Jabby Brau - Jack's Abby Brewing

Jabby BrauJabby Brau

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

Deep golden in color, this low ABV lager balances Pilsner and Munich malt with an aromatic American hop aroma. This beer starts hoppy but finishes unexpectedly malty with very low bitterness. Impressively flavorful and drinkable for the lightest beer we brew. We dub this beer a "Session Lager," as we once again brew a lager in a beer style of its own. Uses local Soft Red Winter Wheat from Four Star Farms.

(Beer added by: jlindros on 01-15-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jabby Brau Alström Bros

Kevincredible, Mar 14, 2014
3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

Slightly cloudy brass with rocky steady white froth.
Fresh grassy noble nose with some toasted grain.
Doughy, a bit of golden syrup, some granola, and mild herbal hops.
Honey graham comeback and clean linger.
Crisp, light, slight cling.

Easy, but you can taste the quality. A lager, not a pils, so only 20 IBUs, no matter what I want it to be. Yet also thin and underdeveloped. I've had this idea done better (i.e. Session Lager).

StJamesGate, Mar 11, 2014

jkeefe1800, Mar 09, 2014

WeisGuy, Mar 08, 2014

Andy1978, Mar 07, 2014

iL0VEbeer, Mar 03, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle picked up locally enjoyed from a jack's abby snifter. Brew pours a soft transparent yellow orange with a thin fizzy head gone quick. Nose is subtle pilsner malt with a hint of grain. Taste is also fairly mellow. A true session lager. But well made. Malty with a lager bite.

cosmicevan, Mar 02, 2014

wtkphoto, Feb 28, 2014

PekaMcD, Feb 27, 2014

Varkias41, Feb 24, 2014

TomTown, Feb 22, 2014

Tarps68, Feb 22, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -14.9%

Hab11 and I both drank our own 12oz bottle.

Appearance: Very nice unfiltered look. Yeast held in suspension for a cloudy storm of a beer. Actually, the more I look at this in the light the more I'm impressed by it. Golden amber honey.

Smell: Light hop nose. Can't pick out the hop varieties but they are pleasant, if faint. After several minutes and a few sips I think I'm picking up very faint kiwi hops. Nice balance here.

Taste: Extremely sessionable. Flavorful but not overwhelming. Picking up faint...grapefruit? Doesn't give off the intense lager flavor profile. This starts off almost boring but with every sip gets better and better; a true session beer.

Mouthfeel: As a session beer one would expect it to have a light grain bill so as not to overwhelm. Jabby Brau hits this mark but on this occasion I'd prefer a 'fuller' beer. Not really sure how I feel about the mouth. It's just a little too watery for me.

Overall: Hmm. It's hard to rate this one. I think they really hit their mark with making a highly drinkable sessionable beer. I'd like to have more out of this beer but based on what they were going for I think they really did a great job. Light hop presence, small input from the lager yeast, moderate but light malts...how do I feel? This wouldn't be my first choice out of a random 100 beers but I think they accomplished what they were going for and for that I say kudos.

ThreeLions, Feb 20, 2014
3.04/5  rDev -21.9%

Tested with 3 Lions from a 12 oz. glass.

Appearance: look of apple juice with plenty of unfiltered goodness floating around. Lots of carbonation evident but the white head is quick to disappear.

Smell: Sour grapefruit smell with hints of lemon. Also has a proofed bread dough smell as well.

Taste: Not much to it really. Pretty balanced between hops and malt but not enough of either. Truthfully I think I get better overall flavor from a PBR. The yeasts do give some tang but again not enough. All that being said quite drinkable in quantity but not sure I'll go back to it.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent, light watery feel, a little bit like Pellegrino water. Doesn't feel like it will fill you up. No richness to it.

Overall: The smell was the best thing about this for me. If I wanted to get drunk I'd go for it but truthfully might go to other mass produced American Lagers. This beer isn't bad but definitely the Jack's Abbey I like the least so far. Although I haven't reviewed many I really like great lager's. this just isn't one.

Hab11, Feb 20, 2014

Bnjmnlws, Feb 11, 2014

stella77artois, Feb 11, 2014

Dasein11, Feb 10, 2014
4.29/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a deep golden body around the straw colored hues and offers a mammoth sized, pillowy white head which slowly dissolves to leave traces of lacing about the glass.

At first sniff the pilsner malts are most apparent with the Munich variety coming forward as it warms. The pale straw aromas are very fresh and clean with just a touch of fresh grassy hops.

The flavor is similar with crisp snappy flavor of the pilsner malt mingling with the grassy hops and later the Munich malt.

Tremendously clean on the palate with a snapping finish. Generous carbonation and a smooth, zesty feel.

Great beer. Awesome alternative to the "name your session ipa" beers. Completely clean, fresh and packed with character.

CHADMC3, Feb 10, 2014