Sinebrychoff Porter - Oy Sinebrychoff Ab

Baltic Porter |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-12-2002

Reviews by BeerResearcher:
4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Sinebrychoff, or Koff as it is called in Finland makes a variety of beer styles, but in this researcher's opinion, only their Porter really stands out as a true "craft" brew. This "vintage" Baltic Porter ages very well, when cellaring at around 55°F. The flavors and aromas change ever-so-gradually. You can expect this brew to last 6 to 8 years. In the past, silly governing bodies of the Finnish state, regulated the brewing industry. They generally frowned upon interesting or varietal styles. Fortunately, brewers and beer lovers across the country have developed an awareness and developed lobbying groups to help promote a wide variety of Finnish brews. This Baltic style Porter, although it had long ago passed muster with state regulators, is a prime example of a beer crafted with care, attention to detail and love. The color is like strong, dark coffee. Lovely aromas of chocolate malt, smoke, coffee and dark rum vie for attention. The full and rich body envelopes flavors of coffee, rye, dark chocolate and a bit of licorice. An abundance of sharp-edged fresh hops, citrus bitterness and hint of spices provide a lively bite. It's slightly smoky with an essence of pine in the background. This powerfully flavored brew has a bit of an alcohol kick, yet it remains very drinkable. I highly recommend this wonderful example of the Baltic Porter style!
Kiipis! (Cheers!) (1,382 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Brewers Since 1819".

Okay, here is where I may get my ass kicked. I have been holding off on this bad boy since I have met my match with him before, albeit not in many years.

I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle so I was gentle in my pour. OMFG, it pours like heavy-weight motor oil! No head and just wisps as a result. Color was deep-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. I put my snout into the glass and inhaled and was met by an unparalleled booziness. I was transported back to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, while Stosh was still alive and in ownership. We would drink Baltic Porters and smoke dark cigars, like Parodis and maduros and shoot the shit, a publican and a barfly. Back to the present. I took another sniff and got Dark Chocolate pudding. I was reminded of Vanilla Snak Paks the other day and this was reminiscent of Dark Chocolate Snak Paks. I got a little in my mouth and it was exactly like pudding! It was thick, viscous, kind of sweet, and definitely full of fusel alcohol heat! I may need to lay down after this one. Carbonation was so low as to be almost non-existent. Warming, I began to note charcoal smoke, anise, dark chocolate, tar and still, the unrelenting heat. Phew! This was no playing around. I am sure that it is much more appropriate during the Winter months, especially up in Finland, but I just did not feel like waiting that long. Haluan vierailee Suomessa ja mene jääkiekko peli! This Finnish beer was fin(n)ishing me and it was only the middle of the afternoon! The Finnish fin(n)ish was dry. Duh! I felt like I had been caught in the solar plexus. My breath was taken. This was a big, brawling monster which was determined to send me back to my corner to throw in the towel. I am too stupid to lie down, though, which is how I won many of my fights in the Navy. I would be half dead, but by outlasting my opponent, I would win on points. You don't think that I became this good looking naturally, do you? I reloaded and raised a toast in a northeasterly direction, towards this beast's country of origin. I was rendered nearly insensate and I suddenly remembered Nietzsche's warning that "when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." I was engaged in advanced navel gazing at this point. Tentacles began to come forth from my navel and I shook hands before wrestling with them, finally resorting to knives to cut them from whence they came. Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him? Yaaah! I called my mouthpiece for his learned advice at this point and he advised me to drink more of the same. I love having Jimmy Keaveney on retainer. Suddenly, my glass was empty, no longer marked "Drink me!" and I was back in my bed with Auntie Em looking down at me, asking why I was wearing a gingham dress and ruby slippers while now sporting a long beard. Say, how long was I with this one?!? Where did I go? This is not my beautiful wife! Well, how did I get here?!? (3,137 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

BOTTLE: Brown glass. Pry-off black crown cap. 33cl.

7.20% ABV. U.S. importer is B. United International. Swedish importer is Carlsberg. Best before: 06/02/2016.

Served cold into a mason jar in Kuopio, Finland. Expectations are high; I've had this before. Reviewed live as a Baltic porter.

HEAD: ~3.5 inches wide. Gorgeous khaki-tan colour. Creamy as hell, with a lovely soft complexion and an even, smooth consistency. Retention is superb or the ABV - ~10 minutes. Leaves light even lacing on the sides of the glass as it recedes.

BODY: Opaque ink-black. No yeast is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. An inviting appearance for a Baltic porter. I'm excited to try it.

AROMA: Cocoa dust, dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, hints of faint dark fruit (mainly dates and fig), dark fruitcake, some raisin. Suggests a sticky tasty full-bodied porter.

Aromatic intensity is above average. I can't wait to try it.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Viscous and sticky, with a full body and high thickness. Has a heavy weighty presence on the palate, supporting its robust flavour profile. Quite malty, with heavy schwarz malts, chocolate malts, and dark malts lending a lot of sweetness on the palate. Molasses contributes to the strong malt backbone. Hop presence is minimal (to style). Hints of dark fruit - particularly raisin - are present. Baker's chocolate. Mild cream.

Well-carbonated, a biteen syrupy, smooth, wet, and unrefreshing. Warming but not irritating alcohol presence. The stickiness and weight of the mouthfeel nicely complements the flavour profile. This is a well-put together balanced beer, but does have shortcomings inasmuch as intricacy and subtlety are concerned.

OVERALL: A solid Baltic porter with plenty of likable attributes. Easily one of the best beers in Finland, and absolutely in the upper tier of traditional beers in the style. Very drinkable, albeit filling. Hides its ABV well.

B (3.67) (1,911 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

330 ml bottle into snifter, best before 11/4/2013. Pours pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense brown head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness. Incredible aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit notes; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness. Fair amount of roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit flavors; with a nice roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very smooth, creamy, and lightly slick/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an incredible Baltic porter. All around awesome complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit flavors; and very smooth to drink. A highly enjoyable offering. (1,452 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Very black appearance with creamy tan head,smelled sweet an coffeeish.Taste was oily,somewhat woody with some sweetness in there.High alcohol content was very apparent as it warmed,something good to drink on a cold night before bed good for that Baltic style. (259 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance – Almost black in color with a slight purple hue. The head was modest but tanned and very strong.

Smell – This one has a huge nose. The winey malts are monstrous, causing my nostrils to flare and my salivary glands to, well, salivate. The prunes especially are big here, although many other dark fruits such as figs, dates, and cherries are also present. These are all soaked in alcohol and smell very juicy.

Taste – The flavors here have all melded together wonderfully having sat in the bottle for seven years. The fruits are luscious and captivating, bringing alive the very back of the palate. The malt base is complimented with a fine but delicate flavor of coffee. I can also catch a whisp of coca at the very end.

Mouthfeel – Undeniably smooth and balanced. This medium-bodied Porter is sticky sweet, and the alcohol tinge has to be one of the easiest I’ve ever experienced.

Drinkability – I feel like a king drinking this ale, and will savor it for the rest of the night.

Comments – This was a Vintage 1997 that held nicely for the six or seven years that it was in the bottle. A big, appreciative BA THANX to Jason (dare I call him “J-Bro”) for sending this one out my way. (1,217 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

1997 Vintage – Huge vinous and oak aromas pound their way out of this old but solid brew. Mouthfeel is surprisingly heavy, especially when compared side-by-side with a 2004 vintage (as I am doing). Taste is dominated by molasses, thick, sugary coffee, and blended prunes. Mildly earthy too. Drinkability is as good as it can be with a Baltic Porter. Appearance is a dark, slightly clouded mahogany-walnut blend. (412 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Best by: June 27, 03-oops! Pours a very deep, dark black, but there's maybe a touch of ruby if hold the glass right. Smells of chocolate covered raisins. Taste is very similar to smell, with a nice roasty bitterness. The only thing about this beer that I don't like is that one's enough.

***
98 vintage:

Pours a very dark ink black. Smells a little funky, like an alcoholic prune juice, which you'd think would be unpleasant but isn't. Tastes...old. It's the oldest beer I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but there's not much carbonation, and the mouthfeel's rather thin. It tastes of raisin, with a dark roasty quality.

This was quite interesting, although I'm not sure the bottle was worth it (four bucks!). Nevertheless, it's fun to drink a really old beer and see how well it's aged (or not). This one seems to have held up well. (868 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Unknown vintage. Pours into my glass a deep brooding black like a cave with dark brown edges and a half inch of creamy tan head that slowly turns into bubbles. Aromas start with deep roasted malts with lots of chocolate accents, licorice, burnt toast and ribbons of caramel as well. Notes of fig, molasses and dark fruit. Really robust.

First sip brings a bold roasted malt flavor upfront moving into chocolate, molasses, caramel and light coffee. Hints of toffee, licorice, fig and burnt toast all get in the mix. Quite a wild ride of flavors across the palate here. It moves from slightly sweet to a nicely placed bitter kick on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and easy drinking. This is a damn fine baltic porter that really hits the spot. Just a solid offering that I will have to pick up a few more bottles of now. Worth checking out for sure. (865 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

’98 Vintage. This is beer 100 on my personal list so I thought it was time to have something special.

Absolute pitch black in color with a quickly disappearing chocolate milk colored head. Aroma is of ripe dark fruits with a nice combination of toasted and patent malts. There is a subtle alcohol nose. The taste is quite complex. The main components are the toasted malts which have subtle hints of coffee. The flavor finishes slightly chocolaty. There is also a nice ripe fruit essence which compliments the other flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a slight oily character. It coats the mouth well and leaves a pleasant finish lingering around. This is damn good. That’s all I can say. I could easily down a couple of these and enjoy every sip of it. (765 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at Pepperland Cafe. The beer was an opaque black with a thick milk chocolate head and a bit of lacing. It had a mostly coffee aroma, but there was also some sweet dark fruit. Tasted primarily of espresso, but the bitterness of the coffee was nicely balanced by the dark fruit. A very enjoyable beer. (306 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Best before E93565L. Uhh...okay...
Notes from Oct 2010.

A modest pour yields a good two fingers of creamy brown head over a pitch black liquid.

Smell has some chocolate malts up front with some dried dark fruits (raisins and figs, maybe some plum). Smell is good but pretty subtle overall.

Taste starts off with some great dark chocolate, followed by roasted, almost charred, malts on the finish. A bit smoky with some subtle dark fruits thrown in.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Creamy, slightly oily medium mouthfeel.

This is a great porter and up there with my favorites (like Founders). I would definitely buy this more often if it were a bit cheaper. (653 characters)

Can you say malted? This beer tasted like malted milk balls, and even had a touch of chocolate. Despite it being a robust porter, this was a very smooth and drinkable beer. Skoal to Finland for making this lovely stuff.

This sample came in a much larger bottle than past vintage years, and actually didn't display a vintage on the label. (340 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Presentation: 11.2 oz short brown bottle with a black foiling over the cap. 1996 denoted as the vintage date.

Appearance: Pitch black with a thin yet sticky tan lace larger bubbles amass to the center.

Smell: Mild lactic acidic twang in the aroma, hints of smoky woody charcoal and unsweetened chocolate in the nose also as well as over ripened prunes.

Taste: Full in body with a semi slick malt mouth feel. Carbonation is light and only adds a minimal crispness, vague acidic flavour of lactic which stays mostly front to middle and fades. Rich and complex dark malt flavour dictate orders to the taste buds, first prune fruitiness followed by a twang of chocolate malt / espresso flavour and slowly switching over to a faded charcoal character. Alcohol is noticeable though has mellowed of the years. Touch of carob and dark chocolate in the mix too. Pinch of residual sweetness and flights of chocolate in the finish.

Notes: A most excellent brew, god like qualities. A hard to find beer and few like this are made in the Baltic Porter Style. A “treat your self” brew and worth every penny of the $3 spent on this one. (1,135 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Pour opaque brown with a big brow head that lasts forever. Aroma is on the light side, but roast, prunes, and dark chocolate are noticable. Too drink it is like drinking carbonated chocolate milk. Quite smooth with subtle carbonation.
Malt sweetness and hop bitterness are balance very well. (292 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%

11.2 oz bottle pours an opaque dark brown with a three finger tan head that seems to last forever, and leaves patches of sheet lacing all over the glass. Very nice looking. Aroma is disappointing, with not much on the nose but some chocolate and light smoke. Mouthfeel is creamy, but has a light texture. Taste just doesn't seem to emerge until room temperature. Cocoa, a hint of coffee, light smokiness, and a slightly dry finish. Very smooth, and alcohol is well concealed, but this one will sneak up on you with its superb drinkability. I was disappointed in this one, as it doesn't measure up against others of the style. (625 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle. Nice dark pour, tiny bubble head, tan in color. Leaving moderate lacing. Nose of coffee and burnt malt and fruit. Full bodied, creamy mouthfeel, some chalky dryness and stickness. Notes of chocolate, malt, coffee, toffee, plums, figs, raisins and a nice finish note of vanilla. Very taste brew. Seek out this Finish nectar. (337 characters)

Bottle from Bukowski's in Boston.

This was my second porter of the night.

Pitch black in color with a stick tan head. Malty, chocolately smell and taste. Smooth body and extremely satisfying. Enjoyed every sip and glad I gave it a try. I've never been a fan of porters, but I'm quickly becoming one. Malt is good. (320 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got this as a single at Union Jack's on the Mnantawny. I drank it in a goblet. On the label it says "Best Before", but then there's no date. The bottle looks like it has been a returnable in its past, with wear marks around the edges.

Pours an almost totally opaque black with just a hint of brown showing through at the edges. A very nice head of tan foam forms on top, falls to a coating and a ring, with very good lacing.

Aroma is strong dark malts, licorice, burnt chocolate, over-ripe fruits like dates and figs, maybe faint piney hops way in the background. Smells inviting.

First flavor is dark roasted malts, not coffee like, but dark chocolate. Licorice is also present, as well as flavors of dark brown sugar, fruits like above, and some alcohol. These flavors all blend together nicely. Residual sweetness is fairly high, and hop character is low, although there is some bitterness. Overall, this is very well balanced. Aftertaste is sweet, dark, fruity, and a little warm.

Mouthfeel is pretty damn smooth and creamy, with a gentle zing from carbonation. Body is pretty full, and the finish is long and warm.

This is a damn good Baltic Porter. It has porter qualities, like chocolate and fruits, as opposed to coffee like, like a stout. Mouthfeel is really nice, hops are low, and alcohol warmth is there. A winner by all standards. (Well mine, anyway!). (1,385 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Bright black – like looking into the abyss topped with a clingy, sudsy tan form cap that sits atop the abyss and persists.
S: Dark grains but not quite coffee and chocolate is also muted. This is more like dark dried fruit.
T: Molasses, grains, oatmeal, dark dried fruit, fig, something caramelly, a touch of wine and dark cake. A lot of dark sugar action on the palate dominates and softens any hint of roast.
F: Very creamy soft in the mouth with medium to medium full body and medium low carbonation.
O: Interesting and somewhat unique but very drinkable and enjoyable. (581 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Shoe polish black with medium head. Terrific aroma of bitter chocolate, big toasty malts. Somewhat abrasive on the tongue, but manages to be velvety too, in the manner of porters. Big roasted malt flavor, traces of coffee, grains and herbs. Very light hoppiness, some bitterness a la bitter chocolate, but majority of flavor is sweet. A beer that is both daunting and tempting. I am guessing this sample is old, since flavors are mellowed, muted, almost shimmering. Nothing prototypically Finnish except perhaps a very light trace of liquorice. Alcohol is notable but not overpowering, and finish is not too lasting. A classic. (627 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Black onyx colored and opaque with a light brown head that doesn't rise up much at all.

Low aroma of cocoa and marshmallow.

Flavors of cocoa, smoke, oak, charred bark, burnt molasses, espresso, leather, tobacco, licorice, plum, and brandy notes. Very rich and complex. Cocoa seems to dominate, and the rest of the flavors move evenly in and out.

Even mouthfeel, full and round, but also slightly tannic, finishing crisp.

Very drinkable, slow and easy sipper. I wish I had a maduro cigar. (491 characters)

Sinebrychoff Porter from Oy Sinebrychoff Ab