Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours reddish copper in a Don de Dieu glass. Nice foamy head, it diminishes pretty fast though, but holds the glass fairly well. Surprising aroma, definitely a new class for me, meaty with bacon and ham, salty sausages. The flavors developments are quite unrivaled. Let me explain.. first that intense smokiness (long dry smoky/bitter finish)is kind of a guardian over the journey that tasting this beer is. It's also one of the not so typical beers that holds the 4 basic flavors. Mouth entrance is very malty and moderatly sweet with the body being medium to full. Then, those smoked malts develop into a salty (bacon is salty after all) taste. Slightly tart at the same time. The finish is intense and bitter, woody, earthy, peaty. I wouldn't drink this everyday, but I can see this doing wonders paired with multiple meals (pancakes, poultry, pepper beef etc.)

02-21-2004 23:03:19 | More by Rastacouere
hollicetales

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

i really enjoyed the aecht schlenkerla rauchbier urboch so i decided to try out the marzen, it poured a nice medium brown with a medium tan foamy head...it wasn't as pungent as the urboch but the camp fire smell was definietly there as was the wonderful tasted of smokey meat...we paired this with a mild white cheddar on a cold night and it was excellent...i could drink it straight...but sip it slowly it's a savoring beer not a chugging beer. Nice balance of flavors just enough hoppinees and malt to balance the smokiness and definitely alot milder than the marzen. Definitely reommend pairing it with a mild to sharp cheddar or perhaps some gouda.

02-09-2004 17:41:53 | More by hollicetales
guinness33

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

pours a clear, pepsi-looking brown amber colour with a moderate head that fades rather quickly and is mildly sticky. smells terrific: smoked and burnt ham/pulled pork/bacon type smell. some earth here as well. a bit of malt detected in the back. awesome. taste is just like the smell, but more subdued. smokiness up front and at the dry finish, but the middle of this medium bodied brew is more of a sweet malt flavour. the taste is truly exceptional. the smoke is not overpowering yet still quite assertive, thus allowing this brew to reamin smooth and quite drinkable. i don;t know if i could enjoy this all night as a session brew, but a couple at the beginning or end of the night would be absolute heaven.

02-09-2004 04:06:40 | More by guinness33
Ardon

1.3/5  rDev -67.8%

Well, what can I say. This is definantly the most unique beer I have ever tried. However in this case it is not a good thing. This beer would make a wonderful cooking beer but for drinking it is possibly one of the worst I have ever tasted. The smell and flavour are just not something I want to drink. Very hickory smoked ham. Used to flavour a chili it would be wonderful, but like I said, as a drink the nastiest thing in the world. Literally like drinking smoked ham.

02-01-2004 04:02:49 | More by Ardon
rajendra82

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear dark chestnut brown with a tan foamy head. Smell is unremarkable with just a hint of noble hops. Taste is quite different than anything else out there. Clearly smoky with an assault of woodsy flavors on the palette that is reminiscent of food char grilled to the point of burning on a wood fired stove. Hint of citrusy sourness rounds out the taste a bit. Medium body and tangy mouthfeel. Lingering smoky aftertaste. Has to be enjoyed slowly like a fine cigar.

01-31-2004 05:01:53 | More by rajendra82
TerryW

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow! This one was a lot of fun. Very distinctive and quite enjoyable. Works best if you're having a meal, because the aroma can't help but get the tastebuds working.

Pours up dark with hints of red, just a short head that quickly settles to a film and gives up only spotty lace.

The smoke from this beer is quite pleasant and will remind you of delicious smoked meats, a barbecue, an evening campfire – quite a treat. The taste is meaty, malty and delightfully smoky.

This is a working beer – make sure you've got a ham sandwich, a decent burger or some sausage to go with it. Not for quaffing I would think, just a one off for a treat or special occasion.

01-17-2004 22:54:23 | More by TerryW
Andreji

Colombia

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow! definetly one of the best beers I've tried lately, a pleasant surprise for being such a special brew.

Tried it in Kifisias, Greece, at Zythos (Beer Society), and, due to the candlelight and gross greek smoking habits, I refrain to describe much of the appearance or the smell-granting each a 3.5 in relative fairness with the rest of the review.

Dark toned, tending to a reddish, with no head or only a small trace of it. The smell, overwhelmed by the cigar seemed sort-of smokey (is it the cigar? is it the rauch?).

The taste. mmm. unlike the rauchbier weizen, which I could not find a word to describe it other than perhaps a beer with a piece of meat stuck into it, this one I can only describe as a beer with a piece of ham stuck into it. With some maltyness and perhaps a hint of bitterness at the end, no carbonation at all, the biggest trait of this beer is, actually, its meaty (hammy in this case) sort of taste, very strongly perceivable and pleasant to the palate. Definetly could drink packs of these. Hope I'll find them here in paris.

01-04-2004 11:57:56 | More by Andreji
rkhaze

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a brilliant copper with red hues. Thick, foamy beige head that hung around a while. Left some ok lace. Wood smoked meats and malt in the aroma.
Wood smoked spiced meat flavor with some sweet malt. A subtler sweet smokiness and a bit of coffee grounds in the finish. Morning campfire in a glass. Nicely done, without the charred bitterness that some smoked beers have.
Light and thin mouthfeel with a fair amount of carbonation. As with most smoked beers, I think one or two is plenty to my taste.

12-28-2003 00:31:45 | More by rkhaze
UncleJimbo

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Sampled on tap at the brewery from a wooden cask.

This beer poured a clear, dark, coffee brown color with creamy, tan foam that persisted and clung to the insides of the glass. The smell was nicely smokey and malty. The taste was smokey and malty with hints of coffee and cocoa. Some hops came out in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with medium body and low carbonation feel. It was relatively dry and clean with a lingering light smokey flavor. This was quite good, and the smoke was not overpowering. Very nice for breakfast.

12-11-2003 03:36:55 | More by UncleJimbo
jlervine

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a deep reddish brown with an off-white head. Smell reminded me of hickory. Very woody, absolutely lovely. Close your eyes, and you expect a sausage in the glass when you open them. The taste starts off very malty, but before the sweetness crescendos, the smoke kicks in and dries out your mouth. Has a very dry finish, not quite astringent, just very very dry. This is a definite barbecue beer. Give me a smoker, a couple pounds of red meat, and a keg of this stuff!

11-19-2003 00:50:38 | More by jlervine
byrd

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

I had this along with a mild smoked sausage for dinner. What a great pairing! Although I made sure to write my review before the dinner.

Pours out of the bottle with quit a bit of sweet malt aroma. Once in the glass, the distinctive smokiness is very apparent and backed by malt undertones. Clear dark brown in color with a nice full, light tan head the recedes to a long lasting lace. The mouthfeel is medium-full and is incredibly smooth. After reading about Rauchbiers, I thought that the smokiness would be too overwhelming for me, but I was wrong. The smoke flavors meld wonderfully with the malt sweetness of this brew making it go down so much more easily then I would have imagined. And to balance out the smoke and malt flavors, there’s a nice mild hop bitterness in the finish to close things out. The hops linger along with a lot of the smokiness in the aftertaste.

What a pleasant surprise this brew was. Very drinkable brew. Probably not a session beer, but a great change of pace that I’ll definitely look for again in the future. With this review, I've now made it half way through the BA list of official beer styles.

11-10-2003 19:03:45 | More by byrd
BeerManDan

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

It poured a thick creamy very dark brown with no foam and lace. The smell of smoky roasted malts fill the nose, with spices that I couldn't place. The taste was of a thick. creamy and smoky bacon flavor that was very different than any other Rauchbier that I have ever had. Another pleasant surprise for my palate!

11-08-2003 22:10:13 | More by BeerManDan
RoyalT

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance – Dark brown and thin/clear in the body with a nice, working head that laced the glass.

Smell – When I lived in Germany I knew a pig farmer, and one day we slow roasted a pig on a spicket for nine hours for a family reunion. That’s about the only time I’ve ever smelled anything as smoky and meaty as this ale.

This stuff embedded itself in my walls. Don’t dip your nose into it; smell it from a distance. It smells like fried bacon.

Taste – Light malts and with a little bit of sweetness, almost like a good Oktoberfest ale, with smoke for days. Think beef jerky or fried bacon.

Mouthfeel - This one’s a lightweight, as expected, and very flat.

Drinkability – I doubt most people could finish this bottle, but if you’re a fan of the smoke (rauch) flavor, this is a must try.

11-08-2003 02:55:05 | More by RoyalT
grynder33

Wisconsin

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

What you hear is what you get.Nice big head, aroma reminds me of smoked summer sausage, nice smooth mouthfeel initialy an extreme smoked taste, but it does seem to recede. The only place I would think this beer apropriate would be if I were on on a camping trip, and the boys were resolved to have beer early in the morning, and they were frying a breakfast of eggs and whatever.

11-05-2003 21:34:17 | More by grynder33
ManekiNeko

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

1 pt. 9 oz bottle served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear dark crimson topped by a frothy offwhite head. Not very long lasting, either, it recedes to a film in about a minute, then goes away completely about 10 minutes later. Little blobs of lacing are left on the glass, but they are short lived as well.

Smell: Intense smoked meat aroma, ham I'd say. Mmm.. ham. There are some caramelized sugar smells in the background.

Taste: Carbonated jerky!!! Nuff said.

Ok, actually there is a great marzen lurking beneath the surface of this beer. Definitely a darker style then a plain marzen. Toasted malts are in greater proportion than the caramelized.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with surprisingly little aftertaste.

Drinkability: Get some jerky and have a festival of smoked flavors!! I couldn't see myself drinking too many bottles in one sitting, but I can definitely see me having this again and again. Betcha this would make a kick ass marinade.

11-03-2003 02:26:31 | More by ManekiNeko
Globetrotter

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

I should note that I am not a big fan of Rauchbier. As a rather militant non-smoker, the thought of smokey beer is not exactly appealling. When I saw this in a Moscow grocery store, however, the Märzen appeal overcame the smoke turn-off. Glad I tried it.

Utterly gorgeous appearance, from the deep clear bronze hue to the big, thick, contoured tan head that stuck around for a long time and left magnificent lace. The nose smelled a bit like smoked salty fish - not an unpleasant thing, but a bit odd for a beer. The mouth was heavy and mildly carbonated, with a definite charcoal undercurrent. The taste is smokey, but reasonably mild. It has little in common with other Märzens, but is pretty darn enjoyable, as the malt contends with the smoke leaving a pleasant aftertaste generated from the mixture. No hops taste. A good, unique experience, this is not a brew I'd like to have every night.

10-07-2003 19:35:51 | More by Globetrotter
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Deep ruby tone with a very appeasing tan foaming fluffy head, exquisite lacing surrounding the pint. Aroma: Well, I know this sounds weird but this beer smells of a tender smoked bacon with semi sweet roasted tones barely creeping through, oh so unique just straight up different and the orginator of smoked bier. Taste: It's so strange drinking a mildly sweet liquid that has a big kick of smoked meat in the flavor doesn't seem like it should be drinkable or even blend together but it does. Mouthfeel: Medium body decent carbonation not a bad brew at all, definitely a new definition of smoked bier. Drinkability: Suprisingly goes down pretty well I think it's damn good such a complex flavor picking out smoked flavors still brewed in the same tradition this is pretty amazing stuff be ready for something new if you try it.

10-03-2003 22:44:47 | More by WVbeergeek
canadianbarman

Alberta (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev -43.1%

--Regular 1 pint brown bottle, no freshness date to be found.
--Poured a dark ruby like in color. Started out with a nice head that quickly dissipated to almost nothing.
--Smelled a smell I have never had before. Obviously a smoky smell that was comparable to smoked salmon.

This was my first foray into a rauchbier and, as one of the brothers stated, either you like it or you don't. Unfortunataly I am not quite ready for this taste yet. It tasted like it smelled and was almost overpowering to me. Maybe I am naive but I have tried smoked beers and that is the taste that I expected. This was just too much for me as the smell and taste still lingered long after I had finished the beer. Later on, as my skills progress, I would like to try another one.
Thx

10-03-2003 16:37:32 | More by canadianbarman
nixhecks

Rhode Island

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

I had the store order this special as I have been aching to try a real rauchbier. Poured a dark soda brown color with a very large head with medium retention. The aroma was unlike any brew I have tried before this - so strong and pungent I can smell it while it sits on the desk in front of me. Aroma consisted of a chalky mesquite smoke, reminded me of smoked salmon. Taste was really something else. The smoke flavors were immense, the same smoked fish, with a sweetness like smoked sausage. Also a slight hoppiness, and roasted coffee. I am glad to have tried this, I would have to say this was one of my favorite beers so far to sit down and review.

09-26-2003 21:42:43 | More by nixhecks
chaduvel

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

Deep dark brownish red with a creamy tan head. Smell is overwhelmingly smoky. Woodsy campfire aromas, smoked meats, fish and cheese, everything smoky and wonderful. Seems as though my glass should be smoldering. Taste is smoky as well. A sweet malt Marzen flavor underlies the smoked pecan or apple wood. Touch of smoked hops, but mostly malt complexities. Smooth full smoky mouthfeel. Halfway through the glass I had some smoked cheese and sausage, and this beer went with them perfectly. Eating some smoked foods actually brought out more of the sweet flavors in the beer. Goes down very easy. I'd go back to this beer again and again. An amazing style.

09-26-2003 14:34:23 | More by chaduvel
bmacaskill

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

OK. I've had smoked sausage. I've had beer.

Now I can have both in a single swallow. This beer's smoky aroma has to be experienced to be believed. While I know it has been around for a while ;-), this has been my first smoked-malt beer, and it's about time!

The quaff was smooth, dry... and then very smoky. If you've never had a smoked-malt beer, you have to try this one. Very long finish that leaves you hungering for a sausage. And I mean that very positively!

09-13-2003 22:54:31 | More by bmacaskill
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A very dark beer for a Marzen, a dark amber in color. This one is quite dry tasting, with a very pronounced smokiness to it. The dryness seems to accentuate and focus your tastebuds upon the smoke flavor. This beer has quite a good amount of Body, a certain fullness that comes through even though it is quite dry tasting. There is not much in the way of hop flavor, which is good, as it allows the subdued malt and, of course, the smoke to come through.

09-04-2003 16:09:19 | More by Gueuzedude
steelreign

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I agree with LongBeachBum's review below... this is a wonderful example of a Rauchbier, and if you love smoky tastes and creamy mouthfeel, this one will please you. If you don't appreciate a little experimentation in your beers, stay away.

All in all, I thought the nice hickory aroma was very appetizing, and it followed that the taste may be predominantly smoky. But, after a few sips, I could definitely make out the roasted malts as well as a bit of hop character. A very well balanced brew that is great for a few pints, but after that, you will probably want to move on to something else. That's not a knock, but rather, this is a specialty beer which really isn't intended for sessioning. :)

09-03-2003 13:54:55 | More by steelreign
ElGuapo

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A deep lightish brown colored brew with a large covering of off-white foam that will sit around for quite a while leaving you with a glass covered in lace. Before even putting my nose to the glass, deep smoky aromas hit my nose like a fire on a winter's night. Yes it is late august, but what the hell. Hidden behind the deep wall of smoke, there are some sweet malts.

Oooh! This one is deliciously smoky. I have always been a bit hesitant with rauchbiers, but I really enjoy them, so maybe I will drop that fear. I will admit that it may be an acquired taste, but that smoke is excellent. It is not overpowering, but it is definitely in full effect. There is a pretty good balance with some sweet malts and grains in there. The carbonation is light, but enough to be crisp. The body is medium to full. It is smooth and very drinkable. I don't know if I would sit down to a bunch of pints, but a couple would be just fine.

08-25-2003 23:02:38 | More by ElGuapo
clvand0

Kentucky

1.35/5  rDev -66.6%

This beer pours a brown color with minimal head and lacing. The aroma is the weirdest that I've noticed - smells like honey hickory smoke barbecue sauce - wonderful aroma. The taste wasn't very good though. It tasted just like it smelled, but for some reason the taste wasn't good at all. Can't say much more, but the taste was terrible.

08-15-2003 18:18:07 | More by clvand0