Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I bought this on a whim at Selfridge's in London because the description they had posted sounded interesting. It's a 500 mL bottle, with all the labels in German, and some sort of freshness dating on the back that is either not legibly filled out or is too complicated for me to understand. It pours a dark reddish brown, with not too much head, into a normal pint glass.

The smell immediately reminds me of bacon or smoked ham. The sign at the store said it would, and it recommended drinking with smoked meat or barbeque. I don't have a grill or any meat, but I perservere onward.

It's creamy and smooth, very easy to drink, and the smokiness is readily apparent. It reminds me of eating jerky. It's a bit fruity, but not very sweet, and it's reminiscent of the less bitter bitters I've had. I like it a lot. At this point I really wish I were eating barbeque.

stopmakingsteve, May 06, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Clear mahogany tone. Bubbly beige head. Lace is sparse. Bigtime smoke hits the nostrils up front. Like a smoldering campfire. It's huge. But I like it. And there's sweet malt tones on the nose as well. Sweet, sugary malt backbone. Smoke is placed everywhere you look. Thick cigar tar. Pipe residue. Oh yeah, there's a presence. This marzen base doesn't quite work as well as their bock base, but it's still good. The body is big and full. Carbonation seems appropriate and on the light side. Enjoyable.

Bighuge, May 01, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Pint & 0.9 oz from Chef's Pantry (as were the wonderful steaks, chocolate, and cheese). Served @ 45°F and sipped slowly warming through about 55°F.So aromatic from beechwood smoked malts, each taste was total pleasure and full of rich complex taste with mouthfeel that invited you to never swallow.

"Schlenkern" is an old German expression for walking not straight (just like a drunk person does). Allegedly one of the former brewers had a funny way of walking due to an accident (or maybe due to the beer), and so he was called the "Schlenkerla" This name was assigned to the tavern also and ultimately the beer.

Aecht is old German for "genuine" and Rauch is German for "smoke". wonderful illustrations of the beechwood fires used to dry the malts are on the website.

Acclaimed in Michael Jacksons Great Beer Guide it is said to pair well with smoked ham or sausages. If I could live my life over the one thing I would surely change was having Schlenkerla in place of the Lonestar with the succulant pig we roasted in S. Texas earlier this month. We followed this with Stone Smoked Porter - never thought I would find a Stone lacking in the flavor catagory. Never say never.

karst, Apr 23, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle with no dates into a mug.

Amber brown with a tan, sticky head that has good retention.

The nose is dominated, pleasantly, by a meaty smoke but there is a slight sweetness underneath. For someone who enjoys smoked meats and cheeses, this is very mouth watering.

Again, smoky notes are first in line upon tasting, but there is some sweet malt in the background, with some dry hops joining the smoke in a lingering finish. Very nice.

The medium mouthfeel and carbonation make this a very drinkable brew, especially when paired with smoked salmon.

ypsifly, Apr 20, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

57F
Burnt orange, large froth the color of sun-dried bone collapses to a light, airy, fluffy meringue. I love the smoke my friends! Smells like country smoked ham and whole wheat bread.
Tastes meaty. Thin, but not lacking in flavor. Some buttery feeling. The smoke wafts across the scene: I'm sitting on the porch munching the last of the wrinkled apples that over-wintered in a barrel down cellar. The missus is frying up some early dandelion greens with bacon. I could till some compost into the garden plot, or I could sit back and relax with a good beer -- this beer. Tasty. Earthy. Mellow.

gbontrag, Apr 15, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

I purchased a few of these to go with a BBQ, to accompany some ribs specifically. It is a dark, chestnut colored brown with an unexpectedly rich and foamy head of light brown.

The aroma is as smoky as you would expect, but in no way unappetising. It definately has an oily, cured meat thing going on, very meaty smelling. There's just enough malty aromas to balance the smoke a bit. I smell a bit of tasty chocolate caramel as well.

A very tasty blend of sweet smokey flavors , charred dark malts, and a nice hop addition to remind you that you're drinking beer. There's an unexpected appearance of chocolatey flavors that remind me of a good porter, weird. It's simply wonderful with the BBQ meal we're having.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy, with a medium body. I would like to try this beer on it's own, without food to see if it still tastes as good. I really enjoyed this one.

AlexJ, Apr 13, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

I have seen this beer many times and very purchased it. Pours out a dark, reddish-brown color. Very clear with a good size off white head. The smell is exactly as I expected, smoky. Smoky like cured meet or partially burnt wood. The taste is actually very similar to the smell at the beginning and end. Sweet smoked salami with a solid malt background. I also pick up something a bit metalic in the middle.

The taste is actually much smoother than I expected. Drinks very easily and is refreshing. I really expected a beer that I could chew on. Some day I will go to Bamberg and try this on tap.

CharlesRiver, Apr 08, 2005
1.8/5  rDev -55.4%

Saw the bottle in the cooler and had to try it. A good looking bottle has to have good beer in it. Not at all what I had expected. I love Stone Smoked Porter. I figured since this was a German offering it had to be as good if not better. Alas, there are some things the Germans aren't good at. The pour looked real good, deep dark with a light head. The carbonation seemed nice. I'm not a fan of high carbed brews like Saisons. Then came the nose. Wow! I've thrown wet newspapers on a fire that had a better smell. A cross between Kipper snacks and smoked oysters. While I love both of those, that kind of smoke flavor doesn't work here. The taste, the same, that same nauceous smoke is on the tongue now. The mouth was extremely light. I had a hard time with this one so, needless to say, drinkability didn't impress me at all. I've had other smoke brews since, always going at them a little gun shy after this. However, none have been this bad. I'll stick to a Stone from now on.

cro250klr, Mar 29, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Pours a ruby and brown color with a sticky thick velvety head.

Smell: Smoked smell is immediate and most prominant throughout. Reminds me of smoked Gouda cheese and extinguished campfires. There is a sweetness burried in there too.

Taste: This is really fantastic in flavor...very bold and full. The smokey, wood flavors have a richness that reminds me of meat and cheese. Its very filling in this way - your tongue can only handle so much. The aftertaste is brief - especially considering how much flavor is in the there.

Mouthfeel: The body is very nice - smooth, thick with a few peppered bubbles here and there.

Drinkability: This is not a beer. It is a snack. Treat it with caution and enjoy.

GuinnessSmurf, Mar 25, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

I picked up a few of these when I was in Toronto after trying one at Beer Bistro. Its deep brown with ruby tints. Nice creamy beige head that is quite dense.
Aroma of black licorice and smoked dried sausage. Makes me think of Polish sausages hanging from my Mom's kitchen cuboards. One of the most unique, memorable aromas of any beer I have experienced.

Head gives way to a thin layer leaving lacing from the receded head but no lacing as you drink the beer.

Taste is pleasant, but disapointing. After the look and the aroma its kind of a letdown. Malty but a hint of burnt malt - i guess thats the idea of smoking the malt. I can't really detect the tastes that I am smelling. Really doesn't wow me. Very mild hop presence and a bit of a salty aftertaste.

Thin mouthfeel, just washes around in your mouth - i was hoping for big and beefy, but at least it makes for good drinkablity, this could be a session beer.

SaunaKing, Mar 19, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

A dark ruby red/light brown in color; the aroma hits you like a vapor-rub. Dark roasted malts, chocolate are the undertones, a massive smoky-charcoal smell; invigorating and enjoyable, reminder of smoked salami or smoked ham. A clinging murky white head with some round patches also should be noted. Color me happy and ready. Malt based, yet nearly chewy, has some sweetness that is easily detectable. Smoky – unique flavors that leave you scratching – bacon, ham-like flavorings and even some caramel flavorings. The body becomes a bit spicy and sweeter towards the bottom of the pint glass. Medium bodied with yet more offerings – some dark, dark roasted malts and coffee beans as it warms to near room temperature. Enjoy at just below room temperature; complex, tasty and very enjoyable!

GeoffRizzo, Mar 05, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearence: Pours a dark brown with a thin, bubbly beige head.

Smell: Smoked meat! Barbecue! Just like the Urbock....

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste differs greatly from the Urbock, unlike the smell. The smokiness is not overpowering, but almost a subtly to a good malt taste. It's not fake or phony tasting. The aftertaste lingers with a smoky flavor that starts to get old. The mouthfeel is thin yet creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: This not your average beer. If you want something new and different give this (or any Rauchbier) a shot. The smokiness is not for everyone, nor is it for everyday, but you're in the mood this beer could hit the spot. This is not a session brew, and I don't think it was meant to be one. This is a beer to ponder with.

santoslhalper, Feb 25, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -26.2%

I tried this beer in a Brooklyn Beer House who had just gotten it on tap. Knowing little about Rauchbier; I was surely excited and loved the dark brown color of the brew when it was served; hardly any foam to show. The smell made me chuckle already, and the first zip made me shake. I thought I just ate pork-roast. It is surely unique; but definetly no drink you can enjoy an evening long. One with a harty meal would be all I can imagine!

Dasa1044, Feb 10, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

A dark brown beer with amber highlights. Has a small off white head. There is a strong robust smokey aroma, like opening a pack of smoked meats, with a hint of sweetness in the back. The smokey flavor rolls smoothly over your tongue. The finish has a nice snap of hop bitterness.

ybnorml, Feb 05, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a dark brown with a coppery red in the light. The head is thick and light tan, with ample lacing. Smell... Whoa! Smells like smoked sausage! I'm on a diet right now, and to smell something like this right now is wonderful. Very strong, could smell it from a foot away at least. Taste was definitely smokey, but lighter than expected. Some malts and quite a bit of hoppy bitterness as well, the finish is primarily smoked sausage... :) It's like I ate a plate of sausages, but I didn't... Mouthfeel was surprisely light and quite refreshing. I would drink this again... but not all day as long as this diet is going... :(

tatterdash, Jan 05, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

The color is a dark brune, with copper reflexes. It has a brownish head, beautiful on the top, not the same on the side. Good persistence.
The nose is a prepotent smoked. Prepotent, but non overwhelming. Very pleasant. Wood smoke, ash. Good!
At the taste the smoked is less prepotent, and the malty notes come out well. But the smoke comes back and it is very long in the aftertaste.
Good body, adeguate.
In the aftertaste, beside the smoked, there is also an herbal note.
Very good!

stcules, Jan 04, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

After living in Kansas City for about a decade I became a real fan of Barbecue. This is as close to a Barbecued Beer as you can get.

Pours a deep chestnut brown with an ample tan head that leaves lots of lace work, coating the glass as the beer is consumed.

Smells of sweet malt, earth and beechwood smoke. Unbelievably so.

Tastes malty with strong smokiness and some hop bitterness. Finish is short and relatively dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with some carbonation.

Very drinkable, especially late at night watching a good movie.

Citadel82, Jan 02, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours deep auburn with a short, but stable off white head. Aroma of smoke. Ham, bacon pick any smoked meat with a little malt sweetness. Moderate body and medium carbonation.

This is not a brew to consume in mass quantities. I don't know if I'd enjoy this alone, but it compliments artisinal cheddar chees quite well.

frazbri, Dec 31, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

16.9 ouncer, poured a rich shade of almond, tan head, clear, malty smokey nose, taste here obviously is smokey. Basically tastes like a smoke house. Interesting, complex stuff, I doubt this brew is for everybody, but as I like smoked food, smoking foods and BBQ in general, I enjoy this stuff. I doubt I'd enjoy more then one or two.

Billolick, Dec 21, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Clear and dark brown, with a foamy, lasting layer of white suds.

Aroma of bacon, leaf fires, dry herbs.

Taste is a bit of a letdown compared to the bock version; this has a thin leafy taste with less smoke flavor than the aroma promises.

Not heavy enough on malt; what does exist here is light, toasty, and fairly dry. Burning leaves and a hint of sweetness appear in the finish.

Very easy drinking and a nice rauchbier aroma, but the taste is lacking oomph.

shirfan, Dec 10, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

One big beautiful Marzen, pouring an almost ruby amber color. The head was thin but had some staying power. The aroma reminded me almost of a barbecue. The smokiness is very strong but really lovely. It reminds me of the hickory-smoked ham aroma.

The taste was all about smoky, malty goodness. The roasted malt was carried to what my friends consider an extreme, but I think tastes great. Again, this is sort of like drinking a beer that sat next to the barbecue and picked up the smoky flavor, but with the sweetness that comes with all the malt. There was very little bitterness, but the smoke balances the sweetness.

The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected but otherwise enjoyable. I couldn't make this a session beer without overdosing on the smoke, but I love the occasional journey into the rauchbier realm.

rdrummer, Nov 30, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Very dark for a marzen, with low head retention.

Aroma: Very strong smoky aroma, with a touch of toasty malt.

Flavor: A little sweet malt followed by strong smokiness that just fills the mouth, but doesn't completely overwhelm the tastebuds. Decent body, though slightly watery, medium-low carbonation, and a very smooth texture/mouthfeel. Smoke hangs around long after the finish.

By far my favorite of the Schlenkerla line. The Urbock is overwhelmingly smoky, and the Weizen is just light smoke with few hefeweizen notes. This is the most balanced of the beers.

allengarvin, Nov 10, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen:

Deep garnet pour with virtually no head…not what I expected. Sweet smoky nose. A mild smoky flavor hovers over a nice malty sweetness. I really like this, and I think it would be a good introduction for anyone new to the style (unlike it’s big brother Urbock). No lacing but who cares…very drinkable and I find myself just staring into it’s smoky abyss and contemplating it’s layers of flavor. This brew is a nice surprise and I suspect I will find it in my cellar on a regular basis. Highly recommended.

Cheers…

markman, Nov 09, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

I'll admit it. I've hid with fear from rauchbier. Rogue's Smoke ale was way too much for me at the time. But the time of denial has passed - time to take a fair evaluation. There was just no more avoiding this classic in the liquor store cooler.

The appearance surprises me; much lighter in both color and viscosity, something akin to a brown ale with a wonderous lacing.

The nose is what I expected diving in, tons of simmering smokiness. And yes, the first sip is truly akin to biting into some sort of smoked meat. Like a wickedly hoppy beer, this is huge at first and subsides before the beer is half gone. Unlike most of those beers, when your tongue gets aquainted with the possibly unsettling flavor of peatiness there's a beautifully crafted, complex-as-hell beer lingering underneath there.

Why I was ever afraid perplexes me.

Try everything.

GreenWBush, Nov 08, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

The beer poured crystal clear deep amber with a white long lasting head which lasted to lace the glass.

The aroma was beechwood smoked malt, deeply ashtray with maltiness in the background.

The flavor was the taste of smoked sausage then malty with Vienna malt and Munich but smoke still dominated the malty flavors.

The finish was dry with lasting smoke and the body was medium.

16.9 ounce bottle.