Original Deluxe - Oxbow Brewing Company

Beer added by: ToasterChef on 06-30-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 23 | Reviews: 3
2.71/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Had this on tap at the anniversary party and must say it was the first Oxbow beer that i was fairly underwhelmet by and wouldn't get again.
A: translucent brown with a bit of lace
S: very earthy, dirt, bit of caramel raisin
T: malt profile hits upfront with very earthy tones with fairly bad aftertaste

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at When Pigs Fly. In a snifter the beer was rust-colored with a medium-sized off-white head. There was a fair amount of lace.

Hoppy aroma, earthy. Some dark fruit.

Plum and raisin. Earthy.

A nice balance between the fruit and the hops. I had a couple and easily could have had a couple more.

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%

Original Deluxe was a one-off collaboration with Stillwater Artisanal Ales. It is a strong Biere de Garde brewed with all noble hops. ABV is approximate; the brewer didn't know the ABV off the top of hsi head, but told me it was around 8%.I was lucky enough to be in the Oxbow tasting room when the first keg of OD was tapped. I got the buy the first growler of it! I'm pouring into my Oxbow tulip.

The beer is a cloudy, opaque brown liquid with a small tan head. The bubbles on top disperse into a ring of foam and a small island of bubbles in the center of the glass. Swirling the glass brings the head back and leaves the walls coated with a foamy skim.

As you would expect from a beer using exclusively noble hops, there is a strong hop aroma. It's much hoppier than you would expect in this style beer, but that was intentional (Tim the brewer told me so!). It is a strongly bitter aroma, with some toffee malts in the background.

The malt base has some dark fruit flavors: raisin and plum. There is some grassy bitterness, but the bitter flavors aren't as strong as the aromas. Bitterness is most pronounced in the finish. It lingers on.

The beer d leaves a noticeable film behind. That being said, it doesn't feel too thick as I sip it. It;s only after I swallow can you feel the coating. Carbonation is low, despite me keeping the growler cooled since I purchased it.

This is a very enjoyable beer. Oxbow is so much more than a saison brewery, and this Biere de garde shows that! It doesn't have any characteristics that I would say show the influence of Brian Strumke, but I'm not overly knowledgeable about his beers. I'd recommend this beer to fans of either brewery, or to anyone who wants a slightly different take on a Belgian-style beer.

to view more.