Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,953 | Reviews: 1,024
3.88/5  rDev -4%

oldr bottle from k's going out of business sale.

dark almost black, but clearly a clean filtered red in the light, tan head with reasonable standing power.

Smells like peppered smoked meat, like a deli.

taste is smoky, smooth and a little sweet, a bit of bitterness in the main flavor, no floral, "the sensation of bitterness" -Andre

As you aerate it in your mouth, the smokiness appears. It is smooth, not think, pleasent in the mouth and interesting to drink and discuss.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Pours a brown, burnt color with a couple inches of tan head. Nearly opaque.
Our smell here is extremely smokey like the smell of frying bacon.
Taste is very smoked with some hints of malt, chocolate, and most definitely smoked meat/bacon.
Extremely bold flavor, the bacon flavor stays will me and under the right conditions is good that way.
Very smooth, the bacon flavor may hold some up.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

From the 1 pt. 09 fl. oz. bottle with no date or lot number available. Sampled on April 27, 2009. Outside temperature of 70-degrees Farenheit. The pour is a slightly cloudy brown with a tremendous amount of foamy tan head that bubbles until the end and never really goes away. The aroma is spectacular like nothing else I have smelled. It is like smoked cheddar cheese. Malts and hops play second fiddle to the amazing smoky aroma. The mouthfeel is medoium to bold and kind of creamy. The taste is an intricate balance of smoked malts and wheat. This is probably the best wheat beer I have ever had.

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%

I've always really liked the beer from this brewery, and I think they set the standards for Rauchbier for everyone else. These beers are international treasures and should be appreciated for what they are. Pours a slightly reddish dark brown with a very loosely beaded head that fades to a ring. Absolutely scrumptious aroma of ethereal woodsmoke and tangy malt. The taste has plenty of that same woodsmoke as well as a slightly sour graininess and a long bitter, almost tannic finish. At mid taste the malts are smooth and creamy. Quite lovely, and very firm. Great by itself, but a wonderful food beer. Try it with somke roast pork and potatos or with some sharp cheddar cheese.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

My first rauchbier and I'm not ashamed to say I'm a little intimidated. Lets give 'er a go.
Pours a deep, clear mahogany with beautiful ruby red highlights. Two finger light tan, rocky head with some nice retention. No sings of carbonation. Small amount of light, delicate, patchy lacing.
Pulled pork, ham, bacon, and smokey fireword upfront in the nose with a hint of sweet malt. Mouthwatering. Reminds me of the small BBQ restaurants in Kentucky where all of these smells are in the air.
Taste somewhat subdued comapared to the smell. Smoked pork, bacon and ham upfront followed by a very sublte hint of fruit. Dry, smokey finish with a touch of buttery malts.
Clean, dry and well balanced. Highly drinkable.

Overall, a remarkable brew. Very happy I picked this one up. The smoked meats in the nose really get the salivary glands going. Nothing overpowering and very well balanced. Paired this with some cheddar cheese and man was that ever good. It would be interesting having another rauchbier and compare the two, but unfortunately, this is the only one available in my area, atleast for the time being. Don't be intimidated by the fact that this is a smoked beer. Highly recommended.

4.14/5  rDev +2.5%

Bone white head, very thin with a pool of large bubbles in the middle, no lacing to be had. Dark brown to mahogany red in hue, close to full transparency, though, very consistent hue. Like, duh, the nose is very smoky, like a dry kindling fire, crispy bacon, touch of molasses like slow roast pulled pork, some pine resin as well, toasty sourdough, solid nuttiness too, some grape to cherry fruit scents, no citrus really. Light to medium-bodied but that smokiness is so bodacious it just fills the mouth. Bacon, beef jerky, saltlick quite obvious. It's interesting to taste a liquid so woody yet with no hint of oak barrel treatment. There's a light bitterness which teases out a moment of white grapefruit. Conversely, not without sweet notes of molasses, honey and caramelized brown sugar. Green raisin to fig fruit in minute portions. The finish swirls with persistent smokiness, it doesn't leave until you intentionally put something else in your mouth to tame it.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured dark brown into a wide beer stein. Thin, dark beige head looks like meringue.

Aroma is very smokey right upfront. Bacon and beef jerkey immediately come to mind. Barbequed ribs. Spicey too; cinnamon, coriander. Smells like smokey bbq sauce.

Tastes much like the smell and doesn't dissapoint for smoke flavour. Much sweeter than it is bitter. Classic german malts; finish is very dry and very smokey.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is pretty soft, with a medium mouthfeel. This beer is pretty chewy.

Recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Deep, clear chestnut color; ruby edges. Poured a 1 finger tan head that dissipated to an even skim. Even, heavy lacing.

S: Big, resiny woodsmooke predominates the smell. Malt is well in the background.

T: Smoked cheese is the first thing that comes in. After several drinks more malt character comes through; bitter roasted nuts and semi-sweet caramel. Sharp bitter in the finish for a nice balance.

M: Medium body. Balanced carbonation. Very smooth and velvety.

D: Changed by mind the more I drank as I got more familiar with the smokey flavor. This would be a great beer to drink if you're munching on a snack tray.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A -- Deep and clear walnut color with a firm, persistent, light tan head.

S -- Smoky, quaint-old-home-with-a-fireplace aroma. Not bacon or ham, but a wood-fire aroma that is quite inviting. Vague DMS when the head is agitated.

T -- Same smokiness in the flavor with some mild malt or bready sweetness in the middle, finishing quite dry and slightly (dare I say) roasty. The woody smokiness lingers in the aftertaste with some slight dark fruit characters back.

M -- Soft and smooth mouth-feel with a light-medium body.

D -- I can tell you that, when fresh, Rauchbier is highly drinkable through an evening of stube-hopping around Bamberg. I've never tried more than one bottle in a sitting here in the States, but I just might soon.

3.92/5  rDev -3%

Had on tap in their restaurant in Nürnberg.

Dark brown, clear liquid, with an offwhite fluffy head. Strong bacon smell, covering everything but a hint of woodsiness. The beef jerky taste just keeps coming. Upfront there is some bready maltiness, but then the jerky takes over and lingers in the finish. Very intriguing, but not as rich and balanced as their fastenbier.

4.14/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a caramel brown color. With a very subtle head that fades quickly.

can def smell the beachwood smokiness. Reminds me of a nice smoked meat smell also a little sweetness.

The smokiness follows through to the taste. It is present from front to back in this guy hanging around in front with the very light malty sweetness, and finishing with a spicy smoke.

Very unique beer. Would love to have one of these next time I'm having pastrami or some good smoked barbecue

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear copper color. Small head that fades quickly.
The smell of this beer is absolutely exquisite. Like Barbie Q ribs over a camp fire. Sure, Camp Leader S. Johannson might be tutoring Kenny J. With the Lisp out in the woods, but I can't worry about that right now. I'm smelling something wonderful.
Taste is smokey, wonderful, BBQ ribs. Campfire smoke up my nose, and onto my tongue. This beer is lovely.
The mouthfeel is good- smooth and crisp.
I could drink this all night, so long as I was hungry, and in the mood for an exceptionally tasty beer.

3.92/5  rDev -3%

A nice light brown color, some ruby highlights, dark in the middle, fairly clear, with a thin 1cm head. Loose bubbles, collapses to a thin swirl, very little lacing. Looks about how I'd expect. Smell is definitely is smoked, very smoked, but this one is more woody than the first I tried, and much less meaty, still some burnt pork, like BBQ, but with a distinct malt sweetness underneath. Again, a good smell for a rauchbeir, though its hard to look past the fresh wood smoke smell, like ashes. The taste comes across first with the woody smoke, like eating smoked meat, without the meat underneath. Definitely a very interesting taste, but I think this one is much more palatable for me than other rauchbiers, and I think this one is what thay're all shooting for. I really only get wood smoke though, sometimes like cooked meat, sometimes like raw wood pulp, there's a light malty finish with a bit of sweetness, but nothing impressive. The smoke is king here, and its pleasant. The carbonation is nice, makes it more interesting for me, otherwise this is kind of like liquid smoke. It's in a nice place between thick and thin, good body though. The drink is nice, I suppose very good for a smoked beer and the alcohol doesn't get you, but in the overall scheme of beers, this just isn't easy to drink. I'm interested in the flavors, though I think that lasts briefly, and the one-dimensionality will force me to slow down and lose interest. Worth a shot for those who are interested.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance - pours a dark iced tea color, a thin covering that puts up some surprisingly large swaths of lace.

Aroma - very smoky grain, soft and intense at the same time. Like liquid smoke, but with a grainy sweetness. This barbecuing individual digs it.

Taste - caramelly grain, a light sweetness, and a large but tasty smokiness. Some anise flavor in there which could be a combination of the smoke and malt. The swallow and finish have a touch of sweetness to offset the smoke, but is still primarily smoky.

Mouthfeel - smooth with a lighter than average crispness. A good sturdy body.

Drinkability - a tasty brew if you like your smoke cold and wet. As the temps begin to warm, this is the push I need to get the smoker ready for the season's first conquest, a ten pound brisket. Chomp!

4.08/5  rDev +1%

My 1st Rauchbier and I have to be honest I was kind of scared. After reading other reviews, I was unsure if I actually wanted to drink this beer. Here is my review

a- Nice brown/ruby color with little to no head and hardly any lacing

s- Smell is of ham and bacon. As the beer warms I get some sweetness of malt and some hop aroma.

t- Taste is of a smoky ham with slight bitterness of hops. The malt kicks you in the back of the mouth once it goes down. The veer is very drinkable.

m- Nice slick taste that the more I drink the more I crave. Not too carbonated.

d- For the fact that I was scared of this beer and the smell of bacon and smoky ham, I could drink these all day. At 5.4% I could really have a number of these.

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Presentation - Brown bottle with German style writing on it labeled Marzen.

Appearance - A medium brown color, in volume this fades to dark brownish, several shades from black. Fluffy tan head rises to a finger then retreats to a small cap. Heavy lacing up the sides of my stein.

Smell - Wow! I got a big ass waft of smoked cheese smell! It smelled so familiar I went and got my hickory smoked gouda, my apple smoked gruyere, and for a good measure a sharp chedder infused with English porter. There's a faint malt smell as well, a lighter, sweet sort of aroma.

Taste - First gulp and there's nothing but smoke, smoke like smoked cheese or smoked meat. However, on subsequent sips, there are several other flavors that come through. There's a malt character, semi-sweet and a bit roasty. There's also a distinct hop bitterness, overlayed with the smoke. But the smoke is delicate now, just a finishing note on top of a lovely tasting german beer.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, with medium carbonation and a substantial feel, like you could take a bite out of it.

Drinkability - Actually pretty high. I wouldn't want to pound five of them but I could certainly have another pint of the stuff. Goes marvelous with smoked cheese.

All together very pleasing. I was worried I wouldn't appreciate the flavor, but like everything else smoked, I seem to love this beer. I'm now glad I got their wheat rauchbier too.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle. No freshness date.

A - A fantastic cherry red hue with a nice pearl head. Slightly frothy and lacy. Beautiful.

S - I smell a campfire on the beach. A sun sets... the air has a cool breeze... oh! The scent is pungent, but not over bearing. It is quite welcoming to say the least. There is a hint of roasted twig tea, and the mild aroma of something sweet from the malts.

T - A nice slick texture that feels clean and smooth. The smoke flavor opens the sinuses instantly. The smokey flavoring hits you right up front, followed nicely with a mild sweetness that trails behind. I taste a nice maple flavor and balanced with the hops that give it zip. The more I drink this the more I taste some walnut flavor.

M - Smooth, a medium body that is silky, not too carbonated.

D - I will be buying more of this. It was more than a pleasure to drink. This would go very well with a veggie burger grilled on an old coal bbq topped with caramelized onions.

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance - Dark brown with reddish tinges along the side of the glass. Has a persistent, off-white head with nice lacing.
Smell - Smoke and caramel malts.
Taste - Very smokey, so much so that it becomes overpowering.
Mouthfeel - A light to medium body with light carbonation and a smooth finish gives this a pleasing mouthfeel, though it seemed somewhat flat since there wasn't much of a bite at the finish.
Drinkability - An easy beer to drink, but not one I particularly wanted to drink a full bottle of.
An interesting change of pace, but one that didn't deliver as hoped. It didn't complement the sausage I had with it as well as most other beers I've had in the past. Specifically, there wasn't much of an interplay of flavors, just an overpowering smokiness.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark, brown clear beer with minimal head that dissipates without any lacing.

S: Wonderful malt character intermixing with a smokey-sweet nose.

T: Has a very malt-forward initial taste (from the Marzen) that slowly fades into the smokey flavor that rides out the rest of the taste. Minimal hop flavor. Finished dry with a considerably clean edge. Minimal carbonation with a mid-body feel to it.

O: I am very preferrential to this beer. While Marzens are probably my favorite style, the addition of the Rauch malt to this makes it even better. Smokey, but not over the top. Take the chance - give it a try.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Served in a Chimay glass at 13.3°C

A: Very dark red. Almost like red wine around the edges. Looks very elegant! Tan head, doesn't last for long - fine lacing though.

S: Coffee and tobacco. Smoked malt (no shit), smoked ham and dark meat dishes. A bit salty nose.

T: Woah! I'm usually not a big fan of smoked beers (my Nils Oscar Rökporter review, for example, were among my worst reviews), but this one is...just wow. Once again coffee and smoked ham. Salty roastiness and very subtle bittering hops. Outstanding to say the least

M: Thick, but mild despite the saltiness. Usually I think the smoke flavor takes too much space in rauchbiers, but it never does with this beer imho.

D: Very good for this style, but you can't drink too many in one sitting

Conclusion: Great rauchbier! It's beers like Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier that make beer tasting so exciting, inspiring and fascinating! Dark red liquid with tan lacing and coffee and tobacco smell. Smokey overall smell/aroma/flavor, but not overwhelming compared to other brews in the style. Smoked ham, salty meat dishes and coffee are the greatest characteristics of the taste. Would work great with (obviously) smoked dishes, pork and fish (smoked mackerel comes to mind) or even ye ole' BBQ.

2.71/5  rDev -32.9%

This beer pours a very pretty, clear, deep amber/red with a small white head. The nose has lots of bacon and smoke and that's about it.

The tastes starts off with lots of bacon and/or country ham. There is a bit of hop flavor afterwards and some bitterness, followed by some smokiness in the back of your nostrils afterwards. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit slick with medium/high carbonation.

Overall, I really couldn't stomach much of this beer. It felt like drinking bacon grease or something. It was interesting, and fun to try, but not a beer I can drink much of.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a deep, molassas color with a very small head that simmers into almost nothing. I was happily suprised by the dark color.

smells amazing. smoked malts dominate the nose with nice subtle notes of spices...

tastes incredible. rich delicious malts up front with a nice smokey aftertaste. the smoke flavor is strong enough for it to be noticable, but subtle enough for it to keep your palate clean. the aftertaste is plesant. barley any hops noticable on this one. i everything about it (marzens are one of my favorite styles, rauchbiers are also one of my favorites...you get the idea)

drinkability is great. if i could find enough of these id drink em like crazy

overall- when i saw this at the local corner store i almost screamed with excitement. I only found out about these recently. My girlfriend said it best: "It's like two of your favorite beers got together and had a baby". If you like marzens and/or rauchbiers be sure to get as many of these as you can.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Opened 1 pint .09 fl. Oz Bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Forms a low head that forms a light lace across the top of a clear dark tea brown brew with some bubble action.

Smell is smoke with some savory bacon notes. Taste is quite smokey (which I like) with again, bacon. A little yeast and malt, almost like a good southern breakfast. If they could engineer a side of grits and some gravy into this monster, I'd never drink another brew. This hints of black peppery spice really boost this brew.

But seriously, finish is nice with a little smokey aftertaste. I have had other marzens and this one by far is one of the best, although it is more of a Rauchbier. Drink slow unless you want your burps to smell like the Pit's at Cooper's B-B-Q in Llano, Texas (I miss that place)

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: very small head, low carb, clear, leather brown

Smell: pepper, malt, and beef jerky

Taste: pepper, malt, and beef jerky

Mouthfeel: smooth, light, sharp middle, and sour finish

Drinkability: I love rauchbier and this is one of the kings...Not quite as good as their urbock, but an excellent example of the style.

1.89/5  rDev -53.2%

After a good review from a friend and seeing a story on the brewery on tv i was excited to try this beer. I could not have imagined that after 350 reviews that this would be my first drain pour. Maybe I have weird taste buts but this almost made me sick.

This poured a beautiful dark ruby with a thin white head. The smell was of super strong wood smoke. It smelled liek burning rubber and at times it smelled like burnt BBQ. THe flavor was of burnt BBQ ribs. While the taste was not quite as bad as the smell it was still nasty. Tasted like rubber that was burnt to shit.
Feel was thin and carbonated.

This isn't working for me.

Again, maybe my tastebuds were weird that night or maybe it was a bad bottle.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla