Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,027 | Hads: 2,033
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

This is my first rauchbier but I will try to be as objective as possible. Poured into a globe typ goblet. A very nice head forms on the top, about one finger worth. Leaves a generous amount of lacing down the glass as well. Very dark amber in color, reminiscent of a brown ale maybe.

Smell is of, well, smoke. Smells like a side of smoked bacon or even some smoke sausage of some sort. Smells very enticing. Smells like a meal in a bottle. An interesting smell, but definitely what I was looking for. No hops or anything else in the aroma. All smoke.

Taste is of smoked meat and pepper. Again, interesting. It would probably take some people a little while to get used to it. I actually like it.

Medium body. Looking for more substance. A little watery at times. One or two of these I think is all I could handle in one sitting. Very strong flavor.

I am enjoying this with a bit of smoked turkey on oregano triscuits; perfect combination I must say. Would definitely go well with smoked bbq sandwich or smoked kilbasa sausage. (1,039 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%

I will admit it- I have been afraid of this beer. I am of German extraction, and I love German food, German beer, etc., but the concept of a smoked beer has just scared me. Sometimes an idea can be scary- this is one of them. So I finally bit the bullet on this "best of class" beer, and bought two. Then I let one sit in my fridge for a couple of months while I got up the nerve. I am moving soon, and need to reduce bulk, so here goes.

Pours an unexciting brown with all of nothing for a head. Completely unremarkable.

Aroma- holy hell. This is the exact replica of the finest smoked hard salami & German sausage from when I worked in a deli many many years ago. Pepper and other spices mixed with smoked, cured beef. Wow. I can't believe it- I can do nothing but give this a perfect 5.

Flavor is a smoky, meaty wonderfulness like I haven't tasted in years. As a beer, I'm reluctant to give it 5, because it's so un-beer like. On second thought, it does have some beer qualities- wet, cold, and tasty. 5 it is.

Mouthfeel is relatively thin as most marzens are, so I guess it fits the style. And that's probably ok, because if it was as rich as the sausage it's pretending to be, one would be able to drink an ounce or two, and be done.

This is one incredible beer. Reminds me of my German heritage! (1,316 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +19.2%

i love anything that is smoked. be that meat, cheese, fish, i love it. and when i was introduced to smoked beer it blew my mind. now that these little rippers have bobbed up around town im more than taking the chance to indulge.

pours a delightful deep red/ brown color. the white head was thin, but lacing was apparent. the beer has light but pleasant carbonation. amazing smoky aroma, resembling great german smallgoods like kaiserfleish and kassler, backed up by sweet malts and caramel tones. the smoke is apparent on the front palate, then rolls into a smooth, yet firm roasted malt flavor, with hints of coffee and everton toffee. finishes with a crisp and tasty hop bitterness that doesnt take over, but holds its own in a tidy fashion. being the hedonistic fool i am sometimes, i could just go and drink this all night long. however, i prefer to save it for every once in awhile to savor the unique characteristics just that little bit more.

one of the worlds finest range of brews, and this is one of the picks of the bunch. in my book, you havent really drank beer until youve had at least one of these beauties, whether you end up liking it or not. in my all time top 10 easy. (1,194 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a reddish cola brown with a 2 cm tan head heavily leaned towards the white end. The head reduces to a whitish algae-like covering that slides about on the surface (not a bacterial infection, I'm just getting tired of describing this as lace-like).

Smells of smoking wood, bacon, my sweatshirt after sitting by a campfire, with some buried bales of hay.

The mouthfeel is slightly slick with a low amount of carbonation.

Taste? Smoky. The whole thing is like a mouthful of wood smoke. This smoky taste lingers on into the aftertaste, becoming the aftertaste. This aftertaste lingers on in your mouth, causing your wife to make comments about 'eating bacon this late at night.' Part way through, the smokiness seems to get filtered out somewhat by my brain, allowing me to discern a touch of honey sweetness.

It's ok. Looks good, smells pretty much as expected etc etc. In general, an interesting rauchbier, but not distinguished enough for me. Just better than average in most regards, but still just a run of the mill brew as far as I'm concerned. (1,064 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Serving temp: 50F Serving glass: Mug

Appearance: Dark brown colored, a little cloudy with moderate sized creamy head that laces poorly.

Aroma: Well, it's definitley a Rauchbier. Wonderful smells that I've never even come close to in a beer before. Big smokeiness like a pit full of hickory waiting for you throw a big slab of meat over it. Bacon comes to mind. Some roastiness in there too, but it's difficult for me to pull apart from the smoke.

Taste:A very sweet sensation with only a hint of the smoke at first. Some roasty bitterness comes in next. Finishes off with a heavy smoke profile and woody overtones.

Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied than I expected, but not thin. Moderate carbonation. Finishes somewhat dry.

Drinkability: Well, you either dig the smoke or not. This was my first Rauchbier, and I love the change of pace. I can really appreciate this style, however wouldn't picture myself drinking more than a couple of these just yet. (960 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Got a couple of 500 mL bottles of this smokey brew at the LCBO a few weeks back. This is the first of two.

Poured a deep red or earthy brown colour into a pint glass, with a big frothy cappucino head. As the foam faded, left lots of sticky foam residue on the glass.

Smell is SMOKE and smoked meat -- bacon, pork -- along with some strong charcoal flavours. Hard to discern anything else out of it because of how powerful the smokey smells are.

Same with the taste -- charcoal, campfire, smoked meat. Very little carbonation. Actually, I found the flavour of this beer somewhat disappointing and simple. In addition, the beer looks thick, but in actuality is a little watery. And, surprisingly for such a powerfully strong beer, there's not much of an aftertaste (although what's there is just bacon, bacon, bacon).

I didn't drop the drinkability of this beer too much, since it's supposed to taste like it does, but I sure couldn't drink a lot of them (or even more than one, really). Definitely worth trying, but I don't think I'm a big fan, and I definitely prefer the lighter, more complex Bieropholie Calumet (reviewed earlier). (1,145 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Dullish offred pour with a small head.

Very nice and lively smoke smell. Red fatty meats and sharp yellow cheese that sting. Mmm mmm mmm that is a hardy rauchbier.

Red meat up front. Salami. Not as intense as it smells. Smokiness hits like a lazer gun, a precise burn that stiks to the front of your tongue and fades as it makes it way to the back of your throat. Marzen fruit in the back.

A very nice and well-balanced Rauchbier. A bit tame for the style--I'd give it to someone who's never had a smoky beer before to help ease them in. (548 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%

I love the strong charcoal-y aroma of this brew. It was like sitting in a back yard in August, lounging between games of horseshoes, smelling the wonderful scents of burgers on the grill. The taste may be arresting, but it is good and not gimmicky. The flavors aren't evenly-balanced--smoke rules, I drool--but they aren't so out of whack that this stops reminding you it's a beer. It's not the most easily quaffable beer, but it's not like some beers that go down so hard that your palate is screaming for a break by the end.

I think every BA should try this one (or a comparable Rauch). It's about broadening our experiences, afterall. The taste might be jarring at first, but I think that once you get over the initial shock, you'll realize that it's a reasonably smooth beer. (783 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: Color is very dark, rubyish. Head is very dense.

Smell: It has a very somkey smell. Almost smell beef jerky or hotdogs at first sniff. It is very nice smokey smell. I feel like I am smelling someone burn old papers and what not.

Tate: Also very smoky tasting. Like I put an extinquished match in my mouth (don't ask!!)

Mouthfeel: Very creamy

Drinkabilty: I like the smoked taste, but I don't know if I could drink more than one of these at a time. Very good nonetheless. (494 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Had this awesome Rauch with Teaser in Sydney at the Lowenbrau Keller. Actually went to the bar for Rauchenfelser, but they had this instead.

Poured a dark russet mahogany into the Lowenbrau 1/2Ltr glass, with a dense off white slighty brownish head, that dissipated quickly.

Aromas of smoke, bacon, dark malts, a slight roastyness, and a faint fruit character, coming back to that awesome smoked meat and campfire aroma... yummy.

The flavour was a little dissapointing compared to the smell. Sure, it was very smokey, with a rich malty almost caramel character to it, but just not what I was expecting. Had a nice lingering malt and smoke flavour, with the smoke dominating, very easy drinking. Sadly, not as good as Rauchenfelser. On the funny side, the bar manager came out to see if we were enjoying our meals, sees that Tease is drinking the Rauch, and says something like "Wow, you're brave, a very strong flavoured beer, I'm not too keen on it myself", but with more of a German accent. (1,003 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Schlenkerla makes some absolutely superb beers. They take some getting used to, so give yourself at least 1/2 bottle before giving up on it. When I first tried one, my initial reaction was that it was too much. About 1/2 way through the bottle I began to like it. Since then, I've grown to love them. Wonderful for sitting on the deck in the Fall taking in the smell of the dead leaves and the wonderful colors.

Pours a deep brown with reddish hints around the edges of the dimples in my mug when held up to the light. There is a very thin head. The smell is outstanding and powerful. Campfire smoke, the coals of a fire, smoked beef, and bacon. The smell has me sitting around a campfire eating beef jerky. The taste begins with the campfire smoke, but there is also a mildly sweet malt base that puts most marzens to shame. As the beer sits, the smoked meat flavors pick up...think pig roast and bacon. After the swallow, the bacon smell pushes everything else out of its way and dominates. After this dissipates, your tongue is left feeling coated...in a good way. The opposite of dry. Drinkability is not very high because the flavors are very intense and this smokiness does not lend itself to mulitple visits in one session. The 1/2 liter bottle is a perfect size. I didn't go too low though, becasue this beer deserves a high score.

Enjoy the coming Autumn with many of these great beers. (1,401 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

This will not be for everyone, clearly. As the description suggests, the smoked malts impart a very strong and distinct smoky taste. If you're a tea-lover, compare this to lapsang souchong.

The odor is that of beef jerky. I should have picked up a nice sharp cheddar to go with this.

Color is dark ruby with a small head.

Very tasty. I'd like to explore this style more. The Marzen is pretty much the same style as Oktoberfest, only the smoked malts take precedence in defining this as a rauchbier.

This isn't a beer to drink regularly, in my opinion, but an occasional treat. A week ago, I tried Jinx by Magic Hat which was supposed to be a smoked beer. The smoke flavor was very very faint.

Here, it will smack you in the head. So it's very much a matter of taste. Personally, I love it. (815 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

This brew is like drinking beef jerky, incredible!

Pours a dark hazy brown in color with a thin tan head. Nose is incredible! Full of smoke and bread! Taste of course follows suit naturally, completely overwhelms my tastebuds. There is a decent malt backbone to it as well, slightly sweet, but the smoke of course is the primary player here. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but decent, could use a little more body. Drinkability is average, while this is interesting, I coulsn't drink more than a pint of it. This brew is definatly something you need to be in the mood for.

Slàinte! (582 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Very enjoyable--more so that Aecht's other smoked beers. The Marzen displays a solid but subtle base for displaying the aromas and flavors of the smoked malt without competing with them. Smells like beef jerky. Tastes like beef jerky (when chased with a Marzen beer). Aftertase is basically the same. All characteristics show a moderate level of sweetness and smoothness that makes it incredibly easy to drink. Low alcohols keep this beer from becoming harsh or too soy sauce-like. Nice campfire aura about it. I do recommend, even though I'm not terribly fond of the style. (574 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a darkish clear root beer color with an amber/copper hue, minimal biege head, and some carb action.

The smell is of flavorful smoked wood.

Moderately sweet/acidic, flavorful smoked wood, and roasted caramel malt taste with an oak and slightly grapefruit/orange hops flavor.

Medium bodied, slightly syrupy texture, soft almost flat carbonation, and a smooth finish.

The best smoked beer I've ever had, I prefer a little less smoke than this but why would I complain, most of the flavors are hidden by the smoke, and there is a smooth finish for session status. (577 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%

Served from a 16 oz bottle. Appearance was a languid brown, nothing at all to take not of really. The head was quite substantial originally, and it hung in there for near the duration.

The aroma was quite exceptional. Never before have I whiffed this nose of smoke in a beer. Not quite sure what it reminded me of, however the bartender at the establishment I was enjoying, the Hop Devil Grill, suggested smoked meat, like a bacon. By Jove, he may have had something there. Nevertheless, I quaffed a tad and was nearly blown over. This stuff tasted just plain weird. Howsomever, deeper into the bottle I took quite the liking to this smoky brew.

This beer felt good in the mouth, tasted intesting and good, and went down nicer than I could have ever before imagined. Hurrah. The Germans do it once again. (812 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%

this poured clear, almost black, big frothy head, that retained well.
aroma was of smoky bacon, hint of dark fruit as well...intriguing...
taste was smoky up front, hint of light hops, some malt...but the smoked flavor predominates here.
mouthfeel is light, yet full, slight creaminess.
drinability, is for me, limited, the smoked novelty seems to wear off fast, and, I just couldn't make this a session beer, it is unique, and interesting though, and I would certainly recommend tryin it out!.... (501 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

The Rauchbier style is an old German beer style, its origins go back to the 1500's and to the district of Franconia and the town of Bamberg. It's typically of dark colour and has similarities of the Oktoberfestbier. Green malts are literally dried over an open fire of beech wood, imparting a unique smokiness ("rauch" is German for smoke), the usage of which produces beers of an acquired taste. Imagine a smokiness so robust, so assertive, that it tastes of spiced, smoked meat.

Well, this has to be my first smoke beer from Germany or anywhere by that matter. When I pop the top on this beast I actually smell smoked beer, dying to try it now because my mouth is watering. Let me taste it now.
Ok thats different so where's the ham and chesse?
This would defintely fit in with ham and chesse group.

The pour, Huge head but didn't last long, bummer.

This says a pint and 9 oz. good becuse the last ber was 11.2 oz.

Dark but you can see through it with light.

I need to look up what Marzen means.

Brewed back in the 1500's, hmm don't really get into them much.
Well it's thick and chewy so I like that but something is throwing it off for me.
The days would have to be colder for me to enjoy this one more.
So if you like meat really bad you will like this one. (1,292 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Smokebeer? interesting name on the top label had me intrigued. Poured into a pilsener glass the head was white and lacked lacing but the color was a nice dark red to brown and filtered. Big Smoked jerky smell / malty/ bit of coffee/caramel porter type background. The taste was very new to me. This is the last of the 6 bottles I picked up recently and I've had the same feeling each time I gobbled one. The smoke flavour is nicely crafted and not too overbearing but it would be tough to drink more than one of these at any one time. I found it went nicely with some pepperoni sticks and sharp tilamook cheese w/ crackers. (623 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It smells like beef jerky. I can't get enough of these beers! The taste is great as well. It has a deep, smokey flavor that's laid over pale and crystal malts. It goes down smooth with a dry lager yeast finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. I love the aroma and taste. I wish this style was more available; a good drinker. (518 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +2%

Served from the 500mL bottle into a pint glass. The color is a dark brown with the ruby red tinting, with a bubbly, wispy head leaving a bit of a lingering ring. The smell blasts out the smoky malt flavor, reminding me of a bottle of liquid smoke or a barbeque, and not much else in there. As strong as it smells though, the taste manages to be somewhat balanced...this is Schlenkerla, no doubt, so there is a strong robust smokiness, but there is a balancing bit of crystal malt caramel that keeps this beer from being too over-the-top. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, the strong smokiness just doesn't make it too much of a sessioner except in the right circumstances (barbeque, perhaps?)

Definitely, along with its brothers the Urbock and Weizen, the gold standard for the German rauchbier. There's no doubt as to the nature of this beer...smoke and lots of it, but it still manages to have a nice balance of sweetness. Quite nice, and one I will have again (974 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

appearance: pours a meddium brown. Most Marzen's i've seen are more reddish but this is brown. nice big head that holds.

smell: it smells like bacon. good pan fried bacon. I happen to love bacon so why not. 5 for style oviously you wouldn't want every beer like this but i just love this.

taste: smokey(duh). First taste is similar to smell, like burnt bacon. underneath it is a nice marzen sweetness. If you hold it to the roof of your mouth you more of the smoke taste. The marzen part is really good and smooth.

mouthfeel: nice real light, typical of marzens which run lite.

drinkability: so drinkalbe. First Raunch and i'm oh so ready for more(a trip to bamburg). wish i could find it easier and wish it wasn't 4.50 a pint bottle, but hey i will get this again( and try to bock) after a day of DIPA drinkng yesterday, this is so refreshing and easy to drink it's bringing a smile to my face. to me it wasn't hard to get into at al .... .. i loved the first sip! (979 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

This was my first-ever rauchbier. I had no idea what to expect when I opened the bottle. Poured a chocolate brown. A slight head bubbled up, disappearing after a few seconds. It smelled like a smokehouse, and had a slight taste of bacon. I'd imagine that this would be great with a quality piece of gouda cheese. Not something that I'd like to drink every day, but it's worth trying. (383 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

appearance: deep and dark brown, rich tan head

smell: smoke, and lots of it. smoked meats, your clothes after a campfire

taste: smoked meat...that pretty much sums it up. one of the more pleasant smoked beers i have had though

mouthfeel: quite dry, smooth

drinkability: certainly easier than some other smoky brews (326 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

This Rauchbier pours a deep mahogany color, hints of red shine through the glass. A thick white head is on top of this brew, fades slow to a lace but never really fades.
The aroma is one of a kind. It reminds me of living in Germany (87-99). I would wake up in the morning to go and get fresh brochen from the baker for breakfast and the near by butcher would have his smokehouse going. A deep smokey tone, like in a smokehouse come to mind. A mild hint of malt is present but is quickly covered by the smoke.

Taste is the smoke, not too overwhelming but present. There is a malt presents midway through with a slight bitter finish and a smoky aftertaste. The finish is smooth on the palette. Drinkability is fare and hard to judge. I may get a bit burnt out (no pun) on the smoky flavor. I’m sure this beer goes great when paired up with the proper meal.

Had the chance to go to the brewery while stationed in Germany….man I whish I didn’t pass up that opportunity.
Cant wait to try the others from Aecht. (1,018 characters)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla