Sinebrychoff Porter - Oy Sinebrychoff Ab

Sinebrychoff PorterSinebrychoff Porter

Oy Sinebrychoff Ab visit their website
Finland

Baltic Porter |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Reviews by NearerMyBeerToMe:
NearerMyBeerToMe

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cap comes off with a loud, rushing pop. No wonder this pours with a nice inch-and-a-half-deep head of miniscule, dark tan bubbles. Beer is black--not black hole black, but matte black. Head clings foamily and laces well. Gah, it really clings! in keeping with the sluggish viscosity of the brew. Aromas of carbonized chocolate, burned Milk Duds, cigar ash. Finishes with a touch of sulfur--not eggy sulfur, but matchstick sulfur. Polished nosefeel seems on the light side in body... I wanted it to lay it on me heavier. For an instant, the sweetness of over-dried prune skins hovers at the tip of the tongue, before plunging into oily poppyseed depths. Charred wood, coffee grounds, and raw cocoa float around in the gloom. Finishes with smoldering hop stalks, hash resin, and residual carbons in a surprisingly even aftertaste. Slightly greasy mouthfeel with no detectable carbonation seems to gain sludginess as it decends from mouth to belly. Drinkability is better than I expected; I could semi-gulp this despite the heavy flavor, but it would probably kick my ass in due fashion. Don't forget this beer on your next trip to the tundra.

11-11-2004 02:06:28 | More by NearerMyBeerToMe
tjdrewry

Connecticut

07-25-2014 23:52:09 | More by tjdrewry
patre_tim

China

3.16/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown to black with perhaps an amber fraction of a faction of a hair near the edge of the glass under a bright light, 5 fingers of dark beige chocolate milk head with a slight amber tinge. Thick lacing.

S: Cocoa, good boozy quality, chocolate, syrupy liqueur like quality, licorice, light tar.

T: A solid sweetness, a heavy rusty quality, licorice, burnt toast, molasses, any alcohol is hidden. Brown sugar.

M: Thick and syrupy, little carbonation.

O: Got this one at Grapevine in Lakeland, FL. A sign said it’s a Baltic Porter from Finland, so it got me interested as I’ve only had a few in this style, and perhaps its my first from this country. Not the best I've had of the style, but glad to have found it, especially one from so close to the Baltic. . Drank in Pensacola, FL July 24, 2014.

07-25-2014 03:09:48 | More by patre_tim
Florya

Norway

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

07-22-2014 16:13:33 | More by Florya
woodychandler

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Brewers Since 1819".

Okay, here is where I may get my ass kicked. I have been holding off on this bad boy since I have met my match with him before, albeit not in many years.

I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle so I was gentle in my pour. OMFG, it pours like heavy-weight motor oil! No head and just wisps as a result. Color was deep-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. I put my snout into the glass and inhaled and was met by an unparalleled booziness. I was transported back to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, while Stosh was still alive and in ownership. We would drink Baltic Porters and smoke dark cigars, like Parodis and maduros and shoot the shit, a publican and a barfly. Back to the present. I took another sniff and got Dark Chocolate pudding. I was reminded of Vanilla Snak Paks the other day and this was reminiscent of Dark Chocolate Snak Paks. I got a little in my mouth and it was exactly like pudding! It was thick, viscous, kind of sweet, and definitely full of fusel alcohol heat! I may need to lay down after this one. Carbonation was so low as to be almost non-existent. Warming, I began to note charcoal smoke, anise, dark chocolate, tar and still, the unrelenting heat. Phew! This was no playing around. I am sure that it is much more appropriate during the Winter months, especially up in Finland, but I just did not feel like waiting that long. Haluan vierailee Suomessa ja mene jääkiekko peli! This Finnish beer was fin(n)ishing me and it was only the middle of the afternoon! The Finnish fin(n)ish was dry. Duh! I felt like I had been caught in the solar plexus. My breath was taken. This was a big, brawling monster which was determined to send me back to my corner to throw in the towel. I am too stupid to lie down, though, which is how I won many of my fights in the Navy. I would be half dead, but by outlasting my opponent, I would win on points. You don't think that I became this good looking naturally, do you? I reloaded and raised a toast in a northeasterly direction, towards this beast's country of origin. I was rendered nearly insensate and I suddenly remembered Nietzsche's warning that "when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." I was engaged in advanced navel gazing at this point. Tentacles began to come forth from my navel and I shook hands before wrestling with them, finally resorting to knives to cut them from whence they came. Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him? Yaaah! I called my mouthpiece for his learned advice at this point and he advised me to drink more of the same. I love having Jimmy Keaveney on retainer. Suddenly, my glass was empty, no longer marked "Drink me!" and I was back in my bed with Auntie Em looking down at me, asking why I was wearing a gingham dress and ruby slippers while now sporting a long beard. Say, how long was I with this one?!? Where did I go? This is not my beautiful wife! Well, how did I get here?!?

07-20-2014 19:04:44 | More by woodychandler

06-13-2014 23:24:15 | More by jduprey007
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

You'd have to go pretty deep under even in the Baltic Sea before things became this black; Sinebrychoff Porter has an 'ocean bottom' level of darkness (despite the chestnut rim my desktop reading light is able to eek out). Heck, even its head is off-coloured brown. You can tell this style of beer was designed to be tough enough for lengthy exports to places with harsh climates.

If my decipher of this label's alpha-numeric bottling code is correct - and the dust on the bottle when I bought it makes me suspect that it is - this sample is now over 9 years old. And you know something? It smells as good as ever. The aroma, though slightly oxidized (a trait not uncommon even in fresh examples of the style) brims with coffee, roast, and black licorice flavours.

Notions of oxidization and fortified wine continue on the palate but take nothing away from the beer's broad and thick maltiness; they contribute dried fruit notes that compliment the base profile of caramel, soy sauce, burnt wood, dark chocolate, black licorice and even darker, blacker coffee. The aftertaste has notes of fruit cake and ouzo - it's like Greek Christmas up in here.

After a decade of experimenting with it myself, I can speak from personal experience that aging beer is, by and large, a waste of money and a surefire way to set yourself up for disappointment. As with everything, however, there are exceptions. If this bottle of Sinebrychoff Porter is remotely as old as I assume, then here's a top-notch candidate for your cellar (or simply one you can buy by the case full and take your time with).

Anyone who tells you that Sinebrychoff Porter is the world's greatest Baltic Porter isn't lying. Don't get me wrong - there's plenty of incredible renditions of the style out there, but they're all directly or indirectly modeled after this one. Each and every occasion I drink it becomes a "where were you when" kind of memory - it remains truly special stuff even if, as mentioned, more breweries now offer similar offerings. Dating back all the way to 1957, this is still the benchmark.

06-12-2014 03:04:41 | More by biegaman