Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 07-11-2001

ABV may vary slightly year to year.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen Alström Bros
4.74/5  rDev +17.3%

This has to be the most fascinating things i've ever had. Being the first Rauchbier i've had, i'm very very fascinated. This looks good, dark brown with a nice amount of lacing. Smell is like, campfire. With hints of a smoked sausage, totally delicious. Taste is absolutely phenomenal. This would go so so well with a side of summer sausage. carbonation is just right and delivers the aromas just perfectly. Drinkability is pretty good, but for some the aftertaste might be a bit too much. Personally this ranks among the best i've ever tasted. Very unique and quite flavorful. I'm getting some of these next time I have a barbecue.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

3.44/5  rDev -14.9%

I do not like the smell from start, it smells like smoked kielbasa. I like kielbasa but this smell burned my nose hairs. I love Marzen beer but the smoked effect is not my style. I still recognize this beer is a clasic for the smoked type, that's why I gave it a curved score. It is smooth and goes down easy and the finish is also good, but that smell get's to me.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

2.83/5  rDev -30%

Wow. Being a fan of American smoked porters, I was excited to try a rauchbier. I don't think anything could have prepared me for this one, save a bottle of KC Masterpiece. The beer pours a transparent dark brown/red color with a thin white head. Good retention and lacing. The smell is pure smoked hickory, jerky, and anything else you would find at a barbecue pit.

Unfortunately the taste is the same. It is straight-up smoked meat, hickory, and barbecue sauce. I tried very hard to decipher "beer" qualities (like hops or malt) and just couldn't find them. I'm sorry to say I had a very difficult time even finishing this beer. The taste is that pungent. But I do understand what this beer is trying to accomplish, and appreciate its uniqueness, which is why I didn't slam its score. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp.

If you know what you're getting into, love barbecued food (enough to drink it), or want a completely new beer experience, try this rauchbier. Personally it was a little too much for me to handle, and has probably made me gun shy toward other rauchbiers out there. I'll stick to the American smoked.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.08/5  rDev +1%

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance- Darker brown though still transparent enough to see through, thin quickly disappearing white head, light carbonation

Smell- Lots of smoke and faint smells of malts trying to kick through as best they can

Taste- Smoked campfire taste matching the smell, slight maltiness, as smoke fades you pick up bit of malts and even tad of hops on the finish, THIS IS A LONG FINISHING BEER,

Mouthfeel- Smooth lingering feeling

Drinkability- I imagine this could be a good sipping beer paired with the proper foods, not something personal I could see drinking often or alot but definitely and interesting try

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Second or third rauchbier I've had and this is the first German, therefore I assume more traditional. It pours an opaque brown near black with some ruby red coloring. Tan head leaves occasional lacing.

Smells of smoke and caramel almost syrupy. Although the smoke smell is at the forefront it remains gentle and enjoyable. Far from overdone or fake like liquid smoke.

Smokey taste surrounds gentle malts and sweet caramel flavors. Its fairly dry and the hops are there, but not a feature of this brew. Hints of grain peak through as well. Creamy mouthfeel, which seems oddly pleasing paired with the smoke taste.

This is a great representationn of a smoke flavor in its proper place that enhances a beer's flavor rather than act as a cheap gimmick. Would pair well with some salmon, but would have difficulty holding up against most BBQ sauces. Definetly worth a try especially if you've never given a rauchbier a go.

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%

Look, this is the my first of the style, and if this beer is supposedly as good as others say it is, it will be my last. It pours a nice color with a medium head and very good lacing. The smell is all smoke--so much so that I can barely taste the "bacon" and "meat" that others rave about. But then again, if I wanted to smell meat, I would buy meat. The taste, in my [maybe naïve and unsophisticated}opinion is drowned out by smokiness. Some reviewers have congratulated this beer for its complexity and for the smoke flavor for being nuanced, but what I find is smokiness that has gotten out of control. I love a beer with some character, and there's nothing more attractive than a beer that compliments both a campfire and a steak at the same time. But this just seems to go too far and in the process loses the complexity that some are convinced that it has.

4.2/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into a pint glass.

color appears to be a lighter brown, but when held to a light reveals itself to be a deep, deep garnet. a standard pour gets me a pinky of tan head that calms to a thin film. no lace in this one.

smells strongly of campfire with herbal notes and maybe just a bit of coffee.

taste is much more refined and complex than i was expecting. starts off with a nutty and carmely malt sweetness, then comes right in with the smoked malt. herbal hop character is present with a bit of spiciness, and the bitterness hangs on tongue for a short while before fading back into smoke. very well balanced.

feel is on the lighter side of medium with enough carbonation to lend a pleasing smoothness to the beer. seems to me that the lightness helps to mellow out the flavors a bit.

very drinkable and goes down smooth. this is a well constructed beer that is true to style. i'm not normally into smoke flavors in my beer, but i would definitely buy this again.

2.83/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- Reddish brown appearance almost raison prune like. Slight clearness, head dissipates quickly, little carbonation.
S- Very Smokey, hints of caramel and bacon as well as wood.
T- Very unusual, first smoked beer I've tried. Very Smokey, like eating bacon. Hints of sweetness as well.
M- Medium mouth feel, light carbonation.
O- Overall it was not very enjoyable to drink at least for me. Felt like I was drinking bacon juice.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Mahogany colored body. Fairly clear with some carbonation and fine particulate floating around. Head is just off white and finished with small pockets of bubbles on top.

Aroma is strong with smoke, oak and campfire. A bit of caramel and dark fruity sweetness blend in with some toasted notes. Nicely smoked overall and a fairly strong aroma. It really opened up my sinuses.

Taste is like barbecue smoke and smoked butt, really meaty in the main part of the flavor. Has a touch of sweetness inititally and then the smokiness hits. Finishes smooth with a touch of bitterness. Nicely flavored. Much more smoke that I remember in the Urbock and this hits the spot for what I was looking for in that brew.

Mouthfeel is medium to full. Not as heavy as its sister beer. Drinkability is excellent. The lighter mouthfeel and meaty smoke flavor makes this one unique and highly quaffable. I really like this, just don't know how often I'll pick it up. I've been sitting on this one for a while.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

My first rauchbier and I'm not ashamed to say I'm a little intimidated. Lets give 'er a go.
Pours a deep, clear mahogany with beautiful ruby red highlights. Two finger light tan, rocky head with some nice retention. No sings of carbonation. Small amount of light, delicate, patchy lacing.
Pulled pork, ham, bacon, and smokey fireword upfront in the nose with a hint of sweet malt. Mouthwatering. Reminds me of the small BBQ restaurants in Kentucky where all of these smells are in the air.
Taste somewhat subdued comapared to the smell. Smoked pork, bacon and ham upfront followed by a very sublte hint of fruit. Dry, smokey finish with a touch of buttery malts.
Clean, dry and well balanced. Highly drinkable.

Overall, a remarkable brew. Very happy I picked this one up. The smoked meats in the nose really get the salivary glands going. Nothing overpowering and very well balanced. Paired this with some cheddar cheese and man was that ever good. It would be interesting having another rauchbier and compare the two, but unfortunately, this is the only one available in my area, atleast for the time being. Don't be intimidated by the fact that this is a smoked beer. Highly recommended.

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%

Dated: N/A
From LCBO, 500ml

G: Chalice

A: Dark opaque red body with one finger of off white head. Head dissipates rather quickly, but leaves decent lacing.

S: Strong aromas of hickory, raw bacon and burnt wood. This is not something you'd want to smell everyday in a drink, but it doesn't scream breakfast.

T: Follows the aromas quite well but not as strong. Smoked hickory and bacon dominate this brew. I get some sweet maltiness in the back too. I was expecting it to taste strong, but I'm glad it didn't because that would be overkill.

M: Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Silky smooth in the mouth and leaves a dry-smoky aftertaste.

D: I wouldn't be able to drink this unless I'm in the mood for it. As a breakfast beer paired with the obvious bacon I could see this being even better. All in all, it tastes good and if you like or want to try out a smoked beer this is the one.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla