Golden Eagle Beer - Mohan Breweries & Distilleries Ltd

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-12-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.09/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bland ugly looking beer that had done separated sediment. Smell is cloying sweet of corn and honey. Taste is far better than the nose. Tastes of lemon and champagne are bright and zesty leaving a mild vinegar finish. Finishes crisp. Quite fascinating for an adjunct. Really hits the spot with spicy food.

3.81/5  rDev +64.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Golden Eagle Lager Beer has a thick, slightly off-white head, a clear, very bubbly, deep golden appearance, and lots of thick lacing sticking to the sides of the glass. When I swished the bottom and poured, some yeast chunks were seen in the foam, and the foam turned tan (at the top). The aroma is full- pungent, sweet, malty, and noticeable as soon as the cap is popped. The flavor is really strange. There is an overriding charcoal taste in the beer, so it has a pronounced rauchbier character. One will also pick up sweetness, barley malt, and hops, but the smoke is overriding. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Golden Eagle Lager Beer finishes crisp, refreshing, and smoky. Overall, even with the bizarre nature, it is still quite good. Check it out, for an unusual experience.

1.84/5  rDev -20.7%

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high bright white head that quickly died down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There are strange and unpleasant strong aromas of burnt rubber and melted plastic in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of burnt rubber and plastic along with notes medicinal flavors and some smoke along with some hints of cooked corn.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I had a difficult time sampling this beer because its smell and taste of are downright nasty. If you thought skunked beer was bad, this one is at another level.

1.41/5  rDev -39.2%

Found some of this at a liquor a store I frequent. This is my first beer from India. Poured into my pint glass with some vigor and got no head. Pale yellow in color. Nose is extremely faint. Musty and some lemon rind. Taste caught me off guard. I felt like I was sipping something that sat in a ceramic jar in my grandparents basement. A musty/earthy(in a bad way) flavor, similar to saki, that is hard to get through. It then transitions to pennies and a unpleasant dryness. Sadly my $4.24 got poured down the drain.

1.23/5  rDev -47%

Got a bottle of this from a little shop I used to go to. This was a new release for them and the bottle looked like it was over 20 years old. I should have known right then and there to steer clear of this. However I got it and tried it. It was probably one of the grossest beers I've ever had. It was salty... Just straight up salty. I got about half way through it and poured it down the drain. Just gross.

2.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Mohan Meakin Limited - Golden Eagle Lager Beer
No freshness date, but there is a Mfg. Date (MAR 19 - must be almost a year old) and a Batch No. (3815)

The cap opened with a soft hiss. I assumed that there was probably not a lot of carbonation, and tasting it revealed that it does, indeed, have a moderate, very fine bubbled carbonation.

I noticed that there's an odd color to it as poured it. It's golden, but there's something else as well. I don't know if I'd call it pinkish, or perhaps greyish, but there is a certain cast to it, and it appears 'dusty'. It's also a bit hazy, but I expected that. It built a very thin head of white, but that dissipated quickly. With a limited carbonation that's to be at least partially expected, but I'm sure there's more going on than that.

In the nose I found some malt and a touch of grassiness, but it didn't appear fresh at all. In fact, blindfolded I might not even have guessed that it was beer at all. It's not off-putting though, it's just more like an Eastern Bloc lager than a European "Pilsner".

The flavor is interesting, so at least it's got that going for it. It's malty, with a bit of an adjunct side to it (...some kind of unrefined sugar), and some dull, kind of grassy hops. It's also a touch buttery with a hint of DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide/cooked corn) and even a touch of plastic (or is that burnt-plastic?). Obviously there are some fermentation issues to be dealt with, but again, they're not really off-putting. It's hardly bitter, although there is some (probably around 12 IBU's); and it finishes pretty much the way it began but a touch dryer. Oddly, I kind of like the buttery and almost smokey phenolic... it's weird, it's interesting... but it's not a very good example of the kind of beer I believe they were trying to make here. Or perhaps not. Maybe this is exactly what they wanted. It does seem like it would go well with Indian cuisine. And that makes me question whether this is bad at all, or not? Maybe it's good that we have this weird beer. Maybe it's good that there are odd derivations out there. When everyone starts trying to produce the finest European-style golden lager, everything becomes homogenized, and we end up with ONE beer made by everyone. Hmmm... didn't that happen with American lager?

As for the mouthfeel, I did like that. It's light in body, but also a bit sugary, and it appears almost light-medium. The carbonation is soft, and very fine bubbled (there's not much to be released), and it's fairly smooth across the palate despite the lack of body.

Drinkability? It's a light bodied, fairly sweet beer. That gives it a little something. But it's also not quite what you might expect a beer to taste like; and without hop flavor and bitterness it's not particularly refreshing unless you drink it ice-cold. And that's the way it should be 'enjoyed', because the phenolics become more pronounced once it's warmed.

3.49/5  rDev +50.4%

A: poured a light golden orange with pale yellow highlights that had a thin ring of head with very little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: plums and vinous notes greeted me first but had a blend of grains but it had a weird earthy aroma that I could not put my finger on it.

T: the flavor was also big on the plum but had grape accents with good sweet malt backing. It had berry fruit notes to it that might be juniper berries.

M: the brew was light body with a fair amount of carbonation which had. Slight sweet but crisp finish.

D: it drank really good and went even better paired with some shrimp tandoori.

3.29/5  rDev +41.8%

A: Against natural lighting appeared a golden-honey with a brilliant clarity, enough so to easily read the finest of text through. Random instances and burst of carbonation appear while the head was dirty white in color, porous and soapy in appearance, while short in execution.

S: There was a bit of green leafy hopping on the nose, quite pronounced with instances of candy oranges and white sage honey. There is a backup of herbal notes, oranges and a sweet white peppery twang on the finish. Overall sweet but somehow intriguing per style.

T: Sweet honey and corn syrup composes the initial flavor. Oranges, with a warm sweetness of butter scotch and a slight touch of herbal terragon best sums things up. Overall not as interesting nor complex as the nose led you to believe. There is a bit of ripe fruitiness on the finish as well some leafy green hopping. Overall offers a bit more spiciness and flavor complexity then your average American adjunct so ill leave it at that.

M: Light mouthful but feels a bit bigger at times due to the slippery texture and watery honey like feel. Tame carbonation lacks the crispness or should I say "fizziness" that most American adjunct lagers are noted for.

D: Once again, considering by style this was somewhat more bearable then your typical beers offered by BMC. A bit overly sweet certainly limits this in multiples, which sadly is the whole concept of a light lager, so it bears a double edged sword. A bomber pushes my patience and tolerance but I finished it.

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, some malts. Taste is light, a bit of cough syrup flavor, finishing a tad bitter. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a mediocre offering.

2.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Trip to the I.D. always turns up a new beer or two.

REally sugary aroma and not much like malt. In fact, the more I try to pin it down the more I think it smells like brown sugar. No hops to speak of and a little fruit/estery for a lager.

Pale gold with lots of rising carbonation but no head. Has a little hazy apperance too.

Flavor is tough to like. Tastes a lot like honey malt with just the barest amount of bittering hops. It really comes across sweet and lightly malty, again with the sugary emphasis and not malt.

Medium bodied with a light but refreshing carbonation level. The mouthfeel is one of the few positives I can find to say about this beer.

Well it is drikable but more like a soda pop. It's pretty sweet and carbonated and taste not totally unlike beer but the sweetness is really not good.

3.38/5  rDev +45.7%

A: Pours a slightly murky pale straw body with almost no head.
S: Sweet malts, corn, and honey.
T: The honey comes through pretty strong, with a sweet corn flavor following. Finishes with a scotch-like bitterness.
M: Pretty standard; good level of carbonation, good cold.
D: Again, pretty average. So far probably one of my favorite lagers to have with Indian food.

1.21/5  rDev -47.8%

This might be hands down the worst beer I have ever had.

I really hope that I just got a bad bottle.

poured clear and yellow with a very minimal white head.

Not much in the way of aroma. An odd smell that I couldn't place.

Tasted...by the way I place the smell...like iodine! Second taste...same thing.

To be honest, I could get past that. I have no idea what the mouthfeel was like. I would have to say that the drinkability was poor.

I hope I just got a bad bottle.

2.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Clear and gold with fizz/carbonation. Tiny head

Aroma: Something smoky.

Taste: Sweetish, and the smoke thing comes along as well..either way, its not a pleasant combination. Its not terribly offensive, but I wouldn't go around praising this.

Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated..not much else. Goes down okay

Drinkability: Taste is mediocre, mouthfeel is similar to most cheap macros..where do I stand in line?!? It goes down okay. If its there, I guess I'll go for it, but otherwise, I wouldn't recommend this.

2.57/5  rDev +10.8%

Purchased in a six pack from the local BevMo, chilled for two weeks, and served in a pilsner glass. I'll just cut to the chase - I normally don't read other reviews before I personally review a beer, but I didn't know quite how to describe the taste. If there is any one thing the taste reminds me of, it's the Lysol disinfectant that used to come in the brown bottle here in the states. The rest of the factors about this beer are pretty much average. I can't really think of any occasion where I'd want to consume this beer again. I might give the rest to friends to see the reaction on their faces as they take their first sip.

3.3/5  rDev +42.2%

Thanks to xnoxhatex for sharing this.

Transparent gold, visible carbonation, with fizzy foam that settled to a thin ring. Honey sweetness in the aroma, with an unusual note of smoke.

Flavor was much like a smoked Helles. The aftertaste was clean, with a dry finish that followed the oddly phenolic smoky taste. Some honey and grain husk. Fairly low carbonation, thin but not unpleasant. I would give this another chance if I saw it. This wasn't as bad as some other reviews made it out to be.

1.83/5  rDev -21.1%

650 ml bottle:

Pours bright, clear straw yellow with a thin white head that lasts a few seconds before vanishing.

The smell is some husk, a bit soapy, something oddly smokey-ish.

The taste is sweet - in an artificial sweetener sort of way, soapy, some wet cardboard. As is progresses there is an odd smoky touch that seems out of place. It's not quite as pronounced as in some other offerings from India, but is enough to be out-of-line with the style, and along with other flaws in here, this just ends up being something rather of a mess. Lightly sweet, with almost no bitterness in the weak, fizzy finish.

Light-bodied and rather fizzy, the aftertaste - thankfully mild - is not very pleasant.

Almost half-way through, I considered "drain pour", but I managed through it - something of an achievement. This is not one I would recommend trying - weak, soapy, wet-cardboardish, rather fizzy, a bit smoky - rather a mess all-in-all.

1.85/5  rDev -20.3%

A-Poured a rich amber-yellow w/some sediment. Formed a weak head that rapidly disappeared.
S-At first when cold, aromas of band-aid and medicinal character. As it warmed, smokier sweet malt aroma emerged with faint apple.
T-Band-aid and plastic/medicinal phenols dominate, but there is also a slightly sweet pleasant malt in the background.
M-Overall mouthfeel is not bad...a little heavy-bodied for the style, fine carbonation, and good balance of sweet and dry. The mouthfeel is this beer's best attribute, but the nose and taste are so off it isn't enough to redeem it.
D-Pretty bad. I paired it with spicy Indian curry w/shrimp (tasted beer both before, while, and after eating).

1.71/5  rDev -26.3%

Pale golden with plenty of carbonation racing up to a thin white head. Not much head but it sticks around.

The smell is very unusual. Smells smokey to me, not the usual smoke you find in beer but almost a burnt rubber or plastic aroma. Never smelled anything like it, and it is a bit harsh.

The taste starts with a macro lager like sweetness, but quickly becomes the same as the smell. I've never tasted anything like it. It certainly isn't good, but it also isn't quite as offensive as one might expect.

Fairly typical macro lager type mouthfeel. Thin and fizzy. Not quite to the point of watery though.

Won't finish it, I'm a bit afraid of what could possibly generate its unique flavour.

1.48/5  rDev -36.2%

Another beer of the world sample..from India no less. The last Indian beer sucked, let's see if this one scores any better. Poured a clear, amber color. Very fizzy with no real head retention what so ever. Aroma is, as 1 reviewer put it, funky. Mostly a mollassess smell, no doubt the 'sugar' put in the recipe. I didn't care for it.

YUCK!. Easliy the worst tasting beer I have ever had. An almost medicinal taste, very similar to a weak disinfectant, Dettol, or something. There is a faint hint of malt that breifly coats the tongue and some hop that bites, but I can't get past the initial taste. Mouthfeel is maybe a bit thin, but given that it's from a warm climate that may be understandable.

I know you are not supposed to slam beer, but I tink this 1 gives a person a reason.

3.06/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

another special at Beers of the world $ 1.57..., i was scared to try another Indian 1,but...here it goes; it pours a pale yellow w/ aslight head which dissapates quickly, little lacing ; winey, slightly hoppy spice aroma, macro-type malt aroma throughout ; flavor, more of the same, a vinegar-like tang w/ a ricey malt prof.,watered down taste, a tiny bit of hop in there ; lite thin body, but perfect for the style ; not bad for an Am. macro-style, better than some A-B stuff...

3.72/5  rDev +60.3%

Part of my beer of the world gift

12 oz bottle pours an effervescent golden/bronze with 2 fingers of fluffy head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Smokey notes?? Is this some sort of factory defect I'll love, will have to check other reviewers after I post

T: Smokey with some sweet honey malts up front. Butterscotch notes sneak in as this warms along with some lemon hops. finishes grainy with smokey notes & lemony hops

MF: Medium bodied with light carbonation

Drinks very easy. Sucks as an american macro has posiblities as a smoked helles!

P.S. only one other reviewer picked up the smokeyness, so I'd say try this at your own risk! I enjoyed this

1.06/5  rDev -54.3%

Bought locally for $2.00 a 650ml bottle. Pours pale yellow color, like any macro lager. Can't smell much but a weird sweet funk. Taste? Oh my gawd, starts sweet but immediatly goes to this weird ass plastic flavor. No I don't eat plastic on a regular basis but this is the closest I can't come to describing the flavor, and it stays in your mouth. Overall this is shit, if I ordered this at a restaraunt I would have them send this shit back. Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc. All the big macros could have a field day in the advertising dept. Hey at least we don't taste like Golden Eagle Lager. If I had my choice of drinking this beer again and being kicked in the nuts, I'll go for the kick, repeaditly!! Drainpour it goes!!

2.53/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden Eagle Lager
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a light orange bronze color with mini carbonation. Thin white lace crown on top.

The nose is faint. Some whiffs of grains and sweetness.

Slighty carbonated pressured mouthfeel. Sweet toasted grain and corn flavors with a sugary corn syrup blast.

This beer tastes just a little "off". Better the colder it is and drinkable, but not recommended.

3.29/5  rDev +41.8%

Pours a clear pale golden color with a fizzy white head that quickly vanishes without a trace. Nose is sweet grains and a bit of fresh apples—quite unusual. Taste begins with a light fruitiness and notes of wildflower honey leading to a touch of hop bitterness and a dry finish. An interesting beer and one that I would probably order the next time I’m dining at an Indian restaurant.

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bought from a newly found liquor store in a part of town that, shall we say, has had a depressed economy for a long time; the (Indian looking) owner saw my 2 Indian beers (among several others) and pointed to the other one and told me how much I would like it. Didn't say a word about this one. Hmmm...

I've never heard of this one, that's why I bought it. The label tells me that it is "The legendary beer of India", that it's 650 ml, that it's made in India, for sale in U.S.A., 4.8% ABV, and that it's the winner of gold medals at Monde Selection, 1982, 1983.

Pours a very US macro-like very pale yellow, with a medium white head of vary large bubbles tha settles quickly into a thin film that stays awhile, as it is fed by a modicum of carbonation. "Modicum", I love that word... but I digress...

Aroma is of grains, grains and more grains. Nothing more. Nothing exciting there at all.

Flavor isn't bad, but it is very macro-like in its weakness. I would say it's a bit more full and robust than American macros, with grain, lightly sweetened, lightly toasted. Corn-flake like. Maybe a touch of hops at the end, but not enough to notice.

Mouthfeel- eh.

I would probably like this one ok on a hot day, or during my trip to India (some day....), but all I can say is that I'm glad I tried it.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast