Jack's Abby / Evil Twin Jack's Evil Brew - Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby / Evil Twin Jack's Evil BrewJack's Abby / Evil Twin Jack's Evil Brew

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: bleeps on 12-20-2013

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jack's Abby / Evil Twin Jack's Evil Brew Alström Bros

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Smelled like a bowl of oatmeal. Dark, oaty, sweet. Aged for a year or so. I was socializing with friends while I was drinking it so I didn't feel like it was appropriate to excuse myself to delve nto my phone to write a review. That's the type of behavior that perpetuates a negative (read:hipster) image of us beer geeks amongst those who don't populate this site. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the nuances and flavor notes now that I have time to be on my phone. However, BA won't let me simply add the beer to my list in a manor that allows me to simply remember how much I liked it or not without writing a review. So here's the review... It would be nice to be able to use this site in whatever manor I choose. I've added over 600 beers to my list, and visit the site daily. I rate them in a way that allows me to keep track and remember my overall impression of it without having to major in English literature, especially when I'm with company- which is the best way to drink good beer-- and the worst for being sucked into your phone.

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

16.9oz bottle purchased as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a dense 1/4" tan head over the slightly cloudy reddish brown brew. Head holds as is, with sporadic slow-falling lace. Aroma is roasty and sweet.

Taste starts where the nose left off, sweet and malty through and through, balanced to the end. Very smooth mouthfeel, and drinkability is great. Would search out again.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a rather unimpressive brew here considering the collaborators. a schwarzbier type, with a hit of smoke to the finish and a nice rich creamy feel that in typical jack abby fashion, hides the fact that its a lager really well. hazy soft brown, less black than the style usually shows, but sporting a tall cream colored head that has pretty good lasting power. the nose on this is smokey to me, slightly peppered, and only minimally roasty. so much more going on in the malt flavors than most of these beers. smoke mostly in the finish, stays subtle but quite evident. there is a dark baked bread middle to this, giving it a little richness and substance to the feel, before the lager yeast cleans up. some lingering grain not hop bitterness as it closes out. not bad and kind of interesting, but i just expect these two brewers to blow me away everytime, and this comes way short of that high mark. a totally drinkable and tasty beer though, just not up to the high bar they have both set.

Jack's Abby / Evil Twin Jack's Evil Brew from Jack's Abby Brewing