Three Threads Porter 2003 - Bayhawk Ales

Three Threads Porter 2003Three Threads Porter 2003

rAvg: 3
Bayhawk Ales visit their website

American Porter |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 01-17-2004)
Reviews by Rumrunner:
2.3/5  rDev -23.3%

1qt 1.8oz flip top bottle. 2003 vintage.

Is this a porter? I was fooled.

I poured this into a cognac style glass. A nice dark brown with a beige head and some scattered and good lacing. Scents are very nice. Sweet caramel. Some mild sour fruit and a good brownie bready scent.

I wish this tasted like the scents. I have no idea what is going on here. This bottle was purchased at Hi-Times and went straight from there to my fridge. All should be fine. Except, this is so sour I do not want to call it a porter. A very sour green apple flavor. It has a spoiled flavor to it. Not skunked but just extremely sour. There are no hops, no chocolate or bread. It is sour. A slight dark fruit flavor tries to save the porter but gets lost so quickly that it becomes insignificant. A sour aftertaste lingers and then turns in to a flattened spoiled cereal flavor. Not good. The cereal has been left out too long. Just ruinous.

It drinks with a bad sour bite. Unfriendly and uninspired. Somewhat watery and with no interesting qualities.

Is this a porter? It is nothing like the porters I truly enjoy. I am not saying Bayhawk should try to copy a porter from another company but try to come up with something in the porter range. I have never had a porter with as sour a taste as this. It is mind boggling. This porter brings sadness to my palate. How can it smell nice and taste so bad? Questions questions.

I will be curious to read other reviews of this porter. I enjoy porters but this one has me grabbing a different beer out of the fridge.

Rumrunner, Jan 17, 2004
3.7/5  rDev +23.3%

Bottle 881 from 2003, Sampled March 2007
Pours a blackish, dark, chocolate brown color with a fat-one-finger thick brownish tan colored head. The aroma smells of coffee and smoky phenolic notes as I pour this brew into my glass. Upon deeper inspection the aroma takes on a rich, almost dusty, chocolate note and a dark, sweet maltiness that in combination evoke thoughts of chocolate malt ball candies. Clearly some of these aromatic notes are derived from the age of this brew; also notes of rum, port and perhaps even a touch of the sweeter character from tamari are noticeable.

The taste is quite dry, with a sour edge to it that makes me think of lactic acid. This acidity could just be residual notes left from the roasted-type malts used in this brew, but I am not too sure. Up front this beer has a soft, palate coating maltiness, though it ultimately yields to a lightness in the finish that is derived from the acidity in the finish. I actually don't think that the acidity is from any sort of infection, I think it mostly has to do with how this beer has aged, and the fact that my palate might be particularly sensitive to it right now. There are not funky notes here that might be indicative of something wayward. Dry, chalky, cocoa powder notes; touches of burnt plums; flavors reminiscent of coffee that has been left a touch too long on the hot plate all of these flavors and more that I can't quite pull out make up the flavor of this brew.

The aroma is actually quite intriguing, yet the flavor does not live up to that initial promise. Still this is an interesting beer to sample, and I definitely would still buy a bottle of this to try in hindsight.

Gueuzedude, Apr 23, 2007
Three Threads Porter 2003 from Bayhawk Ales
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.