Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Wow. One whiff of this and you're magically transported to a campfire somewhere in the woods. I read up on this beer a little and it sounded weird enough to try. This is my first experience with the style and I've gotta say... I like it!

Not much in the way of a head, even when poured strongly. Leaves only small dots of lace here and there. Color is a clear, but dark brown.

Aroma is very woody, smoky, and almost meat-like, with a malty undercurrent. Just a hint of noticable hops in the background.

Flavor is unlike anything I've experienced. An obvious earthy, woodsmoke flavor, like bacon or jerky, over a malty sweetness and just enough hops to keep it balanced. Aftertaste has a hint of pipe tobacco.

Mouthfeel is smooth with just a tiny bite of gentle carbonation. Medium bodied.

This is a very interesting beer/style. I really enjoyed it. Not an everyday beer, but it's a nice novelty treat. Would pair perfectly with some southern pork BBQ, smoked whitefish, or maybe a smoked Gouda & crackers.

Hoagie1973, Mar 28, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

500ml bottle purchased from the LCBO - their sole representative at the whole rauch style, which is sad.

A beautiful dark pour, with a deep red tinge when held up to the light. The head is off-white and effusive, slowly reducing to an ethereal level of lacing on the surface of the drink (think of those satellite pictures of clouds in the atmosphere). Some streaks of foam stick to the edge of my glass. You can smell this drink from the other side of the room. Reminds me of when we get back from a camping trip and I'm airing out all our gear which has been next to a campfire for several nights. Its certainly all smoke, but it also has a meaty and bready component.

Clouds of smoke in the flavour, which although peculiarly meaty, has a fairly light mouthfeel. There's a prominent graininess (that'll be all the smoked Bamberg malt) and really not much else other than wave after wave of smoke. Decent level of carbonation. Overall, this is a bit of a one-dimensional beer, but what a dimension! I imagine it would be perfect with sausages and by the fire on a cold night. Sounds like I'll be taking this with me next time I go camping!

bobsy, Mar 27, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours out with big carboantion, very bubbly and a dark amber color with a well retained, foamy tan colored head.

A smokey chocolate malt is obvious right off, heather honey, earthy herbs, only mildly aromatic.

This is a very roastie, smokey malt flavor...and I mean smoked! Balanced with spicey, herbal hops and a smoked turkey on rye bread finish.

medium bodied, very active but also pretty hefty.

Very unique to my palate and highly enjoyable.

GratefulBeerGuy, Mar 26, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into my Eichhof dimpled mug. Body comes up to the .5L line with a full two fingers of creamy tan head floating up top. The burnt umber liquid is a bit hazy from yeast.

Aroma hits like a ton of bricks. Epic smoked ham explodes from the head, even more so than the Urbock. That's really the only note I can pick up because it's so strong and overriding.

The meatiness is toned down in the flavor, taking on more of a smoky campfire character. Underneath the salty twang, there's a really smooth maltiness that finishes surprisingly clean. There's a little bitterness in the finish too, but I can't figure out if it's hops or a charred remnant of the smoked malt.

Smooth and easy drinkin' despite the extreme flavor. Medium body and perfect carbonation.

illidurit, Mar 22, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a lot lighter than expected, chestnut brown with some darker red highlights.

Smell is a campfire with some dark figs smoldering, I am instantly drawn to this beer.

Taste is the same as the smell, but with a little hop, goes from the middle back of my tongue and then slides to the sides for the finish. Some grain flavors can be detected as well.

Mouthfeel is nice, nothing special, a little thin, and not much carbonation.

Drinkability is decent for me, I could have one more but then I would be done with it.

currysage1, Mar 20, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance:
pours a root beer brown color with a hint of amber. vigorous pour doesn't produce much more than a thin film of head. clear.

Smell:
hint of grainy sweetness, almost undetectable dark fruit character. smoky wood chips.

Taste:
Smoky! smoked sausages! Interesting. The more i consume, the less apparent the smoke becomes, it is subtle enough that i am allowed to acclimate. Mild hop bitterness apparent.

Mouthfeel:
Light-medium body. clean and smooth.

Drinkability:
Easily consumed. the smoke could be overwhelming, but i think that this offering does a good job of poking its head out at first and moving to the background as i continue. very interesting. I enjoy this.

Cheers

jayb, Mar 17, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

A- Dark ruby brown with a one and a half finger head.

S- The same aroma one gets from smoked fish or ham with some underlying malt sweetness.

T- Altough the smoke flavor stays in the forefront it is not overpowering as I would have suspected. Otherwise a pretty soild malt / hop balance.

M- A little on the thin side otherwise good.

D- I would look to pair this with food rather than to drink solo.

Even though not everybody is going to like this bier, the style is worth a try.

Pauly2X, Mar 08, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Poured from the 1pt., 9oz bottle into an imperial pint. The beer is a clear dark brown with a one finger, white head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: Smoky character is prevalent, with caramel and chocolate malts backing the primary aroma. I was reminded of beef jerky, with a hint of smoked salmon, complemented with a subtle balancing roasted malt. Very intriguing and unique aroma.

Taste: Malty introduction (roasted, subtle chocolate), leading to a nicely balanced midpalate, then finishing with more of the smoky characteristics found in the nose. These included smoked salmon, smoked sausage, and a slight charcoal note. Crazy taste, but amazingly pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation on the introduction, with an incredibly and surprisingly smooth finish that brings everything in this crazy beer together in a somewhat coherent manner.

Drinkability: The taste is such that it's hard to imagine drinking several in one sitting. It's great to test one's palate to, but the smoked character of this beer makes it difficult to enjoy without some sort of food, or alone multiple times. Very very good overall in one sitting, however...

BucBasil, Mar 02, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Beautiful deep copper hue under a beige two finger head.

Smell: The smoke is the dominant scent for sure, but there was also an inviting sweet maltiness hidden in there.

Taste: The smoke hits up front, but it really does open up to reveal a delicious, almost chewy caramel malt. The floral bouquet finishes quite nicely.

Mouthfeel: It's really an odd sensation, having a sweet malty mouthfeel while tasting smoke! I liked it, though.

Drinkability: This is my first foray into the realm of the Rauchbier. It was very interesting, and not totally uninviting. I'm glad I chose the malty Marzen version. It's an acquired taste, and I think that (given time) I can get to where I really appreciate it. I paired this with some grilled/smoked Andouille sausage, which was a PERFECT compliment to the Rauchbier.

AleDrinkToThat, Feb 26, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

from City Beer Store in S.F. Poured a rich dark brown in a weizen glass with a nice light tan head. Good lacing too. Smell was very reminiscent of salted and peppered beef jerky and smoked bbq, and although it was very obvious, it wasn't as extremely overpowering or offensive as I feared. I found it extremely enticing and the taste was not a letdown either. The base of the beer itself was smooth, perfectly malty and sweet with a touch of lingering smokiness and light bitterness in the finish. It was very full flavored, not overdone and perfectly crisp from the carbonation, and I was shocked at how drinkable this stuff was. I expected this to be a letdown b/c I was quite excited to try it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Very good, and I can't wait to try the other 2 varieties.

JDV, Feb 22, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Found this gem at The Wine Seller in Williamsburg. Poured into a Lowenbrau mug.

A - Deep chestnut/ruby coloration which glows brightly in the light. Somewhat transparent. Made a two tip head which displayed great retention, the lacing was spotty and at points did a spiderweb effect.

S - Zomg. Smoked sausage, bacon, fire, smoke, absolutely yummily amazing.

T - Definite Oktoberfest-style malt base and flavor profile initially, even a substantially watery body, then very subtly at first the smokiness creeps in. After a mere moment the flavors flood the palate and overtake the body. Delicious.

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation level, smokey (duh) aftertaste.

D - I truly love this beer. I can imagine how perfect it would be with pulled pork bbq and smoked ribs, unfortunately I currently only have baked potato pringles. I need more, and you need to try it. Just do it.

PhageLab, Feb 20, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

I was reticent to pick this up for a few weeks, pondering it at the great local Piccadilly and walking past more than once. But I gathered up the nerve last week and grabbed a bottle, setting it in the fridge for a week-long chill. My curiosity got the best of me tonight and, as I read Engels's classic The Condition of the Working Class in England, figured that a unique German beer would best accompany a unique German thinker.

And this is certainly a unique beer. I've never had a smoke beer before, yet I can safely say that this is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, no question. It's also a good opportunity to tout one of the Beer Advocate site's best features, which is the plethora of sterling reviews about beer that one can find here. While I often read the reviews of Buckeye Nation, Nero Fiddled, Felonious Monk and others before I try beers for the first time, this was one of many times when one of them, in this case Buckeye Nation, positive nailed a beer in a review. He said that this beer was reminiscent of smoked meat, and that couldn't be more true. It's akin to liquid jerky, and I mean that in a good way. This speaks to a genuine benefit of writing here, and that is the sheer depth of knowledge that people transmit about beer on this website. Not for nothing, it's at times mind-boggling.

The presentation is decent, with a light cap of tan head quickly fading over a dark brown body with a rich ruby perimeter. The smell is incredibly smoky, nothing but. For some, I can imagine that this is a turn-off. Thankfully, having been prepared by reading the reviews of others mentioned above, I was not only braced but thrilled to get the same whiff I would get from smoked jerky--not the sweet-spicy smell of venison, but rather the deep, smoky smell of a good, dense, home-smoked beef stick. That's the truth.

I worried that the taste would require choking it down, but that's not so. It's actually fairly smooth and pleasant, a nice sipping beer. I genuinely have no idea whether or not smoke beer is regularly flat, but this is. That's not all bad, but I can't help but think that more carbonation, if that's possible with this style, would bring other flavors to the fore. Perhaps that's not to be, that the smoke would override all else. I'm just not so keen on flat beer.

The lack of complexity, and the overriding campfire-smoker taste, somewhat hinder the drinkability. Yet this isn't bad by any means. It's worth a try, and went well with a good slice of pepperoni pizza (I wish I had some anchovies on it, which probably would have been great with this Rauchbier.). I don't know how often I'll grab this or any other smoke beer but, if someone offers me a cold Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, I won't say no. Fear not.

Gehrig, Feb 08, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -51%

I like bacon, and I like beer. But I don't like bacon in my beer.

The first thing I noticed while pouring this brown beer was the overwhelming smoked smell. This was my first smoked beer, and I was taken by surprise. Hickory bacon and barbecue sauce dominate the nose.

The taste was extremely smoky. Again, bacon, and lots of it, cooked over a campfire. Am I drinking beer or having a drunk cowboy's breakfast? I just needed to slap on some spurs and start telling folk stories around the campfire.

I couldn't finish this beer. I'll be sure to keep away from beers labeled "smoked" in the near future. Maybe when I'm older I'll revisit them. And maybe I'll look for ones in smaller bottles.

ElGrecoVerde, Feb 06, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice dark redwood colour, considerable head upon pouring. Dissipates quickly to a thin film which does stick around, credit to it. Steady carbonation. Frankly, a damn fine-looking beer.

Smells like dark-wood smoke. It's intense but not repulsive. Like heavily smoked bacon but without the bacon smell. Mostly sour and pungent and it feels like I'm getting soot up my nostrils. I don't dislike it though.

Taste is not too bad but funny thing is the nose strangles the flavour. I can tell I'm drinking a particularly flavoured lager but then the smoke kicks into my nose and I lose the flavour. Maybe that's the point. I'm getting hints of that smokey bacon flavour on the front palate and a bit of toastiness. The back palate (which is disappointingly short) is where the hops lie, and it would be quite underwhelming in flavour if not for the fact that the back palate is where the aroma comes blundering in. Overall an interesting brew. I certainly couldn't drink masses of it but it's an experience, and not a bad one.

laituegonflable, Feb 03, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +1%

500ml Stubby
$3.69
Binny's Orland

When I'm in the mood for a Rauchbier I usually reach for Schlenkerla's Marzen. Pours a beautiful chestnut brown with ribbons of mahogany when backlit. Tiny streams of carbonation rise to the surface as there's tiny sediment suspended throughout. A one finger beige head formed on the pour and rather quickly fell to a solid cap. No lacing was left after the head fell but each sip did leave some decent lacing.

The aroma is that of good hardwood smoked bacon. There's a strong presence of smoke once your nose is stuck in the glass but there is a solid caramel and fresh grain base that reminds you you're smelling beer and not breakfast.

While the smokiness is certainly there and in your face it's tastefully done without being overwhelming. The initial flavor of smoked bacon is upfront but quickly levels out to include a caramel sweetness mid-palate and a clean graininess toward the finish. It's hard to believe but this beer, even with all the smoke, is fragile. All the flavors come together without one outdoing the other.

I do really enjoy the mouthfeel of this beer. Seems to have a moderate body but the carbonation creates an incredibly smooth creamy finish. This beer just glides through my mouth effortlessly.

This is a beer I find myself in the mood for every now and then but it's best enjoyed with certain types of food. Smoked salmon is a great choice. That said one in a sitting is enough for me but that one bottle goes down pretty easy.

Like I said earlier, if I'm in the mood for something a little off the beaten path this is what I pick up. This is one world class rauchbier.

joe1510, Feb 01, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 16 oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

Appearance- Beer pours a clear red with a minor head that vanishes quickly leaving a wisp of foam across the head that forms cloudlike perceived shapes when stared at for too long.

Smell- Smoke and malts but no real traces that this is a marzen. Hickory smoked wood and hints of ham. Pork goodness permeates this beer and you have to feel for the vegetarians.

Taste- Liquid smoke right here folks. Rich smokey malts and bacon goodness. This is over the top with smoke and everything else comes second. Light malts linger and it actually does pair well with bacon quite well.

Mouthfeel- Lighter than would be expected with a beer of this level of smoke. Leaves a comforting feel on the palate. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability- Astoundingly, I could drink lots of this at any barbecue cookoff or any other meat eating activity. But to not be food racist, I'm sure this would pair well with smoked mushrooms as well.

blakesell, Jan 23, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

There was a strong but smooth smoke aroma immediately upon opening the bottle. It has a very pretty reddish brown color, and a thin off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells like bacon on a campfire. Very smooth mouthfeel. The smoky flavor gives way to a buttery, nutty flavor that hangs in your mouth long after finishing the beer. This is the most drinkable rauchbeer I've had, and definitely one of my favorites.

lowbrau, Jan 19, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Attractive reddish brown color. Only a film of off-white head. Finely textured tendrils of lace.

Smells mainly of smoke, like smoked salmon and bacon, with toasty grain, honey, earth, fruit leather, and spicy grassy hops. Rich and appetizing.

Tastes of smooth smoked malt, moderately sweet, with some toast and honey. Very well balanced with fresh hop flavor - grassy, spicy, and earthy - and moderate bitterness. Dries out entirely for a fairly long smoky finish.

Lightly carbonated. The tiny size of the bubbles makes for a nice smooth texture. Very drinkable, the smoke doesn't interfere at all.

Plenty of smoke, but perfectly integrated. Very tasty and balanced beer, with no shortage of character.

Beerzebub, Jan 14, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured a 22oz into a Chimay Chalice (2 pours). Poured a dark brown with ruby highlights and a nice 1 inch head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing. Aroma is smoked meats, like oak smoked bacon, slight saltiness. I thought the taste was very 1 dimensional. I get the salty, smokiness but not much more. The smoke is a bit overpowering. It doesn’t highlight the beer, it overwhelms it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. I think this is a don’t miss if you’re a big smoked beer person.

hwwty4, Jan 12, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I think this is the first 5 I gave anything on flavor. That is because within it's style category I cannot imagine it improving any more. Also - I had it fresh on tap across the street from the brewery! A warm buffed and oiled woodsy brown with a pillowy off-white head. Aromas of juicy munich malt, campfires, and a hint of sulphur. Flavors of smoked pork, charred wood (but without bitterness) and the finely tooled leather belt they used to jam in my mouth during my childhood fits. This is incredible stuff, and is certainly not for everyone. Bottled bacon is an aquired taste.

dedrinker, Jan 07, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pours a clear mahogany ruby with a one inch tan and sandy head that fades after a bit not much active carbonation. Not much lacing but the color save everything.

S: Smell sort of chocolaty but with a smokey bacon and ham scent

T/MF: Woody oak taste that decieves the meaty nose which is a nice change of pace. Not very sweet but not very bitter either, sort of sweeter in the middle while the smoke aspect sort of mellows everything out. The mouthfeel is robust and sturdy and leaves a thickish film across the tongue.

D: Highly drinkable for a rauchbeer and I feel a better than the urbock.

bluemoonswoon, Jan 05, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Brown body with amber highlights. Little head to speak of. Aroma is all smoky wood. Virtually no malt - just burning wood. Flavor is also heavy on the smoky notes. some malt comes through, but pretty much all smoke. Mouthfeel is solid. Drinkability is OK, but a little more rich malt sweetness to balance the dry smokiness would be nice.

aaronh, Jan 04, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours deep brown with reddish hues. Nice two finger tan head. A nice aroma off the top of smoked sausages (I never thought the smell of sausage would be good in a beer). First sip is very nice, a hint of sweetness followed by a lemon sharpness. The flavor in the beer mellows as the beer warms. The drinkability is ok, very filling, I don't think I could drink more than one. When all is said and done, an extremely tasty brew.

HopGoblin, Dec 30, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -29.5%

This one will definately be revisited, interesting I think. I was expecting something on the lines os smokey scotch whisky, which I love (think Lavagulin or Talisker). The smell was promising, just enough smoke with malts. All I get on the pallete is smoke, like a barbecue or smokehouse, or my fireplace. I would probably enjoy aout 4 oz of this at the right time. To me this is definately not a quaffer. I will try it again paired with food.

srrn, Dec 29, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

If you don't like the smoky flavor of scotch or irish whisky, or that of smoked meats or cheeses, save this one for those of us who do.

Pours a orange-tinted amber topped by a just not-quite-white head as you'd expect from a classic marzen. One has to prepare for the smoky aroma with a hint of malt. It was disconcerting until I thought of the smokiness I'd expect from a nice single-malt Islay scotch or a smoked, dry-aged Schwarzwalder ham. With that in mind, the smokiness is a nice rich flavorful smoke that complements the marzen remarkably well. Unlike some other flavored beers, this one does not skimp on the base beer. The melanoidin maltiness comes through the cloud of hardwood campfirey smoke and smooths the edges of the smoke and light hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is typical marzen, and while it would otherwise be a dangerously drinkable beer, the smoke flavor would wear out its welcome.

MillRat, Dec 25, 2007