Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,059 | Hads: 2,115
3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Smokebeer? interesting name on the top label had me intrigued. Poured into a pilsener glass the head was white and lacked lacing but the color was a nice dark red to brown and filtered. Big Smoked jerky smell / malty/ bit of coffee/caramel porter type background. The taste was very new to me. This is the last of the 6 bottles I picked up recently and I've had the same feeling each time I gobbled one. The smoke flavour is nicely crafted and not too overbearing but it would be tough to drink more than one of these at any one time. I found it went nicely with some pepperoni sticks and sharp tilamook cheese w/ crackers.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It smells like beef jerky. I can't get enough of these beers! The taste is great as well. It has a deep, smokey flavor that's laid over pale and crystal malts. It goes down smooth with a dry lager yeast finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. I love the aroma and taste. I wish this style was more available; a good drinker.

4.14/5  rDev +2%

Served from the 500mL bottle into a pint glass. The color is a dark brown with the ruby red tinting, with a bubbly, wispy head leaving a bit of a lingering ring. The smell blasts out the smoky malt flavor, reminding me of a bottle of liquid smoke or a barbeque, and not much else in there. As strong as it smells though, the taste manages to be somewhat balanced...this is Schlenkerla, no doubt, so there is a strong robust smokiness, but there is a balancing bit of crystal malt caramel that keeps this beer from being too over-the-top. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, the strong smokiness just doesn't make it too much of a sessioner except in the right circumstances (barbeque, perhaps?)

Definitely, along with its brothers the Urbock and Weizen, the gold standard for the German rauchbier. There's no doubt as to the nature of this beer...smoke and lots of it, but it still manages to have a nice balance of sweetness. Quite nice, and one I will have again

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

appearance: pours a meddium brown. Most Marzen's i've seen are more reddish but this is brown. nice big head that holds.

smell: it smells like bacon. good pan fried bacon. I happen to love bacon so why not. 5 for style oviously you wouldn't want every beer like this but i just love this.

taste: smokey(duh). First taste is similar to smell, like burnt bacon. underneath it is a nice marzen sweetness. If you hold it to the roof of your mouth you more of the smoke taste. The marzen part is really good and smooth.

mouthfeel: nice real light, typical of marzens which run lite.

drinkability: so drinkalbe. First Raunch and i'm oh so ready for more(a trip to bamburg). wish i could find it easier and wish it wasn't 4.50 a pint bottle, but hey i will get this again( and try to bock) after a day of DIPA drinkng yesterday, this is so refreshing and easy to drink it's bringing a smile to my face. to me it wasn't hard to get into at al .... .. i loved the first sip!

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

This was my first-ever rauchbier. I had no idea what to expect when I opened the bottle. Poured a chocolate brown. A slight head bubbled up, disappearing after a few seconds. It smelled like a smokehouse, and had a slight taste of bacon. I'd imagine that this would be great with a quality piece of gouda cheese. Not something that I'd like to drink every day, but it's worth trying.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

appearance: deep and dark brown, rich tan head

smell: smoke, and lots of it. smoked meats, your clothes after a campfire

taste: smoked meat...that pretty much sums it up. one of the more pleasant smoked beers i have had though

mouthfeel: quite dry, smooth

drinkability: certainly easier than some other smoky brews

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

This Rauchbier pours a deep mahogany color, hints of red shine through the glass. A thick white head is on top of this brew, fades slow to a lace but never really fades.
The aroma is one of a kind. It reminds me of living in Germany (87-99). I would wake up in the morning to go and get fresh brochen from the baker for breakfast and the near by butcher would have his smokehouse going. A deep smokey tone, like in a smokehouse come to mind. A mild hint of malt is present but is quickly covered by the smoke.

Taste is the smoke, not too overwhelming but present. There is a malt presents midway through with a slight bitter finish and a smoky aftertaste. The finish is smooth on the palette. Drinkability is fare and hard to judge. I may get a bit burnt out (no pun) on the smoky flavor. I’m sure this beer goes great when paired up with the proper meal.

Had the chance to go to the brewery while stationed in Germany….man I whish I didn’t pass up that opportunity.
Cant wait to try the others from Aecht.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours out a deep brown, almost black, with a healthy tan-brown head of big bubbles that sticks to the side of my stange.

Smell is quite smoke-intensive, with a nice cured-meat scent in there as well. It reminds me of working in the smokehouse on my family farm when I was a teenager.

Flavor is malty with lots of smoke, peaty tastes, and the same smoked-meat flavor. There's a bit of caramel in there as well, but this being my first rauchbier, I really mostly taste the smokiness.

Mouthfeel is medium and complements the smoke character well.

Overall: Relatively drinkable and not so smoke-laden that the other characteristics of the brew didn't come out as it warmed a bit. I'm not sure the style is for me, but it's worth trying once.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

500ml bottle, served in Cafe de Wildeman

Pours with a deep dark brown body, hints of burgandy in there too. Big fluffy tall head, slightly foamy, but great retention

Smell, strong smokiness, cured meat, breasola. Some hint of malt in the background too

Taste, very drinkable, smooth but crisp meaty smoke, chorizo, smoked gouda, dark smoked meats adorn the flavour even some smokey bacon. Dry and malty also, oily finish

This was so tasty and drinkable, i wish i could get this back home as I could see myself drinking this on a regular basis

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

1pt. .09 fl oz. bottle
It poured an almost black color but was a actually a dark brownish color. The beer had a small amout of foam that disappeared quicky and left just a small amount of lacing in the glass. The beer had a strong aroma of smoked meats with a just hint of sweetness. The smell will surprize you if you never had a Rauchbier before. This is a beer that tastes like it smells. You get plenty of that smoked meat taste with a small amount of sweetness that goes down smooth. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some carbonation. You also will get a smoked meats aftertaste that lingers on after you drink it. This type of beer that is good for a once in a while treat, but not every day. This is a style of beer that every beer drinker should try for themselves.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a stein from a 1 pint 9 oz. brown bottle. Color is a very rich, dark brown. Head was an off-white cream color that quickly dissipates. I thought the appearance was okay, but nothing special. Ahhh, the smell. A delicious, smokiness with a totally unexpected sweetness to it. The taste was even better. The smoke taste of some rauchbiers could be overwhelming, but this beer had an excellent, smooth taste with some sweetness. Small hints of the hops come through as the beer warms. The beer was very pleasing on the palate and makes you want to take another sip. I typically would recommend a rauchbier as a change of pace or something different to try, but this one makes you want to have another. Very delicious and highly recommend.

I paired this with some smoked salmon and avocado over field greens with a chinese style dressing and it was very satisfying.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Produces a short lived off white or tan head when poured. Color is a dark mahogany with some tinges of red coming through.

The first thing that pops into my head upon inhaling the vapors of this beer is smoked salmon. Mmmm, that smoked malt smells delicious. No hops evident. Nuances of soy sauce and smoked woods are present, with a moderate sweetness coming through.

Carbonation is low to medium low, body is medium low.

Taste is, again, smoked salmon, and some smoked ham in there too. Also flavors of smoking woods, with some malt sweetness still showing through. Hops sneak in with a tiny hint of bitterness. There is something I love about the way this beer finishes so crisply, yet so flavorful at the same time.

A wonderful beer. The next time I have one of these, it will be paired with some home smoked meat.

I had this beer at the brewery in Bamberg on Friday June 17th, 2005. I had about 1.5 liters of it by the time dinner was over.

Appearance: Served in a stange type glass. Clear red/brown color with a tan head that is very sticky on the glass. Nice lacing left on the sides. The head is fluffy and lasts through the whole 0.5 L serving.

Smell: Very smoky and woody with a scent of bacon. It has all the lovely aromas of a butcher shop.

Taste: Roasty up front and very meaty. Some fruity esters among the maltiness. Light sweetness throughout and a sweet and smoky woodiness. A hint of sage and clove as well. When I say that this is meaty, I really mean it. It has the flavor of sausage and bacon and it is buttery and crisp at the end. The dry and earth smoke flavor lasts throughout the entire flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, dry, and clean. The aftertaste leaves a nice feeling on the palate. A bit sticky and still smokey.

Drinkability: This beer is just lovely. I suppose people either love or hate Rauchbiers. I love them. This beer alone made the confusing drive to Bamberg worth it. Excellent in all ways.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a lovely dark ruby red with a good two inch, rocky off-white head. The head lasts a good long while before finally settling into a creamy layer that lasts all the way down the glass.

Aroma is ham. That's it. Just ham. Smoked, candied ham, to be exact. Ah, wait.. there is a very, very faint hop aroma in here too, as well as a small bit of roses (?), but it's all but buried under the smoky candied ham smell.

With the aroma, you might expect this to taste like a smoke bomb. It doesn't. The taste is nowhere near as smoky as one might expect. There *is* smoke, mind you, just not as overwhelming as you may anticipate. Oddly, the ham is present in the taste, not just in the aroma. Were the beer saltier, I'd swear it was ham juice. As the beer warms, however, the ham taste and aroma disappear, leaving a nice malty sweetness that begins to smell more like barbecue sauce, believe it or not. The taste also takes on a little bbq sauce spiciness, especially in the finish. I can't taste any hops in here whatsoever. They have to be there, or else the beer would be cloying, and it most certainly isn't that sweet. The smoky, hammy, barbecue taste doesn't linger in the aftertaste. There's just the sweet malt and enough bitterness to keep the sweetness from being over the top.

The mouthfeel is rather on the light side, with no oiliness or filmy feeling one might get from smoked foods. Very clean.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer. I don't know that I'd order it if other favorites of mine were available, but within the style, well, this seems to be a very, very good rauchbier. AN excellent place to start if you want to explore the style.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Really one of the best looking beers I have ever seen. It pours a deep immensley dark brown to black. The head is formed of tiny, tiny bubbles. The head is light brown, creamy and has excellent retention and leaves a sheet on the glass.

Smell: Bacon, hickory smoked maybe. Smells sweet too. Like honey crusted. Man this is gonna be good.

Taste: similar to the smell. It tastes like beef jerkey. Very dominating flavor. Almost like sucking on a stick of wood. A little salty, and an unexpected but delicious hard to place flavor. I realize it tastes a little charred, a little like bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel: grainy and a little dry finish. I feel like I am actually with chewed meat in my mouth (an exaggeration to some degree but how I feel).

Drinkability: Not a style I could expect even existing, but oh so good. I'd definitely try another smoked beer, so it was an overall pleasant experience. Really I can't believe how much this beer tastes like meat. I had been told, but I didn't truly believe. Well this beer will definitely put hair on your chest.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

BB 24-6-05. This is how a rauchbier should be. Good presentation with yellowbrown head and darkdarkbrown beercolor. Nose is very smokey and with that maltycaramellic. Taste is as smokey as beer can be also and with that a fullness of taste. Sweetmalty, caramellic, citrussyfruity and roast all in one. After a while you think you were near a fireplase cause the smokey taste just stays forever. Great brew having also fine carbonation to make mouthfeel great and can't leave it by one so drinkability is also more then ok!

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Bought this to pair up with some Memorial Day weekend ribs and it sstood up pretty nicely.

Pours a deep red with an off white head with some staying power. Aroma is smoky but not quite as smoky as expected. A little note of sweet malt is present as well, but pork bbq definitely dominates the nose. Taste is nicely balanced with some sweetness melding well with the smoke. Although this is not a smoke bomb like Lafayette Brewing Co's Smokehouse Porter, it does hit the spot when you're craving that campfire taste.

Poured a Dark Ruby colow with just a touch of white head.

Smelled like a fresh smoked porkchop, Made me incredibly hungry.

Taste is suprisingly mild, A very smooth and suprisingly balanced mixture of Maltyness and that great Smoke flavored finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry with a medium amount of body to it.

Drinkability is very good, I had no trouble at all polishing off the 16ouncer in no time. Was very tasty paired with one of my favorite snacks - Triskets, Horseradish, and sharp chedder.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

As a smoker this beer was not that good. It looked like a dark beer, but lurking inside was smoked meat and sweet breads. Seriously, I had some smoked sweet breads down in Argentina and this beer reminded my of what they tasted like. It had a strong smoked smell of campfire clothes, odd but enticing. It had a bitter charcoal hit to it as well that was not pleasing and a little bracing. There is some underlying sweetness but you can only taste them after your buds are readjusted to the smoke. Not bad enjoyable at times but have some cheese or something to gnosh on to make it more enjoyable as I found out half way through the galss.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

The Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen pours from the elegant 500ml bottle a deep shimmering brown with red highlights that explode out of the glass when held up to the light. A creamy, bubbly bright off white head rises up with large bubbles in the mix. A huge, crisp smoky aroma wafts up into my nose and nearly makes me do a double take. Reminds me of smoked beef jerky, gouda and a dying campfire in the midst of summer. Underneath the smoke lies some caramel tones and a hint of nutty sweetness. An intriguing beer that keeps me coming back for another sniff.

The first sip of my first true Rauchbier brings a large dose of smokehouse flavor upfront. The smoke is prominent, however it doesn't overshadow the underlying nutty caramel tones that the brew has to offer. I get a hint of light fruit flavors on the way down. Truly a well crafted Rauchbier that has a sublte complexity that keeps me coming back for that next sip.

Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel flows over the palate so easily I almost forget I'm drinking it. An intensly drinkable brew that is refreshing and a nice change of pace. If you enjoy smoked beers this one should be on your list!

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

I had this one In the Delirium Café. First time I had one of these and it hasn’t let me down.
It was served to me in a Paulaner Weizen glass. The beer has a very nice misty caramel-amber colour and the head has a grey-brown colour. The head does stay but it is quite small.
It has a very soft dried smoked Schwarzwald ham smell.
And it tastes just the same basically. A very strong smoked and spiced ham taste with some bitter tones. The ham taste is so convincing that you would almost forget that is beer you are drinking and not ham you are eating.
The aftertaste is identical: salted bacon with tones of bitterness. It reminds me a little bit of a Guinness Draught on tap.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark, clear, coppery color, the perfect hue for a marzen, with abundant foam atop, creamy, and leaving lace. Beautiful looking glass of beer.
Aroma: bacon. Big malt, sweetness, but mostly smoke, cured ham, smoked salmon, memories of meat.
This continues into the taste, and joins the palate most pleasantly. Crowds the mouth with sensation. Juicy malt, a fine marzen lies underneath, and is treated well with the smoking.
Much milder than other rauchbiers, the smoke playing gently, it's at the fore, but never too much.
Medium bodied, but fully flavored, with a mild, malty finish. Tasty.
A remarkable experience, and unforgettable beer.

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

poured a nice ruby with light tan head that didn’t last to long, but did have some lacing. smokey aroma and flavor. finish mouthfeel got dryness that I didn't care for to much.I am not much into smoke flavor of anything. so I did not enjoy this beer that much

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

Dark brown in colour with a medium amount of carbonation. The aroma is a full on blast of malt and woodsmoke. The tastes are of smoked meats and grainy malts. The body is fairly full, and there's just the slightest amount of bitterness to keep things in check. Perhaps not to everyone's tastes, but I love this stuff. It's one of my regular purchases (or at least "will be", as I hear it is being de-listed by the liquor marts here in Manitoba).

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is really dark, with absolutely no light penetration. The smell is very original, almost like BBQ pork... The taste is the same way. I have never tried a beer like this, and it's amazing. It is almost like BBQ sauce with meat. You can tell the smoke that went into this beer. Thats about all I can say about the taste, its that if you have never had a Rauchbier before, this will be a real treat.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla