Old Monk 10000 - Mohan Breweries & Distilleries Ltd

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 05-29-2006

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.04/5  rDev +24.1%

Served at an Indian restaurant from 22-ounce bomber a copper cup. Straw color no real head. Thin clinging ring and some lacing on sides. Nose of cherries or sweet raisins. Mouth is thin with good carbonation but not much viscosity. Flavor somewhat fruity, alcohol is well masked. Overall enjoyable but would not seek out. (322 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Pours a golden yellow with a head that falls flat almost immediately, the smell is very sharp and metallic, tangy with no aroma of hops whatsoever. The first sip was tart and crisp, almost cider-like, but this quickly turned into a sweet, cloying, sharp and metallic flavor that was almost unbearable by the end of my glass. Very cheap and adjuncty, most likely sugar with rice, no taste of corn detected and certainly no hop flavor to be found. Mouthfeel was medium thin and highly carbonated. This tasted cheap, tacky and unfortunate. Very similar in flavor to Steel Reserve or another budget American Malt Liqour. Shall not be drinking again. (645 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had no idea what this was, and I couldn't find anything on the label telling me. All I know is that I can guarantee seeing "American Malt Liquor" listed as the style drops its score 20 points automatically.

Well, it doesn't look like much. It's a very pale "straw" yellow with a fizzy white head that dies quickly and leaves a foam that dies fairly quickly too. It manages barely a modicum of thin, spotty lacing.
The aroma, while a little nondescript, is actually pretty interesting. It's neither negligible nor offensive. It does offer a bit of fusel alcohol, though not at crazy levels, and none of the awful creamed corn or overly vegetal notes other malt liquors do. It does have something like raisin, some sweetness in that regard, and an interesting yeast note. Malts are sweet and bready. It's far from special, but it's not the nasty stuff I think of from most American versions.
The taste is much the same, and the main elements are the raisin-like dark fruits sweetness and interesting, sort of earthy yeast notes. Alcohol is noticeable but doesn't give me the impression of paint thinner like many beers of its kind. There's a grassy note and it even has a little hops bitterness to it, albeit very lightly. This is a good example of a terrible style, by far the best of its kind and all the more so if "best' can be equated with "least offensive."
It's a little slick, and not entirely clean, but it provides a constant crispness and a carbonation that isn't overbearing but doesn't fade off. It's light-bodied, as expected. There is a bit of smoothness to it.

One thing: don't let this sit in your fridge for months or you'll only get the bad. (1,663 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a light golden amber with a thin white head that is active during the pour and then dissipated quickly to a film and ring around the glass. Aroma of sweet malt and undentifiable light estery bandaid or exotic fruit, hints of banana. Flavor is almost uncategorizable, starting off all right with sweet malt, lightly grainy, but developing odd fruit and medicinal flavors. Finishes with sweet malt, with sweet adjunt components and the closest I've had to genuine bandaid in a beer. I've only had hints of this before, so it's almost endearing. Light bodied. The flavors are low key, which actually is a plus, because some of these would not be an asset in higher concentration. As it is, it kind of a very oddly flavored, amped up adjunct beer, so the malt liquor style is the best fit; American malt liquor meets odd, exotic fruits and friends. It was intriguing enough to keep me interested for a whole glass, but probably not a repeat performance. (999 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +74.3%

I had this beer this evening at a local Indian restaurant. I admit I chose it for its name. It came in a 22.5 ounce bottle along with a warm glass beer mug.

It poured a very light golden ale color, hardly distorting the light through the glass. The head was approximately one inch with low carbonation.

The beer smelled earthy and slightly fruity, not what I would expect an American malt to smell like.

The taste, however, is where this beer shined. It tasted quite fruity with a fair malt finish. The fruit was foreign. I could not say specifically what it was, rather citrusy, possibly kumquat? The taste is unlike American and European beers; it had a distinct cider taste, though not from apples.

The mouthfeel was pleasant, not harsh like some malts. Combined with the low carbonation and medium alcohol content, this is quite a pleasing beer.

Overall, I enjoyed this. It was the perfect complement to the meal. I look forward to drinking this again. (962 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a straw yellow color with a lively, big bubble head. Very effervescent. Bright, grassy aroma. Slightly malty taste with an off-balanced bitterness and phenolic, band-aid aftertaste fighting with the alcohol flavor.

A pretty forgettable beer. Lousy taste overall. Good only if you care about relatively high ABV in your brew and nothing about pleasing or acceptable beer taste.

Late note: poured the last 2/3 of the bottle down the drain. Nasty stuff... (460 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I wanted to buy something at this little store off the highway in Delaware. The logo "Go for Monk" caught my eye. This beer is not as bad as I expected and didn't seem soaked in alcohol.

There was a bit of brief head on top of a pale ochre body. Nose is sweet and malty, but not as astringent or soapy as sometimes befits the style. Sweet corn throughout the flavor but not abusively enough to make me wince.

I have fairly low expectations of malt liquor and this strange bottle with its smiling, jowly monk on the label more or less passed them. (550 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +36.7%

Mohan Meatin Limited - Old Monk 10000 Super Beer
"for Sale In U.S.A. Country Only"
No Batch No. / Mfg. Date marked

With a name like "Old Monk 10000 Super Beer" it's got to be good, right?

Appearance: Clear gold body (I can't quite make out my fingerprints through the glass, but it's close). A short head of bright white froth holds well and leaves some nice lacing behind.

Aroma: Yeasty fruitiness. Dark fruit. Raisin. Some sweetish malt. Bread.

Flavor: Fruitiness dominates, displaying sweet dark fruits as well as some fresh grape. Phenols back that up with some spice/clove, vanilla, and a hint of plastic (maybe even a touch of burnt plastic). Canned corn/Dimethyl Sulfide. Some grassiness in the finish may be from hops, but who knows for sure? It's sweetish, overall, from end to end. A moderate bitterness holds it together along with the yeasty spiciness and the alcohol (which hides pretty well while it's cold, but appears once warmed, bringing with it a light note of ethyl acetate/nail polish).

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation. Medium-full body with just a bit of a sugary edge. Smooth, for sure.

Drinkability: For what it is, and I'm not really sure what it is, it's O.K. Is this really a malt liquor made in India for export to the U.S. market? How bizarre is that? And why the Belgian character? But on the other hand, if it is - it kind of works! I like it better than quite a few malt liquors out there. Technically it could be better, but so could most malt liquors. (1,492 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a brown 24 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. This was the high point for this beer. Smell had notes of plastic. Taste is very bad, plastics,sour, is that nyquil, maybe cough syrup, yuck. Feels light and blech in the mouth and is not drinkable. I was able to get through about 16 ounces of this, the rest went down the drain. (355 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +40%

Had this at an Indian Restaurant on Ventura Ave. in LA.

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Clear, bright, and pale with a 1.5 finger white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Faint bright character of some kind of odd sweetness - maybe corn and a slight medicinal band-aidy aroma. Yeast makes an appearance. Then a Sprite-like aroma.

T: Kind of fruity and slightly yeasty at first. Corn and medicinal notes. Sweetish with a dry finish like a bad white wine.

Notes: As an Indian beer I'd say this was pretty good. As a beer in comparison to most other beers. Not very good, but still drinkable. Not the hellish experience most here made it out to be. It washed down my Indian food pretty well... (713 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +46.1%

A malt liquor I've never heard of- a million thanks to pwoody11!

This bottle is labeled 'Imported Old Monk 10 000 SUPER BEER. This beer is made for beer lovers to discover the special taste! For sale in U.S.A. country only.'

650ml bottle into pint glass.

A- 1cm fluffy head with a pale golden clear body. Fizzes out, mild spotty lacing (minimal).

S- Sweet nose, mild cooked corn. Pretty subdued though.

T- Malt sweetness dominates, a bit bready and some more cooked corn. Not bad though. A bit too much cooked corn at times, but it's a minor complaint. Beer is not cloying and doesn't have the rubbing-alcohol taste some malt liquors are known for. A little bandaid-y in the finish.

M- Good carbonation and a bigger body than expected. Alcohol is noticeable but in line with expectations.

D- Easy drinkin'. I like it, and I'd buy one every once in a while. Nice to see malt liquor in a 22oz bottle as it's a pain in the ass to get OE in 22s around here. (964 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Pours a golden amber color with very little head retention.
S: Classic Malt liquor smell.
T: Hint of spice, maybe corriander. Has a pronounced smokey aftertone.
M: Watery.
D: About as drinkable as a 211 Steele Reserve. Having a hard time putting it down, but since my brother bought it, I'm gonna finish it. (311 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -46.9%

Aromas are slightly smoky pale and adjunct malt, a lot of corny sweetness.

The taste is all adjunct, corn, corn, corn. Flavors are all over the place; sweet pale malt up front and an oddly smoky finish that lingers. This is one of the worst beers I have ever had honestly.

Although not entirely unpleasant, it's difficult to finish the entire bottle of this one. Not going to be buying this again. This beer shouldn't be allowed to have a monk on it; Belgian monks would rather drink their own... well you know, than drink this beer. (536 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -9%

A: Against natural lighting appeared a buttery-maize with a pristine sharp clarity. A sudsy bright white head sits atop only briefly before dissipating to a polished surface. Visible carbonation was extremely soft, almost to the point of cask-like, with vastly spaced and separated instances of micro-bubbles that rose in a steady stream like line at a moderate pace. Overall very typical macro-like appearance, which by style is what I guess they were shooting for.

S: Dried corn and a dried butterness is vaguely resembled on the nose. The strength and delivery was so light to the point it could be considered moot, where I struggled to obtain any scent for several minutes like a bloodhound with a runny nose. Stalky green corn stems appear on the fade.

T: Spicy and buttery start to the flavor. Dried corn with instances of green leafy stalks highlight this limited spectrum of flavors. Rating this per style, I would say it is slightly below average on a very good day against other not so good beers per style. A bit of dried white corn appears on the close.

M: A flat and lazy mouthful does little to make me what to hold this any longer then possible. Thought light, it wasn't exactly watery either with a slippery texture, a common theme im seeing in their line of beers.

D: By style, drinkability was below average, there just enough reason to drink this in multiples and have to say I struggled through half a bomber before I threw in the towel. This actually made me respect their other beer "Golden Eagle" a bit more, and isn't an easy thing to do. Epic fail. (1,581 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -14.3%

Old Monk 10000 superbeer was a but of a mystery to me. It was placed next to a few belgian ales in the refrigerated section of my local Indian owned liquor shop. When I asked the owner about it he told me it is an Indian beer and fairly strong. Ever eager to expand my beer experiences, I went ahead and got a bottle.

After drinking this beer, I'm pretty sure I bought the Indian equivalent of Hurricane high gravity malt liquor. The beer is generally as per usual for the style, but there is some really odd aftertaste. I'm hoping that it is the attempt to have a belgian-y yeast flavor, though I can imagine it may be worse things. Not a beverage I would procure again (672 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +8.2%

Any thing that says it is a super beer gets a try, i mean seriously "Super Beer", that is so tough and mean sounding that I need it. But back to reality, this beer poured and looked good, but like most well traveled beers, it ended up tangy and pooh'ey. It has an odd fruity tangy taste to it that could either be honey or "super" juice. I can't say I could finish it, it was odd, at 8% and living in oakland I have better choices and maybe a hooker will hit on me when I buy one of them. Sorry India, next time I go and grab some roti, i'm going with something else. (567 characters)

2.52/5  rDev +2.9%

Just going to start of and say I'm trying to do this to style and give it a fair shake.
Poured into a pint glass, a light yellow/straw color almost clear just slight haze, big bone white head which was very rocky and dissipated in about the time it took me to type the first sentence. Head turned into just a faint wisp foam, generous amounts of carbonation bubbles stream forth from the bottom. The haze and complete lack of head detract from it.
Now the fun part... hey this doesn't smell half bad sweet malts dominate with a hidden bit of cheap alcohol jumping in, hops don't bother looking for them.
The taste follows the nose but that malty sweetness is overly reminiscent of ripe banana finishes bread like but if you soaked in in a drop or two of cheap vodka
Mouthfeel is slightly chewier than water and very carbonated, tingles the tongue for sure.
Drinkability well this was my first Indian beer and I"m sure if it were ice cold and I was in 100 degree India I'd suck it down and smile but I'll save that for the trip I'll never take. This was as torturous as many had made it out to be but I took it for what it was cheap malt liquor.
Who can resist a beer with 10,000 SUPER BEER on the label. (1,205 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -54.3%

I mean, really. How can you not try this beer? Hailing from India. With a Manufacturing Date section clearly on the label...yet blank. Even a blank Batch Number. And the slogan, "Go for Monk". It screams quality.

Visually it is very nice. A clear golden amber with a thick head. But it fizzes out quickly. It smells like a copper penny. Oh, god. The flavor. A copper penny soaked in some sort of medicine. Or maybe floor cleaner. It leaves a fantastic metallic taste on the tongue. And alcohol. 8% never tastes so strong. Reading a couple of other reviews, I figured out what it tastes like. A wet band aid. Seriously. It's a very cheap malt liquor. I guess I'll have to try Old English and compare. But right now I'm pouring this out. (736 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +20%

Appearance pours a light golden with a quick dissipating crisp head. Smell of sweet grains. Taste is like a smoked malt liquor with sweet grainy adjuncts and mild hops. Mouthfeel is light, but with some body to it and good carbonation. It's kind of a unigue twist on a malt liquor, not good, not bad, just different. (316 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -6.9%

Saw this at my local Indian restaurant and had never seen or heard of it before.
With a name like Old Monk, I had no idea what to expect.
Pours a deep golden color with a lot of head and carbonation. No issues there.
Smells really, really sweet. Based upon the nose it seems like some kind of cider/champagne hybrid beer?
Ah...the taste pretty much gives it away. It tastes like Colt 45 with a bunch of candi sugar thrown into it. Boozy, sweet, and rough. As it warms it oddly gets a little better, but this isn't something I'd ever recommend.
Mouthfeel is sticky and finishing a 22oz bottle of this wasn't easy.
This is another one of those weird Indian malt liquors along the lines of India's Special.
Avoid this and in general, avoid Indian lagers over 5% abv. Skip this and grab a Kingfisher or Dansberg instead. While nothing special, they're much better than this stuff. (876 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -47.3%

Picked this up on a recommendation while in the liquor store looking for an Indian beer to go with my meal. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Never had a malt liquor before and didn't know that's what I was getting.

Pours a golden yellow with a thin white head that's gone quickly. It's still got some bubbles flowing up like Champagne, if it kept the head around longer it would actually look good.

The aroma is terrible, some malts in the background, but it's mostly a band-aid medicinal taste. The flavor isn't much better. The malts come through a little more, but the medicinal taste is overpowering. The mouthfeel is dry and pleasant. I could only drink enough to complete this review. The rest of the 22oz bottle is going down the drain. (758 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle to a beer glass-

Look: Clear yellow, visible bubbles, plain white head of modest size

Smell: Smokey and rich

Taste: Smokey all the way through, but not harsh, faint chemical flavors to mask the alcohol (which it does quite well)

Feel: Carbonated and oily

Drink: If you can enjoy the strange but different burnt flavors, it's no hassle to drink it. High alcohol and a lack of complexity would make it hard to down more than one I imagine. (458 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -13.9%

From the 650 ml. bottle with no noticeable lot code or date. Sampled on July 17, 2009.

My gut reaction is that this must be India's answer to OE800. It pours golden-yellow with adequate clarity and a bubbly, short-lived head. Its appearance was probably its best feature. The aroma is a somewhat offensive burnt bread and stale malts mixture. The taste also has a kind of stale malts flavor and it almost tastes like it was there to cover up the obvious alcohol content. This was a difficult beer to finish but I did because I am too much of a cheapskate to pour it down the drain. (583 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -26.9%

It's over 9000! That's alot of zeroes. Been psyching myself up to drink this, the bottle has been sitting on top of the fridge for awhile now, marinating. The gleeful, malicious look in the monk's eye on the label doesn't help...his disdain is palpable for all heathens that may fall for this demon drink.

Ice cold out of the freezer and into a Gaffel stange glass. A few large bubbles at first, like a glass of juice. A steady pour generates a few centimeters of foam. DOA after a minute, it looks just like apple juice. First sips, foul taste of... smoky candle wax? Artificial, filmy feel, it's lack of sweetness betrays the mild sweet apple and smoke aroma. Drainpour. Stay far away from this cursed malt beverage...

"For sale in U.S.A. country only." This has got to be some cruel joke... (796 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -15.5%

Another new to me beer from the asian food markets in the I.D.

First whiff of the aroma was pretty skunky hops. Big negative right off the bat and they linger but not so powerful as that first hit. Lots of base malt aromas but also smells a little like simple table sugar syrup.

Started off with a decent white head but that faded quickly and now I've gopt a glass of pale golden stuff with HUGE carbonation bubbles that hit the surface, float for a moment and then pop. I could drop some ice cube in it and I would swear it's a glass of Schwepps Ginger Ale.

Flavor is very sweet. Again sugary, not so much malty. Oh, there is malt but it is so sweet that it seems more like soda-pop than beer. Light hop bitterness on the back end but not nearly enough. Plus it's a nice clean lager fermentation so there's no spice/ester/fruit that could give it any complexity.

Medium bodied witha high biting carbonation level.

Drinkability? I poured it after half a glass. It really doesn't taste much like a beer, more like a soda. And at 8% I fell like this beer's only purpose is to get drunk. Strong and sweet and so goes down pretty easy, but I don't want it. (1,160 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast