Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,952 | Reviews: 1,024
4.49/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a stumpy 22 oz bottle.
Color is a rich amber. Very clear. Very decent Head.

Aroma is WOW! Bacon. Makes me want to find some pork and smoke it .

Taste is smoky but not overpowering like the aroma would have you think. This beer definitely grows on you. After the shock of the first few sips you move to some sort of nirvana. This is a great drink!

Finish is clean as you would expect from a lager. Suprisingly this would be a good session beer.

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

Time for the rauch... this one has been cellaring since Sept/07 or 6-7 months. 5.10% abv, 500mL bottle. Hardcore label. Cellar temp into a wine glass.

Nice appearance. Deep dark brown opaque body, with a brown-tinged beige head. Even looks smoky.

Aroma is very unique. Smoked meat and wood. Some steak sauciness too (sweet spiciness). Hint of maltiness.

Palate is subtler. Maltiness is soft - perhaps from my aging. Creamy mouthfeel. Not too powerful in any direction. A little smoked & spiced meat. Finish gets a lot smokier, spicy noble hopped too. Now I'm getting liquid smoke.... sort of a cross between tobacco and wood. Unique. A bit off in the finish but not too bad.

A beer unlike any other I've had. I'd love to try another rauch.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A_Pours a dark brown with ruby red highlights when held to the light. A nice two finger head settles into a splotchy foam cap.

S_Deep charcoal like smoke scent. Slight sweetness.

T_Sweetness at first followed by a nice smoked flavour. Charcoal is less pronounced than in the nose. A more mild smoked taste overall than expected. Still enough to be please. Slight acidity in the finish. Aftertaste is medium smoke and dry.

M_Light bodied, medium to above average carbonation.

D_A nice rauch but not quite as good as the festbier of theirs.

4.92/5  rDev +21.8%

I first saw this style of beer at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL. As I attempted to pronounce the phlegm inducing, tongue twister of a name I thought to myself, "Smoke beer? Is this going to taste like dear old Grandma Abigail's ashes?" It was nothing like that at all! I slowly poured the rich tawny brew into a pilsener stlye glass (I had never heard of rauchbeir before then so I had no idea what vessel to enjoy it in.) I put my nostril up to the rim and inhaled deeply. Fresh smokey hardwood wafted into my nose. It reminded me of a summer barbeque with weiners on the grill. I took a swig and swished it around my pallet. What a symphony of smoked meat flavoring and faint oak. It was absolutely delectable! I had never experienced anything close to it. Now I live in Gainesville and I am totally craving the Jimmy Dean goodness that is rauchbeir. I have already ordered a case for the liquor store I work at.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Pours deep reddish ruby copper, 1 in tan head with a sticky lace.

S - SMOKEY, there is a hickory, roasted character, I dare say almost like baked beans, this is different.

T - Evenmore smokey, I could imagine roasted malts on a wooden plank to enrich the smokey hickory flavors. Little noticable hops, sweet molasses and bean flavors. Flavors become more pronouced closer to room temp.

M - Med bodied, low carbontation, seems thick for a Marzen, extremely smooth.

D - Very special and different would go great with a BBQ, but would not pick this beer to drink one after the other.

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

A very nice rauchbier, that I recently had the privelege of trying in a party ball (miniature keg). For my PA people, you can get them at SHANGY's in Emmaus for $22.00. Francisweizen and I are enjoying one right now. Strong rich smokey flavor. Very mellow, warm mouthfeel. One of the tastiest marzens I have had. The initial flavor comes smooth and slow, and builds to a full, minutely bitter finish. If you are in the market for a nice Rauchbier, this is probably one of your best options.

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%

Wow. One whiff of this and you're magically transported to a campfire somewhere in the woods. I read up on this beer a little and it sounded weird enough to try. This is my first experience with the style and I've gotta say... I like it!

Not much in the way of a head, even when poured strongly. Leaves only small dots of lace here and there. Color is a clear, but dark brown.

Aroma is very woody, smoky, and almost meat-like, with a malty undercurrent. Just a hint of noticable hops in the background.

Flavor is unlike anything I've experienced. An obvious earthy, woodsmoke flavor, like bacon or jerky, over a malty sweetness and just enough hops to keep it balanced. Aftertaste has a hint of pipe tobacco.

Mouthfeel is smooth with just a tiny bite of gentle carbonation. Medium bodied.

This is a very interesting beer/style. I really enjoyed it. Not an everyday beer, but it's a nice novelty treat. Would pair perfectly with some southern pork BBQ, smoked whitefish, or maybe a smoked Gouda & crackers.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

500ml bottle purchased from the LCBO - their sole representative at the whole rauch style, which is sad.

A beautiful dark pour, with a deep red tinge when held up to the light. The head is off-white and effusive, slowly reducing to an ethereal level of lacing on the surface of the drink (think of those satellite pictures of clouds in the atmosphere). Some streaks of foam stick to the edge of my glass. You can smell this drink from the other side of the room. Reminds me of when we get back from a camping trip and I'm airing out all our gear which has been next to a campfire for several nights. Its certainly all smoke, but it also has a meaty and bready component.

Clouds of smoke in the flavour, which although peculiarly meaty, has a fairly light mouthfeel. There's a prominent graininess (that'll be all the smoked Bamberg malt) and really not much else other than wave after wave of smoke. Decent level of carbonation. Overall, this is a bit of a one-dimensional beer, but what a dimension! I imagine it would be perfect with sausages and by the fire on a cold night. Sounds like I'll be taking this with me next time I go camping!

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours out with big carboantion, very bubbly and a dark amber color with a well retained, foamy tan colored head.

A smokey chocolate malt is obvious right off, heather honey, earthy herbs, only mildly aromatic.

This is a very roastie, smokey malt flavor...and I mean smoked! Balanced with spicey, herbal hops and a smoked turkey on rye bread finish.

medium bodied, very active but also pretty hefty.

Very unique to my palate and highly enjoyable.

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into my Eichhof dimpled mug. Body comes up to the .5L line with a full two fingers of creamy tan head floating up top. The burnt umber liquid is a bit hazy from yeast.

Aroma hits like a ton of bricks. Epic smoked ham explodes from the head, even more so than the Urbock. That's really the only note I can pick up because it's so strong and overriding.

The meatiness is toned down in the flavor, taking on more of a smoky campfire character. Underneath the salty twang, there's a really smooth maltiness that finishes surprisingly clean. There's a little bitterness in the finish too, but I can't figure out if it's hops or a charred remnant of the smoked malt.

Smooth and easy drinkin' despite the extreme flavor. Medium body and perfect carbonation.

4.14/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a lot lighter than expected, chestnut brown with some darker red highlights.

Smell is a campfire with some dark figs smoldering, I am instantly drawn to this beer.

Taste is the same as the smell, but with a little hop, goes from the middle back of my tongue and then slides to the sides for the finish. Some grain flavors can be detected as well.

Mouthfeel is nice, nothing special, a little thin, and not much carbonation.

Drinkability is decent for me, I could have one more but then I would be done with it.

3.79/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance:
pours a root beer brown color with a hint of amber. vigorous pour doesn't produce much more than a thin film of head. clear.

Smell:
hint of grainy sweetness, almost undetectable dark fruit character. smoky wood chips.

Taste:
Smoky! smoked sausages! Interesting. The more i consume, the less apparent the smoke becomes, it is subtle enough that i am allowed to acclimate. Mild hop bitterness apparent.

Mouthfeel:
Light-medium body. clean and smooth.

Drinkability:
Easily consumed. the smoke could be overwhelming, but i think that this offering does a good job of poking its head out at first and moving to the background as i continue. very interesting. I enjoy this.

Cheers

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

A- Dark ruby brown with a one and a half finger head.

S- The same aroma one gets from smoked fish or ham with some underlying malt sweetness.

T- Altough the smoke flavor stays in the forefront it is not overpowering as I would have suspected. Otherwise a pretty soild malt / hop balance.

M- A little on the thin side otherwise good.

D- I would look to pair this with food rather than to drink solo.

Even though not everybody is going to like this bier, the style is worth a try.

4.11/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Poured from the 1pt., 9oz bottle into an imperial pint. The beer is a clear dark brown with a one finger, white head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: Smoky character is prevalent, with caramel and chocolate malts backing the primary aroma. I was reminded of beef jerky, with a hint of smoked salmon, complemented with a subtle balancing roasted malt. Very intriguing and unique aroma.

Taste: Malty introduction (roasted, subtle chocolate), leading to a nicely balanced midpalate, then finishing with more of the smoky characteristics found in the nose. These included smoked salmon, smoked sausage, and a slight charcoal note. Crazy taste, but amazingly pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation on the introduction, with an incredibly and surprisingly smooth finish that brings everything in this crazy beer together in a somewhat coherent manner.

Drinkability: The taste is such that it's hard to imagine drinking several in one sitting. It's great to test one's palate to, but the smoked character of this beer makes it difficult to enjoy without some sort of food, or alone multiple times. Very very good overall in one sitting, however...

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Beautiful deep copper hue under a beige two finger head.

Smell: The smoke is the dominant scent for sure, but there was also an inviting sweet maltiness hidden in there.

Taste: The smoke hits up front, but it really does open up to reveal a delicious, almost chewy caramel malt. The floral bouquet finishes quite nicely.

Mouthfeel: It's really an odd sensation, having a sweet malty mouthfeel while tasting smoke! I liked it, though.

Drinkability: This is my first foray into the realm of the Rauchbier. It was very interesting, and not totally uninviting. I'm glad I chose the malty Marzen version. It's an acquired taste, and I think that (given time) I can get to where I really appreciate it. I paired this with some grilled/smoked Andouille sausage, which was a PERFECT compliment to the Rauchbier.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

from City Beer Store in S.F. Poured a rich dark brown in a weizen glass with a nice light tan head. Good lacing too. Smell was very reminiscent of salted and peppered beef jerky and smoked bbq, and although it was very obvious, it wasn't as extremely overpowering or offensive as I feared. I found it extremely enticing and the taste was not a letdown either. The base of the beer itself was smooth, perfectly malty and sweet with a touch of lingering smokiness and light bitterness in the finish. It was very full flavored, not overdone and perfectly crisp from the carbonation, and I was shocked at how drinkable this stuff was. I expected this to be a letdown b/c I was quite excited to try it, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Very good, and I can't wait to try the other 2 varieties.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

Found this gem at The Wine Seller in Williamsburg. Poured into a Lowenbrau mug.

A - Deep chestnut/ruby coloration which glows brightly in the light. Somewhat transparent. Made a two tip head which displayed great retention, the lacing was spotty and at points did a spiderweb effect.

S - Zomg. Smoked sausage, bacon, fire, smoke, absolutely yummily amazing.

T - Definite Oktoberfest-style malt base and flavor profile initially, even a substantially watery body, then very subtly at first the smokiness creeps in. After a mere moment the flavors flood the palate and overtake the body. Delicious.

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation level, smokey (duh) aftertaste.

D - I truly love this beer. I can imagine how perfect it would be with pulled pork bbq and smoked ribs, unfortunately I currently only have baked potato pringles. I need more, and you need to try it. Just do it.

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

I was reticent to pick this up for a few weeks, pondering it at the great local Piccadilly and walking past more than once. But I gathered up the nerve last week and grabbed a bottle, setting it in the fridge for a week-long chill. My curiosity got the best of me tonight and, as I read Engels's classic The Condition of the Working Class in England, figured that a unique German beer would best accompany a unique German thinker.

And this is certainly a unique beer. I've never had a smoke beer before, yet I can safely say that this is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, no question. It's also a good opportunity to tout one of the Beer Advocate site's best features, which is the plethora of sterling reviews about beer that one can find here. While I often read the reviews of Buckeye Nation, Nero Fiddled, Felonious Monk and others before I try beers for the first time, this was one of many times when one of them, in this case Buckeye Nation, positive nailed a beer in a review. He said that this beer was reminiscent of smoked meat, and that couldn't be more true. It's akin to liquid jerky, and I mean that in a good way. This speaks to a genuine benefit of writing here, and that is the sheer depth of knowledge that people transmit about beer on this website. Not for nothing, it's at times mind-boggling.

The presentation is decent, with a light cap of tan head quickly fading over a dark brown body with a rich ruby perimeter. The smell is incredibly smoky, nothing but. For some, I can imagine that this is a turn-off. Thankfully, having been prepared by reading the reviews of others mentioned above, I was not only braced but thrilled to get the same whiff I would get from smoked jerky--not the sweet-spicy smell of venison, but rather the deep, smoky smell of a good, dense, home-smoked beef stick. That's the truth.

I worried that the taste would require choking it down, but that's not so. It's actually fairly smooth and pleasant, a nice sipping beer. I genuinely have no idea whether or not smoke beer is regularly flat, but this is. That's not all bad, but I can't help but think that more carbonation, if that's possible with this style, would bring other flavors to the fore. Perhaps that's not to be, that the smoke would override all else. I'm just not so keen on flat beer.

The lack of complexity, and the overriding campfire-smoker taste, somewhat hinder the drinkability. Yet this isn't bad by any means. It's worth a try, and went well with a good slice of pepperoni pizza (I wish I had some anchovies on it, which probably would have been great with this Rauchbier.). I don't know how often I'll grab this or any other smoke beer but, if someone offers me a cold Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, I won't say no. Fear not.

1.99/5  rDev -50.7%

I like bacon, and I like beer. But I don't like bacon in my beer.

The first thing I noticed while pouring this brown beer was the overwhelming smoked smell. This was my first smoked beer, and I was taken by surprise. Hickory bacon and barbecue sauce dominate the nose.

The taste was extremely smoky. Again, bacon, and lots of it, cooked over a campfire. Am I drinking beer or having a drunk cowboy's breakfast? I just needed to slap on some spurs and start telling folk stories around the campfire.

I couldn't finish this beer. I'll be sure to keep away from beers labeled "smoked" in the near future. Maybe when I'm older I'll revisit them. And maybe I'll look for ones in smaller bottles.

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice dark redwood colour, considerable head upon pouring. Dissipates quickly to a thin film which does stick around, credit to it. Steady carbonation. Frankly, a damn fine-looking beer.

Smells like dark-wood smoke. It's intense but not repulsive. Like heavily smoked bacon but without the bacon smell. Mostly sour and pungent and it feels like I'm getting soot up my nostrils. I don't dislike it though.

Taste is not too bad but funny thing is the nose strangles the flavour. I can tell I'm drinking a particularly flavoured lager but then the smoke kicks into my nose and I lose the flavour. Maybe that's the point. I'm getting hints of that smokey bacon flavour on the front palate and a bit of toastiness. The back palate (which is disappointingly short) is where the hops lie, and it would be quite underwhelming in flavour if not for the fact that the back palate is where the aroma comes blundering in. Overall an interesting brew. I certainly couldn't drink masses of it but it's an experience, and not a bad one.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

500ml Stubby
$3.69
Binny's Orland

When I'm in the mood for a Rauchbier I usually reach for Schlenkerla's Marzen. Pours a beautiful chestnut brown with ribbons of mahogany when backlit. Tiny streams of carbonation rise to the surface as there's tiny sediment suspended throughout. A one finger beige head formed on the pour and rather quickly fell to a solid cap. No lacing was left after the head fell but each sip did leave some decent lacing.

The aroma is that of good hardwood smoked bacon. There's a strong presence of smoke once your nose is stuck in the glass but there is a solid caramel and fresh grain base that reminds you you're smelling beer and not breakfast.

While the smokiness is certainly there and in your face it's tastefully done without being overwhelming. The initial flavor of smoked bacon is upfront but quickly levels out to include a caramel sweetness mid-palate and a clean graininess toward the finish. It's hard to believe but this beer, even with all the smoke, is fragile. All the flavors come together without one outdoing the other.

I do really enjoy the mouthfeel of this beer. Seems to have a moderate body but the carbonation creates an incredibly smooth creamy finish. This beer just glides through my mouth effortlessly.

This is a beer I find myself in the mood for every now and then but it's best enjoyed with certain types of food. Smoked salmon is a great choice. That said one in a sitting is enough for me but that one bottle goes down pretty easy.

Like I said earlier, if I'm in the mood for something a little off the beaten path this is what I pick up. This is one world class rauchbier.

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 16 oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

Appearance- Beer pours a clear red with a minor head that vanishes quickly leaving a wisp of foam across the head that forms cloudlike perceived shapes when stared at for too long.

Smell- Smoke and malts but no real traces that this is a marzen. Hickory smoked wood and hints of ham. Pork goodness permeates this beer and you have to feel for the vegetarians.

Taste- Liquid smoke right here folks. Rich smokey malts and bacon goodness. This is over the top with smoke and everything else comes second. Light malts linger and it actually does pair well with bacon quite well.

Mouthfeel- Lighter than would be expected with a beer of this level of smoke. Leaves a comforting feel on the palate. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability- Astoundingly, I could drink lots of this at any barbecue cookoff or any other meat eating activity. But to not be food racist, I'm sure this would pair well with smoked mushrooms as well.

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%

There was a strong but smooth smoke aroma immediately upon opening the bottle. It has a very pretty reddish brown color, and a thin off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells like bacon on a campfire. Very smooth mouthfeel. The smoky flavor gives way to a buttery, nutty flavor that hangs in your mouth long after finishing the beer. This is the most drinkable rauchbeer I've had, and definitely one of my favorites.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Attractive reddish brown color. Only a film of off-white head. Finely textured tendrils of lace.

Smells mainly of smoke, like smoked salmon and bacon, with toasty grain, honey, earth, fruit leather, and spicy grassy hops. Rich and appetizing.

Tastes of smooth smoked malt, moderately sweet, with some toast and honey. Very well balanced with fresh hop flavor - grassy, spicy, and earthy - and moderate bitterness. Dries out entirely for a fairly long smoky finish.

Lightly carbonated. The tiny size of the bubbles makes for a nice smooth texture. Very drinkable, the smoke doesn't interfere at all.

Plenty of smoke, but perfectly integrated. Very tasty and balanced beer, with no shortage of character.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a 22oz into a Chimay Chalice (2 pours). Poured a dark brown with ruby highlights and a nice 1 inch head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing. Aroma is smoked meats, like oak smoked bacon, slight saltiness. I thought the taste was very 1 dimensional. I get the salty, smokiness but not much more. The smoke is a bit overpowering. It doesn’t highlight the beer, it overwhelms it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. I think this is a don’t miss if you’re a big smoked beer person.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla