Hoponius Union - Jack's Abby Brewing

Hoponius UnionHoponius Union

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Lager |  6.70% ABV

This lager harmoniously combines lager yeast fermentation and west coast IPA hops. Our India style Pale Lager is like a traditional IPA but with a twist - it’s fermented cold and aged for extended periods. A blend of classic American hops creates a huge tropical fruit and citrusy hop aroma. A dry finish accentuates the pleasant bitterness and hop profile. Hoponius Union uses locally grown dehulled spelt from MA.

(Beer added by: mschofield on 08-07-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoponius Union Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Hophead717, Aug 03, 2014
4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - No head, quickly disappears, golden-honey color.

S - Citrus hop aroma.

T - Citrus hops up front, clean and a little dry finish.

M - Fairly carbonated. A little dry, not filling or heavy or bitter. Crisp.

I'm sick so it probably affects my tastes considering how much the aroma of this beer is supposed to be really great. It's crisp and easy to drink but the taste doesn't hit too hard.

ericdavidmorris, Aug 03, 2014

TheOldMachines, Aug 02, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

diehlio, Aug 02, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Glass Used: Nonic

Appearance: Golden honey hue, and a finger of fast evaporating foam.

Smell: Citrusy and hoppy; I also get whiffs of papaya sweetness.

Taste: Citrus hop note, followed immediately by grapefruit and lemon zest. Sweet grain dances around in the middle and back. Finishes with a slight bittering hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation; dry finish

Overall: A pretty tasty treat from Jack's Abby. I really liked how well the hop and citrus flavors melded and flowed across the tongue. Wish I had regular access to this beer. Definitely recommend.

darthvohn, Jul 31, 2014

AmericaGWShark, Jul 29, 2014

JohnofUpton, Jul 29, 2014
4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

By now everyone knows the quality brewing going on with lagers at Jack's Abby, and the locally sourced ingredients fueling their beers. Hoponius Union has a nice bite at the beginning, but mellows out with subtle sweet flavors resembling grapefruit mixed with almost a nutmeg richness. It's easy to drink 2-3 of these at a sitting. A nice substantial taste, but not overly filling. One of my favorite beers of all time.

RLBeauregard, Jul 28, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into my HF wine glass.

Appeared a beautiful golden-orange color with a two finger fluffy white head that dissipated.

Smell is awesome - juicy with citrus fruits and a bit of melon.

Taste is incredible. Juicy oranges and grapefruits.

Mouthfeel is beautifully crisp - just the right amount of hop bitterness on the finish. Carbonation is spot on.

Overall an amazing beer, one that I am happy to have regular access to.

TWStandley, Jul 28, 2014

Kretzro921, Jul 25, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

cultclassic89, Jul 25, 2014
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The bottle backlog here at Chez Woody is not entirely of my doing. Sometimes, people bring me beer as though I need more and then I become overwhelmed by it all. This is one of those instances. The Great Bottle Eradication of 2014 continues in earnest and unabated!

From the bottle: "Jack's Abby Brewing's goal is to create truy remarkable beer that combines the strict standards of traditional German brewing with the innovative approach of American craft brewers. We specialize in lagers, which take longer to brew than ales but yield exceptionally rich flavors and smooth, crisp taste."; "All Jack's Abby lagers are unfiltered and unpasteurized. Sediment in the bottle is normal."; "Hoponius Union harmoniously combines lager yeast fermentation and West Coast IPA hops. Our India style Pale Lager is like a traditional IPA but with a twist - it's fermented cold and aged for long periods. A blend of classic American hops creates a huge tropical fruit and citrusy hop aroma. A dry finish accentuates the pleasant bitterness and hop profile. Hoponius Union uses locally sourced ingredients."

I made a solemn promise to The Old Lady last summer that if a beer in any way indicates that it is bottle-conditioned, I would treat it as gently as I would her. The fact that she would beat my ass within an inch of my life if I ever mistreated her notwithstanding, I went with a VERY gentle pour. I have said before, she is as tough as nails, which is part of the attraction for me. I got a brief skim of bone-white head across the top of the beer before it faded into mere wisps. Color was a sunshine-yellow (SRM = 4) with just the faintest of haze visible in the glass. I promise you, I was extremely gentle, but there may have been something in suspension. Nose smelled deeply of citrus-grapefruit rind hops. Wow! As a lifelong Pennsylvanian, I know the difficulty behind making a Lager and to make one that comes off with this level of hoppiness is just amazing. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was all hops and for a hophead, that was just fine by me. I cannot say that I would have identified it as a lager of any stripe, but perhaps that is part of the mystique. I do know that the light, spritzy mouthfeel made it very easy to drink on a Summer day, where an AIPA might have been more to handle. The finish was extremely dry and I really had a tough time believing that this was a lager. I had put the remainder of what was left in the bottle back in the reefer to settle and when I went to pour some more into the glass, I noticed that the haze had cleared! Impressive. Warming, I got some of the honey notes that I always think of as characteristic of well-made lagers, but the hops continued to carry the day.

woodychandler, Jul 24, 2014