Bourbon Barrel Aged Big Bang Red - New Old Lompoc Brewery
Displayed for educational use only; do not reuse.
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 3 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Vancoubeer:
More User Reviews:
3.83/5 rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4
Cloudy amber colour with a small, foamy tan head. Decent head retention.
Lots of nutty caramel malt on the nose. Plenty of toffee. Very, very sweet. Fairly earthy but this is all about the sugar.
Sweet caramel malt flavour with some nutty, bready, tasted malt. Nice. Some fruitiness. Good.
Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation.
A very nice Old Ale with mild bourbon notes. Really good on the whole.
Serving type: on-tap
10-05-2011 22:13:54 | More by dgilks
3.88/5 rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5
Picked this up in the bottle.. sat in my cooler for maybe a week.. 12 deg. C... served... Brewed July 3, 2009
- Wonderful clear ruby red amber brew... dark rich shiny copper... white head quickly fizzled barrel-like to an island and large ring of white lace.
- Thick viscous caramel malt.. just as sweet as can be... bright bright bitter pine, oak, vanilla... cream.
- Creamy caramel delight... vanilla.. woody, candy... brown sugar.. much like a barleywine... but a super caramel candy... like those brachs chews...
- Medium to light bodied... but yet the sweetness makes it only 'seem' creamy. Bit dry... sticky..
- Overall a very interesting brew... certainly sweet... certainly a touch hot... I bet this bottle would age very very well for a long time.
Serving type: bottle
09-12-2010 04:56:50 | More by Docer
3.23/5 rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3
On tap at Lompoc Sidebar, tapped for start of Craft Beer Month, 7.1.2010.
Eight months in barrels and aged three additional months, used same barrels as the BBL Porter. Dark crimson red body, no visible carbonation due to opaqueness. One finger light tan head, quick dissipation with good lacing. The nose is all bourbon, though a bit of vanilla became evident as the beer warmed, not much hop presence. Taste is malt forward, significant caramel malts, but not well balanced, way way too bourbony, though one of the brewers told me that blended this to try and roll back the bourbon notes, frankly, that didn't work. Noble pine hops are present, but subsumed by the cloying bourbon character, though it did mellow out a bit as it warmed. Medium-full mouthfeel, decent effervescence. Too boozy right now, grabbed a couple of bottles which I'll cellar to see if it tames down the bourbon. Needs some time, not quite ready to be drank right now.
Serving type: on-tap
07-03-2010 18:09:52 | More by jdense
Bourbon Barrel Aged Big Bang Red from New Old Lompoc Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.