Microbrew Invitational

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,086 | Ratings: 2,200
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

This was my first-ever rauchbier. I had no idea what to expect when I opened the bottle. Poured a chocolate brown. A slight head bubbled up, disappearing after a few seconds. It smelled like a smokehouse, and had a slight taste of bacon. I'd imagine that this would be great with a quality piece of gouda cheese. Not something that I'd like to drink every day, but it's worth trying.

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

I thought I'd at least try this without reviewing, but I feel compelled after tasting. It looks like a decent dark beer, but the the description of the smell is not easily broken down into the choices given. It's anything but average, but to some I'm sure it's wonderful As aromas go, I'm sure this is a very good smell for smoked beers. It just happens to be my first and I'm a bit shocked.

The taste is that of the liquid at the bottom of the pan from when you've baked a nice, juicy smoked ham. I'm not sure if I'm appalled or intrigued. I keep trying it again to see if it really tastes as it does.

It's a non-offensive mouthfeel. It tastes like my hair smells when I've sat around a camp fire for hours.

Drinkability? I'll drink it. But I feel like I should be eating beef jerky, too. Maybe it would be nice with a full country breakfast.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Brauerei Heller-Trum is of course the worlds leading Rauchbier macher. This style originates there in Bamburg Germany and is an amazing brew for those of you who have never had it.

I've heard people say "It smells like a ham!" upon their first encounter. And I must say "they're right". As bad as that sounds, one soon realizes that the smell is powerful, but the smokey taste is much smoother than one would expect.

This smoked bier is original and delicious.

Don't miss it. I highly recommend it.

John

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Had on tap in their restaurant in Nürnberg.

Dark brown, clear liquid, with an offwhite fluffy head. Strong bacon smell, covering everything but a hint of woodsiness. The beef jerky taste just keeps coming. Upfront there is some bready maltiness, but then the jerky takes over and lingers in the finish. Very intriguing, but not as rich and balanced as their fastenbier.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

My first experience was an explosion of dark wheat colored, thick foam all over - a mess. The color was a beautiful mahogany amber with cola highlights. The smell was VERY dominate smoked or even burnt wood aroma, maybe cedar with a slight chocolate accent and other potent spices. The taste was the same as the smell. Mouthfeel - deep medium-bodied and smooth. Drinkability - It was real good, but the smokiness was a little overpowering.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer pours a redish brown with an beige colored head. There was good lacing on the glass. The aroma had a great smoky, earthy smell to it. The taste was again smoky and almost tastes like some variation of smoked bacon with a sweet malt background to it. The mouthfeel was just what it should be. The strong smokey flavor would make it difficult for me to drink very many of these in one sitting.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Ordered this on tap at Nocturnem Draft Haus in Bangor, Maine. A giant pour arrived in a tall glass handled mug as big as my head, and perfect for this October afternoon.

Rich dark chestnut brown, but not totally opaque. An off-white loose two finger head settled quickly. Lots of smoke and wood in the nose. Smells like bacon & smoked meats. The taste is more smoke and bacon. Liquid barbecue. This tastes delicious, but is just a little too watery for me. Something doesn't seem quite right. It might just be that I'm not used to the style. I love the nose, and the flavor, but it's not 100% satisfying.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel, with a decent medium carbonation.

Could be my senses aren't ready for these flavors in a beverage. But in reviewing the style, I think it's a top notch representation. Lots of Smoke & Wood, and not much else.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

I picked up a few of these when I was in Toronto after trying one at Beer Bistro. Its deep brown with ruby tints. Nice creamy beige head that is quite dense.
Aroma of black licorice and smoked dried sausage. Makes me think of Polish sausages hanging from my Mom's kitchen cuboards. One of the most unique, memorable aromas of any beer I have experienced.

Head gives way to a thin layer leaving lacing from the receded head but no lacing as you drink the beer.

Taste is pleasant, but disapointing. After the look and the aroma its kind of a letdown. Malty but a hint of burnt malt - i guess thats the idea of smoking the malt. I can't really detect the tastes that I am smelling. Really doesn't wow me. Very mild hop presence and a bit of a salty aftertaste.

Thin mouthfeel, just washes around in your mouth - i was hoping for big and beefy, but at least it makes for good drinkablity, this could be a session beer.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

01/13/2010
1 pt. 0.9 oz bottle poured into 0.3L stange.

A: Poured slowly into the stange and a good deal of frothy head still rushed to the top. Pours a rich, clear copper. Really nice color.

S: Smoked pork and spices, but it's not so overpowering that your nostrils go haywire.

T: The smell is a pretty good indicator of how this beer tastes, but unlike the Weizen version, this is really pleasant. Definitely more complex, since you can actually pick up on the barley malts after the first wave of smoke dissipates.

M: A little thinner than I expected, but the smokiness doesn't stick to your tongue for very long, which is a plus.

D: Not too big a fan of drinking rachbiers on their own, but this is one I actually like without food. Will try again.

As it stands, I'm cooking pulled-pork sandwiches tonight, so I'm adding some of this to the cooking pot to spice it up.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: 4.25
Dark brown semi-opaque body with white-brown head 1-2'.

Smell: 4.25
Rich campfire smoke with background of toffee and roasted malt and slightly earth Noble hops.

Taste: 4
Initially, a dry, nutty malt with slight sweetness later in taste. Smooth smokiness with notes almost akin hickey smokiness of bacon. Mid to late, increasing mild to moderate bitterness becomes detectable via hops. Finishes with a slight mild malt presence and a thin coating of roast/smoke on palate.

Mouthfeel: 3.5
Slight thinness to body with mild carbonation. Almost English ale'ish in mouthfell.

Overall: 4.25
Great dynamic beer with strong smoke notes, but manages to still be balanced and drinkable. Pairs well with food, esp BBQ.
Recommend to try.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Great beer! Brown color, mid-sized off-white head. Aroma of smoked ham and malt. Taste is similar to aroma with smoked wood notes. Medium body and carbonation. Moderate bitterness in smoked and roasted aftertaste

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

While wandering the aisles of his 'happy place', Bucky spotted a German smokebeer, and never having sampled this style picked up a bottle. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier ("ASR") came in a brown 500 ml bottle with a best before date of October 2013 stamped on the reverse label, and was 5.1% alcohol by volume. ASR is produced by Brauerei Heller in Bamberg, Germany. A little historical beer trivia for you...the roots of the word Schlenkerla in the beer's name lie in the Frankish vernacular, in which "schlenkern" is an expression for walking not straight.

ASR poured an attractive chestnut brown colour with a large, slightly off-white head that lasted for several minutes before fading to a 1/8" cap of foam, leaving some modest lacing and spotting down the glass. Its aroma was strong and made up of wood smoke and back bacon. The beer's flavour was distinct but somewhat more subtle than its aroma, beginning, continuing and ending with wood smoke, with a mild bitterness noticeable at the finish. Both the smokiness and slight bitterness continued as a long lasting aftertaste. I found the carbonation to be quite moderate but well suited to the beer, and would describe ASR as medium bodied. Though I was a bit nervous at the start due to past experience with a couple of overpowering smoky beers, this was a refreshing change of pace. Not a style that I would drink every week, but a bit of a flashback to a bygone age when all malt for brewing in Germany was dried over a wood fire, and quite reasonably priced at $3.15 per bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a bottle into a glass

A- Coca-cola brown with a nice creamy head that settled to a 1/4 inch

S-Smoke scent is very dominant in this one but I thought I picked up a sweeter scent perhaps a maple or plum scent.

T-Not too much here just an overwhelming smoke smell when you drink this.

M/D-This has a bite on the front and after that it goes down smooth. The smoke scent is something that for me is too overwhelming. I would like to try the other brands before giving up on this one.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

I could smell the smoke from two feet away.

Pours a clear rich dark brown. Thick 1-inch white foamy head that dissipates quickly to ¼ inch. Some lacing.

Smells of smoked sausage, a strong smell. Some malt.

A smooth smoky taste, some hop bitterness, but not overpowering. A hint of creaminess up front, lightly toasted malt behind the smoke. Finish is smoke and hops, with a bitter hop aftertaste that lingers.

Mouthfeel is creaminess, medium body even though it looks rich. Some carbonation hits the back of my throat.

I remember this beer being awesome from the gravity feed barrels at the brewery in Bamberg. I still enjoy it, but needs to be paired with some robust food.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

A-pours a dark copper with a big very light tan head
S-a nice smokyness with a bit of a smoked meat qualitty wih a nice bonfireness about it very interesting
T-the smoked meat becomes much more prevalant along with some malt (which i thought was lacking in itsbrother weizen)but styill has a nice strong smokeyness that still isn't over the top
M-medium body with no carbonation which gives it a smooth smokeyness to it
D-a good beer but the style is not among may favorite and while it good to enjoy one on occasion there no way i could drink this all night

1.12/5  rDev -72.4%

I have never tried a beer that I couldn't finish. My brother is the same. Well, yesterday we tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and neither of us could drink it.

What an experience! I must admit I am not a big fan of smoked food and I realize that this beer is probably an acquired taste but I will give Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen credit for initiating a lesson in recognizing excessive hubris on my part. I generally pride myself in my ability to eat or drink things that would make a billygoat sick but this stuff slapped me hard and put me in my place.

We did, however, put the beer to good use as a marinade for our barbecued chicken. Now that I can handle.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

what better to start off a nice superbowl superstitious party then with some smokey beers hopefully the giants will smoke the patriots then this omen will be very appropriate

wow poured with a crazy rocky head on the beer who said lager beer can't have a wicked head on the top? this beer looks like a crafted ale not a lager by any means

whoa talk about bacon in the aroma...meaty and full of smoke and floral hops and dare i say a little bit of sourness almost a vinegar type quality?

taste outstanding reallly rich layers of complex malt on top of delicate smoke in the beginning then intense phenolic smoke coming on on the end really a nice elevation there

mouthfeel rich without being cloying wow perfect bubbles

overall almost a perfect beer for the style i guess when you make rauchbier this long you really can get it down but wow what a fantastic beer

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

The Rauchbier style is an old German beer style, its origins go back to the 1500's and to the district of Franconia and the town of Bamberg. It's typically of dark colour and has similarities of the Oktoberfestbier. Green malts are literally dried over an open fire of beech wood, imparting a unique smokiness ("rauch" is German for smoke), the usage of which produces beers of an acquired taste. Imagine a smokiness so robust, so assertive, that it tastes of spiced, smoked meat.

Well, this has to be my first smoke beer from Germany or anywhere by that matter. When I pop the top on this beast I actually smell smoked beer, dying to try it now because my mouth is watering. Let me taste it now.
Ok thats different so where's the ham and chesse?
This would defintely fit in with ham and chesse group.

The pour, Huge head but didn't last long, bummer.

This says a pint and 9 oz. good becuse the last ber was 11.2 oz.

Dark but you can see through it with light.

I need to look up what Marzen means.

Brewed back in the 1500's, hmm don't really get into them much.
Well it's thick and chewy so I like that but something is throwing it off for me.
The days would have to be colder for me to enjoy this one more.
So if you like meat really bad you will like this one.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

0.5L glass served from barrel on the bar at Schlenkerla - my first visit to Bamberg.
Smoky bacon aroma from fresh light brown head that leaves light lacing.
Cola brown color.
Deep smoked wood jerky taste but smooth and cool on the pallate.
A amazing challenge that fans of stouts and porters will enjoy.
Thoroughly enjoyed with the Hausgemachte Schlenkerla bratwurste (possibly the best I have ever tasted in Germany yet) und Frankissch Dampfkraut (they season it with bay leaves and cloves!).

I really didin't think I could drink this smoked stuff but when consumed in the context of this ancient restuarant in this really neat medieval town, I was hooked.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

I purchased this bottle in Bamberg after visiting the brewery. Pours a dark ruby red with big clingy head. Smoke aroama is very present but not offensive. After a few swigs one becomes acostemed to the smoke and you can tell this a very good marzen. Nicely balanced malt falvor with a hop bitterness. I had this beer with some smoked salmon and it was fantastic. Very easy drinking and pure joy to consume.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

A: dark brown with bright white head. minimal head fades quickly, leaving some lace, but not enough, bah..

S: bbq. seriously, the touch of sweet, slightly smoky maltiness reminds me of a mix between bbq chicken and a nicely done pot roast. my first rauchbier so tough to judge much, but approximately what i was expecting, and pretty good.

T: again little experience to go on, but wish i had more.. well balanced, nice maltiness up front, touch of caramel and breadiness balancing the middle-finish touch of smoky bbq, finishing dry and fairly crisp really, with some touch of hoppy bitter just on the after-taste. leaves the bit of sweet bbq in the mouth just a bit, while staying crisp.

M: pretty chewy, thick and smooth. good amount of carbonation just to make it crisp enough

D: again, i know i'll have to come back to this once i've tried more rauchs, but definitely tasty and sessionable. going great with my extra sharp cheddar mac and cheese.

Purchased this at Wine And Spirits Shoppe At Bradley Park in Columbus, Georgia. Beer is dark amber in color. It smells very smoky with a little malt in the nose. Wow it tastes very good. The taste is less smoky than the aroma. It is well balanced and fine tasting. A surprise to say the least. I would never have believed a smoke beer could be so fun to drink. Very diverse.

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a burnt brown color with a modest white head.

The aroma is an intense meaty smoky smell.

This is tasty. The smoke is very rich in the flavor. There is an iron flavor that combined with the smoke makes me think of beef jerkey as another reviewer said. The flavors are all in balance. Finishes with little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy.

I am really happy that my friend put this in my cart at the beer store. This is a fantastic brew. I love BBQ and think this would pair fantastically with some good slow smoked BBQ pork ribs. But the beer tastes like a meal in itself though too. I wish they carried this at Dinosaur BBQ. I will definitely seek out more beers of this style.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a deep, ruby brown; slightly opaque, though not cloudy. About a finger of reddish-tan, foamy head which soon dissipates to a thin ring and leaves spotty lacing.

S: Loads of beech smoke in the nose, but with lots of subtleties: scents of bonfires, bacon, smoked ham, and general undertones of charcuterie. Understated Helles and Munich malts come through, with some roasted malt notes.

T: More or less follows the nose. Beech smoke and bacon up front, mingling with slightly sweet, slightly bready Helles and toasted malts; although rich as expected from a Maerzen, the malt definitely follows and complements the predominant smoke flavours. Hints of noble hops come through in the finish, actually doing quite a bit to round out the taste profile.

M: Medium-bodied with medium carbonation; initially crisp followed by smoothness. The finish is fairly clean, leaving a gentle but persistent, bitter aftertaste of ash, black coffee, and floral hops.

D: It's hard to gauge how easy this is to drink. On one hand, it's a bit of an acquired taste as is usual for the style; on the other, it's superbly balanced with a nuanced flavour profile. With that said, it's unquestionably worth buying if only for the experience, and an excellent Rauchbier altogether.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

This pours a very dark brown with a thick head and lots of lacing. The first thing I noticed was the heavy smoked scent. I immediately got excited because I love that smell and I couldn't wait to taste how it would translate into a beer. I was not let down! There was a heavy, yet not overpowering (in my opinion) taste of smokiness. It blended well with the maltiness of the underlying beer and the hit of hops in the background. It isn't something I would drink every day, but I have had a couple since my first taste.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla