Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sinebrychoff Porter - Oy Sinebrychoff Ab

Sinebrychoff PorterSinebrychoff Porter

Oy Sinebrychoff Ab visit their website
Finland

Baltic Porter |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sinebrychoff Porter Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

$ 3.79/11.2 oz bottle at Vintage Estates, Boardman, OH
Undated bottle at cellar temp into snifter
Aroma very strong of roasted malt and coffee
Head large (5.5 cm), light brown, frothy, slowly diminishing to 5 mm ring
Lacing excellent – wide rings of small bubbles nearly covering the glass
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor very heavy of roasted malt, coffee, and a slight alcohol aftertaste; no hops, no diacetyl
Palate full, creamy, soft carbonation

This is an excellent Baltic porter, flavorful and full bodied. (514 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark brown to black with perhaps an amber fraction of a faction of a hair near the edge of the glass under a bright light, 5 fingers of dark beige chocolate milk head with a slight amber tinge. Thick lacing.

S: Cocoa, good boozy quality, chocolate, syrupy liqueur like quality, licorice, light tar.

T: A solid sweetness, a heavy rusty quality, licorice, burnt toast, molasses, any alcohol is hidden. Brown sugar.

M: Thick and syrupy, little carbonation.

O: Got this one at Grapevine in Lakeland, FL. A sign said it’s a Baltic Porter from Finland, so it got me interested as I’ve only had a few in this style, and perhaps its my first from this country. Not the best I've had of the style, but glad to have found it, especially one from so close to the Baltic. . Drank in Pensacola, FL July 24, 2014. (810 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Brewers Since 1819".

Okay, here is where I may get my ass kicked. I have been holding off on this bad boy since I have met my match with him before, albeit not in many years.

I could see some lees at the bottom of the bottle so I was gentle in my pour. OMFG, it pours like heavy-weight motor oil! No head and just wisps as a result. Color was deep-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. I put my snout into the glass and inhaled and was met by an unparalleled booziness. I was transported back to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, while Stosh was still alive and in ownership. We would drink Baltic Porters and smoke dark cigars, like Parodis and maduros and shoot the shit, a publican and a barfly. Back to the present. I took another sniff and got Dark Chocolate pudding. I was reminded of Vanilla Snak Paks the other day and this was reminiscent of Dark Chocolate Snak Paks. I got a little in my mouth and it was exactly like pudding! It was thick, viscous, kind of sweet, and definitely full of fusel alcohol heat! I may need to lay down after this one. Carbonation was so low as to be almost non-existent. Warming, I began to note charcoal smoke, anise, dark chocolate, tar and still, the unrelenting heat. Phew! This was no playing around. I am sure that it is much more appropriate during the Winter months, especially up in Finland, but I just did not feel like waiting that long. Haluan vierailee Suomessa ja mene jääkiekko peli! This Finnish beer was fin(n)ishing me and it was only the middle of the afternoon! The Finnish fin(n)ish was dry. Duh! I felt like I had been caught in the solar plexus. My breath was taken. This was a big, brawling monster which was determined to send me back to my corner to throw in the towel. I am too stupid to lie down, though, which is how I won many of my fights in the Navy. I would be half dead, but by outlasting my opponent, I would win on points. You don't think that I became this good looking naturally, do you? I reloaded and raised a toast in a northeasterly direction, towards this beast's country of origin. I was rendered nearly insensate and I suddenly remembered Nietzsche's warning that "when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." I was engaged in advanced navel gazing at this point. Tentacles began to come forth from my navel and I shook hands before wrestling with them, finally resorting to knives to cut them from whence they came. Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him? Yaaah! I called my mouthpiece for his learned advice at this point and he advised me to drink more of the same. I love having Jimmy Keaveney on retainer. Suddenly, my glass was empty, no longer marked "Drink me!" and I was back in my bed with Auntie Em looking down at me, asking why I was wearing a gingham dress and ruby slippers while now sporting a long beard. Say, how long was I with this one?!? Where did I go? This is not my beautiful wife! Well, how did I get here?!? (3,137 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

You'd have to go pretty deep under even in the Baltic Sea before things became this black; Sinebrychoff Porter has an 'ocean bottom' level of darkness (despite the chestnut rim my desktop reading light is able to eek out). Heck, even its head is off-coloured brown. You can tell this style of beer was designed to be tough enough for lengthy exports to places with harsh climates.

If my decipher of this label's alpha-numeric bottling code is correct - and the dust on the bottle when I bought it makes me suspect that it is - this sample is now over 9 years old. And you know something? It smells as good as ever. The aroma, though slightly oxidized (a trait not uncommon even in fresh examples of the style) brims with coffee, roast, and black licorice flavours.

Notions of oxidization and fortified wine continue on the palate but take nothing away from the beer's broad and thick maltiness; they contribute dried fruit notes that compliment the base profile of caramel, soy sauce, burnt wood, dark chocolate, black licorice and even darker, blacker coffee. The aftertaste has notes of fruit cake and ouzo - it's like Greek Christmas up in here.

After a decade of experimenting with it myself, I can speak from personal experience that aging beer is, by and large, a waste of money and a surefire way to set yourself up for disappointment. As with everything, however, there are exceptions. If this bottle of Sinebrychoff Porter is remotely as old as I assume, then here's a top-notch candidate for your cellar (or simply one you can buy by the case full and take your time with).

Anyone who tells you that Sinebrychoff Porter is the world's greatest Baltic Porter isn't lying. Don't get me wrong - there's plenty of incredible renditions of the style out there, but they're all directly or indirectly modeled after this one. Each and every occasion I drink it becomes a "where were you when" kind of memory - it remains truly special stuff even if, as mentioned, more breweries now offer similar offerings. Dating back all the way to 1957, this is still the benchmark. (2,078 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into porter glass. It is very dark black with a caramel-colored head. Didn't leave much lace as I drank it. Aroma was roasted (burnt) coffee and a mild sweetness. My wife and I couldn't call the sweetness out by name until the next morning. I took a whiff of the warm remnants left in the glass and immediately picked up on raisins or prunes. Taste had average porter bitterness. Viscosity was above average and higher alcohol was apparent. Decent aftertaste. I think I actually served it too cold at first (maybe 40 deg or so). As it warmed, I really enjoyed it more. (575 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

/ Pilsner Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

A: pitch black; dark beige head; broad, fine sheets of lacing, interspersed with round-latticed spattered lacing
S: funky toffee/coffee
T: slightly sweet, roasted coffee, bitter toffee, a bit like bile; roasted coffee back for the finish
M: medium-bodied, only faint edge of bitterness
O: Somehow I just didn't care for it the way the majority seems to. I thought it tasted mostly coffee-ish, except for an unavoidable sense of throw-up, which was obviously off-putting. (523 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Colonial Spirits
Pours a solid black color with a smallish tan head that dissipates to a small cap. The aroma is heavy with charred wood, and vinous oxidation, supported by dark fruits, smoke and dark chocolate. Little to no hop aroma or alcohol presence. The flavor is a hint of sweet sugar up front that quickly becomes smokey with light fruits and a bit of wine like flavor. A charred ashy flavor sweeps in and lingers long into the finish of every sip. Medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a full almost gritty mouthfeel. Big burnt fruity Baltic porter. I warmed up to it after a while, but it is not my favorite example of the style. (675 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

33 cl bottle was poured into a goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger mocha head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing as the beer was drank.

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, burnt molasses, a little alcohol, and some dark fruits.

Taste: Roasted coffee, chocolate, molasses, smoke, dark fruits, a little booze, and very deliciously smooth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium to full bodied, delicious, and medium carbonation.

Overall: i personally think the best Baltic porters come from the Scandinavian countries. Extremely delicious for a beer that has traveled thousands of miles to get to Boston. (707 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours in a gorgeous black color with a huge mocha brown head. A beautiful beer.

The aroma has a big sweet chocolate note, with coffee, fudge, molasses, and a sweetness from roasty malt. There's also a raisin and dark fruit sweetness lingering in there.

The flavor follows with a wonderful chocolate note, roasty bitterness, and then a coffee flavor on the end. The carbonation leaves this beer off well from the palate. There's also a raisin flavor that cleans up the beer slightly.

A really wonderful beer. I enjoyed this and it surely surprised me. (562 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter. The best before date code is a mystery.

A: Deep inky black on the pour. The light brown head retains very well and leaves a patchwork of lacing.

S: Fudge, dark chocolate, mocha, coffee grounds. Cocoa nibs, black cocoa powder. Blackstrap molasses, carob. Darkfruit abounds. Lots of plum and blackberry. A deep, layered complexity on the nose.

T: Fudge, blackstrap molasses, hints of cola. Carob and dark chocolate fudge sauce. Black cocoa. Dark caramel. Coffee grounds and a hint of smoke. Plum and blackberry darkfruit. Mild acidity. Roasted coffee beans. Long lingering finish of carob, black cocoa, and a touch of smoke and soot.

M: Big and thick in body. Full and rich. Creamy and velvety. Low carbonation. Slight warming alcohol.

O: Fantastic. Sinebrychoff reigns supreme as king of the Baltic Porters. Rich, deep, and complex, yet still very drinkable. Full of character and nuance. There's a lot of legend and history surrounding this beer too. A favorite of the late Michael Jackson, and a timeless classic of a beer. (1,068 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Blue Monk in Buffalo, NY.

Pours an inpenetrable dark black. Very ominous, but beautiful. 2 inch head just won't recede. Sticky globs of lacing form on the glass.

Smells like roasted malt, bit of smoke, chocolate, and oak.

Similar flavors. The roasty malt and the smoke give the beer a slightly ashy bitterness, but the chocolate flavors (don't think there's chocolate added, probably just the malt) bring some sweetness to balance it out. The alcohol is not noticed.

Full body and creamy. Low carbonation. Very drinkable.

My first beer from Finland. Really glad to find it on tap as it's one of the best porters around. (638 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sinebrychoff Porter has a very thick, creamy, tan head and a dark brown, almost black, appearance, with thick lacing left behind. The aroma is of extremely rich, stinging malts, astringency, black cherries, licorice, black bread crust, and sour cream. The taste is of all those elements, with little bitterness and no alcohol showing up. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, and Sinebrychoff Porter finishes dry, sweet, rich, and cake like. Overall, this is an outstanding imperial ale!

RJT (487 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head which doesn't retain well but has a nice rush when it is first poured. The head is a dark beige/mocha color while the body is an opaque dark chocolate black. The lacing is minimal. Only a few spots are left behind.

Nose- At the moment, the aroma is exquisite from the bottle but almost nonexistent from the glass. Lots of chocolate, brown sugar, and molasses from the bottle. There are only some weak roasted notes from the glass. Swirling shows stronger roasted malts with some nuttiness but none of the rich aroma of the bottle. When I swirl it in the bottle, I get some raisins and figs as well. Some chocolate starts to come out when I swirl the glass some more.

Taste- The first notes I get are chocolate and bitter coffee with hints of raisins. Some caramel and toffee appear with a slight nuttiness. Brown sugar, some molasses. All of this culminates into a well rounded and slightly bitter finish. It's very close to a stout (as many porters are)- it's a little sweeter (but not cloying) and a little thinner than most stouts. The balance and integration is amazing. The mix of chocolate and smooth coffee flavors give it a nice dark chocolate finish which lingers. As it opens, it becomes sweeter but remains balanced as the coffee bitterness also becomes more defined. Definitely a solid beer. Hints of coconut start to appear as well.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with minimal carbonation (the carbonation is not missed) and a slight grittiness on the finish that is reminiscent of an oatmeal stout. I really enjoy the finish.

Drinkability- Very easygoing. No heat. Not the cheapest but at 4 bucks a bottle, still not a bad price.

Overall- Very good beer. There's a tiny bit of thinness to the flavor profile that prevents me from putting higher than a 4.25 but it is close. It's a must try. (1,851 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz bottle, pours near black, creamy light brown head leaves some lace as it fades. Super rich aroma with plum, raisin, chocolate, booze, anise, black pepper. Tastes are smooth and rich with plenty of dark fruit notes - mainly raisin & plum, with smoke, chocolate, caramel, toffee, anise, and a peppery finish. Medium body but seems watery at times, ample carbonation, very smooth. Really nice to finally come back to this one after 2 or 3 years. Just as good as I remember, and always a favorite! (500 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pitch black with a fluffy brown head. Leaves some traces of lacing.

S: The scent is extremely subdued. There's a faint hay-like sweetness on the nose, and the scent of alcohol permeates as well. Not a whole lot more going on here.

T: At first there is a light toffee and caramel taste, quickly followed by dark roasted flavors of roasted coffee beans and toast. There is an end sweetness like you'd get from sweetened coffee.

M: The mouthfeel is fairly full bodied, but

O: Overall I thought this was a good Baltic Porter. It's pretty much your standard fare, and I doubt porter and stout lovers would have anything bad to say about it. There are some slightly odd characteristics to the scent and taste, but they provide a sort-of sweetness that is a welcome counterpart to the toasty flavor. (800 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I don't recall seen such deep black beer. Thin brown head with short retention.
Aroma of dark fruits, toasted malts, light coffee, actually smells like a black forest cake with a coffee twist.
Delicious. Quite roasted flavor, heavy on espresso coffee and earthy and pine hops. Notes of dark chocolate and yeasty condiments. Very dry aftertaste, with a good bitterness from both malt and hops.
Robust body with good carbonation, a bit effervescent.
Excellent Porter, complex, very bold and tasteful. They should quit doing Vodka and dedicate to Ales. (549 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Incredible head, foamy, dark and rich. Nice lacing.

S - Not as memorable as other features.

T - Some spiciness, dark and rich flavors. Hides alchohol pretty well. Pretty well balanced.

M - Rich and creamy, fairly full bodied.

O - A very solid beer. Very glad I was able to find this. Would certainly have again. (319 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Little bottle poured into a tulip.

A - pours an opaque colour with a nice frothy brown head that stays around half a finger.

S - cinnamon, coffee, toasted malt.

T - roasted coffee, some smokey bacon, cocoa, little bit of berry sweetness from the alcohol, but not the warming sensation.

M - smooth, even for a porter, very little carbonation.

O - This is a great porter! I ate it with a hot fudge sundae... man it was good. Looks good, smells good, tastes good, goes down smooth. A very solid porter in spite of its higher alcohol and the tastes and smell are profound and different enough to make this beer stand out. (623 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in room temperature.

Appearance: Black as the night. Pours a huge and lively head that recedes fairly quickly and has a nice dark brown tint.

Aroma: Roasted malt, burnt toast, black coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of toffee.

Taste: Very dark chocolate with some bitterness, coffee and malt, a hint of orange peel, and a little bit of a nutty aftertaste. Very robust!

Mouthfeel: Heavy bodied, oily, lingers in the mouth.

Overall: This beer is the best value for money that you can get in Finland, costing only just over 2 Euros at Alko and often some 4,5 Euros at bars -- effectively half the price of many similar beers. Unsurprisingly, this means that I've had the beer many, many times, and will gladly go back to it any time. It deserves the praise that it has gotten, although it's sometimes better known outside of Finland. Although the Koff Porter isn't most chocolate flavoured of stouts, or doesn't boast intensive coffee or strange herbs, it still deserves to be rated highly. Why? Because of its uncompromising devotion to the core of what a porter is supposed to be. It's perfectly balanced, deep, and truly black. (1,140 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Jet black and opaque with a thin tan head that rapidly dissipates.

Smell: Smells like crushed grapes, prunes, soy sauce, and then mild dark chocolate and coffee scents. Smell is very strong and I could smell it from a pretty good distance after opening.

Taste: Chocolate, some dried dark fruits, toasted sesame, dark chocolate, and roasted bitterness. Very little-to-no alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel: Pretty typical porter, syrupy and full-bodied.

Overall: This is my first Baltic Porter, so I can't say how indicative it is of the style, but its pretty damn tasty overall. My only other experience with porters has really been Bell's and Founder's - and in that sense, this beer is nothing like those. It's got a very unique smell and taste profile. (764 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours nice and viscous with a big khaki head. Good ring of head retention. Dark as night. Good looking beer.

Aroma: Outstanding. Lots of plummy dark fruit. Big roast and dark chocolate. The slightest hint of acidity.

Taste: Just as delicious. Robust. Long, dry, chocolately finish. Really nice roast character with hints of the dark fruit on the nose. Mild sweetness works perfectly with everything else going on. Really nice mix of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium-carbonation. Nice slick mouthfeel. Lingers on the palate without being sticky. Long finish with big dark chocolate notes.

Overall: Couldn't find much information, but it feels like this bottle may have a bit of age on it. Still big, robust, and delicious, but not quite to the level of when I had it on tap. Feel like some age has thinned out a bit of the malty presence. Still a delicious beer in a style that a lot of breweries don't produce (baltic porter.) Highly recommended. (957 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not sure what the date on this one is but the code is E8 1705 S.

Appearance-4 Pours a completely opaque jet black with a decent sized dark brown head.

Smell-4.5 I could smell this one as soon as I opened the bottle. Chocolate, strong sweet malt, hints of fig, touch of caramel.

Taste-3.5 A sort of bitter chocolate, roasted malts, a bitter semi burnt coffee flavor, slight hint of alcohol in the end.

Mouthfeel- Moderate to low carbonation, slight alcohol warmth, somewhat silky smooth.

Overall- This is not a bad BALTIC porter by any means but the bottle dubs itself plainly as a porter. With that being said, I was sort of torn while judging because sometimes the specific style a beer is given on this site is decided by anyone who cares to change it. For example; were the overly roasty, bitter flavors intentional to try and re-create the style brewed in the 1700s? Who knows. Either way this is a great beer. Maybe not a 93/100 or 95/100 IMO but none-the-less worth a try if you like porters/stouts and haven't had this yet. (1,037 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - jet black body with fluffy mocha head

smell - chocolate malt balls, mocha, expresso

taste - mocha, chocolate malts, expresso, hazelnut

mouthfeel - medium bodied, although it is coming in light/thin for the style, low carbonation, flavors linger on the palate nicely in the finish

overall - this is a good baltic porter, although a bit pricey. My only qualms with this was that the body came in thinner than other entrants of the style

Price Point - $4.69/11.2 oz bottle (487 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Coal black with a very dark stout-like head that leaves strands of lace

Smell: Ashes, burnt black toast, chocolate and a hint of licorice

Taste: Dark chocolate verging on burnt black toast; brewer's licorice arrives in the middle along with a vague sourness that develops further into the finish

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: A really fine beer; not as fruity as other Baltics but the ashen flavor adds a really interesting dimension (477 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty much pitch black with just a little brown coming through. Thin, beige to brown head that dissipates quickly and leaves a little lacing. Definitely dark for a porter - looks just like a heavy stout.

Smoky roasted malts, with just a touch of chocolate and a hint of fruitiness. Not a super outgoing or complex aroma.

Very complex taste of roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, some fruitiness, and just a touch of hop bitterness (but no flavor or aroma really). The standout here seems to be roasted chocolate. Pretty much no alcohol presence, despite the strength.

Nice and thick, like a stout. Mildly carbonated. Fairly creamy. Again, more like a stout than a porter, but I guess the lines sometimes blur on this one.

Really nice one. I can see how one could say it's a thick, strong porter instead of a stout, I guess. But apart from all that, very nice, complex, roasty treat. Would definitely pick it up again. (923 characters)

Sinebrychoff Porter from Oy Sinebrychoff Ab