Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Watermelon Ale - The Phoenix Ale Brewery

None found.

2.69/5  rDev -18.2%

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.85/5  rDev +17%

Not my usual style. Fruit and wheat. However, it was 99 cents at work and its from AZ so I had to give it a try. Seems like a good mid-afternoon brew for the hot 105 degree day. Nose is bready, yeasty and slightly sweet. Theres a fruity scent but I can't really identify it as watermelon. It is very effervescent, which helps the refreshing flavor. It tastes bready, very much like any other wheat ale. The fruit flavor is much more mellow than I expected, its just a very slight sweetness. Again I have trouble placing the flavor as watermelon. Its good if you're into wheat ales, I mean I have had much worse. It just isn't my style. Kinda the opposite actually. For example when I bought this I also bought a Firestone Walker Wookie Jack unfiltered black rye IPA. This was just for the experience. It is a good refresher though.

Did not enjoy this. No watermelon flavor at all.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

3.24/5  rDev -1.5%

3.86/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first ever watermelon ale I have tried. It has a wonderful aroma obviously of watermelon with a bit of watermelon rind in the taste. This beer is unique, and it pours a shiny yellowish color with a decent amount of lace and head. The taste is a little underwhelming compared to the smell and is slightly bitter with a sharp aftertaste. Not too bad, it's more of a novelty, but not bad at all.

4.43/5  rDev +34.7%

I have the priveledge of working 2 blocks from the brewery. They have a bar inside. You are literally sitting in the middle of a warehouse at the bartop amid the fermenters and plumbing. A unique experience. i have tried this brew on tap and from bottles.

There is something unique and highly attractive about this ale. Perhaps it's unique flavor and drinkability. Something about it brings me back to it over and over.

The appearance is similar to a lager with a bit of copper and pours with plenty of carbonation releasing up the glass but the head is eggshell white and lingers in waning patches on the surface.

The smell is unique. It is a transportation to new realms especially with eyes closed. I get notes of snow peas and blueberry with a slight clove note. The mind searches for the watermelon note but is not noticable. The nose is a touch sweeter on-tap with maybe a trace of watermelon.

Upon first sip you will notice that there is indeed a hint of watermelon but not the candy flavor rendition of it (I have my suspicions that the watermelon seeds are also used). The true slightly earthy and floral taste is backnoted with berries. The taste is light like that of a light beer with a touch of the yeast coming through. This is both in the bottled and tap variety. Trace malts and hops come through.

Carbonation is medium and the feel is light like a lager atthough it could be enjoyed at room temperature or ice cold.

My suggestion is to try it if you ever have the chance. It's not an infused beer and reveals it's complexity to those wanting to try an artist's rendition of new-age brewing.

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance: This fruit wheat beer has a nice hazy, straw yellow color. When poured it has a nice white head.

Smell: This has a nice, light watermelon smell. I could pick up on the fruity watermelon smell right away but not over powering by any stretch of the imagination. Has a slight tart smell to it as well. Great smelling, light beer.

Taste: Has a great watermelon flavor with a little wheat like taste in the back ground. Goes down way to easy. On a hot summer day in phoenix these will really be hitting the spot. Taste slightly like a watermelon jolly rancher but way lighter in the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation. Had the perfect amount of carbonation to deliver that nice watermelon flavor and stay light on the palate.

Overall: I have to say this a is winner. We need more sessionable beers like this in az. I am a sucker for fruit beers but also am somewhat picky. I don't want something very sweet but something that delivers great fruit flavor without being overpowered which is what this beer comes threw in spades on. Will be drinking this summer 2012 in AZ.

3.52/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A hazy warm amber color in the Duvel tulip. Handsome fine-grained foam with nice lacing. Funny smell. Overripe fruit, but I wouldn't say it smells like melon. Pleasant sudsiness with a substantial mouthfeel.

This tastes more like a Hefeweizen than an American Wheat. Quite rich and fruity, with flavors that remind me more of blackberries. Rather tart. Some dark flavors of earthy hops. Brewer says hops are Nuggets and rated 20 IBU. Slight bitter aftertaste. From the 12 oz bottle bought at AJ's Fine Foods in Chandler. Some sediment in the bottom.

2.62/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Watermelon is one of my favorite everyday fruits, however my experience with watermelon beer is very limited. With a warm climate like Phoenix, it sounds like a refreshing concept, though this one-man journey won't reach a verdict under after my review. From a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

A quick pour out of the bottle into a glass yields a hazy yellow-orange colored beer with carbonation bubbles which are just visible in the glass. A half-inch of head rests on top and retains well on top. I want to like the aroma, but I can't. The nose has a soft watermelon note, though it's more resemblant to such note found in sugar-free gum. Underneath that is a mediocre, slightly sweet wheat beer base.

I'm not wild about the flavor. Again, the watermelon note tastes like the watermelon flavored gum that I chew from time to time. Nothing special going on behind the scenes either. The best things I can say is that the beer doesn't have any major off-flavors and the beer is reasonably quick and easy to drink.

Not much going on inside Watermelon Ale. Its taste is not exciting, though technically it does fit the bill as a refreshing concept with its drinkability.

2.5/5  rDev -24%

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

4.5/5  rDev +36.8%

3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a hazy and clearly unfiltered copper gold. Foam rises up quickly but quickly dissipates leaving hardly any head at all.

Smell is interesting in that I don't pick up as much watermelon as I anticipated (although it is still there). Seems a little muddled though and I pick up some other scent I can't quite pin point.

Taste is very mild, light, and clean. Pick up hints of watermelon, some sweetness, a little wheat.

Very drinkable brew here not too sweet, I actually wish it had a little bit more watermelon flavor. A little watery but just makes it easy to knock back a few of these on a hot summer day...or really any day here in Arizona.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast