Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Guinness4me

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%

I thought I'd at least try this without reviewing, but I feel compelled after tasting. It looks like a decent dark beer, but the the description of the smell is not easily broken down into the choices given. It's anything but average, but to some I'm sure it's wonderful As aromas go, I'm sure this is a very good smell for smoked beers. It just happens to be my first and I'm a bit shocked.

The taste is that of the liquid at the bottom of the pan from when you've baked a nice, juicy smoked ham. I'm not sure if I'm appalled or intrigued. I keep trying it again to see if it really tastes as it does.

It's a non-offensive mouthfeel. It tastes like my hair smells when I've sat around a camp fire for hours.

Drinkability? I'll drink it. But I feel like I should be eating beef jerky, too. Maybe it would be nice with a full country breakfast.

08-16-2004 01:28:59 | More by Guinness4me
bditty187

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Dark brown with heavy ruby influences, when held to a light it keeps its depth of color in the middle but it became shiny-ruby around the edges. The head was foamy and bubbly; at the apex it was a modest finger in height. The head retention was decent; it faded to a soapy collar, foamy in the middle with naked pockets, thicker on the outside. This collar lasted a very long time but the subsequent lacing was nonexistent. The first time I took a sniff of a Rauchbier I thought it was awful. Now, my mouth waters and I find the smoky aromas so damn inviting. The Marzen has some potent smells of smoked ham and bacon, charred fat, beechwood campfire smoke. Damn it is lovely, the complexities all fall into some general categories but it is undeniably complex. I swear at the very back is a suggestion of malt. Inviting. While the nose is loud, the palate is quit the conversationalist! The beer is perfectly balanced and so wonderfully constructed that it is a sin. The true smoky qualities are really only found in the aftertaste, it is like exhaling a fine cigar. Upfront is some ample maltiness, juicy. In the middle come the bacon, ham, and fatty flavors. I don’t think they are quite as bold as they are in their Urbock, still if you’re not use to the style it will still be a bit much for you, IMO. Somewhere after the meat and before the smoke is a fleeting moment of true Marzen maltiness. I am impressed with the bitterness in the finish, it seems more than just astringency from the roast maybe there are some hops (but most likely not). Regardless the palate is damn yummy. The mouthfeel is okay, I wish there was a little more bulk on the tongue and some more carbonation. Still with a medium body and moderately low carbonation I am not complaining. I purchased a bottle in Burnsville, MN. I will buy more in Iowa City or KC as I have learned to love the style. Wonderful. Bring on the BBQ!

08-06-2004 20:39:46 | More by bditty187
BierManVA

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Brauerei Heller-Trum is of course the worlds leading Rauchbier macher. This style originates there in Bamburg Germany and is an amazing brew for those of you who have never had it.

I've heard people say "It smells like a ham!" upon their first encounter. And I must say "they're right". As bad as that sounds, one soon realizes that the smell is powerful, but the smokey taste is much smoother than one would expect.

This smoked bier is original and delicious.

Don't miss it. I highly recommend it.

John

07-28-2004 02:41:51 | More by BierManVA
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Mmmm... this smells like a Christmas ham roasting in front of an old fireplace, or the old smoker (a hollowed-out 1950s refrigerator) my grandfather used to use to cure salmon. Yeah, it's smoky.

Really dark copper-black with a frothy and short-lived light tan head. Extra-smoky malt flavor, a bit of hoppiness underneath, predominant meaty, woody flavors. A tiny molasses finish. Chewy but mellow mouthfeel, you feel like you forgot to open the flue for the woodstove by the time you're done though.

You definitely have to like the Rauchbier style to like this one. Tastes really good, but not one I could slug back more than one of, it's just too smoky, especially in the finish, not very refreshing but a strong example of the style.

07-21-2004 01:13:53 | More by PopeJonPaul
vitesse

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

served in 500 mL brown bottle.

what a unique beer! very one-of-a-kind thing going on here. it's a pretty difficult beer to objectively rate because it all really comes down to whether or not you like the smoked flavor.
it's a basic marzen type beer. nice dark-red and brown color. tan head. medium body. the smokiness is akin to that of gouda cheese. i don't think it's necessarily "meaty," but you can definitely taste and smell the smoked malts that are used to make this beer.
little to no hop aroma or bitterness. slightly sweet german maltiness. very little in the way of fruity esters.
for me, it's a once-in-a-while beer. not something i'd drink every day but it was definitely an enjoyable drink.

07-18-2004 20:37:03 | More by vitesse
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Dark reddish copper with fine suspended particles that are only visible when the glass is backlit. The ecru-colored head is average in size, is semi-soft and is slightly sticky. It disappears a bit too quickly and doesn't leave much lace.

Rauchbier Marzen smells overwhelmingly of smoke and, in fact, reminds me of smoke-cured meat. It's a pleasant aroma, it's just that it's an odd one coming from a pint of beer. I can still tell that I'm smelling beer though because I do appreciate the malt that's underlying the smoke.

This is my first smoked beer (Stone Smoked Porter doesn't count) and I'll have to say that it's an interesting cocoction. I'm glad that the brewers didn't go overboard with the smokiness. They were *just* judicious enough with the flavor intensity in my opinion. In less subtle hands, this could have turned into a glass of Liquid Smoke and been ruined.

There's a nicely charred, sweetly malty base line and a pleasant, 'just-right' smokiness that comprises the middle and top notes. Again though, I can't escape the scent memory of smoke-cured meat. That's not a bad thing since I like smoke-cured meat. And now I like 'smoke-cured meat in a glass'.

I'm not sure how well ASRM would match up with really smoky BBQ. It seems to me that the powerful flavor of the food would render the somewhat more fragile flavor of the beer moot. Best to enjoy this one without accompaniment, as I'm doing now. I don't know yet if anyone makes a more impressive rauchbier, but I'm plenty satisfied with this one.

07-12-2004 20:44:30 | More by BuckeyeNation
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +1%

What a deep amber colour. Beautifully dark and red with a white cloud floating atop it. Lots of sticky lace on the glass. Mesmerising to see. Hmm, barbecue. Smells a bit like smoked meat, with even a bit of ham smell. Odd for a beer, but it's making me hungry. Smoky malt sweet smell. Very slight hop aroma behing the ham. First sip tastes like roasted pork. Second sip, and it tastes like a beer. A beer smoked inside a meathouse beside salmon and whole ham. Almost a meal drink. Aftertaste is a bit hoppy, with more smoked salmon than ham. Odd, but nice. I can understand why people would hate this beer. Hey, some people don't want roasted swine in their beer. Thick, full bodied mouthfeel leaves the stomach pleasantly plump. Not drinkable in a short period of time, but something that will be drunk again.

06-28-2004 23:03:18 | More by slitherySOB
connecticutpoet

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

This one poured a lovely red color with a good head that lingered. It bore much promise.

The aroma was of light wood smoke, not too malty. It wasn't overpowering, but it let you know you were in for an experience.

The taste was more mild than I expected, with a rich depth of malt and the smokiness overlaying everything. Hints of maple in the aftertaste.

Definitely one to try.

06-25-2004 02:35:13 | More by connecticutpoet
merlin48

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

This rauchbier pours a deep copper body with a beige head that stays the course. Sticky lace sheets the glass.

Aroma is maple smoked bacon, as are the other Schlenkerla biers I've tried. This one features some molasses maltiness underneath the immense smokiness.

Mouthfeel has medium body, low carbonation, and...smoke.

Taste reminds me of Westphalia ham, smoky, sweet, and slightly salty. Some sweetish malt can be tasted underneath, and hop bitterness is present for balance. I keep wondering what these Bamberg rauchbiers would taste like when served with pancakes, maple syrup, and country ham. Finish and aftertaste feature a solid dose of smoke charred beechwood.

If you're not familiar with these Franconian rauchbiers, you owe it to yourself to try one. At least, enjoy reading this brewery's website for its informative and rewarding explanation of the style.

06-18-2004 23:38:38 | More by merlin48
pootz

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a rich reddish-copper (almost like crystal cola) in the glass. A 2 finger tan fine pored head sprang up but reduced quickly to only a ring on the glass. Not overly carbonated. overriding aroma is of smoke...good food processing smoke like birch or hardwood...reminiscent of westphalia ham. The first gulp the smoke overpowers your senses..all go blotto on the smoke signals...but after you have a sip or two or you finish a couple of pieces of cheese or oysters, the smoke power wanes and you get the mellow character of this delicate marzen lager...and it is delicate... with lots of subtle complexity (well made) you just don’t get there on the first couple of gulps because it's cloaked by the smoke. All in all this is a toughie of a beer to slot...great german beer but perhaps too damn strong on smoke for some to be useful for anything else than a drink with similar strong tasting foods to off set them....like Jalapeno-infused anything or a strong tasting fish meal....I really like this beer and I drink it on its own in a session with out food but then I'm a marzen junke and Bamburg smoked marzen is a real treat for me....I had smoke taste up my nostrils and on the palate the next day...and loved it!

06-11-2004 22:37:53 | More by pootz
Beersignal

Quebec (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Limpid deep chestnut brown coloured liquid poured into the glass yielding rich crimson highlights. A rather abundant off white head of fluffy foam topped the beer but did not stick around long. Had good adherence to the glass.

Solid aromas of beechwood smoke dominate a faint trace of caramel malt which only manages to manifest itself for a brief moment, until it is once again overpowered by the smoke.

A sporadic bead rises from the sides of the glass but erupts in the mouth into a sustained carbonation. The beer is rather light in body and slightly astringent. Faint signs of malt briefly grace the tastebuds and are surrounded by big notes of smoke... but not much more. A very weak taste experience that finishes with a jumble of smoky bitterness.

My memories were of a beer which was much more intense on all levels of appreciation. I remember it more rounded without being heavy and, although smoke dominated past samples, more of the caramel and malt expressed themselves. I must have gotten an old bottle.

06-11-2004 01:47:58 | More by Beersignal
Southernbrew

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours brown with a bubbly head. Leaves some decent lacing.

Big smoke aroma, smells like bacon frying.

Medium body with very little carbonation. Very pleasing smokiness. Light malt sweetness shows up first and then moves to a bacon-like flavor, but it's much better than it sounds. Leaves a dry, smoky aftertaste.

This is my first rauchbier and it won't be my last. It's great in June and it's probably even better in December with some beef stew.

06-06-2004 03:53:45 | More by Southernbrew
Skidz

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours out light brown and sits a dark, reddish brown in the glass with a good sized off-white head on top.

Smells of smoked fish/sausage, with a hickory/maple base. A bit of caramel and malt lie underneath the incredibly smoky aroma.

Tastes initially sweet with dark sugars and a light apply flavor. Quickly moves on into smoke country where a billow of rich flavors move across your mouth. Maple, caramel and that hickory smoked flavor run all over; a good combination of sweet and salty. A very tasty smoked beer, the first I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth with great carbonation levels, nothing overpowering. Leaves a slightly oily feel behind that reminds me of eating smoked salmon. Great hearty beer, perfect for a meal with burgers.

05-24-2004 02:46:36 | More by Skidz
Bierguy5

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

From the bottle pours a deep rich mahagony color with an off white foamy head. The head disappeared quickly, and there was little lace on the glass. What an incredible smell. All I could really grasp was the smokiness. There may have been a hint of something else, but I could not find it. Taste was a nice rich maltiness followed a a nice amount of dry smoke. Seemed a bit thin, and not much carbonation. Overall, I thought this was a very interesting beer. It was rather smooth, and had a nice smoky flavor that was not too powerful, but was certainly there. Not very drinkable, but I would certainly like to pair this one up with some food.

05-20-2004 02:24:05 | More by Bierguy5
oberon

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Well this is not my favorite style of beer for sure but wanted to give this one a try,pours a deep amber with pretty light head.Huge smokey aroma like being next to a bonfire almost,taste is deeply smoked like smoked ham or sausage the beer has decent dry ending.Smokey and slightly sweet harsh on the taste buds for awhile I am sure a classic example but not my thing.Gave it a good rating however knowing this one is about as good as it gets for the style.

05-19-2004 13:55:06 | More by oberon
ViveLaChouffe

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a dark ruby but that's not really the color. Looks like the water at Blackwater Falls in WV. If you've been, you know. If not I apologize for my lack of color vocabulary. Sort of a ruby-brown I guess. A good sized tan head but it quickly dissipates. Some light lacing. Smells like pork rinds. That's all I can smell. It's smoky and porky and smells just like pork rinds to my nose.

Taste is overwhelmingly smoky to my palate. I mean, I have had rauchbier before but only American versions. This is the smokiest damn beer ever. Smoked pork, smoked shrimp are the flavors that come to mind. As I slowly get my tongue around the smoke, it is a nice malty marzen in there somewhere. Not sticky but a smooth maltiness. A very defined cigar aftertaste but I like cigars so that's cool with me. Not too drinkable for me, a sipper for sure but an experience in itself. As a beer advocate, you usually have some sort of reference for a style but this beer is unique to me. A singular taste adventure that is not to be missed if you want to learn about beer.

05-15-2004 17:11:23 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Mitchster

4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours out to a sparkling clear beautiful garnet with ruby accents, forming a soapy nice-sized light-tan head with good retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate, despite this bottle only having 1/4" of head space. Aroma is wonderful as I've come to expect from this brewery...nice solid smoke tones, but not overwhelming, with a lightly roasted malt balance in tow, and even some hops are discernable. Cleanly fermented. Mouthfeel is lively and very smooth with a clean finish and pleasantly medium-light body. The taste is heaven...The smoke is there, but in exquisite balance with the gentle roastiness and mild residual sweetness of the malts. The finish is crisp and clean with a lingering touch of bitterness floating on the tongue complementing a pleasant wisp of acidity and coffee. Alcohol is imperceptable and there are no off-flavors. This is simply a world-class brew.

This beer is amazing. Rich in complexity, uniquely smoky but with an exceptional drinkability...never off-putting and wonderfully balanced. Ahhhh...happiness.

05-08-2004 16:27:12 | More by Mitchster
Boto

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

Imperial Pint Bottle: This beer pours an almost clear, brown color. There was about no head to it, although it was a little carbonated. The aroma was smokey, even bordering on the aroma of smoked fish. Nothing else seems to be able to get through. The taste is smokey also. A bit of maltiness in the background. This just doesn’t get it for me.

04-30-2004 20:35:00 | More by Boto
sulldaddy

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

I am sampling this brew at room temp and pouring into my snifter. The brew pours a rich ruby red with some mahogany tints. The smoke aroma is immediately apparent.
A small offwhite head foams up and quickly fades to an edge layer. Aroma is smoke and smoke, similar to smoked sausage or cheese. The first sip reveals a smooth tingly carbonation and lighter body than I expected. Flavor is a brief hit of sweet malt followed by smokiness that lingers for a while in my mouth. This is a tasty brew if you like smoked food, otherwise avoid it. I am probably going to use this in my chilli next time I make a batch.

04-06-2004 04:10:37 | More by sulldaddy
cedricwarner

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

This is one of the beers that completely changed my perceptions about what a beer could be. My brother takes a few of these with sandwiches when he goes ice fishing in Fargo. A deep dark appearance with a rich thick mouth feel are nice, but the flavor is really incredible. Rich smoke, like that found in smoked Gouda cheese overwhelms the palate (in a good way). A tasty meal in a bottle. I've found that the Marzen goes best with the smoked flavor out of the three Aecht Schenkerlas.

04-02-2004 16:37:44 | More by cedricwarner
woemad

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

1pt. 9oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.07(this place has the funkiest prices). Was surprised to see it. I had always been curious about German smoked lagers. My only smoked beers previously had been smoked porters from U.S. micros.

This poured a dark reddish brown. Medium sized off-white head that dropped fast, after a fairly vigorous pour. Slight, thin sheets of lace.

This smells like smoked sausages. I got a hankering for German cuisine just by sniffing the opened bottle. I like the smell of smoked sausage, but it's a bit odd coming from a beer. There was nothing else that I could pick out, the smoked odor was pretty overwhelming.

The taste was good, if you like smoked sausage. Like the smell, the taste was totally dominated by the smoked malts. This is a good thing if you like that kind of flavor, very bad if it puts you off. There's a very slight hop note at the finish, but it's doing all it can just to be noticed. This doesn't seem to balanced, but it may be on purpose.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick, though not to the point of a good doppelbock. For a marzen, it's probably about right.

This is a tasty beer if it's your cup of tea. I don't think it is something many people would like to consume in any quantity. It's rather filling, like a plate of good smoked German sausages. This would probably complement grilled meat. Time to fire up the grill!

04-01-2004 08:45:56 | More by woemad
abents

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Pours an amber brown with small white head and good lacing.

Smell: Wow, smells like smoked sausage most definitly. Along with a slight sweet smell makes this smell delicious.

Taste: It's like drinking summer sausage. The smoky flavour carries this brew and adds great enjoyment to my drinking. I have never had any beer like this before and I like it. Leave it to the Germans to make a beer that tastes like sausage I guess. Small citrus taste in the finish, but lingering smokiness fills your mouth. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, very robust and quenching. Small ammount of carbonation if any.

Drinkability: Ummm... Drinkable if you like sausage. I do, but it's hard to finish the whole thing. Share with friends or drink with food.

Interesting beer to say the least. Try again with a German dinner to ensure a great evening.

04-01-2004 03:52:12 | More by abents
tjd25

France

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

A nice foamy head on a mahogany color. The smell is wonderful: as soon as your nose gets close to the glass, you smell this incredible smoked bacon aroma. That was great. The taste was exactly what I expected from the smell: a great smoked bacon flavor, with a nice carbonation, and a slightly citric aftertaste that gives the beer a high drinkability and a very refreshing aspect. It's amazing to see what you can do with malts once they get smoked. A very good surprize for me. I definitely want to have this one again.

03-27-2004 17:41:34 | More by tjd25
TinusTime

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Pours a medium brown ( it was hard to tell as the beer was poured into a krug) with a nice foamy tan head.. The nose is of sweet smoked meat. In the words of Homer Simpson mmmm bacon beer. Taste is quite nice with a bit of sweet malt at the beginning, then the wonderfully done smoked malt charging to the fore, it ends with just enough hops to dry out and cut the smoke. This went wonderfuly with the schnitzel I had, but to have it with some grilled meats or nice sausages would be heavenly. Mouthfeel was almost oily, but the carbonation provided enough so that the smoke didnt linger like a dirty ash tray. Drinkability is good. I wouldnt pound these all night, but a couple with food is a no-brainer. I will definately seek this out and order it again.

03-22-2004 17:21:56 | More by TinusTime
GreatPondBrewer

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Some people like this style some people hate it. I think I fall into the former catagory. On tap at the Toad, whcih was a pleasent surprise. Poured a hazy muddy brown color with a little bit of a grey head. Smelled of nothing but smoke. The kind of smoke that clings to your clothes after sitting around a campfire for a couple nights. Deep woody flavors and a bit of smoked salmos as well. Taste had more of that huge herby smokiness, but the finish was almost cracker like in its toastiness. very interesting blend of tastes. I would say that you should definitely try this beer even if you don't like smoked anything. it will be worth it.

03-16-2004 22:59:48 | More by GreatPondBrewer