Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

I think this is the first 5 I gave anything on flavor. That is because within it's style category I cannot imagine it improving any more. Also - I had it fresh on tap across the street from the brewery! A warm buffed and oiled woodsy brown with a pillowy off-white head. Aromas of juicy munich malt, campfires, and a hint of sulphur. Flavors of smoked pork, charred wood (but without bitterness) and the finely tooled leather belt they used to jam in my mouth during my childhood fits. This is incredible stuff, and is certainly not for everyone. Bottled bacon is an aquired taste.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pours a clear mahogany ruby with a one inch tan and sandy head that fades after a bit not much active carbonation. Not much lacing but the color save everything.

S: Smell sort of chocolaty but with a smokey bacon and ham scent

T/MF: Woody oak taste that decieves the meaty nose which is a nice change of pace. Not very sweet but not very bitter either, sort of sweeter in the middle while the smoke aspect sort of mellows everything out. The mouthfeel is robust and sturdy and leaves a thickish film across the tongue.

D: Highly drinkable for a rauchbeer and I feel a better than the urbock.

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%

Brown body with amber highlights. Little head to speak of. Aroma is all smoky wood. Virtually no malt - just burning wood. Flavor is also heavy on the smoky notes. some malt comes through, but pretty much all smoke. Mouthfeel is solid. Drinkability is OK, but a little more rich malt sweetness to balance the dry smokiness would be nice.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours deep brown with reddish hues. Nice two finger tan head. A nice aroma off the top of smoked sausages (I never thought the smell of sausage would be good in a beer). First sip is very nice, a hint of sweetness followed by a lemon sharpness. The flavor in the beer mellows as the beer warms. The drinkability is ok, very filling, I don't think I could drink more than one. When all is said and done, an extremely tasty brew.

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%

This one will definately be revisited, interesting I think. I was expecting something on the lines os smokey scotch whisky, which I love (think Lavagulin or Talisker). The smell was promising, just enough smoke with malts. All I get on the pallete is smoke, like a barbecue or smokehouse, or my fireplace. I would probably enjoy aout 4 oz of this at the right time. To me this is definately not a quaffer. I will try it again paired with food.

4.04/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

If you don't like the smoky flavor of scotch or irish whisky, or that of smoked meats or cheeses, save this one for those of us who do.

Pours a orange-tinted amber topped by a just not-quite-white head as you'd expect from a classic marzen. One has to prepare for the smoky aroma with a hint of malt. It was disconcerting until I thought of the smokiness I'd expect from a nice single-malt Islay scotch or a smoked, dry-aged Schwarzwalder ham. With that in mind, the smokiness is a nice rich flavorful smoke that complements the marzen remarkably well. Unlike some other flavored beers, this one does not skimp on the base beer. The melanoidin maltiness comes through the cloud of hardwood campfirey smoke and smooths the edges of the smoke and light hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is typical marzen, and while it would otherwise be a dangerously drinkable beer, the smoke flavor would wear out its welcome.

1.18/5  rDev -70.8%

A friend of mine got this at a local bar (his review is actually somewhere below) and after punishing himself with a few sips, managed to goad me into indulging my own morbid curiosity.

While it has the appearance of any number of great German beers, that is where the praise ends for this beast.

Smell: I'm a smoker and I thought the smoky odor was overwhelming. Simply an assault upon the olfactory glands. It's the kind of smell that makes me desperately reach for a febreeze bottle, hoping that my parents don't notice that all of my clothes smell smokey.

Taste: To quote Barney Gumble "Someone spilled beer in this ashtray!"

Mouthfeel: See above.

Drinkability: I had about two sips before my carcrash fascination wore off and I pushed it back to my friend.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Nice dark amber/ruby colour, slightly cloudy with nice languous fine-bubbled carbonation. Excellent body, and a firm head of light brown foam. Superb lacing. A wonderful looking beer.

Amazing, overpowering smell of woodsmoke - reminds me of camping out in the forest. It almost dominates everything, but there is, hidden in there, a slight spiciness, like rum-soaked raisins or Christmas pudding. Pretty intense.

There is smokiness on the palate too, but it's tempered by a very welcome roasted bitterness. This, with the scent of smoke still spiralling around my sinuses, almost throws me into sensory overload. Mouthfeel is quite light, but much more would have been overkill. Lots of subtle complexity to explore behind the brash, overzealous smoked character. The beer is the more drinkable for this complexity.

A powerful beer, not something for everybody, but something that's worth seeking out. I will definitely be drinking this again.

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a thin bone-white head that gets thinner quick, reducing to a dishsoap-like layer. Lots of thin, lovely lace, and the color is a dark brown that can just barely be seen through.

Authentic smoke in the aroma, reminds of heavily smoked gouda, also has a nice woody element. Nothing over-the-top, but like many of its kind, it's pretty hard to pick out other characteristics/ingredients.

Not the most demanding smoked beer, flavor-wise, and that's good. Light touches of anise, dark fruits and maple barely get through, but as with the aroma, it's tough to discern much beyond the spotlighted smokiness.

The low-ish carbonation gives a smooth feel to the beer, offsetting the relative heaviness of the flavor; but it veers too much toward the watery side for my taste.

Drinkability? It's a rauchbier. An occasional indulgence at best, but an enjoyable one when you do go there.

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

1pint 9oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with a slight head that drops to just a ring.

Smell is smmmoookkyyy! Smells like a campfire.

Taste is more smoke. Very woody. Some sweet malts in there as well. A tad less complex than the Urbock it seems.

Overall, this is an interesting style. I like the smoked flavors and aromas, but I would be hard pressed to drink more than one of these unless maybe I was trying to finish a honeybaked ham.

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

I purchased this bottle in Bamberg after visiting the brewery. Pours a dark ruby red with big clingy head. Smoke aroama is very present but not offensive. After a few swigs one becomes acostemed to the smoke and you can tell this a very good marzen. Nicely balanced malt falvor with a hop bitterness. I had this beer with some smoked salmon and it was fantastic. Very easy drinking and pure joy to consume.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

My first ever smoked beer, and I'm not really sure what to say... I have nothing to compare it to, so this review is a little more different than usual... Appearance-wise, this strongly resembles a stout, although not entirely as dark... A brownish-cocoa color that pours with a nice head... Smell is very smoky, as would be expected from what is called a "smoked beer"... This definitely does taste very smoky, with a distinct smoked flavor dominating the palate... Tastes somewhat liked smoked fish... and is very different from anything I've ever sampled... An interesting brew that certainly deserves recognition for its unique aroma and flavor... This is a good brew, but not sure if I'd want to drink more than the 1.09 fl. oz. that the bottle provided, as the taste can be somewhat overpowering at times... All in all, definitely worth a try and very unique...

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

I remember having had a Schlenkerla Rauchbier (not sure which type) some years ago and thought it was like drinking smoke ....
this one however tastes rather like a light stout (good dryness) with some smoked ham addition .... I am having it with some black forest ham ... just a delicious pairing ...

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a very dark ruby red colour with an inch or so of off white head. Quite a decent lacing is left.
S - Smell is all about the smoked meat - exactly like the deli area of the queen vic market where I bought it from. Polish smoked meats, italian smoked meats, you get the idea.
T - The smokiness is also quite present in the taste as well as a subtle caramel maltiness.
M - Quite full bodied and fairly carbonated.
D - Any more than one in a session would be too much but it's a top notch beer that I would recommend to someone wanting something different to the usual fare.

4.26/5  rDev +5.4%

1pint, .09oz bottle, into SA glass

A: dark brown, thin white foam rings the glass

S: wow! smells like the fire station when i walk in the morning after a fire, smoky, slight medicinal quality, earthy. Fantastic.

T: obviously smoky, oaked wood, sweet malt beneath the layers of smoke

M: medium body, light carbonation and very smooth

D: I love a Rauchbier and this is top notch

4.24/5  rDev +5%

1 pt 09 fl oz bottle, cold, poured into wide-mouthed brandy snifter type glass. This beer is much darker than it's Weizen relative, and the head seems much thinner. This beer is nearly black with just a little hint of amber at the edges. Correspondingly, the aroma is even deeper and more inviting than the Weizen. I've reviewed this beer before on tap at last year's GBBF, so I'll focus this review on the differences between this version and the bottled Weizen Rauchbier of the same make.

This beer is much more bitter. In that regard, it's actually flatter than the otherwise inferior Weizen version (coincidentally, it's also less fizzy, which works in its favor, in my opinion). The bitterness is of burnt malt and some German hops as well, and whereas the Weizen reminded me of tea, this reminds me more of particular smokey coffees (I like Allegro's Sulawesi Toraja, but my coffee-fu is not yet up to the standard of my Beer- or Tea-fu, so you may have to forgive my lack of vocabulary here).

Finally, there's a bit of an acidic of even iodine note in the very back of the flavor. Of the two, I prefer the Marzen, but both are great. No yeast in this bottle either.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

25 oz bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Dark brown-red translucent body with a good half inch of off-white head. Smells malty, peaty, and smokey. Tastes malty at first, but quickly goes to peaty and ashy... For the style, this is spot-on, and I suspect it'd pair greatly with a smoked Gouda or pork sausage. As it is, it's a bit overwhelming by itself for my taste. Nevertheless, nearly flawless and well-crafted for sure. It is what it is...

Wow. I have to keep in mind that I'm reviewing this beer with the strict consideration of its style. I didn't think that a smoked flavor would mix well with beer but I am somewhat surprised here.I make my own jerky in a smoker and this beer also has the same kind of odor as smoked beef and venison. This beer does an excellent job of being what it's supposed to be.The beer has a nice dark reddish/gold appearance with thick off-white/dark yellow head and lots of lacing. It almost tastes just like my jerky as well minus the spicyness. But there's also a sweet kind of malt flavor as well. Maybe a little nutty, too? Not too thick, nor weak. Just right. This seems to be to be a special kind of beer that you only have one of as a treat while watching Family Guy and eating sharp cheddar cheese before you go to bed. I like this beer WAY better than the first time I had it about five or six years ago. Much better than I remember. Very good rauchbier.

4.11/5  rDev +1.7%

Ahhh the bacon beer. Split a bottle with my gf.

A: Dark brown with minimal head. Almost none to speak of.

S: This beer is awesome here. Smoked bacon. You can almost taste the salty porky goodness when you inhale.

T: Good deal of malt in the initial sip then followed by smoke and ham. It sounds bad until you try this one. I keep making my friends try some when I get a bottle and when I say "Who wants a bacon beer?" they get upset until they take a sip.

M: Medium body. Nice amount of carbonation to compliment the style.

D: I never keep more than a bottle in my place because that is all you need. One of these is a nice departure but I could never envision myself having more than one. Definitely different a worth a try though.

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle from Bevmo. This beer pours a very dark bark brown, with a cream colored head that slowly dissipates. The aroma is very strong with smoke and roasted malts. Flavor is very smoke forward, there is a character of smoked kielbasa, bacon, coffee and some earthy notes. Hops are well integrated and barely noticeable(no surprise considering the strong smoke flavor). The mouthfeel is silky but thin, carbonation is light but adequate. Finishes long with more smoke flavor. Overall I really like this beer, it has big bold flavors. Recommended

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A: Bubbly and transparent, with a color that goes from mahogany to rust-brown as you look toward the bottom of the glass. Over a finger of off-white head that displays good retention and lacing.

S: Mostly smells of fresh rolling tobacco, somewhat earthy and leathery, a deep smoky aroma.

T: Smooth and malty up front, which precedes a nice kick of smoke flavor that has an underlying sweetness, similar to a hickory barbeque sauce. Fades into a wet and enjoyable aftertaste, leaving that tinge of smoke on the palate.

M: Medium bodied, leaning more toward the lighter side as a Marzen, with a good level of carbonation and rather smooth to boot.

D: The classic smoke flavor of Schlenkerla is one that most seem to either love or hate. Personally, I enjoy the complexity and flavor it brings forth, transforming an everyday Marzen into a smoky delight.

3.92/5  rDev -3%

A dark brown beer with a thin head.

Smell of smoked sausages with a woody, timberlike smell. This gives me an association with smoked fish, but this has nothing to do with it off course. Also a faint maltiness that is also a bit caramellic.

Taste of smoked sausage and smoked fatty fish. A light bitter combined with a maltbitterness on top of a light maltbase. The smoke sets the character of this beer and although the smoke is not sharp or burned, it lays a small layer of smoke in my mouth. Body is quite thin and carbonation is low. Aftertaste is lingering smoke.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Deep, reddish brown with a beautiful 2-finger head. Retention is great.

S: Smokey like a campfire, slightly fruity like a good Marzen. A really delicious aroma only found in Rauchbier.

T: Campfire, roasted malt, and a little fruit. Alcohol slightly noticeable. Slightly alkaline aftertaste. Aftertaste needs some work, but the main flavors are perfect. After the alkaline taste fades, campfire is still detectable.

M: Slightly chewy medium-bodied beer, but a little bit watery. Non-astringent and well-carbonated. Leaves a crisp feeling in the mouth, but not a clean feeling because of the smoke.

S: This is a very rich beer that should be a one-per-night sort of thing. I can't see myself drinking a lot of this at all. It drinks fairly slowly because of the richness.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

was cooking out today & keeping in the spirit, decided to do a rauch; this beer pours a dark copper color w/ a slight head that dissapates quickly decent lacing; a smoky sweetish aroma, hard to tell whats under the smoke, but it is pleasant; more smoke here w/ some hop flavor, a slightly caramel note; nice med body, clean finish w/ a smokey aftertaste that gently lingers, not overpowering at all, tho it gets a bit much towards the end; this beer went well with my brats & hots and is a very drinkable rauch indeed...

4.74/5  rDev +17.3%

Deep clear ruby in color with garnet hues. Thick and rich tan head that leaves behind lots of sticky lace on the glass. A quick swirl brings up a milkshake looking creamy head. Very appealing to the eye.

Incredible smoke aroma - similar to what you would get with smoked salmon. Very much present but not overpowering in the least.

Dominant smoke flavor throughout, but again - not overpowering. Some malt sweetness is present along with a hop light bitterness that rounds things out. Finishes up with caramel sweetness and linger smoke.

Silky smooth, medium in body and a mildly chewy. Dries up a bit and begs for another sip.

I really like the beer. Incredibly drinkable. Smoke is not overpowering at all. The malt sweetness and light hop twang add complexity. I am a big fan of anything smoky, and this beer is no exception. Had with some BBQ chicken wings and sharp cheddar, which made a very nice pairing.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla