2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

California Pale Ale - Bayhawk Ales

California Pale AleCalifornia Pale Ale

Bayhawk Ales visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-27-2003)
View: Beers (20) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 42 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by tyanow:
tyanow

1.18/5  rDev -64.9%

Do you like olive oil in your beer? If you do, bottoms up, you'll dig this stuff.

Had it at a beer tasting and I literally couldn't get myself to take a second sip. The bottle may have been rancid. I am not always a big fan of Bayhawk beers, but they are usually drinkable and at least somewhat enjoyable.

A - cloudy yellow/gold

S - olive oil and undercooked grains

T - olives

2beerdogs

07-24-2013 19:25:48 | More by 2beerdogs
Beerney

1.73/5  rDev -48.5%

To start...a little about me to put this review in context. I am a homebrewer. I think that I'm a good home brewer. i read reviews on BA all the time, but this is only the second review that I've written. I like supporting small brewies. When I saw this beer I was excited because I had never heard of Bayhawk Ales. The reason that this beer moved me to write a review is beacuse it infuriates me when I pay a premium price for beers that are not as good as my homebrew. I paid $5 for a 22, which is pretty standard for a craft brew, but still expensive when you consider that it equates to about a $15 6-pack. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly pay $5 for a little strange.

This beer is cloyingly sweet, which is magnified by the very orangey Amarillo hop aroma. It tastes like a mixture of malt liquor and OJ. I think that I will save the rest for tomorrow to see if it tastes any better for breakfast.

To sum up my review, if I made this beer at home, I would not serve it to my friends. I would love to tell you that I'd dump it down the drain, but that might be a little strong given that I have cases and cases of home brew that i won't drink, but can't bring myself to pour down the drain.

This beer re-enforces everything that I know about the State of California. The bay area kicks ass. The central coast is great. Once you get south of Santa Barbara, everyting is shitty until you get to San Diego.

03-10-2013 09:11:08 | More by Beerney
DoubleJ

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

When I think Bayhawk, I think of a brewer who produces "house beers" for restaurants like Lazy Dog, Claim Jumper, and Lucille's, not the one who brews and bottles under their name. Going down the road of pale ale, and 22 ounces is a good quantity to drink. On to the beer:

The color could be confused of the amber ale style, as its a light copperish and orange color. The head forms an inch thick, leaving a few strings of lace. It has a fair nose, no confusion of what it's trying to be. There's a lemon and leafy hop note, and also a kiss of honey. Could score higher if the intensity weren't so soft.

Clean character. Kiss of crisp hops and crisp carbonation. These are things that I appreciate in a pale ale, and are found in Bayhawk's California Pale Ale. Its biggest flaw is that the flavor's intensity is relatively weak, but that's better than having a bunch of off-flavors. A gentle snap of citrus hops hit first, followed by a slight lemon flavor. Minerals add an interesting layer to this pale ale. Easy drinking overall, which keeps this beer flowing into my mouth and not down the drain.

In a market filled of pale ales, this one finishes just below the middle, which is not to say you won't enjoy this brew. This pale ale's approach is clean, easy to drink, with a kiss of flavor.

02-04-2013 07:03:16 | More by DoubleJ
EdTheEdge

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

01-30-2013 01:32:01 | More by EdTheEdge
austincsuf

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pretty decent beer although not overly impressed, would drink again however because the taste is smooth and refreshing and definitely easy to drink..wasn't really knowing what to expect with a CPA, definitely lighter than your regular IPA but at the same time the CPA had fruity notes and a smoother finish

12-27-2012 04:20:17 | More by austincsuf

jenray

11-20-2011 03:59:50 | More by jenray
DovaliHops

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a slightly cloudy, golden orange color with a medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is lightly hopped with some grain and subtle malt aromas. A little bit of earthiness as well. Taste is a nice balance of malt and hops with faint grapefruit and citrus flavors. Finishes with light bitterness and lemon. Mouthfeel is light bodied with interesting (off-putting?) finish. Drinkability is fair. Overall, this is not a bad pale ale. It is by far not one of the best, but it is a descent offering.

08-29-2011 06:27:44 | More by DovaliHops
imagese

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

This is my 2nd go around on tasting this brew, and my 1st review on BA. Going to take some time to really convey my thoughts... Gotta love A.D.D.!!!

Appearance: A nice cloudy orange. Very little head, even with a hard pour.

Smell: Very citrusy nose. A little earthy hop

Taste: Very nice citrus splash with a nice bitter rind and a little hop bitterness kick in the aftertaste. Notes from 1st bottle had a very strong citrus presence

Mouthfeel: This bottle was very low on carbonation. Had more of a watery feel than the 1st bottle.

Drinkability: This is a very sessionable beer. Bitter enough to please hopheads in a pinch (or on a budget), and smooth enough to enjoy all night

Serving type: bottle ($2.99 bomber from Hi-Time)

Overall, this is a decent beer, especially for the price.

11-01-2010 21:14:21 | More by imagese
bs870621345

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

Got this from my dad who bought it on a whim in CA. Cheap bomber and pretty good.

Pours a honey color with 2 inches of white head. Leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells bready and slight citrus. Not a huge smell.

Tastes slightly bitter with a sweet bread to balence. A very well balanced beer and good tasting too.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and moderate body.

Drinkability is high. Bomber is not a problem and its low enough in alcohol to be easily drank.

10-17-2010 02:09:26 | More by bs870621345
chickencoop

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Boy the reviews are all over the board, pretty rough sometimes, i guess i got lucky and got a good bottle. I picked this up at the Whole Foods/ Tustin, awesome selection of beers. I liked the cloudy pour, chunky bit's at the bottom, smell was average, taste and drinkability was great, just a smooth, lightly malted pale ale, I would more than likeley buy this again and be happy, keep it up.

04-21-2010 04:37:27 | More by chickencoop
beagle75

Iowa

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

22 oz. bomber tasted the day after receipt from the hands of the Bayhawk bottle rep. and poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy deep golden color, with a 1.5-finger head and slight lacing.

S: Weak to moderate, delicate malt and floral hops.

T: Begins with a gentle malty sweetness, then the hops (simcoe, centennial, and amarillo) emerge. According to the Bayhawk rep., IBUs on this beer are 40-50, which seems accurate. The sweetness of the malt re-emerges at the end, with minimal bitterness in the finish.

M: Wet and light-bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Good drinkability and low-moderate abv makes this a likely session-beer candidate. The delicate aromas and flavors of this pale ale ally it with others such as Mirror Pond and Mt. Tam, although it falls just short of equaling either. Bayhawk aims to produce "easy-drinking" beers and that term can be used to accurately describe this beer.

It has come to my attention that bottled Bayhawk beers frequently suffer from a bad reputation due to old, mishandled stock. Although I cannot speak for all of their styles, this beer--when fresh--is worthy of better. You may think twice about purchasing Bayhawk beers from retail outlets that keep it at ambient temperature (or at least inquire about the age of the bottle).

12-07-2009 03:52:24 | More by beagle75
jwc215

Wisconsin

22 oz. bottle:

Pours hazed golden with a nice fluffy head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of light citrus and a touch of sour fruit and a bit bready.

The taste is of a light citric and herbal/metallic bitterness mixing with a sweet pale maltiness. A bit bready. A lemony tart touch.

It's light-bodied, pretty thin.

Not what I expected for a pale ale from California. It's pretty thin with a slightly metallic touch and a general blandness. The tart/sour touch doesn't excite me, either. Still-in-all the mildness/lightness makes it pretty easy to drink.

03-18-2009 02:49:23 | More by jwc215
orangemoustache

1.65/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This pours a coppery orange with a huge head that is so tall it's starting to piss me off. The head stands a good three inches over the one inch of beer in the bottom,it is creamy and looks pretty nice,I just wish it would go away so I can try to enjoy this offering. Seriously,does this have to be this carbonated? The nose is a little malty with sour notes,no hop is noticed,also smells like plastic. Okay,the head has finely receded to leave a huge glob of lacing on my snifter,it is seriously as big as Tom Sellecks moustache and in the same shape,wtf? This is not that good,the head is somewhat entertaining,though I would trade the laughs for a decent tasting beer right now. This is just kind of sour and under hopped. Maybe it has spoiled? Maybe this is how it's suppose to taste? Maybe they should have a date to drink by printed on the bottle,that would be nice. This has way to much carbonation anyway and not a good mouthfeel or drinking experience. If ya can't get this stuff to the Midwest fresh,don't send it.

12-12-2008 05:46:01 | More by orangemoustache