Follow our progress ...

Added by Todd on 02-12-2002

Reviews: 597 | Ratings: 839
3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Been sitting in my cellar for about 5 years. Pours a dark thick black beer with a one finger tan head that dissipated quickly.

A rich dark roasted malt, sea air, earth, caramel, toffee, raisins, anise, bread and yeast.

A very heavy dark roasted malt, sea air, toffee, raisins, bread,anise, and yeast.

A very smooth creamy mouthfeel with a nice finish.

This is a good porter a light body beer is a nice finish in the beer. I really could detect the sea air in this beer, dunno if that is a fluke or just me. It made is a very pleasant to drink.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent porter, where the flavor profile is slightly smokier. And although there is plenty of malted goodness, it is less sweet than many of the top shelf American porters, such as Founders, Sierra and Smuttynose. Very smooth, slightly carbonated, dry not oily. I wish I had another.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes 4 years old: Pours a midnight cavern brown black. Nice but shortlived 1.5 inch, moca brown, fluffy head with minimal lacing. Aroma sweet dark chocolate, fig/prune/ raisin, molasses/toffee, roasted/burned dark malt, some coffee notes, hint of anise/licorice. Taste burned pumpernickel bread, chocolate milk, chocolate covered cherries, dark fruits, molasses/toffee, bitter coffee, faint anise/licorice. Hop presence is a bitterness immediately following the start through the aftertaste. The burned character intensifies in the finish & aftertaste.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A wine-like, boozy, but super smoove beer. Interesting, complex, a little sweet, very delicious on the tongue. Pours black a deep space with there is no sun.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours opaque, dark brown with one inch head. Taste is baker's chocolate, smoke, roasted malt, and cream. Body is medium heavy. While no one would call this a rauchbier, I love the smokiness of this one. A sipper, but a beer that I will certainly get again.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into tulip glass. It pours a deep, dark mahogany, nearly black, with a two-finger mocha-colored head and extensive acing. It's a very attractive pour. It smells of wood smoke, roasted malt, and burnt coffee. The taste is better than the nose: It starts with a nice caramel flavor; it's sweeter than most Baltic Porters I've tasted. But the sweetness is nicely balanced by roasted malt and burnt coffee. It finishes with a nice bitter touch. The flavors blend nicely. For a porter, it has a nice thick, creamy feel. It's well carbonated and the 7.2% ABV gives it a nice kick. Overall, this is a very nicely-crafted Baltic Porter. The flavors work well together and it's a pleasant beer to drink. It would stand up well to a hearty meal. I will seek this one out again.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

The Sinebrychoff Porter was good....but not an elite Porter. The beer poured an opaque dark with not much head and no lace. The smell and taste were common to most porters....some earth/peat and touch of roast. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with subtle carbonation. Overall it is certainly a sessionable porter and would not shy away from drinking it again.

3.46/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pitch black with an inch of tan foam. (after settling down)

Smells of roasted malt that goes a step further. Smokey as in burnt. Also some sweet malty notes.

Roasted malt and yes, smokey, burnt, yet has its sweeter side. A certainly different Baltic Porter than I'm used to but it's good.

The body just eeks into medium territory.

My first Finnish beer, I reckon.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent, I love everything about this Porter. Big, rich and silky. Lots of nice charred flavors ranging from hoisin sauce, dark cocoa, and burnt sugars. 2009 Vintage.

2.82/5  rDev -32.4%

No bottling date that I can find.

A: Jet-black pour with a tall, dark dark dark brown head. Head is thick with the tiniest bubbles I've seen, almost solid looking. Great, long-lasting retention. Spotty bits of lacing.

S: Fruity, lots of dark fruits. Raisins and berries. Charry. Brown sugar.

T: Very fruity, loaded with dark fruits and char. LOTS of char, like drinking raisin juice strained through a BBQ pit. Very dry and acrid finish.

M: Medium bodied. Ashy.

O: Wow. One of the most charry beers I've ever had. It starts out like an ashtray and only gets worse from there. Super dry, acrid and burnt throughout. Surprising.

3.67/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brew, with a dark mocha head; decent retention.

Roasty, slightly sweet, perhaps a touch oxidized. A little bit of coffee and chocolate from the malt. Really lovely robust porter aroma.

Flavor can't quite live up to the aroma. It's roasty, bordering on ashy. Bitter chocolate malts. Very nutty late finish to the brew, like walnuts and cedar; long finish.

Feel is definitely too thin for the style; very easy, even more so than the 7.2% ABV. A little slick and oily.

A decent brew, but it's fairly two-dimensional: roasty and ashy up front, nutty on the back.

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 330 ML bottle into a snifter at the World of Beer in Cary, NC. Wow, the appearance is pure black gold with a small creamy tan head . The aroma is full of malt, coffee bean and cocoa. . . outstanding. The flavor is pure malt heaven and is very rich. An outstanding porter.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

A: very dark brown - almost black; 1 finger medium brown head that receded to a wispy cap; nice lacing;

S: well toasted bread (not burnt); licorice, dark fruit;

T: starts a little sweet; licorice becomes predominant at mid-palate and stays through the finish;
dark fruit in the aftertaste;

M: full bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish; smooth;

O: would make a nice night cap;

3.67/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

BOTTLE: Brown glass. Pry-off black crown cap. 33cl.

7.20% ABV. U.S. importer is B. United International. Swedish importer is Carlsberg. Best before: 06/02/2016.

Served cold into a mason jar in Kuopio, Finland. Expectations are high; I've had this before. Reviewed live as a Baltic porter.

HEAD: ~3.5 inches wide. Gorgeous khaki-tan colour. Creamy as hell, with a lovely soft complexion and an even, smooth consistency. Retention is superb or the ABV - ~10 minutes. Leaves light even lacing on the sides of the glass as it recedes.

BODY: Opaque ink-black. No yeast is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. An inviting appearance for a Baltic porter. I'm excited to try it.

AROMA: Cocoa dust, dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, hints of faint dark fruit (mainly dates and fig), dark fruitcake, some raisin. Suggests a sticky tasty full-bodied porter.

Aromatic intensity is above average. I can't wait to try it.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Viscous and sticky, with a full body and high thickness. Has a heavy weighty presence on the palate, supporting its robust flavour profile. Quite malty, with heavy schwarz malts, chocolate malts, and dark malts lending a lot of sweetness on the palate. Molasses contributes to the strong malt backbone. Hop presence is minimal (to style). Hints of dark fruit - particularly raisin - are present. Baker's chocolate. Mild cream.

Well-carbonated, a biteen syrupy, smooth, wet, and unrefreshing. Warming but not irritating alcohol presence. The stickiness and weight of the mouthfeel nicely complements the flavour profile. This is a well-put together balanced beer, but does have shortcomings inasmuch as intricacy and subtlety are concerned.

OVERALL: A solid Baltic porter with plenty of likable attributes. Easily one of the best beers in Finland, and absolutely in the upper tier of traditional beers in the style. Very drinkable, albeit filling. Hides its ABV well.

B (3.67)

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The colour is dark brown, almost black (100 EBC), the three finger compact head is brown. It sinks very slowly leaving lots of thick lacing.

The smell is semi-sweet and roasted. Robust notes of black currants, rubber, creamy chocolate, wax beans, liquorice and some clean bitterness.

The taste is semi-sweet with lightly smoked delicatessen, black currants, sweet liquorice, dark chocolate and prunes. Medium to full body. The aftertaste is rich ans smooth with orange peels, dark chocolate, smooth espresso, prunes and dried rose hips. The finish is smooth with red berries and charcoal.

The carbonation is strong, the many small bubbles are long-lived and smooth. The liquid is semi-smooth.

An excellent example of a top fermented baltic porter: Rich and smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours pitch black with thick dark beige silky head. Aroma and taste brings to mind semi-sweet chocolate, lingering sweet bitterness on the palate. All around this is an excellent beer. Complex, smooth and drinkable.

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Bright black – like looking into the abyss topped with a clingy, sudsy tan form cap that sits atop the abyss and persists.
S: Dark grains but not quite coffee and chocolate is also muted. This is more like dark dried fruit.
T: Molasses, grains, oatmeal, dark dried fruit, fig, something caramelly, a touch of wine and dark cake. A lot of dark sugar action on the palate dominates and softens any hint of roast.
F: Very creamy soft in the mouth with medium to medium full body and medium low carbonation.
O: Interesting and somewhat unique but very drinkable and enjoyable.

2.92/5  rDev -30%

After reading the reviews here I somehow got the feeling that this one going to be pretty good. But after I poured it in the glass and starts too look at and smell the beer I got the sense its just a average porter, not more, not less. I had expected more taste and specially after-taste.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

#188 Beers of Fame
#10 Top Rated Beers: Scandinavia

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

First off, why does every bottle of this on the shelf look like shit? I've seen single bottles at multiple stores and they all long like they've been through hell and back. Oh well... On to the beer!

Black, opaque, and a sticky tan head. Head retention is poor and there is no lacing. A quick swirl of the beer shows it has some legs on it. Chocolate is the first thing that hits the nose. As it warms up, a big wave of raisin comes through. Flavor is mostly dark chocolate and roasted malt. Viscous on the palate with long lasting flavor. Low carbonation. Not a bad porter, but I'm not feeling the love on this one.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This has the lacing and body of an RIS. There are actually some RISs that could learn from this. Very roasty and malty, with a somewhat sweet and bitter finish. This is an impressive porter.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a deep dark brown that is almost black with a hearty initial light tan head that dissipates to a thin ring.

Assertive aroma of roasted malt.

Impressively strong roasted malt flavor with a noticeable level of bitterness, and accompanied by moderate sweetness and a slight sour note mixed in.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

330 ml bottle into snifter, best before 11/4/2013. Pours pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense brown head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness. Incredible aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit notes; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness. Fair amount of roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit flavors; with a nice roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very smooth, creamy, and lightly slick/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an incredible Baltic porter. All around awesome complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit flavors; and very smooth to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

$ 3.79/11.2 oz bottle at Vintage Estates, Boardman, OH
Undated bottle at cellar temp into snifter
Aroma very strong of roasted malt and coffee
Head large (5.5 cm), light brown, frothy, slowly diminishing to 5 mm ring
Lacing excellent – wide rings of small bubbles nearly covering the glass
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor very heavy of roasted malt, coffee, and a slight alcohol aftertaste; no hops, no diacetyl
Palate full, creamy, soft carbonation

This is an excellent Baltic porter, flavorful and full bodied.

3.21/5  rDev -23%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown to black with perhaps an amber fraction of a faction of a hair near the edge of the glass under a bright light, 5 fingers of dark beige chocolate milk head with a slight amber tinge. Thick lacing.

S: Cocoa, good boozy quality, chocolate, syrupy liqueur like quality, licorice, light tar.

T: A solid sweetness, a heavy rusty quality, licorice, burnt toast, molasses, any alcohol is hidden. Brown sugar.

M: Thick and syrupy, little carbonation.

O: Got this one at Grapevine in Lakeland, FL. A sign said it’s a Baltic Porter from Finland, so it got me interested as I’ve only had a few in this style, and perhaps its my first from this country. Not the best I've had of the style, but glad to have found it, especially one from so close to the Baltic. . Drank in Pensacola, FL July 24, 2014.

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Brewers Since 1819".

Okay, here is where I may get my ass kicked. I have been holding off on this bad boy since I have met my match with him before, albeit not in many years.

I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle so I was gentle in my pour. OMFG, it pours like heavy-weight motor oil! No head and just wisps as a result. Color was deep-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. I put my snout into the glass and inhaled and was met by an unparalleled booziness. I was transported back to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, while Stosh was still alive and in ownership. We would drink Baltic Porters and smoke dark cigars, like Parodis and maduros and shoot the shit, a publican and a barfly. Back to the present. I took another sniff and got Dark Chocolate pudding. I was reminded of Vanilla Snak Paks the other day and this was reminiscent of Dark Chocolate Snak Paks. I got a little in my mouth and it was exactly like pudding! It was thick, viscous, kind of sweet, and definitely full of fusel alcohol heat! I may need to lay down after this one. Carbonation was so low as to be almost non-existent. Warming, I began to note charcoal smoke, anise, dark chocolate, tar and still, the unrelenting heat. Phew! This was no playing around. I am sure that it is much more appropriate during the Winter months, especially up in Finland, but I just did not feel like waiting that long. Haluan vierailee Suomessa ja mene jääkiekko peli! This Finnish beer was fin(n)ishing me and it was only the middle of the afternoon! The Finnish fin(n)ish was dry. Duh! I felt like I had been caught in the solar plexus. My breath was taken. This was a big, brawling monster which was determined to send me back to my corner to throw in the towel. I am too stupid to lie down, though, which is how I won many of my fights in the Navy. I would be half dead, but by outlasting my opponent, I would win on points. You don't think that I became this good looking naturally, do you? I reloaded and raised a toast in a northeasterly direction, towards this beast's country of origin. I was rendered nearly insensate and I suddenly remembered Nietzsche's warning that "when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." I was engaged in advanced navel gazing at this point. Tentacles began to come forth from my navel and I shook hands before wrestling with them, finally resorting to knives to cut them from whence they came. Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him? Yaaah! I called my mouthpiece for his learned advice at this point and he advised me to drink more of the same. I love having Jimmy Keaveney on retainer. Suddenly, my glass was empty, no longer marked "Drink me!" and I was back in my bed with Auntie Em looking down at me, asking why I was wearing a gingham dress and ruby slippers while now sporting a long beard. Say, how long was I with this one?!? Where did I go? This is not my beautiful wife! Well, how did I get here?!?

Sinebrychoff Porter from Oy Sinebrychoff Ab