Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Dark reddish copper with fine suspended particles that are only visible when the glass is backlit. The ecru-colored head is average in size, is semi-soft and is slightly sticky. It disappears a bit too quickly and doesn't leave much lace.

Rauchbier Marzen smells overwhelmingly of smoke and, in fact, reminds me of smoke-cured meat. It's a pleasant aroma, it's just that it's an odd one coming from a pint of beer. I can still tell that I'm smelling beer though because I do appreciate the malt that's underlying the smoke.

This is my first smoked beer (Stone Smoked Porter doesn't count) and I'll have to say that it's an interesting cocoction. I'm glad that the brewers didn't go overboard with the smokiness. They were *just* judicious enough with the flavor intensity in my opinion. In less subtle hands, this could have turned into a glass of Liquid Smoke and been ruined.

There's a nicely charred, sweetly malty base line and a pleasant, 'just-right' smokiness that comprises the middle and top notes. Again though, I can't escape the scent memory of smoke-cured meat. That's not a bad thing since I like smoke-cured meat. And now I like 'smoke-cured meat in a glass'.

I'm not sure how well ASRM would match up with really smoky BBQ. It seems to me that the powerful flavor of the food would render the somewhat more fragile flavor of the beer moot. Best to enjoy this one without accompaniment, as I'm doing now. I don't know yet if anyone makes a more impressive rauchbier, but I'm plenty satisfied with this one.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 12, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What a deep amber colour. Beautifully dark and red with a white cloud floating atop it. Lots of sticky lace on the glass. Mesmerising to see. Hmm, barbecue. Smells a bit like smoked meat, with even a bit of ham smell. Odd for a beer, but it's making me hungry. Smoky malt sweet smell. Very slight hop aroma behing the ham. First sip tastes like roasted pork. Second sip, and it tastes like a beer. A beer smoked inside a meathouse beside salmon and whole ham. Almost a meal drink. Aftertaste is a bit hoppy, with more smoked salmon than ham. Odd, but nice. I can understand why people would hate this beer. Hey, some people don't want roasted swine in their beer. Thick, full bodied mouthfeel leaves the stomach pleasantly plump. Not drinkable in a short period of time, but something that will be drunk again.

slitherySOB, Jun 29, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

This one poured a lovely red color with a good head that lingered. It bore much promise.

The aroma was of light wood smoke, not too malty. It wasn't overpowering, but it let you know you were in for an experience.

The taste was more mild than I expected, with a rich depth of malt and the smokiness overlaying everything. Hints of maple in the aftertaste.

Definitely one to try.

connecticutpoet, Jun 25, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

This rauchbier pours a deep copper body with a beige head that stays the course. Sticky lace sheets the glass.

Aroma is maple smoked bacon, as are the other Schlenkerla biers I've tried. This one features some molasses maltiness underneath the immense smokiness.

Mouthfeel has medium body, low carbonation, and...smoke.

Taste reminds me of Westphalia ham, smoky, sweet, and slightly salty. Some sweetish malt can be tasted underneath, and hop bitterness is present for balance. I keep wondering what these Bamberg rauchbiers would taste like when served with pancakes, maple syrup, and country ham. Finish and aftertaste feature a solid dose of smoke charred beechwood.

If you're not familiar with these Franconian rauchbiers, you owe it to yourself to try one. At least, enjoy reading this brewery's website for its informative and rewarding explanation of the style.

merlin48, Jun 19, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a rich reddish-copper (almost like crystal cola) in the glass. A 2 finger tan fine pored head sprang up but reduced quickly to only a ring on the glass. Not overly carbonated. overriding aroma is of smoke...good food processing smoke like birch or hardwood...reminiscent of westphalia ham. The first gulp the smoke overpowers your senses..all go blotto on the smoke signals...but after you have a sip or two or you finish a couple of pieces of cheese or oysters, the smoke power wanes and you get the mellow character of this delicate marzen lager...and it is delicate... with lots of subtle complexity (well made) you just don’t get there on the first couple of gulps because it's cloaked by the smoke. All in all this is a toughie of a beer to slot...great german beer but perhaps too damn strong on smoke for some to be useful for anything else than a drink with similar strong tasting foods to off set them....like Jalapeno-infused anything or a strong tasting fish meal....I really like this beer and I drink it on its own in a session with out food but then I'm a marzen junke and Bamburg smoked marzen is a real treat for me....I had smoke taste up my nostrils and on the palate the next day...and loved it!

pootz, Jun 11, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Limpid deep chestnut brown coloured liquid poured into the glass yielding rich crimson highlights. A rather abundant off white head of fluffy foam topped the beer but did not stick around long. Had good adherence to the glass.

Solid aromas of beechwood smoke dominate a faint trace of caramel malt which only manages to manifest itself for a brief moment, until it is once again overpowered by the smoke.

A sporadic bead rises from the sides of the glass but erupts in the mouth into a sustained carbonation. The beer is rather light in body and slightly astringent. Faint signs of malt briefly grace the tastebuds and are surrounded by big notes of smoke... but not much more. A very weak taste experience that finishes with a jumble of smoky bitterness.

My memories were of a beer which was much more intense on all levels of appreciation. I remember it more rounded without being heavy and, although smoke dominated past samples, more of the caramel and malt expressed themselves. I must have gotten an old bottle.

Beersignal, Jun 11, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours brown with a bubbly head. Leaves some decent lacing.

Big smoke aroma, smells like bacon frying.

Medium body with very little carbonation. Very pleasing smokiness. Light malt sweetness shows up first and then moves to a bacon-like flavor, but it's much better than it sounds. Leaves a dry, smoky aftertaste.

This is my first rauchbier and it won't be my last. It's great in June and it's probably even better in December with some beef stew.

Southernbrew, Jun 06, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours out light brown and sits a dark, reddish brown in the glass with a good sized off-white head on top.

Smells of smoked fish/sausage, with a hickory/maple base. A bit of caramel and malt lie underneath the incredibly smoky aroma.

Tastes initially sweet with dark sugars and a light apply flavor. Quickly moves on into smoke country where a billow of rich flavors move across your mouth. Maple, caramel and that hickory smoked flavor run all over; a good combination of sweet and salty. A very tasty smoked beer, the first I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth with great carbonation levels, nothing overpowering. Leaves a slightly oily feel behind that reminds me of eating smoked salmon. Great hearty beer, perfect for a meal with burgers.

Skidz, May 24, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

From the bottle pours a deep rich mahagony color with an off white foamy head. The head disappeared quickly, and there was little lace on the glass. What an incredible smell. All I could really grasp was the smokiness. There may have been a hint of something else, but I could not find it. Taste was a nice rich maltiness followed a a nice amount of dry smoke. Seemed a bit thin, and not much carbonation. Overall, I thought this was a very interesting beer. It was rather smooth, and had a nice smoky flavor that was not too powerful, but was certainly there. Not very drinkable, but I would certainly like to pair this one up with some food.

Bierguy5, May 20, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Well this is not my favorite style of beer for sure but wanted to give this one a try,pours a deep amber with pretty light head.Huge smokey aroma like being next to a bonfire almost,taste is deeply smoked like smoked ham or sausage the beer has decent dry ending.Smokey and slightly sweet harsh on the taste buds for awhile I am sure a classic example but not my thing.Gave it a good rating however knowing this one is about as good as it gets for the style.

oberon, May 19, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a dark ruby but that's not really the color. Looks like the water at Blackwater Falls in WV. If you've been, you know. If not I apologize for my lack of color vocabulary. Sort of a ruby-brown I guess. A good sized tan head but it quickly dissipates. Some light lacing. Smells like pork rinds. That's all I can smell. It's smoky and porky and smells just like pork rinds to my nose.

Taste is overwhelmingly smoky to my palate. I mean, I have had rauchbier before but only American versions. This is the smokiest damn beer ever. Smoked pork, smoked shrimp are the flavors that come to mind. As I slowly get my tongue around the smoke, it is a nice malty marzen in there somewhere. Not sticky but a smooth maltiness. A very defined cigar aftertaste but I like cigars so that's cool with me. Not too drinkable for me, a sipper for sure but an experience in itself. As a beer advocate, you usually have some sort of reference for a style but this beer is unique to me. A singular taste adventure that is not to be missed if you want to learn about beer.

ViveLaChouffe, May 15, 2004
4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours out to a sparkling clear beautiful garnet with ruby accents, forming a soapy nice-sized light-tan head with good retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate, despite this bottle only having 1/4" of head space. Aroma is wonderful as I've come to expect from this brewery...nice solid smoke tones, but not overwhelming, with a lightly roasted malt balance in tow, and even some hops are discernable. Cleanly fermented. Mouthfeel is lively and very smooth with a clean finish and pleasantly medium-light body. The taste is heaven...The smoke is there, but in exquisite balance with the gentle roastiness and mild residual sweetness of the malts. The finish is crisp and clean with a lingering touch of bitterness floating on the tongue complementing a pleasant wisp of acidity and coffee. Alcohol is imperceptable and there are no off-flavors. This is simply a world-class brew.

This beer is amazing. Rich in complexity, uniquely smoky but with an exceptional drinkability...never off-putting and wonderfully balanced. Ahhhh...happiness.

Mitchster, May 08, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

Imperial Pint Bottle: This beer pours an almost clear, brown color. There was about no head to it, although it was a little carbonated. The aroma was smokey, even bordering on the aroma of smoked fish. Nothing else seems to be able to get through. The taste is smokey also. A bit of maltiness in the background. This just doesn’t get it for me.

Boto, Apr 30, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

I am sampling this brew at room temp and pouring into my snifter. The brew pours a rich ruby red with some mahogany tints. The smoke aroma is immediately apparent.
A small offwhite head foams up and quickly fades to an edge layer. Aroma is smoke and smoke, similar to smoked sausage or cheese. The first sip reveals a smooth tingly carbonation and lighter body than I expected. Flavor is a brief hit of sweet malt followed by smokiness that lingers for a while in my mouth. This is a tasty brew if you like smoked food, otherwise avoid it. I am probably going to use this in my chilli next time I make a batch.

sulldaddy, Apr 06, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

This is one of the beers that completely changed my perceptions about what a beer could be. My brother takes a few of these with sandwiches when he goes ice fishing in Fargo. A deep dark appearance with a rich thick mouth feel are nice, but the flavor is really incredible. Rich smoke, like that found in smoked Gouda cheese overwhelms the palate (in a good way). A tasty meal in a bottle. I've found that the Marzen goes best with the smoked flavor out of the three Aecht Schenkerlas.

cedricwarner, Apr 02, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

1pt. 9oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.07(this place has the funkiest prices). Was surprised to see it. I had always been curious about German smoked lagers. My only smoked beers previously had been smoked porters from U.S. micros.

This poured a dark reddish brown. Medium sized off-white head that dropped fast, after a fairly vigorous pour. Slight, thin sheets of lace.

This smells like smoked sausages. I got a hankering for German cuisine just by sniffing the opened bottle. I like the smell of smoked sausage, but it's a bit odd coming from a beer. There was nothing else that I could pick out, the smoked odor was pretty overwhelming.

The taste was good, if you like smoked sausage. Like the smell, the taste was totally dominated by the smoked malts. This is a good thing if you like that kind of flavor, very bad if it puts you off. There's a very slight hop note at the finish, but it's doing all it can just to be noticed. This doesn't seem to balanced, but it may be on purpose.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick, though not to the point of a good doppelbock. For a marzen, it's probably about right.

This is a tasty beer if it's your cup of tea. I don't think it is something many people would like to consume in any quantity. It's rather filling, like a plate of good smoked German sausages. This would probably complement grilled meat. Time to fire up the grill!

woemad, Apr 01, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Pours an amber brown with small white head and good lacing.

Smell: Wow, smells like smoked sausage most definitly. Along with a slight sweet smell makes this smell delicious.

Taste: It's like drinking summer sausage. The smoky flavour carries this brew and adds great enjoyment to my drinking. I have never had any beer like this before and I like it. Leave it to the Germans to make a beer that tastes like sausage I guess. Small citrus taste in the finish, but lingering smokiness fills your mouth. Incredible.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, very robust and quenching. Small ammount of carbonation if any.

Drinkability: Ummm... Drinkable if you like sausage. I do, but it's hard to finish the whole thing. Share with friends or drink with food.

Interesting beer to say the least. Try again with a German dinner to ensure a great evening.

abents, Apr 01, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

A nice foamy head on a mahogany color. The smell is wonderful: as soon as your nose gets close to the glass, you smell this incredible smoked bacon aroma. That was great. The taste was exactly what I expected from the smell: a great smoked bacon flavor, with a nice carbonation, and a slightly citric aftertaste that gives the beer a high drinkability and a very refreshing aspect. It's amazing to see what you can do with malts once they get smoked. A very good surprize for me. I definitely want to have this one again.

tjd25, Mar 27, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +1%

Pours a medium brown ( it was hard to tell as the beer was poured into a krug) with a nice foamy tan head.. The nose is of sweet smoked meat. In the words of Homer Simpson mmmm bacon beer. Taste is quite nice with a bit of sweet malt at the beginning, then the wonderfully done smoked malt charging to the fore, it ends with just enough hops to dry out and cut the smoke. This went wonderfuly with the schnitzel I had, but to have it with some grilled meats or nice sausages would be heavenly. Mouthfeel was almost oily, but the carbonation provided enough so that the smoke didnt linger like a dirty ash tray. Drinkability is good. I wouldnt pound these all night, but a couple with food is a no-brainer. I will definately seek this out and order it again.

TinusTime, Mar 22, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Some people like this style some people hate it. I think I fall into the former catagory. On tap at the Toad, whcih was a pleasent surprise. Poured a hazy muddy brown color with a little bit of a grey head. Smelled of nothing but smoke. The kind of smoke that clings to your clothes after sitting around a campfire for a couple nights. Deep woody flavors and a bit of smoked salmos as well. Taste had more of that huge herby smokiness, but the finish was almost cracker like in its toastiness. very interesting blend of tastes. I would say that you should definitely try this beer even if you don't like smoked anything. it will be worth it.

GreatPondBrewer, Mar 16, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

Smoked salmon. Smoked kippers. Smoked sardines. Smoke any seafood, I would guess, and you've got the aroma of this deep chestnut brown ale that arrived from the tap with virtually no head at all. The taste matched the smell; it started off with a tart, vinegar-like initial blast, heavily salted, all of which fortunately mellowed as the schlenkurla malts rose up and insinuated themselves towards the finish, at which point I was able to appreciate the underlying complexity of this ale. There's some forest foundation, like an old campfire, but also some subtle sweetness (a sweet and sour seafood dish, heavy on the sour, and cooked outside over an open fire--that's the best I can do)

longpondbeerman, Mar 16, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottle – Poured an amber cleared type brew with a nice head. Aroma of smoke is extremely present, a bit too much for my liking. Taste is overpowered by smoke, almost like drinking a beer in a salmon smoker. This is not bad beer just very different from what I’m used to drinking on a regular basis. This beer would be wonderful if it was accompanied by some sausages or even smoked salmon.

Phyl21ca, Mar 15, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours with a rich, creamy, off-white head that dissipates gradually; fair degree of stickiness before sliding back into the beer. Beer is a chestnut brown color with great clarity and a few swift streamers. Transparent and bright when held to light, with slightly orangish highlights. Aroma is of smoke--not tobacco, but food smoke. There's also a subtle salinity, suggesting smoked seafood (especially oysters) and further back, the heat of freshly sawn wood (cedar). Taste is more smoke but stunningly light upon the roof of the mouth, along with what I originally thought was cedar, until I read that the wood for the fire is beechwood--yes, beechwood is more accurate. Beef or venison jerky, liquid smoke, and very salty. I am new to the style, but I just don't see much diversity here and presently I got tired of the flavor. Mouthfeel is light and wet with a minerally finish and really not much aftertaste. As far as drinkability, I'm sure this goes great with smoked food, sharp cheese, etc. but on its own? I don't need another.

NearerMyBeerToMe, Mar 10, 2004
3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Smoke . . . lots of smoke.

I felt like I was heating smoked sausage.

I guess this is a good beer . . . if you like smoked beers and cheeses . . . which I really do not.

Still . . . strangely . . . I found this beer very drinkable. I think this is a testament to the craftmanship.

dansteino, Mar 08, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +1%

16.9oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep ruby red color, almost black at some angles, with three fingers of off-white head. There is lots of lacing left on the glass. The smell is nothing but smoke, very intense. Smells almost like burnt wood. Based on the smell, I thought the taste would be WAY too smokey, but suprisingly, it's not. It's got an absolutely perfect amount of smoked malt. It's not too subtle, but definately not overpowering. A hint of caramel in there, and just the slightest touch of hops on the finish. The mouthfeel is just a little light and oily. The drinkability is superb for a smoked beer. A really good offering. I'm looking forward to the other Schlenkerla brews.

SheepNutz, Mar 01, 2004