Join our email list →

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Rauchbier | 5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,063 | Hads: 2,147
1.12/5  rDev -72.4%

I have never tried a beer that I couldn't finish. My brother is the same. Well, yesterday we tried Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and neither of us could drink it.

What an experience! I must admit I am not a big fan of smoked food and I realize that this beer is probably an acquired taste but I will give Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen credit for initiating a lesson in recognizing excessive hubris on my part. I generally pride myself in my ability to eat or drink things that would make a billygoat sick but this stuff slapped me hard and put me in my place.

We did, however, put the beer to good use as a marinade for our barbecued chicken. Now that I can handle.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

what better to start off a nice superbowl superstitious party then with some smokey beers hopefully the giants will smoke the patriots then this omen will be very appropriate

wow poured with a crazy rocky head on the beer who said lager beer can't have a wicked head on the top? this beer looks like a crafted ale not a lager by any means

whoa talk about bacon in the aroma...meaty and full of smoke and floral hops and dare i say a little bit of sourness almost a vinegar type quality?

taste outstanding reallly rich layers of complex malt on top of delicate smoke in the beginning then intense phenolic smoke coming on on the end really a nice elevation there

mouthfeel rich without being cloying wow perfect bubbles

overall almost a perfect beer for the style i guess when you make rauchbier this long you really can get it down but wow what a fantastic beer

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

The Rauchbier style is an old German beer style, its origins go back to the 1500's and to the district of Franconia and the town of Bamberg. It's typically of dark colour and has similarities of the Oktoberfestbier. Green malts are literally dried over an open fire of beech wood, imparting a unique smokiness ("rauch" is German for smoke), the usage of which produces beers of an acquired taste. Imagine a smokiness so robust, so assertive, that it tastes of spiced, smoked meat.

Well, this has to be my first smoke beer from Germany or anywhere by that matter. When I pop the top on this beast I actually smell smoked beer, dying to try it now because my mouth is watering. Let me taste it now.
Ok thats different so where's the ham and chesse?
This would defintely fit in with ham and chesse group.

The pour, Huge head but didn't last long, bummer.

This says a pint and 9 oz. good becuse the last ber was 11.2 oz.

Dark but you can see through it with light.

I need to look up what Marzen means.

Brewed back in the 1500's, hmm don't really get into them much.
Well it's thick and chewy so I like that but something is throwing it off for me.
The days would have to be colder for me to enjoy this one more.
So if you like meat really bad you will like this one.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

0.5L glass served from barrel on the bar at Schlenkerla - my first visit to Bamberg.
Smoky bacon aroma from fresh light brown head that leaves light lacing.
Cola brown color.
Deep smoked wood jerky taste but smooth and cool on the pallate.
A amazing challenge that fans of stouts and porters will enjoy.
Thoroughly enjoyed with the Hausgemachte Schlenkerla bratwurste (possibly the best I have ever tasted in Germany yet) und Frankissch Dampfkraut (they season it with bay leaves and cloves!).

I really didin't think I could drink this smoked stuff but when consumed in the context of this ancient restuarant in this really neat medieval town, I was hooked.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

I purchased this bottle in Bamberg after visiting the brewery. Pours a dark ruby red with big clingy head. Smoke aroama is very present but not offensive. After a few swigs one becomes acostemed to the smoke and you can tell this a very good marzen. Nicely balanced malt falvor with a hop bitterness. I had this beer with some smoked salmon and it was fantastic. Very easy drinking and pure joy to consume.

Purchased this at Wine And Spirits Shoppe At Bradley Park in Columbus, Georgia. Beer is dark amber in color. It smells very smoky with a little malt in the nose. Wow it tastes very good. The taste is less smoky than the aroma. It is well balanced and fine tasting. A surprise to say the least. I would never have believed a smoke beer could be so fun to drink. Very diverse.

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a burnt brown color with a modest white head.

The aroma is an intense meaty smoky smell.

This is tasty. The smoke is very rich in the flavor. There is an iron flavor that combined with the smoke makes me think of beef jerkey as another reviewer said. The flavors are all in balance. Finishes with little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy.

I am really happy that my friend put this in my cart at the beer store. This is a fantastic brew. I love BBQ and think this would pair fantastically with some good slow smoked BBQ pork ribs. But the beer tastes like a meal in itself though too. I wish they carried this at Dinosaur BBQ. I will definitely seek out more beers of this style.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

A: dark brown with bright white head. minimal head fades quickly, leaving some lace, but not enough, bah..

S: bbq. seriously, the touch of sweet, slightly smoky maltiness reminds me of a mix between bbq chicken and a nicely done pot roast. my first rauchbier so tough to judge much, but approximately what i was expecting, and pretty good.

T: again little experience to go on, but wish i had more.. well balanced, nice maltiness up front, touch of caramel and breadiness balancing the middle-finish touch of smoky bbq, finishing dry and fairly crisp really, with some touch of hoppy bitter just on the after-taste. leaves the bit of sweet bbq in the mouth just a bit, while staying crisp.

M: pretty chewy, thick and smooth. good amount of carbonation just to make it crisp enough

D: again, i know i'll have to come back to this once i've tried more rauchs, but definitely tasty and sessionable. going great with my extra sharp cheddar mac and cheese.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a deep, ruby brown; slightly opaque, though not cloudy. About a finger of reddish-tan, foamy head which soon dissipates to a thin ring and leaves spotty lacing.

S: Loads of beech smoke in the nose, but with lots of subtleties: scents of bonfires, bacon, smoked ham, and general undertones of charcuterie. Understated Helles and Munich malts come through, with some roasted malt notes.

T: More or less follows the nose. Beech smoke and bacon up front, mingling with slightly sweet, slightly bready Helles and toasted malts; although rich as expected from a Maerzen, the malt definitely follows and complements the predominant smoke flavours. Hints of noble hops come through in the finish, actually doing quite a bit to round out the taste profile.

M: Medium-bodied with medium carbonation; initially crisp followed by smoothness. The finish is fairly clean, leaving a gentle but persistent, bitter aftertaste of ash, black coffee, and floral hops.

D: It's hard to gauge how easy this is to drink. On one hand, it's a bit of an acquired taste as is usual for the style; on the other, it's superbly balanced with a nuanced flavour profile. With that said, it's unquestionably worth buying if only for the experience, and an excellent Rauchbier altogether.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

This pours a very dark brown with a thick head and lots of lacing. The first thing I noticed was the heavy smoked scent. I immediately got excited because I love that smell and I couldn't wait to taste how it would translate into a beer. I was not let down! There was a heavy, yet not overpowering (in my opinion) taste of smokiness. It blended well with the maltiness of the underlying beer and the hit of hops in the background. It isn't something I would drink every day, but I have had a couple since my first taste.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I agree with LongBeachBum's review below... this is a wonderful example of a Rauchbier, and if you love smoky tastes and creamy mouthfeel, this one will please you. If you don't appreciate a little experimentation in your beers, stay away.

All in all, I thought the nice hickory aroma was very appetizing, and it followed that the taste may be predominantly smoky. But, after a few sips, I could definitely make out the roasted malts as well as a bit of hop character. A very well balanced brew that is great for a few pints, but after that, you will probably want to move on to something else. That's not a knock, but rather, this is a specialty beer which really isn't intended for sessioning. :)

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Had this awesome Rauch with Teaser in Sydney at the Lowenbrau Keller. Actually went to the bar for Rauchenfelser, but they had this instead.

Poured a dark russet mahogany into the Lowenbrau 1/2Ltr glass, with a dense off white slighty brownish head, that dissipated quickly.

Aromas of smoke, bacon, dark malts, a slight roastyness, and a faint fruit character, coming back to that awesome smoked meat and campfire aroma... yummy.

The flavour was a little dissapointing compared to the smell. Sure, it was very smokey, with a rich malty almost caramel character to it, but just not what I was expecting. Had a nice lingering malt and smoke flavour, with the smoke dominating, very easy drinking. Sadly, not as good as Rauchenfelser. On the funny side, the bar manager came out to see if we were enjoying our meals, sees that Tease is drinking the Rauch, and says something like "Wow, you're brave, a very strong flavoured beer, I'm not too keen on it myself", but with more of a German accent.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

A --- Dark red, mahogany, slight head

S --- Bring on the ribs! Wonderful smoked malts that take me straight to the BBQ

T --- Smooth smokey taste. I'm also picking up a little something at the end that's a hint of sweetness --- fig or maybe brown sugar.

M --- surprisingly light in body, low carbonation, but very smooth.

O -- Excellent! Rauchbiers are my new kick and I look forward to enjoying this one often with spicy foods.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Dark brown with a rim of light brown foam.

S: VERY smoky (well, it should be!), with a little sweetness.

T: More smoke, almost overpowering at times. A dark, malty taste reminiscent of other marzens.

M: Very little carbonation.

D: Excellent for sipping. The taste is too strong for more than one.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Schlenkerla RauchBier
Smoked Lager
ABV 5.1%

L= 4.5 Deep mahogany brown with a brown 2 finger foamy head.

S= 4.5 There is a ton of things going on with the nose here. There is BBQ on a hot day, charcoal and even hints of lighter fluid! Amazing

T= 4.0 Malty sweetness like a dobblebock up front that leads into smoke, flame, and charcoal

F= 4.5 Surprising light to medium bodied. From the nose you would think that this beer is going to be huge but thank god the flavors back down from the nose.

D= 4.0 (non-session) I could drink this beer next to a campfire all night. The best of its style thus far along my smoked beer journey. It has everything that a smoked beer should have. A true must try for those who have not tried it before.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen:

Deep garnet pour with virtually no head…not what I expected. Sweet smoky nose. A mild smoky flavor hovers over a nice malty sweetness. I really like this, and I think it would be a good introduction for anyone new to the style (unlike it’s big brother Urbock). No lacing but who cares…very drinkable and I find myself just staring into it’s smoky abyss and contemplating it’s layers of flavor. This brew is a nice surprise and I suspect I will find it in my cellar on a regular basis. Highly recommended.

Cheers…

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a tall tumbler.

Nearly opaque chocolatey body with a thin off-white head settling into what looks like a map of Pangea on the surface. I admittedly just grabbed this around Oktoberfest because I wanted to have a few Marzens around. Just getting around to drinking it now and realized on pouring that it's a Rauchbier.

Smells like smoke with a hint of sweet brandy. Seriously smokey though, like someone poured some liquid smoke seasoning in it.

Wow. Really, really interesting. Again, so smokey that you think you're bringing some scotch to your lips, then...surprise it's more like an easy drinking porter.

Medium bodied and clean finishing other than the lingering smoke breath.

Full disclosure...I mentioned I bought this among a few other Marzens around Oktoberfest, but this one was still around only because it just looked like something I wouldn't really like. So it's safe to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the aroma and flavor. Would go great with any smoky gouda, sausage or grilled meat.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours out a nice dark ruby with slight reddish tint. Nice

No head at all can be conceived, but a slight lacing appears as warming.

Aroma of smoke, with beef, malt, fruit, and citrus

Flavors of smoke, malt, roast beef, slight hint of wheat that is overwhelmed with smoke, also with some fruit and citrus in the after taste.

Mouthfeel is some what weak, light on the carbonation, low body.

Overall this would go good with some smoke cheese and some beef. Unless you like smoke beers, this is a try beer.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Pours deep reddish ruby copper, 1 in tan head with a sticky lace.

S - SMOKEY, there is a hickory, roasted character, I dare say almost like baked beans, this is different.

T - Evenmore smokey, I could imagine roasted malts on a wooden plank to enrich the smokey hickory flavors. Little noticable hops, sweet molasses and bean flavors. Flavors become more pronouced closer to room temp.

M - Med bodied, low carbontation, seems thick for a Marzen, extremely smooth.

D - Very special and different would go great with a BBQ, but would not pick this beer to drink one after the other.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer is exceptionally beautiful to pour. It's a dark mahogany with ruby tints and a pillowy off-white head which lasts throughout most of the beer. The smell is fantastic, predominated by smoke-cured meats, caramel and a faint hint of graininess. The taste is very good. Smoke-cured meats predominates but is not overpowering. Also present are caramel and toasted grains with a hint of sweet maltiness. This is a very well crafted rauchbier. The mouthfeel is spot-on, but drinkability, well, it "is what it is". I prefer this beer solo without food and when I drink it, one is enough.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clear dark brown and topped with a sheet of pure white foam. Plenty of carbonation can be seen rising to the surface.

S: Smells like ham and smoky bar b'que sauce. underneath that specialty malt can be discerned. A truly complex nose.

T: The smoke hits the palate first but the taste is also quite complex. Underneath the smoke you get notes of caramel, and after that a nice hop bitterness comes into play. My only complaint is that the flavors seemed a little restrained.

M: Surprisingly light and crisp the Marzen side of this beer is most evident here.

O: A really solid brew I will be getting this again!

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

While wandering the aisles of his 'happy place', Bucky spotted a German smokebeer, and never having sampled this style picked up a bottle. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier ("ASR") came in a brown 500 ml bottle with a best before date of October 2013 stamped on the reverse label, and was 5.1% alcohol by volume. ASR is produced by Brauerei Heller in Bamberg, Germany. A little historical beer trivia for you...the roots of the word Schlenkerla in the beer's name lie in the Frankish vernacular, in which "schlenkern" is an expression for walking not straight.

ASR poured an attractive chestnut brown colour with a large, slightly off-white head that lasted for several minutes before fading to a 1/8" cap of foam, leaving some modest lacing and spotting down the glass. Its aroma was strong and made up of wood smoke and back bacon. The beer's flavour was distinct but somewhat more subtle than its aroma, beginning, continuing and ending with wood smoke, with a mild bitterness noticeable at the finish. Both the smokiness and slight bitterness continued as a long lasting aftertaste. I found the carbonation to be quite moderate but well suited to the beer, and would describe ASR as medium bodied. Though I was a bit nervous at the start due to past experience with a couple of overpowering smoky beers, this was a refreshing change of pace. Not a style that I would drink every week, but a bit of a flashback to a bygone age when all malt for brewing in Germany was dried over a wood fire, and quite reasonably priced at $3.15 per bottle.

Pours a dark amber color, nice head that lasted for just a few seconds with very little lacing.

Scent is smokey with rich dark malts.

Taste follows the nose smokey malty. It reminds me of the smoked sausages I grilled the other day. Meaty is a good way to describe this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied smooth and a bit too much carbination.

Drinkability is good. The expense is more than I would have expected so it puts this one a bit less drinkable for me.

Interesting to say the least, and this beer exceeded my expectations. That's the reason for the high rating, cause I really don't like rouchbier.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a large wine glass.

A - Dark brown with a medium amount of white head.

S - It smells like pulled pork without sauce on it. Bacon. Smoked cheese.

T - Minor taste of smoked meat in comparison to the smell, but it actually has marzen taste beyond the light smoke

M - It wasn't particularly carbonated. Easy to drink for such a weird beer.

O - Something done very well that I really enjoyed. Totally unique and I would love to try more. It is not something you'd likely session, but it tastes delicious.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a copper dark brown clear color, with a quick tan head. Smells like mesquite chips. This is a great german beer that would go well with BBQ ribs or smoked turkey legs. Good smoked meaty smell. If you don't like the smell, go no further. I on the other hand love a good smoked meat, the taste of this beer did not let me down. Sweet, mesquite wood flavor. Slightly coffee aftertaste. Somewhat watery in texture, I thought it would be more like a stout. Makes me think of camping or burning leaves. Wouldn't just drink this beer alone. This is definetly a food beer. I hope this one or one similar is at the next german food tasting that I attend.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla