Sinebrychoff Porter - Oy Sinebrychoff Ab

Oy Sinebrychoff Ab visit their website
Finland

Baltic Porter |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sinebrychoff Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 801 | Reviews: 589
3.67/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

BOTTLE: Brown glass. Pry-off black crown cap. 33cl.

7.20% ABV. U.S. importer is B. United International. Swedish importer is Carlsberg. Best before: 06/02/2016.

Served cold into a mason jar in Kuopio, Finland. Expectations are high; I've had this before. Reviewed live as a Baltic porter.

HEAD: ~3.5 inches wide. Gorgeous khaki-tan colour. Creamy as hell, with a lovely soft complexion and an even, smooth consistency. Retention is superb or the ABV - ~10 minutes. Leaves light even lacing on the sides of the glass as it recedes.

BODY: Opaque ink-black. No yeast is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. An inviting appearance for a Baltic porter. I'm excited to try it.

AROMA: Cocoa dust, dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, hints of faint dark fruit (mainly dates and fig), dark fruitcake, some raisin. Suggests a sticky tasty full-bodied porter.

Aromatic intensity is above average. I can't wait to try it.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Viscous and sticky, with a full body and high thickness. Has a heavy weighty presence on the palate, supporting its robust flavour profile. Quite malty, with heavy schwarz malts, chocolate malts, and dark malts lending a lot of sweetness on the palate. Molasses contributes to the strong malt backbone. Hop presence is minimal (to style). Hints of dark fruit - particularly raisin - are present. Baker's chocolate. Mild cream.

Well-carbonated, a biteen syrupy, smooth, wet, and unrefreshing. Warming but not irritating alcohol presence. The stickiness and weight of the mouthfeel nicely complements the flavour profile. This is a well-put together balanced beer, but does have shortcomings inasmuch as intricacy and subtlety are concerned.

OVERALL: A solid Baltic porter with plenty of likable attributes. Easily one of the best beers in Finland, and absolutely in the upper tier of traditional beers in the style. Very drinkable, albeit filling. Hides its ABV well.

B (3.67)

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The colour is dark brown, almost black (100 EBC), the three finger compact head is brown. It sinks very slowly leaving lots of thick lacing.

The smell is semi-sweet and roasted. Robust notes of black currants, rubber, creamy chocolate, wax beans, liquorice and some clean bitterness.

The taste is semi-sweet with lightly smoked delicatessen, black currants, sweet liquorice, dark chocolate and prunes. Medium to full body. The aftertaste is rich ans smooth with orange peels, dark chocolate, smooth espresso, prunes and dried rose hips. The finish is smooth with red berries and charcoal.

The carbonation is strong, the many small bubbles are long-lived and smooth. The liquid is semi-smooth.

An excellent example of a top fermented baltic porter: Rich and smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours pitch black with thick dark beige silky head. Aroma and taste brings to mind semi-sweet chocolate, lingering sweet bitterness on the palate. All around this is an excellent beer. Complex, smooth and drinkable.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Good, Solid Porter. Closer to a Stout.

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Bright black – like looking into the abyss topped with a clingy, sudsy tan form cap that sits atop the abyss and persists.
S: Dark grains but not quite coffee and chocolate is also muted. This is more like dark dried fruit.
T: Molasses, grains, oatmeal, dark dried fruit, fig, something caramelly, a touch of wine and dark cake. A lot of dark sugar action on the palate dominates and softens any hint of roast.
F: Very creamy soft in the mouth with medium to medium full body and medium low carbonation.
O: Interesting and somewhat unique but very drinkable and enjoyable.

2.92/5  rDev -30%

After reading the reviews here I somehow got the feeling that this one going to be pretty good. But after I poured it in the glass and starts too look at and smell the beer I got the sense its just a average porter, not more, not less. I had expected more taste and specially after-taste.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

#188 Beers of Fame
#10 Top Rated Beers: Scandinavia

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

First off, why does every bottle of this on the shelf look like shit? I've seen single bottles at multiple stores and they all long like they've been through hell and back. Oh well... On to the beer!

Black, opaque, and a sticky tan head. Head retention is poor and there is no lacing. A quick swirl of the beer shows it has some legs on it. Chocolate is the first thing that hits the nose. As it warms up, a big wave of raisin comes through. Flavor is mostly dark chocolate and roasted malt. Viscous on the palate with long lasting flavor. Low carbonation. Not a bad porter, but I'm not feeling the love on this one.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter. Unsure how to read expiration date, but seems fine. (Says E33084P). Aggressive pour shows one finger dark brown foamy head, fair retention, and spotty lacing. Pitch black. Aromas of dark roasted malt, baker's chocolate, plums, cocoa, and other dark fruits. Tastes much like aroma, with addition of brown sugar, notes of cherries and raisins. Feel is slick, somewhat oily, and lightly viscous. Mild carbonation lingers on front and middle of tongue. I was pleased with this porter, it has a great balance, feel, aroma and flavor. A fine example of the style. Will buy again.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This has the lacing and body of an RIS. There are actually some RISs that could learn from this. Very roasty and malty, with a somewhat sweet and bitter finish. This is an impressive porter.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

It's a pretty standard porter.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Worldclass porter. Pours pitchblack. Nice rounded mouthfeel, no fuzz about the taste. A great brew!

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a deep dark brown that is almost black with a hearty initial light tan head that dissipates to a thin ring.

Assertive aroma of roasted malt.

Impressively strong roasted malt flavor with a noticeable level of bitterness, and accompanied by moderate sweetness and a slight sour note mixed in.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

330 ml bottle into snifter, best before 11/4/2013. Pours pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense brown head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness. Incredible aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit notes; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness. Fair amount of roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, molasses, raisin, prune, fig, licorice, light smoke/char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit flavors; with a nice roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very smooth, creamy, and lightly slick/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an incredible Baltic porter. All around awesome complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and dark fruit flavors; and very smooth to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

A bit hoppy, should have aged it

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

$ 3.79/11.2 oz bottle at Vintage Estates, Boardman, OH
Undated bottle at cellar temp into snifter
Aroma very strong of roasted malt and coffee
Head large (5.5 cm), light brown, frothy, slowly diminishing to 5 mm ring
Lacing excellent – wide rings of small bubbles nearly covering the glass
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor very heavy of roasted malt, coffee, and a slight alcohol aftertaste; no hops, no diacetyl
Palate full, creamy, soft carbonation

This is an excellent Baltic porter, flavorful and full bodied.

3.21/5  rDev -23%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown to black with perhaps an amber fraction of a faction of a hair near the edge of the glass under a bright light, 5 fingers of dark beige chocolate milk head with a slight amber tinge. Thick lacing.

S: Cocoa, good boozy quality, chocolate, syrupy liqueur like quality, licorice, light tar.

T: A solid sweetness, a heavy rusty quality, licorice, burnt toast, molasses, any alcohol is hidden. Brown sugar.

M: Thick and syrupy, little carbonation.

O: Got this one at Grapevine in Lakeland, FL. A sign said it’s a Baltic Porter from Finland, so it got me interested as I’ve only had a few in this style, and perhaps its my first from this country. Not the best I've had of the style, but glad to have found it, especially one from so close to the Baltic. . Drank in Pensacola, FL July 24, 2014.

4.81/5  rDev +15.3%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Brewers Since 1819".

Okay, here is where I may get my ass kicked. I have been holding off on this bad boy since I have met my match with him before, albeit not in many years.

I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle so I was gentle in my pour. OMFG, it pours like heavy-weight motor oil! No head and just wisps as a result. Color was deep-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. I put my snout into the glass and inhaled and was met by an unparalleled booziness. I was transported back to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, while Stosh was still alive and in ownership. We would drink Baltic Porters and smoke dark cigars, like Parodis and maduros and shoot the shit, a publican and a barfly. Back to the present. I took another sniff and got Dark Chocolate pudding. I was reminded of Vanilla Snak Paks the other day and this was reminiscent of Dark Chocolate Snak Paks. I got a little in my mouth and it was exactly like pudding! It was thick, viscous, kind of sweet, and definitely full of fusel alcohol heat! I may need to lay down after this one. Carbonation was so low as to be almost non-existent. Warming, I began to note charcoal smoke, anise, dark chocolate, tar and still, the unrelenting heat. Phew! This was no playing around. I am sure that it is much more appropriate during the Winter months, especially up in Finland, but I just did not feel like waiting that long. Haluan vierailee Suomessa ja mene jääkiekko peli! This Finnish beer was fin(n)ishing me and it was only the middle of the afternoon! The Finnish fin(n)ish was dry. Duh! I felt like I had been caught in the solar plexus. My breath was taken. This was a big, brawling monster which was determined to send me back to my corner to throw in the towel. I am too stupid to lie down, though, which is how I won many of my fights in the Navy. I would be half dead, but by outlasting my opponent, I would win on points. You don't think that I became this good looking naturally, do you? I reloaded and raised a toast in a northeasterly direction, towards this beast's country of origin. I was rendered nearly insensate and I suddenly remembered Nietzsche's warning that "when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." I was engaged in advanced navel gazing at this point. Tentacles began to come forth from my navel and I shook hands before wrestling with them, finally resorting to knives to cut them from whence they came. Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him? Yaaah! I called my mouthpiece for his learned advice at this point and he advised me to drink more of the same. I love having Jimmy Keaveney on retainer. Suddenly, my glass was empty, no longer marked "Drink me!" and I was back in my bed with Auntie Em looking down at me, asking why I was wearing a gingham dress and ruby slippers while now sporting a long beard. Say, how long was I with this one?!? Where did I go? This is not my beautiful wife! Well, how did I get here?!?

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

You'd have to go pretty deep under even in the Baltic Sea before things became this black; Sinebrychoff Porter has an 'ocean bottom' level of darkness (despite the chestnut rim my desktop reading light is able to eek out). Heck, even its head is off-coloured brown. You can tell this style of beer was designed to be tough enough for lengthy exports to places with harsh climates.

If my decipher of this label's alpha-numeric bottling code is correct - and the dust on the bottle when I bought it makes me suspect that it is - this sample is now over 9 years old. And you know something? It smells as good as ever. The aroma, though slightly oxidized (a trait not uncommon even in fresh examples of the style) brims with coffee, roast, and black licorice flavours.

Notions of oxidization and fortified wine continue on the palate but take nothing away from the beer's broad and thick maltiness; they contribute dried fruit notes that compliment the base profile of caramel, soy sauce, burnt wood, dark chocolate, black licorice and even darker, blacker coffee. The aftertaste has notes of fruit cake and ouzo - it's like Greek Christmas up in here.

After a decade of experimenting with it myself, I can speak from personal experience that aging beer is, by and large, a waste of money and a surefire way to set yourself up for disappointment. As with everything, however, there are exceptions. If this bottle of Sinebrychoff Porter is remotely as old as I assume, then here's a top-notch candidate for your cellar (or simply one you can buy by the case full and take your time with).

Anyone who tells you that Sinebrychoff Porter is the world's greatest Baltic Porter isn't lying. Don't get me wrong - there's plenty of incredible renditions of the style out there, but they're all directly or indirectly modeled after this one. Each and every occasion I drink it becomes a "where were you when" kind of memory - it remains truly special stuff even if, as mentioned, more breweries now offer similar offerings. Dating back all the way to 1957, this is still the benchmark.

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into porter glass. It is very dark black with a caramel-colored head. Didn't leave much lace as I drank it. Aroma was roasted (burnt) coffee and a mild sweetness. My wife and I couldn't call the sweetness out by name until the next morning. I took a whiff of the warm remnants left in the glass and immediately picked up on raisins or prunes. Taste had average porter bitterness. Viscosity was above average and higher alcohol was apparent. Decent aftertaste. I think I actually served it too cold at first (maybe 40 deg or so). As it warmed, I really enjoyed it more.

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

/ Pilsner Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

A: pitch black; dark beige head; broad, fine sheets of lacing, interspersed with round-latticed spattered lacing
S: funky toffee/coffee
T: slightly sweet, roasted coffee, bitter toffee, a bit like bile; roasted coffee back for the finish
M: medium-bodied, only faint edge of bitterness
O: Somehow I just didn't care for it the way the majority seems to. I thought it tasted mostly coffee-ish, except for an unavoidable sense of throw-up, which was obviously off-putting.

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Colonial Spirits
Pours a solid black color with a smallish tan head that dissipates to a small cap. The aroma is heavy with charred wood, and vinous oxidation, supported by dark fruits, smoke and dark chocolate. Little to no hop aroma or alcohol presence. The flavor is a hint of sweet sugar up front that quickly becomes smokey with light fruits and a bit of wine like flavor. A charred ashy flavor sweeps in and lingers long into the finish of every sip. Medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a full almost gritty mouthfeel. Big burnt fruity Baltic porter. I warmed up to it after a while, but it is not my favorite example of the style.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

33 cl bottle was poured into a goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing as the beer was drank.

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, burnt molasses, a little alcohol, and some dark fruits.

Taste: Roasted coffee, chocolate, molasses, smoke, dark fruits, a little booze, and very deliciously smooth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium to full bodied, delicious, and medium carbonation.

Overall: i personally think the best Baltic porters come from the Scandinavian countries. Extremely delicious for a beer that has traveled thousands of miles to get to Boston.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours in a gorgeous black color with a huge mocha brown head. A beautiful beer.

The aroma has a big sweet chocolate note, with coffee, fudge, molasses, and a sweetness from roasty malt. There's also a raisin and dark fruit sweetness lingering in there.

The flavor follows with a wonderful chocolate note, roasty bitterness, and then a coffee flavor on the end. The carbonation leaves this beer off well from the palate. There's also a raisin flavor that cleans up the beer slightly.

A really wonderful beer. I enjoyed this and it surely surprised me.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter. The best before date code is a mystery.

A: Deep inky black on the pour. The light brown head retains very well and leaves a patchwork of lacing.

S: Fudge, dark chocolate, mocha, coffee grounds. Cocoa nibs, black cocoa powder. Blackstrap molasses, carob. Darkfruit abounds. Lots of plum and blackberry. A deep, layered complexity on the nose.

T: Fudge, blackstrap molasses, hints of cola. Carob and dark chocolate fudge sauce. Black cocoa. Dark caramel. Coffee grounds and a hint of smoke. Plum and blackberry darkfruit. Mild acidity. Roasted coffee beans. Long lingering finish of carob, black cocoa, and a touch of smoke and soot.

M: Big and thick in body. Full and rich. Creamy and velvety. Low carbonation. Slight warming alcohol.

O: Fantastic. Sinebrychoff reigns supreme as king of the Baltic Porters. Rich, deep, and complex, yet still very drinkable. Full of character and nuance. There's a lot of legend and history surrounding this beer too. A favorite of the late Michael Jackson, and a timeless classic of a beer.

4.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Blue Monk in Buffalo, NY.

Pours an inpenetrable dark black. Very ominous, but beautiful. 2 inch head just won't recede. Sticky globs of lacing form on the glass.

Smells like roasted malt, bit of smoke, chocolate, and oak.

Similar flavors. The roasty malt and the smoke give the beer a slightly ashy bitterness, but the chocolate flavors (don't think there's chocolate added, probably just the malt) bring some sweetness to balance it out. The alcohol is not noticed.

Full body and creamy. Low carbonation. Very drinkable.

My first beer from Finland. Really glad to find it on tap as it's one of the best porters around.

Sinebrychoff Porter from Oy Sinebrychoff Ab