1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

North By Northwest Py Jingo Pale Ale - North by Northwest Restaurant & Brewery

North By Northwest Py Jingo Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

North by Northwest Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Pegasus on 05-27-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by beersheppard:
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: amber color, white head, minimal lacing

Smell: citrus mostly grapefruit

Taste: sweet malt up front gives way to generous hop flavor, grapefruit and herb

Mouthfeel: a little thin, medium

Drinkability: a nice example of the pale ale. Refreshing. I would definitely get again.

On tap at the brewpub. The beer pours an orange yellow color with a white head. The aroma has a nice grapefruit hop note along with some biscuit malt. The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of grapefruit and some other notes from the Cascade hops, with some biscuit malt to balance things out. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Balanced and easy to drink.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

I had this beer as part of the sampler and while I thought it was very good and I do like a good pale ale, I found others in the sampler more interesting so I didn't get around to ordering a full pint of the pale ale. From the sample I can say it is a very clean citrusy American pale ale though I can't agree with the other posters here that say it's a Sierra Nevada knock off. Other that being another citrusy American pale ale I found little in comon in both the aroma and the flavor. I actually liked this one better. It has a very balance to it allowing good hop flavor yet you do notice the malt as well. There is a very likeable aspect to the hops in this beer that reminds me of the way some shampoos smell. I know, that probably didn't make you want to grab one but it's the best way I can describe it and it's something I've had come up once in one of my homebrews though I haven't been able to duplicate it. I'll probably actually order a pint of this next time I'm in.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Medium golden color with some haziness, slight carbonation, and a small white head, fair lacing.

Aroma: Pleasant aroma of malt, lightly hopped.

Taste: Begins with smooth light malts; at the midpoint of the taste refreshing citrus hops appear, these linger paste the end of the taste. The finish is astringently dry, although the lingering hops provide a balance.

Mouth feel: Very smooth and rich mouth feel, quite pleasing.

Drinkability/notes: Mildly hopped for the style, in my opinion, so hop heads may be put off. Nonetheless, a quite nice pale ale.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance - Golden in color with lots of white frothy head. Fades quickly but plenty of lacing left behind.

Smell - Grapefruit and a bit of sweetness in the aroma.

Taste - Plenty of bitter hops and grapefruit. A bit of the malt distant in the background. Just a bit of carbonation.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with just a touch of carbonation. The hops are very enjoyable without any harshness.

Drinkability - This is a really nice pale ale. It represents the style very well. I love pale ales and IPAs that turn on the citrus/grapefruit quality of the hops. Not all of them do this. This one does it very well. This one will go down very nicely!

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this on tap tonight at the brewery.

It pours a very nice deep amber red color. The smell is a nice blend of earthy fruit hops that are very well balanced. Balance is the key with this brew, as nothing is overwpowering in the scent, ditto for the taste. The hops are pleasant and plenty strong, but they are not too strong as there is some malt present to keep everything balanced as well as a pleasant citrus in the back and finish as well.

From all pale ales I have tried (and yes, I've tried many), this is by far one of the best. Of course, it was very fresh, which is always awesome, but this pale ale impressed me because of its awesome balance and complexity. Too many brewers try to be "king of the hops" with brewing pale ales these days. This pale ale just tastes like a damn good pale ale.

My lovely wife surprised me with a growler of this last night after going out with her best friend.

Funny thing is, the wife does not drink, but her friend got a sampler from the Brewery. After trying each one, she (the best friend) picked the one she hated, knowing I'd like it...she was correct.

Poured a hazy light orange in my Sam Adams pint glass. Decent sticky lace that coated the glass. A thin white ring stayed for the duration.

Yum, that's a fresh smelling APA. Getting equal amounts pine, citrus, and spices. Quite aromatic.

Taste follows smell completely. A very resiny pine and citrus(orange, lemon) combo on this one. Even a bit of ginger maybe? Super fresh, nice malt backbone, but the hops take center stage here. Earthy and dank, a very nice APA surprise. Moderate carbonation, goes down super easy...wish I knew what the ABV was...my guess is around 6.

I'd say this one is a hit folks. Try some if you hit NxNW. Thanks again for the growler sweetie!

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance - fairly standard golden color, a decent head has some nice fluff to it but drops a little fast, holding at a thin cover and solid collar.

Aroma - light grapefruit and pine. Could use more but I like what I'm getting.

Taste - grassy grain followed up with piny, grapefruit rind styled hop flavors. Though the hop levels are moderate, they do dominate the palate on the swallow, providing a drying grapefruit flavor into the finish.

Mouthfeel - a little on the thin side. Good crispness.

Drinkability - a very tasty session beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours light golden, with very little head. Aroma is a nice piney hop flavor with maybe some cedar too. I really liked the fresh, woodsy smell of this one. Taste was of some mild hop bitterness, and a good balanced malt behind it. Overall a slightly sweet pale ale that is very drinkable. I liked it a lot and ordered a pint after having it in the sampler. My favorite of the NXNW beers so far. (Besides the Kodiak, now that I've had that as well...)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

On tap at NXNW:

A - pale gold, nice foam and lacing

S - beautiful American citrus hop aroma. Pine, citrus, tropical fruit

T - nice showcase of hop flavor, not a ton of malt character, but I'm really enjoying the hops

M/D - medium thin mouthfeel, very dry and drinkable. This is one of my favortite APAs.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
North By Northwest Py Jingo Pale Ale from North by Northwest Restaurant & Brewery