Sinebrychoff Porter - Oy Sinebrychoff Ab

Sinebrychoff PorterSinebrychoff Porter

Oy Sinebrychoff Ab visit their website
Finland

Baltic Porter |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sinebrychoff Porter Alström Bros
Caddant

08-07-2014 01:35:54 | More by tykechandler
Ozzylizard

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

$ 3.79/11.2 oz bottle at Vintage Estates, Boardman, OH
Undated bottle at cellar temp into snifter
Aroma very strong of roasted malt and coffee
Head large (5.5 cm), light brown, frothy, slowly diminishing to 5 mm ring
Lacing excellent – wide rings of small bubbles nearly covering the glass
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor very heavy of roasted malt, coffee, and a slight alcohol aftertaste; no hops, no diacetyl
Palate full, creamy, soft carbonation

This is an excellent Baltic porter, flavorful and full bodied.

08-04-2014 23:18:38 | More by Ozzylizard

07-25-2014 23:52:09 | More by tjdrewry
patre_tim

China

3.16/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Dark brown to black with perhaps an amber fraction of a faction of a hair near the edge of the glass under a bright light, 5 fingers of dark beige chocolate milk head with a slight amber tinge. Thick lacing.

S: Cocoa, good boozy quality, chocolate, syrupy liqueur like quality, licorice, light tar.

T: A solid sweetness, a heavy rusty quality, licorice, burnt toast, molasses, any alcohol is hidden. Brown sugar.

M: Thick and syrupy, little carbonation.

O: Got this one at Grapevine in Lakeland, FL. A sign said it’s a Baltic Porter from Finland, so it got me interested as I’ve only had a few in this style, and perhaps its my first from this country. Not the best I've had of the style, but glad to have found it, especially one from so close to the Baltic. . Drank in Pensacola, FL July 24, 2014.

07-25-2014 03:09:48 | More by patre_tim
Florya

Norway

07-22-2014 16:13:33 | More by Florya
woodychandler

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Brewers Since 1819".

Okay, here is where I may get my ass kicked. I have been holding off on this bad boy since I have met my match with him before, albeit not in many years.

I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle so I was gentle in my pour. OMFG, it pours like heavy-weight motor oil! No head and just wisps as a result. Color was deep-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. I put my snout into the glass and inhaled and was met by an unparalleled booziness. I was transported back to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, while Stosh was still alive and in ownership. We would drink Baltic Porters and smoke dark cigars, like Parodis and maduros and shoot the shit, a publican and a barfly. Back to the present. I took another sniff and got Dark Chocolate pudding. I was reminded of Vanilla Snak Paks the other day and this was reminiscent of Dark Chocolate Snak Paks. I got a little in my mouth and it was exactly like pudding! It was thick, viscous, kind of sweet, and definitely full of fusel alcohol heat! I may need to lay down after this one. Carbonation was so low as to be almost non-existent. Warming, I began to note charcoal smoke, anise, dark chocolate, tar and still, the unrelenting heat. Phew! This was no playing around. I am sure that it is much more appropriate during the Winter months, especially up in Finland, but I just did not feel like waiting that long. Haluan vierailee Suomessa ja mene jääkiekko peli! This Finnish beer was fin(n)ishing me and it was only the middle of the afternoon! The Finnish fin(n)ish was dry. Duh! I felt like I had been caught in the solar plexus. My breath was taken. This was a big, brawling monster which was determined to send me back to my corner to throw in the towel. I am too stupid to lie down, though, which is how I won many of my fights in the Navy. I would be half dead, but by outlasting my opponent, I would win on points. You don't think that I became this good looking naturally, do you? I reloaded and raised a toast in a northeasterly direction, towards this beast's country of origin. I was rendered nearly insensate and I suddenly remembered Nietzsche's warning that "when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." I was engaged in advanced navel gazing at this point. Tentacles began to come forth from my navel and I shook hands before wrestling with them, finally resorting to knives to cut them from whence they came. Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him? Yaaah! I called my mouthpiece for his learned advice at this point and he advised me to drink more of the same. I love having Jimmy Keaveney on retainer. Suddenly, my glass was empty, no longer marked "Drink me!" and I was back in my bed with Auntie Em looking down at me, asking why I was wearing a gingham dress and ruby slippers while now sporting a long beard. Say, how long was I with this one?!? Where did I go? This is not my beautiful wife! Well, how did I get here?!?

07-20-2014 19:04:44 | More by woodychandler

06-13-2014 23:24:15 | More by jduprey007
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

You'd have to go pretty deep under even in the Baltic Sea before things became this black; Sinebrychoff Porter has an 'ocean bottom' level of darkness (despite the chestnut rim my desktop reading light is able to eek out). Heck, even its head is off-coloured brown. You can tell this style of beer was designed to be tough enough for lengthy exports to places with harsh climates.

If my decipher of this label's alpha-numeric bottling code is correct - and the dust on the bottle when I bought it makes me suspect that it is - this sample is now over 9 years old. And you know something? It smells as good as ever. The aroma, though slightly oxidized (a trait not uncommon even in fresh examples of the style) brims with coffee, roast, and black licorice flavours.

Notions of oxidization and fortified wine continue on the palate but take nothing away from the beer's broad and thick maltiness; they contribute dried fruit notes that compliment the base profile of caramel, soy sauce, burnt wood, dark chocolate, black licorice and even darker, blacker coffee. The aftertaste has notes of fruit cake and ouzo - it's like Greek Christmas up in here.

After a decade of experimenting with it myself, I can speak from personal experience that aging beer is, by and large, a waste of money and a surefire way to set yourself up for disappointment. As with everything, however, there are exceptions. If this bottle of Sinebrychoff Porter is remotely as old as I assume, then here's a top-notch candidate for your cellar (or simply one you can buy by the case full and take your time with).

Anyone who tells you that Sinebrychoff Porter is the world's greatest Baltic Porter isn't lying. Don't get me wrong - there's plenty of incredible renditions of the style out there, but they're all directly or indirectly modeled after this one. Each and every occasion I drink it becomes a "where were you when" kind of memory - it remains truly special stuff even if, as mentioned, more breweries now offer similar offerings. Dating back all the way to 1957, this is still the benchmark.

06-12-2014 03:04:41 | More by biegaman