Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by ElGallo on 07-12-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 14
4.37/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think I was jaded by reading some reviews that suggested the brett takes over this beer. I'm not a huge brett or sour fan, but I loved this beer. Nice malty base, tangy and maybe a little sour, but not over the top - really tasty. Perfect mouthfeel. Really enjoyed this beer!

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

750 mL swing-top growler, counter-pressure filled. This was a brewery-only release from March 2013 (I think). According to the brewery this is "a strong dark ale aged in bourbon barrels and bottle conditioned with brettanomyces."

Poured into a small snifter with an aggressive pour there was a normal head but it fizzled out quickly. Solid lacing remained for some time, however. This beer is dark brown in color with some amber coloring blended in.

Smells of some dark fruits but mostly brett-induced funk. Dry on the nose. Pleasant but not overly complex.

I tried to let this come up a bit in temp before taking a few sips. Up front there are tasty notes reminiscent of a nutty brown ale and some fig and raisin notes. But the initial flavors are quickly wiped out by the brett. Little to no barrel or bourbon notes. Over time this just tasted like "dark beer with brett" and not much more.

Overall, I like brett-forward beers, but with this beer style I'm not sure how well it works. I was hoping for some complexity from the bourbon barrels, but the brett masked everything very quickly. Certainly a tasty beer, and I had no problem finishing the whole bottle over an hour or so, but Oxbow has set the bar pretty high for me. The only other dark beer I've had from them was the Saison Noel, which was excellent - this one is not at that level.

Cletus from Oxbow Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.