Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
mcallister

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Beer pours a very dark crimson but looks almost brown if not held up to light. Little head with slight lacing.

Hard to pull much out of the nose besides the enormous smoke aroma. You can get some meaty, earthy aromas in the background.

Just tried the Ur-Bock last week and this Marzen is much bigger and bolder both in smell and taste. This Marzen is much more complex in the mouth altough I liked the nose of the ur-bock more.
Big smokey grilled meet flavors, with great carbonation. Very smooth and esay going for such a different brew. You can get some slight flavors in the background of burnt caramel, and gamey flavors.

I could drink 1 or 2 of these beasts but would probably want something else after that not sure though. Guess I'm gonna have to try:)

And if you do get some make sure you buy an extra bottle to cook with. The lady friend is making some BBQ sauce as we speak with it that's awesome!!!

04-23-2006 19:16:19 | More by mcallister
BradBLR

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

This is a very different beer. When I first poured it into my glass it was super dark and had a really think head. The smell was great, almost smelling like bacon. I'm thinking "Bacon Beer"?

The first taste was good, but it did not taste as smokey as it smelled. It had a nice malt flavor with little to no hops. It was thicker than normal, and had a fairly nice mouthfeel. The smell and the taste just seemed very different. Should give it a try if you have never had a smokey beer, it is very interesting.

04-14-2006 14:58:21 | More by BradBLR
SeanColl84

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

This beer was poured from a 1pt. 9 FL. oz bottle in which no "best by" date was indicated.

A - Dark brown and opaque. Almost reminiscent of Coca-Cola in color. Lacing is absent for the most part. I split this bottle into two glasses as to share it with a firend, so I cannnot comment on the head.

S- At the very first sniff I was brought back to a recent camping trip where I as sitting around a camp fire with some of my closest friends. This was by far the most pronounced smoky smell that I have encountered thus far in a smoked beer.

T- A very prominent smoke flavor that I could not expect to be replicated, except in the case of lighter meats like fish or pork that can absord such deep flavors.

MF- As far as mouthfeel goes, this beer did not impress me that much. On the tongue it felt like a porter. Average.

D- I remember the first time I had this. I was blown away by the smell and the flavor. I couldn't wrap my mind around it at first. After becoming familiar with the smell and flavor, I lost interest in continuing. This is definetly a beer that I would limit myself to only once in awhile.

Overall- As far as smoked beers go, this one kicks ass. I can't say I've had one like this. Definetly worth trying at least for the novelty of it.

04-11-2006 23:55:47 | More by SeanColl84
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: Dark, nearly opaque chocolate brown with soft ruby highlights. Lame, cratered, moondust-colored head.

Smell: Woah. This is different. The smoke smell is somewhat overpowering, and remniscent of - I kid you not - hickory-smoked salmon. Possibly a good breakfast beer, this one. Malts are kind of Doppelbock-ish but squashed under the smoke.

Taste: Here goes... hmm. Not bad. Smoky, for sure, with a game-like quality. Malts are full of dark fruit flavors. This one would be great to cook with. In fact, you could reduce this down and make it a sauce in itself, or a marinade. Burnt bitterness rounds out the finish.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly sparkly, this doesn't quite match the flavor but it isn't bad.

Drinkability: When I first took a sip of this, I thought, man... this is good, but I'm not sure I can finish it! But the more I drink, the more I like this. I wouldn't mind having another, and I really look forward to pairing this with meats.

04-11-2006 00:15:32 | More by soulgrowl
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

I once purchased this in Canada and absolutely hated it. I couldn't finish the last third!

This one purchased in Bamberg was CONSIDERABLY better.

A: Dark caramel, off-white head, very little retention or lace.

S: Smoked, spicy sausage!

T: Very smokey, spicy, with a little caramel sweetness.

M: Moderate body is a little chalky. Carbonation is moderate.

D: Still VERY smokey. A little overwhelming. I couldn't drink many of these.

04-07-2006 21:39:41 | More by Derek
loving44

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

This is one wild style!!

I have been going on a smoked beer kick for a while and this one was recommended by Jason at Naja's.

Pours dark, almost like a porter or a darker than usual English Brown Ale.

The smell is WONDERFUL!! There is no mistaking the smoke, as a previous reviewer had stated, it's just like a campfire ( not a weird hobo palet-burning campfire, but a campfire you would want to eat hahaha).

This beer tastes like smoked meat... strange but also very nice! This would go great with some bbq, or strong cheese.

Mouthfeel was light and slightly creamy.

I'm going to give this a little above average on drinkability... I could have had another one... but the flavors are so strong and unique I had to stop myself at just one!

Give this one a try!!

04-07-2006 21:39:28 | More by loving44
blitz134

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Mahogany colored body. Fairly clear with some carbonation and fine particulate floating around. Head is just off white and finished with small pockets of bubbles on top.

Aroma is strong with smoke, oak and campfire. A bit of caramel and dark fruity sweetness blend in with some toasted notes. Nicely smoked overall and a fairly strong aroma. It really opened up my sinuses.

Taste is like barbecue smoke and smoked butt, really meaty in the main part of the flavor. Has a touch of sweetness inititally and then the smokiness hits. Finishes smooth with a touch of bitterness. Nicely flavored. Much more smoke that I remember in the Urbock and this hits the spot for what I was looking for in that brew.

Mouthfeel is medium to full. Not as heavy as its sister beer. Drinkability is excellent. The lighter mouthfeel and meaty smoke flavor makes this one unique and highly quaffable. I really like this, just don't know how often I'll pick it up. I've been sitting on this one for a while.

04-05-2006 01:39:19 | More by blitz134
TurdFurgison

I paid just under $3.00 for a 1 pint 9 oz bottle, and poured it into a pint glass. It looked kind of like an English brown ale, reddish brown and clear with a thick tan foam on top. But the smell was way different. Smelled like a camp fire more than anything, but also a little like smoked ham. It doesn't sound right for a beer, but it worked for me. Tasted smoky and malty, and was very carbonated. From now on I'll recommend everyone tries this at least once.

04-03-2006 23:26:28 | More by TurdFurgison
mmmbeer

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Finally got my hands on a rauchbier. I saw their lager at the store and woulda bought it as well if I had known that so few people had reviewed it. Anyway, from a big German bottle into a German mug, it pours a rich, deep copper with very active carbonation and an inch of khaki head that consists mostly of small bubbles and retains a quarter inch throughout, leaving some nice patches/rings of lace. The aroma is very smoky from the beginning - I can smell the wood they used, and the aroma reminds me of a good smoked meat or cheese. By the end there are notes of faint hops and clean malts, and the smoke seems to be sweeter, if that makes sense. The first sip kickstarts my bacon craving, which by end becomes a smoked salmon craving. The taste is highly smoky at the start with notes of spices, but I soon find notes of faint coffee and green, almost citric hops with a mild to medium bitterness that intensifies as I progress, as does a tobacco flavor which leaves the taste of chaw in my mouth. The mouthfeel is medium to full, and incredibly smooth and creamy for a lager, leaving a long finish that makes me want another bottle. It is surprisingly drinkable, as I was a bit hesitant of the style, but it is a wonderful beer that is totally unique to my palate. I must try their other offerings. A great deal at under $4 a bottle.

03-31-2006 02:07:35 | More by mmmbeer
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a reddish amber, pretty clear, with a nicely sized fluffy tan head. It fades momentarily and leaves behind a few drifts of small lacing.

Salty, smoked, burnt barbecue - bacon fat - Copenhagen - all of these are present in the smell.

Flavor carries these salted pork hues, but is backed up with a light malt body - I noticed a bit of lemon twinge, which really lightens up the heavy meaty flavor.

Very smooth mouthfeel, just the right density and sensation that asks you to drink deeply, not sip. It finishes with a complex finish that is one part sticky, one part salty, smoky on the tongue.

I have been pretty fearful of smokebeers until now, and it turns out that this one, at least, is better than I'd hoped. Yes, it has a frightening smell of smoke and meat, but it's surprisingly quaffable! :)

03-31-2006 01:43:04 | More by Tupperwolf
bearrunner44

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Dark and brown, with shade of burnt crimson. Good clarity. Generous, clingy, cream-colored foam.

Smell: Smoky hickory aroma, salty. Bacon. Rich toffee backbone, with subdued sweetness.

Taste: The strong bacon aroma doesn't fully translate to the tastebuds. It doesn't taste dramatically different than a standard marzen at first. The malt provides a gentle, chewy caramel foundation. The smoke flavor emerges in the middle, combining with the malt to produce a sweet and smoky flavor similar to that of honey barbeque. A lingering, subtle salty taste hangs around in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Awesome mouthfeel. Creamy, full-bodied, and very smooth. The carbonation could use a slight bump upwards, but the mouthfeel is excellent as is.

Verdict: A very tasty example of a unique style. Recommended.

03-26-2006 01:30:03 | More by bearrunner44
klewis

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Served in a stange, this beer poured a clear mahoghany color with a big fluffy head. A good amount of lacing is left on the glass.

S: The smell is strong, yet smooth. Aromas of smoked salmon and mesquite spice

T: Like the smell, the taste is strong, yet smooth and not overwhelming. Flavors of smoked jerky and cedar fill the mouth and nose with each sip.

M: There is moderate carbonation in this, yet the beer still comes out silky smooth and with a medium body.

D: After hearing a lot of buzz about these beers in the forums, I've finally popped my rauchbier cherry, and couldn't be happier. The character of this beer is incredibly unique. I'm drinking this beer by itself now and loving it, but I can't wait to try this with something off the grill.

03-25-2006 23:25:41 | More by klewis
alexgash

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a clear mahoganey with ruby edges and a small, light tan head. Smell...hmmm...woah! The nose is smoked bacon on a crisp Canadian morning. I reckon with a side of eggs and some strong coffee we'll be able to hunt moose and fish walleye all day. Amazingly strong smoked meat aromas. Faint caramel malt in there, but the smoke covers all else. Luckily, I like smoked meats. Smoked prosciutto flavors greet the mouth, alongside caramelized carrots and faint malt sweetness. Ham and campfire smoke throughout. More sweetness detectable in the long smoky finish. Medium-bodied with a surprisingly lively feel. Not liquid smoke, just really smoky and delicious beer!

03-24-2006 03:24:26 | More by alexgash
francisweizen

Alaska

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

This one is awesome..."on tap" from a 5 liter mini-keg that was $22 at Shangys in Emmaus. This one kicks ass. Dark amber in colour with a lovely cascading head of foam that lasts and is thick and rich in itself. Aromas of smoked malts, and all things smoke as well as fruity balance and intriguing malt complexity. Sure its smoky but it is most certainly not one dimensional. Taste is smoky, fruity, and malty, with a nice bread character to it as well. Drinkability is AWESOME! Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lovely with very lively carbonation. I love this beer and this brewery very much these days!

03-16-2006 15:50:55 | More by francisweizen
MuddyFeet

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

My first rauchbier. Poured a funky looking brown. Actually looked like there was powdered cocoa at first. Just slight glimmers of light. Huge bog-like head. Very resilient. Smells like bacon. Hmmmm... bacon...

Flavor is smokey and meaty. Salty too. Almost chewy. More than one of these would make me taste terrible... poor Anna. But still very palatable. All the flavors really linger in the mouth and I can still taste it well after the sip. Very full flavor--kind of takes over the head. I'd be wary of getting to close to the girlfriend after drinking one of these, but still quite tasty.

03-05-2006 21:18:00 | More by MuddyFeet
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

500 ml bottle from Liquor Max in Loveland, $4.04 with their mixed sixer discount.
Number 20 in my quest to have all of the top 25 German beers as rated here on B-A.
Moderate pour into my 23 ounce pilsner glass yields a nice 2-finger off-white head over a clear mahogany body. Head fades to a solid ring with nice lacing. Aroma of smoked malt, deer sausage, some piney hops, toasted sourdough bread, smoked almonds. Fascinating. The taste is a nice Marzen light bitterness, with some floral hop notes. The smokiness is not as pronounced as in the aroma (or as in the Rauchbier Urbock): it's more in the background. Nice toasted malt notes, with some pine hops, then the smoke is in the aftertaste. Very pleasant. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp like a Marzen should be. At 5.4%, this is very drinkable, but I lowered the mark because of the price.

02-28-2006 04:31:13 | More by ColoradoBobs
johnniemarg

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a burnt brown color with a modest white head.

The aroma is an intense meaty smoky smell.

This is tasty. The smoke is very rich in the flavor. There is an iron flavor that combined with the smoke makes me think of beef jerkey as another reviewer said. The flavors are all in balance. Finishes with little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy.

I am really happy that my friend put this in my cart at the beer store. This is a fantastic brew. I love BBQ and think this would pair fantastically with some good slow smoked BBQ pork ribs. But the beer tastes like a meal in itself though too. I wish they carried this at Dinosaur BBQ. I will definitely seek out more beers of this style.

02-19-2006 02:42:13 | More by johnniemarg
Hautacam

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Amber with a lively, frothy head ..bubbles on side of pint glass like a cola.
Smells mostly of smoky meat...a little bit of wet wool by the fire, too.
Tastes amazing ! Lots of smoke, malt,strong phenol, sweet , with some very light bitter at the finish....just a hint of soap..but not in a bad way(?) Alcohol very well hidden. I like this much better than the Spezial.
Mouthfeel...medium..feels perfect for these flavors and amount of sugar. Carbonation kind of low.
Pretty drinkable.... a stand-alone beer that I would also pair up with food.
Great stuff, this Rauchbier !!

02-18-2006 00:46:07 | More by Hautacam
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Dark, ruby red with a big creamy looking head that laces nicely. Big bubbles, little bubbles... it's all there.

S - Smoked. Lots and lots of smokiness. Bacon-like with a medicinal twinge.

T - Again, smoked but not woody or oaked or anything. No doubt heavily influenced by aroma, reminds me of bacon bits. A bit of hops in the back cleans up the smokiness nicely and keeps it from getting annoying. Every sip is like the first.

M - Unbelievably creamy. 6/5

D - As delicious as this is, it's way too heavy to be any kind of session brew. A special occasion, show-off-to-your-friends sort of beer. Also,hard to find around here.

02-11-2006 22:36:02 | More by allergictomacros
pennvan

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a fun beer! Rich smokey aroma and flavor. Not for the faint at heart. Makes me think of NC BBQ(Eastern). Great food beer, especially with smoked meats. Not something to quench your thirst with after mowing the lawn. Don't be a wuss, go try this beer.

01-26-2006 23:48:34 | More by pennvan
fromage

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Well, kinda hard to review for the style since I hardly know of anything else like this one--definitely a strange beer! Great with salty pork--I had some brined, seared pork chops and it went great. I can't really imagine drinking this on its own. Definitely a food beer.

Ruby brown coming out of the bottle. Modest white head, but lasted with webbing to spare.

Smell was wierd as hell. I thought green olives off the bat (I swear I even smelled salt), but tried harder and got some smoke. Not any fruit to speak of. Taste basically to match. I suppose I could liken it to cured meats.

Mouthfeel medium weak. It is a lager and is fairly laking in complexity.

Drinkable, but I can't imagine drinking many of these, and only with the right food.

01-21-2006 02:25:29 | More by fromage
mzwolinski

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Dark brown, clear ruby against the light, with a thin, quickly disappearing tan head. Massively peaty aroma, campfirey at first, but develops a bit of malt sweetness midpalate. Overall flavor is smoky, slightly bitter, with a long lasting aftertaste follows the dry finish. A touch of caramel malt sweetness begins to emerge once mouth gets accustomed to smoke flavor – lends a really nice softening to the smoke. Some coffee flavors midpalate too
Surprisingly complex. Really a lovely beer!

01-20-2006 16:56:48 | More by mzwolinski
EvilKeith

Alabama

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

This is my first "smoked" beer.

Clear dark amber in color. Shortlived tan head, a fair amount of lace lingers along the glass.
My nose only picks up the smoke. This may sound strange, but I'm thinking beef jerky.

I have to admit to being baffled by the flavor of this beer. I think the best way for me to describe the taste is as it being neutral. Other than the smoke nothing else pops out at me.
I do not find the taste to be offensive in any way. It was very easy to drink.

A better understanding of the style would probably give me a greater appreciation for this beer.

01-14-2006 23:34:21 | More by EvilKeith
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

This has to be the most fascinating things i've ever had. Being the first Rauchbier i've had, i'm very very fascinated. This looks good, dark brown with a nice amount of lacing. Smell is like, campfire. With hints of a smoked sausage, totally delicious. Taste is absolutely phenomenal. This would go so so well with a side of summer sausage. carbonation is just right and delivers the aromas just perfectly. Drinkability is pretty good, but for some the aftertaste might be a bit too much. Personally this ranks among the best i've ever tasted. Very unique and quite flavorful. I'm getting some of these next time I have a barbecue.

01-13-2006 02:55:03 | More by funkengruven
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

500ml Bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured a deep red / brown colour... Creamy tan head pours quite big and leaves nice thin layer.

Aroma - Very strong smokiness (smoked sausage/bacon?). Nice maltiness, spicy, woody, underlying dark fruits, nutty hints...

Taste – Malty, smokey, quite sweet, nice hop bitterness, lemon hints...

Feel - Quite smooth and dry. Medium body. Pretty drinkable..

Overall - An exceptional example of this style. Highly recommended !!

01-09-2006 10:07:07 | More by mdagnew