expect and it's a smoky flavor that is done quite well unlike many smoked beers. There is also some mild sweetness in the background. The malt character is hearty and the hops presence is mild creating a good balance. The after-taste is also smoky.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representation of style, to me this style is something you have to really be in the mood for or have a good food pairing to go with it, but this beer is the one that you'd want to go for at that time.

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Had at the brewery in Bamberg. Served out of barrel into glass, cool.

A-black walnut body with an off white head.

S-smells like mesquite smoke.

T-smoke front, malt with some nice hop flavor at the end.

M-medium

D-GREAT beer. This is a classic smoked beer. Not overly smoky at all. I would have this beer again.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: This one has a deep red mahogany color with little head. The remaining foam produces light lacing.

Smell: Exceptional smoke and malt aromas.

Tastse: A delightful mixture of smoke, malt, spice and hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and spicy.

Drinkability: Enjoyable. I will be drinking more of these.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla