Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
GradyS1

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

M-Pours a dark red amber brown, nice carbonation leave a small head that fades to lacing and sits nicely on top for a while. Translucent
S- smoky wood, oaky, wood oven pizza smoke. There is little bit of malt but this is all about the smoke
T- you can taste the malts upfront a little more tha the smell let's on but Stijl, smoke, barbecue
M- nice carbination, light body with a smooth finish

This is a good beer, great with wings, smokiness is almost overwhelming. Tasty treat but not an every day drinker

02-07-2011 00:40:37 | More by GradyS1
CuriousMonk

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a thin beige head, over a clear reddish brown black body. Aroma is primarily smoke, with a bit of grilled meat, and sweet malts. Taste initially is toffee, then balanced by smoke and then mild hop bitterness Mouthfeel is relatively light, carbonation low. Smoked beers are interestingly different from each other. This one is a campfire in a glass. Can't stay this is my style of beer.

01-31-2011 15:57:52 | More by CuriousMonk
flipper2gv

Quebec (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A: Very nice fully translucent brown color. Nice, big beige head with good retention and good lacing.

S: Obviously smoke is the main ingredient here. Really like wood smoke. Some light caramel malts and brown sugar. Toasted multi grain bread. Almonds are present with cashews. A little bit mineral and some herbal hops.

T: Well, this is not as smoky as what I expected, and I'm glad of it. There is a solid sweet and lightly burnt malt foundation giving off smells of caramel, molasses and toasted bread. Still quite nutty with the almonds and cashews. Mineral water fit the style pretty well. Light herbal hops at the end as expected.

M: medium feel with medium carbonation. Very creamy on the palate. What you'd expect.

D: Very easy to drink. Could go very well with barbecue food.

01-31-2011 02:05:56 | More by flipper2gv
Gavage

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: pours a drak brown color with a 2" off-white colored head. Some mild lace develops.

Smell: loads of smokey goodness and caramel are pleasant on the nose.

Taste: caramel, some ripe dark fruits, and a moderate and well balanced smokey flavor. Bitterness is moderate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness arriving late.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable beer that goes perfectly with BBQ. Easy to quaff this beer.

01-30-2011 20:05:19 | More by Gavage
bluejacket74

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500 ml bottle. Served in a mug, the beer pours a clear ruby red/brown color with a couple inch frothy off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. Aroma is mostly smoked meat/bacon, and some bready malt. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, it's mostly smoked meat and some roasted malt. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a little bit coating with decent carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it's very smooth and easy to drink. This is one of the better rauchbiers I've tried, and would definitely buy this again. I thought it was a pretty good brew, I loved the smokiness in both the taste and aroma.

01-29-2011 00:45:31 | More by bluejacket74
liamt07

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle from the LCBO, 500ml into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown/mahoghany, clear with a few fingers of eggshell head which leaves some good lace and moderate retention. Couldn't imagine how that could be improved, great look to it. Nose is smoked everything: ham, sausage and meats of all kinds. Barbecue-esque, with an underlying caramel sweetness of some sort to complement. Taste is smoke from the get-go, rich malts, barbecued and smoked meats on the palate are adequate but not extensive and overpowering. Smoke still in the finish, solid feel to it and I'd definitely have another. Can't wait for barbecue season to roll around, the pairings I'm coming up with as I drink this are driving me nuts.

01-28-2011 18:27:53 | More by liamt07
Intrinsic

Germany

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

You can almost hear the creaminess of this beer as it pours into your glass. The slightly dark one inch head bravely mimics the dark copper hue, and the large hexagonal bubbles lingering in the bottle are a sight to behold. This beer looks very appetizing.

One smell of this rauchbier and you­´ll understand why they call it that. The smell of smoked meats immediately brought me back to the corner Metzgerei in Germany.

My nose has not let me down. The sweet aroma of smoked meats easily translates into welcome flavours, with a perfect balance of malt and hops. A very well-rounded taste.

Contrary to what you would expect from the taste, the beer is slightly dry and light bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

Overall this is a wonderful beer on every level. The look, smell and taste all come together to make you feel right at home in Bavaria - even when you´re thousands of miles away.

01-26-2011 00:57:01 | More by Intrinsic
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer appears a mahogany brown hue with crimson highlights. The head is about an inch thick and leaves some good lacing on the glass.

S: The beer smells like a campfire, similar to an Islay scotch, but not nearly as boozy, of course. Scents include smoke, malt, peat, earth.

T: The flavor is fantastic, with a prominent smoke taste that is right on the money. Well balanced and delicious.

M: The feel is fairly thin bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

D: This brewery sets the bar for rauchbiers. When I have a hankering for a rauchbier, Schlenkerla brews are the first thing that comes to mind.

01-24-2011 04:17:11 | More by Huhzubendah
Takahiro

Netherlands

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

A: clear, ruby brown with an a almost white head.

S: smoky and leathery. reminds me of camp fire, and smoked ham. Smoke is dominating and almost intimidating at first.

T: nice maltiness that is very smooth and rounded. very clean finish. It's so much better than majority of lagers out there.

M: good body, smooth and very tender. very silky texture.

D: Highly drinkable.

Based on the smell, i was expecting more "in your face" smoky flavor, but was I WRONG. There is no smokiness at all in the flavor, and it is surprisingly very smooth and clean. a beautiful beer.

01-24-2011 01:20:04 | More by Takahiro
bucklemyshoe

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Notes from 09/15/2010:

500 mL bottle at 45 degrees into a 20 oz mug.

A: It pours a dark brown color with a half-finger of head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Strong smokiness, country ham, charcoal pit, and burnt bacon.

T: Some caramel and bread malt flavors, bacon, and campfire.

M: It has a medium body thickness and feels quite oily (like bacon grease). Gross.

D: I would like to do some food pairings with this but I don't really care for it by itself.

01-21-2011 15:45:21 | More by bucklemyshoe
spinrsx

2.88/5  rDev -28.7%

500ml Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a clear dark brown colour with a large size frothy light coloured head. I can't tell how much carbonation is there due to the darkness and there is some average lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - smoke, meat, earthy, malts, burnt nuts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and it feels somewhat creamy. I had a feeling I wouldn't like the taste but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways. I could taste smoke, malts and pepperoni.. yes, pepperoni. There were also notes of burnt wood/nuts and an earthiness. It finished with a malty/smoky aftertaste.

Drink - Well, I gave it a shot. This is definitely not the style of beer for me. I see that others have mentioned how well this beer compliments certain foods.. but to me, this beer is a food on its own. It actually tasted like meat. I tried to get through the bottle but unfortunately I had to drain pour. I even had to break out my last Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale just to cleanse my palette.

01-18-2011 16:59:34 | More by spinrsx
miketyree24

Kentucky

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

This was my frst rauchbier and i can say it will not be my last for it has opened new doors for me in the beer world.

Color was a rich and warm amber color. Very pleasing to look at.

Had decent head that stayed around had nice lacing.

The first smell you get from this beer is bacon. If you are unfamiliar with smoke beers as i was when i tried this it really throws you off guard. You then get the aromas of smoked woods and charcoals. I even got hints of dirt.

The really does taste like bacon and at first i struggled to get through it but quickly adjusted to the taste and it became a decent drink.

Has a great mouthfeel and nice carbonation. Just enough to let you know there it is there.

Overall for the style, excellent beer and would drink again.

01-13-2011 01:36:33 | More by miketyree24
LuthersLager

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Like drinking beef jerky.

So this beer pushed by beer reviewing philosophy. Does one review beers based on style or based on beer as an overarching beverage? My philosophy is to rate beers by style. In this case I'm not particularly fond of smoked beers, so I'd always rather reach for a good stout, porter or amber ale. But when comparing this beer to other smoked beers (like NABC's Cone Smoker) this beer is best in class.

I'm probably not going to add much to what others have said in their well written reviews. The smell and taste remind me of meat. Being a Michigan boy I recommend drinking this beer with venison on a cold winter day.

I have to think that drinking more than a pint of this beer in one sitting is difficult for anyone and the flavors are so powerful.

01-09-2011 22:11:49 | More by LuthersLager
rembrant

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Pours dark drown with ruby highlights and a 1 finger head

Aroma- Bacon and toast. Only is missing a fried egg

Taste Bacon

There's some lurking grain and malt but a VERY forward smokiness that's got a bacon quality...perhaps you could say sausage. Pretty over the top...yet it's tasty. Would go well with a lettuce and tomato sandwich Would be great on a campout where a campfire is not allowed. I can detect some bittering hops in the finish but that's minor.

Bacon in a bottle is what the main impression is,and the marvel is that it's really quite good though so much of it's basic beer qualities are left in the shadows.

Mouthfeel....I think my mouth is confused,thinks this is thick,oily,like a hunk of heavily smoked pork,rather than beer. I can't figure the viscosity and density in this...which strangely works. Drinkability....Maybe with enough eggs and hashbrowns I could do a long brunch,but as intense as this,I doubt many folks drink 2 a day unless they are from Bamberg and were weaned on it.

I am fond of Smoked beers. This one is a treat as a once in a while thing but too Bacon heavy for regular drinking....that and I like to find the BEER in my glass so going TOO Bacon or Coffee,or Grapefruit, or Bourbon,and losing the beerness,is not ideal

01-07-2011 05:30:56 | More by rembrant
jera1350

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Dark copper color with a creamy tan head adorning.

Smokey, meaty goodness. Bacon and smoked brisket fill the nose. There is a banana/fruit presence in the background.

Huge smoked bacon presence up front to go with the pleasant marzen bready malt taste in the background. It's like having a marzen with a smoked bacon sandwich. The smoke is not so overwhelming though, which is awesome.

Medium bodied, slightly chewy and very smooth with fluffy soft carbonation.

I am utterly shocked at how well this drinks. I will have zero problem finishing this bottle alone. The flavor is perfect and the smoke does not overwhelm at all. This is top notch for the style and easy to drink to boot. Great beer that everyone needs to try at least once.

01-06-2011 23:17:09 | More by jera1350
kwjd

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

I first had this in 2009 when I started to get into beer. I thought the smoke way way too much for me. I had split this bottle with a friend and I had issues getting through half the bottle. Now that I've had a ton more smokey beers, plus gotten into Islay scotches, I'll give this another go.

Pours a murky brown colour with hints of amber. Thick white head, with some nice lacing. Really nice head retention. Smells quite smokey, almost similar to the smoke from bacon, so any beer that reminds me of bacon is a plus. I believe the other stuff I'm smelling is similar to salty caramel. Flavour has some sweetness, but the aftertaste is quite smokey. Smooth carbonation level. I'm really enjoying this beer now.

01-05-2011 04:15:47 | More by kwjd
HalfFull

With a touch of trepidation I dive into this beer, yet it's an experience I've long known would come. Let's go I say, and with some ribs straight from the smoker for a backup plan.

Poured into a shaker glass from a half liter bottle, this brew pours a reddish brown in color, nice and clear, and with a half inch of off white soapy foam. Looks like any other Märzen and better than most given a solid head retention which keeps until the bottom of the glass.

Nose is smoky, and meaty, though surely not in a bacon sense. More like a salty stick of jerky as the smoked malts mix with other underlying malt notes to confuse the nose a bit. Some caramel is there as well. Letting the glass rest a bit mellows things out substantially until I stir it up again because I miss the smoke.

Flavor is less of a smack in the face with some caramel notes up front and some less dominant(vs. the smell) smoky notes sweeping across and lingering for some time, allowing you to savor(or not) this long after it's gone.

Malts, carbonation and smoky notes actually balance quite well on the finish, lending a solid feel. The sweet caramel of a Märzen seems like a good candidate for a Rauchbier, particularly for one who doesn't prefer the sweeter and thicker versions of the style.

Like a Chile Beer it seems to be all about the base beer used. This one is pretty good and it all works well. My trepidation was uncalled for. And with smoke notes on the nose diminishing with exposure, some hops emerge to keep things interesting.

Note: 5.1%

01-04-2011 04:34:17 | More by HalfFull
Lev

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Amazing beer, I have been dreaming of it for days... imagine if some gouda cheese got it on with a beer and had its love child, THIS would be that love child and i would want to drink it and wait for the cheese and beer to get it on again....

Seriously, if you ever have the opportunity to try this beer do not hesitate. Extremely tasty, amazing smell, and it even looks good to boot!

01-03-2011 23:16:49 | More by Lev
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

This pours a very dark brown with a thick head and lots of lacing. The first thing I noticed was the heavy smoked scent. I immediately got excited because I love that smell and I couldn't wait to taste how it would translate into a beer. I was not let down! There was a heavy, yet not overpowering (in my opinion) taste of smokiness. It blended well with the maltiness of the underlying beer and the hit of hops in the background. It isn't something I would drink every day, but I have had a couple since my first taste.

12-29-2010 05:56:00 | More by VWBuggirl
JaredWolgemuth

4.85/5  rDev +20%

Among the 6 other taste testers on the beer in my group, I was the only one that enjoyed it: and boy did I ever- ranked as one of my all time favorites it has an outstanding smell, the initial taste is an earth shaker. If you like smoky flavor- please don't die before you sample this. Outstanding from start to finish- I can't rain enough accolades on this gem.

12-25-2010 14:58:08 | More by JaredWolgemuth
robertfulwiler

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

This is one of the first rauchbiers that I tasted, and remains one of my favorite. Pours a dark ruby with low head retention. Smells like campfire with a subtle malt background. Tastes like bacon! Mouthfeel is perfectly smooth. Really one of my favorite German beers.

12-24-2010 20:25:41 | More by robertfulwiler
Fatehunter

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Poured into a tulip glass. Copper color, almost opaque. Nice inch and half of dirty-white head.

S - Well, as I poured it I could smell the smoke. It is like being at a campfire as only the embers are glowing with no flames. Amazing.

T - Smoky grain taste, light hop bitterness at the end. Very smooth flavor.

M - Soft, medium body, moderate carbonation. A little less carbonation would be nicer for me, but it does not hold the beer back at all.

D - Excellent. Easy to drink and hits the Rauchbier notes perfectly (it is the original apparently).

12-24-2010 02:23:08 | More by Fatehunter
rhollman

Nebraska

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance - Dark red amber

Smell - Wonderful beech wood smoke

Taste - Wonderful smoke flavor

Mouth Feel - Smooth malt mouth feel

Drinkability - Wow - the beech wood smoke is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, the Marzen beer style is too bland for me personally. I guess that is what makes this beer so awesome - wonderful beech wood smoke in a beer style that let's the smoke be the highlight.

12-24-2010 01:42:51 | More by rhollman
harrymel

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed 07/01/10
Poured from bottle to new belgium tulip.

A: Dark brown and deep ruby. No head. No visible bubbles. Excellent clarity.

S: Smells like a campfire. Very comforting and embodying of outdoors experience. I would argue, for the style, over smoked.

T: Super smokey. Great for pairing with sausage lunch. Would pair well with sauerkraut or other acidic foods. Mostly like liquid smoke.

M: When chilled, a bit awkward as the body is medium light with quite a dry finish. Much more enjoyable as the beer warms - the smoke is more appropriate as it warms.

D: Good beer for times when longing for the outdoors, childhood memories and for occassional novelty beer. Nice, nice beer. Not among the top of the smoke beers IMO. Although, having been to Geramany, the rauchbier's are much better there.

12-21-2010 06:41:11 | More by harrymel
alcstradamus

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%

Tasted alongside the urbock. Pours a deep brown with a finger of quickly dying head and wisps of lacing.

The aroma is pure campfire smoke. Waking up at 7 am after a night of drinking by the fire hair smell. Some coffee grinds in there as well.

The flavor is a bit lighter on the smokiness. Somewhat watery actually underneath the initial layer of smoke. Not as deep as the urbock and truthfully not really noteworthy. No "off" flavors at all which is a positive, but not really many "on" flavors either.

The body is medium and a bit watery. Carbonation is high but not stinging.

Overall this is a decent enough beer, but not one that I would really feel the desire to drink again.

12-15-2010 23:15:30 | More by alcstradamus