Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros

I remember the first time I had this beer, I could not believe that it was actually made to taste this way. I had a hard time getting used to it. But that was a few years ago, and I have come to think of this beer as eating something that has been smoked (duh). Aecht Rauchbier Marzen pours with a lightly tanned head, not much retention or lacing. Has a dark nut brown color.

The smell of this beer always reminds me of smoked fish. Their is very little else going on (that I can detect) cause the smoked meat/fish scent is so strong but I love it.

Tastes very similar to smoked meats (bacon comes to mind), some hop bitterness and sweet malts.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

very dark ruby brown in my mug. i couldn't coax too much of ahead out of it, but the small one i managed was light tan.
the aroma is like smoked sausage on a campfire, with some nutty/toffee smoothness thrown in.
the taste is smokey of course, with a hickory smoked bacon or grilled sausage flavor. beneath is a smooth nuttiness that brings a pleasing sort of balance to this beer. the end is bitter and with a dry lager-like finish. with warmth some more traditional marzen flavors come out, some sweeter caramels and the like.
the body is a little thin on this one in my opinion, with a moderate carbonation in all respects.
drinkability on most rachbiers won't ever be more than a 4 for me, they're too potent, but usually and in the case of this one, it's not in any sort of negative way, it's just stops you from gulping it. keeping this in mind though, the urbock beer by this brewery is better and more potent smoke-wise in my opinion.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Forms a nice enough head, medium sized bubbles that hold together pretty well, the larger bubbles disappate after a little while forming a thin, tight head.

Color is a dark red, edging on brown.

Smells somewhat like smoked ham, delicious!

The smoked ham flavor comes up and fills the mouth, leaving a wonderful aftertaste. Pleasant bitterness, pretty much spot on.

I get the impression of smoke when I exhale, I can only imagine what my breath smells like!

Very little in the way of mouthfeel, leaves a residual smokiness, but very ethereal. Probably a good thing - you get a nice dose of smoke and then it fades away. After the initial tasting, one is pretty much inured against the smoke and gets mostly the impression of it.

This is surprisingly drinkable. I thought would have trouble choking it down, but the way the smoke presents itself is extremely approachable. I doubt I'd drink it often, but it was well worth the price of admission.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

pint bottle poured into a nonic pint. pours a clear deep garnet/brown color with garnet highlights. a half finger of tan head tops it off after a hard pour. no lacings.

aroma is distinctly smoked, and is reminiscent of barbacue sauce in character. a note of hickory and black pepper give the brew a tangy profile, while a distant malt note is the nly evidence that this is a beer.

taste is smoked and of caramel malt up front, while the finish is lightly tangy and spicy from the hickory and pepper notes. like a summer BBQ in a bottle. the smoke adds a wonderful feel to the profile, while the caramel malts give it a base. nicely proportioned, with just enough smoke.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and semi dry from the smoke, with a smooth and silky texture. finishes semi dry with residual smoke and spice.

drinkability is great. this is a very distinct and unique brew. the smoked flavors give it a meaty profile, while the malts balance out the spice from the smoke. the aftertaste is reminiscent of beef jerky. this could very well be a polarizing brew because of the flavors present, but the proportioning and profile are excellent nonetheless. cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +20%

12oz poured into mug from tap, price was only thing that hurt this beautiful beer. Poured perfectly into a goblet.

A: Dark dark brown with tremendous lacing that was non-stop sticky.

N: BBQ ribs with a background of smoky malts. Nothing short of a memorial day grill with smoked bacon, would go great with eggs. The smoke is delectable.

T: Sublime. Smoked bacon over and over again- no more no less. This is one outstanding piece off work when done well. There are many rauchbiers out there but noone can pull it off like this one. What a treat. Beautfiful with sauerkraut and a German meal.

M: Creamy and malty. Coating to the mouth with the smoothest of malt flavors building through the beer.

D: Sure its a bit like a meal but it is incredibly smooth and surely hit or miss to most. You either love it or hate it and I love it. An all time favorite.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Medium sized light brown head with good lace. The body is clear and reddish brown.

S - Meaty and smoky, reminicent of smoked sausage.

T - Strong smoke flavor up front with some roasted malt peaking out from behind. Somewhat peppery with notes of charcoal.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation and a dry, slightly astringent finish.

D - This is an unusual and very savory beer. It is an excellent example of the style, and while it may be a difficult taste to aquire, it's a great beer when you're in the right mood.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: A moderate pour from a 500ml bottle into an imperial pint glass yields a small amount of head that disappears rapidly. The beer is dark brown with hints of mahogany along the edges.

S: If I had my eyes closed, I'd swear I was smelling smoked sausages! One of the most mouthwatering beers I've ever smelled.

T: Smoke dominates the taste, with decent hop balance showing up late. There's a bit of burnt sugar hiding in the smoke and some persistent bitterness lingering in the aftertaste.

M: A bit thin on the tongue with low-moderate carbonation. The bitterness in the aftertaste is just a bit metallic.

D: An interesting beer for something different. Not something I'd drink every day, but I'd love to have another with some smoked sausage and German potato salad.

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

Sampled from the wooden casks at the Heller-Trum Wirtshaus Zum Schlenkerla in Bamberg, Germany.

Appearance: Big, fluffy whitish-head, dark amber color, without strong carbonation obvious. Even has a hazy, smoky look, if you will.

Smell: Smoked meats, savory, porky smell. Much like a smoked ham hock... almost salty. Fresh smell.

Tastes: Smoked malt kick to the face... though smokiness becomes less pronounced as you drink (presumably through numbing of the tastebuds. Cleaner and fresher than the bottle, with an aftertaste of ashy wood. Similar smoked, salted, spiced meaty flavor throughout from beginning to end. Finish is not dry, but slightly warming and certainly smoky.

Mouthfeel: From the wooden cask, so the carbonation is rather restrained. Smooth, silky-bodied with somewhat watery mouthfeel... akin to a nice, fresh lager.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable, with somewhate less smokiness than the bottled version, and a great balance of smoke with the hops. Beautiful beer fresh from the casks and a world class experience at Heller Trum in Bamberg...

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

I had this some time ago and am reviewing from very, very distinct memory.

Dark reddish brown color, smells of liquid smoke and more smoke. In the nose that's not so bad, but man the smokiness is just too much on the palate. Smells of liquid smoke = nice. Tastes like liquid smoke = not so nice. There is some caramel malt sweetness to it, too, but the smokiness was too much for me.

This is not a style I care to delve much more deeply into. Some beers are an acquired taste. This is not one I think I care to acqure.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

My first Rauchbier, hey Josh, you have some serious catching up to do.

1 pt. 09 fl. oz poured into a stange.

Pours a dark ruby hue with a one finger light khaki colored head that dies down to a fluffy layer of bubbles. Spotty lacing is left on the sides of the glass. Smell is beef jerky and campfire smoke with a hint of sweet molasses. Lots of roasted grains and a bit of caramel malt in the nose as well. I have never smelled anything like this before, let's see how this one tastes. Taste begins with a smoked kielbasa that was cooked while tailgating truthfully in the parking lot of Ralph Wilson stadium. Midway a bit of brown sugar sweetness tickles the tongue, ending with a charred oak like aftertaste that's on the dry side. Medium to full body with a creamy smooth feel. Carbonation is fairly low, but fits the beer very well. This beer really improves as it warms, the flavors seem to be more pronounced. To be honest, before I even opened this bottle I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish this beer. I would be in heaven if Dinosaur BBQ downtown had this on hand. Drunken Spicy Shrimp, Tres Hombre, and Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen may just be the perfect combination...I may have to get another bottle of this and some Dinosaur take out VERY soon.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Poured a dark cranberry-amber color with a 1 finger macro-bubbly head that dissipated quickly. Visible carbonation was light.

S: rich smokiness with smoked meat and spicy slim jim notes.

T: a beautiful smoked meat flavor from the huge amounts of weyermann smoked malt. There was light scorched malt and along with bacon hints as well. There was a fresh smokiness with a rich, dark dry scorched caramel that was smooth with light earthy mineral notes in the finish. There was as well a light scorced malt residual lacing and fade but was rather quick in nature.

M: light, oily, with a light smokiness and charred woodiness on the swallow. Carbonation was very soft.

D: Very good drinkability making for a great smoky treat. The first time I had this I was literally shocked by the pronounced huge flavor. Now having and enjoying this beer and style several times it is perhaps one of the finest and smoothest by nature and a prime example. Extremely smooth and easy to consume once you are accustomed to its unique and straightforward flavor and only gets easy and better after every tasting.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

500ml bottle
I tried this beer on January 28, 2008 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto. The beer poured a brownish-black into the glass with minimal head, and an 'oily' look. The aroma was smoked wood, as well as some roasted malty tones. The mouthfeel was light bodied, almost watery, yet creamy, with little carbonation. The flavour was very much like burnt bacon and burnt coffee.

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

heres to review number 296 which gives me 1000 Karma!

A- poured a dark dark ruby wiht a off-white tan that built up pretty quickly and gave a decent amount of lacing on top as well.

S- much less smoked than the hefe- version, prolly due to a much longer maturation of the beer. a solid maltiness to it that gives it slight sweetness to it (if you discount the smoky character)

T- a wonderful version of the beer, the hefe was way too smoked but this is just spectacular, a wonderderful blend of maltiness and smoky character all over. the blending of malt and smoke i couldnt say more about, lightly smoky on the finish which turns to a slightly sweet finish which is great for a marzen style, the hops are there but pretty laid back and allow the beer to be pretty sweet, which works.

M- medium body medium carbonation, slightly lingers on the tongue

D- pretty damn delicious

M- full body with a medium carbonation

2.1/5  rDev -48%

My wife is German, but from the North. There they have all kinds of local Pilsner, but not specialties like Icebeer or Smoked Beers. So when we found this Franconian specialty, of course the temptation was huge to try this. Other beer connaisseurs warned us, but she could not resist and bought it. Luckily just one single bottle!

Poured darkred-brown into mug, thick off-white head crowning. The smokey aroma is noticeable already.

The first sip hits, full smokey now.

Foam is thick and creamy, but is vanishing fast. After 2 minutes it is completely gone, leaving behind a very thin layer. But there is a lot of lacing.

The taste is so heavily smokey, it is overwhelming any other tastes and aromas.

Mouthfeel is ashtray-y.

Taste is not improving with time.

Bitter aftertaste, but smoke is still overwhelmingly on top. I imagine I drank from an ashtray.

I wonder how this beer would taste if it was blended with something milder?

This reminds me of Tarry Lapsang Souchong, a chinese smoked tea that tastes very similar to this beer. That tea cannot be enjoyed purely, but when blended 20/80 with milder teas from China, India and Ceylon, it becomes a wonderful delicassy.
Now I really wonder how this Franconian beer would perform if it was blended with milder beers, or even sodas.

If I ever get another bottle of this brew, I will definately mix it to try some improvements. It is not enjoyable to drink this pure. You might as well lick an ashtray.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I've saved this bottle for my 100th review and now i'm glad that I did.This pours dark and almost purple looking until held to direct light then it reveals deep mahogany with lots of red,the cap is almond and leaves polka dot lacing as it dissapates.The smell is almost all smoke(like a jumbo smoked turkey leg) with hints of fresh cut oak timbers and leather.This tastes like smoked ham and suttle clove,it's mostly malty with burnt tobacco notes,the flavors sound overwhelming but are anything but,this is a medium body brew,not heavy like I expected,I am impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into thick glass mug.

A - Dark brown with some transparency. Small head the dissipates into white ring with some lacing.

S - Pepperoni, salami, bacon, jerky, any number of smoked/cured meats. Almost no malt smell, and I couldn't detect a trace of hops.

T - More smoke, but not as intense as the smell. A lot of woody/mesquite flavor, with some grainy bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied, with a bit of carbonation that lessens as the beer warms. Quite smooth.

D - I've had no problem drinking this one, though it feels like more of a sipping beer or a beer to have with food rather a session beer. Probably couldn't put a second one down quite as quickly, and definitely couldn't drink it all night, but this one has been a delight.

This is my first experience with a rauchbier, and might be my only for awhile as it looks like this is the only rauchbier carried by my local Total Wine. It was easy for me to evaluate this beer based on my own tastes, but I really couldn't compare it in context. It was a highly unique and enjoyable experience, far out of the realm of most beer I'm used to, and wouldn't mind trying more.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

eyes...
a finger of off white head, dark ruby tone, very steady looking beer (ie they know wtf they are brewing). nothing eye popping but real solid.

nose...
smoky.. I know "obvious" the smoke lies somewhere between oak barrel/old wood and smoked meat, it has a very earthy tone overall, pretty strong compared to some but I like it, this makes me drool a bit... very nice

taste etc...
very sweet up front and then it gives way to the smoke that helps balance it out, underneath the layer of smoke (you can literally taste the fire) are the hops with some gentle bitterness hanging out on the lagoons of your tongue, the carbonation prickles just a bit but this one remains a nice medium body full of malt to be semi hefty but quite drinkable. pretty straightforward but very well executed in all the areas that count.

verdict ?
yumm-o a tasty, smoky treat maybe not the best for warmer times but a nice addition to a fall or winter meal.

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured a dark dark copper with not much tan head.

The smell was very strong. I would compare it to smoked jerky.

From the overwhelming smell, I was expecting a strong smokey flavor. After the first sip or two, I thought it was only mildy smokey. But after as I drank more it became a very strong smoke taste. It has some maltiness to it, but the smoke flavor overpowers it.

The carbonation was above-average.

I could see this beer paired well with food, but see me drinking only one at the most.

Overall, the smoke flavor could have been toned down for me personally. Not sure how this stacks up against other beers of this style because it is only my second.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a stumpy 22 oz bottle.
Color is a rich amber. Very clear. Very decent Head.

Aroma is WOW! Bacon. Makes me want to find some pork and smoke it .

Taste is smoky but not overpowering like the aroma would have you think. This beer definitely grows on you. After the shock of the first few sips you move to some sort of nirvana. This is a great drink!

Finish is clean as you would expect from a lager. Suprisingly this would be a good session beer.

Time for the rauch... this one has been cellaring since Sept/07 or 6-7 months. 5.10% abv, 500mL bottle. Hardcore label. Cellar temp into a wine glass.

Nice appearance. Deep dark brown opaque body, with a brown-tinged beige head. Even looks smoky.

Aroma is very unique. Smoked meat and wood. Some steak sauciness too (sweet spiciness). Hint of maltiness.

Palate is subtler. Maltiness is soft - perhaps from my aging. Creamy mouthfeel. Not too powerful in any direction. A little smoked & spiced meat. Finish gets a lot smokier, spicy noble hopped too. Now I'm getting liquid smoke.... sort of a cross between tobacco and wood. Unique. A bit off in the finish but not too bad.

A beer unlike any other I've had. I'd love to try another rauch.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A_Pours a dark brown with ruby red highlights when held to the light. A nice two finger head settles into a splotchy foam cap.

S_Deep charcoal like smoke scent. Slight sweetness.

T_Sweetness at first followed by a nice smoked flavour. Charcoal is less pronounced than in the nose. A more mild smoked taste overall than expected. Still enough to be please. Slight acidity in the finish. Aftertaste is medium smoke and dry.

M_Light bodied, medium to above average carbonation.

D_A nice rauch but not quite as good as the festbier of theirs.

4.93/5  rDev +22%

I first saw this style of beer at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL. As I attempted to pronounce the phlegm inducing, tongue twister of a name I thought to myself, "Smoke beer? Is this going to taste like dear old Grandma Abigail's ashes?" It was nothing like that at all! I slowly poured the rich tawny brew into a pilsener stlye glass (I had never heard of rauchbeir before then so I had no idea what vessel to enjoy it in.) I put my nostril up to the rim and inhaled deeply. Fresh smokey hardwood wafted into my nose. It reminded me of a summer barbeque with weiners on the grill. I took a swig and swished it around my pallet. What a symphony of smoked meat flavoring and faint oak. It was absolutely delectable! I had never experienced anything close to it. Now I live in Gainesville and I am totally craving the Jimmy Dean goodness that is rauchbeir. I have already ordered a case for the liquor store I work at.

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Pours deep reddish ruby copper, 1 in tan head with a sticky lace.

S - SMOKEY, there is a hickory, roasted character, I dare say almost like baked beans, this is different.

T - Evenmore smokey, I could imagine roasted malts on a wooden plank to enrich the smokey hickory flavors. Little noticable hops, sweet molasses and bean flavors. Flavors become more pronouced closer to room temp.

M - Med bodied, low carbontation, seems thick for a Marzen, extremely smooth.

D - Very special and different would go great with a BBQ, but would not pick this beer to drink one after the other.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

A very nice rauchbier, that I recently had the privelege of trying in a party ball (miniature keg). For my PA people, you can get them at SHANGY's in Emmaus for $22.00. Francisweizen and I are enjoying one right now. Strong rich smokey flavor. Very mellow, warm mouthfeel. One of the tastiest marzens I have had. The initial flavor comes smooth and slow, and builds to a full, minutely bitter finish. If you are in the market for a nice Rauchbier, this is probably one of your best options.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Wow. One whiff of this and you're magically transported to a campfire somewhere in the woods. I read up on this beer a little and it sounded weird enough to try. This is my first experience with the style and I've gotta say... I like it!

Not much in the way of a head, even when poured strongly. Leaves only small dots of lace here and there. Color is a clear, but dark brown.

Aroma is very woody, smoky, and almost meat-like, with a malty undercurrent. Just a hint of noticable hops in the background.

Flavor is unlike anything I've experienced. An obvious earthy, woodsmoke flavor, like bacon or jerky, over a malty sweetness and just enough hops to keep it balanced. Aftertaste has a hint of pipe tobacco.

Mouthfeel is smooth with just a tiny bite of gentle carbonation. Medium bodied.

This is a very interesting beer/style. I really enjoyed it. Not an everyday beer, but it's a nice novelty treat. Would pair perfectly with some southern pork BBQ, smoked whitefish, or maybe a smoked Gouda & crackers.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla