Hoponius Union - Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Lager |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: mschofield on 08-07-2011

This lager harmoniously combines lager yeast fermentation and west coast IPA hops. Our India style Pale Lager is like a traditional IPA but with a twist - it’s fermented cold and aged for extended periods. A blend of classic American hops creates a huge tropical fruit and citrusy hop aroma. A dry finish accentuates the pleasant bitterness and hop profile. Hoponius Union uses locally grown dehulled spelt from MA.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoponius Union Alström Bros
Reviews: 323 | Hads: 2,340
4.16/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- this looks your archetypical beer. Between gold and amber in color with a 2 finger white head on top, this is what everyone imagines when they hear the word beer.

S- a slight but not overwhelming nose of citrus and pine up front. Not much else. (i do have a bit of a head cold though)

T- the citrus isn't as strong here as in the nose. I pick up spicier earthier hops in the front and finish. Citrus is more toward the middle of the sip. The malt body keeps it balanced though it feels like more could have been done with it.

Mf- I could comfortably drink this all day. Light body and clean finish make for an incredibly drinkable beer.

I could drink this beer any time and be absolutely happy. A well done lager, which should be a model to others in the style. (768 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle poured into GI tulip stem

Pour: Honey orange color and cloudy look. The head was a solid 2 fingers of fluffy, soft looking white with both some small and medium bubbles within. The lacing left behind is something to behold as it clings to the glass from the top to the surface of the beer. A sparse soft pillow is left on the surface.

Smell: If I didn't read the label of this beer as being a Pale Lager I would have said this is a great smelling IPA or pale ale with big hops. A big hop forward smelling beer with pine, grapefruit and some grassy notes. Upon subsequent sniffs I get some more of the citrus with orange and pineapple.

Taste: A fairly bitter forward beer with an astringent quality but in a good way. There is an initial hit of bready notes but that is quite fleeting as the hoppy bitterness takes hold right away. Grapefruit rind with big pine taste and bitterness throughout. The finish is very bitter and dry and the burps are even bitter.

Mouthfeel: Light body and very drinkable even with the high level of bitterness. A bit thin but that is only because I am comparing this to an IPA and I have to continue to remind myself that this is not and IPA. Crisp and refreshing and would make one hell of a hot summer beer.

Overall: Really enjoyed this beer and would love to be able to get some of this to enjoy on a hot, humid summer day here in Chicago. (1,390 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle courtesy of Celticfutblclub, thanks again.

Pours a very clear light orange with 1 finger of fine white head that sticks around in a thin layer.

Really nice hoppy aroma, tons of fruit, citrus and tropical fruits. Not much else to the aroma other than hops but the hops are really nice.

The taste is more of the same. A lot of nice light hops with a strong amount of bitterness, very clean aftertaste indicative of the lagering. Really smooth, though I think I would have liked to have just a bit more going on other than the hops. Couldn't really detect much malt or yeast.

The mouthfeel is light, bordering on too light. I can't decide if I like the lightness which lends drinkability or if I want it to be more substantial. Definitely lighter than your typical IPA.

Overall this is a nice beer. I had it with my dinner and it has enough flavor to stand on its own against a nice thai curry, but it is also light enough that I don't feel full after drinking it. Glad I got the chance to try it, I will definitely seek out more Jack's Abby next time I visit relatives in the NE. (1,089 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into lager glass.

Deep golden orange with a humongous frothy head that subsided to a tight layer with tons of lacing start to finish. Aroma was malty, earthy, some yeast, citrus fruit, a slight but of pine resin. The citrus aroma reminds me of lemon lime hard candies. Get the malts immediately on he sip, then a huge blast of citrus more grapefruit than the nose suggested. Earthy underneath, nice hit of bitterness, not overwhelming. Tiny bit of breadiness or yeast, slightly toasty. Flavor hits and passes quickly, and grapefruit and maybe mango linger just a bit. Very clean and refreshing, light on the palate. Finishes dry and makes you want more. The carbonation is light and refreshing. Very drinkable and can see this on a hot summer day. Subtle, complex enough to be interesting, well balanced. Another winner from Jacks Abby. (844 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle courtesy of cbeer88, thanks again!

Pours a bright and slightly hazy gold color with a huge white head.

Aromas are very nice. Notes of hard candies, sugary citrus, floral hop cones and crackers.

Taste is light and hoppy. Crackers, bread dough, and light creamy sweetness up front. Finish is snappy and crisp with bitter grapefruit, and mineral bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth with plenty of body and nice carbonation.

Overall, a very tasty lager. Very refreshing and super drinkable, would be a treat on a warm day. (526 characters)

Big thanks goes out to MSquared2 for sharing this one during one of our random Sunday tastings! Served from bottle into Sweetwater 15th Anniversary snifter. Poured a pale golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, marijuana, fruit hop, and pine resin. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, marijuana, pine, pine resin, earth hop, and spicy hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. There were quite a few different components going on in both the nose and flavor of this one that really kept me on my toes. With having a few brews from this brewery that night I can honestly say that they have aromas pinned down. With just a little more robustness this could definitely be a standout for the style. I suggest you get your hands on some of these or other brews from them if you get the chance. You won’t regret it. (1,023 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

I originally had a 4 oz sample at the brewery, but I liked it so much that I got a growler.

64 oz growler poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L – Pale amber color with a 2-finger frothy cream-colored head. Great retention and nice lacing. Clear with good carbonation.

S – Bready and caramel malt with a wonderful bouquet of hops with grapefruit, mango, pineapple, peach, and some pine notes.

T – Starts off sweet with bready and grainy pilsner malts, some caramel, and some tropical fruits with mostly pineapple flavors. Hop bitterness builds at the finish with mostly grapefruit notes.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with good carbonation, a clean and mouth-coating feel, and bitter and slightly dry finish. Bitter citrus hop flavors linger.

O – This is a really nice lager. It’s crazy how these guys get so much flavor in these beers. You’d never think that they’re lagers. I’m not trying to badmouth lagers; it’s just that ales tend to have more complex flavor arrangements than lagers. Not so with Jack’s Abby. A major plus with these beers is that they still have the nice clean, refreshing feel of a lager with the vast range of flavors of an ale. Really tasty and drinkable beer. (1,222 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

500ml bottle poured into a Deschutes tulip glass. Thanks to Stearns16 for including this as an extra.

A - Pours a clear golden honey orange with a huge foamy white head. The head receded quickly but left some serious lacing behind. Like a snail sliding down the sides of the glass. Some serious retention going on.

S – Pale Lager? WTH is that? This smells like an IPA or super hoppy pale ale. In fact this really reminds me of what Row 2, Hill 56 smells like. Huge wafts of pine and grapefruit dominate the nose, along with a floral/grassy finish. Some biscuit malts are present, but this is mostly a hop forward beer.

T – Nice and bitter. Much less malts than I expected. Very astringent with grapefruit pith, pulp and rinds. Some grassy elements are also evident. There is a slight malty finish, but this is dominated by bitterness and finishes dry and bitter.

M – Medium Body with medium-high carbonation. Nice dry finish. Very crisp and clean. If Pliny and Prima Pils had a love child, this would be it. hops. Citrus, pine, grass, and some lemon. Then comes a cleaning wave of grainy malts. Quick finish with just a light lingering bitterness. Drinkability is incredibly high on this beer. Crisp and well carbonated.

O – This is a great beer, and I completely understand the Hype. My only gripe is that a lager shouldn’t be so high in ABV. When I chose to drink a lager or pilsner I do it usually to not have such a high ABV beer. Notwithstanding that, this is a great beer and is incredibly drinkable. (1,521 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle thanks to ILOVESTOUTS, poured into a Hill Farmstead glass.

Pour: Nearly clear orange with two fingers of white, super sticky head. Leaves incredible lacing, and the head forms a nice film.

Smell: A definite lager aroma hits at first, but then is crushed by a huge pine and citrus profile. Big lemon and limes. Some light breadyiness tries to balance, but only barely.

Taste: Again, lager bready hits first, but the hops hijack the taste in an instant. Huge pine, and some clean citrus. A little bit of doughy breadyness it, but only just. Finishes bitter with pine.

Mouthfeel: It's a lager, so naturally, this is amazingly drinkable. The hop profile reminds me of Sculpin. Nice bitterness, and very refreshing.

Overall: This is a beer I would choose over most IPAs. Just fantastic. (795 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Brewed 9/24

Golden - mostly clear with a sticky, rocky white head. Plenty of visible carbonation with little bubbles clinging to the bottom of the glass. Really like the smell: grassy, weedy, lemony. I take a big easy swig and it’s very refreshing: earthy, crisp, and bitter, this can quench a thirst and a buzz. Nice finish though I could use a little more carbo. I love lagers so I’m lucky enough to live in the distro zone. Seek this one out. (450 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a very slightly amber color with a half finger of off white head. The head fades quickly to a ring around the pour with a small island in the middle.

Smell: Juicy citrus fruit along with grapefruit peel hop bitterness. There is a nice balance between the malt and the hops. Reminds me of a nice west coast IPA.

Taste: Not quite as nice as the smell. I'm getting lots of citrus peel bitterness, but the sweeter citrus juice like notes aren't there as much as they were in the smell. The finish is extremely bitter and almost a bit acidic. The malt behind the hops is bready but not particularly sweet.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with a ton of fluffy, tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This one smelled fantastic but I thought the taste fell a bit short. It was still quite good, but I wouldn't call it fantastic. I'd have more to see if my opinion changes. (947 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle 6,7% Abv.
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.
No bottle date visible.

Thanks to gn0sis for this amazing extra!

Appearance: Hoponius (I think this will have to be the name of my next cat) pours a lightly hazed, bright golden-orange, while a standard pour yields a massive, creamy, off white head. The head lasts fantastically and leaves thick clumps of lacing clinging to the glass as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Mmmm, this smells amazing - Eric must have grabbed this one directly off of the bottling line as the nose is still bursting with hops! Fruity hops dominate the first few sniffs, with notes of orange, lemon, tangerine, paw-paw and traces of mango, pineapple and granadilla. As the beer begins to open up, herbal, resinous and floral hop characters also become apparent. The combination of the floral character and the sweet citrus yields a distinct orange blossom aroma. As the beer approaches room temperature, some underlying biscuity malt is noted.

Taste: Delicious, absolutely delicious. The flavour offers big leafy/herbal and resinous hop flavours upfront, with added notes of grapefruit peel, sweet citrus (orange and lemon), floral notes (orange blossom again) and tropical fruits (pineapple). The finish is quite bitter and displays a wonderful crispness that only a lager yeast can deliver.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a medium-high level of fairly smooth carbonation.

Overall: Hoponius is the first India pale lager I have had and it was absolutely fantastic. The crispness derived from the lager yeast certainly make this one of the most refreshing beers around. It was 40 degrees Celsius today and this just hit the spot - I would kill for this to be my summer staple. (1,727 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jack's Abby Hoponious Union
12/14/12
.5L bottled 10/31/12

Golden amber with brilliant clarity. Tightly-bubbled, effervescent head. (4)

Aroma is somewhat restrained hop-wise. I get some grass and tropical fruit, but it's muted and uninteresting overall. (3)

Flavor is exceptionally clean, with a firm herbal bitterness. There's really not a whole lot going on here other than hops and slightly biscuit malts. Subtle notes of orange and mango. Mouthfeel is medium-light, but the carbonation seems large-bubbled and not very smooth. Dry and very drinkable on the whole. (3.5, 3.5)

I feel like this level of crispness and refreshment can be found in a top-fermented IPA. There's really nothing exclusive or interesting about this beer being an "IPL". I enjoy it, it's well-made, but at the end of the day, I reach for a lager when I feel like drinking something more traditionally German or Czech. When I want hops, I reach for a local, dry-hopped ale that can be consumed within weeks after fermentation, not months. If I lived in Framingham, I'd get growlers of this beer and be slightly confused, but pleasantly drunk. (3.5) (1,127 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

On tap at the Armsby Abbey.

A: Pours a clear-golden straw color with a finger and a half of white, fuzzy head. A very nice looking beer.

S: Hops. Pine and resin are present up front. There are some citrus notes as well, but this is all pine with some grassy, floral aroma.

T: Lots of up front hops on the first taste. Lots of hop bitterness. A bit unbalanced compared to the flavoring hops. Lots of pine and grassy notes, with a bit of grapefruit and perhaps a touch of mango on the back end. This being a lager, the malt backbone is really muted, too much so really. It's really a bit of a bland-bodied beer, with a nice hop profile that just overwhelms the backbone.

M: Kind of thin and watery, but with a really nice crisp, clean finish. With some more body to this, it would be truly excellent as I really enjoy the lager finish.

O: I was really excited to try this beer as I've heard a lot of good things about it. I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I'll definitely give it another try in a bottle, but it was a bit too thin-bodied and dry for my tastes. (1,076 characters)

Appearance is perfect if you love gold with heady lacing galore. The carbonation is just right, and as I have come to love from Jack's Abby, the unfiltered unpasteurized product is pure.
Smell is hoppy but not overly so. Well, it is a whole nose full of hops. A bit of citrus too
Taste is something that will blow your mind in this beverage. Higher than a five/five
Mouthfeel is so crisp and so smooth I can't imagine anything being more heavenly.
Overall these lagers Jack's Abby makes are some of the greatest beers today. Affordable and oh so delicious, the Hoponius Union is the kind of beer I wish I could drink more regularly. (632 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

My, oh my have Jack's Abby gone ahead and revolutionized the craft beer world or what? Okay, okay maybe I'm giving them a little too much credit, but one must admit, they have crafted an excellent beer that offers a nice, unique blend between two popular types of beer - an IPA and a Lager. Ladies and gentleman, my I announce to you on behalf of Jack's Abby, the IPL.

Imagine the citrusy hoppiness of an IPA, but with the crispness of a lager. The smell alone will make you think your drinking an IPA, yet the aftertaste will reward you with the refreshing, crisp wetness that comes along with a lager.

The flavor is certainly citrusy, slightly piney, and even a bit grapefruitey from time to time. With what tastes like centennial hops, or something similar to it (perhaps cascade), one will feel they are drinking a light-bodied IPA.

Even the color bears similar resemblance, giving a nice hazy yellow-amber color with a small, creamy head at top.

I’ll be blunt and open with the end of this review - Hoponius Union is exceptional. Jack’s Abby has certainly taken a step in the right direction with this beer, and other breweries could certainly learn from their ideas. (1,183 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

My first IPA/lager? Weird style. Never even heard of it.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden orange/yellow color with a finger of white head.

Smell: Smells of citrusy hops, tropical fruits, and lager yeast.

Taste - Taste is amazing. Tropical fruits, citrus, and the aftertaste of a lager. So weird, yet so good.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is perfect.

Overall: One of the best beers I've ever had. (398 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

500ml bottle into a snifter. The brew appears a clear orange with a finger of white frothy. Patchy legs of lace stick to the glass and the cap displays decent retaining powers.

The aroma is tropical with hop character. Somewhat herbal with pine, rind and pulp to zest of something like oranges or grapefruit. A mild inclsuion of supporting fruity alcohol.

The taste is surprisingly toasty with bready malt. Considering the aroma, I was expecting a hoppy assault right upfront but instead its quite grainy. Toffee mixes with sulfur and a bit of a cheesy hop flavor mixed with herbs towards the back.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is earthy herbal and cheesy with plenty of bitterness and a veggie hop flavoring. I would have this again if the opportunity presented itself. (813 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a nice burst of grassy hops bitterness followed by some citrus and caramel sweetness. Then there is some breadiness from lager yeast and a hearty but not too heavy malt character to create a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good variation of style, this is an excellent beer with plenty of flavor and substance to make it worth pounding down for a whole evening. (844 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

So I guess this brew is an APL or an IPL... either way it seems to be an "Ale" inspired lager. Thanks to cbeer88 for sending this one my way. Appearance is slightly hazy and orange. Fluffy white head forms and retains nicely, heavy lacing left behind. The aroma features lemon, earthy, pine, and grass. Very hoppy with notes of cracker underneath. The taste starts with a touch of malty graininess followed by a touch of sweetness. Then comes a wave of hoppy bitterness in the form of grass and pine. It finishes off with more cracker and bread notes. Very nice range of flavors here with good balance. Mouthfeel is moderate with appropriate carbonation. Overall, this is a lager I could get in to. Definitely one to try for the hop heads out there. (749 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Joined BA today and glad to have a beer from MA be my first review!

Serving: 16.9oz btl. into a Boulevard Tulip
A - Light sunrise & golden hues with a couple fingers of eggshell hue head. Nice legs.
S - Sumptuous esters of juicy south American fruit mixed with pine and light scents that remind me of an herbal garden. I'm very "nosy" and this is one of those brews that you can kick back, stick your nose right in, take a sip, and repeat many times over.
T - To me, this is a very enjoyable brew. A terse, malt foundation that nicely hits the mid-palate while cheerful citrus flavors mix with very light herb garden notes and roll around and waft back up through your nose. Love it.
M- Medium to light mouth feel but there is a quality, well balanced sense to it. A brew that you can enjoy a couple bottles of within a couple hours.
O - Big fan for many reasons - gratifying and very pleasurable beer from a MA brewery with some ingredients from MA. (Thank you, Kelly's Package Store!) (987 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

500ml bottle into a SA perfect pint. Just showed up on shelves again so fairly fresh.

A - Pours a very clear golden amber body. Massive amount of sudsy foam. Clinging and sticky with excellent retention.

S - Piney and bitter grapefruit, floral grass, and cereal grain. Very IPA like, subdued but excellent.

T - Bitter hops. Citrus, pine, grass, and some lemon. Then comes a cleaning wave of grainy malts. Quick finish with just a light lingering bitterness. Drinkability is incredibly high on this beer. Crisp and well carbonated.

O - Jacks's Abby knows lagers and this is the best one I've tried from them yet. Takes the best elements of an Indian pale ale and a pale lager to create an incredibly delicious and sessionable beer. (734 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5%

Served on-tap in a Shaker pint at Sunset Grill (Boston, MA).

A: Straw yellow with creamy 1-2 finger off-white tightly bubbled head with good retention and copious lacing.

S: AMazing hops aroma of pineapple, mango, lemon, and pine resin with a lightly bready malt component. Reminds me a little bit of sweeter lemon shortbread but with the lemon and herbal hoppiness and fruitness magnified.

T: I liked the flavor with the blast of lemon and pineapple hoppiness carrying this beer. The malting is well done -- this is a beer brewed with care. The hops, while intense, do not overwhelm and match well with the lightly sweet and bready maltiness.

M: I didn't really enjoy the mouthfeel at all, and I think it detracts a lot from the enjoyment of this beer. I am not sure if it just an unhappy marriage of lighter body, high carbonation, and intense bitter hoppiness but this has an astringent rather than crisp quality.

O: Despite the disappointment of the mouthfeel, this is a fun beer to drink with big time hoppiness in a leaner package. (1,043 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a beautiful and lagery yellow with slight amber and golding, while appearing very clean in the body with a huge rocky white head that appears creamy and soft on top and leaves sticky patches of splattering lacing on the sides of the glass. Carbonation is steady but not torrential, and this beer looks nice and clean with the just the slightest hint of haze appearing in the beer. On the nose, this beer is everything you would want it to be; big and resiny, with a smell that just begs for the nose to be shoved in it. Sticky pine melds with faint lemon citrus, mango, passion fruit, big grassy notes, and a faint light hint of sweet biscuit bread. The beer has a great smell, and is probably the best lager I have ever smelled. On the taste, the beer is superb. It begins surprisingly malty with grassy and cereal notes before opening into biscuity malts and then big bitter hits and snuggles into the cavities of your mouth. Grass is huge in the hop flavor, providing perfect balance to creamy malts which linger in the sides of your mouth, even as the bitter bites. Pine and citrus also are present in the hops and provide lovely flavors reminiscent of a West Coast IPA. The mouthfeel is clean and slightly crisp with just the right amount of bitters to kiss the tongue even as the beer takes on a creamy feel as it caresses your mouth. The mouth is left dry and bitter on the roof of the mouth and on the tongue while slight trickles of saliva run on along the sides of the mouth. Overall, this beer is superb. A new style perfectly created. I have been hearing so many calls for an India Pale Lager from so many people in the craft beer world that I just figured it wasn’t doable, and yet here Hoponius Union sits as just that. IPA lovers should try this beer, lager lovers should try this beer, and everyone should try this beer! It is superb, and represents the perfect union and balance between hops, malts, and the clean-beer-feel that lager yeast creates. Just like this country is the perfect union of all that other stuff! Try this beer! (2,067 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks Again to @cartoonshop for turning me on to Jack's Abbey's lagers!!

Pours a beautiful straw meets sunlit honey. (bad poetic attempt) Rich frothy head forms with a medium pour. Like that thick, semi-solid foam you get blowing off during fermentation.

Nose: Hops burst out upon popping the seal. Wow, this is a lager, yet it really comes off like a strong APA or IPA in the esthers.

Hops are the main note to this beer, malt is in the backseat. But oh so pleasant. Piney, but not strongly so. Almost a dry earthiness meets a dry sweetness.

Mouth is light, dry and somewhat piney staying in the front of the mouth/tongue. Actually stays there for a while without being resiny or oily. Clean! (698 characters)

Hoponius Union from Jack's Abby Brewing