Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

I remember having had a Schlenkerla Rauchbier (not sure which type) some years ago and thought it was like drinking smoke ....
this one however tastes rather like a light stout (good dryness) with some smoked ham addition .... I am having it with some black forest ham ... just a delicious pairing ...

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a very dark ruby red colour with an inch or so of off white head. Quite a decent lacing is left.
S - Smell is all about the smoked meat - exactly like the deli area of the queen vic market where I bought it from. Polish smoked meats, italian smoked meats, you get the idea.
T - The smokiness is also quite present in the taste as well as a subtle caramel maltiness.
M - Quite full bodied and fairly carbonated.
D - Any more than one in a session would be too much but it's a top notch beer that I would recommend to someone wanting something different to the usual fare.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

1pint, .09oz bottle, into SA glass

A: dark brown, thin white foam rings the glass

S: wow! smells like the fire station when i walk in the morning after a fire, smoky, slight medicinal quality, earthy. Fantastic.

T: obviously smoky, oaked wood, sweet malt beneath the layers of smoke

M: medium body, light carbonation and very smooth

D: I love a Rauchbier and this is top notch

4.2/5  rDev +4%

1 pt 09 fl oz bottle, cold, poured into wide-mouthed brandy snifter type glass. This beer is much darker than it's Weizen relative, and the head seems much thinner. This beer is nearly black with just a little hint of amber at the edges. Correspondingly, the aroma is even deeper and more inviting than the Weizen. I've reviewed this beer before on tap at last year's GBBF, so I'll focus this review on the differences between this version and the bottled Weizen Rauchbier of the same make.

This beer is much more bitter. In that regard, it's actually flatter than the otherwise inferior Weizen version (coincidentally, it's also less fizzy, which works in its favor, in my opinion). The bitterness is of burnt malt and some German hops as well, and whereas the Weizen reminded me of tea, this reminds me more of particular smokey coffees (I like Allegro's Sulawesi Toraja, but my coffee-fu is not yet up to the standard of my Beer- or Tea-fu, so you may have to forgive my lack of vocabulary here).

Finally, there's a bit of an acidic of even iodine note in the very back of the flavor. Of the two, I prefer the Marzen, but both are great. No yeast in this bottle either.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

25 oz bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Dark brown-red translucent body with a good half inch of off-white head. Smells malty, peaty, and smokey. Tastes malty at first, but quickly goes to peaty and ashy... For the style, this is spot-on, and I suspect it'd pair greatly with a smoked Gouda or pork sausage. As it is, it's a bit overwhelming by itself for my taste. Nevertheless, nearly flawless and well-crafted for sure. It is what it is...

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow. I have to keep in mind that I'm reviewing this beer with the strict consideration of its style. I didn't think that a smoked flavor would mix well with beer but I am somewhat surprised here.I make my own jerky in a smoker and this beer also has the same kind of odor as smoked beef and venison. This beer does an excellent job of being what it's supposed to be.The beer has a nice dark reddish/gold appearance with thick off-white/dark yellow head and lots of lacing. It almost tastes just like my jerky as well minus the spicyness. But there's also a sweet kind of malt flavor as well. Maybe a little nutty, too? Not too thick, nor weak. Just right. This seems to be to be a special kind of beer that you only have one of as a treat while watching Family Guy and eating sharp cheddar cheese before you go to bed. I like this beer WAY better than the first time I had it about five or six years ago. Much better than I remember. Very good rauchbier.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Ahhh the bacon beer. Split a bottle with my gf.

A: Dark brown with minimal head. Almost none to speak of.

S: This beer is awesome here. Smoked bacon. You can almost taste the salty porky goodness when you inhale.

T: Good deal of malt in the initial sip then followed by smoke and ham. It sounds bad until you try this one. I keep making my friends try some when I get a bottle and when I say "Who wants a bacon beer?" they get upset until they take a sip.

M: Medium body. Nice amount of carbonation to compliment the style.

D: I never keep more than a bottle in my place because that is all you need. One of these is a nice departure but I could never envision myself having more than one. Definitely different a worth a try though.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle from Bevmo. This beer pours a very dark bark brown, with a cream colored head that slowly dissipates. The aroma is very strong with smoke and roasted malts. Flavor is very smoke forward, there is a character of smoked kielbasa, bacon, coffee and some earthy notes. Hops are well integrated and barely noticeable(no surprise considering the strong smoke flavor). The mouthfeel is silky but thin, carbonation is light but adequate. Finishes long with more smoke flavor. Overall I really like this beer, it has big bold flavors. Recommended

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Bubbly and transparent, with a color that goes from mahogany to rust-brown as you look toward the bottom of the glass. Over a finger of off-white head that displays good retention and lacing.

S: Mostly smells of fresh rolling tobacco, somewhat earthy and leathery, a deep smoky aroma.

T: Smooth and malty up front, which precedes a nice kick of smoke flavor that has an underlying sweetness, similar to a hickory barbeque sauce. Fades into a wet and enjoyable aftertaste, leaving that tinge of smoke on the palate.

M: Medium bodied, leaning more toward the lighter side as a Marzen, with a good level of carbonation and rather smooth to boot.

D: The classic smoke flavor of Schlenkerla is one that most seem to either love or hate. Personally, I enjoy the complexity and flavor it brings forth, transforming an everyday Marzen into a smoky delight.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A dark brown beer with a thin head.

Smell of smoked sausages with a woody, timberlike smell. This gives me an association with smoked fish, but this has nothing to do with it off course. Also a faint maltiness that is also a bit caramellic.

Taste of smoked sausage and smoked fatty fish. A light bitter combined with a maltbitterness on top of a light maltbase. The smoke sets the character of this beer and although the smoke is not sharp or burned, it lays a small layer of smoke in my mouth. Body is quite thin and carbonation is low. Aftertaste is lingering smoke.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Deep, reddish brown with a beautiful 2-finger head. Retention is great.

S: Smokey like a campfire, slightly fruity like a good Marzen. A really delicious aroma only found in Rauchbier.

T: Campfire, roasted malt, and a little fruit. Alcohol slightly noticeable. Slightly alkaline aftertaste. Aftertaste needs some work, but the main flavors are perfect. After the alkaline taste fades, campfire is still detectable.

M: Slightly chewy medium-bodied beer, but a little bit watery. Non-astringent and well-carbonated. Leaves a crisp feeling in the mouth, but not a clean feeling because of the smoke.

S: This is a very rich beer that should be a one-per-night sort of thing. I can't see myself drinking a lot of this at all. It drinks fairly slowly because of the richness.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

was cooking out today & keeping in the spirit, decided to do a rauch; this beer pours a dark copper color w/ a slight head that dissapates quickly decent lacing; a smoky sweetish aroma, hard to tell whats under the smoke, but it is pleasant; more smoke here w/ some hop flavor, a slightly caramel note; nice med body, clean finish w/ a smokey aftertaste that gently lingers, not overpowering at all, tho it gets a bit much towards the end; this beer went well with my brats & hots and is a very drinkable rauch indeed...

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Deep clear ruby in color with garnet hues. Thick and rich tan head that leaves behind lots of sticky lace on the glass. A quick swirl brings up a milkshake looking creamy head. Very appealing to the eye.

Incredible smoke aroma - similar to what you would get with smoked salmon. Very much present but not overpowering in the least.

Dominant smoke flavor throughout, but again - not overpowering. Some malt sweetness is present along with a hop light bitterness that rounds things out. Finishes up with caramel sweetness and linger smoke.

Silky smooth, medium in body and a mildly chewy. Dries up a bit and begs for another sip.

I really like the beer. Incredibly drinkable. Smoke is not overpowering at all. The malt sweetness and light hop twang add complexity. I am a big fan of anything smoky, and this beer is no exception. Had with some BBQ chicken wings and sharp cheddar, which made a very nice pairing.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

My first foray into the world of Rauchbiers.

Pours a semi-opaque, dark mahogany brown with a small head that lingers for about 30 seconds and leaves minimal lacing.

Aroma is extremely interesting. Obviously the first thing that hits you is the smoky smell of the malt. There are dark fruits (plum, fig, overripe papaya) as well as brown sugar and some .. umm.. roasted potatoes?

Taste was surprisingly good. I was afraid that the smoke flavor would overwhelm, but it was subtle, and therefore complemented the marzen. This one also gets more complex as it warms, and the nuances are too much to review here.Spice,.caramel, smoky malt, dark fruit/floral.. very nice.

Mouthfeel was a bit chewy, lingering on the tongue for a few seconds. A good beer, certainly worth a try, but not sessionable by any means.

I think I've found a new favorite! This smells like a good ol' southern bbq! Very porky/beefy aroma and a very smooth taste. Super dark, super rich and a wonderful treat. I can't even describe it, but I defintely spent about 10 minutes with my nose buried in the glass just enjoying the smell. This beer is a true masterpiece!

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

A - A perfectly clear deep ruby and garnet hued body resides beneath a thick and luscious two finger head of tan cream. Tons of creamy lace is left on the glass, and a quick swirl brings up a dense and solid looking finger of whipped cream head. I could loose myself looking into the deep dark depths of this dark crimson, ruby, and caramel colored brew!

S - Rich leather and spicy summer sausage. Salami, beef jerky, and pepperoni pizza. Tanned leather, like a country and western boot shop. Kibbles and Bits dog food and beefy dog treats. Outrageously beefy and spicy! I'm a huge beef jerky and sausage lover, and this smells outstanding.

T - What works so well in the nose doesn't really follow through in the flavors. It is much more mild and less sausage-y than the Urbock, but it still has some really smoky beef jerky flavors. Reminds me of smoky BBQ and that artificial "liquid smoke" that my mom used to keep in the refrigerator. Some really nice hops come out in the finish too, and add a nice tangy flavor to the smoked sausage. Also tastes a lot like a smoky beefy dog treat, and yes I've actually eaten a smoky beefy dog treat....they are really pretty good.

M - Has the feel and consistency of a heavier lager like a bock, and the finish is really smoky and dry. That dryness adds to the beef jerky vibe, and the spicy and smoky aftertaste lasts for days!

D - Could anything possibly be better with a sausage and cheese plate? I love rauchbiers...in fact, it's one of my favorite styles and this is a prime example of how drinkable a rauchy can be. Although I like the more powerful and assertive Urbock, this one is slightly more drinkable although much less complex. I need to do a side by side tasting of all the Aecht-Schlenkerla rauchbiers with a big ass give box of all of those cheeses and sausages from Swiss Colony. That would be heaven.

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

[first a brief story about why i had to try this one]

I bumped into a beer buddy on the 39 bus one night after work and he was pleased to show me that this was his choice of brews for the evening, and many evenings prior.. He cradled the bottle and spoke passionately about how thoroughly enjoyable it is. So here we go:

It turns out to be much darker than I expected, an almost opaque walnut color. It started with a full head but has thinned out alot. Carbonation can still be seen rising up to the surface. The smoke is noticeable before going up to the glass. It is a pleasant smell though, deep and rich reminding me of those Islay whiskies such as Lagavulin and Laphroaig and all those wonderfully peaty drams.

(Really, I can't get over how good it smells. Not every beer has an aroma that you can just sit there and enjoy.)

First taste: Overwhelmingly rich flavor takes over the palate. This beer is huge on taste.. Besides being smokey there is a bitterness like walnuts which ends with a big grain flavor. In a way I wish there was more to say about this beer but the simplicity and notable balance in it's character speak for itself.

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

A two finger soapy head with some minor lacing is present after pour, above the crystal marone body. Not greatly appetising, but far from upsetting.

Yeasty smoked ham is most evident in the aroma, but I can't help but smell anticeptic through it all, at the start of every sniff. Unfortunately, this ruins this aspect of the brew for me. It reminds me of having cuts on my knees treated with Detol and cotton-buds as a boy.

The taste greatly resembles beef jerky, with a fantastic peppery sausage flavour up front and the smoked flavour quickly following. Upon further investigation, I drift off and imagine myself sitting at an outback barbeque with a selection of meats dripping in caramelised sauces, the rich smell and flavour of campfire smoke and a fine full-body ale in hand. While that smokey taste is quite dominant, it leaves a world of wonder for your tastebuds sitting just behind it. Delicious, absolutely delicious. You can't help but appreciate and marvel at the brewing accomplishment, even if it's not your type of beer.

Carbonation is low, and results in a creamier than expected mouthfeel based on the appearance, even if slightly thinner than my preference - it's actually rather divine due to its almost perfect compliment to this Rauchbier brew's taste characteristics.

All in all I imagined that the smokey flavour may be a bit much, and after just a few initial sips you too might label it a taster and nothing more. However after finishing a bottle, I'm assured by my now adjusted tastebuds that I could quite easily have a few more. It's definately one to try, and once you've warmed to it, quite possibly one you could drink a lot more of.

Highly recommended - a true tasting experience with brew craftsmanship to be awed.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish chestnut with 3 fingers of brown tinged sand-colored fluffed up head. Superior head retention & good lacing

S: Smoked ham & a little breadyness

T: Smokey bacon, caramel,& peppery notes up front. Touch of molasses & dryness, slight chocolate, a whisper of vanilla notes & more smokeyness as this warms. Finishes dry, sticky, smokey with nice caramel notes

MF: Light/medium bodied, a little sticky, with medium carbonation & great balance

Drinks very easy, great raucshbier, a little more restrained (for better & worse) than the urbock, yummy!

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

This was the first Rauchbier I've sampled, and I must say it was a pleasant new experience. Holding the bottle up to the light, you can see the deep red come through, and the pour is a very pleasing burgundy-brown. The carbonation is also rather low, which compliments the flavor quite well.

Upon opening the bottle, the smoky smell comes right out, and while the first thought is smoked ham or something of the sort, it really is an appealing scent for a beer.

The first taste is incredibly strong, in both a good and bad way. It truly pleases the taste buds and is quite smooth, but the smokiness of the beer somewhat overpowers any other tastes at first. After a few sips, the flavor starts to mellow a little bit and the beer's fullness truly comes through. All in all, it's not necessarily a beer I would search out, and certainly one to drink too many of, but a tasty beer nonetheless.

Ahhh the most hated or loved of all styles: Rauchbier.

Aecht Schlenkerla Märzen has a polished, dark mahogany coloured body and chestnut highlights. At angles it reflects shades of burgundy. Very classy looking. It also has a thick outlaying head that, after a good swirl, reveals a tanned, marble looking cream which crowds the sides of the glass but leaves the center bare.

The aroma is an aggression of wood and beechwood smoke; it smells like a sauna filled with bratwurst caught fire. It strongly resemble smoke meats and reminds me of kielbasas in particular, but also salami, bacon, and sausage. Applewood smoked cheddar in a big way too. It is certainly something you need to both acquire a taste for and be in the mood for.

The mouthfeel is a well balanced medley of smoke and malts. It drinks well although is far too acquired of a taste to claim as widely 'agreeable' or 'approachable'. Carbonation is on the lower end. This should pair wonderfully with any meal featuring red or game meat.

The flavour isn't as aggressive with the smoke as the aroma. Make no mistake, it's still very much tasted, but is better integrated with malt on the palate; it is equally as malty as it is smoky. While the grain base is strong, the beer still tastes overwhelmingly like smoked bacon and also, I imagine, a bit like a fire log would.

The beer is recognizably well crafted and skillfully balanced... still, it can be a little overwhelming - off-putting even - on first try. It is perhaps the most acquired taste of all beer styles. It took me a bit of time to appreciate Rauchbiers, but I love them now. And those brewed by Brauerei Schlenkerla are unquestionably the best out there. Whether you end up loving or hate it, trying Rauchbier promises to be a unique experience.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. I got this via a trade, but I can't remember with who!

Dark, mostly opaque with some brownish-red highlights. Big 1 1/2 inch head off a vigorous pour. Medium-low carbonation from what I can tell, and lots of lace with good retention. Aroma is as advertised, smoky. My immediate thought is "meaty", because the only thing I've smelled this smoked is sausage. There's some background earth notes, some subtle floweriness, but it's all obscured by the smoky goodness.

Taste is wildly earthy and untamed, like the outdoors. Campfire smoke, and more smoke, sausage, some sweet malty caramel notes to balance, heathery sweetness as well. Some cocoa bitterness and lots of woody flavour as well with a good crackery malt base. Mouthfeel is awesome with a smooth, soft water feel, mellow, carbonation is just spot on, very mild and subtle. Light sticky driness in the finish, but creamy in the mouth. Well done, and I wish I had access to this beer in MB, it's just a natural pairing for so much good Eastern European food!

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one at a friend's beer-tasting session. First one on the list. Appearance is brown with a smallish head, a light touch of lacing. Nose is bacon, tons of of smoked malt. Likewise, the taste is smoked malt. Interesting, cause it's highly smoked but also very smooth. Meat flavors come through also. Almost no hops. Medium body. A tasty and unique one.

Deep brown and clear with reddish and burnt orange highlights. Fine beige foam settled quickly to a thick ring and thin layer of bubbles. Sticky, fine lacing. Smells like a combination of a camp fire and smoked meat. Really burnt and smokey. Mild bitterness with plenty of sweet malt, notes of caramel and brown sugar before the smokey flavour kicks in at the finish. Lightish body with moderate carbonation, solid mouthfeel. Although the smoke is strong in the aroma, it's really balanced nicely in the flavour. Rauchbiers really aren't my thing, but this one has a nice balance that I like without sacrificing the smoke. Still, it smells like smoked bacon. Maybe next time I should try it with Sunday brunch?

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

My first of the style.

Poured into a pint glass. Nice dark copper with a fairly thin but lasting head. Lacings coat fairly well for me.

Just to be different, I get some smoke on the nose. Comes across as cured meat, a nice smoked salami or maybe even some good smoked jerky.

Little bit of malty sweetness in the aroma that comes through in the taste, cutting through the smoke nicely. It makes it much more quenching than I ever would have thought the style would be. A great mouth feel, carbonation is just right and manages to be smooth without being thin. Finish is much more open wood fire than smoked sausage and it combines nicely with a long lasting bitterness.

Drinkability is higher than I would have thought. I can see drinking a few of these on a winter night in Bamberg. Nice beer, nice style.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla