Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Served in a stange, this beer poured a clear mahoghany color with a big fluffy head. A good amount of lacing is left on the glass.

S: The smell is strong, yet smooth. Aromas of smoked salmon and mesquite spice

T: Like the smell, the taste is strong, yet smooth and not overwhelming. Flavors of smoked jerky and cedar fill the mouth and nose with each sip.

M: There is moderate carbonation in this, yet the beer still comes out silky smooth and with a medium body.

D: After hearing a lot of buzz about these beers in the forums, I've finally popped my rauchbier cherry, and couldn't be happier. The character of this beer is incredibly unique. I'm drinking this beer by itself now and loving it, but I can't wait to try this with something off the grill.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a clear mahoganey with ruby edges and a small, light tan head. Smell...hmmm...woah! The nose is smoked bacon on a crisp Canadian morning. I reckon with a side of eggs and some strong coffee we'll be able to hunt moose and fish walleye all day. Amazingly strong smoked meat aromas. Faint caramel malt in there, but the smoke covers all else. Luckily, I like smoked meats. Smoked prosciutto flavors greet the mouth, alongside caramelized carrots and faint malt sweetness. Ham and campfire smoke throughout. More sweetness detectable in the long smoky finish. Medium-bodied with a surprisingly lively feel. Not liquid smoke, just really smoky and delicious beer!

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This one is awesome..."on tap" from a 5 liter mini-keg that was $22 at Shangys in Emmaus. This one kicks ass. Dark amber in colour with a lovely cascading head of foam that lasts and is thick and rich in itself. Aromas of smoked malts, and all things smoke as well as fruity balance and intriguing malt complexity. Sure its smoky but it is most certainly not one dimensional. Taste is smoky, fruity, and malty, with a nice bread character to it as well. Drinkability is AWESOME! Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lovely with very lively carbonation. I love this beer and this brewery very much these days!

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first rauchbier. Poured a funky looking brown. Actually looked like there was powdered cocoa at first. Just slight glimmers of light. Huge bog-like head. Very resilient. Smells like bacon. Hmmmm... bacon...

Flavor is smokey and meaty. Salty too. Almost chewy. More than one of these would make me taste terrible... poor Anna. But still very palatable. All the flavors really linger in the mouth and I can still taste it well after the sip. Very full flavor--kind of takes over the head. I'd be wary of getting to close to the girlfriend after drinking one of these, but still quite tasty.

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

500 ml bottle from Liquor Max in Loveland, $4.04 with their mixed sixer discount.
Number 20 in my quest to have all of the top 25 German beers as rated here on B-A.
Moderate pour into my 23 ounce pilsner glass yields a nice 2-finger off-white head over a clear mahogany body. Head fades to a solid ring with nice lacing. Aroma of smoked malt, deer sausage, some piney hops, toasted sourdough bread, smoked almonds. Fascinating. The taste is a nice Marzen light bitterness, with some floral hop notes. The smokiness is not as pronounced as in the aroma (or as in the Rauchbier Urbock): it's more in the background. Nice toasted malt notes, with some pine hops, then the smoke is in the aftertaste. Very pleasant. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp like a Marzen should be. At 5.4%, this is very drinkable, but I lowered the mark because of the price.

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a burnt brown color with a modest white head.

The aroma is an intense meaty smoky smell.

This is tasty. The smoke is very rich in the flavor. There is an iron flavor that combined with the smoke makes me think of beef jerkey as another reviewer said. The flavors are all in balance. Finishes with little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy.

I am really happy that my friend put this in my cart at the beer store. This is a fantastic brew. I love BBQ and think this would pair fantastically with some good slow smoked BBQ pork ribs. But the beer tastes like a meal in itself though too. I wish they carried this at Dinosaur BBQ. I will definitely seek out more beers of this style.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Amber with a lively, frothy head ..bubbles on side of pint glass like a cola.
Smells mostly of smoky meat...a little bit of wet wool by the fire, too.
Tastes amazing ! Lots of smoke, malt,strong phenol, sweet , with some very light bitter at the finish....just a hint of soap..but not in a bad way(?) Alcohol very well hidden. I like this much better than the Spezial.
Mouthfeel...medium..feels perfect for these flavors and amount of sugar. Carbonation kind of low.
Pretty drinkable.... a stand-alone beer that I would also pair up with food.
Great stuff, this Rauchbier !!

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Dark, ruby red with a big creamy looking head that laces nicely. Big bubbles, little bubbles... it's all there.

S - Smoked. Lots and lots of smokiness. Bacon-like with a medicinal twinge.

T - Again, smoked but not woody or oaked or anything. No doubt heavily influenced by aroma, reminds me of bacon bits. A bit of hops in the back cleans up the smokiness nicely and keeps it from getting annoying. Every sip is like the first.

M - Unbelievably creamy. 6/5

D - As delicious as this is, it's way too heavy to be any kind of session brew. A special occasion, show-off-to-your-friends sort of beer. Also,hard to find around here.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a fun beer! Rich smokey aroma and flavor. Not for the faint at heart. Makes me think of NC BBQ(Eastern). Great food beer, especially with smoked meats. Not something to quench your thirst with after mowing the lawn. Don't be a wuss, go try this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Well, kinda hard to review for the style since I hardly know of anything else like this one--definitely a strange beer! Great with salty pork--I had some brined, seared pork chops and it went great. I can't really imagine drinking this on its own. Definitely a food beer.

Ruby brown coming out of the bottle. Modest white head, but lasted with webbing to spare.

Smell was wierd as hell. I thought green olives off the bat (I swear I even smelled salt), but tried harder and got some smoke. Not any fruit to speak of. Taste basically to match. I suppose I could liken it to cured meats.

Mouthfeel medium weak. It is a lager and is fairly laking in complexity.

Drinkable, but I can't imagine drinking many of these, and only with the right food.

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Dark brown, clear ruby against the light, with a thin, quickly disappearing tan head. Massively peaty aroma, campfirey at first, but develops a bit of malt sweetness midpalate. Overall flavor is smoky, slightly bitter, with a long lasting aftertaste follows the dry finish. A touch of caramel malt sweetness begins to emerge once mouth gets accustomed to smoke flavor – lends a really nice softening to the smoke. Some coffee flavors midpalate too
Surprisingly complex. Really a lovely beer!

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

This is my first "smoked" beer.

Clear dark amber in color. Shortlived tan head, a fair amount of lace lingers along the glass.
My nose only picks up the smoke. This may sound strange, but I'm thinking beef jerky.

I have to admit to being baffled by the flavor of this beer. I think the best way for me to describe the taste is as it being neutral. Other than the smoke nothing else pops out at me.
I do not find the taste to be offensive in any way. It was very easy to drink.

A better understanding of the style would probably give me a greater appreciation for this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

This has to be the most fascinating things i've ever had. Being the first Rauchbier i've had, i'm very very fascinated. This looks good, dark brown with a nice amount of lacing. Smell is like, campfire. With hints of a smoked sausage, totally delicious. Taste is absolutely phenomenal. This would go so so well with a side of summer sausage. carbonation is just right and delivers the aromas just perfectly. Drinkability is pretty good, but for some the aftertaste might be a bit too much. Personally this ranks among the best i've ever tasted. Very unique and quite flavorful. I'm getting some of these next time I have a barbecue.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

500ml Bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured a deep red / brown colour... Creamy tan head pours quite big and leaves nice thin layer.

Aroma - Very strong smokiness (smoked sausage/bacon?). Nice maltiness, spicy, woody, underlying dark fruits, nutty hints...

Taste – Malty, smokey, quite sweet, nice hop bitterness, lemon hints...

Feel - Quite smooth and dry. Medium body. Pretty drinkable..

Overall - An exceptional example of this style. Highly recommended !!

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's better to state this from the beginning: I prefer my cured meats on the side and not in the brew. The rauchbier poured with two fingers of beige foam. It has a nice brown color and smells of cured meats and burned wood. The taste is smokey, of cured meats and some metal with a bitter bite of hops in the end. It has a creamy mouthfeel although it feels a bit weird to drink. I think it is an interesting beer but drinking it will never be a habit of mine.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

I have had this many times before, but each time it is such an intense experience. Poured a nice deep brown with a slight head which dissipated fairly quickly. But of course the aroma and taste are the headliners here. I always associate this with the smoked gouda I love, only more intense. I think the smoked flavor overwhelms the other elements slightly in this one- there's probably a better balance in the urbock version- but I guess that's the point. The carbonation acts well with the high-medium texture to make it an enjoyable treat in moderation. I would probably only drink one, ideally paired with a big tray of sausages and cheese.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

This is my first rauchbier but I will try to be as objective as possible. Poured into a globe typ goblet. A very nice head forms on the top, about one finger worth. Leaves a generous amount of lacing down the glass as well. Very dark amber in color, reminiscent of a brown ale maybe.

Smell is of, well, smoke. Smells like a side of smoked bacon or even some smoke sausage of some sort. Smells very enticing. Smells like a meal in a bottle. An interesting smell, but definitely what I was looking for. No hops or anything else in the aroma. All smoke.

Taste is of smoked meat and pepper. Again, interesting. It would probably take some people a little while to get used to it. I actually like it.

Medium body. Looking for more substance. A little watery at times. One or two of these I think is all I could handle in one sitting. Very strong flavor.

I am enjoying this with a bit of smoked turkey on oregano triscuits; perfect combination I must say. Would definitely go well with smoked bbq sandwich or smoked kilbasa sausage.

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

I will admit it- I have been afraid of this beer. I am of German extraction, and I love German food, German beer, etc., but the concept of a smoked beer has just scared me. Sometimes an idea can be scary- this is one of them. So I finally bit the bullet on this "best of class" beer, and bought two. Then I let one sit in my fridge for a couple of months while I got up the nerve. I am moving soon, and need to reduce bulk, so here goes.

Pours an unexciting brown with all of nothing for a head. Completely unremarkable.

Aroma- holy hell. This is the exact replica of the finest smoked hard salami & German sausage from when I worked in a deli many many years ago. Pepper and other spices mixed with smoked, cured beef. Wow. I can't believe it- I can do nothing but give this a perfect 5.

Flavor is a smoky, meaty wonderfulness like I haven't tasted in years. As a beer, I'm reluctant to give it 5, because it's so un-beer like. On second thought, it does have some beer qualities- wet, cold, and tasty. 5 it is.

Mouthfeel is relatively thin as most marzens are, so I guess it fits the style. And that's probably ok, because if it was as rich as the sausage it's pretending to be, one would be able to drink an ounce or two, and be done.

This is one incredible beer. Reminds me of my German heritage!

4.85/5  rDev +20%

i love anything that is smoked. be that meat, cheese, fish, i love it. and when i was introduced to smoked beer it blew my mind. now that these little rippers have bobbed up around town im more than taking the chance to indulge.

pours a delightful deep red/ brown color. the white head was thin, but lacing was apparent. the beer has light but pleasant carbonation. amazing smoky aroma, resembling great german smallgoods like kaiserfleish and kassler, backed up by sweet malts and caramel tones. the smoke is apparent on the front palate, then rolls into a smooth, yet firm roasted malt flavor, with hints of coffee and everton toffee. finishes with a crisp and tasty hop bitterness that doesnt take over, but holds its own in a tidy fashion. being the hedonistic fool i am sometimes, i could just go and drink this all night long. however, i prefer to save it for every once in awhile to savor the unique characteristics just that little bit more.

one of the worlds finest range of brews, and this is one of the picks of the bunch. in my book, you havent really drank beer until youve had at least one of these beauties, whether you end up liking it or not. in my all time top 10 easy.

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a reddish cola brown with a 2 cm tan head heavily leaned towards the white end. The head reduces to a whitish algae-like covering that slides about on the surface (not a bacterial infection, I'm just getting tired of describing this as lace-like).

Smells of smoking wood, bacon, my sweatshirt after sitting by a campfire, with some buried bales of hay.

The mouthfeel is slightly slick with a low amount of carbonation.

Taste? Smoky. The whole thing is like a mouthful of wood smoke. This smoky taste lingers on into the aftertaste, becoming the aftertaste. This aftertaste lingers on in your mouth, causing your wife to make comments about 'eating bacon this late at night.' Part way through, the smokiness seems to get filtered out somewhat by my brain, allowing me to discern a touch of honey sweetness.

It's ok. Looks good, smells pretty much as expected etc etc. In general, an interesting rauchbier, but not distinguished enough for me. Just better than average in most regards, but still just a run of the mill brew as far as I'm concerned.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Serving temp: 50F Serving glass: Mug

Appearance: Dark brown colored, a little cloudy with moderate sized creamy head that laces poorly.

Aroma: Well, it's definitley a Rauchbier. Wonderful smells that I've never even come close to in a beer before. Big smokeiness like a pit full of hickory waiting for you throw a big slab of meat over it. Bacon comes to mind. Some roastiness in there too, but it's difficult for me to pull apart from the smoke.

Taste:A very sweet sensation with only a hint of the smoke at first. Some roasty bitterness comes in next. Finishes off with a heavy smoke profile and woody overtones.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied than I expected, but not thin. Moderate carbonation. Finishes somewhat dry.

Drinkability: Well, you either dig the smoke or not. This was my first Rauchbier, and I love the change of pace. I can really appreciate this style, however wouldn't picture myself drinking more than a couple of these just yet.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Got a couple of 500 mL bottles of this smokey brew at the LCBO a few weeks back. This is the first of two.

Poured a deep red or earthy brown colour into a pint glass, with a big frothy cappucino head. As the foam faded, left lots of sticky foam residue on the glass.

Smell is SMOKE and smoked meat -- bacon, pork -- along with some strong charcoal flavours. Hard to discern anything else out of it because of how powerful the smokey smells are.

Same with the taste -- charcoal, campfire, smoked meat. Very little carbonation. Actually, I found the flavour of this beer somewhat disappointing and simple. In addition, the beer looks thick, but in actuality is a little watery. And, surprisingly for such a powerfully strong beer, there's not much of an aftertaste (although what's there is just bacon, bacon, bacon).

I didn't drop the drinkability of this beer too much, since it's supposed to taste like it does, but I sure couldn't drink a lot of them (or even more than one, really). Definitely worth trying, but I don't think I'm a big fan, and I definitely prefer the lighter, more complex Bieropholie Calumet (reviewed earlier).

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Dullish offred pour with a small head.

Very nice and lively smoke smell. Red fatty meats and sharp yellow cheese that sting. Mmm mmm mmm that is a hardy rauchbier.

Red meat up front. Salami. Not as intense as it smells. Smokiness hits like a lazer gun, a precise burn that stiks to the front of your tongue and fades as it makes it way to the back of your throat. Marzen fruit in the back.

A very nice and well-balanced Rauchbier. A bit tame for the style--I'd give it to someone who's never had a smoky beer before to help ease them in.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

I love the strong charcoal-y aroma of this brew. It was like sitting in a back yard in August, lounging between games of horseshoes, smelling the wonderful scents of burgers on the grill. The taste may be arresting, but it is good and not gimmicky. The flavors aren't evenly-balanced--smoke rules, I drool--but they aren't so out of whack that this stops reminding you it's a beer. It's not the most easily quaffable beer, but it's not like some beers that go down so hard that your palate is screaming for a break by the end.

I think every BA should try this one (or a comparable Rauch). It's about broadening our experiences, afterall. The taste might be jarring at first, but I think that once you get over the initial shock, you'll realize that it's a reasonably smooth beer.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Color is very dark, rubyish. Head is very dense.

Smell: It has a very somkey smell. Almost smell beef jerky or hotdogs at first sniff. It is very nice smokey smell. I feel like I am smelling someone burn old papers and what not.

Tate: Also very smoky tasting. Like I put an extinquished match in my mouth (don't ask!!)

Mouthfeel: Very creamy

Drinkabilty: I like the smoked taste, but I don't know if I could drink more than one of these at a time. Very good nonetheless.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla