Hoponius Union - Jack's Abby Brewing

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Lager |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: mschofield on 08-07-2011

This lager harmoniously combines lager yeast fermentation and west coast IPA hops. Our India style Pale Lager is like a traditional IPA but with a twist - it’s fermented cold and aged for extended periods. A blend of classic American hops creates a huge tropical fruit and citrusy hop aroma. A dry finish accentuates the pleasant bitterness and hop profile. Hoponius Union uses locally grown dehulled spelt from MA.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,129 | Reviews: 307

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have several IPAs that I love but this beer is a real treat. It's got a great flavor profile and I find it slightly creamier than the IPAs I typically enjoy. Every time I have one I'm pleasantly surprised, and I'm now buying it by the case at my local Costco. This is a truly delicious beer that I often recommend.

4.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is very tasty! I love fact how they made this beer so earthy and a hint of citrus. The smell to me almost has a weed smell. awesome beer, and good buy.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

enjoyed on-tap at the pour farm tavern in new bedford.

a: clear golden color with a fluffy white head that sticks to the sides of the glass for a long time

s: strong hop aroma...notes of citrus and pine. the nose very similar to a west coast IPA

t: loads of hop flavor, with notes of citrus and tropical fruits with a light pine bitterness. finishes dry and clean. very drinkable. the lager yeast makes this more drinkable than any hop bomb i've ever had.

m: smooth mouthfeel.

so glad to see a lager with that citrusy west coast hop flavor. huge marks for creativity. well worth seeking out.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my top ten beers ever. This is one outstanding lager.
The pour is a light amber color with a beautiful and lasting head.
As you approach the glass the aroma of citra and simcoe hops grabs you by the nosehairs and drags you in! I almost enjoy smelling this beer as much as drinking it!
But get to the drinking! Mmmm . crisp and clean as a lager should be, with those hoppy aromas now transformed into a nicely balanced bitterness and hops flavor. Delicious and smooth - I can drink a lot of this beauty.

Also... kudos to Jack's Abby for sending a lowly homebrewer like me the recipe for this deliciousness... which I brewed and served at my son's wedding - everyone was amazed. I was quick to give credit where credit is due - thanks JA!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really great beer

Pours beautiful gold with coppery hues and slightly cloudy appearance. Very nice look.

Smell is pretty potent and hits you with piney smells with a hint of sweet grass. Very inviting.

Upon first sip smell and taste merge with the creamy slick and oily mouthfeel to produce a wonderful sensation.

Taste is too complex to put into words yet makes perfect sense. Hop level is perfect for the malts and the effects of the yeast and lagerization blend it so nicely. Hops -> malts -> crisp sweetness where the whole thing just sails along like the santa maria through buttery golden clouds of mashed potatoes.

I mean wow, this is the ipl that all others wish they were. Absolutely fantastic and a must try.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hoponius Union from Jack's Abby Brewing