Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros

I think I've found a new favorite! This smells like a good ol' southern bbq! Very porky/beefy aroma and a very smooth taste. Super dark, super rich and a wonderful treat. I can't even describe it, but I defintely spent about 10 minutes with my nose buried in the glass just enjoying the smell. This beer is a true masterpiece!

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

A - A perfectly clear deep ruby and garnet hued body resides beneath a thick and luscious two finger head of tan cream. Tons of creamy lace is left on the glass, and a quick swirl brings up a dense and solid looking finger of whipped cream head. I could loose myself looking into the deep dark depths of this dark crimson, ruby, and caramel colored brew!

S - Rich leather and spicy summer sausage. Salami, beef jerky, and pepperoni pizza. Tanned leather, like a country and western boot shop. Kibbles and Bits dog food and beefy dog treats. Outrageously beefy and spicy! I'm a huge beef jerky and sausage lover, and this smells outstanding.

T - What works so well in the nose doesn't really follow through in the flavors. It is much more mild and less sausage-y than the Urbock, but it still has some really smoky beef jerky flavors. Reminds me of smoky BBQ and that artificial "liquid smoke" that my mom used to keep in the refrigerator. Some really nice hops come out in the finish too, and add a nice tangy flavor to the smoked sausage. Also tastes a lot like a smoky beefy dog treat, and yes I've actually eaten a smoky beefy dog treat....they are really pretty good.

M - Has the feel and consistency of a heavier lager like a bock, and the finish is really smoky and dry. That dryness adds to the beef jerky vibe, and the spicy and smoky aftertaste lasts for days!

D - Could anything possibly be better with a sausage and cheese plate? I love rauchbiers...in fact, it's one of my favorite styles and this is a prime example of how drinkable a rauchy can be. Although I like the more powerful and assertive Urbock, this one is slightly more drinkable although much less complex. I need to do a side by side tasting of all the Aecht-Schlenkerla rauchbiers with a big ass give box of all of those cheeses and sausages from Swiss Colony. That would be heaven.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%

[first a brief story about why i had to try this one]

I bumped into a beer buddy on the 39 bus one night after work and he was pleased to show me that this was his choice of brews for the evening, and many evenings prior.. He cradled the bottle and spoke passionately about how thoroughly enjoyable it is. So here we go:

It turns out to be much darker than I expected, an almost opaque walnut color. It started with a full head but has thinned out alot. Carbonation can still be seen rising up to the surface. The smoke is noticeable before going up to the glass. It is a pleasant smell though, deep and rich reminding me of those Islay whiskies such as Lagavulin and Laphroaig and all those wonderfully peaty drams.

(Really, I can't get over how good it smells. Not every beer has an aroma that you can just sit there and enjoy.)

First taste: Overwhelmingly rich flavor takes over the palate. This beer is huge on taste.. Besides being smokey there is a bitterness like walnuts which ends with a big grain flavor. In a way I wish there was more to say about this beer but the simplicity and notable balance in it's character speak for itself.

3.74/5  rDev -7.4%

A two finger soapy head with some minor lacing is present after pour, above the crystal marone body. Not greatly appetising, but far from upsetting.

Yeasty smoked ham is most evident in the aroma, but I can't help but smell anticeptic through it all, at the start of every sniff. Unfortunately, this ruins this aspect of the brew for me. It reminds me of having cuts on my knees treated with Detol and cotton-buds as a boy.

The taste greatly resembles beef jerky, with a fantastic peppery sausage flavour up front and the smoked flavour quickly following. Upon further investigation, I drift off and imagine myself sitting at an outback barbeque with a selection of meats dripping in caramelised sauces, the rich smell and flavour of campfire smoke and a fine full-body ale in hand. While that smokey taste is quite dominant, it leaves a world of wonder for your tastebuds sitting just behind it. Delicious, absolutely delicious. You can't help but appreciate and marvel at the brewing accomplishment, even if it's not your type of beer.

Carbonation is low, and results in a creamier than expected mouthfeel based on the appearance, even if slightly thinner than my preference - it's actually rather divine due to its almost perfect compliment to this Rauchbier brew's taste characteristics.

All in all I imagined that the smokey flavour may be a bit much, and after just a few initial sips you too might label it a taster and nothing more. However after finishing a bottle, I'm assured by my now adjusted tastebuds that I could quite easily have a few more. It's definately one to try, and once you've warmed to it, quite possibly one you could drink a lot more of.

Highly recommended - a true tasting experience with brew craftsmanship to be awed.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a reddish chestnut with 3 fingers of brown tinged sand-colored fluffed up head. Superior head retention & good lacing

S: Smoked ham & a little breadyness

T: Smokey bacon, caramel,& peppery notes up front. Touch of molasses & dryness, slight chocolate, a whisper of vanilla notes & more smokeyness as this warms. Finishes dry, sticky, smokey with nice caramel notes

MF: Light/medium bodied, a little sticky, with medium carbonation & great balance

Drinks very easy, great raucshbier, a little more restrained (for better & worse) than the urbock, yummy!

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

This was the first Rauchbier I've sampled, and I must say it was a pleasant new experience. Holding the bottle up to the light, you can see the deep red come through, and the pour is a very pleasing burgundy-brown. The carbonation is also rather low, which compliments the flavor quite well.

Upon opening the bottle, the smoky smell comes right out, and while the first thought is smoked ham or something of the sort, it really is an appealing scent for a beer.

The first taste is incredibly strong, in both a good and bad way. It truly pleases the taste buds and is quite smooth, but the smokiness of the beer somewhat overpowers any other tastes at first. After a few sips, the flavor starts to mellow a little bit and the beer's fullness truly comes through. All in all, it's not necessarily a beer I would search out, and certainly one to drink too many of, but a tasty beer nonetheless.

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

Ahhh the most hated or loved of all styles: Rauchbier.

Aecht Schlenkerla Märzen has a polished, dark mahogany coloured body and chestnut highlights. At angles it reflects shades of burgundy. Very classy looking. It also has a thick outlaying head that, after a good swirl, reveals a tanned, marble looking cream which crowds the sides of the glass but leaves the center bare.

The aroma is an aggression of wood and beechwood smoke; it smells like a sauna filled with bratwurst caught fire. It strongly resemble smoke meats and reminds me of kielbasas in particular, but also salami, bacon, and sausage. Applewood smoked cheddar in a big way too. It is certainly something you need to both acquire a taste for and be in the mood for.

The mouthfeel is a well balanced medley of smoke and malts. It drinks well although is far too acquired of a taste to claim as widely 'agreeable' or 'approachable'. Carbonation is on the lower end. This should pair wonderfully with any meal featuring red or game meat.

The flavour isn't as aggressive with the smoke as the aroma. Make no mistake, it's still very much tasted, but is better integrated with malt on the palate; it is equally as malty as it is smoky. While the grain base is strong, the beer still tastes overwhelmingly like smoked bacon and also, I imagine, a bit like a fire log would.

The beer is recognizably well crafted and skillfully balanced... still, it can be a little overwhelming - off-putting even - on first try. It is perhaps the most acquired taste of all beer styles. It took me a bit of time to appreciate Rauchbiers, but I love them now. And those brewed by Brauerei Schlenkerla are unquestionably the best out there. Whether you end up loving or hate it, trying Rauchbier promises to be a unique experience.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. I got this via a trade, but I can't remember with who!

Dark, mostly opaque with some brownish-red highlights. Big 1 1/2 inch head off a vigorous pour. Medium-low carbonation from what I can tell, and lots of lace with good retention. Aroma is as advertised, smoky. My immediate thought is "meaty", because the only thing I've smelled this smoked is sausage. There's some background earth notes, some subtle floweriness, but it's all obscured by the smoky goodness.

Taste is wildly earthy and untamed, like the outdoors. Campfire smoke, and more smoke, sausage, some sweet malty caramel notes to balance, heathery sweetness as well. Some cocoa bitterness and lots of woody flavour as well with a good crackery malt base. Mouthfeel is awesome with a smooth, soft water feel, mellow, carbonation is just spot on, very mild and subtle. Light sticky driness in the finish, but creamy in the mouth. Well done, and I wish I had access to this beer in MB, it's just a natural pairing for so much good Eastern European food!

3.62/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one at a friend's beer-tasting session. First one on the list. Appearance is brown with a smallish head, a light touch of lacing. Nose is bacon, tons of of smoked malt. Likewise, the taste is smoked malt. Interesting, cause it's highly smoked but also very smooth. Meat flavors come through also. Almost no hops. Medium body. A tasty and unique one.

Deep brown and clear with reddish and burnt orange highlights. Fine beige foam settled quickly to a thick ring and thin layer of bubbles. Sticky, fine lacing. Smells like a combination of a camp fire and smoked meat. Really burnt and smokey. Mild bitterness with plenty of sweet malt, notes of caramel and brown sugar before the smokey flavour kicks in at the finish. Lightish body with moderate carbonation, solid mouthfeel. Although the smoke is strong in the aroma, it's really balanced nicely in the flavour. Rauchbiers really aren't my thing, but this one has a nice balance that I like without sacrificing the smoke. Still, it smells like smoked bacon. Maybe next time I should try it with Sunday brunch?

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%

My first of the style.

Poured into a pint glass. Nice dark copper with a fairly thin but lasting head. Lacings coat fairly well for me.

Just to be different, I get some smoke on the nose. Comes across as cured meat, a nice smoked salami or maybe even some good smoked jerky.

Little bit of malty sweetness in the aroma that comes through in the taste, cutting through the smoke nicely. It makes it much more quenching than I ever would have thought the style would be. A great mouth feel, carbonation is just right and manages to be smooth without being thin. Finish is much more open wood fire than smoked sausage and it combines nicely with a long lasting bitterness.

Drinkability is higher than I would have thought. I can see drinking a few of these on a winter night in Bamberg. Nice beer, nice style.

4.04/5  rDev 0%

This will only be the second smoked beer I have ever tried. So bear with me if my palette seems juvenile.

A: Looks darker in the glass than it did going in. A rich brown body that is fairly translucent. No real head or any lacing.

S: Smoke. I could leave it at that, but I'll keep sniffing to be thorough. Woody, campfire smoke. Maybe my nose will pick up something more is it warms.

T: Once in the mouth, the smoke actually takes a back seat until the aftertaste. A sweet bready character is balanced with an earthy hop backbone. The smoke comes back as soon as I open my mouth after the swallow. Not as obtrusively smokey as it smells, but rather surprisingly clean.

M: A little thin for me. The sparse carbonation can be expected with the lack of head.

D: Obviously a true smoked beer is going to suffer at least a little on drinkability. But, for the style, its unexpectedly smooth.

Appearance is a rich dark brown with a thin head that dissapates quickly. Aroma has a lot of definate smoke, reminds me of smoked ham. Tastes like it smells, woody and smoky. Mouthfeel is more on the lighter side with good body. A good one to try if you like smoked meats or just to experience a good German smoked beer.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Second or third rauchbier I've had and this is the first German, therefore I assume more traditional. It pours an opaque brown near black with some ruby red coloring. Tan head leaves occasional lacing.

Smells of smoke and caramel almost syrupy. Although the smoke smell is at the forefront it remains gentle and enjoyable. Far from overdone or fake like liquid smoke.

Smokey taste surrounds gentle malts and sweet caramel flavors. Its fairly dry and the hops are there, but not a feature of this brew. Hints of grain peak through as well. Creamy mouthfeel, which seems oddly pleasing paired with the smoke taste.

This is a great representationn of a smoke flavor in its proper place that enhances a beer's flavor rather than act as a cheap gimmick. Would pair well with some salmon, but would have difficulty holding up against most BBQ sauces. Definetly worth a try especially if you've never given a rauchbier a go.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

My first smokebeer or rauchbier to taste or review

A- The beer pours a very dark almost opaque brown or dark amber. There was almost no head (possibly because the bottle it came in was cold?)

S- Very smoky and woody smell.

T- Has a dark smoky taste that stays in your mouth for a while after taking a sip. It is not overwhelming though and even though it is smoky it is still somewhat lighter than I would have expected.

M- A lighter body than I would have though and little bits of carbonation as well.

D- If you like smoky flavors this is a good beer. It's not too heavy and the smoke flavors aren't too overwhelming.

[ serving type: bottle ]

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Into a pint glass, pours a dark woody brown bordering on copper, a nice inch thick off-white head shrinking to a thickish film, with some pretty nice lacing. The aroma is meaty, mostly bacon, burnt and smoky oak... its right on for the style but still a bit shocking, in that its almost not like beer. In fact, it reminds me a bit of smoking cigars, for some reason.

The taste I can enjoy more, and regains some beery qualities. Starts off quite smoky and lots of woodiness, turns more malty with toffee and they malty base is most evident. And then it turns right back to the smoke, a bit drawn out finish that ends dry and again reminds me of smoking a fine cigar.

The mouths is around medium, decent carbonation, drying toward the end, pretty decent. What I really needed while drinking this is a bid, meaty heap of a sandwich. That would've been quality. But alone, it still stands tall.

The rauchbier is the style that could easily be horrible if ill-tuned, but this one is right on the money.

1.65/5  rDev -59.2%

I tried this beer’s Urbock cousin last year, and thought it was the worst crap I have ever had. However, I drank it without food on a cool afternoon, so I decided to try again.

This time, I had the Marzen with grilled brats on a hot summer’s eve, complete with spicy mustard and kraut. If I’m ever going to like it, now’s the time, I figured.

Unfortunately, the intense smoky aspect totally dominated the aroma, flavor and finish, to the point where I was alternating bites of Brat with sips of beer, just to get it down.

I have somewhat enjoyed beers with a smoky tint (Great Lakes Engine 20 comes to mind), but the smoke is much too dominant in this Aecht Schlenkerla line for me.

I REALLY tried on this one, but it can best be summed up like this:

Set a pile of old clothes on fire, extinguish it with a bucket of water and drink the runoff.

2.02/5  rDev -50%

This was my first smoked beer to review and I must say that is not a favorite class for me. The poor review is more a reflection of the dislike of the class than the quality of beer itself.

A. A deep amber color with a healthy head. The head dissipates while leaving good lacing.

S. Like liquid smoke. Burnt malt.

T. Wow, hard to handle. like licking a smoked porkchop.

M. Except for the taste not bad.

D. Not great. However, over in Germany is was often said that you must have more than one. Follow the first with a shot of schnapps and then it gets better.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a very deep amber in color with lots of bubbles and a light brown head that sticks around.

The smell, of course, is woody and smoky.

The taste is smoky and malty, with light caramel, coffee and roasted flavors.

The body is light and crisp and just right.

Another excellent rauchbier from the masters of smoked beer. There's not much more to write, other than drink some!

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%

1 pt. 09 oz. bottle purchased for $4.29 on 6-24-07 at Whole Foods Portland. Contrary to what's listed here on the site, my bottle informs me that this beer contains 5.1 abv. Recipe change?

Pours a very dark reddish hue. Looks black until you hold it up to the light. Solid 2 inch off-white head leaves free form lacing while making a hasty exit. The aroma is almost exclusively of smoked meats. Like jerky and smoked salmon. More powerful than I had anticipated. But I like it. The taste is the same. Very smoky, and all I can think about is how much I love smoked salmon. This beer brings back memories that have nothing to do with beer. I like that. There is some definite hop bitterness in the middle, and I don't get any sweetness until the very end. Very interesting brew. Love the smoke, but there is something in the aftertaste that I wish would just leave me alone. Something in there just doesn't belong, imo. There is also a slight abrasiveness on the tongue. But this is still a very good beer, and I'd definitely purchase it again if my smoke-tooth starts harassing me again. Can't help but wonder what a touch of this could do for a nice homemade bbq sauce. Or maybe a marinade. Overall, I'm impressed.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

The Rauchbier (German for smoke beer) is one very unique beer and I have to admit I simply
LOVE IT! It is a completely novel experience and this was in my expectation after reading
a lot of what the folks who tried it had to say. I have to admit it was better than I
expected. I tried this beer at Brauhaus, United Square, Novena; I believe that's the only
place in Singapore where you can find this hard-to-get beer. So on to the tasting; the beer
it had a slightly burned smell (which I expected). The Rauchbier poured out coffee black
with very little head which dissipated in an instant. It has a taste of smoked ham or
smoked sausages along with the beery feel. For the Chinese folks out there, I would say
you may relate this taste to some of those dark chinese teas or some herbal teas; that
burned-like taste. The after taste was also a nice soothing taste of mildly smoked ham or
sausages. The beer is very smooth and extremely drinkable; I love the unique taste and
after taste and before trying it, I expected that I would probably give it a 7 or 8 but
it was really good and deserving a 9. I would love to drink this again; check out more on
smoke beers here: http://www.smokebeer.com/ and also the company's official website:
http://www.schlenkerla.de/; truly one-of-a-kind and a class of it's own.

I tried this a second time on 14 June 07 and felt that it tasted pretty bitter. The smell
and taste is the same except for this bitterness. The difference is I had a pork knuckle
to go with the Rauchbier the last time. Shrug...

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%

I was very happy to get a hold of this beer. Let's see how this goes.

A- The beer pours a dark caramel brown. There is a very small layer of head with some mild lacing.

S- Wow. I'm not really new to the style but this beer has intense aromas. The first thing I get is smokiness. I'm also getting a faint liquor smell and mild florals scents. Smoky is really an understatement here.

T- The beer tastes much like it smells; like smoke. I'd say it's somewhat like mesquite but not quite the same. It was perhaps a bit overcarbonated. I also get a caramel flavor. The beer actually tasted a bit better as it warmed. I may have served it too cold.

M- The beer has a moderate body and feels great in the mouth. After a while, it can be a drain on your taste buds though.

D- This is the ultimate beer to enjoy with barbeque. As with the style, I think it should be enjoyed sparingly and correctly. Highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

1pt .9oz brown bottle

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen was a mahogany in color with an off-white head. The head had decent retention and left some lacing. The aroma was dominated by smoke. The taste was sweet malt with plenty of smoke with some bitterness towards the long, smoky, dry finish. It was medium bodied with fairly mild carbonation. Drinkability was good. It's a nice beer with a good smoke flavor. It's definately worth a try.

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%

Clear ruby mahogany body. Tan tiny to medium bubbled head, decent retention and lace.
Heavy smoke and wood scents, peat and earth notes.
Smokey flavor, lots of peat and earth. Abit of a sour note. Earthy hops and burnt rye aftertaste.
Medium body, somewhat hydrating and abit of coating.
Good drinkability.

-Oelergud

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

What an interesting experience.

A= Poured a nice dark caramel-brown, small head without much foam but yet still somehow mustered to grow a modest foamy creamy head that left some mild lacing.

S= Smoke, at first. A touch of liquor-smell but not the potent kind which melts nostril-hair. Some mild florals scents, and reminiscences of being in an old furniture store with wooden floors and a lingering odor of furniture polish. More smoky wood.

T= At first, it's just pure smoke. My wife says mesquite-smoke and nearly choked on her obligatory test-sip. She said she'd rather go lick out our barbeque grill. Me-- I thought it was great, although a bit too much carbonation at the start, which only seemed to accentuate the smoky taste. After the beer settles for a few minutes, the other nice qualities of caramel and florals begin to appear. Not much hoppiness or bite. After it sat for half an hour or more, it was actually at its best-- very nicely blended, no carbonation in the way of the flavor, and the smokiness gently blended into the overall experience.

M= After it sat for a while, a delightful mouthfeel of mild sweetness but not syrupy, very nice caramel and its own uniqueness.

D= Depending on one's desire to let this go a bit flat for a while and then drink it slightly warmed down, it's super and could even be a nice session-beer if one could afford it.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla