Bed Head Imperial Coffee IPA - Monday Night Brewing

Bed Head Imperial Coffee IPA
No picture uploaded.

Monday Night Brewing visit their website
Georgia, United States

(Beer added by: khargro2 on 05-14-2014)
Reviews by QuentinCall:

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a very pleasant surprise, and I'd like to see other brewers take a stab at a coffee IPA.

I'm a fan of coffee based stouts, but I was unsure how a coffee profile would mix the piney hoppy citrusy-ness of an IPA. The combination actually works very well. You get the light bitterness of the hops blended with a coffee bitterness, but still with that nutty coffee flavor. It's a very nice balance actually. The mouthfeel was also very light.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: handsome, clear copper-gold. Full off white head that leaves loads of lingering lacing.
Smell: pungent coffee and hops up front, both holding their own. This is truth in advertising....May not be it's on category but it's a bonafide coffee ipa.
Taste: hops take over here. Coffee trying but no match for the hops on their turf. Still, and interesting taste.
Overall: very nice.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Bed head imperial coffee ipa
Monday night brewing
Double ipa
8.4 % ABV

APPEARANCE: Pours a clear dark amber. Instantly reminded me of the color of sun tea my mom used to brew on our porch when I was a kid. A big fluffy, frothy kaki colored head with a ton of retention.

AROMA: Was expecting to get a huge hit of coffee but surprisingly I get none at all. Instead I get a nice malty bouquet that breaks open into a resiny pine hop profile. A little bit of dark fruits I'm picking up as well. Not what I was expecting from a coffee ipa but still a very nice nose.

TASTE: This is such a strangely unique beer. Starts off tasting like a proper dipa with a nice west coast flavor profile. Get the grapefruit, and piney hop right away with a nice bit of floral bitterness then when you swallow it's literally tastes like an ice coffee. There is a slight bready malty backbone that kinda introduces that crazy iced coffee finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium body and medium carbonation. The coffee addition adds a nice dry bitter finish.

OVERALL: Such an interesting beer I really had no idea what to expect. The coffee and hops really do go well together with the earthy and floral flavors that are mixed in. The alcohol is hidden so well. Very easy drinking and for sure recommended for ipa and coffee lovers!

RATING: 4/5 Zombie Heads!

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 9.99. No bottling date but this is a fresh May 2014 release. Served in a Monday Night snifter.

Pours a deep but clear ruby chestnut with two and a half fingers of ecrue head which linger before eventually settling to a thin haze, leaving only a few specks of lace.

A strong whiff of coffee dominates the nose with aromas of earthy floral and slightly piney hops and some soft bready malt mixed in.

Coffee flavors rule the roost here. Followed by floral bitterness, grapefruit peel, earthy pine, caramel, mildly nutty, a roastiness slightly akin to burnt pie crust and a tiny nip of booze. The coffee is the real star but there are a good bit of seemingly English style hops on a solid malt base. Very little perceivable alcohol.

Medium full, almost sticky feel with moderate carbonation. Coffee, floral hops and slight caramel finish.

To me this is a coffee beer first and foremost. There are definately a good bit of hops in here but they are not of the citrus, fruity and piney variety that I prefer in my imperial IPAs. I do enjoy the robust coffee flavor and this is probably my favorite of Monday Night's "hoppy" releases thus far. Try it if you're a fan of coffee but not to get your hop fix.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Riedel tulip. The liquid is a dark amber - much darker than an IPA, but much lighter than all other beers with coffee I can think of. So I guess this is exactly what I would guess if you mixed coffee with an IPA. It's not the most appetizing color though, but I suppose that comes down to preference. The pour kicks up a really nice khaki head that lingers for a while and leaves really nice lacing on the glass.

Not really sure what to make of the aroma - I definitely get some sticky, resiny hops, and there's a big time malt profile, but I don't get all that much coffee per se. There's some dark fruit underneath that could be a super fruity African bean if I really think about it. There's also a weird "off" sourness that I'm not sure was intended. There are definitely some good things in the aroma, but they don't really work that well together...

The flavor is also very, very strange. It starts out with some citrusy and resiny hops, but they quickly take a backseat to the coffee, which, like the nose, is very dark and fruity, rather than roasty and bitter. The hops do add some bitterness on the back of the tongue, and I keep feeling confused to have some coffee flavors and some bitterness, but almost no roast character. Still, the dark fruit from the coffee and the citrus fruit from the hops do make some interesting harmonies. Unfortunately, the "off" sour flavor is lurking on the palate as well, bringing the overall experience down a bit.

The mouthfeel is moderately thick, with a decent amount of carbonation. About what I would expect from an imperial IPA, and the coffee doesn't really change it much.

Overall, it's a really interesting beer, and I'm happy it's there, but hopefully they can iron out the kinks and put it out again. The hops and the coffee do go together surprisingly well, but I thought they wouldn't go together at all, so almost anything would have been surprising. The coffee character is my favorite thing about this beer - even if it doesn't go as well as it could with some of the other stuff, they really got the coffee right here, and I am a coffee snob. I will definitely be on the lookout for future coffee beers from Monday Night.

2.25/5  rDev -42%