Private Rye Bière De Garde - Jack's Abby Brewing

Private Rye Bière De GardePrivate Rye Bière De Garde

Jack's Abby Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.20% ABV

This lager is brewed in the French farmhouse style. We add our own twist by adding 30% Rye Malt, locally grown Triticale from MA and amber Belgian candy sugar. We leave this beer slightly hazy to accentuate the mild fruity yeasty character. Copper in color, a spicy Rye flavor emerges in a dry yet malty finish after lagering for five weeks near freezing.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 03-16-2012)

Mikeypnh, Sep 26, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Rekrule, Mar 03, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

tommyguz, Jun 25, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -28.9%

Thanks to jaasen64 for including this as an extra in a recent trade. Always love to try new beers.

Poured from the bottle into a Brewery Vivant tulip.

Smell is slightly funky, slightly sour. Gives the impression that this will have a nice sour bite.

Wow, the taste is just a hot mess. I get very little of the sourness I was initially expecting. Instead, the palate is overwhelmed with a spicy, barnyardy funk that competes with the tinge of sourness in this beer. Also has a weirdly medicinal, off-putting finishing taste. No cohesiveness in the flavors of this beer whatsoever.

Overall, this was a very, very big dissapointment to me. I disagree with all the other reviews, the spiciness of the rye and hops do not play well with slight sourness, and the flavors simply clash. In addition, this brew is a lager, but there is no cleanliness or crispness to this. IMHO, a fruitier ale yeast may have been able to pull the seperate elements of this beer together. In the end, I took about three drinks of this, kept trying to like it, and then drainpoured the rest of the bottle.

thebigredone, Oct 12, 2012
2.94/5  rDev -22%

Acquried in a trade with the gracious ICCULIS - thanks again, buddy! Label identifies it as a biere de garde; I'm reviewing a such. 30 IBUs. Original Gravity: 14.5. 6.0% ABV according to my bottle. Spring 2013 vintage. Expectations are very high; I've heard great things about Jack's Abby and this is my first beer from them. .5 litre bottle with appealing label art and standard silver pressure cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stemtulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger white-khaki colour head of fair cream and thickness. Retention is average (~2 minutes). Body colour is a pleasant dark orange. Lacks the vibrance I'd expect from a good biere de garde, but it's appealing. Nontransparent. Semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Lightly hazy. Looks pretty good for the style, but I've seen far better. Not unique or special, but inviting.

Sm: Delightfully evocative malts. Brown sugar, spicy rye malts, and some bready graininess. Redolent of wood syrup of some kind. Candi sugar doesn't quite match the style, but it seems to work here. Pleasantly toasty. Toffee. Caramel. A bit biscuity. Nicely sweet. Vaguely fruity. It's certainly not what I expect from a biere de garde, but it does come off unique - and most of all, appealing. Not much in the way of spice, yeasty character, or hop character. Incidentally, hopping seems minimal in strength and floral in character. A pleasant aroma of average to above average strength.

T: Hm. Getting the wood syrup just after the open with some well integrated caramel and surprisingly neutral rye - i.e. it's not all that spicy - especially for the style. The candi sugar lends a rounded pleasant sweetness, but does come off like it doesn't belong in the flavour profile and shifts the balance and focus away from the subtle toasted character it'd otherwise possess. Biscuit malt, some pale malt, caramalts. Bready grains form the even-keeled backbone, which isn't as supportive as I'd like. No cream, yeasty character, or alcohol comes through. Vaguely fruity - perhaps apple skin?

Constructively, it does come off a bit homebrew-esque; there's something about the generic malty taste in the early second act that reminds me of many unfocused homebrews I've tried. I expected at least some yeast character. It feels a bit forced and clinical for the style; it doesn't have the natural cohesion of a more traditional example of the style and I think the candi sugar addition may be to blame. Looking at the label, I'm beginning to get an idea of what the problem may be: they combine "the strict standards of traditional German brewing with the innovative approach of American craft brewers" - and this a traditional French farmhouse style. Something's getting lost in translation.

The balance isn't ideal, but in spite of my criticisms I do like the beer. Sure, the complexity and subtlety I want aren't there, but it's tasty in spite of its flaws.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some tingly coarseness on the finish, which lightly encourages the next sip. Pretty good carbonation. A bit too thick for the lack of depth and diversity of flavour. A bit weak, especially in the second act. Should be crisper and softer. Presence on the palate is pretty decent otherwise.

Dr: Admittedly, I expected better given the reputation of the brewery. It's actually somewhat difficult to drink considering the relatively manageable ABV; I certainly couldn't quaff it. A redolence of homebrew qualities coupled with a problematic balance brings it down for me, but ultimately I do like it. It's not among the best beers in the style I've had (even from American breweries), but I'm thinking this may not be the ideal Jack's Abby beer on which to start constructing an opinion of the brewery as a whole. Looking forward to trying more from then and I'm glad I have a couple in the fridge for that very reason. I'm grateful I got the opportunity to try this, but I wouldn't want another one. I applaud the experimentation, but it misses the mark for me.

High C

BarrelAgedBrian, Apr 04, 2013

pixieskid, Jul 01, 2013

carndog, Apr 14, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -17%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear golden orange, verging on amber. A few bubbles. Thin collar.

Smell - Strong caramel. No sweetness. Some spicy rye. A little bit of fruitiness.

Taste - A bit of fruitiness before a dry caramel kicks in. Fairly bland. Bitter rye in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and clean. Low carbonation. Medium body.

Overall - Kinda uninteresting. Nothing truly special coming out of this.

Alieniloquium, Jun 25, 2013