Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,081 | Ratings: 2,192
4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Woody mahogany color with a soapy tan head. Retention holds a nice thick looking ring . Nose is loaded with smokey wood. Reminds me of hickory meat seasoning. This would go great with a good steak. Yummy meaty aromas include ham, bacon, and pork (the whole pig it seems). Just the right malts mesh tightly with the smokey meat scents. Delightfully robust in nose and taste too. Flavors match the nose and leave the palate drooling for german meats. Mouthfeel is rather smooth and softly creamy in texture. Very drinkable, and probably even more so with the right meal.

A good choice and certainly worth getting again. Not to mention this would make a premium marinade.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Pours a beautiful dark reddened amber color with a slight creamy head. Smells deeply of smoked meats...bacon or ham comes to mind. The taste lessens up on the smoke and actually lets more of a malt sweetness through to compliment with a pinch of tobacco. Mouthfeel is medium and approaches creamy - finishes clean.

This is my first ever Rauchbier and I have to say its a very unique style. It would most likely be an exellent choice to pair with a hearty, meaty meal.

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 25oz bottle that was served too cold by the bar that charged me WAY too much for this beer [triple what I could buy it for down the street]. Anyway, just felt like trying it.

Poured a very nice reddish-brown. Small light brown head [perhaps due to it being served too cold] which dissipated quickly. LIght carbonation see rising.

Aroma is delicious! Lots of smoke from a fire and some roasted malts. Sort of like vaporized ham.

Taste is of smoked malts that leads to sweetness. Finish is more smokiness. Somewhat medicinal tasting...not sure where that came from.

Mouthfeel is medium-light and smooth. Much lighter than I was expecting.

Overall, a very interesting beer. I wouldn't call it drinkable. Just too much smoke taste to drink too many. Also, very important to match with the right food. Certainly some BBQ or a good hamburger would work.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: Deep amber in color, with superb clarity, the head soon collapses to a small scattering of foam, with thin patchy lacing, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Mildly smoky aroma, somewhat like smoked cheese, with toasted malt notes as well.

Taste: Mildly smoky at the open, with an underlying caramel malt, which carries through the taste, along the the smoke notes and a mild hop presence. Finishes with a mild smoky, earthy note.

Mouth feel: Rich, soft, and very pleasing.

Drinkability/notes: Excellent and very drinkable, the smoke notes are somewhat restrained, quite distinctive.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Absolutley delicious. I have had quite a lot of the Ur-Bock, but this is by first Baptising in Märzen. I feel this smoke flavour profile is much, much stronger in this than the Ur-Bock. It poured about the same colour, a brownish - red bronze with a slight chill haze and off white head that dissolved in a few seconds leaving a lovely looking blanket of frost about the surface. Smell was camp fire smoke, bacon, and sweet malts such as one would expect from a good Oktoberfest bier such as Paulaner. Taste was more smoke and a bit drier than the Ur-Bock, with less sweet of a finish than the Ur-Bock, as well. I think I prefer this to the Ur-Bock, which unfortunately, I have easier access to than this. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a great weight to be a Märzen, even with the smoke. Rauchbier would easily be in my top five favourite styles, and I believe I just found my favourite rauchbier. Wunderbar!

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

My first rauchbier experience poured a brownish red with a thin head.

Boy, when they said this really smelled like smoked meat, they wasn't kiddin'! Think salami, people, or the smell of a roaring yule log (or perhaps a delicious summer sausage). Damn. It's almost hard to find any hint of a marzen underneath it all, but it's there, that I am sure of.

Now I'm not usually a fan of marzens, but when it's coupled with this bombastic smoked flavor, it's much better (to me). The sweet, smooth, crisp marzen flavor definitely is there, but it's overshadowed by the smokiness which enhances it, I think. I'll definitely be trying more of these Rauchbiers in the very near future.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours crystal clear mahogany with half inch of creamy head that slowly recedes to film and medium lace. Smells fragrantly smoky, a bit greasy, grainy. Light malt sweetness on the front of the tongue. Slightly chewy grains in the center. Finishes with very clean and appetizing smokiness that isn't overwhelming. The dichotomy between the smoke and cool clean finish is shocking at first, but quite mouth-watering after a few sips. Taste light and well-balanced between cream and carbonation. My favorite of the Heller-Trum beers so far. Delicious and easy-drinking.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

10/7/2005 $3.79 1 pint 9 oz 5.10% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a deep brown with intense highlights of amber and ruby red. Tight carbonation leads to an inch plus of creamy tan head that settles slowly leaving behind a nice lacing.

Aroma:

Smoked ham, camp fire pits, sweet malt in the background.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Mouthfeel is ultra-smooth with a nicely sweet malt backbone that is surrounded by the sensation of smoked ham bits that appear in Cambell's soup (Bean w/ Bacon comes to mind). I tried this about two years ago, and poured the bottle down the drain, considering it undrinkable. Fast forward to today, and I find it amazing. One of the smoothest beers I've encountered, while the smoke and malt sweetness pair nicely.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours medium-to-dark brown wtih about 3/4-finger head. Only two apparent smells are dark roasted malt and smoked pork. You may think you don’t want your beer smelling like meat but this one’s kosher, believe me. Thin and watery on the tongue, moderate carbonation - the smoke flavor picks up immediately before you’ve even had a chance to swallow. Tastes almost entirely of smoky, roasted malt - almost no hop presence whatsoever (nor any trace of meat flavoring, thank Whomever). Altogether extremely smoky, but not in a "burnt" sort of way. I could probably drink a number of these in one sitting. Maybe not quite a session beer, but something that I can imagine myself jonesing for in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a deep dark brown, with frothy one finger head that recedes slowly to a spotty cap and thick ring, leaving behind a nice webbing of lace.

Smell; this smell's strongly of smoked pork. I also get some caramel malts, with a little sweetness in there.

Taste; interesting smokey flavors that I associate with homemade smoked pork. There's those sweet caramel, and toffee malts that mingles very nicely with the smoked flavors, with just some hints of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but the drinkability is higher than I was expecting. This is only the second true Rauchbier that I've had, and I can't believe how good it is. I have a couple more different ones to sample, and now i can't wait to try them.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Picked up a single at Steve's on University. Bottle enjoyed in succession between the Aecht Urbock and New Glarus Smoked Rye Bock.

Pours a dark, rusty amber under several fingers of soapy khaki cream and some decent lacing.

Nose is very light with the faintest hints of smoke over fruit cocktail.

Just as light on the palate a very light smokiness over sweet, caramel Oktober-malt and a bit of fruit.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, borderline watery.

Overall a fairly drinkable beer, quite drinkable for a rauch, and entirely inoffensive. Marzen, the Workingman's Rauchbier.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Earthy brown with medium clarity, and not as red as the Schlenkerla bock. Thin head with a few suds. Medium viscosity.

Aroma: Smoky toffee and soybean aroma, with metallic lager finish. Brown sugar notes linger in the nose, though the beers aroma more or less dissipated in 5-10 minutes.

Taste: Nice light body, punctuated by smoky front palate. Refreshing raisin finish. Very little bitterness, despite a nice lager finish. Light the whole way through.

Mouthfeel: Goes down remarkably easily. Medium carbonation is not particularly aggressive.

Drinkable: Not as complex in development as the Schlenkerla bock, but this is definitely a drinkable and sessionable rauchbier. Lighter flavors showcase the smoke, but facilitate easy consumption. I prefer the flavor of the Urbock, but admire the easy-drinking agreeableness of this beer.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

this stuff was amazing; all other rauchbiers are unfortunate for me having sampled this as my first example of the style

it's a black lager (so i wouldn't go with "märzen") with a creamy stoutish-colored head. good lacing

big smoke...everywhere. the aroma is hops and campfire. the flavor is liquid bacon (that sounds so gross, but it's so delicious) with a smooth medium+ body. bitterness is more of a balancing element, but it works well with the smoke, giving it something to stand on

a damn fine brew...worth a trip to bamberg on its own

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Clear dark brown/mahogany with a nice full creamy tan head; nice carbonation and lace. Very pronounced burnt wood smoked aroma; much stronger than the Spezial. A taste comparable to licking a stick out of a campfire or eating a burnt marshmallow (and who doesn't love those ? :-). Maybe a bit ove rhe top but nicely unique. Medium bodied and creamy smooth with a dry smoky burnt finish and aftertaste.

Very smoky ! A classic example ! Well worth the $ !

Per bottle: 5.1% ABV

Per BH website: OG: 13.2%, Alcohol: 5.1%, Bitterness: 30

($3.59 / 16.9 oz. wider brown Euro style bottle)

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

We were enjoying a fun Friday afternoon at Grand Cru as I stopped inside to pick up a round. I got a few framboise for the ladies and perused the stash for my next. I ended up deciding on Schlenkerla mainly because I had a tasty rauch the week before at ABC.

As I poured the murky blood brown liquid into my plastic serving cup, everyone became interested in the new brew with the interesting labeling. I passed it around for sniffs and potential samples. The first sampler wrinkled her nose with disgust, "Ugh, oh my god, it just smells like hell. This framboise is heaven, I don't know what that is." The second sampler took a whiff, then he took a long drag. "Mmm, like snapping into a slim jim."

I sniffed, thinking that it was alot like smoked salmon, and took a sip. Not bad, like an overly smokey BBQ, with some tobacco and ashy backgrounds. Thought that it would require some more sweetness or complexity in there to make it more drinkable. Nice to sample, don't know if I'll be coming back to it. It would make an excellent backbone to a BBQ sauce.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a deep redish-brown with an inch of light tan head. This sits for a while and is helped along by the low-medium carbonation.

S - Smoked meat and salmon mainly. Some background notes of sweet malts, spice and nuttiness.

T - Malts are in first, but are quickly overtaken by smokiness. Begins to get bitter/dry and finishes this way into a long smokey aftertaste.

M - Medium-full body, smooth, creamy, low-moderate carbonation.

D - Really good stuff. Drank the second half of it with some smoked cheddar, which worked well. I could see how this would be great with bbqed meat.

1.12/5  rDev -72.4%

I have never tried a beer that I couldn't finish. My brother is the same. Well, yesterday we tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and neither of us could drink it.

What an experience! I must admit I am not a big fan of smoked food and I realize that this beer is probably an acquired taste but I will give Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen credit for initiating a lesson in recognizing excessive hubris on my part. I generally pride myself in my ability to eat or drink things that would make a billygoat sick but this stuff slapped me hard and put me in my place.

We did, however, put the beer to good use as a marinade for our barbecued chicken. Now that I can handle.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Mmmm...smoke! This beer is a classic example, for me, of how tastes can change. The 1st time, I thought the idea of a beer that had flavors of bacon drippings sounded great, but I didnt like its execution. Fast forward like 1.5-2 years later and I love it. In fact, I wish it was smokier! As it is, its hard to decide my favorite of the Heller-Trum Rauchbiers, likely this one as its probably the smokiest one of the bunch (Urbock is the other contender).
Decent appearance, good clarity. Sort of a dark-orange, but without much head staying power.
Smells like campfire smoke. Tastes the same, but not as "in-your-face" as I remembered. I mean, the smokiness is the only really noticeable aspect (maybe a hint of caramel malt under there), but its not overpowering, to me. Then again I loved smoked meats, smoked peppers, smoked cheeses, etc.
Its light bodied and with a low abv. Definitely highly sessionable, though I dont session much of anything too often.
This is great, I wish there were more smoked beers around. I've been drinking them up lately, but there arent many others. Guess I'll have to buy this whenever I want a smoke fix.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

First I love smoked food, So I may be prejudice here.

Poured from a generous big bottle to a fine lidded heavy glass bierkrug. The head stood up tall faded smartly and left a very nice tan lace. The color of the liquid is a medium dark amber with fiery red orange and brown hues.

Smell is ... Yes Smokey. Could be a bit like smoked fish, but I will go with smoked malt. It has a slight pungent cheese scent and a ripe fruit note .

Taste is of smoked malt, very malty indeed. The smoke flavor in this offering is not overwhelming but a wonderful complement to a very smooth roasted malt and some of the tastiest hops this far north of Munchen. The complex flavors released as it warms are accented by the smoked flavor and add extremely interesting dementions to the Marzen style. I loves me some Marzen, and this beer totally writes a new chapter in that book. With this beer in Mein Beirkeller I do declare Jeder Tag war ein Fest!

The mouthfeel is not a full as i had anticipated but it if rich and sticky. The carbonation subsides as it warms and adds just the right tickle to the tung.

The drinkability is surprisingly outstanding. Absolutely no offensive tastes or textures. At 5.4 ABV you could drink sere val. This is quite a n outstanding example
of a very unique and delicious beer style.

Zum wohl! MK

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

This beer poured an amber color with a smokey, black highlight. Not a lot of head, but what there was was just off-white.

Smelled of smoke, similar to Liquid-Smoke that is used in the kitchen. The smokiness really overwhelms any other aromas, but not in a bad way.

Taste was different, and is probably an acquired taste, but it was also intriguing. Along with the smoke was a definite beer flavor, with a hoppy, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel was moderately thick. with mild carbonation and a crisp aftertaste.

Overall this is an interesting beer. I don't think I'd like to drink a lot of this straight up, however I think the flavors in this beer will be excellent to cook with.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

This pours a clear dark brown with a small tan head that disappears quickly. The smell is a smoked wood BBQ aroma that makes your mouth water. The taste is a mesquite wood BBQ. This is like liquid babyback ribs. Malt and molasses are also in this beer. It's almost like a bbq sauce. The m/f is medium with the flavors all mixing well. A wonderful tasting and smelling beer for summer BBQ's. Bring on the ribs.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

This was the first (and only so far) smoked beer I have had. I love smoked food, BBQ, etc. so I thought I'd give it a try.

The appearance is nice, an auburn color. The smell was amazingly strong of smoke with just a bit of sweetness. Taste was also very smoky with a bit of malt. I thought it was interesting, but to me the smoke was just too dominant. Mouthfeel was decent, fairly medium body.

Overall I liked this beer fairly well. I'd recommend trying it at least once, and I'd love to have it again with some smoked baby-back ribs. Not something I'd want to enjoy over and over again, though.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured deep amber black with a small head that leaves a faint lacing.
Smells powerfully of bacon...smoked heaven.
Taste is immediately bacon and like a campfire....smokey, incredibly smooth, sweet, toasty, finishing with sweet malts then back to campfire smokiness.
Aftertaste lingers of campfire forever...FOREVER.
This is my first Rauchbier and to me it is unbelievably smokey and flavorful....too much so for my inexperienced pallette.
Will I have this again?
Oh, yeah.
I rated drinkability as 3.0 only because I'm too much a virgin to drink more of this tonight...but I will try it again and probably re-rate when my tongue grows up.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

I'd like to say thanks to mcallister for send me this small collection of smoked beers. This is my first one ever and I'm blown away. This Marzen pours a deep brown with a slightly off-white head. Lovely looking beer.

The aroma is nice and smokey. Reminds me of so many things I love like BBQing and Camping.

The taste is nice and malty with heavy smoke presence. The smoke aroma is intensified after you breathe out after the swallow. Simply amazing. This is a great style of beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I think this is a very drinkable beer even with the smokiness of it. I can see how others would disagree with me but if this is your style of beer--very drinkable.
The mouthfeel is

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A- pours a nice deep brown with mahogony highlights and a nice sized white head.

S- insane amounts of a smokey, leathery aroma that dominates the nose. an extremely unique and interesting aroma that becomes more and more pugent every time i smell.

T- the first sip is almost all the same smokiness that domintes the smell. The more i drink it, the less aparent the smoke flavor becomes and the more i can appreciate the subtle hop tingle on the tongue and the slight malt that balances it all out.

M- after the first sip, when the beer was cold, it felt a little thin. After the beer had time to warm up it has really nice full body that is silky smooth.

D- although the more i drink, the less dominate the smoke flavor becomes, i still dont think this is something i could make a night out of. It would definitely compliment the right food like no other beer though.

overall- ive been really anxious to try a rauchbier since i love the smoke flavors in beer. I was not dissapointed at all. However, i was dissapointed that i didnt pick up the other two versions of this beer. While this may not be everyones favorite beer, its definitely unique and something every beer lover should at least try.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla