Boston Steam Pie - Jack's Abby Brewing

Massachusetts, United States

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jsmick on 01-18-2014

4.81/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer was just released at the brewery, and is Jack Abby's take on California Common. It is brewed with vanilla, lactose and cocoa nibs, and then warm fermented.

Appearance: Very light light and cloudy, but very appealing

Smell: Chocolatey and a little bit funky, extremely unique

Mouthfeel: This is a thin beer with low carbonation, but it works well with the beer.

Taste: This beer just tastes awesome. It is light, thirst quenching, chocolatey, with a bit of sweetness, and then a slight bitter kiss of bittering hop on the end note to balance it all out.

Overall, this beer is awesome. I personally would like to see it with a bit more carbonation next time, but overall, it is tasty, unique, and thirst quenching with a low alcohol content. I could drink a growler of this by myself. (800 characters)

4.12/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Enjoyed at Jack's Abby, poured into a tasting glass.

Appeared a very light, cloudy golden color with a jet white nitro-induced head.

Smell was very mild. Slight chocolate teddy-graham smell. Almost a whipped cream like scent to it as well.

At first taste I wasn't too into it, but as I let the precious liquid roll around on my tongue a bit I became more impressed. It is very subtle, but you can truly pick out the chocolate, vanilla, and custard-like qualities in this one. Very unique - haven't tasted anything like this one before.

Mouthfeel was very light, but that's what they are going for.

Interesting beer for sure. I'd like it to have a little more "oomph" though I believe they hit it exactly how they wanted it given the style. The flavor grew on me quite a bit and writing this is making me salivate for more...oh dear. (838 characters)

Boston Steam Pie from Jack's Abby Brewing
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.