Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros

L: Pours a nice amber brown color with a medium sized an dmedium bodied tan colored head that laced the glass somewhat on the way down.
S: Smells of a fire actually, someone that I had this with said beef jerky, but I would put it as more of a bonfire smell. Very woody.
T: Tastes some like a good smoked meat with a very heavy wood taste that is actually really good. It has some malt in there as well but the smokey flavor over-rides everything.
M: Very warming and spicy with the right amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable smokey flavored beer. This would go very well with a good meat dinner.

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

It poured dark brown and clear with no activity. It had a three finger head that was foamy. It slowly retreated down the side of the glass leaving no lacing.

It had a delicious scent of beechwood. The mixture of the malt and beechwood with spicey undertones smelled like a freshly opened piece of beef jerky.

It had a much more mild flavor of roasted malt. The beechwood gave less character to the flavor than the scent. It was slightly watery with a weird woody finish. I expected more body from such a robust scent and taste filled beer.

It is strangely drinkable. I highly recommend trying it.

3.37/5  rDev -16.6%

500 ml bottle poured into my Meantime snifter, Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen is very dark amber with a khahki head that leaves very little lace and dissipates fairly quickly. Very dark for a Märzen.

Smell is very smokey, cured ham, woody with a touch solvents, almost like refinished hardwood.

Taste is also very smokey, and woody. This tastes a lot like a campfire, particularly with the lingering aftertaste. Think diced bacon on a cheddar wurst. Damn, that sounds like a good idea now that I mention it! The smoke is to sharp for me to pick up much of the base Märzen, this is basically a generic, dark smoked beer. Something about it in fact, so sharp and woody, it almost has a propane taste to it or something, and could be dialed back some.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth and slick, medium-heavy bodied. Not to carbonated, but the bacon burps are awesome!

Drinkability is pretty good if you like smokey beers lacking subtlety. If you wanted a Märzen with a hint of smoke, you'll be disappointed. I like the fact that it's so robust and not that strong, only 5.1% ABV on my label. Still, not something I'd want to drink all night, one is enough for me. I wanted to like this more then I did, I've only had their Urbock previously, and preferred the darker malts with the smoke for a more balanced palate. Hey, at least we know there weren't any rats in the grain!

This is an outstanding smoked beer. The nose is reminiscent of a Hungarian smokehouse that I used to patronize in Bridgeport, CT (without the paprika of course). It is unbelievable how well-balanced this beer is. Although I was expecting the smoke taste to overwhelmingly prevail, I find that the malt comes right through as well. This is certainly not a session beer, but will nicely compliment any barbecued food you bring to the table!

A: Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a brownish color and a fairly clear texture. There was about a quarter inch of long-lasting, creamy head. Good lacing.

S: The smokiness dominates the smell, but there's also a malty presence to be had here.

T: As with the smell, the smoke rules the taste. It almost makes you think you're out grilling steaks or in a ham smokehouse. Very unusual. Also had some mild toasted malt to the mix.

M: A good amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a an odd case. It's not like other beers, but it's complex and drinkable. I haven't had that many rauchbiers, but this one is by far the most interesting.

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured a clear brown color with a small tan head that faded fast. Smelled of steak and meat, a little A1 sauce in there. The taste was the same, I picked up a lot of smoked flavors and a steak or burger merinade. Some smoked wood going on as well. It had a very clean finish, nothing lingered for a bad aftertaste. Smooth and easy to drink.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

This is a very unique and special beer. It has a dark brown color. Its aroma is pretty strong but not strong enough compared to its taste. It will surprise you the first time you try it: It tastes more like bacon and ham than beer. Trying it a couple will get you addicted as you will often feel the need to have this delicacy. It goes perfectly with meat (it won't change your taste) but you can also drink it alone. If you can handle the strong taste, then there is no limit in how many of these you can have in one drinking session.

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a deep, clear, brownish copper-amber with a light, fuzzy cap of taupe.

Smells like a sweet, smokey campfire.

Taste's about the same, it's pleasant and enjoyable. Brown sugared caramel sweetness comes in light with roasty-toasty malts, possessing a big smokey campfire overtone throughout. Medium bodied, nice carbonation lightly fuzzy, lightly creamy, lightly sharp.

I'm not sure that beers of this style are really my favorites, but this is definitely a rauch done right, which I could definitely see myself enjoying at the right place. A campfire, barbecue, or smoked cheese complimetary for sure.

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

This was poured from the bottle into a glass mug.

A - deep clear amber color with a nice head that is well retained; leaves a nice lacing

S - strong smoky malt aroma

T - rich smoky malt flavor with a touch of hops on the finish

M - medium body, moderate carbonation.

D - This is a wonderful rauchbier and lives up to it's 'classic' status. I've had this beer on previous occasions and this tasting is just as good as previous. I would love to travel to Bamberg and have it close to the source.

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%

Served from bottle purchased at Bier Markt in Cleveland, later found for less money at World Wines and Liquor in Mentor, Ohio.

A Minimal light brown head over translucent dark brown body. Nothing too remarkable with the appearance.

S Now THIS is different. I could not believe it when I brought this close to my nose...it smells like the barbecue ribs I had yesterday...so very different. Sweetness of the barbeque sauce and the smokiness of the open fire..it is all there! It is a very smooth aroma. I smelled again to see if I could detect grains, hops, something but all that I was getting was those barbecue ribs!

T Well not suprisingly the smoky, sweet barbecue taste carries over to the taste, now with a backdrop of some hops and barley. A really unique taste among those that I have tested. There is certainly more sweetness in the smell, more smoke in the taste but some of each exist in the other.

M Full but not extremely so. There is a syrupy clinging far into the aftertaste which is interesting.

D Fairly good but the syrupy aftertaste means that I cannot drink too many of these (like one).

Notes: This is my first real Rauchbier and it really is different. I am not sure that I am a big fan of the style but this seems like this is a good example of the style. Note added later: I have thought about this beer for weeks after tasting it. There have only been a few that stuck in my memory like this one. I am upgrading the taste (I can STILL remember it!) for that reason from 4.5 to 5.0.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a deep chestnut brown, really dark. A nice head forms, but it doesn't stick around. Intense aroma of smoke, smoked malts, meats and overall deliciousness.

Taste is, well, unusual: this is definitely not a beer for the faint of heart. This beer tastes like smoked meat-- liquid bacon, as I like to call it. Some sweet malts come through, as well as a touch of bitterness, but this beer imparts such a strong smoky and woody flavor that trying to taste and evaluate a beer afterwards would prove futile. Silky smooth mouthfeel, fluffy carbonation. Intense flavors, but still very smooth to drink.

Could not think of a more appropriate beer to enjoy with an authentic German meal, preferably with lots of meat that matches the smokiness of the beer.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Acorn brown, spots of cottony foam around the edges - 4.25, T: Holy geez is this smoky, lots of smoke and strong scents of the smoky sausage from some good gumbo, earthy woods - 4.50, T: Though smoke is still the dominating factor, it is less noticeable on the tongue than the nose, the caramel malt manages to find a way through all the smoke, lots of wood, mildly dry -4.25, M: Silky 4.00, D: Overall, a very enjoyable beer, intensely smoky - 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

A deep, dark amber color, with a three finger thick, cream colored head forms on top. The head laces slowly down the glass. The smokiness is an incredible scent, it blends itself with a malty sweetness and doughiness. There is no real hop aroma in this beer. The malt hits the palate with a mild sweetness and the smoky flavor, that dominates and envelopes around every taste bud. Then a surprisingly mild citrus bitterness finishes the taste out. A very smooth feel, with a mild crispness, and is very silky along the palate. This is an incredible beer, there are styles that you have to taste from the source, this beer is it. Throw this at some smoked ribs or a pulled pork sandwhich. Plus, why doesn't barbaque places have this beer on tap or bottle.

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

Smoke all the way, from the moment you open the bottle you can really feel the smoke hit you. The beer guy at whole foods that recommended this beet said, "some people said it tasted like drinking an ashtray but i disagree". By just smelling the beer I thought of smoked bacon, dunno I even felt weird about drinking something that smelled like bacon. The looks are ok, thin lace over a ruby colored body. Taste is good, it definitely does not taste like meat or an ashtray, it does taste like an oktoberfest covered in smoke. Some sweet malts. Medium body. Good overall, not my favorite style but fits the style perfectly.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

pours into my liter mug with a deep chestnut brown color and a relatively tight cream head. as I poured I picked up the melanoidin malt that is what a marzen is all about. Upon further investigation the malt aroma starts out fully as a smooth smoke and then gives way, though lightly, to malt. Flavor is all malt up from with medium body and and more smoke at swallow. After it's warmed I'm not sure if I've found a bit of hops in the finish of it it's just the smoke. it's has a medium intensity and I notice it more as I breath out. Nowhere near as rich as i expected (this is my first Schlenkerla) but so far is rather drinkable. Nice brew!

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours very dark amber, almost chocolate color
1 finger off white head that lasted pretty long leaving a nice lace
Smells of smoke and dark malt and tastes the same.
The first sip seemed pretty strong smoke but after that my palette got used to it and it really wasn't that bad.
Glad I tried it but once will be enough

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Unusual bottle from Blue Dog in Lansdale, poured into a dimple mug. Crystal clear deep amber liquid, light cream colored head that settles to a thin layer, leaving some sparse lacing. Really nice color. I guess this one isn't bottle conditioned.

Smell is smoky, really hard for me to place anything beyond that. It doesn't smell like smoke meat or something of that sort (at least not to me) but smoky like other smoke beers I have had, which i find very difficult to actually describe.

Taste is similar, it has a bite to it from the smoke, tastes earthy, there is some malt to keep everything afloat.

Mouthfeel was medium light, medium carbonation. No complaints.

Drinkability is high if you like beers like this. Not really my cup of tea but it is nice to try something different every once in a while.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Dark amber with excellent clarity and a solid creamy off-white head. Appetizing.

Smell: Smoke, meat and wood with faint malty sweetness to balance the savory/earthy qualities. I can't help but think of bacon when I smell this, which is strangely appetizing.

Taste & mouthfeel: Very smoky up front, but not as dominant as the aroma suggests. Malt provides a good balance, though it's not overly sweet. A nice bold hop bitterness melds pleasantly with the smoke in the finish. The light body and crisp carbonation make this one surprisingly drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer pours a semi dark amber with a 1 fingered head with no lacing. The smell! WOW it smells like bacon, like hickory smoked bacon, very original to my palate for a beer but intriguing. The taste is of bacon and malts with hardly any hops flavor. The mouthfeel is pleasant and the carbonation level is nice. Its a nice novelty beer/gag joke (that actually tastes good) but not something I would drink alot of. I got one of these for my brothers wife who puts mayo and bacon on everything she eats! :D

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a cool looking brown bottle with a tan label into a pint glass. Dark brown with ruby highlights and a tan head that slowly dissipates.

As soon as I opened the cap the heavy smoke scent hit me. Reminded me of smoked turkey or ham. Theres also chocolate and roasted malt, and dark coffee.

The smoke brings everything together on the palate quite nicely. First taste is smoke mingling with the roasted malt and chocolate then it finishes with the smoky flavor riding out with a small hop bitterness.

This one was interesting. I'd never had anything like it before. Very tasty and a perfect pairing with sweet BBQ or a smoked turkey sandwich.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear brown with a coppery orange throughout. No head, just a slight ring.
Smell is smoke, like liquid beef jerky (low sodium), hint of malt and yeast.
Taste is smoked meat, light malt, yeast hops, peat.
Slightly warming in the throat. Smooth medium bodied brew. Very light effervescence. I really like this style but the other offerings from this brewer are better, the Weizen somewhat, the Urbock much more so.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into my Einbecker Ur-bock glass on the day before my first day of work at a new job.

Pours a transparent coca-cola brown with a fluffy cream head.

Massive aroma of hickory and smoke. Perhaps a bit meaty as well.

The aroma was a bit strong, but the taste is a bit softer making for a bit more drinkable brew. The flavors of wood and smoke really do come together nicely. A nice bready malt backbone is apparent, but is second fiddle to the smoke.

Light bodied and mildly carbonated.

A fine beer, and unique to me. The flavor is not overpowering by any means, but I can only do so much smoke.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Re-review: orig was shipped from Indy. This was one driving back during Xmas. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle (no dating info) into a pint glass. It was a reddish caramel color and had a tall light beige head. It slowly settled into a broken foam with a collar. Excellent carbonation and some lacing.

The aroma was bam in your face smoke. Just pouring filled that part of the room with campfire smoke smell. I love rauchbiers and have been dying to try this one for awhile. The aroma is one of my favorite parts of the style and this one doesn't disappoint. I saw the Thirsty Traveler on German beers that featured this one. Good story on the beech wood smoking. Campfire in a bottle. The taste was excellent (glad I got another bottle as this one was much better in the taste dept. I think the summer heat affected the original). Great smoky flavor but the base beer was very good as well. Starts off smooth and then the smokiness hits about halfway thru the drink. Not overpowering but with a great balance. This would go great with BBQ or smoked meat/fish. Can't want to try their other varieties as well. Mouthfeel was good.

Overall, an excellent that I highly recommend. Great example of the style. Only wish it was available here. Would be part of the semi regular rotation if here. Since it's not it's a definite pickup every time I go to Indy. Look forward to others by them.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

A- Very dark amber color, no sediment, great head and sticky lacing.

S- This smells like walking into my local meat market, bacon, venison and campfire.

T- big meat smokiness, venison, very dark dry chocolate maltiness.

M- Very low carb but great taste and finish.

D- What an amazing beer. Easily drinkable and will pair amazingly with meats. I intend to always have a couple of these in my fridge. Wow...

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

wow. i feel like i just got back from a BBQ. this is my first "smoke beer". poured very dark in the glass. you can just barely see some light through it. good carbonation and about one half inch head. aroma is of smoke and rich roasted malt. taste is surprisingly smooth and lighter finish than what the smell suggested. excellent lacing down the glass. this beer is lighter than expected but i dont think that this is a good style for me.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet