Microbrew Invitational

Oxbow Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Bière de Garde

Availability: Fall

Sour, smokey biere de garde. A blend of multiple vintages of barrel-aged Oxtoberfest.

2015 Blend = 2012, 2013, 2014

Added by yourefragile on 03-10-2013

Reviews: 10 | Ratings: 58
Reviews by kjkinsey:

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep reddish brown color with a finger of suds. This bottle actually gushed a little after I opened it. No big deal though, and I didn't really lose any beer.

S: Smells of a vinous, funky aroma. As I dive my nose into the glass I also catch some prominent smokiness. There is a faint scent of malts that come through as well. Definitely not as strong as the funky, smoky notes.

T: The flavor starts off with the sour grapes/apple flavors and evolve into the smoked malts. This is quite the interesting combination. The flavors are really nice. It's a bit two-dimension, but honestly the flavor that these two dimensions contribute is more than enough. I really like this.

F: This doesn't feel like it's 6% at all. The mouth feel is a bit creamy, but medium bodied. It's not a sipper, but not something I can drink multiple bottles of in a sitting.

Overall: This is an interesting beer from Oxbow. Having had their original Oxtoberfest, I was able to pick out the differences between the original and the blended version. I really think that Oxbow could be on to something here with the blends of different vintages. Reminds me of what the Belgian brewers do with their gueuzes. I think this beer could be really great with some rounded edges. Nice beer overall though.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Both 2012 and 2013 consumed... roughly a year apart. 2012 vintage was not reviewed, only rated with an overall score on 8/9/13. Wanted to keep that score available. I gave the 2012 vintage an overall 4.5.

ASTMO scores and review as follows are for 2013 vintage...

A: If I didn't pour quickly, it would have gushed from the bottle. Nice frothy white head that stuck around. Cloudy copper orange beer. Pleasant looking, but not spectacular.

S: Not as much smoke as I remember from 2012 vintage, but it's there...combined with that sweet, spicy, earthy saison aroma. I really dig the aroma.

T: Some smoke that becomes more up front as it warms. Soft, pleasant tartness...free of acidic burn. Black pepper. Biscuity sweetness carries throughout

M: Nice juicy beer. Medium to medium-thick. Carbonation is higher...a tad prickly, but neither here nor there.

O: Just slightly less impressive than I remembered the last batch to be, but impressive nonetheless. I remember more smoke, but maybe the additional blending has something to do with it being dialed down...or maybe my memory sucks. If pressed, I'd call this a slightly more tart smoked saison. I very much dig. That said, I can see why this wouldn't be for everyone. Biere de garde is also accurate, I suppose.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

3.9/5  rDev -1%

11/12/13 bottle. Thanks Valdieu!

A: Pours an absolutely clear amber with a nice off-white head.

S: Aroma is funky leather, raspberry, mild caramel malt and yeasty.

T: Smoke makes itself known first, followed by crisp red fruit acidity. Moderately sour, bready malt, more smoke, slight metallic note.

M: Light-bodied with zingy carbonation.

O: Odd at first, but I really like it.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smoke done well. Tartness, a blend of fruit from pear to Quince, Tartness that isn't a distraction. A hybrid without a real style that is incredibly delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

1.75/5  rDev -55.6%