Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours very dark amber, almost chocolate color
1 finger off white head that lasted pretty long leaving a nice lace
Smells of smoke and dark malt and tastes the same.
The first sip seemed pretty strong smoke but after that my palette got used to it and it really wasn't that bad.
Glad I tried it but once will be enough

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Unusual bottle from Blue Dog in Lansdale, poured into a dimple mug. Crystal clear deep amber liquid, light cream colored head that settles to a thin layer, leaving some sparse lacing. Really nice color. I guess this one isn't bottle conditioned.

Smell is smoky, really hard for me to place anything beyond that. It doesn't smell like smoke meat or something of that sort (at least not to me) but smoky like other smoke beers I have had, which i find very difficult to actually describe.

Taste is similar, it has a bite to it from the smoke, tastes earthy, there is some malt to keep everything afloat.

Mouthfeel was medium light, medium carbonation. No complaints.

Drinkability is high if you like beers like this. Not really my cup of tea but it is nice to try something different every once in a while.

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Dark amber with excellent clarity and a solid creamy off-white head. Appetizing.

Smell: Smoke, meat and wood with faint malty sweetness to balance the savory/earthy qualities. I can't help but think of bacon when I smell this, which is strangely appetizing.

Taste & mouthfeel: Very smoky up front, but not as dominant as the aroma suggests. Malt provides a good balance, though it's not overly sweet. A nice bold hop bitterness melds pleasantly with the smoke in the finish. The light body and crisp carbonation make this one surprisingly drinkable.

This beer pours a semi dark amber with a 1 fingered head with no lacing. The smell! WOW it smells like bacon, like hickory smoked bacon, very original to my palate for a beer but intriguing. The taste is of bacon and malts with hardly any hops flavor. The mouthfeel is pleasant and the carbonation level is nice. Its a nice novelty beer/gag joke (that actually tastes good) but not something I would drink alot of. I got one of these for my brothers wife who puts mayo and bacon on everything she eats! :D

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a cool looking brown bottle with a tan label into a pint glass. Dark brown with ruby highlights and a tan head that slowly dissipates.

As soon as I opened the cap the heavy smoke scent hit me. Reminded me of smoked turkey or ham. Theres also chocolate and roasted malt, and dark coffee.

The smoke brings everything together on the palate quite nicely. First taste is smoke mingling with the roasted malt and chocolate then it finishes with the smoky flavor riding out with a small hop bitterness.

This one was interesting. I'd never had anything like it before. Very tasty and a perfect pairing with sweet BBQ or a smoked turkey sandwich.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear brown with a coppery orange throughout. No head, just a slight ring.
Smell is smoke, like liquid beef jerky (low sodium), hint of malt and yeast.
Taste is smoked meat, light malt, yeast hops, peat.
Slightly warming in the throat. Smooth medium bodied brew. Very light effervescence. I really like this style but the other offerings from this brewer are better, the Weizen somewhat, the Urbock much more so.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into my Einbecker Ur-bock glass on the day before my first day of work at a new job.

Pours a transparent coca-cola brown with a fluffy cream head.

Massive aroma of hickory and smoke. Perhaps a bit meaty as well.

The aroma was a bit strong, but the taste is a bit softer making for a bit more drinkable brew. The flavors of wood and smoke really do come together nicely. A nice bready malt backbone is apparent, but is second fiddle to the smoke.

Light bodied and mildly carbonated.

A fine beer, and unique to me. The flavor is not overpowering by any means, but I can only do so much smoke.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Re-review: orig was shipped from Indy. This was one driving back during Xmas. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle (no dating info) into a pint glass. It was a reddish caramel color and had a tall light beige head. It slowly settled into a broken foam with a collar. Excellent carbonation and some lacing.

The aroma was bam in your face smoke. Just pouring filled that part of the room with campfire smoke smell. I love rauchbiers and have been dying to try this one for awhile. The aroma is one of my favorite parts of the style and this one doesn't disappoint. I saw the Thirsty Traveler on German beers that featured this one. Good story on the beech wood smoking. Campfire in a bottle. The taste was excellent (glad I got another bottle as this one was much better in the taste dept. I think the summer heat affected the original). Great smoky flavor but the base beer was very good as well. Starts off smooth and then the smokiness hits about halfway thru the drink. Not overpowering but with a great balance. This would go great with BBQ or smoked meat/fish. Can't want to try their other varieties as well. Mouthfeel was good.

Overall, an excellent that I highly recommend. Great example of the style. Only wish it was available here. Would be part of the semi regular rotation if here. Since it's not it's a definite pickup every time I go to Indy. Look forward to others by them.

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

A- Very dark amber color, no sediment, great head and sticky lacing.

S- This smells like walking into my local meat market, bacon, venison and campfire.

T- big meat smokiness, venison, very dark dry chocolate maltiness.

M- Very low carb but great taste and finish.

D- What an amazing beer. Easily drinkable and will pair amazingly with meats. I intend to always have a couple of these in my fridge. Wow...

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

wow. i feel like i just got back from a BBQ. this is my first "smoke beer". poured very dark in the glass. you can just barely see some light through it. good carbonation and about one half inch head. aroma is of smoke and rich roasted malt. taste is surprisingly smooth and lighter finish than what the smell suggested. excellent lacing down the glass. this beer is lighter than expected but i dont think that this is a good style for me.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Had on tap at the old bierhall in Bamberg. The beer is clear dark copper with interesting highlights. The head is thin & tan and slightly rocky. The smell is smoke, burnt caramel, pepper, and hops. And smoke. And more smoke. It tastes of warm scotch, caramel, a touch of mint, and a smoky but not overpoweringly so finish. Plus more smoke. The mouthfeel is slick & very smooth but just a bit watery. Very little carbonation. It is drinkable beer, with a good balance of sweetness & smoke. After a while, the smoke builds up & its just too much for me. Rauchbiers are interesting but they are for someone else. If you like them, go to Bamberg. You won't be dissappointed.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

1 pt 9 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.
A: Nice mahogany brown color, somewhat bright. Pours with a one-inch layer of very light brown head with some frothy bubbles.
S: Warm and sweet, plenty of caramel malts with some smoky scents, too.
T: Soft malt flavors, somewhat sweet, kinda earthy at first. Then the bitterer smoky flavors take over and lead into a finish that has some sugary, leafy and faintly hoppy. Not a bad taste, but I expected the malts to be a little more prevalent and the smokiness a little smoother.
M: Okay, mostly wet and satisfyingly quaffable, but with a noticeable alcohol presence in the finish.
D: Pretty good, barring the alcohol tingle.

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

500ml bottle into Scandanavian mug.

Deep orange hue, ranging toward mahogany, with organe hightlights at the bottom of the mug. A one finger tan head slowly settles to a thin cap.

A light smokey aroma with a distinct smell of bacon. A tiny bit of grain sneaks through.

The grain makes a little bigger appearance in the flavor. The smokiness in there as full, also giving a little bit of bacon flavor. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. The finish is the smoke flavor, which in the end, tastes more like smoke.

I only have only had one other Rauchbier, which was from the same brewery, and I prefer that one. The other one tasting more like beef jerky rather than bacon. This one isn't bad, seems to be balanced without having overpowering smoke flavor. I think the smokiness goes better with the thickness of the "bockier" beer. Recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

I did not expect anything good, because I bought it rather cheap in Coop in Switzerland. Glad I was wrong, the beer is magnificent.

Pours dark brown, almost non-existant tan head, maybe I poured it too carefully. The aroma is malty and slightly smoky - the real smoke is in the aftertaste. Mildly carbonated.

Although the beer is excellent, that smoky taste is too much for more than one beer.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

bottle date unknown. poured into shaped pint glass.

dark brownish amber, ruby clear under the light. decent head soon fades to sudsy layer. lacing minimal.

smokiness is fainter than expected, like a smoked ham. not much else.

flavor is sweet and malty with mild smoke flavor, again savory like ham. mild bitterness fades w finish which is also faintly smoky.

not thick, but pretty smooth. moderate carb.

not as flavorful and complex as i had imagined in my mind. oh well.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a dark brown color with ruby highlights with a dense off-white head the quickly dissipates into a light ring. The aroma is of liquid smoke, charred soy marinated meat, wet burnt wood. Big smoke flavors, charred malt, roasted meat, a touch of soy sauce; the total campfire experience. The feel is fairly light for such a heavy flavored beer. I would like to have a little more malt body to help handle the intense smoke flavors. Great smoke flavors in this brew. It pretty much emcompasses the whole beer. I would like to see a heavier (non-smoked) malt to balance the smoke and add some additional flavor.

Had this at Novare Res in Portland. Served in a seidel, it was a dark brown color with red highlights. The head was off-white and thick, and left some great lacing. The aroma was definitely smoky, in a good way, as well as some caramel. The taste echoed the aroma. There was a little mild hop taste later. A smooth, enjoyable beer.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

16.9 oz brown bottle. The beer poured a dark brown with a tan head. You can smell it from 3 feet away, wood smoke, bacon slightly charred malts.

The beer is great. Lots of wood (Beachwood per the label) smoke upfront followed by semi sweet malts, raisins and bacon. Yummy!

The mouth is thinner than expected but seems to be just thick enough.

This is a good beer, session beer no, tasty beer yes!! May have the strongest smoke taste of any smoked beer I have ever had.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Dark brown, deep red and clear when held up to light, poured with a thick foamy head that receded to a thick layer of sticky head, leaving substantial lace.

S: Smoke. Sweet, but definite smoked-meat type smoke. Some peat. Very appealing to me as a BBQ lover.

T: Smooth and gentle, sweet subtle smokiness. Don't get me wrong, this beer has a substantial amount of smoke, but it is not overpowering at all, very pleasant and appealing. The smokiness hits first and sustains, but there is a great caramel malt flavor that joins in the middle to balance out the bitter smoky flavors. Awesome.

M: Very smooth, carbonation perfect, medium/thick bodied, excellent.

D: I can't wait to have a few of these with ribs or pulled pork. I wouldn't want more than a few, but hard to stop once you start.

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a bottle into a glass

A- Coca-cola brown with a nice creamy head that settled to a 1/4 inch

S-Smoke scent is very dominant in this one but I thought I picked up a sweeter scent perhaps a maple or plum scent.

T-Not too much here just an overwhelming smoke smell when you drink this.

M/D-This has a bite on the front and after that it goes down smooth. The smoke scent is something that for me is too overwhelming. I would like to try the other brands before giving up on this one.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pint .09 fl oz. bottle into a dimpled Lowenbrau mug.

A slightly aggressive pour produces a billowing, custard head that retains well and slowly recedes to a thick cap of foam. Excellent carbonation bubbles up through the clear, darkened amber body. Per style, I can't imagine Aecht Schlenkerla smelling any better. Wafts of hickory-cured ham, campfire smoke, beef jerkey, and some toasted chocolate malts combine to make for a unique nose.

I concede that Rauchbier isn't my style of choice, but the flavor is intriguing to say the least. Dusty, earthen malts up front are followed by a blast of beefy smoke. A kiss of green, peppery hops light up the back of the palate on the finish. Body is lighter than I anticipated, but is smooth and semi-creamy, with a perfect carbonation level. This was a good beer experience, and one I look forward to having again. I'd love to see how this Rauchbier pairs with some grilled meat or dark chocolate.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

My boss took a business trip to Germany and brought us all back different beers. I got this one. Got home, made myself some smoked bratwursts and poured this 1pt 9oz baby into a snifter. Absolutely gorgeous ruby color and lacing up and down the glass. The smell is what my clothes smell like after a great night in front of an outdoor fire. The taste is a sweet smokey flavor that I find absolutely delicious.

I love smoked food and this is just the absolute perfect pairing for a night outside with some friends and a smoker. Wonderful.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Never had a beer like this. I read the other reviews and was scared to try it because of the "smoky" taste. I actually like the smoky taste. The smoke is more of an aftertaste. You taste the smoke more when you breath out after a sip (kind of weird). I'll pick this one up again.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

My first rauchbier. Poured it into a rather wide hefeweizen glass.
A - Deep brown color. Short tan head, don't think I poured this correctly.
S - smokey aged meat. Like beef jerky.
T - Tastes smokey... I even coughed a little after drinking it haha. Well it's more meaty in the smell than the flavor. The malts are well smokey and the hops provide a slight tingly finish.
M - Feels thin in comparison to its flavor and smell.
D - Goes down fairly well... Damn I wish I had some bbq with this. Certainly an experience.

Edit: had to lower my drinkability score; on a more opinionated note I found it harder to drink this as it warmed and the flavors intensified, just a bit too intense for me and not sessionable, turned into a sipper... however, again because this is such an interesting style and more likely a great interpretation of it, it is a decent brew, just not something I would look too hard for, but if I was at a bbq this would be a nice surprise to accompany some well cooked meats...

I remember the first time I had this beer, I could not believe that it was actually made to taste this way. I had a hard time getting used to it. But that was a few years ago, and I have come to think of this beer as eating something that has been smoked (duh). Aecht Rauchbier Marzen pours with a lightly tanned head, not much retention or lacing. Has a dark nut brown color.

The smell of this beer always reminds me of smoked fish. Their is very little else going on (that I can detect) cause the smoked meat/fish scent is so strong but I love it.

Tastes very similar to smoked meats (bacon comes to mind), some hop bitterness and sweet malts.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla