Follow our progress ...

Oxbow Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Bière de Garde

Availability: Fall

Sour, smokey biere de garde. A blend of multiple vintages of barrel-aged Oxtoberfest.

2015 Blend = 2012, 2013, 2014

Added by yourefragile on 03-10-2013

Reviews: 10 | Ratings: 58
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Dark Amber. White fluffy head, looks like a solid BdG. S: Smokey, that BdG funk, some basement with a touch of lemon. T: Smoke at first, then a touch of biscuit maltiness, finishing with a salty lemon. M: Pillowy, almost creamy, medium feel. O: First oxbow beer and it's great. Just a great representation of the BgD style. Very impressed

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

500ml blend 12'/13'/14' into a Cantillon balloon pours a beautiful slightly opaque reddish brown with a very short lived eggshell head and minimally light lacing. It smells of charred smokey heart of the cedar tree. A rich turpentine is found naturally in the heart of a cedar and has an incredibly pleasant earthy aroma that reminds me of my childhood growing up rural. Truly one of the few things I can name that tastes exactly as it smells, of a beautiful smoked wood and citrus on the back end. The brew is well carbed and floats around the mouth and goes down with an awesome tingle. This isn't for everyone, but I'm in love with it. Pair this one with bbq, thanksgiving dinner, or a nice cold night to welcome the weekend. Well done!

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep reddish brown color with a finger of suds. This bottle actually gushed a little after I opened it. No big deal though, and I didn't really lose any beer.

S: Smells of a vinous, funky aroma. As I dive my nose into the glass I also catch some prominent smokiness. There is a faint scent of malts that come through as well. Definitely not as strong as the funky, smoky notes.

T: The flavor starts off with the sour grapes/apple flavors and evolve into the smoked malts. This is quite the interesting combination. The flavors are really nice. It's a bit two-dimension, but honestly the flavor that these two dimensions contribute is more than enough. I really like this.

F: This doesn't feel like it's 6% at all. The mouth feel is a bit creamy, but medium bodied. It's not a sipper, but not something I can drink multiple bottles of in a sitting.

Overall: This is an interesting beer from Oxbow. Having had their original Oxtoberfest, I was able to pick out the differences between the original and the blended version. I really think that Oxbow could be on to something here with the blends of different vintages. Reminds me of what the Belgian brewers do with their gueuzes. I think this beer could be really great with some rounded edges. Nice beer overall though.

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Label: "Blended 11/12/13"
Purchased July 2014, opened on Sept 9th 2015

L - Hazy, caramel color. Light off-white head that fades quickly.
S - Vinous, funky, spicy. Love the smell.
T - Tart followed by barnyard. A bit of oak and pepper. Tartness overwhelms.
F - Medium bodied and effervescent.
0 - I was expecting something mellower considering the age. Maybe another year would've done it. Ce'st La Vie!

I had heard great things about Oxbow Brewing, so I was sorely disappointed to experience this mediocrity as my introduction to their collection.

This beer is essentially an overly smoked sour beer with an off-putting earthy flavor. Probably something that should not have been bottled.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smoke done well. Tartness, a blend of fruit from pear to Quince, Tartness that isn't a distraction. A hybrid without a real style that is incredibly delicious.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

11/12/13 bottle. Thanks Valdieu!

A: Pours an absolutely clear amber with a nice off-white head.

S: Aroma is funky leather, raspberry, mild caramel malt and yeasty.

T: Smoke makes itself known first, followed by crisp red fruit acidity. Moderately sour, bready malt, more smoke, slight metallic note.

M: Light-bodied with zingy carbonation.

O: Odd at first, but I really like it.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Both 2012 and 2013 consumed... roughly a year apart. 2012 vintage was not reviewed, only rated with an overall score on 8/9/13. Wanted to keep that score available. I gave the 2012 vintage an overall 4.5.

ASTMO scores and review as follows are for 2013 vintage...

A: If I didn't pour quickly, it would have gushed from the bottle. Nice frothy white head that stuck around. Cloudy copper orange beer. Pleasant looking, but not spectacular.

S: Not as much smoke as I remember from 2012 vintage, but it's there...combined with that sweet, spicy, earthy saison aroma. I really dig the aroma.

T: Some smoke that becomes more up front as it warms. Soft, pleasant tartness...free of acidic burn. Black pepper. Biscuity sweetness carries throughout

M: Nice juicy beer. Medium to medium-thick. Carbonation is higher...a tad prickly, but neither here nor there.

O: Just slightly less impressive than I remembered the last batch to be, but impressive nonetheless. I remember more smoke, but maybe the additional blending has something to do with it being dialed down...or maybe my memory sucks. If pressed, I'd call this a slightly more tart smoked saison. I very much dig. That said, I can see why this wouldn't be for everyone. Biere de garde is also accurate, I suppose.

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle shared by Todd. Apparently this is partly aged in Riesling barrels. Served in a snifter.

A - White foam settles to a thin cap, thicker collar, and specks of lace. Hazed dark orange body.

S - The aroma is quite odd and unexpected. A mixture of smoked meats, oak, dirty funk, and bready malts, with perhaps a touch of caramel and honey sweetness evocative of a festbier. Not much overt Riesling character; perhaps some nebulous fruitiness.

T - The taste is significantly more sour, with less smoked meat and more vinous oak. The malt sweetness imparting by the base beer is largely masked as well, with tart green apple, grape skin, and light lemon showing up instead. The smokey and sour combination is an odd one, but it grew on me over the course of a glass.

M - Medium body, with pleasant carbonation. Crisp, clean finish, and light lingering acidity.

D - The aroma was straight-up strange, but the taste and feel redeemed this beer quite a bit. It's certainly unique, and I'd give it another shot as there's good complexity and quite a number of flavors to unpack. Curious how this sort of thing ages as well.

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

750 mL 2011/2012 bottle shared by Thorpe.

Pours a hazed golden copper with a thin off white head,good retention. Nose is heavy on Riesling and oak, mildly fruity, and a mixture of malts, smoke, caramel and bready. Medium light body with soft carbonation. Flavor is mildly sour, green apple and tannic, not much else going on or balance.

Blended Oxtoberfest from Oxbow Brewing Company